[Thai BL Drama 2019] Theory of Love ทฤษฎีจีบเธอ

Jin_mi

1 hour ago, aniola said:

Finally watched last week episode. Oh, such an emotional rollercoasters!

I was glad that the truth came out about Ching Ching...intitally I thought maybe there is more than meets the eye...but since Kai didn't defend himself...I figured he feel off the wagon..so I'm glad it was Ching Ching who initiated...

21 minutes ago, tiny06 said:

And is so sad that now that the series found it's balance and is so amazing and adorable to watch, and not only Third and Khai, but all the four main characters are having a great story. it's going to end =/

Very true...I felt the same way about  HCTM.   There is nothing much left of the story after E12 other than the " special chapters: If they can close the loop on Too and Un in E12 then I'm satisfied. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, deltos said:

Very true...I felt the same way about  HCTM.   There is nothing much left of the story after E12 other than the " special chapters: If they can close the loop on Too and Un in E12 then I'm satisfied. 

You say there's nothing left. I agree. Mainly in the case of HCTM, but in this particular case I guess there's the opportunity of creating a new adventure, you know, I just think it's fair to have the curiosity to see how a half supernatural half human gay couple would face normal people problems, And Ohm's character itself, he's a non stereotypical gay in love with a ghost, and also been open to a new world(the gay world)

Coming back to TOL, They can have a satisfying ending, and they will have. but now, this moments we're having in this late epsodes should have taken more time, or maybe they could go further, but seems that in this bl thai world is just about complete the adaptation of the novel, and done. C'mon We're never getting a BL series with the same amouth of seasons as friends or big bang  theory?!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

18 minutes ago, tiny06 said:

You say there's nothing left. I agree. Mainly in the case of HCTM, but in this particular case I guess there's the opportunity of creating a new adventure, you know, I just think it's fair to have the curiosity to see how a half supernatural half human gay couple would face normal people problems, And Ohm's character itself, he's a non stereotypical gay in love with a ghost, and also been open to a new world(the gay world)

Sorry bad sentence...there is more to the story in HCTM and I would hope they finish it..that flushes out the "new relationship" and other things.

21 minutes ago, tiny06 said:

C'mon We're never getting a BL series with the same amouth of seasons as friends or big bang  theory?!

The closest to a multiple episode/multiple season  BL series has been LoveSick ,  there were 12 Episodes in season one and 36 Episodes in season 2. TWM has had 3 seasons of maxtul.( hearing rumblings about a 4th season).  But that's about it for longevity.  I see two problems with the genre:
1) Most if not all are based on BL novels- when you run out of novel you run out of story. It would be like trying to make another LOTR  based solely on characters - it would require an original screenplay. Shows like the ones you mentioned are original - you can just keep writing episodes until you run out of ideas or the rating drop ...LOL Not so much with these BL series - they are done when the story is done. Now the brilliance exists when you have directors and screen writers who can adapt the novel and give you a little more ( HCTM, TOL, 2M2) and still they face the same when the novel is done. it's done.

2) Most of the actors are st8 guys trying to break into the business and will give one or two seasons - after that they want to transition into mainstream series. They don't want to be locked down into BL...It's not like you have out gay actors in these roles...who could perhaps hang in there for the long haul...Since no one has come out...I can only assume ( gaydar not withstanding) they all are str8. MaxTul maybe the exception - legends. They go all in and do what has to be done..and get paid  and they do other series/movies too that are not BL...but they know where their bread and butter resides. 

So maybe, there is a screen writer out there will to pitch something original ( trope free). Only time will tell until then...we go with what we have.  Now I am hoping that TOL will have an extended last episode like HCTM...longer than an hour. That would be nice.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

@deltos I  see the thing you point out

I'll just  add some of my thoughts, and thanks in advance for the conversation, You're a very clever person. 

My analysis is like from someone who understands less than you this world.

1) I see money as a problem. because if you'll invest you need to make money with the product(the series itself), you need to have the support of the sponsors and etc. for example, TOL (I'm sorry I coudn't  get the abbreviations from the BL's you mentioned) is at YouTube.

I mean I would pay o monthly subinscription to watch The GMMTV series. I don't know why (It really woudn't be lucrative?!) line stream service is not available in Brazil, even a south korea stream service is coming to here. 

