[Drama 2019] Angel's Last Mission: Love 단, 하나의 사랑

meechuttso

2 hours ago, briseis said:

Shin Hye Sun's performance in the drama is incredible and she does the absolute maximum in the ballet scenes with the limited practice she had. Furthermore, the PD and editing team do wonderful job at combining her performance with that of her ballet double. SHS was cast because of her acting ability and no one can expect her do to all the ballet techniques which take long years to master. However, I think this is where I have only the slightest problem with the drama, and that is the casting Kim Bo Mi as Ni Na. Don't get me wrong, I actually love her character because she is really an atypical second female lead in any many aspects and KBM does a really good job at playing her.

However, the problem I have is that she is a real professional ballerina. She's been dancing ballet since she was 11 years old and even studied it at her university and whether you are a complete amateur or follow ballet theater closely, you can immediately notice the level of her expertise and the difference between her and SHS. Kim Bo Mi has the ballet physique - small, light build, but with strong muscles because ballet requires a lot of strength and is extremely physically demanding -, she has all the techniques (she has absolutely no trouble performing all the pirouettes en pointe) and also has the theatrical acting required for ballet which is different than normal acting because ballerinas' acting ability is hindered by the amount of make-up and the fact that they don't speak, therefore their facial expressions must be more pronounced. Kim Bo Mi has it all and performs everything on her own. Thus, there is always a part of me that has problem believing that Yeon Seo is the superior dancer from the two. It's not because Shin Hye Sun's performance would be lacking in any way considering the circumstance, but I think they should have cast as Ni Na an actress who wasn't a professional ballerina to avoid the confusion and inconsistency. On the other hand, I think it could prove to be helpful when YS will be trying to return to ballet and she could face problem getting back to her former level. At the same time I admire the PD for actually casting a professional for the role, it's extremely rare to happen and I have the highest respect for Kim Bo Mi and her performance, even though I think that in this case it's slightly counterproductive.

Hide contents

I’m not going to get into the nitty gritty of what Hae Sun was able to do or what body double achieved on her behalf. Someone who can barely dance in clubs and move her body only if she is drunk (Said by SHS herself), I think it’s a big deal for me! I’m just thinking if she was able to achieve this much in only 4 months, what else could she achieve in an other four? 

Have y’all seen the bruises and red marks on her feet? I can’t help noticing her feet, be it in Press Conference or BTS Photoshoots - it’s even visible in the scenes here and there ... It amazes me how far anyone can go to entertain their audience. So bringing in the BD, I feel I’m disrespecting her. But I would like to think she did most of her own except jumping in the air. lol

Doesn’t matter if KBM is a professional dancer. Good for her. Maybe the director did want a professional in order for him to direct real ballet dancing from all angles. It could have been for technical reasons. I don’t think KBM casting should be a problem. At least it’s balancing out with her bad acting (so far). 

If we are worried KBM will over shadow SHS in the dancing department, I think that is not possible at all. No offence to Bo Mi but it’s hard to take your eyes off Hae Sun in anyway when she is on screen. And she is too good.

I’m not speaking as a fan - If I wasn’t a HS fan before ... I would be after this. The ballet dancing? It’s HS’s show all the way. 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why L and SHS were forced into such a high level of involvement in those potentially-dangerous bridge scenes.

They are both way too vital to the success of the production to risk a possible injury issue.

If either (or both) were unable to continue filming as scheduled, the additional costs would be extremely high.

This production decision made absolutely no sense, in terms of potential costs and likely benefits.

The production team should have handled things differently.

Instead of lauding the actors for their professionalism, in doing their best when forced into dangerous and unnecessary conditions, we should be deriding the production team for their lack of professionalism and shortsightedness.

2 hours ago, briseis said:

Shin Hye Sun's performance in the drama is incredible and she does the absolute maximum in the ballet scenes with the limited practice she had. Furthermore, the PD and editing team do wonderful job at combining her performance with that of her ballet double. SHS was cast because of her acting ability and no one can expect her do to all the ballet techniques which take long years to master. However, I think this is where I have only the slightest problem with the drama, and that is the casting Kim Bo Mi as Ni Na. Don't get me wrong, I actually love her character because she is really an atypical second female lead in any many aspects and KBM does a really good job at playing her.

