Episodes: 55

Director: Yu Zheng

Broadcast Period: 3/20/2020

Cast:

Charmaine Sheh

Huang Xiao Ming

Zheng Yin

Synopsis:

Republican-era opera actor Shang Xirui is determined to promulgate the traditional art form, and gains a fan in wealthy merchant Cheng Fengtai. Together, they rebuild the local theatre and help train several young acting hopefuls. When the Japanese occupy Beiping, they devote themselves to the revolution in an effort to protect their country.

(Source: cfensi)

Winter Begonia 鬓边不是海棠红 Viki Episodes

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

Winter Begonia 鬓边不是海棠红 Viki Episodes

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.  PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to SoompiSupport

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I have been without a good Chinese drama for the past month, before I chance upon this. 10 eps were released already.  I just finished 2 eps. As usual the first 2 eps are to lay out the basics of the plot for us viewers to understand the story better.  So can be a bit slow.

The episodes following these should be interesting. Obviously, there is a strong Bromance.  Although some people say BL. Yin Zheng looks good when he transformed himself into a Female Chinese Opera Lead Performer.  Huang Xiao Ming is equally good in his role.  Worth watching:P

On 3/15/2020 at 10:58 PM, sugarplum892 said:

wonder whats charmaine's purpose in this drama lol 

I read that Charmaine plays the Jealous Wife.  So trouble is brewing for the Bromance:o

So..I just started watching this to kill time and it's not depressing so far!

Yin Zheng's character is so cute lol Shang Xirui is talented, accomplished and has high standards for his craft. He's unappreciative of hierarchy but knows who is good to him and who isn't. Still, he's kinda unruly lol despite that lotsa ppl are packing heat and abuse authority in this era. He's pretty self-righteous about loyalties and is very emotional. These aren't bad per se, but there's a time and place everything lol. I feel that he's cute because of his mannerisms. He's got such a pouty face haha. 

Cheng Fengtai is okay. He's pretty slick as a character. 

2 hours ago, crackaddict said:

damn nobody else is watching it? 

I am :3 And thoroughly enjoying the interactions between the two leads. Dramas set in this era aren't my usual cup of tea, but I've already watched all the episodes available. 

Hi, where is everybody?:huh:  How are you progressing, Crackaddict?  Guess this drama is not popular because the topic is such heavy stuff.  And it is Male-Centric.  

Great Moments to look out for :

Last Scene of Ep 9 is great.  Cheng Fen Tai (Huang Xiao Ming) went backstage to have a look at Shang Xi Rui in his costume.  And" hey presto".  He could not take his eyes off Shang Xi Rui (Andrew Yin Zheng).  He was mesmerised by his Transformations

Towards the end of Ep 10.  CFTai's wife was there to check it out. As a female and CFTai's wife she is cynical in her compliments.  But Shang Xi Rui's solo opera performance is impressive.  Although when the camera focusses on his hands, we can see it is a man's hand, the movements are outstanding

But trouble is brewing: 1) CFTai's brother-in-law, the General is in shady biz. CFTai provides him with guns & medicines, thinking they are for anti-Japanese forces  But the General is working with the Japanese instead.  Making CFTai an accomplice - a partner in crime. His estranged eldest son has spilled the beans to CFTai and now he is worried. 

2) Shang XR's female staff has passed some unpleasant remarks on CFTai's wife.  Said she does not look compatible with CFTai.  Even went as far as to suggest that she a mere Chinese Opera side performer also looks better than Mrs Cheng Fen Tai.  And that if CFT often frequents their performance, he might even falls for her instead.  (Mrs CFTai's maid hear all these and will definitely report to her later)

Looking forward to ep 11 & beyond.....

Andrew Yin Zheng is an ardent fan of Leslie Cheung.  He must be estatic to land this role.  I can't help thinking of Leslie Cheung

59 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

Hi, where is everybody?:huh:  How are you progressing, Crackaddict?  Guess this drama is not popular because the topic is such heavy stuff.  And it is Male-Centric.  

Great Moments to look out for :

Last Scene of Ep 9 is great.  Cheng Fen Tai (Huang Xiao Ming) went backstage to have a look at Shang Xi Rui in his costume.  And" hey presto".  He could not take his eyes off Shang Xi Rui (Andrew Yin Zheng).  He was mesmerised by his Transformations

Towards the end of Ep 10.  CFTai's wife was there to check it out. As a female and CFTai's wife she is cynical in her compliments.  But Shang Xi Rui's solo opera performance is impressive.  Although when the camera focusses on his hands, we can see it is a man's hand, the movements are outstanding

But trouble is brewing: 1) CFTai's brother-in-law, the General is in shady biz. As his biz-partner, that makes CFTai an accomplice - a partner in crime. His estranged eldest son has spilled the beans to CFTai and now he is worried. 

