[Drama 2019] Dear Citizens, 국민 여러분

0ly40

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very nice article by Forbes about CSW & the drama 

Tonight’s highlight was Him discovering that she’s not doing a desk job but is back on the field :sweatingbullets:

Stills from tonight 

@stroppyse looks like it’s just me & you watching this show :joy:. Hopefully more folks will pick this up . 

The show is really starting to gel. The hook I was looking for came at the beginning of ep7 when JK had to meet the ex assemblyman who will act as his advisor ( provided Jk sells his building at 1.5 times tgr original purchase price ) . There’s a bit of a political satire here - especially when Jk likened the politicians to con men ( I cannot disagree :lol:) . In fact I like the set up of JK becoming a politician & this could very well become his real calling. I enjoy watching Chairman Park & her manipulative schemes & ideas . They did a good job casting KMY - she’s tiny but scary . 

What I like about JK is that he is not some heartless jerk . He does have some conscience & looks out for his own . After all there is honor among thieves - that sort of thing . And I do believe the previous real estate scam that failed was him hoping for a big windfall so that he could completely retire from this life 

The least interesting bit for me is the OTP Romance.  I’m having difficulty connecting with MY & at this point can’t seem to root for them to reunite . They obviously started out hiding the truth about each other’s profession , and even now they can’t be honest with each other . But I do enjoy watching the cat & mouse game they have to play. 

Anyway off to watch eps 8

BTS

Next week 

@stroppyse and @triplem *wave* I'm watching too... but still playing catch up because was rather busy with RL for the past week.

Just finished ep.5-6... the hospital scene between the OTP is so sad... They clearly do love and care about each other but why are they restraining themselves from showing affections. Especially KMY, she wouldn't let him get near her.... could it be because she is still bothered by what her ex-boyfriend once said about worrying constantly for a partner who is a police? That's why she didn't want him to see her in injured state? I hope she caught his panic state before the curtain was pulled.

I laughed when HJ had to put on an act that she was still in control of MY's life... It was funny that her minions were not able to take MY down, and yet she had to use that as a chip to pressure JK into agreeing becoming her puppet.

Gotta admit I became a bit more excited about this show after seeing the actor who is the ex-assemblyman. It's the villain from

Spoiler

W and Alhambra!! :D

Is it weird if I'm shipping KMY's oppa to be with HJ? I thought they have good chemistry when they met. I want to see them hit something off somehow :P

Yay @ktcjdrama . Glad you didn’t drop this. 

I just got off watching eps 8 . I love it especially the end when he decided not to scam the buyers & decides to go this alone - that was so good.  I have a feeling he’s gonna be a legit politician at the end of the day . 

What do you guys think of Tae In Ho’s character- MY’s bro ? I know we’ve not been shown much but it’s interesting that he too is running for the elections & seems very much an idealist. 

@stroppyse does the preview show that MY realises that JK is a con ? I didn’t quite get it even with the translations . 

1 hour ago, triplem said:

I have a feeling he’s gonna be a legit politician at the end of the day

That's what I'm hoping to happen too in the end, because that seems to be the only way our OTP can have their real married life. Surely our cop-lady will not want to be tied to a con-man. And all this while he's been feeling apologetic to her that he does not dare to face her. I want him to show her that he is worthy of her love. 

I do think she will eventually find out that he used to be a con-man, but because of his sincerity, she will be touched to accept him and overlook his past. (yes, I'm still not off TYH hahaha)

MY's bro, seems to be carrying a torch for her? I still have no idea if he will be a friend or foe for JK...

12 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I think that the preview shows MY finding out that JK is involved in something shady. The little snippet seems to show her watching JK and being dismayed. Since MY had not had that much interest in JK's work previously, I think perhaps she runs across him while she's staking out HJ perhaps since HJ is on MY's radar now.

She saw him with Choi Pil Joo... would she think that he is the one who ordered the attack on her?

9 hours ago, uNiQueEkiX said:

I don't sure if this ever mention before, but I curious why KimJooMyung name is under "People around Mi Young" in DramaWiki website:  https://wiki.d-addicts.com/My_Fellow_Citizens

We see that JK is leaving KJM, not wanting his help to get elected. Maybe this is of later story development that KJM come to MY's side?

