[Official Thread] Arthur Chen FeiYu [陈飞宇]

tothestars

Just watched all videos from the premiere event My Best Summer, one video took my attention, the one cfy said something to someone why did she/he not crying watching the movie. I wonder whom cfy talked to? 

And the reality show sweet mission Mango TV, he is smart but lose to word playing games and i feel that he was quite fierce and dominant to He LanDou, couple times he loud his voice to make He LanDou hear him, "Ting Wo De!" Cute He LanDou fear him LOL! Sadly i cant fully understand the conversation. Wishing someone give engsub and upload it.

• Like 3

Just came back from the movie, and it's almost midnite now, but I can't wait to write down my Best Summer experience (pun intended -- it's winter here hehe). I LOVE IT!!! It's not the deepest movie, quite lighthearted although there are emotional scenes. But it makes you smile a lot, particularly at the interaction between Geng Geng & Yu Huai. In short, it's a feel good movie, the kind that I can watch over and over again, seriously :))). 

I can see why there have been plenty of comments on Arthur's handsomeness. We all know he is handsome. But in this movie he is very, VERY charming. His chemistry with He Landou is off the chart. The way he looks at her is heart melting :love:. And his acting (as well as He Landou's) is very natural. He also emotes pretty well, the transition is good! I'm impressed with his improvement. IMO, his and HLD's acting, as well as their strong chemistry, is the strength of this movie. Despite my love for the movie, I admit the writing and the editing are quite problematic :grimace:

I would like to add that I'm also very impressed by He Landou. The story is told from Geng Geng's perspective, so obviously she has more screen time and monologues than Arthur. And she owns them! I love her portrayal of Geng Geng. Now I want to check her other works and her future projects too!

Spoiler

PS. Perhaps the fact that I haven't watched the With You drama nor read the book contributes to how I feel about the movie. From what I gathered from the comments, the characterization of Yu Huai -- and some supporting characters --  is different from the drama. The direction also emphasizes on the two leading characters, so the supporting characters can feel like merely cardboards. So those who love the drama will probably hate the movie, and that's where the negative comments came from. I think if one can regard this movie as a separate entity, a movie that's LOOSELY based on the novel, one can enjoy both the movie and the drama. But that's just my opinion hehe...

I'm mostly rambling here, because I don't want to spoil it. Anyway, it's a happy ending, so yay! Can't wait until it can be seen in a streaming site or something haha!

ETA. The cinema was not full house, but I think the turnout is pretty good (like half full). Most audience stayed until credit title was over! 

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, caranita said:

Just came back from the movie, and it's almost midnite now, but I can't wait to write down my Best Summer experience (pun intended -- it's winter here hehe). I LOVE IT!!! It's not the deepest movie, quite lighthearted although there are emotional scenes. But it makes you smile a lot, particularly at the interaction between Geng Geng & Yu Huai. In short, it's a feel good movie, the kind that I can watch over and over again, seriously :))). 

I can see why there have been plenty of comments on Arthur's handsomeness. We all know he is handsome. But in this movie he is very, VERY charming. His chemistry with He Landou is off the chart. The way he looks at her is heart melting :love:. And his acting (as well as He Landou's) is very natural. He also emotes pretty well, the transition is good! I'm impressed with his improvement. IMO, his and HLD's acting, as well as their strong chemistry, is the strength of this movie. Despite my love for the movie, I admit the writing and the editing are quite problematic :grimace:

I would like to add that I'm also very impressed by He Landou. The story is told from Geng Geng's perspective, so obviously she has more screen time and monologues than Arthur. And she owns them! I love her portrayal of Geng Geng. Now I want to check her other works and her future projects too!

Reveal hidden contents

PS. Perhaps the fact that I haven't watched the With You drama nor read the book contributes to how I feel about the movie. From what I gathered from the comments, the characterization of Yu Huai -- and some supporting characters --  is different from the drama. The direction also emphasizes on the two leading characters, so the supporting characters can feel like merely cardboards. So those who love the drama will probably hate the movie, and that's where the negative comments came from. I think if one can regard this movie as a separate entity, a movie that's LOOSELY based on the novel, one can enjoy both the movie and the drama. But that's just my opinion hehe...

I'm mostly rambling here, because I don't want to spoil it. Anyway, it's a happy ending, so yay! Can't wait until it can be seen in a streaming site or something haha!

ETA. The cinema was not full house, but I think the turnout is pretty good (like half full). Most audience stayed until credit title was over! 

Oh, I can't wait to experience it! Sounds like it'll be a great time. I already warned my friends I'd probably be squealing like an idiot hahaha seems it's really going to happen. 

Glad to hear the acting has improved! You can see some real confidence shining through in the trailers. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, caranita said:

Hide contents

PS. Perhaps the fact that I haven't watched the With You drama nor read the book contributes to how I feel about the movie. From what I gathered from the comments, the characterization of Yu Huai -- and some supporting characters --  is different from the drama. The direction also emphasizes on the two leading characters, so the supporting characters can feel like merely cardboards. So those who love the drama will probably hate the movie, and that's where the negative comments came from. I think if one can regard this movie as a separate entity, a movie that's LOOSELY based on the novel, one can enjoy both the movie and the drama. But that's just my opinion hehe..

