[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Winter Begonia 鬓边不是海棠红

sugarplum892

question, is the opera singer inside Fengtai's pocket-watch SXR? I wondered how they met, did anyone read the novel?

Edit: OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG EP 9 was everything!!! I know this drama is based on a BL novel, and that there is no indication of BL in the drama, but you cannot just deny what you see in EP 9^^!!! EP 9 was one of the best episode that displayed the relationship/friendship/soulmate between our OTP. Some of the BL references on here is subtle, but you can see that CFT sees SXR more than just a friend. The way CFT looked at him, and when he smiles and talked to SXR, you can easily tell that their relationship is not just friendship^^. I really like the way HXM's eyes and smiles tells a different story every time he interacts, or looks at SXR. CFT clearly admired and love SXR^^!!! EP9 after CFT become a shareholder, he went to visit SXR and when SXR turns around, it's like CFT is seeing his bride for the first time----The music playing and the way their eyes looked at each other :).....Just so sweet, I have to re-watched that scene a few times, making sure my eyes weren't fooling me lol. Also, somewhere between the last 30 mins of EP9, when CFT and SXR were talking at the cafe/tea shop-----You can see CFT raised his eyebrows and kind of teased SXR. The subtle-ness of BL references is so sweet not to noticed. 

I didn't know I will come to like WB, but I'm glad I give it a chance. Even if's the BL concept is not there, the subtle aspects makes up for it. Now, I wish I read the novel before I watched this^^.

P.S. I looked up the eyebrows raised up thing, and it says that it can mean a way of flirting, or do it to someone you like^^. That was a cute scene!!!! 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi rosierosie, Yes the subtlelity of their relationship and each encounter is an "eyeful" - no need for any words. I know a lot of viewers don't like Huang Xiao Ming. I've only seen 2 of his dramas (Cruel Romance & NIF2). I like his performance in NIF2... and here as well.

I read that in the novel, they are Lovers. Here they are Soulmates. In ep 6, CFT explained that his father died, leaving a lot of debts behind. He has to abandon his studies of the Arts overseas and return home to salvage the situation. He has to give up his dreams and marry his wife who is from a rich family. But he is a good husband. He remains grateful and faithful to her.

But meeting SXR, allows him to relive his dreams again

In an earlier ep, CFT even gave SXR a Ring.  And SXR said, "He would die for him". (Such subtle but meaningful nuances:P).  This is only the second drama I've watched this year (after "Find Yourself":lol:).

This thread is so quiet.  I look forward to your posts

@hush puppy^^ oh yeah let's share our thoughts here together^^. I totally forgot that HXM was in NIF--I love that show!! I haven't watch a lot of HXM dramas/movies, but I find him to be a good actor. Do you know why people don't like HXM? Well, I just like his performance as an actor^^. Did you read the novel at all?^^ In the drama, some translation words are good----So I literally screamed when they mentioned to each other that they are soulmate. I don't watch the Iqiyi version, so I don't know if the subs are the same^^. Also, at the end of the preview---SXR asked CFT if he knew what a "confidant" is---So that to me, they see each other as more than just friends----They are each other's soulmates/lovers. 

CFT mentioned that his mother left the family to pursued her dream of working in the Opera-----does this mean his mother went to relived her dreams? 

Just the way CFT talked about SXR, you can tell his "hidden messages" in that he likes him. Like when he mentioned that SXR is like a different person when he performed---He immersed himself into his role and he becomes the person in the role (in some ways, I interpret this as him seeing SXR even as a woman???) 

It was cute when he got chocolates for SXR because he joked that he's like a child, frank and likes to eat snack.

What episode are you on? I'm currently on ep 10---gonna binged watch this show cause it's good^^!!!!!!!

Edit: Oh yeah it was cute to watch the scene where CFT looked over the finance account and questioned SXR how he let it become like that lol, just draw a line when they want to borrow money?? lol......

After reading what you guys have said, I feel silly for not waiting for the subs. I just dived straight into all the episodes available after the first two or so hooked me in. I'd wager that I can understand most of the basic interactions, but some nuances of their conversations are lost on me. I say all this, but I'm still going to carry on watching the episodes as they come out :D I'm just too impatient! It's a bit awkward that they dump all the episodes at the end of the week. It'd be nice if it was more spaced out. The wait would be less torturous. :lol: Although, it does mean I can get other stuff done before watching any new episodes. 

Ep 13

CFT lifestyles is different from SXR, so of course he finds it hard to eat the food that is given by SXR, their interaction is just so cute when SXR give him food--- because CFT found three performers for SXR^^. I'm so smitten with their eyes interactions and smiles at each other^^!!! 

