Quantcast
0ly40

[Current Drama 2019] Dear Citizens, 국민 여러분 - Mon & Tue @ 22:00 KST

12 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I think that the preview shows MY finding out that JK is involved in something shady. The little snippet seems to show her watching JK and being dismayed. Since MY had not had that much interest in JK's work previously, I think perhaps she runs across him while she's staking out HJ perhaps since HJ is on MY's radar now.

She saw him with Choi Pil Joo... would she think that he is the one who ordered the attack on her?

9 hours ago, uNiQueEkiX said:

I don't sure if this ever mention before, but I curious why KimJooMyung name is under "People around Mi Young" in DramaWiki website:  https://wiki.d-addicts.com/My_Fellow_Citizens

We see that JK is leaving KJM, not wanting his help to get elected. Maybe this is of later story development that KJM come to MY's side?

• Like 3

I'm glad others are watching this, I feel like it needs more attention. The writing is really stellar; I love how you think it's good, and then it just escalates another notch every time. I can't wait for the moment when not only MY finds out what her husband REALLY does for a living (don't tell me if it's in ep 8, I'm waiting for subs on that one still), and even more, for the moment they end up on the same side against this villain girl. 

The acting is also really good. Siwon is HILARIOUS, he has comedic timing down to an art form. I love the mom-daughter relationship, too, you can really feel that these are two people who care a lot about each other. Even though they have some pretty serious communication problems, and spend a lot of time apart, I can also feel that MY and JK love each other a lot. Not in the fantasy, too-good-to-be-true sense that pervades many a kdrama, but  more like real, normal people. It's good acting, and makes me invested in the characters. 

Kim Eui Sung also is really an amazing actor. Like...he plays so many bad guys or at least conflicted people...but he's seriously a different person in this one. (And he was two different people in W...) 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

all caught up.. and I am still confused by the tone of this drama. hahahaha... maybe it is not my humour style but I don't find this drama funny. instead, it is either a political satire or a sad commentary about lots of things and it just has a very sad melo feel for me! :sweatingbullets:

On 4/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, ktcjdrama said:

Is it weird if I'm shipping KMY's oppa to be with HJ? I thought they have good chemistry when they met. I want to see them hit something off somehow :P

actually I had the same thought as well.. maybe it was just the actors chemistry as I am not sure if a villain would get a love interest? but then again, their yin yang was actually fun to watch. so she sort of intimidates and threatens people but there are a few who she can't push and min young's oppa was one of them. loved how he dissolved her argument so smoothly with his own logic that she had nothing to add. there was no weapon that she could use to try intimidate or push him around.. so in that way, maybe a weird romantic chemistry?

and HJ is such a weird character -- she is such a bully that other loan shark uncles are scared of her but she is not able to control the professor who wants money even though she thinks money can control people. she seems to always smirk but then seems to suffer from a problem of boredom? like she is too smart and has no idea where to use that brain and so is coming up with weird schemes? if she does have a love line, then maybe her younger sister will take over the shady loan shark business?

On 4/11/2019 at 8:49 AM, triplem said:

There’s a bit of a political satire here - especially when Jk likened the politicians to con men ( I cannot disagree :lol:) . In fact I like the set up of JK becoming a politician & this could very well become his real calling.

yea, that seems to be the vibe isn't? basically that all politicians are con artists anyway. so why not have a real one run?!

On 4/11/2019 at 6:56 PM, triplem said:

I love it especially the end when he decided not to scam the buyers & decides to go this alone - that was so good.  I have a feeling he’s gonna be a legit politician at the end of the day . 

was really worried for the buyers because they seemed like genuine folks. so rather than invested in the cat and mouse game between mi young and JK, I wanted them both to leave that poor buyer alone. so it is kind of weird watching a drama where you feel like slapping all the leads? :sweatingbullets:.. and yea, thats probably what will happen where he becomes one of those politicians who are very canny but super unpredictable. it is clear as day that this loan interest bill will never get through but the question for us is how it will happen...

