[Drama 2019] Beautiful World 아름다운 세상

larus

2 hours ago, joccu said:

I think your right.  And the thing is that this happens even in real life. I really hate that people lie about sexual assault. I get that maybe DH was angry and wanted to punish JS for playing with her. But this is the lowest lie people can make. I actually feel sorry for JS if DH really lied. JS had one true friend SH and SH believed DH when she told. Even JS mother douted him.  JS parents really screwed their kid.

I agree, it happens in real life but not only about sexual assault but accuse others they are innocent of because of jealousy or prejudice, or take credit for something others did well for themselves. If DH lied, she can't imagine the damage she has done to both JS and SH. No one believed in JS innocence, not his friend or his parents so that his parents did defensive action to cover up an accusation that they have no proof even happened. Only the accusation of a friend on tape but then again with JP it is always about self preservation. Truth does not matter, just kill the person who is trying to tell the truth. If EJ did admit to her wrongdoing that she pushed SH due to wrong assumptions, she has damaged her relationship with her son. It will take a long time for JS to trust her again. She might have driven JS to become closer to his father, the monster. 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

Oh my heart!! :dizzy:

I'm at episode 5!!

Do I need to watch the rest or I can skip till latest episode???

:lol: Watch it slowly... It's about the character development too, so enjoy the ride...

@zenya22, i still feel DH was assaulted. Just not by JS or SH. Because what DH did is just too evil if that were true ie accuse or misled her parents to accuse SH of sexual assault. And there is the fact that she started to skip her school, being hysterical when confronted etc. I mean, how bad can she verbally be insulted to turn like that.

We also have the mystery about the lipstick that EJ found. JS claims he doesn't know where that came from and i believe him, so how did that end up in their home?

OJP reaction when hearing the recording. I don't think he is worried for JS, rather he is worried because now SH and JS learned about DH's assault, and later EJ. OJP kept blaming EJ for tempering with the crime scene to look like suicide AFTER SH's family became suspicious because his shoes were tied. I think if suspicion weren't raised, he would have happily pretend not knowing anything. But when EJ started breaking down, he had to interfere lest his own secrets were uncovered. 

The problem with JS's family is they never believe him at the times he needed that from them. If only EJ believed what happened to SH was an accident, if only she believed he didn't assault DH... 

1 hour ago, mrsj3n said:

Oh my heart!! :dizzy:

I'm at episode 5!!

Do I need to watch the rest or I can skip till latest episode???

Or you could do what I'm doing:  read the spoilers and wait until the show ends.  

I truly can't deal with heavy stress drama because I get freaked out, so no matter how much I want to watch this show I know that I have to wait to see how it plays out.  Once I know how it ends and who-dunnit, then I'll be able to watch and enjoy fully. 

I also read the final chapter of any book immediately after reading the first chapter so that I can enjoy the middle of the book in peace.  No shame in that.  Gotta be real about what you can cope with.

If you feel too stressed by a drama, the best thing to do is wait and see.  Just my thinking.  

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

:lol: Watch it slowly... It's about the character development too, so enjoy the ride...

True.  This is really not a "binge watch" show.

1 hour ago, dzareth said:

i still feel DH was assaulted. Just not by JS or SH. Because what DH did is just too evil if that were true ie accuse or misled her parents to accuse SH of sexual assault. And there is the fact that she started to skip her school, being hysterical when confronted etc. I mean, how bad can she verbally be insulted to turn like that.

It depends on how fragile the ego is. Someone with a strong ego can take insults so personally and suffer from it even for years, human beings can do more than lie and destroy themselves and others even cause wars for the sake of pride. But that was only my guess and you could be right maybe she was sexually assaulted. But why then not go to the police or have your child examined to prove assault? What if she gets pregnant or gets a disease from it? The parents can't go around accusing people of sexual assault without proof. They can get sued by the accused of perjury or telling wllfull falsehood. Da Hee's mother is now investigating on her own and going to the library to prove SH alibi or what IH told her that her son was at the library and never met with DH. It is also shown in episode 14 that JS texted DH and did not want to meet with her and to stop bothering him. That means she really never met with JS. How would JP meet with DH? 

@thistle I know.. I have been following the thread and reading and decided I should continue watching because I know my speed will not be in time for the finale. Lol

But I'm totally disgusted with the adults and I can't help but feel helplessness for SH and his parents.

And then those kids. Those lost kids who did not have a good role model to guide them.

It hurts me and anger me so much that suddenly I wish Thanos is real and he will just wipe out the evil and the bad instead. 

And the background music.

It is so haunting and it gets to me everytime it is being played.

