[Drama 2019] Angel's Last Mission: Love 단, 하나의 사랑

meechuttso

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said, there are still many mysteries so it's hard to make a more informed guess about the reincarnation, but I basically agree with everything @immorethant mentioned in her post where she included most of the stuff I wanted to say. About JKW's ageing, the fact that it seems he didn't grow older, it very rarely happens in kdramas that the same actor play a forty-year old character, in flashbacks where he was only 20, but I don't think this is the case. Here are my thoughts about it: 

• For the reincarnation theory to work JKW's lover would have to die some 27 years ago.
  • However, there is a huge possibility that she died 15 years ago. Remember that at the buddhist temple JKW said that "his friend was put in there 15 years ago"? When he talked to Dan he was adamant that they NEED to meet at that temple so I think the reason might be that he wanted to bring the two versions of his lover together, to somehow connect them.
  • Also, notice that he interred the body at a buddhist, NOT CATHOLIC TEMPLE, which might support the whole "fallen" angel theory, considering how hesitant Dan was to go there.

15g6CR2.jpg

• Furthermore, there is the fact that while JKW has the videos of young YS, since when does he know about her? And most importantly WHY DID HE APPROACH HER ONLY NOW, AFTER SUCH A LONG TIME? She had such a hard time in these past three years but he comes only now.
  • Then there is the fact that Dan has also a past connection with YS, WITH THE REAL YS.  Judging from the appearance of his child actor, HE MUST HAVE DIED WHEN HE WAS APPROX. 10 YEARS OLD, THAT IS 15 YEARS AGO!
  • And finally, remember that Mrs. Jung said that, apart from Dan, SHE ONLY SAW YS BICKERING WHEN SHE WAS 10 YEARS OLD, APPROX. 15 YEARS AGO! AND MOST LIKELY, ONCE AGAIN WITH DAN.

KmhablH.jpg

So in the end, it might be a doppleganger reincarnation combined, but there is the possibility that YS is merely an doppleganger, nothing more nothing less who is a dead ringer for his past lover and JKW is projecting his feelings for his dead lover on her, to the point where he believes she is her.

He is an angel so he has a connection with the Catholic Church but Catholics/Christians don't believe in reincarnation, but Buddhists do which might be one of the reasons why he interred his past lover at a Buddhist temple.

Maybe he simply can''t accept the fact that she is dead. If she really died 15 years ago it's very unlikely that she was reincarnated. However, if she died really some 27 years ago it would be an interesting twist if she did get reborn but wit someone else's face which would mean JKW actually pines after the wrong woman. Imagine if the reincarnation were Ni Na. It's just another speculation and very unlikely at that, but interesting nonetheless.

deGZBBD.jpg

13 minutes ago, briseis said:

About JKW's ageing, the fact that it seems he didn't grow older, it rarely happens in kdramas that the same character play a forty-year old character, in flashbacks where he was only 20, but I don't think this is the case. Here are my thoughts about it: 

• For the reincarnation theory to work JKW's lover would have to die some 27 years ago.
  • However, there is a huge possibility that she died 15 years ago. Remember that at the buddhist temple JKW said that "his friend was put in there 15 years ago"? When he talked to Dan he was adamant that they NEED to meet at that temple so I think the reason might be that he wanted to bring the two versions of his lover together, to somehow connect them.

Furthermore, there is the fact that while JKW has the videos of young YS, since when does he know about her? And most importantly WHY DID HE APPROACH HER ONLY NOW, AFTER SUCH A LONG TIME? She had such a hard time in these past three years but he comes only now.

The timeline doesn't seem to work for a reincarnation theory.

Maybe JKW's fallen angel status pauses his aging process?

Maybe JKW waited until Mr. Jo was eliminated from the equation to approach Yeon-Seo?

45 minutes ago, kokkuri33 said:

Just watched the today's episodes with Eng subs- missed a lot of clues:

• JKW's love interest (Matilde?) was married (not necessarily to JKW) and died in his arms.
  • Matilde was a dancer/ballerina.
  • Matilde had a strong resemblance to Yeon-Seo.
  • JKW noted that Yeon-Seo "must have had a good teacher."