That Jiang Dengbao is annoying and such an eyesores-He deserved his karma from SRX^^.

I actually like Mrs. Cheng, she is a good wife and madam. She treats her family nice and servants too. I understand her frustrations about CFT involvement with SXR, but it was uncalled for her to badmouth SXR and his worker.

Yuelong is such a sad character, he always gets in trouble, with SXR or someone else, but it does seems like he is doing better.

Watching this, you can feel and see the emotional connections between CFT and SXR, words don't need to be say----Their actions is everything^^.

EP15

That Jiang grandpa is so annoying. I'm glad SXR puts his foot down, and walked away from them. How dare they trying to teach him a lesson??!! Sad CFT was away so he wasn't there to help him :(. However, SXR knows fighting, so I'm glad he didn't get hurt too much. That Dengbao face always makes me laugh when he appeared on screen, that kind of character is so punchable and distasteful! 

Lol, all this time I just realized, the actor Merxat is Fan Lian....He looks so different with short hair. Totally differnt from his looks in LOYX.

The main ost from the beginning of the ep is so good!!! The melody, along with the opera and ballad just sounds so nice together. This drama is definitely one of the best this year^^!!!

On 4/1/2020 at 1:20 PM, rosierosie said:

question, is the opera singer inside Fengtai's pocket-watch SXR? I wondered how they met, did anyone read the novel?

No. That is CFT's mother

9 hours ago, rosierosie said:

@hush puppy^^ oh yeah let's share our thoughts here together^^. I totally forgot that HXM was in NIF--I love that show!! I haven't watch a lot of HXM dramas/movies, but I find him to be a good actor. Do you know why people don't like HXM? Well, I just like his performance as an actor^^.

In the years before NIF2, HXM used to take on roles which do not require acting skills. Just looking good. Thus he has earned the reputation of being an actor who cannot act

Ep 2:  CFT allows SXR to pick a mahjong tile for him.  All mahjong players should know.  They do not simply allow anyone to pick a mahjong tile for them.

Ep 6:  I especially like this ep.  Because that is when CFT is "reborned again".  His acting here is  "spot-on".  After SXR's performance, CFT wanders around with the snow poetically drifting down on him - in the throes of love and wonder, as if a "blind-fold" has suddenly been removed from over his eyes

The next day he sits and mope silently, still unable to get over it. Not caring if his wife is observing his behavior-transformation. Then he flops onto a sofa, clutches a pillow and raves over his best friend's talent and his own awakening

I can't help thinking that all these admirations and his discovery of Peking Opera, is just a gigantic metaphor for this whole bag of "ambiguous BL emotions".

BTW, most of the casts use their own voices. No dubbing.  Except for Charmaine Sheh - because she is from Hong Kong.

9 hours ago, galea said:

After reading what you guys have said, I feel silly for not waiting for the subs. I just dived straight into all the episodes available after the first two or so hooked me in. I'd wager that I can understand most of the basic interactions, but some nuances of their conversations are lost on me. I say all this, but I'm still going to carry on watching the episodes as they come out :D I'm just too impatient! It's a bit awkward that they dump all the episodes at the end of the week. It'd be nice if it was more spaced out. The wait would be less torturous. :lol: Although, it does mean I can get other stuff done before watching any new episodes. 

Hi Galea, Welcome back!  :wub:

^ love your comments^^.

Here I was thinking of HXM in NIF1 because I mixed him with Wang Kai lol. I didn't watch much of NIF2, so I forgot HXM was in there^^.

Bwtn, the main song is good, hopefully someone can interpret it^^.

14 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Sorry this Youtube Video is blocked:(

Oh it worked when I watched it just now. 

5 hours ago, hush puppy said:

No. That is CFT's mother

In the years before NIF2, HXM used to take on roles which do not require acting skills. Just looking good. Thus he has earned the reputation of being an actor who cannot act

Ep 2:  CFT allows SXR to pick a mahjong tile for him.  All mahjong players should know.  They do not simply allow anyone to pick a mahjong tile for them.

Ep 6:  I especially like this ep.  Because that is when CFT is "reborned again".  His acting here is  "spot-on".  After SXR's performance, CFT wanders around with the snow poetically drifting down on him - in the throes of love and wonder, as if a "blind-fold" has suddenly been removed from over his eyes

The next day he sits and mope silently, still unable to get over it. Not caring if his wife is observing his behavior-transformation. Then he flops onto a sofa, clutches a pillow and raves over his best friend's talent and his own awakening

I can't help thinking that all these admirations and his discovery of Peking Opera, is just a gigantic metaphor for this whole bag of "ambiguous BL emotions".

BTW, most of the casts use their own voices. No dubbing.  Except for Charmaine Sheh - because she is from Hong Kong.

