[Drama 2019] Beautiful World 아름다운 세상

larus

Ok

So the show is done, all the loose ends got tied up pretty neatly.

Da Hee's case remains the only thing that stood out badly.

First, it doesn't make sense for Oh Jin Pyo's character to do something like that. He's all about staying out of unnecessary trouble, and if he really were such a person, then he would have committed other such vile acts before.

But the locker of evidence only had this one thing which showed him to be a sexual predator.

All his other acts of villainity were related to the school, which is basically all he cares about.

I think the writers just wanted to show how parents deal with the possibility that their child might be a rapist, and it was very beautifully portrayed. But

I feel that it would have made a lot more sense, if the other three involved in the bullying had somehow scared Da Hee(not actually assaulted her) for making fissures in the friendship between Joon Seok and Seon Ho.

They just wanted to finish it up quickly and neatly, by making Oh Jin Pyo out to be the evil incarnate.

I'm not saying that he isn't evil, because yes he is(he murdered a living, breathing person). But he's also someone who makes completely business oriented decisions. It doesn't make sense for him to forget all that upon seeing Da Hee.

Another thing I didn't like was how Eun Joo gets off scot free. Joon Seok was a kid, he made a mistake. But Eun Joo,...she made an informed, calculated decision in not calling for an ambulance, and instead staging the scene to make it appear like a suicide. She is directly responsible for Seon Ho staying in a coma. It's a drama, so he woke up. But in reality, it is very likely that he would have stayed in the coma forever. She might live in guilt for the rest of her life, and lost all her former standing in society. But she doesn't really get punished, nor does she actually repent. 

Aside from all that, and being the eternal romantic that I am, I have a feeling that if these characters were real, then there is a very strong possibility for Joon Seok and Soo Ha to end up together, (after they've adults). He needs a no nonsense person like Soo Ha. (I loved the way she'd kneed him) If this were a story, that is.

And I think that would be lovely and complicated.:)

Anyone up for writing a fanfic?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sanju98 said:

I'm not saying that he isn't evil, because yes he is(he murdered a living, breathing person). But he's also someone who makes completely business oriented decisions. It doesn't make sense for him to forget all that upon seeing Da Hee.

Another thing I didn't like was how Eun Joo gets off scot free. Joon Seok was a kid, he made a mistake. But Eun Joo,...she made an informed, calculated decision in not calling for an ambulance, and instead staging the scene to make it appear like a suicide. She is directly responsible for Seon Ho staying in a coma. It's a drama, so he woke up. But in reality, it is very likely that he would have stayed in the coma forever. She might live in guilt for the rest of her life, and lost all her former standing in society. But she doesn't really get punished, nor does she actually repent. 

I didn't think OJP would have done that to DH too. But given that he was drunk as shown in this episode, anything is possible, even murder. 

As for EJ, I agree that I wished to see a clearer consequences for her to bear. But I guess she established herself with the police that she did it out of impulse, so I wouldn't say that what she did was based on informed and calculated decision. As for repenting, I see that she's been eaten by guilt throughout the time and she has also made a point to apologize to In Ha by kneeling down. And most importanly for me, she genuinely felt relieved and happy that SH regained consciousness. 

“Beautiful World” Finale Achieves Its Highest Ratings Yet

by E. Cha
b737d343c4a949f89ad11bffe9e2ed05.jpeg?s=

JTBC’s “Beautiful World” has ended with a bang!

The suspenseful and emotional drama aired its final episode on May 25, and according to Nielsen Korea, it managed to break its own personal viewership record. The finale of “Beautiful World” scored an average viewership rating of 5.8 percent nationwide and 7.1 percent in the Seoul metropolitan area, marking the drama’s highest ratings yet.

Over the course of its run, “Beautiful World” continued to draw more and more viewers as it tackled the difficult subject of school violence in a way that was both intriguing and moving. The drama also kept viewers on the edge of their seats with nonstop plot twists and turns, making it hard to predict where the story was heading next.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1327399wpp/beautiful-world-finale-achieves-its-highest-ratings-yet

A Beautiful World: Episode 14

by lovepark

beautifulworld14-00399.jpg

Our heroes put the pieces of the puzzle together and get closer to the truth concerning their son’s accident. As they uncover more secrets, their opponents work harder to conceal them, and it becomes a game of perseverance. Though the tragic event may have brought despair to one family, the aftermath may have ruined more lives than one.