2) the vision and the analysis of who run's the show. Who has the money to invest, they must believe that things must be bigger, and they could hit a bigger market. 

3) the quality of the product and the audience it's aimed for

It's gets me very frustrated to see all this amazing series, many of them just aimed(not completely) for "fujoshi girls" . is it just because they buy tickets for the fan meetings? 

But some like HCTM and TOL are ready to be mainstream, I think, thousand of gay men around the world will support these kind of series, of course if they increase the quality of th stories they tell, and  aim for the right audience, including straight people.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, tiny06 said:

I'll just  add some of my thoughts, and thanks in advance for the conversation, You're a very clever person. 

My analysis is like from someone who understands less than you this world.

Ah..never say that - we are all here and have something to add ! Perspective matters :D The only difference is history and those stories can be told. 

7 minutes ago, tiny06 said:

1) I see money as a problem. because if you'll invest you need to make money with the product(the series itself), you need to have the support of the sponsors and etc. for example, TOL (I'm sorry I coudn't  get the abbreviations from the BL's you mentioned) is at YouTube.

I mean I would pay o monthly subinscription to watch The GMMTV series. I don't know why (It really woudn't be lucrative?!) line stream service is not available in Brazil, even a south korea stream service is coming to here. 

Definitely !  You can tell the series that have an abundant cash flow from marketing to post production. And I would assume the actors are paid well.  Theory of Love ( TOL ) HCTM ( He's coming to me ) 2m2 (2Moons2).Together with me ( TWM) ..the down side of being into BL dramas everything is reduce to acronyms :joy:.  Gmmtv is ( I believe ) the largest company and they have just gotten on board with YT and subs.  Some of the smaller houses figured out a while back where and who  the viewership is.  TWM was really one of the first BL series to air fully sub. Gmmtv ( for as large as it is ) hasn't gotten to that level ( yet ). 

13 minutes ago, tiny06 said:

But some like HCTM and TOL are ready to be mainstream, I think, thousand of gay men around the world will support these kind of series, of course if they increase the quality of th stories they tell, and  aim for the right audience, including straight people.

Remember the novels ? They are written by females for females - aged  (15 - 18 ). They aren't written for us gay men and for years gay men didn't watch because...oh so many reasons...however that is changing. Even  fb and ig groups have more gay guys contributing. Another thing is you have more out gay directors who are taking the novels and putting a male POV out there.  Same story just viewed differently. So yeah, the winds of change are happening. The first half of this year we have had some outstanding series which have captured the attention of a wider viewing audience.  I hope that can continue with the line up we have for the fall and winter.  ( or sept - December)

27 minutes ago, tiny06 said:

It's gets me very frustrated to see all this amazing series, many of them just aimed(not completely) for "fujoshi girls" . is it just because they buy tickets for the fan meetings? 

Sure that too !  Although I jus dropped 70 usd to get the covers of OffGun from their most recent magazine shoot...collectors item... and that's something else has changed, a willingness to ship internationally. While I may not buy a fan meet ticket, I will buy merchandise and goods..and that's money in the coffers for them.  I do stand corrected on one thing - the Taiwanese BL's ( History ) do have a wider audience. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, deltos said:

So maybe, there is a screen writer out there will to pitch something original ( trope free).

I think to find a good screen writer for original story is the main problem. I think both HICTM and ToL could have interesting continuation but it just hard for me to believe it would be written on a decent level. 

15 hours ago, deltos said:

Gmmtv is ( I believe ) the largest company and they have just gotten on board with YT and subs.

How so if they've putted sub into all their series since "Room alone" about 3-4 years ago. Back then they just did it not as fast as they're doing now. (Yes, i think two days is fast.) In time of Sotus s1 and Puppy Honey s2 it was month if i remember correctly.))

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, aniola said:

I think to find a good screen writer for original story is the main problem. I think both HICTM and ToL could have interesting continuation but it just hard for me to believe it would be written on a decent level. 

Well HCTM still has story left - so that wouldn't be that difficult. TOL on the other hand ends where it ends..then the "special chapters" although it seemed to be left with a TBC ( to be continued) 

Spoiler

after Third passed out 

I'm thinking more of a brand new series written from the imagination of a screen writer. There is no novel to follow or read and maybe just maybe you could get a multi-episode weekly BL series that lasts longer than 12/13 episodes. 