On 4/11/2019 at 8:39 PM, ktcjdrama said:

And all this while he's been feeling apologetic to her that he does not dare to face her. I want him to show her that he is worthy of her love.  

there is this huge big wall in between the two of them. for mi young, she is at a loss as she has no idea what happened whereas jung kook just seems lost also. like he can't show his true self and is always tip toeing around her. am actually surprised at the depth of feeling between the two of them because it seemed like they were a rebound. but they genuinely seem to love each other and wanting to protect each other. so yea, they will have a glorious breakup after a few episodes and there will be LOTS of angst?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

I really liked episodes 9 and 10.  This drama presents a lot of twists, as befitting a drama with a con man for a lead.

JK does have a soft heart, but he's not above turning things around to his advantage rather than just leaving it with doing a good deed. :) However, he does have a limit as to things he won't do. For being a con man, he has a sense of honor.

HJ may be an evil loan shark, but she is also very smart and wily, and it's interesting watching her deal with people. She doesn't always get her way, as with Kim Joo Myung (the Assemblyman she wanted to be JK's advisor) who tells her, after JK says he's not going to sell his building for him, that even if JK had succeeded in selling the building, that he KJM wouldn't have agreed to be JK's advisor anyway. It didn't make sense for a con artist to be running for the National Assembly. KMJ was just taking advantage of JK as a con man possibly actually being able to sell it for more than it's worth and taking the building off his hands. You can literally see HJ turn icy with rage as she registers that KJM had just been toying with her. Ultimately, though, she comes out the winner of this episode, as she coerces JK into falling back in with the plan and twists JK's work to threaten KJM into being his advisor.

I think I'm still waiting for MY to become a more substantial character in this drama, though, and I hope it will come as she realizes what JK is. I know that there will be a lot of angst in store for the OTP when she finds out. JK is still actively trying to hide his profession from her, but it doesn't look as if it will last much longer. I just feel that her character can't go much further until she finds out the truth about JK. And, then the dynamics should change, whether it's because she now knows that she's looking to arrest her own husband, or possibly later on, because she's realized that he's actually trying to do the right things even if he started for the wrong-ish reasons.

It also seems that each episode of this drama has a running gag of some kind. In eps 9 and 10, it was that JK's sister kept telling her daughter to pretend not to know her grandfather since her grandfather was a bad man, a con artist. It was actually kind of funny, but kind of not. Then again, I may just be a bit too tired today to really be into it.

I like the open confrontation between the OTP at the end. I like that MY, at least, is honest with JK and tells him a few things about herself that he was too wrapped up in his own guilt to be aware of. When he charges that MY had gone back into the field without letting him know, MY responds that she had loved him more than she had loved her job and thus had transferred to the desk job, but as soon as they got married, he had started ignoring her, and she hadn't known how to handle that. And, so she had finally transferred back to a field job so that she could "live" again. I think JK heard her and felt more regret, but he only responded that he's running for the National Assembly so that he, too, could "live" again.

And, then later on, MY asks him not to leave and to stay with her, but he leaves anyway. I think it's because he feels that he has to do what he can to ensure their safety, and he's decided that the only way to do that is to run for the National Assembly, even if MY is unhappy about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@stroppyse Thanks for the recap/ summary. I really have no time to watch last night's episodes. So really appreciate it. When MY finds out about JK , it will really be a test for her - it would be pit her ethics and values against her love and feelings for him. 

This is suppose to be for tonight...JK is going to start campaigning!

Edited by triplem
  • Like 4

Wow, episodes 11, 12. In the middle of watching it, but this caught my attention. This drama really is political commentary and satire rather than a straight up comedy per se.

