Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Dear Citizens, 국민 여러분

9 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@Lmangla, that ex-boyfriend is something else. I couldn’t believe how easily he turned himself into the victim by using her job as a cop against her. :blink: I’m not sure about my feelings on this drama yet (I usually don’t like con artist stories) but so far I do really like the OTP and the other characters I have seen so far so I’m willing to continue on.

so do understand that when it comes to cheating, people can have strong views but let me try and explain why rather than being angry, felt sad for both mi young as well as the ex-boyfriend.

so there are cases when cheating is the cause and there are cases where cheating is simply a symptom. when it is a symptom, cheating is simply the last step in the relationship break and actually there are lots of other underlying issues. and if the actual issues are dealt with, then sometimes, the relationship is able to mend as cheating is only a symptom. hope that makes sense...

so here, the actual issue was that the ex found it very difficult to handle her job -- he found himself unable to cope with the stress of being left behind and worrying for her. so rather than turning himself into a victim, it felt like more like him finally telling her that the relationship was failing because he was finding it too much to cope. honestly, felt bad for him as well as her when he was sharing his worries -- it takes a special kind of spouse/partner to handle that kind of worries day in and day out and it explains why folks in these kind of tough professions often struggle with their family life. no one asks the spouses how they feel but they too must find it tough no?

however, like mi young said, he should have talked to her and discussed these issues rather than trying to seek physical comfort elsewhere as a coping mechanism. but because cheating is a symptom, could understand why mi young chose to hide her job from jung kook. normally, this kind of deceptive start would annoy and frustrate me but here, it was easy to understand mi young's motivations.

so what does mi young do? she dusts off her makeup which she hasn't worn in ages, puts on a dress and goes out clubbing. it almost felt like mi young was trying to feel pretty again, something far different from her cop side. mi young is in a job that is not really ideal for a typical marriage but she is at an age and stage of life where she wants to get married. so, she hides it from jung kook because she is afraid that he would run. 

her ex raised several points which frankly are issues that women do face -- so she is in a profession that is male dominated and it is the type of profession that many men find it difficult to handle for a variety of reasons. know this girl who is an air force pilot and she shared once that it was difficult to date civilians because they simply cannot handle such pressure. so women officers usually end up dating a fellow officer....

what was interesting is that jung kook is actually in some ways the ideal guy for her. the first time he sees her, she is fighting and he is totally transfixed and attracted. he asks her to have a drink rather than running... and while he is stressed that she may find out about his actual job, in other ways, he is perfect to deal with that kind of stress a spouse of a cop would feel because he is also in that kind of field where there are lots of risks...felt sorry for jung kook also. somehow the idea of him being conned by his ex when his feelings were genuine seemed kind of sad rather than funny.

anyway, the premise is supposed to be funny but was kind of confused because it just made me feel sad instead. it is really about two people who wish for love and marriage but their professions means they are more likely to end up alone. so I like the OTP and hope they both find happiness but how will it happen? maybe that curiousity will be enough to make me keep watching...

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

@Lmangla, indeed I felt sad and amused when MY’s ex was justifying himself to her for his cheating. I also felt those two emotions when MY confessed her occupation to JK. Actually, his reaction made me laugh out loud even though it was pretty sad that she felt compelled to hide it from him. He was obviously shocked when he told her she could have confessed when they were dating or even during the preparations for their marriage. His father and sister also, in a comical way, seem dissatisfied with a cop as a daughter-in-law and sister-in-law. :lol: I guess MY’s mom will get her turn if and when she finds out her son-in-law is a conman. 

• Like 5

I liked the set up in the first 4 episodes, and I can see what everyone's motivations may be, as well as what they may become. JK who was raised to be a con artist by his father who sincerely believes that it's the best life is being forced to re-examine his own life through some practical considerations, i.e. becoming famous and thus making it hard for him to run scams in order to make a living, but also some philosophical ones such as loving a woman who happens to be a cop. It's clear that he's already struggling with the way he's lived his life in the past, but I think that it will become a deeper examination over the course of his drama on what he really believes is right and wrong.

