[Official Thread] Arthur Chen FeiYu [陈飞宇]

tothestars

49 minutes ago, tothestars said:

I know righttttt, he really cried :bawling: how i really want to see the bts...

I like that his expression was gradually change. There was helplessness i  his eyes. It was real.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mei2018 said:

I like that his expression was gradually change. There was helplessness i  his eyes. It was real.

Spoiler alert!

Spoiler

Yes yes yes, right from the moment he woke up until he realized that he was still being manipulated by his master, then he also expressing his anger to his master, because he was lying to him all this years, mix emotion anger, sad, and helplessness. And the afterward too, when he went to his school for the last time, the moment he entered the school, the scene omg... The song... Ahh i want to download the song, hasnt been released until now, sad...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, angelangie said:

i still cant stop wishing that LuPing is with SuTang instead

SAME!! (hi, ladies :wub:)  I'm really impressed by Ancy Deng, and Arthur looks gorgeous as always ;) 

LoA is so campy, I love it! Frankly, I went into it with no expectations, and as a result was not disappointed! It felt like he was typecast a little, but the outcome is so different. I'm looking forward to Immortality, based on the little visuals I've seen that have been leaked.

And as for @tothestars, I was trying to figure out who this new megafan was! haha nice (temporary) new name!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, Lbpg said:

And as for @tothestars, I was trying to figure out who this new megafan was! haha nice (temporary) new name!

Buahahahahhahahah!! New Megafan LOL!!

9 hours ago, Lbpg said:

LoA is so campy, I love it! Frankly, I went into it with no expectations, and as a result was not disappointed! It felt like he was typecast a little, but the outcome is so different. I'm looking forward to Immortality, based on the little visuals I've seen that have been leaked.

Ah me too me too! Before watching the drama, i am so having a little faith in this, and like you said typecast also in my dictionary. But turn out so different, a loser and a thief, he was pretend to be God of Bandit not for helping people like Robin Hood, but to collect money for him and su tang, and looking for their saviour

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, tothestars said:

Buahahahahhahahah!! New Megafan LOL!!

Ah me too me too! Before watching the drama, i am so having a little faith in this, and like you said typecast also in my dictionary. But turn out so different, a loser and a thief, he was pretend to be God of Bandit not for helping people like Robin Hood, but to collect money for him and su tang, and looking for their saviour

I was worried if LOA  will be good or not because it will be compared to Ever night.

Well! It is not ever night but it is good in it own way.

I got a feel of a detective style story while ever night is more linear in story telling.

Lu Ping is also similar but different from Ning Que and I think that CFY has performed it well.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mei2018 said:

I was worried if LOA  will be good or not because it will be compared to Ever night.

I got a feel of a detective style story while ever night is more linear in story telling.

Lu Ping is also similar but different from Ning Que and I think that CFY has performed it well.

I'm definitely glad it's not trying to be ever night and it stands on its own. The cast deserves that much, at least, after so much controversy and disappointment with EN2. 

4 hours ago, tothestars said:

Special vlog about Arthur in LoA shooting site.

Help someone anybody... Translating other actors said about Arthur...

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4498692787339309/4498694457524472

@tothestars here you go:

The first part is cfy talking about the character LuPing:

• He was imprisoned in Shan hai tower since young.  The funny thing is he had no idea why he was imprisoned nor does he understand his own strength.  It’s his curiosity about his origins is that drove him to seek out the person that has hurt him.  
  • But once he has discovered the secrets of his past, he used it to help others.  He wasn’t only about to kill this person or destroy that house.  
  • He wants to live an ordinary life and not be embroiled in vengeance and hate.

Okay on to what other say about him:

• His headmaster:  (oh boy I have a hard time translate this one word and google didn’t really help.  The closest I can come up is charisma). Feiyu actually has a lot of charisma.  He can use his real feelings to play the character.  This is not easy to do.
  • Cheng Xiao: I have to thank Feiyu. he really took care of me.  He helped me a lot in this drama
  • Ancy: I thought he would be aloof.  But then I discovered he’s actually very playful.  When he’s on set the atmosphere is fun and we are happy to spend the day together 
  • Dylan Xiong:  he’s much younger than me, by about 7 or 8 years.  His performance is very good for someone so young.  I am actually pretty jealous
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 8:52 AM, Lbpg said:

11 hours ago, mei2018 said:

WORDS!!!