Current theory:

• Matilde is Yeon-Seo's MOTHER.
  • As a human, JKW pursued her, but lost out to Yeon-Seo's father (Yeon-Seo's father likely had a wealthy upbringing/was selected by Matilde's parents.)
  • Matilde's tragic suicide was a protective action (protecting JKW, or more likely, protecting Yeon-Seo)
  • JKW could not handle the pain, and took his own life
  • a devil/demon gave JKW the option to return to the world, with special abilities (ex. wings), in exchange for his soul
  • JKW was told he could "reunite on Earth with Matilde", but the actual contract had some devilish wordplay (ex. "reunite with Matilde's heart")
  • JKW's feelings are currently muddled- between love for Matilde and feelings of love/protectiveness for all that remains of Matilde in this world (her daughter)
  • he has been biding his time waiting for the right set of circumstances (some of the circumstances were likely of his own design) to re-unite with Matilde/Yeon-Seo
  • JKW is furious at the prospect of losing Matilde AGAIN, this time to Kim Dan
  • in life, JKW was a good person, now... well, that has yet to be determined

Kim Dan probably sacrificed himself (in his youth) to save Yeon-Seo, and was made an angel as a result of that sacrifice.

His lack of experience made him an immature, lackluster angel, only able to be tasked with the easiest missions.

He's been sent to gain more life experience in this "mission", with his childhood love, Yeon-Seo.

He'll be given the choice to remain with Yeon-Seo, as a mortal human, or return to an angelic existence, after 100 days have passed.

There are probably some references to different ballets in the storyline, but the above is my current guess.

OK @kokkuri33 since I had already credited you

18 hours ago, meechuttso said:

I think @kokkuri33 called it first? I think JKW might be a fallen angel who desires to possess Yeon-Seo for himself and her soul, too.

with being the first one to guess that JKW might be a fallen angel, I'll go along with your latest theory - except I do not believe Mathilde (I didn't hear this name but we'll use that) is YS's mother. This doppelganger was supposed to be in America / NY with JKW, and she spoke some English (I found her saying 'hot mess' quite hilarious but adorable), but I highly doubt we got a k-drama with a guy wanting mother and daughter - we can't go there yet, SK not that progressive, LoL.

This was another Dae-Bak episode - the  best one so far, in the most enjoyable drama experience of my relatively short k-drama fangirling life, with more than a couple of 'cider moments' (my terminology from watching SHS's previous drama MGL, where your frustrations mount from the story but then are gratified fully by a resolving scene), so many of them, all between YS and Dan. Yeon-Seo's apology was soo precious. Her walking into the press conference in her white dress like a supermodel... And the kiss, oh the KISS! I can't believe @immorethant hasn't posted 327 versions of it already here. I lovvvved the Dan and JKW teaming up to pull a Kim Sang-Min (from 5children) to steal Lee Yeon-Seo (not Yeon-Tae)'s shoes and she ends up riding piggyback! ;)

This episode 4 (7-8) even had a big blooper.

Spoiler

About the 30th minute when YS goes to the park and finds Dan sleeping under newspaper - except she's walking just fine with her dog without a cane! LoL - This was obviously filmed at the same time that episode 1 was on location on a fine day, and so they forgot this detail or they changed it afterwards and couldn't substitute the right one.

But it was such an amazing episode, and I am so happy and even a bit proud that half of my far fetched predictions came true, too (like the bits about Dan's handkerchief being 'magic' in at least 2 scenes).

There's so much more, and I haven't the time to respond to everyone's precious thoughts too, especially @titania1000 who's positively gushing again like some tap broke open :w00t: but I'll be back!

Welcome to this thread, all you new lurkers likers turned lovers and posters @screwdila @Ana Paula Cionci

@rainbowinspirit

@turtle0217 and thanks @turtlegirl and @briseis and others for tag team live recaps with texts and pics and everyone else too many to mention!  :wub:

D72GiPWUcAAMdNm.jpg

19 minutes ago, kokkuri33 said:

The timeline doesn't seem to work for a reincarnation theory.

Maybe JKW's fallen angel status pauses his aging process?

Maybe JKW waited until Mr. Jo was eliminated from the equation to approach Yeon-Seo?

Yes, it all raises even more questions: If he doesn't age, is he immortal? And if he is a fallen angel then how come the deity left him roam free on Earth? Perhaps it's Dan's fate to deal with him. I mean there are so many possibilities and questions and I'm looking foward to learn the answers to them in the upcoming weeks, just as I'm looking foward to everyone's brilliant opinions and insights because this thread is a heaven for me :wub:

And before I go to sleep, a little bonus gif of the "lip collision" :lol:

tumblr_inline_psbx9kyS3J1rhkl0p_540.gif

Wow @briseis, super analysis, thank you so much.

You mentioned lots of things that I didn't notice (e.g. bickering 10 years ago, Buddhist temple vs Catholic church, 'his friend put there 15 years ago' ) :scream::love:

- Now I'm curious, if JKW is an angel , does he also have this same handkerchief ?

