[Variety 2019] Coffee Friends 커피프렌즈

Dishwasher Jo posted on his IG photos of the coffee truck sent to him by Boss Yoo. :D His drama SKY Castle is currently on air and doing extremely well. He's probably not able to help the COFFEE FRIENDS for awhile (i.e the January filming?) but hopefully he would be able to make it, at least for the final episode(s).. perhaps? Sky Castle ends on February 1 but by then the filming would have already finished and the cast & crew would be going to Phuket for their high-ratings reward trip.

Photos: Jo Jae Yun, English translation by YeoNiverse cuppa.gif

January 20, 2019

COFFEE FRIENDS: Jo Jae Yoon switches his dishwashing role with friendly Yang Se Jong

0000467347_001_20190118215130297.jpg?type=w540

Article: Naver 'Coffee Friends' Jo Jae Yoon passes the dishwashing 'baton' over to friendly Yang Se Jong

Translated by melohwa cuppa.gif

1. [+224,-1]
He's warm even when he does dishwashing. Jae Yoon-ssi does well with dishwashing. Ho Joon and Se Jong are cute. 

2. [+119,-3]
It would be good if they keep doing Coffee Friends. With the same members. 

3. [+74,-2]

Taking orders, making food, serving... They are just simple scenes, but why does my heart feel warm? ^^ 

4. [+58,-6]
Yang Se Jong fighting. 

5. [+54,-4]
Everyone, please pay them lots when you go there. A brunch meal would cost 15,000 won, and hand-drip coffee more than 8,000 won. They ordered so much food when the prices aren't fixed. They kept ordering drinks too. 

6. [+25,-0]
They are friendly and kind.. That's why they could think and care for each other~~ 

7. [+25,-1]
There is a hand drip grinder, do they want Son Ho Jun to break his shoulders by making him do grind that on  his own? PD-nim, you should try grinding that a few times. It's not like you're making a cup of coffee at home, grinding that with your own hands in a café... I'm speechless. 

8. [+25,-2]
I'm a fan of Yang Se Jong!!!! He's too cute. 

9. [+17,-0]
I really like Jo Jae Yoon-nim. Thanks to Coffee Friends, I got to know of a new charm in him. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Boss Yoo has really picked a great part timer. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

10. [+14,-2]
There's nothing Yoo Yeon Suk can't do. 

• Like 1

January 26, 2019

TVXQ’s Yunho Puts His Famous Passion To Good Use On “Coffee Friends”

Source: Soompi by E. Kim

TVXQâs Yunho Puts His Famous Passion To Good Use On âCoffee Friendsâ

On the January 25 episode of tvN’s “Coffee Friends,” the cast hired TVXQ’s Yunho to be their new part-time employee.

“Coffee Friends” is a show that features Son Ho Jun and Yoo Yeon Seok running a cafe for charity on Jeju Island. They invite their friends to come help out part time.

As the cafe got more busy in the latest episode, Son Ho Jun called his best friend Yunho to become their new part-time employee. Due to his busy schedule, Yunho could not make it for their opening day, but later on with one phone call, he came right away to Jeju Island. The members cheered as soon as Yunho walked into the cafe.

yunho-2.png

As if all they were doing was waiting for him, they handed him an apron as soon as he came in. Jo Jae Yoon also cheerfully handed over some rubber gloves, passing over to Yunho the duty of washing the endless dishes.

Yunho seemed shocked to know that he was in charge of washing the dishes. Yoo Yeon Seok tried to console him. He said, “You have to think of it as a process”, and Son Ho Jun jokingly suggested, “After you eat, take a stroll outside. It’s the last time you’ll see it.”

However, Yunho quickly regained motivation as he fired up his famous passion. He said, “I’ll wash the dishes as fast as possible, like the speed of light.” Yunho’s passion proved to work, with the all the dishes cleaned in moments. Aside from being a good worker, Yunho showed that he’s a good listener, following orders to go greet all the customers in his spare time.

“Coffee Friends” airs on Fridays at 9:10 p.m. KST.

Source (1)

• Like 1

This series fills the space left by Youn's Kitchen. I was really hoping there'd by a season 3 of Youn's Kitchen in the latter part of 2018 but no. I also just finished watching Eun Joo's room, without the subs, and I was really sad that it ended. I'm so glad I discovered this right away. I love everything that's happening in this series.

How many episodes in all will this series be? 10? Or less?