EPISODE 14 RECAP: Law of the Circle

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/05/a-beautiful-world-episode-14/

I agree with everyone about how this show wraps up nicely. It is after all a warm and fuzzy show, focusing on forgiveness and redemption instead of cold blooded revenge.

My MVP of the show are the guys: PHS-PMJ, OMS-OJP and ???-OJS. I thought their performances were really top notch. Honourable mentions are the girls ???-PSH and ???-HDH. The moms would have been ok too if it weren't for their annoying waterpipes.

I'm satisfied that there is something behind DH's response to the whole situation. While sexual assault is not something one should wish for anyone, at least she wasn't some entitled brat who lied about things due to a rejection. I liked the scene at the police station when JS talked back to OJP when he IRONICALLY tells JS to tell the truth. What DH told JS definitely broke the boy. First, the realisation that his father is an evil rapist. Second, is probably the most painful of all as whatever concern OJP was showing was not actually because he cares for his son, but because OJP is more interested in protecting himself, by making use of his own son! I've always watched Oh Man Seok in good, positive characters so I never thought he can play a disgusting character so well.

Yea, EJ was left off the hook which is so unfair but I suppose she's all JS has now.

As much as I love the peace between SH-JS at the end, I really, really wished that SH would apologise to JS too, since he accused him of assaulting DH. Even though the misunderstanding was not SH's fault, even if JS was cruel to begin with, I wish that SH would apologise too. I mean, as much as MJ-IN is portrayed as the best/ perfect parents, we see them apologising quite a lot especially to youngsters on behalf of idiotic adults, so I wished that SH would take responsibility of his action too. But the show wanted a perfect golden boy...

Anyhow, one of the things I loved about this show is how whenever there is a positive/ hopeful turnaround of events, they started playing the title track "Over the Moon" which is such a lovely song. I'm so gonna miss that.

5 hours ago, Sanju98 said:

Da Hee's case remains the only thing that stood out badly.

First, it doesn't make sense for Oh Jin Pyo's character to do something like that. He's all about staying out of unnecessary trouble, and if he really were such a person, then he would have committed other such vile acts before.

But the locker of evidence only had this one thing which showed him to be a sexual predator.

All his other acts of villainity were related to the school, which is basically all he cares about.

I think the writers just wanted to show how parents deal with the possibility that their child might be a rapist, and it was very beautifully portrayed. But

I feel that it would have made a lot more sense, if the other three involved in the bullying had somehow scared Da Hee(not actually assaulted her) for making fissures in the friendship between Joon Seok and Seon Ho.

They just wanted to finish it up quickly and neatly, by making Oh Jin Pyo out to be the evil incarnate.

Illuminating post and I agree. JPY is evil but like you said he is completlely business oriented and he is someone who is shown to continue on with business at home and dictates his wife and son's life accordingly as he think an owner of Seja Foundation should act. First of all why is DH waiting for JS at his home and not at the scene of the date unless JS asked to go to his home and he was not there? I would think that if he already knew that he was going to ditch DH, that he would not tell her to meet him at his house because he would not want his parents to get involved. This was between him and SH as he sees it.  Also the drama make sexual assault victims as liers which is tragic because victims may not say anything about who assaulted them because of fear, shame, guilt and range psychological barriers including the investigative process that make it difficult for them to disclose the incident however they know exactly the identity of the person who did the assault and would not lie about that. They may be afraid to say whom for many reasons but never blame another person because it does not serve any purpose. It just makes it harder for them to be believed especially when SH and JS were proven to be innocent of what was being charged them. I feel the drama did a great disservice to victims of sexual assault by making DH a liar about who the offender was. Her  lies snowballed to an avalanche rolling on the lives of many people. By making DH a lying victim of sexaul assault I feel that the drama has encouraged the mythical imputation of sexual assault victims as liars and not believable and that is one of the reasons that victims have a hard time disclosing the offense because they have to prove themselves to be truthful. Determining whether rapes are ‘real’ is intensely entangled in rape myths that blame victims, excuse rapists, and erroneously support that false rape claims are a common problem and the drama has just made the myth "real". Not nice, not nice at all. I really hoped that the drama would not have gone that route.