However, the problem I have is that she is a real professional ballerina. She's been dancing ballet since she was 11 years old and even studied it at her university and whether you are a complete amateur or follow ballet theater closely, you can immediately notice the level of her expertise and the difference between her and SHS. Kim Bo Mi has the ballet physique - small, light build, but with strong muscles because ballet requires a lot of strength and is extremely physically demanding -, she has all the techniques (she has absolutely no trouble performing all the pirouettes en pointe) and also has the theatrical acting required for ballet which is different than normal acting because ballerinas' acting ability is hindered by the amount of make-up and the fact that they don't speak, therefore their facial expressions must be more pronounced. Kim Bo Mi has it all and performs everything on her own. Thus, there is always a part of me that has problem believing that Yeon Seo is the superior dancer from the two. It's not because Shin Hye Sun's performance would be lacking in any way considering the circumstance, but I think they should have cast as Ni Na an actress who wasn't a professional ballerina to avoid the confusion and inconsistency. On the other hand, I think it could prove to be helpful when YS will be trying to return to ballet and she could face problem getting back to her former level. At the same time I admire the PD for actually casting a professional for the role, it's extremely rare to happen and I have the highest respect for Kim Bo Mi and her performance, even though I think that in this case it's slightly counterproductive.

Reveal hidden contents

yIyYWh9.pngi82hP9I.pngd1v6R5X.png3uCXXDi.png

I think casting KBM, with her ballet experience, does make some sense.

Yeon-Seo was, three years ago, the better ballerina.

(Probably. We don't currently know what role nepotism played in YS' installation as the lead. It wouldn't surprise if Fantasia was created with the specific purpose of installing YS as the lead, regardless of actual talent. Considering the timeline of Fantasia's existence this seems very plausible, if not likely. Maybe, in reality NN was always the better ballerina- we don't know, yet.)

However, YS has spent the last three years falling out of practice, while Ni-Na has continued to improve. In fact, YS has spent the last 3 years without eyesight.

YS has an awful lot of ground to make up, to get to Ni-Na's current level. (First, she needs to adjust to her new corneas/actually being able to see again!) It makes some sense to have KBM, an experienced ballerina help highlight the vastness of the difference between current YS and current NN.

(If it was my decision, though, I would have just cast ballerinas to stand-in for all ballet scenes, and cast actors to handle all the acting scenes.)

I haven’t been really paying attention to this drama, but I saw a soompi article about knetz praising SHS for her acting, so I decided to watch. I’m so glad I did! I haven’t been this into a new drama for a really long time. Only problem is I regret starting so early cause now I have to wait for new episodes :tears:

1 hour ago, choco milo said:

I haven’t been really paying attention to this drama, but I saw a soompi article about knetz praising SHS for her acting, so I decided to watch. I’m so glad I did! I haven’t been this into a new drama for a really long time. Only problem is I regret starting so early cause now I have to wait for new episodes :tears:

I think, that’s everyone’s issue. 

I, myself, started watching a show after ages. Was it DOTS or SWDBS? I missed the kind of excitement we had during those times! Got it back with this show! B)

4 hours ago, briseis said:

