[Official Thread] Arthur Chen FeiYu [陈飞宇]

tothestars

16 hours ago, mei2018 said:

Hello! there . Have anyone seen my motherland yet? How was it? Any news/review regrading CFY performance?

I haven't! But I'm planning to see it next week, if it's still in theatres!

Update:

Just bought the ticket for this coming Saturday! YAY!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, angelangie said:

what u guys think of Arthur with OuYang Nana :) she is a nice girl 

They've been linked together for the longest time, Angie! :)  There have been too many suspicious clothing coordination and whatnot, despite their (reportedly) unfriending each other on socmed. And we discussed here before, they have many, many things in common (characters, interests, etc. based on their interviews) so I won't be surprised if they've actually been dating for a long time. 

Congratulations to My People My Country for passing RMB 515 million on its second day!

And here's a short CFY video with Maoyan -- which is currently on Maoyan homepage!

https://m.maoyan.com/movie/1277939/preview?_v_=yes&videoId=103882&userId=77181714&share=iOS

ETA:

BTS of CFY and Liu Haoran in CKG's part in My People My Country (courtesy of LHR's fan account, as usual he he)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, angelangie said:

i think recently the rumors intensify on it lols :) 

They are still kids. They may be just closed friends. It is very normal to be strolling together if you meet each other in a foreign country. I am doing the same with my friend, same gender or not.

I will even had a good dinner with him/her.

If they are dating each other it is also normal. They are at the same age, having similar interest and somewhat similar background.

I feel good that they can still be like normal people, going for shopping with friends, dating etc..

It is much better than sacrificing all of your personal life to please (crazy) fans.

• Like 3

I just checked the Maoyan site, and per today My People My Country has gained close to RMB 900 million -- on the 3rd day of showing! Maybe tomorrow the movie will surpass RMB 1 billion. Fun fact: CFY and LHR spoke their dialogues in supposedly Mongolian accent :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, caranita said:

I just checked the Maoyan site, and per today My People My Country has gained close to RMB 900 million -- on the 3rd day of showing! Maybe tomorrow the movie will surpass RMB 1 billion. Fun fact: CFY and LHR spoke their dialogues in supposedly Mongolian accent :) 

Yey! 

Feiyu dubbed himself but LHR used the voice actor though. I saw a post from the voice actor n weibo. May be LHR does not have a time to do it himself as he is so busy now shooting aboard.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

17 hours ago, mei2018 said:

Yey! 

Feiyu dubbed himself but LHR used the voice actor though. I saw a post from the voice actor n weibo. May be LHR does not have a time to do it himself as he is so busy now shooting aboard.

Oh, that's too bad on LHR. Great that CFY dubbed himself, though :)

The animated movie Abominable, which CFY dubs as one of the main character, is also in the top 10 box office (currently ranked #4). So it's exciting to see TWO CFY's projects in the box office at the same time doing quite well! He's everywhere this year, LOL.

Abominable's Chinese version (yes, with CFY!) also gets wide theatrical release in the US. They're using an app, so people who want to watch the movie with the Chinese dubbing, will only need to use the app and earphones/headphones. According to the Cfensi blogger who had tried it, it works pretty well too. 

https://cfen.si/2019/09/27/chinese-dubs-of-abominable-available-in-all-u-s-theaters/

ETA: 

Just saw that Abominable topped US weekend box office chart!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello allll!

Here to report that I've watched My People, My Country :). The experience is a bit different from what I had after My Best Summer. If you remember, I was gushing about MBS, and I could barely wait to share the movie with you. I enjoyed MPMC alright, just not felt as emotional as with MBS. 

I think that comes from the fact the My People My Country is definitely targeted towards the Chinese citizens and/or diaspora. It's a propaganda movie, specifically made to celebrate the 70th anniversary of PRC. Being non-Chinese, I can't relate to the movie, even if some of the stories featured are familiar in my personal experience. And TBH, the incessant presence of the Chinese flag just grows the distance between me and the characters in the movie :). 

It IS well produced -- after all, you have 7 of the most prominent Chinese directors and their superstars. it's kinda fun to see these top actors all around and often times you only see them at a glimpse! I think Zhu Yilong only spoke a sentence, LOL. There are 7 segments in approx. 2.5 hr of movie, so you can imagine how short their screen time is. 