Oh! I am so glad to hear from you. Most of the comments on weibo kept saying that he is super handsome. I was wondering about his acting. However, hearing from you it seem to be good. Some people even said that his acting has improved comparing with ever night.

Looks like most people were spellbound by his charm.LOL

Even some people who were very critical said that he is too handsome. LOL

His followers in weibo has been growing by hours, now it is 6.67 mil.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, mei2018 said:

Good! I'm glad more are discovering the treasure we found! :D but.. "too handsome"? That's not a problem is it? Hahaha I just hope he doesn't pick up Dylan Wang-style fans. They're creepy and he'd die with all that attention! 

By the way, his instagram is also creeping up. He finally broke 100k followers. If only EN had been on Netflix... 

• LOL 2

Videos

1. Offical from Cfy Studio

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4380666096243287/4380666194214743

Screenshot-20190607-231917-Weibo-Intl.jp

2. Teaser Reality Show will be aired on June 14th: Back to Field S3 with Arthur Chen, He LanDou, Richie Ren XianQi, Joe Chen QiaoEn, Cecilia Cheung PaZi, Joey Yung, etc...

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4380672811563778/4380693502987975

Screenshot-20190607-232010-Weibo-Intl.jp

46 minutes ago, Lbpg said:

Good! I'm glad more are discovering the treasure we found! :D but.. "too handsome"? That's not a problem is it? Hahaha I just hope he doesn't pick up Dylan Wang-style fans. They're creepy and he'd die with all that attention! 

Uhh. That would be too scary. 

• LOL 3

5 hours ago, caranita said:

Yes, I can see it too through the trailers like @Lbpg said, cfy's acting has improved a lot!, oh well i can only judge from the trailers sigh...

Questions!

1. What is wrong about the writing and editing? Writing in terms of scenario?

2. How are the songs? Are they inserted on the right places? I am a very soundtrack-detailed person :rolleyes:

3. Did you cry? *Important question* LOL

Ahhhh i want to seeee ittttt!!!! 

3 hours ago, mei2018 said:

Woww!! I dont really notice about his followers but that is good thing! More people will admire him, hopefully the ones who has never watched Ever Night, and they want to try to watch it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Lbpg said:

By the way, his instagram is also creeping up. He finally broke 100k followers. If only EN had been on Netflix... 

Oh pls just the normal fans, not the crazy extreme fans... 

Hopefully after this his fame will rise and more people request Ever Night on Netflix, ta daaaaa! 

• Love 1

On 6/8/2019 at 5:39 AM, epinklyn said:

Questions!

1. What is wrong about the writing and editing? Writing in terms of scenario?

2. How are the songs? Are they inserted on the right places? I am a very soundtrack-detailed person :rolleyes:

3. Did you cry? *Important question* LOL

3. I didn't cry, but I'm not a movie crying person. Also, I'm easily touched by movies about animals or animated movies than about people.

2. I don't think they utilize the songs  really well. The one sung by Silence Wang was played in an emotional scene, and Guang Liang's song was played at the credit title. I can't even remember when CFY's song was played. But may be I was too focused on the OTP? I definitely think I need to rewatch the movie to pay more attention to the music! :)))

Also, all the songs from the Evening Guests are not in the movie at all! I didn't pay attention to the credit title to see if they are cited. Personally, I think they MUST be credited. There have been a couple of comments from the Mainland Chinese -- which I believe is due to the trailers!

My personal observation on your first question: (I put it in spoiler tag so @Lbpg can skip it before she watches the movie LOL)

Spoiler

Although the movie's emphasis is on Geng Geng and Yu Huai, it doesn't give a sufficient background on the students' relationship with their teacher. For someone like me who didn't watch the original drama, I couldn't understand why the students cried in the last days of their school, prior to their college entrance examination. Why is their teacher special to them, what's the bond between them? The teacher's screen time in the movie is limited, but I think they could've made even the limited screen time effective with good writing. 

The situation in Yu Huai's house is also not explained well. I'm guessing his relationship with his mom shapes his behavior at school. We learn that his mom is a single parent, who sees her son's success at school as their only ticket to get out of poverty. She'd go as far as forcing the teacher to change Yu Huai's desk mates if she deems them negative influence to Yu Huai. The way she's portrayed makes her look like a one dimensional, unlikeable, ambitious parent. I thought there should've been a scene which shows her why she has to do that. 

Some characters like their classmate (played by Silence Wang) -- in the movie he's nicknamed "The Freak" but I think "Weirdo" is a more appropriate translation -- feel like merely add ons hehehe... although apparently he's necessary for the plot.  He sings in front of the whole school to express his love, but there's no reference before about him having this one-sided love. (Or maybe I missed that).

I also found their group singing on stage (which is featured in the first trailer) rather cheesy and cringey hehehe... 