I think the casting is on point though. I mean Kim Bomi's Nina being a ballerina definitely makes it easier to film the ballet aspects of the show. I think she does well with what is given but I don't know if she has better range as an actor to do more and leave a bigger impact. We don't even know if she will have much screen time in the coming weeks though, it may be moderate or it may be even less that what we see right now. Lets not forget one thing, this show is not one of those 'Fallen ballerina regains her glory' stories. It is about a character named Yeon Seo who happens to be a ballerina. She has lost her parents, her eyesight, one thing dear to her ballet, she can't perform that and she is surrounded by vultures ready to rip her apart. This girl has lost all her passion for life, positivity, light, faith in others and is unable to trust anybody. She has closed her heart to others completely. This is a show about how this cynics gains back pieces of her broken heart and makes it whole again. The emotional wreck that Yeon Seo is, I doubt a ballerina who may nail the moves of ballet can pull that off. Her scene where she watches the video tapes and cries her heart out is testament to that. In the hand of a lesser actor, that scene could have been a disaster. They needed an actor with the range and capability to immerse us with her performance, so they probably consciously chose an actor. They can always have a stand in/body double help with the ballet scenes but I have a feeling it will not be much of a focus in the coming episodes. For all we know, Yeon Seo may find her happiness without centering it all around her ability and success as a ballerina.

41 minutes ago, Liting1 said:

I'm so bored... I'm painfully waiting for the new episodes already. It's killing me. :mellow::unsure:

*gif credit to Twitter*

Same. 

I wanted to watch that special VLive ... that idiot KBS ... I don’t know what they did to it! 

THE (FALLEN) ANGEL

From the very beginning, Kim Dan has been a huge enigma. Although he possesses an innate goodness there is something elusive about him, something simmering just under the surface - an underlying sadness, a hint of tragedy and even something darker and colder. Is it an echo of his past life? Was his death an accident or an attempted suicide? He clearly suffered a difficult childhood if he wished to die; considering his injuries was he neglected or abused by his parents or bullied by his peers? There is this sense of ambiguity around Dan which I think is related to his status - whether he was serving his time as an angel or, now, as YS’s “human” guardian there has been always a part of him which is not completely angelic or completely human. And Kim Myung Soo is really great at incorporating these aspects of Dan’s personality into his performance. Dan is 25 years old now which means he aged naturally and that is definitely something you wouldn’t expect from angels who are supposed to immortal. There is also the fact that he was unable to enter paradise unless he completed his mission and, unlike his superior, he can’t change his appearance. And I already talked about his human emotions and attachments in my previous post. So Dan is neither fish nor fowl. He is basically this half-human, half-angelic being whose memory was clearly erased before he started his service as an angel. I find that his gorgeous wings reveal and capture this duality of his character perfectly - they are otherwordly and they glow, or to be more precise, they are the only part of him that glows, his body is human. Is Dan truly dead or is he lying in coma somewhere?

2td9dkh.jpg

What caught my attention is the glaring disparity between the darker image of Dan as he’s been portrayed in the opening and promo spots and the white look we see in the drama. Is he dressed in black in those promos just for contrast purposes or is there something deeper the director wants to express or hint? If you watch the visually stunning opening and promos, each character is represented by something which defines them - the  three ballet professionals via their connection to ballet - and then there is Dan: dressed all in black (a color associated with mystery, darkness and death), walking alone in semi-darkness with lights casting shadows on his face, raising his hands in reverence towards the light shining in the darkness. He looks more like a sinner than an angel or if so, then a fallen one. Nothing suggests he is an angel but the shadow of his wings on the wall and their reflection in the water. These elements often appear in the drama, too, as Dan admires his own shadow or as he notices the reflection of his wings in the window. These aspects of water, shadows and reflections are something which seem to be extremely important to the whole story.

PrHQfCH.jpg

I think the writer might by hinting on the concept of a fallen angel, though not in the devil/Lucifer extent, but rather as a rebellion against the almighty considering Dan has been breaking the rules and laws, letting his human emotions get the better of him, changing one’s fate, having the door to paradise be closed to him because of it and now he just might fall in love with a human.

12 hours ago, briseis said:

@jakey09  @Nymeria289 took the words out of my mouth. But i would just like to add on my little bit. Regardless whether a professional ballerina is casted or not, I think it doesn't makes too vast of a difference to the dynamics of this drama where ballet is not the main and only focus. To me, it's like comparing an apple to an orange.