Surprisingly, Chen Kaige's segment (The Daylight Star) isn't my favorite, although I still consider it one of the best segments. My top pick is The Champion, which stars the child actor who played little Zhang Wuji in HSDS 2019! Those who have seen HSDS 2019 (poking @lynne22) most likely will remember how good of an actor he is, despite his young age.

Here's how Daylight Star goes:

Spoiler

Liu Haoran and CFY are orphaned brothers (LHR the older brother) of Mongolian descent. They survive by doing odd jobs and sometimes partake in criminal activities until they are recruited by a retiree to do something related to the return of two astronauts, whose space capsules land on the Inner Mongolia desert. Knowing that they don't have home, the retiree takes them to his own house, feeds them, gets them bathe and cut their hair, and gives them his son's old clothes. But LHR's character steals their money and he takes CFY to run away. They get caught by the police after they fight, since CFY pesters LHR to return the money. Much to their shock, the retiree claims that he has awarded them the money and asks the police to release them. Later  the three of them ride their horses to where the space capsules land. This is an inspirational segment, and CFY narrates it with his lovely voice :). The retiree gives the brothers a purpose in life and gains their trust. 

All the actors are really good, and the reason why I think CKG's segment is one of the best is because each actor receives pretty much equal screen time, while in the other segments it feels like there are many big stars who are barely shown throughout their segment. Moreover, the patriotic tone isn't too "in your face", if you know what I mean :). It's more subtle than most of the other segments. (The subtlety is also The Champion's strength, IMO). On the other hand, I think the editing could've been better.

In general, although I can't relate to the movie, it is really not bad. I only dislike the Hong Kong handover segment, because I think it's misleading. (I'm old enough to remember that prior to the handover there was a huge migration, obviously the Hong Kongers weren't too happy with the change of authority). 

Now I look forward to Youth! (aka Flowers Bloom from the Ashes). 

• Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, caranita said:

Hello allll!

Here to report that I've watched My People, My Country :). The experience is a bit different from what I had after My Best Summer. If you remember, I was gushing about MBS, and I could barely wait to share the movie with you. I enjoyed MPMC alright, just not felt as emotional as with MBS. 

I think that comes from the fact the My People My Country is definitely targeted towards the Chinese citizens and/or diaspora. It's a propaganda movie, specifically made to celebrate the 70th anniversary of PRC. Being non-Chinese, I can't relate to the movie, even if some of the stories featured are familiar in my personal experience. And TBH, the incessant presence of the Chinese flag just grows the distance between me and the characters in the movie :). 

It IS well produced -- after all, you have 7 of the most prominent Chinese directors and their superstars. it's kinda fun to see these top actors all around and often times you only see them at a glimpse! I think Zhu Yilong only spoke a sentence, LOL. There are 7 segments in approx. 2.5 hr of movie, so you can imagine how short their screen time is. 

Surprisingly, Chen Kaige's segment (The Daylight Star) isn't my favorite, although I still consider it one of the best segments. My top pick is The Champion, which stars the child actor who played little Zhang Wuji in HSDS 2019! Those who have seen HSDS 2019 (poking @lynne22) most likely will remember how good of an actor he is, despite his young age.

Here's how Daylight Star goes:

Hide contents

Liu Haoran and CFY are orphaned brothers (LHR the older brother) of Mongolian descent. They survive by doing odd jobs and sometimes partake in criminal activities until they are recruited by a retiree to do something related to the return of two astronauts, whose space capsules land on the Inner Mongolia desert. Knowing that they don't have home, the retiree takes them to his own house, feeds them, gets them bathe and cut their hair, and gives them his son's old clothes. But LHR's character steals their money and he takes CFY to run away. They get caught by the police after they fight, since CFY pesters LHR to return the money. Much to their shock, the retiree claims that he has awarded them the money and asks the police to release them. Later  the three of them ride their horses to where the space capsules land. This is an inspirational segment, and CFY narrates it with his lovely voice :). The retiree gives the brothers a purpose in life and gains their trust. 

All the actors are really good, and the reason why I think CKG's segment is one of the best is because each actor receives pretty much equal screen time, while in the other segments it feels like there are many big stars who are barely shown throughout their segment. Moreover, the patriotic tone isn't too "in your face", if you know what I mean :). It's more subtle than most of the other segments. (The subtlety is also The Champion's strength, IMO). On the other hand, I think the editing could've been better.

In general, although I can't relate to the movie, it is really not bad. I only dislike the Hong Kong handover segment, because I think it's misleading. (I'm old enough to remember that prior to the handover there was a huge migration, obviously the Hong Kongers weren't too happy with the change of authority). 

