[Drama 2019] Beautiful World 아름다운 세상

larus

On 5/19/2019 at 11:00 PM, cinnyangel said:

Sexually assaulted doesn't equate rape, rape is only a sub-category. It's still horrible and traumatizing, so I fully understand if someone can suffer long-term for it, even without pregnancy concerns etc. 

Exactly, yet the parents still did nothing and there is still no evidence that a sexual assault occurred from what the parents are saying that SH did it, and from SH understanding that it was JS who did something to DH. The texts of JS showed him angry at DH especially when he knew that DH was manipulating them both and did not meet with her but told her to never bother him again. If she was sexually molested by someone other than the two what is her purpose for lying to SH and telling him that JS did it and then later saying that it was SH who did it especially when she knew that SH was lying unconscious in his hospital bed and thinks will be unable to speak the truth? DH never thought that SH's family and friends faith in SH innocence, will uncover the truth and the flower guy remembers SH buying flowers for a sick girl and the librarian remembered SH being in the library all day on the day he was supposed to have sexually molested her that proved he also never met with DH. If SH had not been pushed off the roof by EJ,  the truth that either boys ever met with her would have been known. It is horrible that if she was sexually molested, that she blames it on someone innocent. Her humiliation and her guilt that the lie would eventually be uncovered can also make her self traumatized. But it is also possible that she is afraid to tell the truth and afraid to say who it was. Where was she on the day she said she was molested and with whom? I hope she did not get molested, that is horrible and then blame it on someone innocent more horrible. Anyway, the mother of DH is now doing her own investigation to know the truth about what her daughter is accusing the 2 boys of. 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@liddi, wonderful post up there. You nailed it with the 4 themes. I would like to add Love as one of them as well. I don't know how to put it eloquently, but you can see how the Park family has an abundance of love - how they took in DH and her brother, their treatment of the mom of one of the kids who initially tried to protect her own son too, how they repeatedly stressed that it is the adults fault that screw things up (or something to that effect). Yet the love in the Oh family is very selfish. They don't mind hurting others by staging the suicide as long as they can protect their own.

@dzareth Thank you for your kind words. You're right. The Parks are gracious and giving with their love, care and warmth, within their own family and outflowing to others, because they bask in the surety of the love that is so much a part of their lives. With such role models, it is no wonder Seon Ho takes after them, and becomes a protector in his own right, defending, protecting and saving Dong Hee in her hour of need; fighting JS for Da Hee after her shock revelation.

On the other hand, any love the Ohs have is always conditional and twisted into either a form of control or clinging dependency, smothering the possibility of any true affection and confidence that comes from knowing one loves and is loved for oneself.

Love the post, @liddi

I also like how most characters aren't perfect even in Seon Ho's family. I know people don't like to see crying and yelling characters, but really they're just trying to depict a range of emotions and personalities. I personally don't love the actress' voice but that's superficial. I think I can still real life people being like her and while I may be different from her I'm also different from Moo Jin, so I can't judge them. In fact I feel that maybe In Ha isn't very tactful, but that's a much lesser "offense" because her intentions are good. I feel sorry for people who get disliked in real life simply because of not being tactful. Contrast that to primp and proper Eun Joo who lies through her teeth with her outward pleasantness, I'd take an In Ha anyday as my friend, someone I don't have to try to gauge and measure and who is what she shows me. 

As for Seon Ho not confiding in his family, he tried to approach Moo Jin a few times but Moo Jin didn't pick up on it. That was before the Da Hee situation, just the bullying because of protecting Dong Hee. On the day he heard Da Hee's accusation which led to the rooftop confrontation, he called Moo Jin but Moo Jin never called back. And I suppose it's hard to share such a thing about someone else (sexual assault) so he went to confront Joon Seok to find out. 

As for why Seon Ho didn't trust Joon Seok, you can call that his imperfection in some way especially if he was actually wrong (though it's hard not to believe the victim). But mainly Joon Seok has been mean spirited against Dong Hee and manipulated others to bully Seon Ho for it, so it was that much harder for him to put some trust in Joon Seok in that moment. His parents not trusting him though is another ordeal entirely. 

