[Official Thread] Arthur Chen FeiYu [陈飞宇]

tothestars

12 hours ago, Lbpg said:

I watched clips from episodes and I couldn't tell if he dubbed his own voice or not. I thought he sounded different but maybe not? 

I'm also glad about the songs! (Edit: no, they're reusing the intro credits song, and even the Tan Weiwei song. I had to stop watching for a few. This is disappointing. It wasn't even a scene that merited its weight) 

8 hours ago, mei2018 said:

Wow! I really miss Arthur as NQ. The dubbed voice of WHD seem so strange to my ear.

So it's confirmed that Dylan was dubbed, right? I've seen only clips on my Twitter TL, and based on that I'm not too fond of the voice actor either. Gahhh... Arthur's voice and the eyebrows raising are some of my favorite NQ's traits. I thought the eyebrows were Arthur's habit as well, but I never saw him raising his eyebrows like that again since EN1, not even in My Best Summer! 

From comments, it also looks like the change in NQ's mannerism is quite large? Despite my personal grudges, I don't think it's all Dylan's fault. We know PD Yang Yang is very meticulous and specific, so I guess that's her interpretation (or the screenwriter's). Since I don't read the book, I don't know what NQ's character development is. 

Oh well, about the songs :(. I'll just have to accept it, like adults should LOL Sitar Tan's song always manages to tug my emotional string! :) 

13 hours ago, Lbpg said:

I'll be watching and comparing the whole time lol. My Arthur-colored glasses wouldn't let me do differently. Did you ladies notice how they blocked out his face in a flashback to EN1 in the one clip with Long Qing? :blink: (here, in case you missed it: https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4460245692476969

ETA: I'm glad they recapped s1 in the beginning, though they had to recycle Arthur to make it work, and in other bits they just re-recorded them with the new actors. Pretty jarring. 

Sigghhhh... I know they were trying to make a smooth transition, but honestly I'm a little offended, feeling like they just wanted to write Arthur off right away. People are and will still be comparing, it's inevitable. I still read people missing him, even those who back then during EN1 were critical of him. But anyway I hope it gets better for viewers' sake. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, caranita said:

So it's confirmed that Dylan was dubbed, right? I've seen only clips on my Twitter TL, and based on that I'm not too fond of the voice actor either. Gahhh... Arthur's voice and the eyebrows raising are some of my favorite NQ's traits. I thought the eyebrows were Arthur's habit as well, but I never saw him raising his eyebrows like that again since EN1, not even in My Best Summer! 

Yes he's dubbed by a voice actor. Tbh the way he sounds naturally, with the exception of his pitch (so screech) would've been alright for me as NQ, though he is very different from Arthur. But this NQ now is world weary in a way that Arthur's didn't get to be, per the story. 

Needless to say, beyond the visuals, the voice is very sorely missed! Ahh I'm sad again haha

From comments, it also looks like the change in NQ's mannerism is quite large? Despite my personal grudges, I don't think it's all Dylan's fault. We know PD Yang Yang is very meticulous and specific, so I guess that's her interpretation (or the screenwriter's). Since I don't read the book, I don't know what NQ's character development is. 

That's exactly what I thought. They must've written him in a way to provide more fan service than actual characterization / faithfulness to the source. DW could also be a one-note actor, idk yet, but his mannerisms are pure Dao MingSi. 

Oh well, about the songs :(. I'll just have to accept it, like adults should LOL Sitar Tan's song always manages to tug my emotional string! :) 

Me too!! I had to stop the video and get over my anger before proceeding. It was offensive. 

Sigghhhh... I know they were trying to make a smooth transition, but honestly I'm a little offended, feeling like they just wanted to write Arthur off right away.

Same here. When I first saw it my mouth was all :w00t: wtfffff honestly it's laughable, but yep, pretty insulting. 

People are and will still be comparing, it's inevitable. I still read people missing him, even those who back then during EN1 were critical of him. But anyway I hope it gets better for viewers' sake. 

My friend summarized what's being said on weibo:

"Let see, no one liked the dubbing, which I think affected their appraisal for DW’s performance.  All preferred YeHongyu 1 yo YeHongyu 2, except one zoey Meng hater.  Basically most people prefer the original cast over the new one.  One person got mad like you that they used the tan Wei Wei song in the wrong moment.  Also the names most bandied about in the posts are the Haotian girl and cfy.  A lot of wahhh why did cfy quit :joy:"

I wanna be wrong and love it, the story is so good, but so far I'm wondering if Arthur ended up dodging a bullet, you know? Lol

• Love 2

I dont know what to say, but watching 2 eps yesterday (not fully watch since it was already night), i feel hmm just not right, something is wrong, the plot or the chemistry or the actors or the background song, dont know... It hasnt piqued my attention yet, hopefully on the upcoming eps, it will get better, i will watch the full 2 eps tonight. I will reconsider whether i have to resubsribe for the vip, i have my member expired for Joy of Life on We TV app LOL.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, epinklyn said:

I will reconsider whether i have to resubsribe for the vip, i have my member expired for Joy of Life on We TV app LOL.

