[Official Thread] Arthur Chen FeiYu [陈飞宇]

tothestars

Another article about Hao Yi Xing...

https://38jiejie.com/2020/01/21/leo-luo-and-arthur-chen-to-portray-the-dynamics-between-master-and-disciple-in-new-series-hao-yi-xing/

Based on the article, i think Mo Ran character is quite complicated, so in previous life, Mo Ran is Mo Wei Yu, he also the disciple of Chu WaNing (Leo's role), and somehow WeiYu for save his master, he did suicide, and he hate his master, and then he reborn as Mo Ran, which he hatred is still there, but eventually he realized that his master is always help him now n his previous life.

So yeah i think Mo Ran is a very good character for Arthur. Hopefully he has time to observe the character like he did for Ning Que, dont know if arthur read the novel LOL. But if you dont, you wont be able to understand the character right. 

7 hours ago, Lbpg said:

And back to the convo re: Arthur's new project, I just read some comments on Avenuex's community posts on YouTube that state his character would be quite difficult to play (i suppose if the adaptation is faithful at least in that regard). I don't really have an opinion on the genre, but him being selected for that would seem like a serious vote of confidence that he can pull it off. I hope that's the case

Somehow i still in doubt that maybe tencent selected him because his face is resemble with Mo Ran's face on the animated version, what a joke right. Since the picture is widely spread o the net. But i really hope i was wrong and arthur being selected because of his previous awesome job in EN, my best summer and my motherland, to be trusted to play Mo Ran which like @Lbpg said it is a difficult character.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, epinklyn said:

Another article about Hao Yi Xing...

https://38jiejie.com/2020/01/21/leo-luo-and-arthur-chen-to-portray-the-dynamics-between-master-and-disciple-in-new-series-hao-yi-xing/

Based on the article, i think Mo Ran character is quite complicated, so in previous life, Mo Ran is Mo Wei Yu, he also the disciple of Chu WaNing (Leo's role), and somehow WeiYu for save his master, he did suicide, and he hate his master, and then he reborn as Mo Ran, which he hatred is still there, but eventually he realized that his master is always help him now n his previous life.

So yeah i think Mo Ran is a very good character for Arthur. Hopefully he has time to observe the character like he did for Ning Que, dont know if arthur read the novel LOL. But if you dont, you wont be able to understand the character right. 

Somehow i still in doubt that maybe tencent selected him because his face is resemble with Mo Ran's face on the animated version, what a joke right. Since the picture is widely spread o the net. But i really hope i was wrong and arthur being selected because of his previous awesome job in EN, my best summer and my motherland, to be trusted to play Mo Ran which like @Lbpg said it is a difficult character.

Hehe you're probably right, he may have just gotten selected based on visuals, too 

• LOL 4

34 minutes ago, epinklyn said:

News about 4 rising stars i guess?

Saw this the other day too! It's a news from CCTV-6, the national broadcaster, about 4 rising actors in 2019. Glad to see Arthur featured there! (And with Jackson Yi, another one of my fave young actors).

18 hours ago, Lbpg said:

I don't really have an opinion on the genre, but him being selected for that would seem like a serious vote of confidence that he can pull it off. I hope that's the case

Though I agree with this, somehow I also feel like this project is another "compensation" to the Chens for the Ever Night 1 fiasco. I would like to know the other investors of the project, aside from Tencent. 

BTW, here's another picture of Arthur and Alex (taken from Alex's IG), with minimum/natural filter. Any other think here Arthur look more mature than his brother?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, caranita said:

Though I agree with this, somehow I also feel like this project is another "compensation" to the Chens for the Ever Night 1 fiasco. I would like to know the other investors of the project, aside from Tencent. 

I've heard other people say that about LoA, that it was to make up for not having him in EN2. Is there truth to that? I would've imagined they would've given him something with more visibility, if that's the case. LoA seems to be not very buzzy (but this one sure is)

3 hours ago, caranita said:

BTW, here's another picture of Arthur and Alex (taken from Alex's IG), with minimum/natural filter. Any other think here Arthur look more mature than his brother?