Naturally my initial reason to watch this is for Arthur, but I'm actually enjoying the show. Yes, it's campy, cheesy, the colors are so not my favorite. But the plot is intriguing (plotholes aside hahahah), and I genuinely care for the main characters, except Cheng Xiao's. I feel like Qin Sang is not well written, and unfortunately CX in my opinion doesn't have the skill yet to develop it, nor make the character likeable like Arthur does. On a side note, don't underestimate her fanbase. If you browse the Chinese sites (I particularly surf Douban and Zhihu), you will see her fans pouring in and showing support to her. I never doubt that her fans help elevating the show's viewing rank.

Back to the show, it is also reminding me to some old HK wuxia movies, like the cheap-looking set & clothing, some intentionally exaggerated acting, and the humor. You're all right, this is not Ever Night, and now I think that's what the production team aims from the get go. It is not pretentious, and it doesn't take itself seriously. @tothestars I finally succumbed & bought myself iQiyi VIP membership! But, I saw 10 episodes on iQiyi on a whim, and decided to rewatch it on Viki, and tbh it is more enjoyable as the subtitle is better, I think. I laugh and chuckle a lot at scenes and dialogues! There are a lot of self-mockery and sentences that only make sense in modern days. They're probably not as clever as in Joy of Life, or even in Go Princess Go, but they're still funny.

As for Arthur -- @angelangie I take back what I said about his hair styling. This one suits him very well! It really complements his face, he looks so handsome and manly. Acting wise, you see a lot of improvement from Ever Night. I think he still needs to learn to add small gestures to enrich the character, esp when the camera is not on him. But I trust our boy that his acting formal training will bring him further! He already got that natural charisma. 

• Love 3

3 hours ago, caranita said:

Back to the show, it is also reminding me to some old HK wuxia movies, like the cheap-looking set & clothing, some intentionally exaggerated acting, and the humor. You're all right, this is not Ever Night, and now I think that's what the production team aims from the get go. It is not pretentious, and it doesn't take itself seriously. @tothestars I finally succumbed & bought myself iQiyi VIP membership! But, I saw 10 episodes on iQiyi on a whim, and decided to rewatch it on Viki, and tbh it is more enjoyable as the subtitle is better, I think. I laugh and chuckle a lot at scenes and dialogues! There are a lot of self-mockery and sentences that only make sense in modern days. They're probably not as clever as in Joy of Life, or even in Go Princess Go, but they're still funny.

Ooohh which subs did you think were better, iqiyi or viki? I started watching on iqiyi but swapped to viki as they're available *so fast* (i actually wondered if they were taking the iqiyi ones (which is against their policy, but seriously, how are they subbing so fast?).

To be honest, i'm watching while working at home, so i'm not following along 100%, but i'm juggling so many, i don't want to fall too far behind :w00t:

3 hours ago, caranita said:

As for Arthur -- @angelangie I take back what I said about his hair styling. This one suits him very well! It really complements his face, he looks so handsome and manly. Acting wise, you see a lot of improvement from Ever Night. I think he still needs to learn to add small gestures to enrich the character, esp when the camera is not on him. But I trust our boy that his acting formal training will bring him further! He already got that natural charisma. 

I'm warming up to the wig as well, though the wispy hairs in front for all the male characters still feels unnecessary, but it adds to the campyness - i'll stick to that :rolleyes:

He does show improvement, I also hope he'd do better with the micro-expressions, but this was a year and a half ago.. i'd like to think he's improved since being directed by his dad on the 2 films he's done since.

On a side note... The effects on this drama are reminding me of Mexican shows from the 70s and 80s that had the cheesiest green screen effects and flimsiest props ever, and they were awesome to watch. Between those and background music on LoA, I'm having such a blast watching!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Lbpg said:

Ooohh which subs did you think were better, iqiyi or viki? I started watching on iqiyi but swapped to viki as they're available *so fast* (i actually wondered if they were taking the iqiyi ones (which is against their policy, but seriously, how are they subbing so fast?).