MY, on the other hand, seems very straight forward to me. She's a righteous cop but also has a taste for the adrenaline rush that comes of fighting bad guys and putting them in prison. She's possibly a little too black and white in her viewpoints and may come to soften up a little as she confronts more extenuating circumstances. Btw, I think her ex-bf is a total snake for trying to push blame on her for his philandering. Sorry @Lmangla, but I didn't have any sympathy for his sniveling. I dislike people who blame others for their own failings.

As for HJ, she's kind of scary, but her logic is also infallible which makes her smart and kind of cool. She took over her father's business, and she sees that the old paradigms don't work any more, so she's going to change things and has grabbed power for herself. She wants an assemblyman who will push the legislation that she wants and that she can control, and when she can't find one, she's going to create one from JK who has become a national hero.

So, the real question for me is whether HJ is the evil in this drama as she is currently presented to be, or whether JK, MY, and HJ may end up banding together to fight the real evil of entrenched nepotism and corruption in politics. Anyway, it's interesting enough that I'll keep watching.

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

so here, the actual issue was that the ex found it very difficult to handle her job -- he found himself unable to cope with the stress of being left behind and worrying for her. so rather than turning himself into a victim, it felt like more like him finally telling her that the relationship was failing because he was finding it too much to cope. honestly, felt bad for him as well as her when he was sharing his worries -- it takes a special kind of spouse/partner to handle that kind of worries day in and day out and it explains why folks in these kind of tough professions often struggle with their family life. no one asks the spouses how they feel but they too must find it tough no?

I understand your point, but that isn't the way MY's ex-bf came across to me. He came across as a sniveling snake who when straight up denial and then saying that he could explain and it wasn't what she thought it was didn't work, then in turn, attacked her instead. He came across as someone who wouldn't accept his own failings and had to blame them on her instead. I know too many people who do that, and while the explanation may sound plausible on the surface, it's really just a character flaw that they have to find a reason why it's not their fault.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

kekeke... no worries @stroppyse ~ we are allowed to have different opinions. :D but yea, this drama was a tad confusing for me because I didn't react the way I usually do! hahhaha... but siwon actually looks really like an adult now and it brings out the aunty in me thinking "omo when did he grow up so fast?!" hahahhaha... :sweatingbullets:

12 hours ago, stroppyse said:

As for HJ, she's kind of scary, but her logic is also infallible which makes her smart and kind of cool. She took over her father's business, and she sees that the old paradigms don't work any more, so she's going to change things and has grabbed power for herself. She wants an assemblyman who will push the legislation that she wants and that she can control, and when she can't find one, she's going to create one from JK who has become a national hero.

watched a little bit of ep 3 but was having problem loading and was so confused by this chick. she comes across like a serial killer kind of scary where one can't really argue with her logic. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Tonight is going to be fun. He’s gonna be “recruited “ to run for assembly ! :lol: Lots of epic car chases too 

the main cast is doing a second v live tonight 

fan cam spotted SW filming

Spoiler

• Like 2

I just finished watching last week's episode... It's pretty fun, although not impressive fun yet.

Really love their dating period, so sweeeeet.... and really sad for them how they've grown apart after the two years jump :( 

They still love each other for sure, interestingly.... From the preview we can see that one of the reasons JK will agree to run for the assembly is because MY's life/safety is at stake.

So I guess it's okay to assume all the fun teasers (of them hiding their true identities) we've seen so far will not happen in the show ya? Because I didn't expect that MY will tell him her job so early on their wedding day. I was under the impression they're going to live out their hidden identity life for a while as a married couple.

• Like 3

I managed to watch some raw cuts on IG late last night before falling asleep . Age is catching up :lol: . But it really does reinforce the fact that the OTP loves each other . But they are both aware that the marriage is far from great & they had a heart to heart talk at the very first restaurant they went together.

Halfway way through, JK went out to get something and was abducted. It’s true @ktcjdrama , the only reason he agreed to run for the elections was because they threatened MY’s life .