@cinnyangel Thank you for your kind words. I don't think Seon Ho's family is perfect - like everyone else, they each have their own faults. However, as a family unit, they are exemplary, and individually, their generosity of spirit is beautiful to see. I have nothing against KIH yelling or crying, and I can definitely empathise with her frustration and sorrow. My only issue is when the same yelling and crying is seen across 14 episodes, which really wears me down. And yes, definitely an IH is better than an EJ any day.

I don't doubt Seon Ho was perhaps hoping to open up to his family. Nonetheless, the fact remains that he did not say anything except try to find excuses not to go to school on that fateful day, and tiptoeing around it. Why not just come right out and tell them he has an issue and needed to talk? That really frustrates me because it is exactly what I fear my own children will do - refuse to confide until it is too late. 

Actually, I find Seon Ho's unwillingness to believe JS to be a highly justified reaction given JS' behaviour up to that moment in terms of how he views and treats others. JS' dismay due to Seon Ho's belief that he would do something so terrible, is merely another nail in the coffin that pushes him to the edge as it drives the belief that in the eyes of others, he is capable of such evil. Rather when I spoke of Seon Ho as being portrayed as overly ideal, it has to do with the fact that he does not appear to have any fault to begin with - sweet, kind, generous, courageous, self-sacrificing, gracious. Perhaps the last two episodes will finally give us some minor kink in his shiny armour :sweatingbullets:

@liddi love your posts. Thanks for sharing your insights. :) 

I agree about the "perfect" SH, and I guess him not sharing with his parents about what he was going through could count as his flaw. 

Can't wait for our finale episodes!!

I have thinking about Dahee and were is was in the day/evening when sh was suppossedly sexually assaulted.  One scene got me really baffled, Dahee was in the playground and sitting on the swing and some older man watch watching her. Who was he and why was he watching her.? Could he be the one who assaulted DH or really was everything just big lie. 

3 hours ago, cinnyangel said:

As for why Seon Ho didn't trust Joon Seok, you can call that his imperfection in some way especially if he was actually wrong (though it's hard not to believe the victim). But mainly Joon Seok has been mean spirited against Dong Hee and manipulated others to bully Seon Ho for it, so it was that much harder for him to put some trust in Joon Seok in that moment. His parents not trusting him though is another ordeal entirely. 

Your right about that its hard not believe the victim. Because who would really lie about something that awful. I mean it is really hard to even admit to someone or even to yourself that you are sexually assaulted or even worse raped.  BUt the truth is that it actually happens more often than you could believe and problem with that is that once you have accused of something that awful and your innocent, your image and the worst case your life could be ruined.  And the other thing is that other are afraid to report the crime bc their are afraid that no one is going to believe. 

I can somehow understand that SH didn't trust JS but there is difference in bullying someone than doing something so awful to a girl JS didn't even like.  JS is this insecure boy who lost his true only friend and I think he was jealous that SH could be friends with someone else that he got mad/angry and lashed out. 

I hope that when this drama end there is little hope for JS. I totally hated him in the begin of this drama but now I feel sorry for him and hope he finds some peace.

In episode 14 I find the questioning of the police of Young Chul the kid with the single mother interesting and the scene following the questioning.

Detective Park to YC: is it true that you heard JS say he was going to meet SH at the rooftop

YC: he did not say the rooftop but I heard they were going to meet at Laputa

Det P: Laputa? is that what you guys call the rooftop?

YC: No. I asked JS about it later, but he only said they did not meet and did not tell me where Laputa is

Next scene we see JS alone in the classroom staring at where SH used to sit. Then he gets a flashback of SH and himself at the rooftop where SH was lying on the floor and looking up the sky. He tells JS sitted on a chair about Laputa where the princess was battling an evil one to save Laputa. JS asked what happens next and SH tells him that the princess won and went back to her land and the protagonist also won so there is a happy ending. Then invites JS to lie down on the floor and they both look up at the sky smiling. Next scene shows JS is back to the present in the classroom looking at SH desk crying and sobbing. So I am wondering if when JS said he was going to meet SH at Laputa that he was going to tell SH about DH. That he JS (protagonist) rejected DH (the princess) because he knew SH wanted to date her or JS is the prince and SH is Laputa the land and DH is the protagonist etc. The story alludes to a possibility of reconciliation and he told YC that he was meeting SH at Laputa, a happy place where only he and SH know about. However, DH had already told SH that she got assaulted by JS and SH at that point can't believe JS denial of the assault. It is so tragic. I think the Laputa story also shows the idealistic mindset of SH which he gets from his father. MJ always says that they should be understanding and not be angry even when people are rude, and try to put their feet in the other person's shoes. When SH wanted to enroll in martial arts, MJ said that it is better for them to go running together. It is so sad that when the Laputa story was needed for both friends to talk about, trust between them have already been broken. 