Aargh.... 

2 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

And then those kids. Those lost kids who did not have a good role model to guide them.

It hurts me and anger me so much that suddenly I wish Thanos is real and he will just wipe out the evil and the bad instead. 

It's definitely a tempting idea. 

But.....

Spoiler

Something I've learned is that even kids who have bad role models can still live good lives.  And maybe they can live even better lives because they have had an example in front of them for what they should not become (people like their parents).  We all have choices, and even the smallest of them can move us forward to something better.

The fact is that we cannot have light without darkness and we cannot have good without evil.  In this life, our challenge is to take the best of both, to learn how to use our unfortunate experiences to teach us compassion. 

I can say that and I can believe that and I know that it is true because I was a kid who grew up with bad parents.  I wouldn't wish my experience on anyone but I have learned to be grateful for it, and I have also learned that forgiveness is more powerful than vengeance.

Some KDramas end very badly indeed (those make me angry) but I hope that this will be one that shows some light ahead.  But until I know which ending it will be, I won't watch.

6 hours ago, zenya22 said:

It depends on how fragile the ego is. Someone with a strong ego can take insults so personally and suffer from it even for years, human beings can do more than lie and destroy themselves and others even cause wars for the sake of pride. But that was only my guess and you could be right maybe she was sexually assaulted. But why then not go to the police or have your child examined to prove assault? What if she gets pregnant or gets a disease from it? The parents can't go around accusing people of sexual assault without proof. They can get sued by the accused of perjury or telling wllfull falsehood. Da Hee's mother is now investigating on her own and going to the library to prove SH alibi or what IH told her that her son was at the library and never met with DH. It is also shown in episode 14 that JS texted DH and did not want to meet with her and to stop bothering him. That means she really never met with JS. How would JP meet with DH? 

Maybe she's having panic disorders now precisely because of what she did, causing the boys to fight (maybe she could guess what happend to Seon Ho on that rooftop, the day she told him the lie about Joon Seok). Then she lied about Seon Ho to her parents so that she doesn't have to admit about her first lie. And she didn't go to school immediately after her birthday simply because she was embarrassed of the rejection. Just one lie feeds into the next... But again, things wouldn't happened this way had it not been for the adults, all in the name of their children: Eun Joo's cover-ups and attempted murders for Joon Seok, the guard's cover-up to get money to save his son, Da Hee's parents not cooperating and being nasty towards other people because of Da Hee, Jun Pyo's murder to cover... well, for himself.

7 minutes ago, cinnyangel said:

Maybe she's having panic disorders now precisely because of what she did, causing the boys to fight (maybe she could guess what happend to Seon Ho on that rooftop, the day she told him the lie about Joon Seok). Then she lied about Seon Ho to her parents so that she doesn't have to admit about her first lie. And she didn't go to school immediately after her birthday simply because she was embarrassed of the rejection. Just one lie feeds into the next... But again, things wouldn't happened this way had it not been for the adults, all in the name of their children: Eun Joo's cover-ups and attempted murders for Joon Seok, the guard's cover-up to get money to save his son, Da Hee's parents not cooperating and being nasty towards other people because of Da Hee, Jun Pyo's murder to cover... well, for himself.

exactly, her embarassment at being dissed and rejected and lie fed to another then the adults made it worse with their lies and saving face and reputation. The adults are even worse than the kids they should be ashamed of themselves. 

@thistle I agree that forgiveness is key to any relationship and to living at peace with everyone. We've also been shown a few times already how some characters in BW chose to forgive. Many characters, especially IH herself, struggled learning how to forgive. I'd say this surely is one of the themes of this drama. 

Doesn't anyone feel that JS might do some self harming?  When SH wakes up and realize that he had not believed JS , he might feel regretful. Moreover, in-spite of jealously i do think JS love HS.  

I hope there will be happy ending.  JS and SH making their friendship stronger.  

16 hours ago, joccu said:

I think your right.  And the thing is that this happens even in real life. I really hate that people lie about sexual assault. I get that maybe DH was angry and wanted to punish JS for playing with her. But this is the lowest lie people can make. I actually feel sorry for JS if DH really lied. JS had one true friend SH and SH believed DH when she told. Even JS mother douted him.  JS parents really screwed their kid. 

Say it again. Accusing rape falsely is no small crime. Innocent boys have been gaoled and their lives ruined in the old days without DNA tests. I wonder how the writer is going to deal with this. Will there be forgiving and crying all round? 

I am not too sure if I like the using of this 'lie' to begin to expose school bullying. If SH did not fall of the roof, the parents and teachers would not know about it. At the rate JS has been manipulating his classmates, the teachers would at least have some suspicion. 

