[Official Thread] Arthur Chen FeiYu [陈飞宇]

tothestars

2 hours ago, Lbpg said:

At least they didn't go overboard with the PPL - Pizza Hut was already ridiculous enough!

It IS ridiculous, but at the same time it cracked me up. That modern time reference is actually not straying too far from the original source, no? In tone, I mean. Wasn't NQ written as someone coming from the future, or from an alternate universe? I didn't read the entire novel, but I remember glancing at a chapter in which NQ was brushing his teeth. I read that people of Tang Dynasty had done/were familiar with teeth brushing, but I don't think it was already a habit back then.

2 hours ago, Lbpg said:

Ha, true. I'm surprised those novels have such a large audience outside of their native language, especially since 2/3 of it isn't even translated yet and you have to read the MTL version instead.

I'm not a fan of fujoshi, nor teacher-student romantic relationship. The age gap between Arthur & Leo is alarming to me as well, although they're professional actors, and Arthur will hit 20 this year. (I kicked myself for shipping Arthur & SYR due to their cute interactions on & off screen :( ). So on paper the drama comes all wrong to me. But I will see how it develops -- I can tolerate bromance!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, caranita said:

It IS ridiculous, but at the same time it cracked me up. That modern time reference is actually not straying too far from the original source, no? In tone, I mean. Wasn't NQ written as someone coming from the future, or from an alternate universe? I didn't read the entire novel, but I remember glancing at a chapter in which NQ was brushing his teeth. I read that people of Tang Dynasty had done/were familiar with teeth brushing, but I don't think it was already a habit back then.

Girl, he is from modern times and *somehow* is reborn in this parallel universe that has a China with a Tang dynasty. Don't ask too many questions, plot holes abound. At first I thought it was the author being cutesy when he mentioned Einstein, then The Little Prince came up, then Eiffel Tower, then Doraemon (????), then mobius strips, telescopes, and finally The Beatles. Everyone that hears him talk about these things just thinks he's crazy, and it doesn't faze him at all that he's in a parallel dimension or something. But then it's never explained, and it's not like it's a major plot driver (until it's clear that NQ can go against Haotian and succeed because he's not of that world, thus her rules don't apply to him - why I'd like to see how they explain all this in EN2 since the concept of him being from another world is not explored in the drama.)

So from that perspective, it's keeping on theme, but CPP is the first one that cooks pan pizza, so... Not really lol. 

I'm not a fan of fujoshi, nor teacher-student romantic relationship. The age gap between Arthur & Leo is alarming to me as well, although they're professional actors, and Arthur will hit 20 this year. (I kicked myself for shipping Arthur & SYR due to their cute interactions on & off screen :( ). So on paper the drama comes all wrong to me. But I will see how it develops -- I can tolerate bromance!

I'm okay with May/November romances, but we know the adaptation won't include any of that. They'll start filming before he turns 20, tho. Wonder what kind of stipulations he'll have in his contract to ensure the adaptation is extra-sanitary! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, Lbpg said:

Girl, he is from modern times and *somehow* is reborn in this parallel universe that has a China with a Tang dynasty. Don't ask too many questions, plot holes abound. At first I thought it was the author being cutesy when he mentioned Einstein, then The Little Prince came up, then Eiffel Tower, then Doraemon (????), then mobius strips, telescopes, and finally The Beatles. Everyone that hears him fall about these things just thinks he's crazy, and it doesn't faze him at all that he's in a parallel dimension or something. But then it's never explained, and it's not like it's a major plot driver (until it's clear that NQ can go against Haotian and succeed because he's not of that world, thus her rules don't apply to him - why I'd like to see how they explain all this in EN2 since the concept of him being from another world is not explored in the drama.)

So from that perspective, it's keeping on theme, but CPP is the first one that cooks pan pizza, so... Not really lol. 

Gotta give it to CPP, our Master Inventor! :lol::lol::lol: Aside from pizza, who will forget his juicer and instant noodle? 

See, that's another resemblance to Joy of Life, all those references to modern life and icons. While Joy of Life does provide an explanation, I think it's the screenwriter's creativity, filling in the plothole of the original novel. 

1 hour ago, Lbpg said:

I'm okay with May/November romances, but we know the adaptation won't include any of that. They'll start filming before he turns 20, tho. Wonder what kind of stipulations he'll have in his contract to ensure the adaptation is extra-sanitary! 