I'm glad others are watching this, I feel like it needs more attention. The writing is really stellar; I love how you think it's good, and then it just escalates another notch every time. I can't wait for the moment when not only MY finds out what her husband REALLY does for a living (don't tell me if it's in ep 8, I'm waiting for subs on that one still), and even more, for the moment they end up on the same side against this villain girl. 

The acting is also really good. Siwon is HILARIOUS, he has comedic timing down to an art form. I love the mom-daughter relationship, too, you can really feel that these are two people who care a lot about each other. Even though they have some pretty serious communication problems, and spend a lot of time apart, I can also feel that MY and JK love each other a lot. Not in the fantasy, too-good-to-be-true sense that pervades many a kdrama, but  more like real, normal people. It's good acting, and makes me invested in the characters. 

Kim Eui Sung also is really an amazing actor. Like...he plays so many bad guys or at least conflicted people...but he's seriously a different person in this one. (And he was two different people in W...) 

all caught up.. and I am still confused by the tone of this drama. hahahaha... maybe it is not my humour style but I don't find this drama funny. instead, it is either a political satire or a sad commentary about lots of things and it just has a very sad melo feel for me! :sweatingbullets:

On 4/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, ktcjdrama said:

Is it weird if I'm shipping KMY's oppa to be with HJ? I thought they have good chemistry when they met. I want to see them hit something off somehow :P

actually I had the same thought as well.. maybe it was just the actors chemistry as I am not sure if a villain would get a love interest? but then again, their yin yang was actually fun to watch. so she sort of intimidates and threatens people but there are a few who she can't push and min young's oppa was one of them. loved how he dissolved her argument so smoothly with his own logic that she had nothing to add. there was no weapon that she could use to try intimidate or push him around.. so in that way, maybe a weird romantic chemistry?

and HJ is such a weird character -- she is such a bully that other loan shark uncles are scared of her but she is not able to control the professor who wants money even though she thinks money can control people. she seems to always smirk but then seems to suffer from a problem of boredom? like she is too smart and has no idea where to use that brain and so is coming up with weird schemes? if she does have a love line, then maybe her younger sister will take over the shady loan shark business?

On 4/11/2019 at 8:49 AM, triplem said:

There’s a bit of a political satire here - especially when Jk likened the politicians to con men ( I cannot disagree :lol:) . In fact I like the set up of JK becoming a politician & this could very well become his real calling.

yea, that seems to be the vibe isn't? basically that all politicians are con artists anyway. so why not have a real one run?!

On 4/11/2019 at 6:56 PM, triplem said:

I love it especially the end when he decided not to scam the buyers & decides to go this alone - that was so good.  I have a feeling he’s gonna be a legit politician at the end of the day . 

was really worried for the buyers because they seemed like genuine folks. so rather than invested in the cat and mouse game between mi young and JK, I wanted them both to leave that poor buyer alone. so it is kind of weird watching a drama where you feel like slapping all the leads? :sweatingbullets:.. and yea, thats probably what will happen where he becomes one of those politicians who are very canny but super unpredictable. it is clear as day that this loan interest bill will never get through but the question for us is how it will happen...

On 4/11/2019 at 8:39 PM, ktcjdrama said:

And all this while he's been feeling apologetic to her that he does not dare to face her. I want him to show her that he is worthy of her love.  

there is this huge big wall in between the two of them. for mi young, she is at a loss as she has no idea what happened whereas jung kook just seems lost also. like he can't show his true self and is always tip toeing around her. am actually surprised at the depth of feeling between the two of them because it seemed like they were a rebound. but they genuinely seem to love each other and wanting to protect each other. so yea, they will have a glorious breakup after a few episodes and there will be LOTS of angst?

@stroppyse Thanks for the recap/ summary. I really have no time to watch last night's episodes. So really appreciate it. When MY finds out about JK , it will really be a test for her - it would be pit her ethics and values against her love and feelings for him. 