16 hours ago, zenya22 said:

be absent from school but never went to the police to file a complaint against the sexual offender because if they did, proof of the assault would have to be prov

This is a scene which is a bit hard to swallow even for KD. Wouldn't the mother at least want to see physical evidence? Or she would be dishevelled? Take her to hospital to prevent pregnancy? The parents seemed to be well to do so assuming they are educated, no way will they not do anything. At the very least a mother would seek out IH and do some hair pulling. DH's reactions were most likely from a guilty conscience.  But if she were raped, by whom? Must be one of the students or to be more convoluted one of the adults. No, I don't think so.

I'm just curious what event eventually became the falldown of SH/JS. I mean they looked very close in the laputa scene. I mean, they were so close than EJ chided him for spending too much time at SH's. And JS became jealous when SH started to show interest in DH(dahee)? Was that the point JS bully DH(donghee)?

I hope that JS is innocent of the assault (if it did happen) and i hope SH survived long enough to apologise to JS for not believing him in that matter. I emphasise more with JS because i think he had the more realistic surrounding growing while SH's surrounding is more idealistic. 

44 minutes ago, maribella said:

This is a scene which is a bit hard to swallow even for KD. Wouldn't the mother at least want to see physical evidence? Or she would be dishevelled? Take her to hospital to prevent pregnancy? The parents seemed to be well to do so assuming they are educated, no way will they not do anything. At the very least a mother would seek out IH and do some hair pulling. DH's reactions were most likely from a guilty conscience.  But if she were raped, by whom? Must be one of the students or to be more convoluted one of the adults. No, I don't think so.

Sexually assaulted doesn't equate rape, rape is only a sub-category. It's still horrible and traumatizing, so I fully understand if someone can suffer long-term for it, even without pregnancy concerns etc. 

Definition from the Justice Department:

Sexual assault is any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape.

18 minutes ago, dzareth said:

I'm just curious what event eventually became the falldown of SH/JS. I mean they looked very close in the laputa scene. I mean, they were so close than EJ chided him for spending too much time at SH's. And JS became jealous when SH started to show interest in DH(dahee)? Was that the point JS bully DH(donghee)?

I think it started when Joon Seok was mean to Dong Hee, and Seon Ho didn't side with him. The fact that Seon Ho liked Da Hee didn't help either. Basically Joon Seok's insecure, and craves Seon Ho's friendship, and wants all that to himself, and he starts to feel upset to realize Seon Ho is nice to everyone and not just him, and may not always take his side if he's wrong. He says that means Seon Ho isn't "loyal", but really it's just his insecurity and how much he likes Seon Ho that drove his actions, ironically.

Okay. Finally caught up with Ep14. 

What a disturbing commentary on a reality that is playing out way too frequently in schools, mirroring, if not mimicking the ugliness that permeates the adult world. It took me a while to get past the first few episodes - oppressive, painful, frightening and all too real, with barely any room for air, and I had to step away for several days before I could continue the rest. From here on, there is some form of reprieve. Even as the barriers are slowly chipped away to reveal more and more of the truth, what makes the journey bearable is seeing unlikely allies forming - the once dismissive Detective Park; Reporter Choi whose initial personal motives became secondary as he comes to care for the boy and his family; DS and DH who found warmth and support from the Park family, ending up being a bedrock of support to them as well; the class teacher Lee who stood up against the injustices in the school as they pander to the will of OJP... the list goes on. 

Several main themes thread throughout the journey thus far.

Nurture

Parental or adult guidance is given prominence here, starkly contrasted in the lives of the victim and assailants. On the one hand, we see Seon Ho and Soo Ho whose family thrives on a foundation of love, tolerance, kindness and warmth - their parents becoming examples in how they live their lives, spilling over to an outward expression of their beings, touching those around them. Then we have the parents of the other boys - most of whom are self-serving, snide and arrogant, believing themselves to be superior to others, encouraging their children to be likewise, and deliberately helping them shirk their moral responsibility when it does not serve them to do so. Intentionally or not, the characters of the children are molded in the face of less than exemplary role models.

Abuse

There is no lack of abuse throughout the narrative. The scene that intercuts KIH's memories of loving, protecting Seon Ho from babyhood to now, with the flashes of his physical abuse at the hands of those who were once his friends, was one of the hardest scenes to watch - each physical blow an equally devastating emotional blow to her heart. Apart from the physical and even more shattering verbal abuse that tears down the soul, we see it too in the domestic abuse that is prevalent in the Oh family, with OJP's iron-clad control over his wife and son, reducing them into nothing but shells of what they could have been, mere puppets molded into what he determines their place to be. The abuse of authority is also evident, as people bow and scrape to cater to the wishes of those in power, disregarding their conscience and casting a blind eye to the downtrodden. 