This is from a scene where Kim Joo Myung and JK go to a bath together, after a rather disastrous first meeting to try to set up the campaign. KJM has just told JK that they are going to have to con the Korean people in order for JK to win the election since JK has no idea about Korean history, politics, or needs of the Korean people. JK isn't sure that it's doable, but KJM responds with the following musing:

KJM: You, at the last American elections, do you know how Trump won?
JK: Yes?
KJM: A richard simmons who used to be a land merchant and was on tv saying “you’re fired”, how did someone like him become the president of a huge country like that. Do you know?
(JK just quirks his head that he doesn’t know.)
KJM: It wasn’t much. The American white people. They thought that they were the ones who made America, but they felt that they were losing out to black people, losing out to Hispanic people, and losing out to Asian people. So those people who thought that it was their land, but they didn’t even have a home where they could sleep comfortably, those white people. He was able to win their hearts, that’s how he won. We’re going to use the same concept. Let’s see how we can do that.

There is quite a lot of rather thoughtful exposition in this drama about society and politics. It's infused with humor to try to make it more palatable for the audience, I think, but at the end of the day, the digs do run deep and sharp. Whew!

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

For eps 11 and 12, the main points were that JK starts his campaign to be elected an Assemblyman, and that MY's suspicions having been roused finds evidence that JK is a bit shady.

So, the episodes throws JK in contrast to the other 2 candidates. JK is just plain clueless about history or politics or societal needs, etc., as are his team, along with HJ and her crew, for that matter. The other two candidates are having noisy sessions about their respective campaigns, while JK and his people sit cluelessly until KJM shows up to the meeting. Kang Soo Il, the experienced candidate is running on a negative platform, meaning he tells his campaign team to find dirt on the other candidates and smear them. Han Sang Jin, the other newbie candidate and MY's ex-bf, is almost too idealistic to be a political candidate. His campaign manager tells him at one point that he's running as a candidate for his district, so he should be thinking about bringing money, etc. into his district when HSJ argues against campaigning for an additional transportation links into his proposed district since a neighboring district would be better off with those services being provided from that district.

So, JK has the conversation about KJM as to whether it's even possible for someone as clueless and as ill-educated as himself to be elected a National Assemblyman, to which KJM responds as translated in my previous post. KJM accurately predicts the campaigns that the other candidates will take, and decides that it's people's trust in JK that they have to exploit, plus JK's ability to claim commonality with them. Ultimately, JK becomes a chameleon, taking on the accents of the various citizens that he meets, claiming that he had spent significant time or been raised in various parts of the country, taking on the accent of the region that the person he's speaking to is from.

HJ and her people start a campaign of bribing influencers to tell people to vote for JK, including a fortune teller who tells people that if they don't vote for JK that they will have bad luck including failing businesses and not being able to find a marriage partner.

In the meantime, MY's suspicions about JK are roused by various things including HJ's pronouncement that JK was a con artist. Her team member also finds JK caught on tape at the building that they were trying to scam sell, and then MY hears about a description by a security guard witness about a man who looked like JK being the man who erased security footage from a building. All of this leads MY to follow JK, and thus sees him with his con artist crew.

MY then confronts JK with it to end the episode.

So, that is the basic plot of the episode, but I don't think it does a good job of conveying how good the episodes were. It makes some scathing digs about politics, both of Korean and American, and also holds up people's motivations to the light. It's not always about doing what's best; a lot of times, it is more about self interest. The use of influencers is also a dig at the suspect nature of people who give advice. And, this part feels like a dig on both the use of celebrity as spokespersons and the plethora of "influencers" online and everywhere right now. If these people are endorsing the products, services, etc. for money, then how much value should be given on that endorsement, and how does one know when the endorsement is genuine or just because they're getting paid. So should we really be making decisions based on paid endorsements?

There is also a lot of humor in the episodes still, even though there is an underlying tension to the comedy, because it is actually a rather serious subject. However, I did find myself laughing out loud a couple of times while watching. I should also note that I usually multi-task when I'm watching, but I found this episode fascinating enough that I actually focused on watching the drama rather than just having it on in the background.

Finally, I couldn't find a YT clip of it, but here is a translation of the preview to eps 13, 14.