This is suppose to be for tonight...JK is going to start campaigning!

12 hours ago, stroppyse said:

This drama really is political commentary and satire rather than a straight up comedy per se.

just out of curiousity, is it elections or close to elections in korea? any idea? at least in my place, we usually have such satires/commentary close to those times...

I really enjoyed the latest episodes. I like the way they edit the meetings of our candidates, lol at the contrast... I pity KJM as his campaign manager, LOL... the money politics ~ *I faint*

And with the introduction of some new characters, the dynamics will be more interesting.

I'm very curious about the 5 sisters, how did their relationship became like so. And we haven't been introduced to no.3.

The preview also looks very interesting!

@stroppyse is the cast of jugglers doing a cameo ? 

With thanks to @gm4queen for this update . The PD of Jugglers is directing this show as well . 

Those of us who are watching Fiery Priest will be happy to see Sister Kim here :D

Thank you so much dear @triplem for tagging me here! The PD is same means we are in!! :wub: Then let's have some fun here together!! And this is my very 1st time on this thread so I shouldn't have come empty handed! Hope this series receive a lot of love from the public!!! :love:

My-Fellow-Citizens1_large.jpg

My-Fellow-Citizens2_large.jpg

@stroppyse thanks loads . I’m hoping for a cameo. I’m really enjoying the drama . 

This could possibly be one of SiWon’s best roles and you can tell he’s very committed to it . 

I laughed so hard when they showed the 3 candidates discussing their campaign strategies. There’s the veteran  politician with his smear campaign who knows that the most effective way to bring your opponents down is to dig dirt on them. Then there’s the  clean rookie politician with his Idealism & people centric policies - he should really be voted in , but unfortunately in the dirty world of politics people vote on sentiments . Finally there’s our Team Con ( or should I say team dumb & dumber :joy:) who’s first agenda was ordering food . Funnily their strategy of letting people hear what they want to hear may actually win this election ! 

I was also excited to see the introduction of Park’s older sis . There’s going to be an internal battle there. So do you guys think that sis no 3 is mi young ? 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1318928wpp/3-personas-that-describe-super-juniors-choi-siwon-in-my-fellow-citizens

3 Personas That Describe Super Junior’s Choi Siwon In “My Fellow Citizens”

Apr 20, 2019
by L. Kim

Super Junior’s Choi Siwon is showing a new image with his diverse character in “My Fellow Citizens”!

“My Fellow Citizens” is about the conman Yang Jung Guk (played by Super Junior’s Choi Siwon), who gets swept up in various incidents and finds himself running for a seat in the National Assembly, and his wife Kim Mi Young (played by Lee Yoo Young), who is a police officer.

Here are three key roles his character plays in the drama:

Veteran Swindler

Yang Jung Guk is a man with an extraordinary mind, lots of guts, proficient speaking skills, and a clean-cut appearance. He looks like a man who has everything, when in fact he’s nothing but a skillful conman. He successfully swindled Park Sang Pil (Kim Jong Gu), the godfather of the private loan business, out of a whopping 6 billion won (approximately $5.3 million). It made viewers wonder how on earth this third-generation swindler, who naturally entered the con world and had never been caught by the police, ended up running for the National Assembly.

Sweet Lover

What happens when a swindler falls in love? Will he show off his ability to win other people’s hearts easily, or is his love as superficial as a fraud? However, before the drama started, Choi Siwon said of his character, “He is a professional at swindling, but when he loves someone, he loves them in the exact opposite way of his professional characteristics. He is someone who can do anything for the person he loves.” Although he failed to reveal his real job to his wife, he willingly entered the campaign in order to protect her.

Public Sentiment Hunter

Not only is Yang Jung Guk a swindler and a lover, but also a “courageous citizen” and “real hero of this era.” Through two absurd coincidences, he caught a serial killer and rescued citizens who were at risk of getting into car a car accident. In order to win votes for the National Assembly, he needs to win public sentiment, and it looks like he’s on the right path, despite the fact that he doesn’t have political knowledge or a clear plan like the other candidates.

super-junior-choi-siwon-2.jpg

Archived