It seems his brother lost weight, too, he looks more handsome. But yes, Arthur definitely looks more polished/mature. I like that look on him, even thought it's got the buzz cut :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, angelangie said:

i think he proof he is able to project a difficult character and make it his skin :) 

100%!! so then maybe the resemblance to the character images is coincidental :) i always thought he looked a lot like the NQ image on the cover of the web novel, way more than some other guys *cough*

nightfall-193x278.jpg

4 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Li Xian is another :astonished:

58 minutes ago, Lbpg said:

I've heard other people say that about LoA, that it was to make up for not having him in EN2. Is there truth to that? I would've imagined they would've given him something with more visibility, if that's the case. LoA seems to be not very buzzy (but this one sure is)

I have heard of the same thing about LoA, though we'll probably never find out the truth. What I meant by "compensation" is there's also Tencent's efforts to keep good relations with the Chens. Don't get me wrong. I believe even without the Chen family background, Arthur might score the coveted role based on his own works, and post-EN1 popularity. Also, most book fans seem to love his visual (at least those I read on twitter, hahahahh... I can't be sure of the Chinese readers). But with CKG on board, even when not directly involved, there will be doors to better production crew (cinematographer, musicians, costume designer, etc.). Tencent certainly can afford the best crew, but at this point we don't even know how big Tencent's share in this production yet. 

I would also like to know about Legend of Awakening. 

1 hour ago, Lbpg said:

i always thought he looked a lot like the NQ image on the cover of the web novel, way more than some other guys *cough*

You know, the other NQ's fans swear that their guy 100% matches the NQ on that very same cover LOL. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, angelangie said:

well remember the moment when MaoNi praised Arthur on them casting him as NQ?

Yes! That comes to mind as I wonder what he thinks of what they've done to his novel. I wonder if the two years they took to adapt EN includes this season, since it feels so rushed and different. 

6 hours ago, caranita said:

I have heard of the same thing about LoA, though we'll probably never find out the truth. What I meant by "compensation" is there's also Tencent's efforts to keep good relations with the Chens. Don't get me wrong. I believe even without the Chen family background, Arthur might score the coveted role based on his own works, and post-EN1 popularity. Also, most book fans seem to love his visual (at least those I read on twitter, hahahahh... I can't be sure of the Chinese readers). But with CKG on board, even when not directly involved, there will be doors to better production crew (cinematographer, musicians, costume designer, etc.). Tencent certainly can afford the best crew, but at this point we don't even know how big Tencent's share in this production yet. 

I would also like to know about Legend of Awakening. 

Got it, that makes sense. I wonder how LoA will compare quality-wise to EN1, from that influence perspective, then. Hard to tell from the BTS. From the EN2 BTS I thought that was going to be an amazing production, so who can tell hahaha. 

You know, the other NQ's fans swear that their guy 100% matches the NQ on that very same cover LOL. 

Have they not seen his nose or chin? Uhh.. 

4 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Is this hinting another award for him?

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4463908409245719/4463924688945761

I hope so!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, angelangie said:

hmmm LOA director is Jordan Chan? the director of 'The Four' Movies staring DengChao and Liu YiFei?

I don't know them, but it sounds like it's a good thing? It seems to me like it's an idol drama so I wasn't sure what to expect 

• Like 2

Guy! This is really strange and may indicate that the promotion of the new series will be big. CFY  and LYZ series has not filmed yet but WeTV Thailand has already promoted it. 
The good thing for me is I will be able to see it for sure.

However, is it normal to start promoting a drama that has not even filmed yet?

• LOL 2
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, mei2018 said:

Guy! This is really strange and may indicate that the promotion of the new series will be big. CFY  and LYZ series has not filmed yet but WeTV Thailand has already promoted it. 

That's strange for sure, wow! They're really riding the The Untamed coattails. I wonder if they're trying also bank on people missing Arthur. This seems like a good time to get mileage out of the discontent from EN2. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, angelangie said:

well remember the moment when MaoNi praised Arthur on them casting him as NQ?

I was talking about it earlier! I personally see a lot of similarities between Ning Que and Fan Xian characters. And interestingly the way Arthur & Zhang Ruoyun portray their respective character are quite similar too, although EN & JoL have different directors & scriptwriters. ZRY is a more experienced actor, hence his acting is more nuanced, but his mannerism reminds me to Arthur's when playing NQ. As I see it, Mao Ni praised Arthur for interpreting NQ the way he was written. (For the record, credit should also be given to PD Yang who's very meticulous and specific.)

8 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Is this hinting another award for him?

I think this is the same clip for that CCTV news on the rising actors?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lbpg said:

That's strange for sure, wow! They're really riding the The Untamed coattails. I wonder if they're trying also bank on people missing Arthur. This seems like a good time to get mileage out of the discontent from EN2. 