@joccu I think the guy watching Da Hee at the playground is under OJP's employ to keep tabs on Da Hee and her family after OJP heard the recording about the assault that JS supposedly committed.This is to ensure that he is in the know any moment Da Hee or her family decides to press charges or reveal the incident to a 3rd party. My 2 cents.

And no... while appalled and alternating between fear of and for JS, I don't hate him either but really hope that he and those involved, directly or otherwise, will find redemption within themselves while not escaping the repercussions of the law.

So I've binged watched up till episode 11 and my heart ache for poor SH.

Bystanders words are usually the worst when they know nothing and they judge everything.

I'm not sure if I get the timeline of bullying  or the fallout between JS and SH correct.

Did JS start attacking SH before or after Da Hee's birthday (September 19)?

SH started to reach out to Dong Hee way before hence the fallout of SH and JS?

Or after he knew what happened to Da Hee,  he started to "see" the real JS and he reach out to Dong Hee.

18 hours ago, cinnyangel said:

Sexually assaulted doesn't equate rape, rape is only a sub-category. It's still horrible and traumatizing, so I fully understand if someone can suffer long-term for it, even without pregnancy concerns etc. 

Definition from the Justice Department:

Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape.

I don't know Korean to understand the  nuances of the word used in Korea. But if it is grabbing or touching of body parts , the shame and revulsion  that DH's parents showed seemed much more. They could barely say the word. Likewise SH's parents looked equally shocked.

22 minutes ago, maribella said:

I don't know Korean to understand the  nuances of the word used in Korea. But if it is grabbing or touching of body parts , the shame and revulsion  that DH's parents showed seemed much more. They could barely say the word. Likewise SH's parents looked equally shocked.

Good point! I think you're right actually. Though but I remember the timeline and everything could still make sense. Da Hee's birthday happened a while back and she didn't go to school. But she only told her parents pointing fingers to Soon Ho the day of Soon Ho's accident, this was in the first conversation between her parents and Soon Ho's parents. They didn't know what was so wrong until then they said. If enough time had passed then there's nothing to go check and there are discreet ways to check pregnancy concerns. 

@mrsj3n I may be wrong but I believe it started off with JS' bullying of Dong Hee. When Seon Ho started defending her instead of supporting his actions, JS turned on him by making him an outcast among them, stringing Da Hee along, leading to the Avengers game (luring him in by threatening to bring Dong Hee if he did not comply, and keeping him quiet by saying Soo Ho would be next if he didn't). I am not sure if the Avengers "game" happened before or after Da Hee's birthday (when JS dumped her after she broke her movie date with Seon Ho), but my guess is it is probably after. Nonetheless, definitely it all came to a head when Seon Ho visited Da Hee with the flowers, heard from her that she was assaulted from JS, leading to the confrontation and tragic outcome at Laputa.

1 hour ago, maribella said:

The word they have been using all this while is just simply "sexual assault". So no one knows exactly the extend of the assault. We might find out soon in the next episode. 

14 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

The word they have been using all this while is just simply "sexual assault". So no one knows exactly the extend of the assault. We might find out soon in the next episode. 

Hmm... Da Hee's parents mentioned about wearing "Scarlett Letter".

So can we presume they meant the worst that had happened to Da Hee as she claimed?

I don't know but Da Hee does look guilty of blaming it on SH. It may or may not happened at all... I've not watched episode 13 and 14 yet so I may be missing some more clues. 