Hm, my take is Viki is better in using appropriate wordings or nuance in their translation, so viewers can understand the context. I reckon that iQiyi isn't bad at all, the sub doesn't feel like machine-translation, and characters' names are written. Now that you ask that,  I'm thinking of comparing perhaps an episode or two to see where the difference lies. But you could be right, there is possibility that they're using iQiyi's subs too :phew:.

6 hours ago, Lbpg said:

He does show improvement, I also hope he'd do better with the micro-expressions, but this was a year and a half ago.. i'd like to think he's improved since being directed by his dad on the 2 films he's done since.

Yeap. His progress is steady. His micro-expressions are already there in that 15-minute segment in "My People, My Country", though he was overshadowed by Liu Haoran. It worked though, since he was playing the younger brother who both worships and fears his older brother. I'm actually looking forward to Youth/Flowers Bloom in the Ashes.

6 hours ago, Lbpg said:

On a side note... The effects on this drama are reminding me of Mexican shows from the 70s and 80s that had the cheesiest green screen effects and flimsiest props ever, and they were awesome to watch. Between those and background music on LoA, I'm having such a blast watching!

Ha, I don't think I've ever seen one like that, but I can imagine :lol::lol:.

I want to post on LoA thread, perhaps about what I like about the show, including the hilarious things I found there. It really feels like old-school HK wuxia movie, complete with weird and eccentric characters. I mean -- who wouldn't love a drunkard FEMALE master? lololol.

Oh, another thing about Arthur's styling. Unsure whether you gals notice it too, but his slightly tanned complexion is nice to look at! I prefer this to the usual pale/cakey tone in many Cdrama, including Ning Que after he's admitted to the Academy!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

@caranita @Lbpg Wow what a review! Both of you should write those on LoA thread! Help me make some noises there LOL

I love the ChuMin master!!!! She is such a badasss!! She was Jill Hsu a singer, i love one of her song "I Wanna Be With You" back then, ah such a nostalgia :P

I agree that LoA is more campy than Ever Night, we keep comparing both of them yeah? One thing from Lu Ping that stand aside from Ning Que, Lu Ping is not arrogant and he is more playful when with everybody, covering his inner insecure feeling because of Gang ShanHai. When he with Su Tang, then he will get serious. CMIIW.

Btw so viki subbing is also fast and aired the same as like iQiyi? Well then maybe i have to switch to Viki as well?? Ah i forgot why i watch in iQiyi, because LoA in Viki is not licensed in my region. LOL

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, tothestars said:

I love the ChuMin master!!!! She is such a badasss!! She was Jill Hsu a singer, i love one of her song "I Wanna Be With You" back then, ah such a nostalgia :P

I just checked because I was shocked -- but apparently it was Wang Jia Ning,  not Jill Hsu (according to Douban and MDL). 

Wow what a review! Both of you should write those on LoA thread! Help me make some noises there LOL

Hahahhaa... perhaps not really a review, more like personal note on how I feel about the series. We'll see!

One thing from Lu Ping that stand aside from Ning Que, Lu Ping is not arrogant and he is more playful when with everybody, covering his inner insecure feeling because of Gang ShanHai. When he with Su Tang, then he will get serious. CMIIW.

True that, Lu Ping's not arrogant, and more thoughtful to other people than Ning Que. He can get serious with Su Tang, because she's the only one who knows and understands him,  and the most important person to him so far. Sigh, I really like their dynamics, and sorta hate that Qin Sang is being brought forth between them. Funny, I don't mind Su Tang - Mo Lin's relationship at all. Or maybe I just like Su Tang & Deng Enxi :D .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tothestars said:

Btw so viki subbing is also fast and aired the same as like iQiyi? Well then maybe i have to switch to Viki as well?? Ah i forgot why i watch in iQiyi, because LoA in Viki is not licensed in my region. LOL

Nope. At the moment Viki's still at ep 8, while iQiyi is at 16. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caranita said:

I just checked because I was shocked -- but apparently it was Wang Jia Ning,  not Jill Hsu (according to Douban and MDL). 

I was shocked too, and you are right, i just watched the director's cut VLOG, there is Wang JiaNing as Master Zhumin, Jill Hsu was for Shao YinChu, havent showed up.