Hi Galea, Welcome back!  :wub:

Thanks so much for explaining this, my perception of their relationship was just going on the emotions I felt when I was watching them interact, but it's lovely to know that there are actually some significant meanings behind their interactions. 

@hush puppy can you explain why "pick a mahjong tile" is significant? I'm not Chinese so I'm not familiar with that meaning?

EP18- Cao Guixen went to saved CFT, I know his intention is to have CFT to support him. At this point, I am still unsure if he is the good or bad guy??? That part of CFT with the Bandit General Woman was funny ^^.

I just love the friendships in this drama, SXR have so many friends and people who support and love him^^. From Mr. Du writer man to Mr. Shaved head^^. His troupe all respect and cares for him too. I can't imagined having that many people concern over me and huddle so close by, I will feel suffocated lol. So we see, SXR have a godfather he met in Nanjing to support him, other than CFT. I noticed that CFT seems a little jealous when he heard that----lol. It was funny when SXR disguised himself at the train station, CFT didn't even recognized him lol. 

I watched a bit of BTS and Charmaine Sheh looks great for her age!! We don't really see Mrs. Cheng's figured behind the dress----But she has a nice body!!!! BTS, it seems they all got along-----The sets and costumes look so beautiful and well-done. 

Again, I feel a sense of happiness and sadness when listening to the main ost----Sounds so captivating, it makes one recalled of  memories of a long time ago. It captivated me over and over again^^!!!

Question: Now, the war is going on---But it hasn't made its way to Peking/Beijing?  

Winter Begonia

5e7d46dca31012820662f635.jpeg

The cast of Winter Begoniaincludes Yin Zheng (left and center) as a Peking Opera master and Charmaine Sheh as a tycoon's wife.[Photo provided to China Daily]

Some interesting information about Huang Xiao Ming's role

Huang has impressed audiences over more than two decades with the diversity of roles he has played, including emperor, swordsman and English teacher.

But it is the 43-year-old's first time to play an enthusiast of Peking Opera.

Huang, who is self-isolating in a hotel in Chengdu, Sichuan province, since his new TV series' shooting was suspended due to the COVID-19 outbreak, tells China Daily that Peking Opera's charm drew him to the role.

"Although Peking Opera is one of China's most representative traditional arts, it has a relatively small fan base. I hope the drama will promote the art form among a wider viewership and attract attention from more young people," says Huang.

Huang recalls one of his greatest challenges throughout shooting was to follow a tough diet as his character is described as a slim Shanghai gentleman.

"I felt a little 'tortured' when watching the crew eat since I could only have a few vegetables," he says.

I feel like through this drama, I learned a little bit of Chinese traditional music. The instruments that were use in here sounds so pleasant to the ears. It also makes me appreciated the arts a little more. If one dive deeper into the arts, you can see that's more than what's it shown on the surface----In a way, this is how CFT found his way back into appreciating his love for Peking Opera----after he met SRX.

EP 20---So glad I caught up Eng sub on EP 20. So, now we found out that Mr. Oldie Commander Cao is working with the Japanese. This didn't really shocked me, but now I'm afraid for the Cheng's family. You can feel the nervousness from CFT when he learned that his bro-in-law is working for the Japanese. This episode was funny to see more interactions between SXR and Mr. Du, and SXR and CFT. I like their friendship/bromance----SXR is like a little boy, with his carefree personality and love for food. He's just like a little boy that do what he loves, and live a simple life. That kind of character is lovable.

Now we're halfway------It's getting a little intense with the war approaching closer and the arrival of the Japanese. I find myself liking the opera storytelling part^^-----This drama doesn't bored me at all^^. It definitely deserved some awards for the actors/productions.

Hi rosierosie,  This thread would be so quiet without you.:(

On 4/3/2020 at 8:36 AM, rosierosie said:

@hush puppy can you explain why (1) "pick a mahjong tile" is significant? I'm not Chinese so I'm not familiar with that meaning?

EP18- (2) Cao Guixen went to saved CFT, I know his intention is to have CFT to support him. At this point, I am still unsure if he is the good or bad guy??? That part of CFT with the Bandit General Woman was funny ^^.

I just love the friendships in this drama, SXR have so many friends and people who support and love him^^. From Mr. Du writer man to Mr. Shaved head^^. His troupe all respect and cares for him too. I can't imagined having that many people concern over me and huddle so close by, I will feel suffocated lol. (3) So we see, SXR have a godfather he met in Nanjing to support him, other than CFT. I noticed that CFT seems a little jealous when he heard that----lol. It was funny when SXR disguised himself at the train station, CFT didn't even recognized him lol. 