They even send the thugs to beat her up , but they were no match for her . But she did get injured & had to be treated at the hospital.  This was quite sad ..he rushed to the hospital after he was released. But it feels like further damage to their relationship 

• Like 2

A very nice article by Forbes about CSW & the drama 

Tonight’s highlight was Him discovering that she’s not doing a desk job but is back on the field :sweatingbullets:

Stills from tonight 

• Like 3

@triplem, thanks for the article about CSW. I didn't realize that he was an actor before he joined SuJu since I've only known him from his SuJu days

Spoiler

The thing is, though, that his first role as a lead (in Oh My Lady), he was pretty bad in it. He plays an idol who finds he has a baby daughter from an ex-gf who abandons her to him, and he has to learn to cope with the baby with the help of his housekeeper/love interest, while learning how to really sing.

While I was watching it, I cut him some slack because I thought he was an idol turned actor, and thought his performance was pretty good for an idol. However, knowing now that he was actually an actor first, I find myself cringing at his acting in that drama really hard.

Anyway, his more recent drama forays have been much better. I liked his character best in She Is Pretty, and I really enjoyed Revolutionary Love.  And, so far, I like his character in this drama.

I haven't watched the most recent episode yet, but I think it's starting to gel. The main crux of this drama is still that JK and MY aren't completely honest with each other. I'm looking forward to when they actually not only find out the truth about each other, but are to appreciate each other's strengths and weaknesses. For instance, I found it a bit sad, even though it's supposed to be funny as well as move the plot along, that JK is convinced so easily that HJ's henchmen are about to kill MY and agrees to do whatever HJ wants when in reality, MY has fought off all the henchmen and then some.

17 hours ago, triplem said:

But it really does reinforce the fact that the OTP loves each other . But they are both aware that the marriage is far from great & they had a heart to heart talk at the very first restaurant they went together.

I agree that the OTP really love each other, but they are still far from being truthful with each other. And, actually, in this scene you mention with a heart to heart, it's actually MY who tells JK that they have to talk and reminds him of how they had promised to make each other feel better and even gotten married because they felt so close together. However, lately rather than feeling that they are close and being comforted by him, it felt as if she's just a bother to him. JK is actually somewhat taken off guard, not because he doesn't recognize what's happening between them, but because he's not ready to talk about it. So, all that JK does is apologize repeatedly, but MY thinks that feels insincere as well, that he's just apologizing to get her to nagging him already.

So, ultimately, MY tells JK to leave since she would rather drink alone. JK, in a fit of pique at MY's dismissal as well as because he's feeling a little lost himself, leaves MY at the restaurant. Outside, though, looking at MY's back, JK has a change of heart and wants to go back inside to speak with her again, but is kidnapped just then by HJ's henchmen.

And, yes, HJ ultimately got JK to agree to run for the National Assembly in exchange for leaving MY alone. As I mentioned before in this post, I found this part a bit sad as well as funny.

17 hours ago, triplem said:

They even send the thugs to beat her up , but they were no match for her . But she did get injured & had to be treated at the hospital.  This was quite sad ..he rushed to the hospital after he was released. But it feels like further damage to their relationship 

It's because their relationship wasn't close, and their scene at the restaurant and then the subsequent kidnapping/threatening of MY has driven them further apart. MY, who doesn't realize that her recent beatdown attempt was related to JK, doesn't want JK to see her in her bruised state, thinking that it's her job as a police officer that has led to the attack. So, she doesn't want him to see her in case he becomes concerned about her job and decides that he doesn't want to be in a relationship with a police officer who gets into violent confrontations. That's why she doesn't even want him to draw the curtain away from the bed so that he can see her. And, JK can't tell her that he feels responsible for MY getting attacked since he hasn't told her that he's actually a scam artist who is being harassed by a loan shark who wants to control him.

I hope eps 7 and 8 bring the OTP a bit more honesty from each other so that they can at least band up together and be supportive rather than suffering alone.