• Like 2

Hi @lollyminx I think there will still be Youn's Kitchen 3.. just not yet as the key persons like LSJ and JYM have been tied up in other projects instead. Hopefully, tvN will continue with the program in another location but till then, it's indeed a great timing to have Coffee Friends on air. 

Probably it'll be 10 episodes (+ 1 director's cut), just like Youn's Kitchen but we certainly won't mind if there's more. :lol: It's already the 4th episode.. all filmed in December 2018 plus the upcoming ones. From the earlier conversation, they're back in Jeju in January for selected dates and there'll be other "part-time worker/guests" coming in as well.

The Energizer Dishwasher Jo :P and as always, Jiwoo would be feeding others with sweets and chocs, just like in GOF.

Edit: Come to think of it.. looks like CJW gave JJY a super-vitamin LOL

coffee_4_1.gif

Phew! It's Sold-out Stew smiley-face-cooking.gif

coffee_4_3.gif

Meet the Bread Boys th_note.gif

coffee_4_4.gif

• LOL 2

50 minutes ago, rubie said:

Hi @lollyminx I think there will still be Youn's Kitchen 3.. just not yet as the key persons like LSJ and JYM have been tied up in other projects instead. Hopefully, tvN will continue with the program in another location but till then, it's indeed a great timing to have Coffee Friends on air. 

Probably it'll be 10 episodes (+ 1 director's cut), just like Youn's Kitchen but we certainly won't mind if there's more. :lol: It's already the 4th episode.. all filmed in December 2018 plus the upcoming ones. From the earlier conversation, they're back in Jeju in January for selected dates and there'll be other "part-time worker/guests" coming in as well.

The Energizer Dishwasher Jo :P and as always, Jiwoo would be feeding others with sweets and chocs, just like in GOF.

Phew! It's Sold-out Stew smiley-face-cooking.gif

Meet the Bread Boys th_note.gif

I just hope Youn's Kitchen 3 returns with the same staff because LSJ has really great work ethic in Youn's Kitchen 2. Also, JYM's energy is one of the charms of the series.

Hahaha the bread boys! I was laughing so hard when SHJ called his bread pretty after brushing butter on them, like they're his children. Also, YSJ!!! OMG!!! Been obsessed with him since Thirty but Seventeen. I love it when he talks to himself and tries to cheer himself up. LOL

It's also funny when they assign the dishwasher job to the new guy. I thought they're going to let Jo (it feels weird watching him be himself when I remember so many creepy roles he did, like the cult person in Save Me *shudders*) do it all the time, but then he found his place by the door selling tangerines. The sneak peek shows that Yun-ho will do a better job tho. Hah!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, triplem said:

YSJ is such a hard worker and has great attitude. He's a very fast learner. Love how calm he is. 

I started watching this because of the friendship between SHJ and YYS ( love them both) ...there is really nothing that YYS cannot do...he is very enterprising. He has his own bar in Itaewon , and that  experience in running F&B shows. 

Right??? He's like "Focus, YSJ. Focus." :D And he knows to switch places with JJY in washing dishes, and takes care of the older guys.

Lucky people who get to see YYS at his bar. So funny when SHJ asked if he should run a bakery since his bread come out so well. Then YYS said he wants to do it with SHJ as co-owner. LOL

Can't wait for the next ep. I'm in a drama slump. Nothing has caught my attention yet! OMG

• Like 2

Found a previous update ~

January 3, 2019

Yoo Yeon-seok Has a Stacked Schedule in 2019

Source: StarNews via HanCinema.net

Yoo Yeon-seok is going to be hard at work in 2019.

He is starring in the tvN TV show "Coffee Friends", which is a funation project he's on with Son Ho-jun, to run a café in a tangerine farm in Jeju Island that donates all of their profits.

'Funation' means 'fun' and 'donation'. The purpose of "Coffee Friends" is that you can start donating all for the price of a drink and this has in fact engaged many people into participating, hence the production of the TV show.

Yang Se-jong has been on the show since the first filming and other guest appearances will be made by Jo Jae-yoon, Yunho, and Baro.

Yoo Yeon-seok recently starred in the tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine" as Goo Dong-mae, a character abandoned by Joseon, but who returns and spends his life and youth helping his beloved Ko Ae-sin.

Yoo Yeon-seok has been starring in the musical "Gentleman's Guide: Love and Murder" as Monti Navaro at Hongdae University since November. Monti Navaro is the leading character with fancy looks and wit.