Umm.. May be . Most Ever night1 fans in Thailand miss him and the 1st season casts.

They are still watching season2 but most agreed that the production and the script are not as good as season1. Now that the pillow book is aired, a lot of attention has shift to pillow book too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, angelangie said:

hmmm LOA director is Jordan Chan? the director of 'The Four' Movies staring DengChao and Liu YiFei?

If I remember correctly, Jordan Chan is the producer. (Can't remember who the director is). I want to be optimistic, but I remember Sword of Dynasty was produced by Feng Shaogang, and the drama is a mess. SoD has arguably a very strong wuxia vibe (which I LOVE), and the action choreography is excellent. But the writing and editing suck, and production value is low -- I can hardly believe it was from Feng Shaogang! :bawling:. I still want to finish it someday because I miss old-style wuxia very much and this one atm is the closest to those I watched growing up. But I gotta admit it's such a struggle. I hope Jordan did a way better job. 

5 hours ago, mei2018 said:

LOL, it''s strange indeeeedd!!!! But let's hope it's a hint that it IS going to be big.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mei2018 said:

Umm.. May be . Most Ever night1 fans in Thailand miss him and the 1st season casts.

They are still watching season2 but most agreed that the production and the script are not as good as season1. Now that the pillow book is aired, a lot of attention has shift to pillow book too.

The story is good, and most people are still invested in it. I think Dylan's international fans are contributing to the viewing numbers too, though I notice they didn't really discuss it (only a few). And of course some Dylan fans who have watched EN1 actually thought Arthur is better (or better fitting) as NQ, and his chemistry with SYR outdoes the EN2 OTP.

Case in point (just read the thread):

• Like 3

2 hours ago, caranita said:

The story is good, and most people are still invested in it. I think Dylan's international fans are contributing to the viewing numbers too, though I notice they didn't really discuss it (only a few). And of course some Dylan fans who have watched EN1 actually thought Arthur is better (or better fitting) as NQ, and his chemistry with SYR outdoes the EN2 OTP.

Case in point (just read the thread):

I find it interesting that their chemistry is so lacking, when in real life they appear to have some sort of friendship (this should make it easier, right?). But I suppose the chemistry to be had with another actress who's playing someone who used to be a maid/daughter/sibling/etc.. as now a lover, that's not easy for anyone. I have my doubts that Arthur would've done a great job (as a lover), but at least we would've been getting what we already expected in NQ. 

I'm still not convinced that DW is good. He barely acted on MG, I believe he's stated himself how close DMS is to his own personality. So having to play freaking NQ as his first true acting gig is unfair to him. Add to that the fact he wasn't familiar with the source material and he (probably) didn't have the months in advance to get to know his leading lady, and the handicap gets even larger. I'm glad the fangirls noticed :) 

I'm also noticing the ratings on MDL and Viki are getting wider apart between 1 and 2:

End of last week:

EN1: 8.6

EN2: 8.2 (it was 8.9 the day it started airing)

Today:

EN1: 8.7 (ha! it went up)

EN2: 8.0

On Viki, EN2 went from 8.8 to 8.6 today, but you get way more people rating things as "10" on Viki than you do on MDL. EN1 on Viki is at 9.4.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, angelangie said:

actually YiRen and Dylan does have a sort of chemistry in the series however after seeing Arthur as NingQue with YiRen, it is really hard to accept SangSang with another NingQue, infact i find it easier to accept Dylan if they change YiRen together with Arthur.....

on personal opinion i do not thnk Dylan make the cut for period drama....he do better in modern flick

I tuned out or fast-forwarded all the lovey-dovey scenes so I didn't catch that kind of chemistry. His facial expressions were reminding me of Jim Carey in the Ace Ventura movies, so I just couldn't... lol.

For reference:

bd89b300e42681995758014635a90318.jpg

jim-carrey-as-ace-ventura.jpg

(is that mean? :joy:)

• LOL 3

20 minutes ago, angelangie said:

come and join me at 'Under the Power' hahaha despite some of the poor CGI u might like it, the OTP chemistry is damn great :D 

Love me some awesome chemistry. I'm watching mostly kdramas these days, but good is good :) I see Viki has it as "coming soon".. is it on wetv?

Never mind, just found it on youtube ;) i'll check it out and check back in this weekend!

• Like 2