1 hour ago, liddi said:

@mrsj3n I may be wrong but I believe it started off with JS' bullying of Dong Hee. When Seon Ho started defending her instead of supporting his actions, JS turned on him by making him an outcast among them, stringing Da Hee along, leading to the Avengers game (luring him in by threatening to bring Dong Hee if he did not comply, and keeping him quiet by saying Soo Ho would be next if he didn't). I am not sure if the Avengers "game" happened before or after Da Hee's birthday (when JS dumped her after she broke her movie date with Seon Ho), but my guess is it is probably after. Nonetheless, definitely it all came to a head when Seon Ho visited Da Hee with the flowers, heard from her that she was assaulted from JS, leading to the confrontation and tragic outcome at Laputa.

I believe this is right.

It's been a while since Seon Ho got distant from the group because he didn't agree with how they were mean to Dong Hee. This upset Jeon Sook, causing Jeon Sook to turn against Seon Ho, and we know that there was "continuous bullying". One of his retaliating actions includes playing with Da Hee's crush to get Seon Ho's attention. He only agreed to meet Da Hee on her birthday after turning her down only after she used Seon Ho to provoke him (but in fact it was Jeon Sook who used Da Hee to provoke Seon Ho). Jeon Sook didn't end up meeting Da Hee though, it was just to spoil Seon Ho's "date" with her which he succeeded in doing as Seon Ho never met Da Hee that day. After that day, Da Hee stopped going to school because she was sick, but even her parents didn't know why she was sick. Some time later, maybe a month (?), Seon Ho came to visit his sick friend (what he told the flower shop guy) with flowers. She told him that day that Jeon Sook assaulted her, and so Seon Ho took the flowers back with him, being all upset, as we saw a flashback of him outside the flower shop. I suppose he didn't feel like it was appropriate at that time to hand her the flowers. He then went to confront Jeon Sook that evening on the rooftop. When Da Hee heard of Seon Ho's accident, she told her parents that Seon Ho assaulted her, causing her to have the panic disorder. So now here we are.

@liddi @cinnyangel thanks!

There was a scene that SH picked up a book for Dong Hee after JS dropped her book on the floor in the classroom.

Was that the trigger that caused a crack in SH and JS friendship?

Trying to piece together the timeline here.

And there's one thing I don't get it.

Da Hee only told her parents after SH's accident?

Not right after her birthday?

27 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

There was a scene that SH picked up a book for Dong Hee after JS dropped her book on the floor in the classroom.

It is a bit jumbled to me too. She was assaulted on her birthday, stopped coming to school the next day, told SH she was assaulted by JS ...when is this? I thought it was not long after her birthday. 

If SH went to the flower shop and got DH flowers on her birthday when she claimed to have been assaulted, how could the librarian say SH was in the library the whole day?

I hope the writer has a chart of the sequence or it will really ruin the drama.-_-

Edit: I thought SH bought flowers for DH on her birthday. Wrong?

7 minutes ago, maribella said:

It is a bit jumbled to me too. She was assaulted on her birthday, stopped coming to school the next day, told SH she was assaulted by JS ...when is this? I thought it was not long after her birthday. 

If SH went to the flower shop and got DH flowers on her birthday when she claimed to have been assaulted, how could the librarian say SH was in the library the whole day?

I hope the writer has a chart of the sequence or it will really ruin the drama.-_-

Edit: I thought SH bought flowers for DH on her birthday. Wrong?

No. SH got Da hee cake but because she cancelled on him, he returned the cake to his mum and went to the library.

So flowers came when?

When she stopped going to school and he tried to visit her?

Sorry if I am confusing anyone.

I'm trying to do a timeline to better understand what caused the bullying and lead to SH's accident

37 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

To your first question: yes that's what Dong Hee recalled to Seon Ho's parents. That wasn't the only thing Soon Ho did for her, as there's another flashback when he sat down to eat with her not wanting her to be left alone. 

To your second question: that's what Da Here's parents said to Seon Ho's parents. Da Here's mother might have confronted Seon Ho and his parents if not for the fact that at that time when they found out Seon Ho was already in a coma so they took it as karma and that Seon Ho had a conscience and committed suicide. 

Speaking of that, did Da Hee want her parents to think that Seon Ho committed suicide out of guilt towards her, instead of the truth that she probably knows, that Seon Ho did it to protect her against Joon Seok, because of what she accused Joon Seok of to Seon Ho?

Archived