Yoo Yeon-seok has been busy since last year and he plans to keep it that way this year.

Meanwhile, "Coffee Friends" begin on the 4th at 9:10 PM KST.

• Like 2

Ok what should I do to get a part time job at this cafe?!? I think I can watch Ho Joon making hand drip coffee, YYS making toasts and YSJ washing dishes all day long and never get bored. Also I can never understand how these people can stay calm and eat their food after seeing all these three in one place. I would've fainted. LOL. That baby in the first ep would be me. Haha. 

Ok fangirling aside, this show is really nice and relaxing. I like it a lot. I heard NJH will also appear as a part timer, can't wait for him. 

• LOL 2

February 3, 2019

February Variety Show Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

Source: Soompi by S. Park

The Korean Business Research Institute has released the brand reputation rankings for variety shows for February 2019.

The rankings are a result of big data analysis that measures consumer participation, interaction, media coverage, community awareness, and viewership indexes of 50 variety shows from January 1 to February 2.

MBC’s “I Live Alone” topped the list for the second consecutive month with a total score of 11,621,311. High-ranking terms in the program’s keyword analysis included “love,” “perfect,” “successful” and high-ranking phrases included “[EXO’s] Xiumin,” “[TVXQ’s] Changmin,” and “Kian 84.” The show also recorded 73.09 percent positive in the positive-negative ratio analysis.

TV Chosun’s “Taste of Dating” came in second place with a total score of 8,512,248, and SBS’s “My Ugly Duckling” took third place with a brand reputation index of 8,400,632.

201902021246773930_5c5513240dbcc.jpg

Check out the top 20 shows below!

1. “I Live Alone”
2. “Taste of Dating”
3. “My Ugly Duckling”
4. “Ask Us Anything”
5. “Radio Star”
6. “Coffee Friends”
7. “Happy Together”
8. “Wife’s Taste”
9. “Running Man”
10. “Baek Jong Won’s Alley Restaurant”
11. “I Can See Your Voice”
12. “The King of Mask Singer”
13. “Same Bed, Different Dreams”
14. “The Return of Superman”
15. “The Fan”
16. “The Manager”
17. “Law of the Jungle”
18. “Life Bar”
19. “Somebody”
20. “Master in the House”

Source (1)

February 2, 2019

Choi Ji Woo's healing smile and care cuppa.gif

The all rounder hall manager in COFFEE FRIENDS

Source: Xportsnews // OSEN

1549074991080598.jpg

• Like 1

Haven't found the 2/8 preview clip on YT but looks like chef Baek Jong Won will be their second part-timer next week. The production probably asked him to join (doesn't look like the younger cast would be calling him instead) as the much-needed helper. It's going to be interesting as he has to start with the dish-washing as well. washing-dishes.gif

It appeared like there's going to be reminiscence of Youn's Kitchen in the coming episodes.. I think they're opening at night for dinner (special time?) and adding more menus like noodles/pasta, fried chicken etc. 

02_525797_54251.jpg

Source: Asiae / MBN

기ì¬ì 0ë²ì§¸ ì´ë¯¸ì§ 

• Love 1

This show is absolutely adorable. I have a soft spot for Son Ho Jun ever sincw Reply 1994.

Seeing him with bestie YYS together is just heartwarming. And he is now more matured in variety shows. I still remember how he was shell shocked and awkward in youth over flowers and also his 1st stint in 3 meals a day. He was so starstrucked to see CJW :lol:

Everyone in coffee friends is nice and passionate. Its really an easy and calming watch. I hope more friends get dragged to join their good cause hehe.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, triplem said:

Waiting for Viu Malaysia to upload this...but the response to Yun Ho is eps 5 was great. @rubie Any idea when Nam Joo Hyuk will appear and who are the other guests ?

I think NJH would be the next part-time worker/guest after Baro and Baek Jong Won.. episode 7 or 8, perhaps?

Who knows.. there could be other surprise guests (like Baek Jong Won) that the Coffee Friends cast and viewers may not expect at all. ^_^

From this article

On January 16, the tvN show told Newsen, “Nam Joo Hyuk worked together with us on January 15 as a new part-time worker, after being invited by Son Ho Jun.”

They invite their friends to come help out as part-time employees, and their guest list includes Choi Ji Woo, Yang Se Jong, Jo Jae Yoon, TVXQ’s Yunho, and EXO’s Sehun.