- How much does the archangel know about JKW ?  Really want to see a scene with both of them interact to each other. They may also have past story.

- The scene that the girl died, JKW was kneeling down like preparing to accept some punishment ? and then the girl took that instead of him ?  But if it was a gun shot that JKW was preparing to take, does it mean he was human at that time ? Not an angel who fell in love with the girl ?

53 minutes ago, briseis said:

it would be an interesting twist if she did get reborn but wit someone else's face which would mean JKW actually pines after the wrong woman. Imagine if the reincarnation were Ni Na. It's just another speculation and very unlikely at that, but interesting nonetheless.

My silly thought (and my apology in advance), just kidding.

Is it possible that the 'Matil' girl died and became angel Dan ? That's why he loved watching dancing and he can dance very well.   And somehow JKW sensed that.

This girl may love chocolate so he bought chocolate cake for Dan. 

And his real mission is Dan , he just want to get close to YS to get to Dan....:neutral:

And the last scene he didn't get jealous because of Yeon-Seo but because of Dan :joy:

36 minutes ago, meechuttso said:

I lovvvved the Dan and JKW teaming up to pull a Kim Sang-Min (from 5children) to steal Lee Yeon-Seo (not Yeon-Tae)'s shoes and she ends up riding piggyback! ;)

The stolen shoes scene....LOL..made me think of Sang-Min Yeon-Du too.

36 minutes ago, meechuttso said:

I can't believe @immorethant hasn't posted 327 versions of it already here.

I will post surely , already saved many pics of that...but the ending of JKW got me distracted...LOL...:P

8wDLL0d.gif

H5MB2cn.gif

(Credit @EteruART twitter)

Hello Chingus!

Alrighty! I may not be as nervous as I was after watching with the subs. I think, I feel ... satisfied. :lol:

I think, I’m jinxing myself. From the beginning as you know I was hoping there not to be any kind of relationship between YS & KW in the past, as in I hope they hadn’t date - But we get this. I’m gonna be really careful with my words from here on. :lol:

When writers gave us flashbacks of YS & Dan in the first week, I thought that’s how they are going to narrate and give us hints by showing their childhood at the end of every episode. It didn’t happen in the third & suddenly tables changed in the last episode. I don’t know if to praise the writer/director or be annoyed. 

Suddenly, I do not think YS is the same woman KW dated/married in the past. That woman, the blurry picture on the screen, is clearly Hae Sun.  

Now why I think it’s not her? Not Hae Sun, but Yeon-Seo. That woman sounded like a foreign slash Korean. YS is not. When KW talked about a friend from 15 years ago, was he talking about this woman - Matilde? I don’t think the timing of all this matters. If KW was an Angel, meaning he probably died once. It doesn’t matter how old he is now, does it? The way we are not sure about Dan’s death and for how long he’s been an Angel then same applies to KW, no? That incident could have happened 15 years ago or 20. :ph34r:

On the other hand, say that woman is YS then there’s more to the story than YS/KW’s past. Because there’s always the beginning of Dan & YS’s childhood. Her first love. Was Dan. Probably. It’s all starts from there, no? 

Spoiler

I have a feeling writer is trying to confuse us. 

In other news: Like boss, like butler! I must say I love their scenes! If there’s anybody who loves YS after her parents, Mr. Joe - It’s Yoo Mi. In her own way. 

I don’t know what to say about Ni Na. To be honest, she’s one complex character. Is she really nice or will she be able to become a selfish person after all? I really want YS to have at least one family member who cares for her. She didn’t look too happy to see YS at the conference.

Edit: Basically I think I came to the same conclusion as @briseis@immorethant after reading their posts. 

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@titania1000 I have to say that after reading the recap and the posts on this thread, I have changed my mind about JKW. I haven't watched the last episode yet. I am still thinking that JKW will help LYS in a certain way: investigating the crimes against LYS. However, the new revelations made me see JKW in a different light. JKW thinks, he loves LYS due to the past (reincarnation) but in reality, what he really loves is the ballerina LYS and not the woman LYS. This explains why he is so determined to have her returned to the ballet. He thinks, if he brings her back to the stage, she will fall in love with him and this will be true love. However, while preparing herself, LYS will realize the importance of KD in her life and that ballet means nothing compared to KD. Furthermore, while KD is turning the "beast" LYS into a decent person (she can become an angel again), I have the feeling that JKW in his past had the opposite effect in Matilda's life.