2) Shang XR's female staff has passed some unpleasant remarks on CFTai's wife.  Said she does not look compatible with CFTai.  Even went as far as to suggest that she a mere Chinese Opera side performer also looks better than Mrs Cheng Fen Tai.  And that if CFT often frequents their performance, he might even falls for her instead.  (Mrs CFTai's maid hear all these and will definitely report to her later)

Looking forward to ep 11 & beyond.....

Andrew Yin Zheng is an ardent fan of Leslie Cheung.  He must be estatic to land this role.  I can't help thinking of Leslie Cheung

Thank you so much for the explanations :D! 

I'm watching this raw and so I am only able to understand the absolute basics (if at all) of their conversations. 

You're not alone haha, it's just that dramas set in this era don't seem as popular. Judging from the trailers, it will only get more political. And like you said, it's not exactly light and fluffy, even if there are moments that achingly sweet (and oh my goodness are they worth slogging through the rest of the episodes for). 

The chemistry between the two leads was sizzling, exactly what I needed after the drama drought. I mean, just the way they look at each other says more than enough. :rolleyes: 

Dramas in this era aren't popular because the time period is depressing lol. Moreover, for viewers like me, only the lifestyle of the rich is visually appealing. You all remember when they examined the roof in CFT's home? That blew me away! Of course, I rolled my eyes when the professor was like ohhh Chinese architects are so amazeballs! haha, i coulda figured that out on my own.

I am completely mesmerized and won over by SXR on scree. He's so beautiful, talented and charismatic. Otherwise, SXR in daily life is an idealistic artist with few life skills hahaha. YZ in this role is very cute. HXM as CFT is fine. He's attractive but not really pulling me in to his character. I forward all his scenes with his brother in law, so I'm grateful @hush puppy for explaining lol. There's no way corruption can be avoided when domains and territories are more or less being governed by the military. CFT is best with SXR. SXR and his opera troupe are interesting. Some of his people need attitude adjustments tho. Namely, they needa learn to keep their mouths shut. 

I think Charmaine Sheh is excellent in her role. Her character is clearly sharp, loving and protective. It's too bad that her husband and son are the center of her world. The sisters of CFT are also interesting individuals. The younger brother in law is less impressive as a character lol. 

I appreciated SXR's relationship with Bai Bing's character. It wasn't a cliche romance. Her internal struggle was obvious. I didn't like her at first. Then, I realized that she just wanted to live her own life, and still cared about SXR although he's difficult. I'm all for women wanting to choose their own paths. 

•  
On 3/25/2020 at 2:32 AM, crackaddict said:

Dramas in this era aren't popular because the time period is depressing lol. Moreover, for viewers like me, only the lifestyle of the rich is visually appealing. You all remember when they examined the roof in CFT's home? That blew me away! Of course, I rolled my eyes when the professor was like ohhh Chinese architects are so amazeballs! haha, i coulda figured that out on my own.

I am completely mesmerized and won over by SXR on scree. He's so beautiful, talented and charismatic. Otherwise, SXR in daily life is an idealistic artist with few life skills hahaha. YZ in this role is very cute. HXM as CFT is fine. He's attractive but not really pulling me in to his character. I forward all his scenes with his brother in law, so I'm grateful @hush puppy for explaining lol. There's no way corruption can be avoided when domains and territories are more or less being governed by the military. CFT is best with SXR. SXR and his opera troupe are interesting. Some of his people need attitude adjustments tho. Namely, they needa learn to keep their mouths shut. 

I think Charmaine Sheh is excellent in her role. Her character is clearly sharp, loving and protective. It's too bad that her husband and son are the center of her world. The sisters of CFT are also interesting individuals. The younger brother in law is less impressive as a character lol. 

I appreciated SXR's relationship with Bai Bing's character. It wasn't a cliche romance. Her internal struggle was obvious. I didn't like her at first. Then, I realized that she just wanted to live her own life, and still cared about SXR although he's difficult. I'm all for women wanting to choose their own paths. 

Very true. I myself is not a fan of this Era either - too depressing & "in between" i.e. neither in the period nor modern era yet. Politically in turmoil.

Oh yes.  I too felt the same way, when CFT's German acquaintance climbed up to examine the architectural works in the area between the roof and ceilings.  In modern buildings, they will be left in very slip-shod manner. But here they were planned and completed with such intricate workmanship and well-planned out architecture - which ensures "shockproof" (i.e. can withstand earthquakes)  and the ability to bear the weight of the entire roof.  That is why the German architectural expert is so impressed.  

Bai Bing' s character Jiang Meng Ping is not entirely faultless. She has given SXR false hope.  SXR as a young, innocent boy was very sternly disciplined by his "stage-father". She is kind and protective of him - fine.  But she must explain it clearly to him that this is a sisterly and motherly love.  You let him sleep with you every night (although nothing happens).  Even a mother would stop doing that after the child is grown. What do you expect SXR to think? And the words she said to him  were quite strong - I cannot remember but SXR did tell CFT in an earlier ep

Right. We don't have to worry about Charmaine Sheh.  She is a Veteran.