Now I look forward to Youth! (aka Flowers Bloom from the Ashes). 

Thank you so much for sharing with us. How was CFY and LHR ‘s acting?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mei2018 said:

Thank you so much for sharing with us. How was CFY and LHR ‘s acting?

They were really good and believable! Their faces already look alike (seriously, when I saw Ever Night trailer for the first time, I thought CFY was LHR!) so it's not a stretch, but the way they interact with each other are naturally brotherly. CFY is the rather naive younger brother who always looks up and follows what his older brother (LHR) tells him to, even lying for him. LHR is the older brother who is the breadwinner (and even commits crime because of that) and protect the two of them, but never trusts anyone. (PS: doesn't that sound like Ning Que & Sang Sang? LOL). 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

@mei2018 Here's an opinion about CFY's performance in My People My Country. Yes, he got the same impression with me!

http://group.mtime.com/20860/discussion/3963522/

PS. The author praises Chen Feiyu's Inner Mongolian dialect (when he narrates the story). I'm not familiar with the Mongolian dialect (I can only recognize Cantonese & Sichuanese dialects, but that's it LOL), so I can't comment on that. Great that people notice it!

"Me and my motherland": I was moved by Chen Feiyu's youthful feelings.

Add to favorites

2019-9-30 21:36:27

"My Mother and My Country" is a tribute to the 70th anniversary of the founding of China. It consists of seven famous directors and 56 popular actors who form a strong creative lineup. Seven small stories, each with different focuses, but all said It is a story of the great achievements of the motherland. It shows the success and progress of the motherland in all aspects. The film is hot, very beautiful and touching.

42bdcf65a5a74582ad8d288576af5638.jpeg

The short film directed by Chen Kaige is "White Cattle Meteor", starring his sons Chen Feiyu, Liu Yuran, Tian Zhuangzhuang and Jiang Shan. Chen Feiyu, who has always walked the idol route, changed his wandering children under the guidance of his father. The whole dress was very sharp, unkempt and ragged. Chen Feiyu did not try to sacrifice his value in "The Night", and he changed himself from a tall man to a handsome man. As a freshman of Nortel, Chen Feiyu's performance is not small, and he can't see his habitual micro-expression. This may have changed his habits through systematic learning.

a21fa5df714a47c3a3ad1ae2e9e87dbd.jpeg

I have been asking in my heart whether the styles of Chen Feiyu and Liu Yuran are too exaggerated. Is it that director Chen Kaige wants to completely eliminate the superiority of the actors in the city and turn them into villagers. Because the parents died, the two brothers of the family's four walls flew to themselves, and did not take the right path but stole the chicken and touched the dog to become a frequent visitor to the small management office.

2d60a6a891cb43dbbd3d72eb4015670f.jpeg

In fact, this short film reflects the story of the Shenzhou 11 spacecraft and poverty alleviation. The successful landing of the spaceship inspires the two brothers, Vodler and Hazard, to embark on the road to prosperity under the leadership of the old Li played by Tian Zhuangzhuang. The scriptwriter cleverly binds two unrelated things together. Although there is no objective connection, the whole spiritual essence is the same. There is no difficulty in the world. Our astronauts are able to ascend to heaven. Why does poverty limit imagination?

893b5f4b71044bda8aaec107f91d7569.jpeg

Good actors, regardless of the environment in which the characters are created, should accurately grasp the psychological changes of the characters, and feedback this information to the audience through their own performances, so that the audience can believe the role. Hazard, played by Chen Feiyu, did. In fact, he was a very simple boy, and everything was under the command of his brother. However, he has his own independent personality. When his brother stole the old Li family's medical treatment, this time Hazard resisted and opposed his brother's behavior, but his resistance was not enough, and he eventually obeyed his brother's leadership.

962a883da53846b1acf5ac9849e6403e.jpeg

Chen Feiyu’s performance was still serious and simple. He could have eaten with his face value, but he had to fight for acting. The impulsiveness, savage, questioning and kind nature of the juvenile have not been annihilated. Wardler is interested in Hazard, not only because they have blood relations, but also because Hazard relies on this brother. Hazab is purely innocent, and Ward is daring, but in any case, they still have sex in their hearts.