Courage

The drama gives us example after example of courage in the unlikeliest of places. We see it in spades with the Parks - their indomitable will to see the truth come to light, and justice for their son, even when all avenues are closed and their cause shut down at every turn. It is there when Seon Ho stood up for Dong Hee against his best friend, and took her place in the abuse that ensued. We see it in Soo Ho who chooses to rein herself in when every fibre of her being wanted to attack JS for what he did to her brother. It is there again when Detective Park, listening to his conscience, goes against his superiors to reinvestigate Seon Ho's case; and Dong Hee who finds the moral fibre and courage to stand up and tell the truth, whatever the potential cost to herself. 

Trust

The question of trust is brought up again and again. Does one trust blindly, when evidence seems to point to the contrary? Or does one trust what one knows of a person, and in turn, trust that person not to betray it? We see it in the Parks, when the accusation of Da Hee's assault is hurled in their faces. It is interesting to see how differently both parents react to that shocking revelation - PMJ choosing steadfastly to believe in his son who cannot defend himself; KIH blindly terrified of the possibility and lashing out, afraid that it is true, until reminded by Soo Ho who her son is, what he is like. I am glad to have seen that part of KIH though... as until that moment, she has been the perfect avenging angel for her son, so it is good to see that put in the same shoes, she is fallible as well, but protected by a family who holds each other tightly in love even when the odds are against them.

On the other hand, we see distrust pushing JS to the brink - Seon Ho's belief that he assaulted Da Hee despite him repeatedly denying it; in his mother's actions who immediately assumes that he pushed his friend off the roof, and later her suspicions about his role in Da Hee's assault. The lack of trust erodes him as a person, and I believe pushes him to the other extreme, to be the one that everyone obviously assumes he is. Would he be different if someone held out their hand, appealing to the good that is within him, believing there is good in him? We see stirrings of that when PMJ spoke to him in the car. Will we see him be able to turn his life around, and become a better man in the end?

Being a parent myself, one of the things that frustrate me the most is the fact that Seon Ho chose not to confide in his parents about what was going down in his life. Why? There is no lack of love in the family, and his parents, while busy and sometimes distracted, would never have trivialised what he was facing, if he had only told them. Did he think that he could handle it on his own? Did he not want to be a burden to them? Did he not trust them to weigh the situation, guide and support him as only parents can, and face it with him as a family should? His very secrecy in itself, is evident of a lack of trust on his part as well.

It is not a perfectly executed drama. Pacing was a bit of an issue for me - dragging in some parts, repetitive and annoying in others, but the overall script, delivery and performances continue to keep me invested. I am unsure if it is the intent of the direction, but KIH's screaming and tears are beginning to wear thin which sometimes make me far less sympathetic than I should be. However, the saving grace comes from PHS' far muted but no less powerful portrayal of PMJ's grief, overcoming his guilt and innate non-confrontational nature to stand up for what is right and just - and it is the combination of the two polar opposites that make this couple one that I root so desperately for and long to see this family heal and find happiness once more. Multi-faceted characterisations, particularly among the younger characters, are well depicted - Soo Ho, forced to grow up a lot sooner but learning to temper her impetuous tendencies while forging her own way to fight for her brother is the product of the best of both parents. On the other spectrum, JS whose stifling existence in a family that is bereft of true warmth and affection, views life with a skewed moral compass, exacerbated by the example and guidance set by his parents. DS and DH whose underprivileged existence should plunge them into despair, find the strength and help to face a better future with dignity, and the courage to speak up for what is right. I think the one that is too perfect, at least for me, is Seon Ho. Despite repeated aspersions cast on his character, he is vindicated again and again as the truth is slowly revealed through one avenue or another. Much as I love him and root for him, I find that he has been too idealised thus far, which makes him a far less believable character than he should have been.

Now it remains to see how the last two episodes play out. Da Hee remains a mystery, and while her lipstick is in JS' possession, I am inclined to believe his denials, which then makes me wonder why she, after keeping silent, chose to accuse the one person who defended her as her assailant. Was it because with Seon Ho in a coma, he was a convenient scapegoat, rather than admitting her shame at being toyed with by JS? Or is there another more insidious reason. In any case, I should stop rambling. Suffice to say I go in to the finale, praying that it will continue to be strong and well-scripted to the end.

Archived