This drama points out a lot of the unhealthy attitudes of people. That is what I felt watching these few episodes 10 - 12:

- greed : SXR did not watch over his assets and accounts. So some of the senior male staff siphoned them off

- a lack of common-sense : E.g. La Yue Hong, the guy who is always a trouble-maker. (Wilful Stubborness: side with his female senior who left the troupe to marry a rich old man;  Recklessness:  tried to kill CFT's bro-in-law because he thought the Commander Cao caused their troupe's popularity to go down;  Inpropriety: enter CFT's manor via the backdoor to see his younger sister, even though his motive is innocent.  First he has to realise that they are people from two different worlds. It is not about being biased or class-conscious.  But e.g. one does not just walk in to see the President of a public-listed company. We need to make an appointment. Second it is suspicious to enter others' premise via the back door. Those days, only a thief or an assasin does that.  An honourable guest enters a person's house via the Main Front Door).  I still see such errors being commited in current day society.  People are basically still  the same throughout all eras. Same goes for the female staff who talks too much. Sometimes, one gets into more trouble for helping such people

- selfishness & ungratefulness: In ep 12, SXR tried to re-organise his troupe, by rotating the roles to those who have not been given a chance so far. He offered a role to the troublesome youngster. The older, senior male staff who used to act this role immediately left his troupe to join their competitor. Not only that, he also leaked SXR's new storyline and ideas to them.  (Reminds me of the Chinese Tycoon Guo Wengui who got asylum in USA. I lost respect for him immediately)

Overall, I find this to be a Quality Production: I like the casts, the sets, the lightings, the colour palettes, the costumes, the architecture of course & the story it tries to tell.  I couldn't help remembering The Yanxi Palace.  Yes, watching this I got that kind of feel.  On the flip-side, I wish this drama can quicken it's pace.  I hope and I think the excitements will come in soon

Charmaine Sheh Responds to Reduced Screen Time in “Winter Begonia”

By sammi on March 22, 2020 in NEWS, TV Dramas

Charmaine Sheh Responds to Reduced Screen Time in “Winter Begonia” 1031  54 

After Charmaine Sheh (佘詩曼) starred in Yangxi Palace <延禧攻略>, she landed another leading role in Yu Zheng’s (于正) periodic drama Winter Begonia <鬓边不是海棠红>. Playing as Huang Xiaoming’s (黄晓明) wife, fans were excited to see what Charmaine would bring to the drama but it was discovered that she actually does not make a lot of appearances in the drama. Regarding curiosity over this matter, Charmaine penned a long essay to explain why she accepted the role.

Reminiscing about her role in TVB Chinese opera drama, Perish In the Name of Love <帝女花>, Charmaine had a chance to sing an adaptation of the famous Chinese opera and developed an interest in China’s rich opera culture.

In 2018, Charmaine received the script for Winter Begonia and was excited to have the opportunity to act in the drama. Although the role had limited screen time, she was attracted to the Beijing opera themed drama and looked forward to preparing for the drama which included singing practices.

Comparing her role in Yangxi Palace to Winter Begonia, Charmaine felt that her character in the latter was “pure” yet strong to solve complex problems. Drawn to genuineness of the character, she could not resist taking on a role that has strong Beijing opera influence.

Responding to the drama’s lackluster reviews, producer Yu Zheng didn’t take them to heart. Charmaine wrote on Weibo, “What is my intention of filming? Is it not to give the audience a piece of the music and promote our intangible cultural heritage through the drama? The broadcasting purpose has been achieved. How superficial is it to compete for fame and profit from the ratings?”

Yu Zheng had a few words for the malicious netizens, “Originally, writing this reply was unnecessary, but I still want to say a few words. To all the malicious netizens, no matter what your methods are, you can’t stop our progress. As long as we all care a little more about our traditional culture, our Beijing opera is enough.”

This drama is available with  English subtitles at several streaming sites.
IQIYI App
IQIYI App Website to watch on your PC: https://www.iqiyi.com/intl/play/19rrhwhq9t
Viki: https://www.viki.com/tv/36554c-winter-begonia

MZTV YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkvG4EWPDB0mI-fxzZjW9T_zJAbGaotkX

KUKAN Drama Channel YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEXBGg5OB0B_H7vfc7J_KRA0Rym3bvnVr

I just jumped on this ship^^!!! I'm up to ep 2, and I love the dynamic of the drama. The plot is interesting, and the leads/casts are great at their role. I also like the period, and even though I don't know anything about Chinese's opera---I think it makes it exciting to watch this, and and see why it was so popular during its time and period. I didn't real the novel, so I'm watching this with a open-mind. So far, I like the pace and where each episode is going. Also, Shan Xi Rui's character is interesting to me----So far,  he's this great Opera performer----I haven't read any spoilers so I don't know what's gonna happen to him. I'm intrigued with the story-line, acting, set, and costumes^^.

Archived