42 minutes ago, aniola said:

How so if they've putted sub into all their series since "Room alone" about 3-4 years ago. Back then they just did it not as fast as they're doing now. (Yes, i think two days is fast.) In time of Sotus s1 and Puppy Honey s2 it was month if i remember correctly.))

Oh those subs were so bad that I didn't even consider them English - I watched them raw.  I guess my point is if Mello and Thunder can put out subs at airing - then a mega company like gmm should be able to do the same thing...having more resources.  I don't think they have totally bought into the impact of the international audiences...which is ok in a sense, their shows and series were't made for an international audience to begin with...however the world is watching and many people just don't watch and wait for the subs. That's missing revenue. Additionally, YT is the last stop for them...if you have access to Linetv or other channels via VPN you can catch TOL earlier. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, deltos said:

Oh those subs were so bad that I didn't even consider them English - I watched them raw.

Didn't know about it. Then at least i give them + for trying.:lol:

53 minutes ago, deltos said:

I guess my point is if Mello and Thunder can put out subs at airing

I don't know how it was with TWM, but since subs for 2m2 are made by Anusorn and Pavel themselves i thought that we just get lucky with the team with good english level.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

47 minutes ago, aniola said:

I don't know how it was with TWM, but since subs for 2m2 are made by Anusorn and Pavel themselves i thought that we just get lucky with the team with good english level.

I don't know who did the subs for TWM..it could have been Tul who is fluent in English. I do know that Joss and Tay are fluent at gmm...so maybe DBK could be subbed as it airs.. I know 3 will be free was subbed before TOL this week.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, deltos said:

I do know that Joss and Tay are fluent at gmm...so maybe DBK could be subbed as it airs.. I know 3 will be free was subbed before TOL this week.

Since gmm do subs for their series and some other yt-video constantly now, i think they just have hired translator for this job. I mean such big company should be able to afford it. May be they deliberately don't put subs right away? Or they don't give their translator to watch and work with an episode in advance for some reason?

3WBF aired day earlier that ToL, so i guess it's logical that it was done first.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

On 8/5/2019 at 8:01 PM, gogole mongol said:

I remember in my youth to only have sexual attraction for boys when i was a teen, even if i had a deep friendship for three years with a girl. We were officially a couple, however, we never kissed, i just tried to do what my student colleagues does all around me. I think there is many ways to discover you are gay, Un attraction for Two is another exemple.

Never kissed in three years - that is slower than the 2 Moons script :).

Lots of things can influence people. Cultural requirements, who you hang out with. There is also a safety zone of being able to go out with somebody because you know that sexual interaction will not be necessary. You might not be attracted to guys but you do know that you aren't attracted to girls. There may come a moment of enlightenment when things go to the next stage and you realise that you can't. (That scenario plays a major part in the film Boy Erased)

In that respect I can see that the kiss test is possibly valid but not on its own. There is the suggestion that it is kissing the girl that makes the difference. I might suggest that it is the not really wanting to in the first case that is the difference.

I think that is why I have a hard time with Khai's character. He has no problem with taking girls to bed, so he certainly functions at the mental as well as physical level. He shows no real affection for any of his conquests. The only difference between them and Third is that they get treated better so long as sex is the end result. I can accept that Khai suddenly realises that he really misses his friend, but to the point that he wants to have sex with him ? The kiss test works in the other direction as well.

I have watched some of the Un/Two interactions again and there might be more there than I had previously noticed. Whilst Two and Lynn are supposedly going out there has been no suggestion that they have progressed further than a possible meal, work and a lift to uni.

• Like 4

On 8/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, gogole mongol said:

As you, i'm not a Khai's fan, because his behaviouring is the one of an idiot! However, i'm sure, deeply hidden in himself, he have a real quest for love.And for now, he constantly act as a crazy guy to express oneself! His fundamental question is which kind of love he want (and with who) to reach a stable and well-balanced state of mind! For now, he publicly proclaim his feeling for third, and i don't believe it is a new game for him. I'm ready to bet one € on it! I also think he must have his "Way of the cross" moment, because his recent past toward Third isn't the real way to become an angel! I prefer believe he just discover his redemption road, and it is good he must to walk on a few times! So sincere or not? Only next eps will show us, and i guess new misunderstanding are coming...just what my emotion's quest need!

I think he acts like a selfish brat because that is what he is.