37445b8f200345f0a7ea05b28697b46c.jpeg

It is worthy of praise for Chen Feiyu, who is proficient in both Chinese and English. Because the background of the story is in Inner Mongolia, they have the ancestry of ethnic minorities, and the conditions do not allow the culture to be low, and they all speak dialects. Chen Feiyu's progress in this aspect of the line is also very big. The words are round and round, and there is no ambiguity. Even though it is a dialect, the audience can still hear clearly.

d9b936a6e19e458985505675e4135990.jpeg

The purpose of Chen Feiyu becoming a scavenging teenager is to restore the character's style in a specific environment. This has been done, and the degree of restoration is very high. And Liu Yuran, who has rich experience in acting, has not lost, and Chen Baiyu has not lost, showing just right, complementing each other and adding to each other. In fact, I am actually improving. The style of Chen Feiyu’s “sharp brother” is not inconsistent, but instead sets off the surprise after the transformation.

ac3436d1c894401e9a5ad7a8b6594903.jpeg

The success of the landing of the spacecraft No. 11 to motivate the changes of the two brothers, Vodler and Hazab, is also a good intention. Although the story is very short, Chen Feiyu's acting is undoubtedly worthy of praise, because this role shows that a young actor should have a positive and positive creative attitude, while giving the character a vivid texture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, lynne22 said:

@caranita so jelly!!!! I don't think My People, My Country will play in Indonesia's theater.. and Yes... I do agree that this movie is a propaganda movie.. lols.. 

It is screened in Singapore, so I figure the producers picked countries with significant number of Chinese diaspora? The theater I went to was almost full house, and the movie is screened in 3 theaters in Auckland, each having 3 showtimes, which is unheard of for most non-Hollywood movies. (Even local movies and British/Australian productions rarely gets multiple showtimes). 

A movie critic in South China Morning Post slams the movie as being "jingoistic" etc., and while I can agree with him to a certain extent, he clearly dismisses the fact that the movie IS mainly targeted to the Chinese communities. I think it's great to see a nationalistic theme from the ordinary people's point of view. This is a movie through which the Chinese mainlanders celebrate their accomplishments, although one can question if some of those accomplishments actually benefit the people (like China's first atomic bomb, or even the spacecraft). 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Ahhh thx u so much @caranita for the review, same faith with @lynne22 will never watch it in Indonesia... *crying*

He has been so busy these couple months, and i really really like his appearence in Paris Fashion Week for Loreal, together with the screening of My Motherland movie at the same time, somehow he really just show to everyone, he is an actor, he can be anyone, you can see him in every shape.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:23 AM, caranita said:

Their faces already look alike (seriously, when I saw Ever Night trailer for the first time, I thought CFY was LHR!)

Seriously! You are not kidding! LoL how come !!!

I am happy for your saying about their natural interactions and chemistry as brothers. I have seen the Motherland's BTS, how i wish i can see more of them, but i think it is all since the movie is short, yes?

About cfy and oynn, they really keep it so low profile, which make me on and off for shipping them LOL, but an LDR for two young hot star? Really? Dont know for how long it has been or gonna be, so either they are friend for these years or they really are an LDR couple (which really make me amazed and give them standing ovation LOL).

• Like 2

Hi all! I've been reading this thread for some times and I was also reading the thread of Ever Night! I watched EN in Dec 2018 and recently, I am re-watching it. It was this drama that introduced me to AC. In my own opinion, I find his portrayal as NQ very good for a 17-year-old newcomer. I did not read the novel but from the drama, I find his expressions in all scenes good (I actually feel the emotions and feelings). Would like to share some video links with all of you.

Back To The Field Vid 1 - The show he attended with He Lan Dou. Quite interesting. I don't understand everything as Mandarin is not my first language. Appreciate if anyone who has watched it could give us some interesting stuff found in the show :)

Back To The Field Vid 2

Back To The Field Vid 3

Press Conference for Abominable - Cr. Arthur Chen Fans (YT) - From this thread, I read some of you wanted to hear him speaking in English. In this video, not only he spoke in English, he was actually translating for the USA team who came for the conference. He did a great job as he did the translation on the spot. 

Have a good weekend everyone!

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

On 10/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, phoenix81 said:

Hi all! I've been reading this thread for some times and I was also reading the thread of Ever Night! I watched EN in Dec 2018 and recently, I am re-watching it. It was this drama that introduced me to AC. In my own opinion, I find his portrayal as NQ very good for a 17-year-old newcomer. I did not read the novel but from the drama, I find his expressions in all scenes good (I actually feel the emotions and feelings). Would like to share some video links with all of you.