Yeah, I saw that you've been camping in the JoL forum!  :D (It's my current fave show too, personally think it's the best from 2019).

Sooo... I think Arthur's crew cut hair is for CKG's movie? He's already on his way to Paris with that styie :( . Sighh... and to think that we've been waiting for his hair to grow out only to have it cut again :D 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, caranita said:

Yeah, I saw that you've been camping in the JoL forum!  :D (It's my current fave show too, personally think it's the best from 2019).

Sooo... I think Arthur's crew cut hair is for CKG's movie? He's already on his way to Paris with that styie :( . Sighh... and to think that we've been waiting for his hair to grow out only to have it cut again :D 

LOL yeahhh i really love Joy of Life, all about it is so accurately made. Ming Lan also very good. 

Oh another Paris Men Fashion Week yeah? Oh well so he cut his hair back to "that" style because CKG need to reshoot the skating scene... :blink: why doesnt he just wear a hat to cover his head, it is winter though... Sigh... I wonder if his leg has fully recovered...

His weibo last night.

Screenshot-20200115-061940-Weibo-Intl.jp

• Love 2

1 hour ago, epinklyn said:

LOL yeahhh i really love Joy of Life, all about it is so accurately made. Ming Lan also very good. 

Oh another Paris Men Fashion Week yeah? Oh well so he cut his hair back to "that" style because CKG need to reshoot the skating scene... :blink: why doesnt he just wear a hat to cover his head, it is winter though... Sigh... I wonder if his leg has fully recovered...

I don't know if it's the same with you, but since the start Fan Xian reminds me a lot to NQ! They're both sorta outcast, rebellious, mischievous, and smart. They are also popular among their peers & always receive help from those with power or skills. Mao Ni seems to like writing his lead male characters like that, eh?

Interestingly, I find CFY & Zhang Ruoyun's portrayal of their respective characters are quite similar too, inspite of the different production crew. (Must say that JoL's writing is a lot better than EN though). And on another forum, someone complains that Dylan's NQ loses Arthur's grittiness which is more fitting to how NQ is written in the novel. 

20 hours ago, Lbpg said:

My friend summarized what's being said on weibo:

"Let see, no one liked the dubbing, which I think affected their appraisal for DW’s performance.  All preferred YeHongyu 1 yo YeHongyu 2, except one zoey Meng hater.  Basically most people prefer the original cast over the new one.  One person got mad like you that they used the tan Wei Wei song in the wrong moment.  Also the names most bandied about in the posts are the Haotian girl and cfy.  A lot of wahhh why did cfy quit :joy:"

I wanna be wrong and love it, the story is so good, but so far I'm wondering if Arthur ended up dodging a bullet, you know? Lol

Thank you (and your friend :) ) for the summary! I know it's still too early to make verdict, but I genuinely hope it'll get more enjoyable for you all to watch. 

I'm wondering if the drama suffered a last minute decision of TPTB to air it earlier than planned. IIRC, PD Yang once revealed that EN2 should be broadcast in summer 2020. They might have to rush the editing, hire voice actors since some of the actors were already committed to other projects, etc, to meet the new deadline. (Please bear in mind that I'm just guessing about this deadline thingy :) ). 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, caranita said:

I don't know if it's the same with you, but since the start Fan Xian reminds me a lot to NQ! They're both sorta outcast, rebellious, mischievous, and smart. They are also popular among their peers & always receive help from those with power or skills. Mao Ni seems to like writing his lead male characters like that, eh?

Interestingly, I find CFY & Zhang Ruoyun's portrayal of their respective characters are quite similar too, inspite of the different production crew. (Must say that JoL's writing is a lot better than EN though). And on another forum, someone complains that Dylan's NQ loses Arthur's grittiness which is more fitting to how NQ is written in the novel. 

Yeah quite the same feeling but Fan Xian is more open and care to everyone especially his friends n family, while NQ is only care to SS and his childhood friend Little Black and afterward the Academy Brothers n Sisters, NQ also only focus on his cultivation and revenge, non else, but maybe this is because the different between their childhood, although they both are outcast, but FX still receive love and prosperity from his grandmom and wuzhu, or maybe from the house's maids, that is why he only want to live peacefully and happy, but at the end because of the conspiracy he is forced to live other way to protect him self and his relatives.

But like you said, in their journey, both of them always receive and get attention from those elite.