Btw, I did want to say that I think CSW and LYY are both really lovely in their roles. They're comedic roles in a comedy, and yet they both bring a certain vulnerability to their roles that give their characters extra depth and warmth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Episode 7 and 8 didn't bring the additional honesty that I hoped for between the OTP, but it was actually a really good and fun episode. Thoughts on the episode in the spoiler, because there are major spoilers. It's nothing but spoilers.

Spoiler

The key plotline for ep 7 and 8 seems to be JK having agreed to run for the National Assembly, HK wants to bring in a political fixer, Kim Joo Myung, to act as JK's manager.  KJM himself seems to have been an Assemblyman, but seems to have stepped down due to some corruption scandals, and works behind the scenes now. HJ tells JK to do whatever it takes to bring KJM onboard since he's a seasoned veteran with a proven track record of getting candidates elected.

JK prepares for his meeting with KJM with his made up resume of having graduated from Seoul University and being the Brave Citizen, however, KJM is wily and skeptical of JK, laying trap after trap for JK. JK finally confesses that he's a professional scam artist, and that he's running for the Assembly because HJ has threatened his life and his wife's live if he didn't. KJM finds JK refreshing, but says he can't support him since putting a scam artist in the Assembly isn't doing the right thing to the citizenry. JK immediately responds that he has a conscience whereas when KJM and the other Assemblymen are pulling off their various corruptions, did they even think about the citizenry at all. JK says that KJM shouldn't be asking whether JK has the right background to serve in the Assembly, but whether JK is capable or not.

KJM responds that, in that case, he needs to see proof of JK's abilities. KJM has a building that has only 1 tenant in it since the area that it's in has become somewhat derelict and abandoned. He wants JK to sell it for way above its market price, in effect, scam someone into paying too much for it.

JK ultimately takes up the challenge, prices the building at $4 million and offering a real estate agent a commision of $100,000 in order to list it, and then stages it with his team to make it seem as if there is a thriving hang out bar in the building as they show it to prospective buyers. All of the buyers, however, want a discount on the price or want a lot more time, e.g. a month or longer, to think about it or to discuss with their family or advisors, so none are willing to purchase it.

Ultimately, there is 1 older couple who want to buy the building. They just won some money in the lottery, and think that by buying the building, it will provide them with a steady income. Because they're such newbies at properties, they don't realize that the building isn't in great shape or the neighborhood is all that great either, and are enthusiastic. 

In the meantime, MY has caught wind that there may be a fraudulent scheme going on with that building due to reports of unusual activity. She and team find out that the building has something to do with HJ, who MY has realized has something to do with the attack on her person.

MY catches up with the buyer couple as they're leaving, and pretending that she had wanted to buy the building also, gets some information from the couple in terms of when the paper signing will be. However, JK who is already having second thoughts about selling to the couple, runs after the couple, only to see MY approach them and speak with them.

JK then MY, asking where she is, only for MY to lie to him that she's still just working. JK then calls MY's office, and finds out that she had transferred back to the crimes investigation division.  Later on, JK asks MY about the transfer, and whether it's dangerous for her, but MY says that it's mostly looking into white collar crimes and so it shouldn't be dangerous.

On the day of the signing, the buyer man is supposed to meet JK, but MY and her team are tailing him, so the man is led by phone by JK into walking in a twisty path, then being driven by JK's associate, and then finally has him go down to the subway; all the while MY and her team are following him.

MY finally catches up with the buyer man in the subway, and pretending that they've just run into each other again, asks him whether the signing was successful. The man says yes it was, that they had actually signed papers the evening before. MY asks why he's meeting with them today then, and the man tells MY this story. He had gotten a call from the seller saying that there was a problem with the signatures, so the paperwork needed to be done again. However, the papers are ultimately snatched from his arms while in the subway, and he got a call from the seller instead who told him that he had changed his mind about selling the building to him at the price they agreed on. The seller had demanded another $1 million, and when the man had said he didn't have that, the seller had rudely asked him why he thought he could buy a building when he had so little money. The seller had yelled at him to put his money in the bank instead.