Kim Bo Mi is a ballerina who started dancing from 11 years old and went on to major ballet in university. She have the basics, the physique and the talent. Shin Hye Sun is an actress who does not even dance and has only started intense ballet training for this drama 3 months ago all cranked in a total duration of 120 days. She admits in her press interviews that ballet is too difficult an art for someone as lazy (to move or exercise; she probably would rather be reading comics at home lol) as her. I think she would never have dreamt about doing ballet if not for this drama.

They... are in a different league.

Shin Hye Sun is an actress who have slayed all her roles to date and has proven herself as an outstanding acting gem. Kim Bo Mi is a professional ballerina who later became an actress but have yet to impress with her roles so far.

Again, they are in a different league.

No matter how you put them together, it's not adding up. Ultimately, Shin Hye Sun still holds the show, isn't it. :P 

8 minutes ago, Ni Wen said:

@jakey09  @Nymeria289 took the words out of my mouth. But i would just like to add on my little bit. Regardless whether a professional ballerina is casted or not, I think it doesn't makes too vast of a difference to the dynamics of this drama where ballet is not the main and only focus. To me, it's like comparing an apple to an orange.

Kim Bo Mi is a ballerina who started dancing from 11 years old and went on to major ballet in university. She have the basics, the physique and the talent. Shin Hye Sun is an actress who does not even dance and has only started intense ballet training for this drama 3 months ago all cranked in a total duration of 120 days. She admits in her press interviews that ballet is too difficult an art for someone as lazy (to move or exercise. She probably would rather be reading comics at home) as her.

Shin Hye Sun is an actress who have slayed all her roles to date and has proven herself as an outstanding acting gem. Kim Bo Mi is a professional ballerina who later became an actress but have yet to impress with her roles so far.

No matter how you put them together, it's not adding up. Ultimately, Shin Hye Sun still holds the show, isn't it. :P 

Yep. She holds the show. Nicely put. 

1 hour ago, Ni Wen said:

Kim Bo Mi is a ballerina who started dancing from 11 years old and went on to major ballet in university. She have the basics, the physique and the talent. Shin Hye Sun is an actress who does not even dance and has only started intense ballet training for this drama 3 months ago all cranked in a total duration of 120 days. She admits in her press interviews that ballet is too difficult an art for someone as lazy (to move or exercise; she probably would rather be reading comics at home lol) as her. I think she would never have dreamt about doing ballet if not for this drama.

If you read my post then you must have realized that I have the utmost respect for SHS and described her as a brilliant actress multiple times and praised her performance. There is no comparison with her and KBM on the acting level because SHS is the better actress by far. The point I wanted to make was purely on the dancing level because that's where KBM is objectively better. SHS does a wonderful job on the dancing part considering her limited training, you can see she gives it her all, as once again I also mentioned, but if you look at the dancing montages of the two the average viewer will simply notice the difference - that you never see the full-body shot of SHS performing en pointe pirouettes and so on, unlike KBM, therefore it takes a certain suspension of disbelief on the viewer's part to buy that YS is the superior ballerina. That is why I said that it might have been better if they cast as Ni Na an actress who isn't a professional ballerina so there wouldn't be any disparity between the two actresses on the dancing level. Just look at the movie Black Swan, which was already mentioned here,  where they cast Mila Kunis opposite Natalie Portman, not a professional ballerina so both actresses would look believable and credible on screen when they combined they performances with those of their "ballet" doubles. Once again, there is no doubt that SHS is the better actress and that the ballet part is not the main point of the drama, it's the human story, which is why I said that this is but a mere, barely noticeable issue I have with the show. It's merely something I noticed and then also my roommate, who isn't really interested in kdramas that much, when I showed her the first episode. That's why I decided to write about it. It's an observation and I think it's always good to look at a drama with a critical eye no matter how much you love it or the actors in it. And I think my love and admiration for the writer, cast and crew have been apparent. I also believe that one should give praise where it's deserved and KBM's dancing prowess is definitely the case, just as is SHS's acting performance.