1 hour ago, caranita said:

True that, Lu Ping's not arrogant, and more thoughtful to other people than Ning Que. He can get serious with Su Tang, because she's the only one who knows and understands him,  and the most important person to him so far. Sigh, I really like their dynamics, and sorta hate that Qin Sang is being brought forth between them. Funny, I don't mind Su Tang - Mo Lin's relationship at all. Or maybe I just like Su Tang & Deng Enxi :D

Yeah i also like Mo Lin and Su Tang relationship, although still in friendship chemistry, maybe we'll see later after they both get together without Lu Ping n Yan SiFan. Well Qin Sang and Lu Ping will get married LOL, but from clips somehow i have a feeling it will be a sad ending for both of them, one of them might die, oh i hope not please, dont make Lu Ping die.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caranita said:

Hm, my take is Viki is better in using appropriate wordings or nuance in their translation, so viewers can understand the context. I reckon that iQiyi isn't bad at all, the sub doesn't feel like machine-translation, and characters' names are written. Now that you ask that,  I'm thinking of comparing perhaps an episode or two to see where the difference lies. But you could be right, there is possibility that they're using iQiyi's subs too :phew:.

My friend mentioned that in both apps they're sometimes skipping subs for entire sentences, and they do simplify terms quite a bit, but it doesn't feel like it affects the story/understanding, so i'm okay with that. It's not the kind of drama that should dwell on subtleties for the international audience, anyway lol

I'm watching on Viki just because of portability between tv/phone/pc, but yeah there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two, and i can only consume so many episodes per week these days anyway! Working from home is brutal, but I'm not complaining ;)

Ha, I don't think I've ever seen one like that, but I can imagine :lol::lol:.

For funsies... it's this kind of show.. I know this is totally random and unrelated, but I grew up with this show and it totally reminded me of what I'm seeing in LoA, quality-wise :D, of course, updated for 2020 instead of ~1980. The props and green screen is what I'm relating back to LoA. Call it my version of HK wuxia movies? hahaha Here the super hero (who's dressed as a cricket) is saving the world from space pirates.

I want to post on LoA thread, perhaps about what I like about the show, including the hilarious things I found there. It really feels like old-school HK wuxia movie, complete with weird and eccentric characters. I mean -- who wouldn't love a drunkard FEMALE master? lololol.

We probably should.... :sweatingbullets:

Oh, another thing about Arthur's styling. Unsure whether you gals notice it too, but his slightly tanned complexion is nice to look at! I prefer this to the usual pale/cakey tone in many Cdrama, including Ning Que after he's admitted to the Academy!

I agree! I like his makeup here a lot! His milkiness is not as obvious lol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tothestars said:

Well Qin Sang and Lu Ping will get married LOL, but from clips somehow i have a feeling it will be a sad ending for both of them, one of them might die, oh i hope not please, dont make Lu Ping die

No kidding? Damn Arthur! At the tender age of 18, he's had two marriages! LOL.

I'm now at ep 12, and I can see the leading chars romance has been developed fast, but somehow I'm not feeling them. Despite CX's acting (or lack thereof), I do find the romantic feelings between the characters believable. Their chemistry is alright, though I still prefer his with Enxi. I don't think weddings are fitting in a story about the journey of young heroes, but that's just me *sigh*. 

I also hope it won't be Lu Ping's death! 

8 hours ago, Lbpg said:

For funsies... it's this kind of show.. I know this is totally random and unrelated, but I grew up with this show and it totally reminded me of what I'm seeing in LoA, quality-wise :D, of course, updated for 2020 instead of ~1980. The props and green screen is what I'm relating back to LoA. Call it my version of HK wuxia movies? hahaha Here the super hero (who's dressed as a cricket) is saving the world from space pirates.

HHAHAHHAHAHAHH... THANK YOU! Then I definitely saw shows like this when I was a kid. But super heroes that dressed as a cricket is an ultimate gem! :joy:

Though most international audience seems to enjoy the show, I've seen some complaints asking why Arthur left EN2 for this. With the low production value & less than stellar editing (though the plot and the dialogues are surprisingly pretty good), I think it's safe to assume that, well, perhaps he really had no other choice, no? I'm not trying to open up an old wound, but those questions are warranted :).

• Like 2
  • Love 1