Back To The Field Vid 1 - The show he attended with He Lan Dou. Quite interesting. I don't understand everything as Mandarin is not my first language. Appreciate if anyone who has watched it could give us some interesting stuff found in the show :)

Back To The Field Vid 2

Back To The Field Vid 3

Press Conference for Abominable - Cr. Arthur Chen Fans (YT) - From this thread, I read some of you wanted to hear him speaking in English. In this video, not only he spoke in English, he was actually translating for the USA team who came for the conference. He did a great job as he did the translation on the spot. 

Have a good weekend everyone!

Hi! So happy we have you here now! Welcome! 

Must be tiring reading two threads with hundred of pages! LOL!

Thank you for the links! Especially the Abominable one, i missed it... Finally another english speaking!! I think everyone were amazed and surprised with him, he suddenly translated that first question, since they never saw a translator standby on the stage LOL. 

About back to field, i think someone has posted the english subbed ones in here? No? 

• Like 2

Hello all! Thank you for welcoming me into the thread! It’s enjoyable reading this thread and the EN thread despite the 100++ pages. Now that I am re-watching EN, I can focus more on his expression. Previously, I watched in a haste because I was impatient how the drama will end. Moreover, I was focusing so much on the subtitles that at times I ‘missed’ the drama. Now I can really enjoy the entire drama! Though I am still ‘grieving’ over the fact CFY is not returning as NQ in Season 2, I have moved on. EN and My Best Summer and many of his interviews have shown and assured me that he is a fine actor and will continue to do his best in any projects that are given to him. Even in Secret Fruit, his 1st movie before EN, I could see potential in him as an actor. He has no prior training and his performance was quite good (though I don’t really enjoyed the movie) Hope to watch My people, My country since I read good reviews from some of you.

If there is an English sub for ‘Back to the Field’, please share. I would love to know every single thing that was being said in the show. Below are some scenes I really enjoyed but I might not have understood them completely with my very limited understanding of Mandarin. Please help me out! TQ!

The part where the veteran actor mentioned his 1st movie was when he was 19 years old, the same age as CFY now and the movie was directed by Chen Kai Ge. Moreover, Chen Hong is his good friend. He first met CFY when he was around 3-4 years old and mentioned about him being a chubby/fat boy, and that he carried him before. It turned out Cecilia Cheung (one of the participants who came with Ritchie Ren) also carried him before. And now that he’s such a tall guy. In another scene, the veteran actor said, ‘Never would I imagined Chen Kai Ge’s son singing and playing guitar in front of me while I’m cooking’. I just find that part hilarious because out of nowhere, CFY brought his guitar into the kitchen and sat in front of the man and started playing the guitar. It’s just so cute!

There were also a part during dinner where He Lan Dou (HLD) mentioned that there was a hospital scene in My Best summer where Yu Huai called her. She was not present that day coz there wasn’t any scenes of her but CFY really called her personal number and acted that scene (correct me if I misinterpreted what she said)

Another scene was after dinner. They were chatting in the living room (not sure what they were talking about) but CFY mentioned that when he was 16 years old, he actually met HLD. This part I am quite blur so help me out if I’m wrong. I think it was for the movie ‘My Best Summer’ and they waited for him for 2 years before he collaborated with HLD.  Then Peng Yu Cheng (one of the participants and he was also in the movie ‘My People My Country’ and also participated twice with CFY in Happy Camp) said to CFY, ‘The female lead in your 1st drama was the female lead for my idol drama’. Zhang Zi Feng (the young actress who voiced the female character in Abominable) interjected ‘Yes, the drama, Ever Night, Song Yi Ren. Then the veteran actor said that Song Yi Ren was his student. After that, I don't really understand their conversation.

Later, CFY shared that there was a forced kiss by HLD’s character in their movie ‘My Best Summer’. He shared that in that scene she was drunk and he tried to push her away but it was difficult. What he said made HLD felt shy and she said ‘No!!! That’s not how it was’!!! We can see the cheeky face of CFY!! They also re-enacted a scene from My Best Summer. I find that part quite hilarious especially when they chose Peng Yu Cheng to re-enact it with HLD while CFY become the director. He can really imitate his father’s voice!!

There was also a part where he showed Peng Yu Cheng different methods of exercising. He has that serious look.

I remember some of you really want to see him sing and play guitar, well, there were quite a few times he did that in the show. So, a bonus to all of us!!!

Again, appreciate if anyone of you could give a short translation of Back To The Field. Have a good week!

• Like 2