Khai seeks sexual gratification, end of story. I am surprised that he can get girls to go out with him. His name/reputation ought to be mud at the university.

Isn't the chase more interesting when the prey is hard to get ? Third actually turned his back on Khai, for the first time showing some form of independence. That clearly had an effect on Khai ; I am just not convinced that his intentions are good ones as opposed to simply bring Third back under his total influence.

To be honest I would have recommended that Third go for counselling ages ago.

• Like 3

On 8/11/2019 at 1:49 PM, deltos said:

And even then..there is this, dare I say voyeuristic lens which exists -  we want to see it all...Case in point...the level of disappointment  being expressed by about the interaction between the 2 characters ( in that other 2 series) is mind boggling... I mean when you start a thread that says, " please post your opinions here if you were disappoint in the bed scene..." ya gotta wonder...

Good grief ! Seriously ?

They are lucky, I have read the books, the sex scenes are awful. Putting them on screen could traumatise young people for decades.

Considering the target audience... and I shall stop myself there because these books were not necessarily written for the same audience that the TV companies are hoping to get.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

On 8/14/2019 at 1:21 AM, tiny06 said:

And I almost forgot the soundtrack, the instrumental songs are fitting perfectly the situations, helping the emotions

You beat me to it. The theme song is (to my ears) really good. Too often the theme for these series are a slow, unmemorable nothing (Jump to 3 minutes and continue watching music).

Worse yet, sung by one or more of the actors - who can't sing.

This time around we have something memorable. Said by someone who uses 'Shake' as the alarm on his phone. A bright and breezy way to start the day.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

31 minutes ago, dustinmyeye said:

Good grief ! Seriously ?

They are lucky, I have read the books, the sex scenes are awful. Putting them on screen could traumatise young people for decades.

Considering the target audience... and I shall stop myself there because these books were not necessarily written for the same audience that the TV companies are hoping to get.

:joy: Seriously !  Awful is an understatement...based on what I've read, seeing it on screen it would be like watching Circus Soleil .." how'd they do that? "  I guess they expect a QAF moment..LOL and that was ground breaking also on cable..although I will say WTD and TWM came close. The buzz right now for TOL is " will they include the " special chapter "  aka the "do it" chapter in the final episode. So I guess we will see tomorrow ! :phew:  The actors and director from Trapped got a severe beat down from fans because of the absence of " that scene" in a particular episode. it was epic blood letting...director had to shut down her IG..it was terrible to say the least...:crazy:. Yeah I guess audience matters...the bigger question is what matters with the audience...lol

37 minutes ago, dustinmyeye said:

You beat me to it. The theme song is (to my ears) really good. Too often the theme for these series are a slow, unmemorable nothing (Jump to 3 minutes and continue watching music).

Worse yet, sung by one or more of the actors - who can't sing.

This time around we have something memorable. Said by someone who uses 'Shake' as the alarm on his phone. A bright and breezy way to start the day.

Awww you can't argue with Shake...you hear the intro and you know ! One of the best. I really like Getsunova's OST for TOL...and I think when ever I hear Fake Protagonist/Hero  I'll think TOL ( which I think is what is supposed to happen with OST's ..lol) . They have used the song  with so many different renditions...which doesn't always happen because the song isn't constructed well enough to just pull out a measure here or there...not to mention, they are one of the few groups to re-cord and release the OST  sung in English. 

Ok see now...I've got to go and pull up the Shake MV...:lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

One of the things I really liked about TOL was their marketing concept for the series... and no, I did not do this compilation....some fan with lots of time on twitter did it !  :lol:

ecapey5uiaamkbq.jpeg

A great cast !  And the Pan/Bone side story...was exactly that..a side story..didn't spill into the ML storyline. 

screen-shot-2019-08-11-at-8.00.15-pm.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dustinmyeye said:

Never kissed in three years - that is slower than the 2 Moons script :).

Ha ha ha, excellent reference! I think it's better to feel like doing it, and it was never the case  ha ha ha, even she was nice and gentle! I felt well with her, so i was more attracted with his brother!!! I never been into the neutral zone, actually i didn't know the reason why, but it was an evidence girls will never cement with me. At that time, i was a platonic lover, sexual affair wasn't my priority. But i never to envisage to have a future monk's life!!!

(but today's mon'k's life are full of troubles with guys)

• Like 1