I like your alternative scene "it would have made a lot more sense, if the other three involved in the bullying had somehow scared Da Hee(not actually assaulted her) for making fissures in the friendship between Joon Seok and Seon Ho"

I also feel that EJ was given a pass too. She did apologize to IH but she never admitted her fault to her son and until the end she never apologized to JS for not believing in him. Her excuse "because I am a mother" so did what she did. She was fined. She never realized that what she did was not for her son but for herself and made her son the excuse of her lies, transferring her offense to her poor son. 

I was hoping more of a Laputa reconciliation scene between the JS and SH a longer conversation between the two, that they apologize to each other. 

Overall the drama was excellent depiction regarding school violence and the self preservation response of adults excusing the violence of their children. 

The other drama about school violence that I thought was excellent from the start to finish is "Solomon's Prejudice". 

It is wrong but it is not a criminal act. She was not only assaulted but threatened not to say a word about it or she'll die. It's understandable that she got depressed and don't know what to do. When you've gone through something so traumatizing, it is difficult to think clear, even for mature adults, much less a young teenager. 

@ktcjdrama oh yes, for intentional false accusations "criminal statute that makes it a misdemeanor to knowingly provide a false report to law enforcement. In addition to the misdemeanor, which could land a person in jail for up to one year, intentionally making false accusations to the police results in potential civil liability." And in this drama the accuser never went to the police because of circumstances the drama provided. In real life, she would have been made a mincemeat by a lawyer if she got sued and her sexual assault case not believable. That is why I feel the drama failed to represent realistically the case of DH. 

1 hour ago, zenya22 said:

Also the drama make sexual assault victims as liars which is tragic because victims may not say anything about who assaulted them because of fear, shame, guilt and range psychological barriers including the investigative process that make it difficult for them to disclose the incident however they know exactly the identity of the person who did the assault and would not lie about that. They may be afraid to say whom for many reasons but never blame another person because it does not serve any purpose. It just makes it harder for them to be believed especially when SH and JS were proven to be innocent of what was being charged them. I feel the drama did a great disservice to victims of sexual assault by making DH a liar about who the offender was. Her  lies snowballed to an avalanche rolling on the lives of many people. By making DH a lying victim of sexaul assault I feel that the drama has encouraged the mythical imputation of sexual assault victims as liars and not believable and that is one of the reasons that victims have a hard time disclosing the offense because they have to prove themselves to be truthful. Determining whether rapes are ‘real’ is intensely entangled in rape myths that blame victims, excuse rapists, and erroneously support that false rape claims are a common problem and the drama has just made the myth "real". Not nice, not nice at all. I really hoped that the drama would not have gone that route.

I agree with you with this. And sad true is that this happens too often in real life. So in the way I really liked it that they made it this way even though this is really horrifying. I  was really glad that in the end Dahee wasn't lying about the assault. I mean what happened to her should never happen to anyone but Lying about something like that would be even worst. 

About OJP being to one who assaulted her. I didn't find it out of character. I mean yeah he was business oriented and his image was his everything. But most off people you only thing about their image or their business/making money has really awful secret. And then there was the reporter who was accused off sexual assault bc he was trying dig in the OJP business. 

Still unable to let go, so visiting scenes from the BTSes, only to find myself tearing up just the same.

Likewise, was just fine, when "Over the Moon" starts playing on my playlist, and my heart is a shattered mess once more as I relive the heartbreaking journey that we have taken with Seon Ho and his family, despite knowing that the dark clouds have passed.

Miss them already.

2 minutes ago, joccu said:

I agree with you with this. And sad true is that this happens too often in real life. So in the way I really liked it that they made it this way even though this is really horrifying. I  was really glad that in the end Dahee wasn't lying about the assault. I mean what happened to her should never happen to anyone but Lying about something like that would be even worst. 

About OJP being to one who assaulted her. I didn't find it out of character. I mean yeah he was business oriented and his image was his everything. But most off people you only thing about their image or their business/making money has really awful secret. And then there was the reporter who was accused off sexual assault bc he was trying dig in the OJP business. 

But it is sad that they made the victim a liar. In real life, because of that the lawyer would have made a mincemeat out of her case expecially when it is proven that she lied. And it is also a myth that sexual assault victims are liars. It is actually very rare that victims lie, they are always proven to be true. So for me, I find that making the victim a liar has done a great disservice to victims of sexual assault victims. 