P.S: @Ni Wen I'm not a moderator, but please be careful not to quote images (it is against the Soompi rules) because I think a moderator will eventually notice and edit your post.  :)

I dont know if its just me, but Dan looked so handsome 

while cleaning the yard in the rain. :wub:

I understood that Dan wanted to give that bouquet to YS, like

how she would get flowers when dancing on the stage.

Nice. 

8 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

I dont know if its just me, but Dan looked so handsome 

while cleaning the yard in the rain. :wub:

I understood that Dan wanted to give that bouquet to YS, like

how she would get flowers when dancing on the stage.

Nice. 

He looked handsome and I don’t know why I find his fast dialogue delivery and expressions charming. :lol:

Kim Bo Mi's BTS photos from her agency. I think that the images really show that she is a professional ballet dancer:

FwmzlpB.jpgn6g0hBp.jpg

Spoiler

5jE8Nd4.jpgqJgCG1L.jpg15CCMNW.jpgu3EWfcI.jpgCgpqNf5.jpg6MFzo4i.jpgBfSQvUG.jpgF88Xsct.jpgu7NItHj.jpgxnlrwTj.jpgoyNl8d6.jpgTUGo6q1.jpgJTcFlYp.jpg6D7YUJR.jpgi6wjEwv.jpgvavuhOe.jpg7Mi4kK0.jpgK95DYas.jpgyomRxKt.jpgsdbxmR4.jpga6o8jRe.jpg6D0nmgj.jpgn6g0hBp.jpgGc0Kved.jpgdJha1KV.jpg9PS8URV.jpgLwZTCyz.jpgDcLGm2U.jpgPz9xlwb.jpgS2u0BJS.jpgzQWNNGM.jpg

Source: Fly Up Entertainment

This is the chief ballet coach of the drama, she also coached SHS:

Ok I faithfully read thru all the back posts and I must say you all are so smart with your analyses. Meanwhile I'm just sitting here thinking, gosh the drama looks so beautiful cinematography wise, and the angel is so cute. Lol. 

In regards to the debate on NiNa's casting...I'm actually starting to think she's supposed to be a better dancer. Maybe even by the end of the show she's supposed to be a better dancer. Do we know their ages in the show? Maybe we will see that YS once was the main star but now she's passing the torch to NiNa? But we'll still see YS give the ballet one final grande performance? I dunno just a thought. Also speaking of NiNa, I don't mind her character at the moment other than being naive, and I hope she doesn't turn evil unless she turns evil against her mother and sister. 

Some thoughts on Angel Dan...so we know Angel Dan had almost made his way into heaven but now because of his intervening with fate, he has this one last mission. So are we to believe that *no one* goes to heaven until they've been angels and performed missions on Earth? Or is Angel Dan special...like he wasn't such a great human so he had to perform these tasks before being let in to heaven? Though I don't see how he could have been a bad person...he seems like an innocent child in the flashbacks we've had. So why didn't he get to go straight to heaven (unless it's because of what I mentioned, that no one gets to go straight there after death). I'm also still so curious why he's an adult if he passed during childhood! Also, will he still be an angel after he gets into heaven? So many questions! I hope it's all thoroughly explained. 

But I know I can rely on this thread for great explanations and theories. I cannot believe we're only 2 episodes in and y'all have done so much already. 

On a side note and not very interesting nor relevant but ill share anyways...but today is holiday so instead of work I babysit my friend's hyper as can be 5 year old child. After playing about 2 hours I told her let's rest and I turned YouTube on the tv and found a performance of swan lake. Now the performance was 2 hrs so of course she couldn't sit for the entirety but we watched prob about 45 mins and both enjoyed it. I think will finish it when I have time this week. Love Tchaikovsky and the ballet. 

Adding FMV I found on YT...

One more...

@turtlegirl I was thinking something along the lines as well.

I’m really bad at predicting, plus opposite of what I was thinking is happening anyway... But I got this feeling ... it’s almost like his senior ... I forgot his name ... And Deity ... wants to keep Dan on Earth and busy distracting him with missions and what not! I’m probably thinking this way cause I want human Dan in the end!! :lol:

Archived