I watched a bit of BTS and Charmaine Sheh looks great for her age!! We don't really see Mrs. Cheng's figured behind the dress----But she has a nice body!!!! BTS, it seems they all got along-----The sets and costumes look so beautiful and well-done. 

Again, I feel a sense of happiness and sadness when listening to the main ost----Sounds so captivating, it makes one recalled of  memories of a long time ago. It captivated me over and over again^^!!!

Question: Now, the war is going on---But it hasn't made its way to Peking/Beijing?  

(1) When people play to win, be it in sports or in a competition like olympics for example, there will always be certain "rituals" or "superstitions" they like to adhere to. Not that these will guarantee them a "Win".  But more for "peace of mind" I think.  Mahjong players do not simply allow anyone to pick their tiles - except for those they have strong affections for.  CFT only allows his beloved youngest sister to do that so far.  And now he allow SXR to do it.

(2) Cao Guixen: I find him untrustworthy and dangerous.

(3) Yes. CFT is clearly jealous that SXR has got for himself a "godfather":wacko:.  Especially when SXR did not realise that CFT has already solved his problems with the Cao's

You are real fast!  Only days ago you said you were at ep 2.  But now you are already up to the latest.  But I believe the angst are coming soon: the Japanese invasion, the conflicts within family members, the sacrifices to be made, the betrayals.   CFT's beloved youngest sister will cause him real trouble soon.  She is too pampered, sheltered and idealistic.  They should knock some sense into her. Maybe tell her some of the truths before it is too late.

@hush puppy I'm glad you're here to shared your thoughts, and answer my questions^^. It's so quiet here :(, hope you won't abandoned me^^ lol. Yeah, with quarantine and my interest in the drama have made me well-invested in this drama^^. Now, I wish I can wait until all episodes are out so I can binged watch it. Ohh no trouble-maker sister!

I'm looking forward to the angst, but I hope the angst won't be too heartbreaking.

Ep 21- So funny and cute when they went to Mr. Yuan's banquet, and CFT give the pork meat to SXR^^!! Love they added a new boy to Shiyuan's Theater, SXR has a good heart.

In EP 21 and 22, CFT looks extra handsome^^!!!! His smile is contagious, I have never seen a ML smiles so much^^!!! 

Xiao Zhouzi is saved!!! 

All the actors in here are so good and good looking too!

11 hours ago, crackaddict said:

I am on the edge of my seat awaiting the fate of Xiao Zhouzi!

Crackaddict, where have you been?  This thread needs you.  So far it is as though, it is just rosierosie and myself:sweatingbullets:

I watched until ep 24 today.  It's quite confusing. I'm not sure if Xiao Zhouzi died or fainted.  Looks like he died<_<.  His previous master came to forcefully claim him back, because his contract is still with him. SXR offered to buy him over - pay 10 times what he wanted. But the weirdo refused. Frustrated Xiao Zhouzi banged his head against the wall.

10 hours ago, rosierosie said:

Ep 21- So funny and cute when they went to Mr. Yuan's banquet, and CFT give the pork meat to SXR^^!! Love they added a new boy to Shiyuan's Theater, SXR has a good heart.

In EP 21 and 22, CFT looks extra handsome^^!!!! His smile is contagious, I have never seen a ML smiles so much^^!!! 

Xiao Zhouzi is saved!!! 

All the actors in here are so good and good looking too!

Dear rosierosie. Got to agree with you. Huang Xiao Ming has been great here. It just shows that he is a good actor - provided he gets the right script and director.  BTW where did you watch this drama?  To have such up-to-date English translations?  I watch from a China's website.  So no English translations.  But when the English translations are available on Iqiyi, I'll watch again:P

Yes. With this Covid-19 thing, everyone is on "Lock-Down". Just eat, sleep & watch dramas:w00t:

Hi, Where is everybody today?  I just finished watching ep 26 - it is a great ep. First half is so hilarious.  SXR got drunk and mistaken CFT for the man who married his beloved "Xi Jie" Jiang Meng Ping - the woman he trusted so much.  So he kept bashing up CFT.  Made me lol:lol:. Yes it was made so funny

Second half is a bit sad.  I won't say more, lest it spoil all your fun. 

But the last bit was good news again. 

- First. Yes Xiao Zhou Zi returned to SXR.  SXR asked his Godfather to help and he did.  

- Second.  CFT's "piao ke", god-brother who married Jiang Meng Ping warned CFT that SXR has totally transferred his absolute trust and affections to CFT.  SXR is no longer entralled with Jiang Meng Ping.  He said after he married Meng Ping, he thought SXR can no longer trust anybody again.  But he can and it is CFT i.e SXR now sees CFT not as an outsider, but a Family Member:w00t:

Archived