It turned out that after they had signed  the papers, JK, who was already feeling twinges of guilt, had told them that he hopes they make a lot of money, and they should also raise the rents in that building. The couple had responded that they weren't ever going to raise the rents since they know how hard it is to make a living. Rather, they just wanted just the income that the building was providing right then, and that would be enough for them. The woman adds that getting physically hit is something that they can heal from, but getting hit by money problems is something that never seems to heal, so they wanted to be fair to their tenants and give them a chance as well. This is what causes JK to decide to cancel the scam, but put the elaborate chase on since he had to get the papers back without MY figuring out that he was involved.

So, now MY is bemused after hearing the buyer man's story. Hopefully, this will soften her towards JK when she finds out that he is a professional con man, as she may find out in next week's episodes.

JK goes to HJ and KJM afterwards, and tells them that a man who is considering running for the National Assembly shouldn't be scamming people like the buyer couple, and rips the contract in front of them. JK says that he'll run for the Assembly alone without KJM's help instead, and despite HJ's threats, JK walks out.

It was a fun episode to watch. The little bits of OTP interaction, mainly on phones this time, was actually kind of cute. And, we see that JK despite being a 3rd generation con man does has a conscience. I get the sense that JK was having a fun time previously conning people out of money that he didn't feel much remorse for, because in some sense, it was their own greed that led them to falling for the con. This building con with a time limit, especially once it drew the interest of the police, doesn't seem like the usual con that JK and his team would do. It's not a smart play, for one, since it had drawn police interest, as JK himself tells HJ. But, the time limit also meant that they couldn't be all that choosy about their prey and had to take the first one who took the bait. However, I think being with MY is also causing him to reconsider his family business. JK can probably sense that he can't resolve his family profession with his love for MY and his desire to have a life with her.

JK is also a smart man, and in another family with other principles, he probably would have been fine going to university, getting a proper profession and career, and living a happy, upstanding life. The next episodes will show more interactions between JK and his father, which I'm looking forward to.

Whatever else, though, CSW is pretty amazing in this role. It feels like a bit of a bravura performance from him, as he ranges from physical comedy to finessing mind games, quick dialogue exchanges that are funny, witty, and acerbic, and then to scenes that display the vulnerability, uncertainty, and emotions of his character which are usually kept in check, but will peep through or burst through depending on the scene. I find myself watching this drama mostly for JK, despite having a good cast of characters otherwise. All that, plus a grin that can be cheeky and a bit goofy.

I'm actually hoping that MY comes more into play in future episodes. Her scenes away from JK hasn't had the same impact as JK's scenes as yet, though there is plenty there, especially in the complicated relationship with her mother who is also her commander.

LOL. Just realized that there isn't that much traffic in this thread since I just posted 2 lengthy posts about an hour or so apart. For anyone having to wade through my walls of texts, sorry. :D 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

any of the side characters make you laugh? show some love!

• Like 1

@stroppyse looks like it’s just me & you watching this show :joy:. Hopefully more folks will pick this up . 

The show is really starting to gel. The hook I was looking for came at the beginning of ep7 when JK had to meet the ex assemblyman who will act as his advisor ( provided Jk sells his building at 1.5 times tgr original purchase price ) . There’s a bit of a political satire here - especially when Jk likened the politicians to con men ( I cannot disagree :lol:) . In fact I like the set up of JK becoming a politician & this could very well become his real calling. I enjoy watching Chairman Park & her manipulative schemes & ideas . They did a good job casting KMY - she’s tiny but scary . 

What I like about JK is that he is not some heartless jerk . He does have some conscience & looks out for his own . After all there is honor among thieves - that sort of thing . And I do believe the previous real estate scam that failed was him hoping for a big windfall so that he could completely retire from this life 

The least interesting bit for me is the OTP Romance.  I’m having difficulty connecting with MY & at this point can’t seem to root for them to reunite . They obviously started out hiding the truth about each other’s profession , and even now they can’t be honest with each other . But I do enjoy watching the cat & mouse game they have to play. 