I like watching micro expression, arthur have it, and zhang ruoyun nail it, they both read the novel and understand well the character, that is why they both succes capturing audience n novel reader heart, and me ofcourse :P

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, epinklyn said:

I like watching micro expression, arthur have it, and zhang ruoyun nail it, they both read the novel and understand well the character, that is why they both succes capturing audience n novel reader heart, and me of course :P

I think you just sold me on giving Joy of Life another try. I watched the first episode, it wasn't what I expected (in my mind, Mao Ni = Ever Night-like plot and tone for everything no matter what lol) When I saw it was like a comedy it was weird to me. 

Zhang Ruoyun, is he in EN too? He reminds me so much of the student that tries to get into the second story and spends all his time in the library when NQ does, but I'm not sure it's the same

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Lbpg said:

I think you just sold me on giving Joy of Life another try. I watched the first episode, it wasn't what I expected (in my mind, Mao Ni = Ever Night-like plot and tone for everything no matter what lol) When I saw it was like a comedy it was weird to me. 

Zhang Ruoyun, is he in EN too? He reminds me so much of the student that tries to get into the second story and spends all his time in the library when NQ does, but I'm not sure it's the same

Hahahaha yeah, the story was begin in comedy, many people find it strange too, different with the novel. But more and more eps you will find it getting darker, a lot of cuel politic and conspiracy. But still the drama version will be lighter than the novel.

Note: The adaptation is not faithfully like EN. 

But hopefully you will like it like we do (me and @caranita). The plot is faster than EN, i never skip watching all the supporting cast in Joy of Life, they are all very good. In EN i always skip most on Long Qing, Imperial story, and Xi Ling. 

Ah you mean the scholar from Nan Jing, i think he is too sweet and beautiful, Zhang RuoYun is very manly, has deep voice like Arthur. I think ZRY is more like Wang Jing Luo, the bad one who always stick on Third Prince in Academy, he also hate Ning Que.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, epinklyn said:

Hahahaha yeah, the story was begin in comedy, many people find it strange too, different with the novel. But more and more eps you will find it getting darker, a lot of cuel politic and conspiracy. But still the drama version will be lighter than the novel.

i knew about the politics and all that, why the comedy at first i was like.. what is this?? lol. ok, i have it on hold still, i'll come back some day :) working on like 4 dramas at the moment, and i don't even have time to watch :joy:

Ah you mean the scholar from Nan Jing, i think he is too sweet and beautiful, Zhang RuoYun is very manly, has deep voice like Arthur. I think ZRY is more like Wang Jing Luo, the bad one who always stick on Third Prince in Academy, he also hate Ning Que.

ok, sold again! anyone that's comparable to arthur has my vote :wub:

Speaking of... over on the EN2 thread i had to drop these because NQ wearing the secret bodyguard robes so randomly bothered me (unless he did it as a subversive act, but so far he's not behaved like he would do that...) so, ladies, enjoy a nice flashback :) 

Spoiler

Whats-App-Image-2020-01-14-at-10-30-51-P

Whats-App-Image-2020-01-14-at-10-31-06-P

Whats-App-Image-2020-01-14-at-10-31-41-P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lbpg said:

ok, sold again! anyone that's comparable to arthur has my vote :wub:

Hahahaha, i'll add one more, although his voice is deep but the way he sings is very soft, hmm like arthur right? LOL

You should watch Fan Xian when he drunk and reciting hundred poems, his voice omg!

1 hour ago, Lbpg said:

Speaking of... over on the EN2 thread i had to drop these because NQ wearing the secret bodyguard robes so randomly bothered me (unless he did it as a subversive act, but so far he's not behaved like he would do that...) so, ladies, enjoy a nice flashback :) 

Hhahahhaa it was exactly what i thought back then, how come he wear it like that? But still cute and elegant, youthful, it is our ning que :wub:

Something that arthur's Ning Que has but i havent seen it in DW's NQ, is the general-like charming aura... DW's aura is more rich boy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, epinklyn said:

Hahahaha, i'll add one more, although his voice is deep but the way he sings is very soft, hmm like arthur right? LOL

You should watch Fan Xian when he drunk and reciting hundred poems, his voice omg!

okay, i shall! 

9 minutes ago, epinklyn said:

Hhahahhaa it was exactly what i thought back then, how come he wear it like that? But still cute and elegant, youthful, it is our ning que :wub:

Something that arthur's Ning Que has but i havent seen it in DW's NQ, is the general-like charming aura... DW's aura is more rich boy.

well in that scene he had to cuz it was his first day. but then DW wearing them when he said goodbye to the royal family? what's up with that!?

the clothes drape on arthur's body so nicely. on dw they look like someone wrapped him in a loose bed sheet. poor guy lol. i'm trying to figure out what it is... so dw carries with him this daomingsi thing, and he's playing nq very similarly. so maybe that's what it is? i mean, his mannerisms are the same. i think it also doesn't help that the dubbing sounds like they're reading a script, so overall it doesn't feel like either the body or the voice are inhabiting the character. makes me want to stop en2 and just watch en1 again XD

• LOL 2

A BIG THANK YOU to all of you for all the news of CFY. It's great that he is gaining recognition with some awards. May he continues to get better and better as an actor. Am feeling proud of him.