3 hours ago, zenya22 said:

First of all why is DH waiting for JS at his home and not at the scene of the date unless JS asked to go to his home and he was not there? I would think that if he already knew that he was going to ditch DH, that he would not tell her to meet him at his house because he would not want his parents to get involved.

She went to his house on her own initiative because she was worried he is sick since he hasn't been replying to her messages.

3 hours ago, zenya22 said:

oh yes, for intentional false accusations "criminal statute that makes it a misdemeanor to knowingly provide a false report to law enforcement. In addition to the misdemeanor, which could land a person in jail for up to one year, intentionally making false accusations to the police results in potential civil liability."

I agree it can be criminal when made a report to the police. But in Da Hee's case, she didn't make the accusation to the police, how can she be charged with false accusation then? I haven't watched with subs, but it seems that SH was led to believe JS did it to her, while she was just crying and never out-rightly said JS assaulted her. SH made that assumption. I'm not sure about how her parents came to assumption that SH was the one who did it. Don't think it was ever mentioned.

I am not saying what DH did was justified but given the circumstances, her fear and being threatened, I can understand why she just let the lie be, and not bother to correct it, because I guess then she would have to come up with another name.

Also agreeing that her lying can be used by the lawyers to weaken her lawsuit, just like the defense by OJP to Detective, that she's just lying. But since that was not the focus of the drama, we were spared of the legal processing.

i skipped most of the epi in the middle and just came back again to watch the last 2 epi.. i must admit Suh Dong Hyun acting is really impressive! :grin: he is able to grasp so many emotions thrown right into this Joon Seok character! what Da Hee confessed to him really sent him hell down to reality.. Nam Da Reum on the other hand, has Seon Ho in a more soft and subtle character.. its like, boys in their puberty age where some are going rebellious (Joon Seok) while some remain nice and sensible (Seon Ho)

the ending where it was revealed the book is not a diary but a collection of poems.. i was really touched at that.. (i need a son like this!)

31 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I agree it can be criminal when made a report to the police. But in Da Hee's case, she didn't make the accusation to the police, how can she be charged with false accusation then? I haven't watched with subs, but it seems that SH was led to believe JS did it to her, while she was just crying and never out-rightly said JS assaulted her. SH made that assumption. I'm not sure about how her parents came to assumption that SH was the one who did it. Don't think it was ever mentioned.

I am not saying what DH did was justified but given the circumstances, her fear and being threatened, I can understand why she just let the lie be, and not bother to correct it, because I guess then she would have to come up with another name.

Also agreeing that her lying can be used by the lawyers to weaken her lawsuit, just like the defense by OJP to Detective, that she's just lying. But since that was not the focus of the drama, we were spared of the legal processing.

I agree, however the drama could have handled this in a manner where there is no lying about whom did it. Yes, she is afraid as she was threatened but lying about who did it made a victim of others. The focus of the drama was not the legal proceedings, i agree and the lie is used used as a convenient tool to get the drama rolling but again this is just my feeling and others may not agree with it,  that it was a disservice to the real victims of sexual assault because it magnifies the mythical belief that sexual assault victims lie for many reasons. I get it that she was young and afraid but lying about whom did it when she knows that it could be proven she is lying? OJP is the culprit and so he is but that is not the problem. It is the lie. 

2 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

I get it that she was young and afraid but lying about whom did it when she knows that it could be proven she is lying?

I have to watch with subs first before responding on this. Because from what I caught (without subs) she never did say precisely that JS did it to her. It is assumed by SH. But again, let me watch with subs first and share my thoughts later.

DH is a child.  She was manipulated and assaulted by an adult. Her world is not about whether these lies perpetrated the event BUT that a man in the community with stature believed he was above justice and nothing, no one could penetrate him. Kang In-Ha was right, none of this was DH's fault.  The adults failed her and Jin-Pyo's influence would have continued had this event from the two boys never happened.  

As for the Jin-Pyo's story and it coming as a shock. Some people saw the clues from previous episodes that Pyo was DH's perpetrator.  This is how a subtle, well-written drama is simply executed and so I have no complaints about the ending and how forgiveness, hope lead the final ending and our beautiful characters. 