We should see that JKW is being tested by the deity: he needs to realize what true love is. I believe, in his past, he thought, he loved the ballerina Matilda, while in reality it was not true love. Rather a selfish love... Don't forget the words he said to Ni Na. She needed to be more selfish... his speech definitely sounded more like the speech from the Devil. That's why I think that JKW needs to realize his own shortcoming: leading a good person into the wrong path. I guess, JKW will come to realize what true love is due to KD/LYS. But now here is the question: will he have a bad influence on Ni Na or Ni Na will change him and turn into a real angel? 

My thoughts are about the same after watching the episode. 

I keep thinking there is a major key in the reason why the second lead (now we know is also an angel or fallen angel of some kind) is so set on doing Giselle. 

SYNOPSIS: GISELLE - (From the SF ballet website) 

ACT I

Giselle begins in the village of Thuringen, located in the German Rhineland. Giselle, a lovely peasant girl with a weak heart and a passion for dancing, is courted by a young man known to her as Loys. He is, in fact, Albrecht, Duke of Silesia, disguised as a peasant. Loys vows eternal love for Giselle, but the mood is shattered by Hilarion, a woodsman. He has long been in love with Giselle, but she rejects him and makes clear her feelings for Loys. Hilarion is suspicious of Loys, and he angrily vows to uncover the true identity of this mystery man and separate the two lovers.

Giselle and Loys are met by friends and villagers on their way from the vineyards, and all join in a dance. But Berthe, Giselle’s mother, admonishes the girl for dancing so much, afraid that her daughter’s heart will give out. She tells Giselle and the villagers the story of the Wilis, young women who died before their wedding day and must spend eternity dancing. This, she fears, will be Giselle’s fate. Berthe leads a reluctant Giselle indoors, and Loys takes his leave.

Horns sound in the distance, signaling the imminent arrival of a hunting party. Hilarion returns and breaks into Loys’ hut as the horns sound again. The hunting party arrives, led by the Duke of Courland and his daughter, Bathilde, who are seeking sustenance.

As Giselle sees to her guests, Bathilde engages her in conversation. The noblewoman inquires whether Giselle has a boyfriend, and Giselle explains that she is engaged. Bathilde responds that she is also engaged and asks after Giselle’s fiancé. Giselle says that she is looking for him but can’t find him. Bathilde is charmed by Giselle, and requests the Duke’s permission to present the girl with her necklace. Giselle is so delighted by the gift that, as a gesture of thanks, she dances for Bathilde.

The Duke and Bathilde go to Giselle’s cottage for a rest, and the hunting party disperses. Hilarion emerges from Loys’ hut holding his rival’s sword. He notices the hunting horn hanging outside Giselle’s cottage, and on closer examination, he sees that it is branded with the same crest as the sword. He feels vindicated, triumphant. But before he can expose Loys’ deception to Giselle, the vintagers return. Hilarion hides the sword and waits.

Giselle’s friends return and crown her Queen of the Vintage. Everyone dances in celebration of the harvest, including Giselle and Loys. But their revelry is interrupted by an angry Hilarion, who rushes toward Giselle and denounces Loys as a deceiver. He presents the sword as proof. Giselle does not want to believe him. Hilarion summons the hunting party with the horn, and Loys, or Albrecht, can no longer conceal his identity. Not only is he a nobleman, but he is engaged to Bathilde! Giselle is distraught beyond measure. She stabs herself with Albrecht’s sword and sinks into madness. Weakened physically and emotionally, she collapses and dies.

ACT II

Giselle has been buried in a forest, close to a lake. Hilarion comes to grieve at her grave, but does not linger; he senses the presence of Wilis.

Myrtha, Queen of the Wilis, summons her subjects to appear and assist her in initiating Giselle to their sisterhood. The Wilis hide about the forest as Albrecht, full of remorse and sorrow, comes to mourn at Giselle’s grave and seek her forgiveness. She suddenly appears before him, and he runs off in pursuit of her. Meanwhile, Hilarion has been found in the forest by the Wilis. On Myrtha’s orders, they make him dance until he is exhausted and then cast him into the lake, where he dies.

Now Albrecht’s presence is revealed, and Myrtha commands that he, too, must die. Giselle intervenes, telling him to seek shelter at the cross of her grave, where she stands in protection. But the vengeful Myrtha orders Giselle to dance. She obeys, and Albrecht is soon drawn to her. They beg the Wilis to help them, but their pleas are rebuffed. They begin a pas de deux, and Myrtha now realizes how Albrecht will meet his death. She will see to it that he dances until he dies.

A weary Albrecht pleads to put a halt to his dancing. His entreaty is refused. Giselle again pleads for his life, but she cannot sway Myrtha. Albrecht continues to dance, until he collapses from exhaustion. But the darkness of the forest is broken by the first light of dawn, banishing the Wilis. Giselle returns to the earth. Albrecht, overcome by his love for Giselle and by the generosity of her forgiveness, is left to weep at her grave.