Well, I was browsing for some dramas and I came upon EN2 so I came here immediately to confirm. I don't have any ill feelings towards Dylan (I have not watched any of his dramas thus I have no comment. I'm sure he worked hard!) but I am having mixed feelings about watching it. This is largely due to the fact that, just like most of you, in my heart, CFY as NQ is irreplaceable. Ah.... there goes my weak heart thinking about not seeing CFY as NQ in EN2. 

• Love 3

12 hours ago, Lbpg said:

11 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Note: The adaptation is not faithfully like EN. 

But hopefully you will like it like we do (me and @caranita). The plot is faster than EN, i never skip watching all the supporting cast in Joy of Life, they are all very good. In EN i always skip most on Long Qing, Imperial story, and Xi Ling. 

YEA!!! @Lbpg Joy of Life is highly recommended! You might have been taken aback by the comedy on episode 1, but trust me the comedy is there not for the sake of comedy. It's not slapstick a la Lingjian Mountain, but clever humor injection to an otherwise pretty dark story and serious plot. Most viewers enjoy the witty banters between characters, all characters are multidimensional, all the way to the side characters. Like @epinklyn said, this is not a faithful adaptation, but the brilliant screenwriter got the essence of it and retold the story in an intelligent and entertaining way. While it doesn't have EN's gorgeous cinematography and soundtrack and editing could've been a bit better, there's no dull moment, and the acting is top notch. Along the way you may  also notice its resemblance to EN (not just Ning Que and Fan Xian's characterization). 

11 hours ago, Lbpg said:

Ahhh... thank you! Agree with you, Arthur's well proportioned body makes clothes hang nicely on him. And that lovely ponytail!!! :wub::wub:

BTW, the net is getting ruckus about that BL novel drama adaptation rumored to cast Arthur. I don't know what to think about it. I don't mean to make it sound like Arthur is above this genre, but I don't really see the benefit for him. The way I see it, this project is more idol like. (I could be wrong though). He's still far from being an established actor, he's not even a traffic actor (yet). But at least Ever Night and My Best Summer made him more known to the general public, and frankly he has enough resources to participate in interesting projects. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, caranita said:

BTW, the net is getting ruckus about that BL novel drama adaptation rumored to cast Arthur. I don't know what to think about it. I don't mean to make it sound like Arthur is above this genre, but I don't really see the benefit for him. The way I see it, this project is more idol like. (I could be wrong though). He's still far from being an established actor, he's not even a traffic actor (yet). But at least Ever Night and My Best Summer made him more known to the general public, and frankly he has enough resources to participate in interesting projects. 

I am not a fan of this genre either. However, if he chose to participated in it, the script might be very good. ( I think about farewell my concubine.) Therefore, as an actor, he wish to try it. Also, since the script will definitely not explicit BL, it may be Ok.

I am supporting him whatever his decision might be.

• Love 2

9 hours ago, caranita said:

Ahhh... thank you! Agree with you, Arthur's well proportioned body makes clothes hang nicely on him. And that lovely ponytail!!! :wub::wub:

Ah i just realized that i read wrong, i thought @Lbpg talk about arthur's ning que, which he turn a bit the way he wear the secret bodyguard robe. I find it weird but still very cool! Turns out you talk about DW's NQ, i havent watched it, so i dont have clue LOL my bad!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

27 minutes ago, mei2018 said:

I am not a fan of this genre either. However, if he chose to participated in it, the script might be very good. ( I think about farewell my concubine.) Therefore, as an actor, he wish to try it. Also, since the script will definitely not explicit BL, it may be Ok.

I am supporting him whatever his decision might be.

Although i love the untamed series, the story is very good, but i dont like the way people n fans make xiaozhan n wang yibo as a couple, so many photoshopped images and painting of them into adult scenes, i dont want that happen to arthur. The script yes dont have any BL explicitly, but we cant stop people's wild mind and over thinking, so i prefer arthur dont accept it, unless... The script is changed, like there will be female lead accompany them as love triangle or anything like normal one. I am still keeping my finger crossed for this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Ah i just realized that i read wrong, i thought @Lbpg talk about arthur's ning que, which he turn a bit the way he wear the secret bodyguard robe. I find it weird but still very cool! Turns out you talk about DW's NQ, i havent watched it, so i dont have clue LOL my bad!

So far, you're not missing anything haha 

• LOL 1