Will someone please post the poem and the author, at the end?!!

1 hour ago, petalsoft said:

Will someone please post the poem and the author, at the end?!!

Welcome to the thread and to soompi!!

The poet's name is Jeong Ho-seung. But I can't find the exact poem translated in English.

12 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Welcome to the thread and to soompi!!

The poet's name is Jeong Ho-seung. But I can't find the exact poem translated in English.

Thank you so much for the welcome and information. I hope someone is able to translate the actual poem. I would love to forward it to my mom to read to her students. 

Become a Person Who Produces Hope

Translated by Brother Anthony and Susan Hwang

At times when everyone in the world is asleep,

when even dreams are asleep, confined in darkness,
become a person who walks regarding the stars,
not afraid of the dawn that has risen alone;
become a person who produces hope.

Tonight, too, with snow falling, no way of return
as winter's night grows ever darker, 
in a dark room with a guttering candle
near a workplace where the day's work is done,
become a person loving sorrow;
become a person who produces hope.

If you live life loving this world of despair, that lacks even despair,
this world of sorrow, that lacks even sorrow, then spring snow falls.
Out in the snow, on encountering long-expected expectancy,
out in the snow, on encountering long-yearned-for yearning,
exclaim aloud, embrace and laugh;
exclaim aloud, rub cheeks and weep.

On becoming a person who walks regarding the stars,
on becoming a person who produces hope,
you who walk along paths across barley fields where spring snow falls,
everyone, come running, whole-heartedly
welcome dreams.
Welcome dreams.

The paradox in this poem is the way it combines sorrow with hope. The life we should be living is not one devoid of pain and problems, instead, the poem says, it is in the midst of sorrow and even despair that joy come, the ability to truly unite with others in the same difficulty and who refuse to give up, instead gazing up at the stars and dreaming.

22 hours ago, liddi said:

The Park family is one that is held up as an ideal, a family that holds fast together in the face of adversity, never giving up hope - on each other or igood itself. And among them, more than anyone else

It is always enjoyable to watch a show which end in many positive notes. But to me this drama started on the premise of bullying in school that almost caused the death of a boy. It initially showed the mix of complex relationships of juveniles growing up, parental expectations and school politics which all kept me holding my breath. Then it turned into the usual feel good, unreal nurturing  almost noble family versus the cold rich family with a manipulative father and pill popping mother. It stopped being a complex show that deals with a grave issue to just another detective like show. Again I did enjoy it and my fault for forgetting it is a drama. 

Ahh, I finally got the chance to finish this drama :) Thanks everyone, love reading all your thoughts.

Everyone makes mistakes, it's how we recover from the missteps that gives hope for this world, for our future.  I really like how many dark night scenes, where things and events were confusing and uncertain, often visually framed with a full clear lit moon.  In fact, there seems to be repeated shots of sunlight (which often illuminates the goodness that is Sun Ho) and moonlight (which highlights the troubled soul and intense emotions of Joon Seok).  The sun shows up the same way everyday, strong, courageous, dependable.. and in many ways, Sun Ho is the same, in the way he treats others around him.  He's all rays of purity and happiness. In contrast is Joon Seok who struggles to control his emotions while learning to define himself, his character and thoughts swayed  and shaped by adults around him.  That is not to say that he is innocent but his aggressive and violent nature has the capacity to change under the guidance of the right adults.  I like how the sun and moon became symbols of those two who once were best friends. As is to show they are connected not only in a good/bad way but in their respective emotion maturity.

This drama was so good at reminding us to listen and be attentive to our youths.  To help them navigate through this challenging time to learn adulthood, to live with pure heart , to treat others with kindness and hope.  I will always remember how Dong Soo paid forward Moo Jin's kindness by mentoring a lost Joon Seok.  How Dong Hee blossomed into a confident person for herself and protector of others, including Joon Seok.  How Moo Jin learned to not compensate courage with kindness.  How In Ha took to heart her husband's resolve and character to follow the laws even if it seemed unfair many times.  How Soo Ho's love for her brother fueled her strong conviction. How mistakes are important for character building - what Eun Joo should have allowed Joon Seok to experience and correct.

Was an important drama that I am glad I didn't miss.   See you in another thread.  

Archived