Anyway off to watch eps 8

BTS

Next week 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, triplem said:

@stroppyse looks like it’s just me & you watching this show :joy:. Hopefully more folks will pick this up . 

I think there are more people than just you and me watching this drama. It's just that we seem to be the only ones posting here about it. :D  That's okay, though, it would be more fun with more people watching and commenting here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@stroppyse and @triplem *wave* I'm watching too... but still playing catch up because was rather busy with RL for the past week.

Just finished ep.5-6... the hospital scene between the OTP is so sad... They clearly do love and care about each other but why are they restraining themselves from showing affections. Especially KMY, she wouldn't let him get near her.... could it be because she is still bothered by what her ex-boyfriend once said about worrying constantly for a partner who is a police? That's why she didn't want him to see her in injured state? I hope she caught his panic state before the curtain was pulled.

I laughed when HJ had to put on an act that she was still in control of MY's life... It was funny that her minions were not able to take MY down, and yet she had to use that as a chip to pressure JK into agreeing becoming her puppet.

Gotta admit I became a bit more excited about this show after seeing the actor who is the ex-assemblyman. It's the villain from

Spoiler

W and Alhambra!! :D

Is it weird if I'm shipping KMY's oppa to be with HJ? I thought they have good chemistry when they met. I want to see them hit something off somehow :P

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Is it weird if I'm shipping KMY's oppa to be with HJ? I thought they have good chemistry when they met. I want to see them hit something off somehow :P

Hmm, it didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it. I'll have to consider it some as I'm watching this to see if I can even see that ship boarding. :D

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

the hospital scene between the OTP is so sad... They clearly do love and care about each other but why are they restraining themselves from showing affections. Especially KMY, she wouldn't let him get near her.... could it be because she is still bothered by what her ex-boyfriend once said about worrying constantly for a partner who is a police? That's why she didn't want him to see her in injured state? I hope she caught his panic state before the curtain was pulled.

Yes, it's because MY didn't want JK to see her in her injured state in case he became overly distressed and/or didn't want to be with her, I think. I hope she caught his panic as well.

More importantly, I hope she remembers that JK let the old couple out of the scam completely, and gave them some sound advice about saving their money even, later when she discovers that JK is a con artist.

As for the ex-Assemblymen who was such a good villain in those previous dramas, Kim Eui Sung does rather make a good villain, doesn't he?

Anyway, welcome to the thread. I'm glad that you're watching this with us!  *waves back*

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

Yay @ktcjdrama . Glad you didn’t drop this. 

I just got off watching eps 8 . I love it especially the end when he decided not to scam the buyers & decides to go this alone - that was so good.  I have a feeling he’s gonna be a legit politician at the end of the day . 

What do you guys think of Tae In Ho’s character- MY’s bro ? I know we’ve not been shown much but it’s interesting that he too is running for the elections & seems very much an idealist. 

@stroppyse does the preview show that MY realises that JK is a con ? I didn’t quite get it even with the translations . 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, triplem said:

I have a feeling he’s gonna be a legit politician at the end of the day

That's what I'm hoping to happen too in the end, because that seems to be the only way our OTP can have their real married life. Surely our cop-lady will not want to be tied to a con-man. And all this while he's been feeling apologetic to her that he does not dare to face her. I want him to show her that he is worthy of her love. 

I do think she will eventually find out that he used to be a con-man, but because of his sincerity, she will be touched to accept him and overlook his past. (yes, I'm still not off TYH hahaha)

MY's bro, seems to be carrying a torch for her? I still have no idea if he will be a friend or foe for JK...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, triplem said:

@stroppyse does the preview show that MY realises that JK is a con ? I didn’t quite get it even with the translations . 

I think that the preview shows MY finding out that JK is involved in something shady. The little snippet seems to show her watching JK and being dismayed. Since MY had not had that much interest in JK's work previously, I think perhaps she runs across him while she's staking out HJ perhaps since HJ is on MY's radar now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1