This article (tentative guests if their schedules matched)

Yoo Yeon Seok shared, “For the donation project, beginning with Baro, others such as Yunho, Lee Kwang Soo, Sandara Park, and Yoo Byung Jae participated.

• Like 1

I am like Yuhno : I prefer to wash dishes without gloves, even though that's not good for the hands...

I know it's for fun, but I see some customers overpacking the boxes of tangerines, with two layers of fruits and additional ones in their pockets. I hope they do appreciate all the staff's efforts and work and remember this is all for a good cause/charity...

Episode 5 was fun but  I wonder if there weren't too many part timers at once. It would have been good if YYS had some help cooking the toasts dishes.

I'm not sure about having a professional chef as a guest. On one hand, it might be entertaining. On the hand, it might just be additional pressure to YYS to cook well and quickly. I know I'd be a bit intimidated! But from the preview, it seems it'll work out. I can't wait to watch that episode !

• Like 3

Is food in korea really cheap? I went to korea before and felt the food in restaurants/cafes were quite expensive. Huhu

I'm curious how Coffee Friends (cafe) can sustain in the long run (the original coffee truck i think can be sustained since they only serve drinks). But for the cafe, it seems to me, that the donations is not as much compared to what they are serving.

In ep 4 they served 26 tables and 65 customers and sold trays of tangerines. They got around 1300 dollars. By rough calculation, each table paid approximately 50 dollars (assuming each table ordered a minimum 2 drinks and one toast and one tray of oranges- which we know is not the case, as some ordered multiple toasts, drinks, stew etc2). 

I think the customers need to pay more for what they order. Eventhough its for charity, and no price is stated on the menu, they should pay a more suitable amount just like in other cafes.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

I love coffee, I love tea 
I love the java jive and it loves me 
coffee and tea and the jiving and me 
a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup!

just like that song I love coffee, I love tea. Please I want a cup from oppa~:lol:

The people seem so warm I think I will like this show for a long time, it just heartwarming:)

btw this makes me want to rewatch Coffee Prince huahaha

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, bairama said:

I love coffee, I love tea 
I love the java jive and it loves me 
coffee and tea and the jiving and me 
a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup!

just ike that song I love coffee, I love tea. Please I want a cup from oppa~:lol:

The people seem so warm I think I will like this show for a long time, it just heartwarming:)

btw this makes me want to rewatch Coffee Prince huahaha

They should use that song for the show, when SHJ is making his cups of coffee!

Edited by triplem
Pls don’t quote images including videos .
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

The preview for the 2/8 episode feat. a segment of BJW as the 'latest part-timer'

It's nice to see the cast learning new skills from each other..coffee_machine.gif

CJW and YSJ getting first-hand lesson from SHJ to handle the coffee machine. It helps get things moving when they have a lot of customers coming in. 

I also feel that the donation is not as much as the effort and expenses in preparing the food & coffee. Even though the funation amount increases each day so does their production cost. Every time after counting the daily donation, YYS and SHJ kept mentioning that they need to add more variety in the menu in order to increase the donation amount. Don't they have to 'compensate' the owner of the tangerine orchard as well? Unless it's sponsored for tourism purposes or tvN had rented the entire farm & fruit for the show.

Perhaps, it's better if they set the price beforehand (with all profits going to charity, of course), probably a bit less to attract customers and then put the donation boxes out for them to add more if they want to. However, Coffee Friends are not setting any amount for the donation they wish to achieve but simply hoping the customers will enjoy the coffee & food and donate as much as they like.

Despite the very tiring hours standing plus rushing around and not getting a break to serve the never-ending string of customers, for sure the cast enjoyed every moment of their time in Jeju. It would great if they could accumulate even more $ for the good cause and intention of Coffee Friends. Perhaps, they'll go on until episode 10 or 11 before wrapping up as everyone will have other work commitment.

Once again, the (food) variety show featuring the celebrities running a kitchen or a restaurant or a cafe or a farm or simply having 3 meals a day becomes a huge hit for good reason.. a cozy, yummy and healing comfort entertainment. :lol:

• Like 6

I agree with previous posters. I'm sure the production/TV company is helping with the expenses (ingredients, rental, etc), and all donations would strictly be for charity. If not, I doubt we would have any money left to donate, after covering all expenses... And we would not have a show...

I'm thinking they should include an introduction to the charity(ies) for the customers to read on the menu or on the table. Not only it might interest the customers, but it might encourage them to be fair/donate more, or even for them to discover/learn more about the organizations and causes.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1