HJ to MY: If you do, you’ll get really hurt. I’m not joking.
MY to HJ: If I do get hurt, then what do you think will happen to you? Do you know how to fight even?
MY Mother to MY: How are you going to catch them? Think about it logically.
MY: It involves my husband, so how can I be logical about it?!
Announcer: In just a minute, the broadcast with the National Assembly candidates will start.
Man to KJM(?): The issue regarding Kim Mi Young has been taken care of as ordered.
JK to KJM: What issue was taken care of? What did you do to Mi Young?!

Detective to MY(?): We confirmed that they are inside, and there are people in the sauna…
KJM to JK: We have to do whatever we have to right now. That is the only way that you will live, and your wife will live as well!
MY into her walkie talkie: Who shot?
Woman: What is going on?
MY into her walkie talkie: Report on what the situation is now.
JK to KJM: I can’t trust any of you people now. I’m going to do as I want, with only what I believe in now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stroppyse said:

This drama really is political commentary and satire rather than a straight up comedy per se.

just out of curiousity, is it elections or close to elections in korea? any idea? at least in my place, we usually have such satires/commentary close to those times...

• Like 5

On 4/17/2019 at 12:05 AM, Lmangla said:

just out of curiousity, is it elections or close to elections in korea? any idea? at least in my place, we usually have such satires/commentary close to those times...

I don't think that there are any elections in the near future. The next National Assembly elections are in April 2020. The next presidential election will be in 2022 since they just had a president change in 2017 after President Park was removed from office. SK presidents normally serve 5 year terms unless they are removed from office. National Assembly members typically serve 4 years in office. Not sure if there are any special elections going on right now which may happen if there is an unexpected vacancy.

I think this drama is more of a response to various reception corruption scandals. While there have been any number of dramas with a corrupt or misbegotten Assembly member as a character, this drama takes full charge at the whole process of getting elected and serving. It's a preposterous idea that a professional scam artist should be able to run for the National Assembly, but I think there is a bit of a sly commentary on whether a professional con man may not be just as fitted to serve and may have more of a conscience than an elected Assembly member. We'll have to see how the story develops.

I am totally loving Yang Jung Kook as a character, however and Choi Si Won plays him with so much sincerity!

• Like 5

I really enjoyed the latest episodes. I like the way they edit the meetings of our candidates, lol at the contrast... I pity KJM as his campaign manager, LOL... the money politics ~ *I faint*

And with the introduction of some new characters, the dynamics will be more interesting.

I'm very curious about the 5 sisters, how did their relationship became like so. And we haven't been introduced to no.3.

The preview also looks very interesting!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@stroppyse is the cast of jugglers doing a cameo ? 

With thanks to @gm4queen for this update . The PD of Jugglers is directing this show as well . 

Those of us who are watching Fiery Priest will be happy to see Sister Kim here :D

Edited by triplem
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Thank you so much dear @triplem for tagging me here! The PD is same means we are in!! :wub: Then let's have some fun here together!! And this is my very 1st time on this thread so I shouldn't have come empty handed! Hope this series receive a lot of love from the public!!! :love:

My-Fellow-Citizens1_large.jpg

My-Fellow-Citizens2_large.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

On 4/19/2019 at 3:14 AM, triplem said:

@stroppyse is the cast of jugglers doing a cameo ? 

@triplem, it looks like it, doesn't it? Though, the caption doesn't explicitly say so. The caption to that insta reads:

Already a year! Welcome faces whenever one sees them. Thank you!! #Jugglers #MyFellowCitizens #ChoiDaniel #BaekJinHee #InGyoJin #ChoiShiWon #WooHyun #jugglers #myfellowcitizens #kdrama

It could be a simple visit, but the fact that both Choi Daniel and Baek Jin Hee showed up makes me think that they are going to do a cameo. So fun!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

@stroppyse thanks loads . I’m hoping for a cameo. I’m really enjoying the drama . 

This could possibly be one of SiWon’s best roles and you can tell he’s very committed to it . 