Ah yes, I forgot that they plan to start shooting in March. I'm all for the extra-sanitary version! LOL. Still can't get myself excited for a teacher-pupil (disguised) romantic relations. From what I gathered, even the characters have around 12 year age-gap and Arthur's character starts as an underage student of Leo's? Needless to say it bothers me :D. But there's also several lifetimes plot, I think, that might show that they're destined to be together. I'm not sure how those things work or in what context though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caranita said:

Gotta give it to CPP, our Master Inventor! :lol::lol::lol: Aside from pizza, who will forget his juicer and instant noodle? 

It was cute/weird in 1, annoying in 2. He invents a self heating pot and I swear to God there was a scene that lasted for 30 seconds where it was just Fuzi quietly eating out of it on his own, while there was a big fight going on on the NQ side. It was such a weird directorial decision, other than to say they really needed the money (I think it was ppl, but I may be wrong. Why else do that??) 

See, that's another resemblance to Joy of Life, all those references to modern life and icons. While Joy of Life does provide an explanation, I think it's the screenwriter's creativity, filling in the plothole of the original novel. 

I totally appreciated that about joy of life on the first episode, I went to read the novel to confirm how it fit and it wasn't close on actual execution but aligned on theme. Regardless, you get an explanation. The ending of EN/Nightfall is heavily reliant on the concept of him being from another world (which is so weird to me, since it always feels like a tangential plot point throughout) so I can't wait to see how they deviate from it. 

Ah yes, I forgot that they plan to start shooting in March. I'm all for the extra-sanitary version! LOL. Still can't get myself excited for a teacher-pupil (disguised) romantic relations. From what I gathered, even the characters have around 12 year age-gap and Arthur's character starts as an underage student of Leo's? Needless to say it bothers me :D. But there's also several lifetimes plot, I think, that might show that they're destined to be together. I'm not sure how those things work or in what context though.

I don't think I've seen other bl adaptations, at least not knowingly, so I've no idea what's normal on how to make them acceptable for Chinese censors. But I can't believe they would keep the romance obvious at all. I'm very curious too! 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Arthur IF CNY greeting

Oh Arthur, please don't remind us about eating in moderation. I mean -- it's New Year! Time to gather with the family! Of course we're gonna eat like there's no tomorrow! :D 

BTW, thanks again @epinklyn for the constant supply of Arthur's news and updates :wub:. I agree with you, his Chinese New Year's pictures are always the happy one. It always warms my heart when I see him smile goofily, because most often than not he's quite guarded LOL. 

14 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Btw our boy change his Weibo's profile pic...

I saw that even him changing the profile pic made news! I think because he very rarely changes it? That Superman picture, too, had been there forever LOL. 

BTW, unsure if you gals have noticed it, but there's a significant increase of interest in Arthur. I noted that there are least 2 new Twitter accounts dedicated to him. The news  about the Husky drama has indeed heightened his profile. While I'm happy that he's gaining more international fans, I'm also wary of the consequences -- unnecessary fanwars, incessant shipping, etc. That thought alone sends shiver down my spine lololol. If that happens, I'll retreat to our happy little chat corner here. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, caranita said:

I saw that even him changing the profile pic made news! I think because he very rarely changes it? That Superman picture, too, had been there forever LOL. 

I *think* his original was from an American show called Archer (which is quite subversive and risque.. i always wondered if he was a fan, or just thought the pic was cool, or maybe because Archer sounds like Arthur? https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/archer)

1 hour ago, caranita said:

BTW, unsure if you gals have noticed it, but there's a significant increase of interest in Arthur. I noted that there are least 2 new Twitter accounts dedicated to him. The news  about the Husky drama has indeed heightened his profile. While I'm happy that he's gaining more international fans, I'm also wary of the consequences -- unnecessary fanwars, incessant shipping, etc. That thought alone sends shiver down my spine lololol. If that happens, I'll retreat to our happy little chat corner here. 

He's all over my IG feed now, whereas before it was like 2 accounts that would post under the hashtags i follow. Our happy corner is the best :) you ladies make it awesome :D:D :D 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Lbpg said:

I don't think I've seen other bl adaptations, at least not knowingly, so I've no idea what's normal on how to make them acceptable for Chinese censors. But I can't believe they would keep the romance obvious at all. I'm very curious too! 

Many people will refer to The Untamed, cleverly disguised as a bromance, but still hints at the romance feelings between the male leads. I haven't seen it so I can't tell how the director and writers did it :).  