Lastly, some of the scenes in the trailer, such as Yu Huai putting headphones on Geng Geng, or him playing guitar with Geng Geng singing, or them being on the ferry, were just inserted in the movie without dialogues. The teaser scene where Geng Geng almost kissed Yu Huai isn't even in the movie! This doesn't make sense at all to me.

I think the problem lies with:

a) The drama is used as the basis for the movie. But compressing 24 episodes to a 100-minute movie is ALWAYS a challenge. They have to be selective, of course, picking which highlights to put into the movie. And after the selection they need to make all arcs flow together smoothly and sensible. Having watched a few Chinese dramas adapted into movies, the only one that IMO does it decently is Love 020 movie. (It's also one of the rare cases in which I prefer the movie than the drama). 

b) While using the drama as the reference, the writer seems to decide to modify the characterization of Yu Huai and Geng Geng. Please note that I haven't watched the drama, but making this observation based on what I read about it. Geng Geng supposedly feels unconfident enrolling in a prestigious high school, but it doesn't really show in the movie. To me, she looks like she's quite confident with herself, but she just couldn't care less about the science subjects. As for Yu Huai, he's described as an ordinary, filial student in the drama, but in the movie he's quite a rebel. (PS: I don't see any problem with that, because back in high school I had classmates who skipped classes, had long hair and untucked their shirts (those were violations in my strict high school hahahha) but were also top ranked students.) 

c) They shot a lot of scenes but must abide by the time limitation for the movie. 

Despite my personal issues with the movie editing and writing, I still enjoyed it very much. I miss the movie and Yu Huai - Geng Geng already! I'm planning to catch up with the drama version sooner or at some later time. 

13 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Broke 1 Million audiences!

Actually they're celebrating the 100 million yuan marks at the box office! Which is not a small feat since they're competing with blockbusters (Dark Phoenix, Godzilla, and Chasing Dragon II). Don't forget that those blockbusters are also played in IMAX & 3Ds, which tickets are slightly pricier. While the movie may not be a smash hit, I hope it will have a longer sustaining power! As of now it already collects 139 million yuan. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, caranita said:

3. I didn't cry, but I'm not a movie crying person. Also, I'm easily touched by movies about animals or animated movies than about people.

2. I don't think they utilize the songs  really well. The one sung by Silence Wang was played in an emotional scene, and Guang Liang's song was played at the credit title. I can't even remember when CFY's song was played. But may be I was too focused on the OTP? I definitely think I need to rewatch the movie to pay more attention to the music! :)))

Also, all the songs from the Evening Guests are not in the movie at all! I didn't pay attention to the credit title to see if they are cited. Personally, I think they MUST be credited. There have been a couple of comments from the Mainland Chinese -- which I believe is due to the trailers!

My personal observation on your first question: (I put it in spoiler tag so @Lbpg can skip it before she watches the movie LOL)

LOL, i am fully understand for your observation about the plot, yes, all your question about teacher, Yu Huai's mom, etc they can be found in the drama, exclude the freak, he didnt exist in the drama, and also YuHuai family also didnt do much in the drama version, they more on GengGeng's family.

Totally agree, about compressing the 24 eps story into 100 minutes story is not an easy task, and like u said they have to choose which ones are highlighted more,  

and i think the drama version is already quite packed and really emphasize on each character's and their relationship, BUT they lacked in Yu Huai and GengGeng ending, and i think that is what the movie version try to fix.

Oh god i always cry for almost any sad scenes despite animation or not LOL! 

Ahhhh so the evening guest is only for trailers, i think they must credit them, maybe on the end credit that long section that i never watch and notice LOL. 

Thx u so much for the observation @caranita! I always like to read this kind of detailed review, cant wait for @Lbpg's, today right?

Actually they're celebrating the 100 million yuan marks at the box office! Which is not a small feat since they're competing with blockbusters (Dark Phoenix, Godzilla, and Chasing Dragon II). Don't forget that those blockbusters are also played in IMAX & 3Ds, which tickets are slightly pricier. While the movie may not be a smash hit, I hope it will have a longer sustaining power! As of now it already collects 139 million yuan. 

Wowww!!! That is a better fact! LOL sorry for the false information and thx for the correction. Yeah so many blockbuster competing in summer holiday movies! If they just distributed in another countries like south east asia, that would be great... But i think it is a small budget movie, not a blockbuster movie like wandering earth, wolf warrior and any superstar movie that surely will distributed around the globe.

with, um, Yang Chaoyue LOL. Ain't that ironic? :joy:

Ahh they were really shooting happy camp, i thought they only shot for Back To Field! Seems that the tall guy in My Best Summer also came. I think he is 190ish cm. Taller than cfy.

Hahahhaha cfy even in the same group with ycy yeah? Yellow group. Really tv knows how to make story/news ha, the preview cover and the description also wrote Cfy and Ycy names side by side, not cfy and hld sigh...

Another preview, Silence Wang also came with the tall guy. CFY will sing with his guitar!

https://m.mgtv.com/b/327224/5774902.html?t=videoshare&tc=jXKKosRPSAN7

• Like 1
  • Love 1