1 hour ago, larrysouth said:

I got to watch the subbed episodes this evening and these were two excellent episodes.  I really feel for Ni Na and hope somehow she gets a happy ending.  She looks like a genuinely good person in this series.

What should be a delightfully uncomfortable scene, which I pray we get to see next week is Ms. Butler coming to the house the next day and notice the odd way that Yeon-Seo and Kim-Dan are completely avoiding any close contact with each other and trying to avoid Ms. Butler's eyes so that she does not catch on.  This will immediately make her suspicious and set her radar on.  These are the sort of scenes I live for because they can be so over the top.

I am very curious regarding the meaning of Kim-Dan's handkerchief glowing as they kissed.  I almost got the sense that it was a magic seal of some kind that somehow permanently bonded them together.  I am wondering if the same thing would have happened with JKW's ring if JKW and YS would have kissed.  It was interesting that the handkerchief did not glow when they first kissed but when they both gave into the subsequent kissing.  It would be hilarious if they both woke up the next morning with chapped lips from an evening-long kissfest.   

Regarding the ring - Maybe it was simply’s

Matilda’s and he kept it as a souvenir after she died. 

Just wow wow wow you guys! This is so awesome, everything on this thread!! B):wub::w00t:

I got one more thing I just found, though! I just updated on the 1st page OST links the latest OST#2. While doing that, I read once more the OST#1 lyrics - got shivers! Guess whose song that is, sung by the older Korean legendary singer Lee Moon-Sae? If you're not sure, go to Episode 1 and notice when this song comes in for the very first time. :phew::ph34r:

That's right! The song belongs to none other than Ji Kang-Woo! He's singing about his lost love that, "as if by a miracle, has returned to me". Even the reference of "wandering the earth with a traceless path (loner) going hither and thither day after day" sounds like a lost soul in purgatory or the devil or something like that.:naughty:

So this definitely leads me to think that LDG (the actor)'s role of JKW is a very significant part of the story - we don't know between Mathilde and Yeon-Seo who is who and what is what and when it all happened, but as of now, LYS doesn't belong to Dan at all, not by the amount of time spent with her on his part, compared to the kind of all-consuming affair that JKW's (or his previous incarnation) was with the mystery 'hot mess' Mathilde.  I want to pat myself on the back for the second time today for this one, Chingoos!  Haha. :innocent:

D73mz1xU8AAsaEd.jpg:large

D73m05lVsAQytwH.jpg:large

D73m1f5U0AE39q9.jpg:large    

D73m2gkUIAIJIND.jpg:large

1 hour ago, ShannonK said:

I keep thinking there is a major key in the reason why the second lead (now we know is also an angel or fallen angel of some kind) is so set on doing Giselle. 

So welcome to the thread and thanks for your post @ShannonK!

So then,

Mathilde = original Giselle?

Yeon-Seo = hologram Giselle rising from the grave and dancing? Then returning to the grave?

JKW = Loys/Lord Albrecht?

Kim Dan = ?? surely not the woodsman Hilarion, could he be? :crazy:

Well Giselle as the backdrop for ALM:L wouldn't quite make sense, but I agree with you that JKW the director/obsessed-over-lost-love man/angel/devil wanting to do Giselle instead of Swan Lake in the drama makes perfect sense! Thank you! :phew:

Welcome also to @nat_phoenix88 @dramaninja @uglypearl again, and @jasminssiii  :w00t::wub:

99EE8C355CF0A40331

Just can't get enuff!!

18 minutes ago, Ni Wen said:

KBS really don't know how to select good BTS scenes. Almost none that I wanna see except for this little part. :sweatingbullets:

I know! They should have given the party fight BTS as well! Maybe they are scared to reveal too much? :lol:

1 hour ago, jakey09 said:

I know! They should have given the party fight BTS as well! Maybe they are scared to reveal too much? :lol:

Yeah I was waiting to see the fighting and cake throwing BTS :crazy:. I mean that scene is already over why can't show. They are scared to feed DanYeon shippers. This KBS, pppppffff. ^_^

Why does the aunt hate our leading girl so much? Also what where the books that her sleezy hubby was burning? 

Also I am scared that Dan will be fired because of that voice thingy that she was listening to. 

1 hour ago, jakey09 said:

When you are so worried that your sweet BTS scenes will be released to public.

QZBD0Us.gif

(credit @moo_bingsu_do2 twitter)

Archived