3 hours ago, Lbpg said:

I *think* his original was from an American show called Archer (which is quite subversive and risque.. i always wondered if he was a fan, or just thought the pic was cool, or maybe because Archer sounds like Arthur?

Ahhh... thank you! The link was geoblocked, but I googled it. You're right, that's interesting. I think first maybe because Archer sounds like Arthur. He could be a fan too, or found the show... cool? You know how teens love provocative shows ;-).

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, caranita said:

Ahhh... thank you! The link was geoblocked, but I googled it. You're right, that's interesting. I think first maybe because Archer sounds like Arthur. He could be a fan too, or found the show... cool? You know how teens love provocative shows ;-).

Sure thing! And 40-somethings too hahaha. I watched a few episodes once with an old friend and while she was laughing hysterically I was sitting there like, what the heck did I just watch :joy: my husband also loved it. Ayayay

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

10 hours ago, Lbpg said:

I *think* his original was from an American show called Archer (which is quite subversive and risque.. i always wondered if he was a fan, or just thought the pic was cool, or maybe because Archer sounds like Arthur? https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/archer)

Omg i think it is the one! LOL

12 hours ago, caranita said:

Hahahaha i was not really noticed about it, but somewhow my IG is showing more arthur especially the ENs, and those make me happy since everybody missing of his NQ yeahhh! Back then the other NQ is hijacking arthur's hashtag, but i never removed it, and now it is back to our original NQ. And of course more and more about Husky drama. About twitter i dont know, i think i followed less about arthur.

7 hours ago, caranita said:

Ahhh... thank you! The link was geoblocked, but I googled it. You're right, that's interesting. I think first maybe because Archer sounds like Arthur. He could be a fan too, or found the show... cool? You know how teens love provocative shows ;-)

Yeah i even start my vpn to see it LOL.

7 hours ago, caranita said:

Many people will refer to The Untamed, cleverly disguised as a bromance, but still hints at the romance feelings between the male leads. I haven't seen it so I can't tell how the director and writers did it :).  

Yeah XZ n WYB's chemistry is on point! They like bestfriend, they like soulmate, no need to talk much but can understand each other really well, we can see through their eyes contact. Even the bts are so enjoyable to watch LOL. I think the success of the untamed because the follow the novel faithfully (outside the BL), and like you said cleverly disguised the BL into bromance but not that crystal clear bromance as well. You guys should watch it, well maybe for an introduction to "BL" LOL. I have only watched The Untamed, not yet the others like the Guardian. Since the story also fit with my preference (note: at first i have no idea the story is based on BL novel, i dont even know the word BL before LOL).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I have watched Guardian and the two leads are like platonic close friends so if Arthur chose to act in this new drama adaptation from BL novel, I guess it will be like that.  To an aspiring actor, I guess the character is one that will entice the actor Arthur to accept the role not the script itself.  Actors and fans do have different expectations.  This was what I learnt from my favorite actor.

When is Legend of Awakening going to be broadcast?  Want to see Arthur onscreen again.

When I read that EN2 will be airing I was surprised that LOA wasn't  broadcast as yet since this was filmed much earlier than EN2.  I have watched a few episodes of EN2 sadly Dylan don't understand the character he portrayed as NQ as it's no longer NQ of EN1 and I have to check the novel to confirm some scenes that I thought was out of character.  Where is the shameless, prideful and respectful NQ?  Also there's something wrong with the script writing.  The same actors in EN2 also couldn't save the drama.  It was disappointing as expected and I'm not going to continue to watch as there are better dramas out there currently to watch.  It's better to read the novel instead.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, caranita said:

Sorry for hijacking Arthur's thread, but here's to @Lbpg -- you may like to read this blog post on Joy of Life. The blogger loves Ever Night 1 too. She reads Nightfall and Joy of Life's original novels.

https://atouchofdrama.wordpress.com/2020/01/29/thoughts-on-joy-of-life/#more-3587

Thank you! :wub:  i'm working on 4 dramas at the moment (will be 5 in a couple of days haha) so JoL is out there, i'll definitely get back to it, and anything to help motivate me i appreciate!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lbpg said:

Thank you! :wub:  i'm working on 4 dramas at the moment (will be 5 in a couple of days haha) so JoL is out there, i'll definitely get back to it, and anything to help motivate me i appreciate!

You can go to JoL thread, and go to last 2 pages, there are BIG SPOILER from novel from member MaySenpai33, hopefully you will motivated watching it from reading those.

• Like 3