I laughed so hard when they showed the 3 candidates discussing their campaign strategies. There’s the veteran  politician with his smear campaign who knows that the most effective way to bring your opponents down is to dig dirt on them. Then there’s the  clean rookie politician with his Idealism & people centric policies - he should really be voted in , but unfortunately in the dirty world of politics people vote on sentiments . Finally there’s our Team Con ( or should I say team dumb & dumber :joy:) who’s first agenda was ordering food . Funnily their strategy of letting people hear what they want to hear may actually win this election ! 

I was also excited to see the introduction of Park’s older sis . There’s going to be an internal battle there. So do you guys think that sis no 3 is mi young ? 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1318928wpp/3-personas-that-describe-super-juniors-choi-siwon-in-my-fellow-citizens

3 Personas That Describe Super Junior’s Choi Siwon In “My Fellow Citizens”

Apr 20, 2019
by L. Kim

Super Junior’s Choi Siwon is showing a new image with his diverse character in “My Fellow Citizens”!

“My Fellow Citizens” is about the conman Yang Jung Guk (played by Super Junior’s Choi Siwon), who gets swept up in various incidents and finds himself running for a seat in the National Assembly, and his wife Kim Mi Young (played by Lee Yoo Young), who is a police officer.

Here are three key roles his character plays in the drama:

Veteran Swindler

Yang Jung Guk is a man with an extraordinary mind, lots of guts, proficient speaking skills, and a clean-cut appearance. He looks like a man who has everything, when in fact he’s nothing but a skillful conman. He successfully swindled Park Sang Pil (Kim Jong Gu), the godfather of the private loan business, out of a whopping 6 billion won (approximately $5.3 million). It made viewers wonder how on earth this third-generation swindler, who naturally entered the con world and had never been caught by the police, ended up running for the National Assembly.

Sweet Lover

What happens when a swindler falls in love? Will he show off his ability to win other people’s hearts easily, or is his love as superficial as a fraud? However, before the drama started, Choi Siwon said of his character, “He is a professional at swindling, but when he loves someone, he loves them in the exact opposite way of his professional characteristics. He is someone who can do anything for the person he loves.” Although he failed to reveal his real job to his wife, he willingly entered the campaign in order to protect her.

Public Sentiment Hunter

Not only is Yang Jung Guk a swindler and a lover, but also a “courageous citizen” and “real hero of this era.” Through two absurd coincidences, he caught a serial killer and rescued citizens who were at risk of getting into car a car accident. In order to win votes for the National Assembly, he needs to win public sentiment, and it looks like he’s on the right path, despite the fact that he doesn’t have political knowledge or a clear plan like the other candidates.

super-junior-choi-siwon-2.jpg

Edited by triplem
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, triplem said:

So do you guys think that sis no 3 is mi young

:o I have never considered that possibility!! But that is going to be some fun twist if it is so... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

:o I have never considered that possibility!! But that is going to be some fun twist if it is so... :lol:

It would be an unexpected twist! It’s a bit out of left field but I thought it strange they did not show number 3 . Plus MY is adopted & was quite a thug herself in her school days . 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Posted (edited)

Dear @triplem chingu!! You've said in earlier pages of this thread that the PD is from Jugglers! Then there's no doubt that our favorite office couple will enter in to the series as cameos!! :wub: YAYYY!! Can't wait for further updates!

And I am seeing @stroppyse @Lmangla & @ktcjdrama after a long time here! This series really looks promising & the cast is great!! Currently I am not watching the series but I've heard that Choi Si Won is returning to the small screen after about 2yrs.... :o So I really hope that this series will bring him good luck! And I've seen Lee Yoo Young in another series last year! I find her so unique among other K-actresses! Her acting is also nice! :wub: And they two look amazing together!!

photo1041428.jpg 

And with you guys' comments here, I think I want to watch this series right from the beginning not just the cameo of Choi Daniel & Baek Jin Hee!! :wub: What do you say...??! :)

Edited by gm4queen
  • Like 5
  • Love 2