[Drama 2019] Moment of Eighteen / 18, 열여덟의 순간

0ly40

8 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Soo-Bin's Mom is so different from Jun-Woo's.. Despite them both bein' single moms, Jun-Woo's is supportive & loving though weak hearted LoL. Soo-Bin's Mom I think she seem to want the best for her daughter but it look more like she wants to show Soo-Bin off? Typical of Asian parents I guess.. 

SooBin's mom isn't a single mom though. She just has a pretty absent husband (and SuBin has a pretty absent dad). And she grumbles about being married to someone as useless as him, LOL.

Well, I wouldn't say SuBin's mom is pushing SuBin just because of peer pressure. In their fight, it was revealed that Mom herself is a graduate of SNU so she does well academically and her profile pic is "net", like some kind of logo of a company. She seems like a high ranking manager at a corporation and knows how disadvantaged women are in the working world and how much better they have to be compared to the men to even be thought of as competent. I get the feeling that she wants to try and mitigate the effects of gender inequality in her daughter's future even if it means she has to push SuBin now. I get the sense that she doesn't feel like SuBin can't make it. After all, she did, herself. It's that SuBin just doesn't apply herself and strive with her best abilities. As long as SuBin works hard and has the right help, Mom is certain that she will excel academically and so that's what she tries to provide. Also maybe because she wants SuBin to be independent, seeing how her own marriage turned out.

On the other hand, SuBin is certain of the shortcomings in her abilities and feels like she can't make the cut no matter how much she tries. 

So there's some friction between the two, but I'm pretty sure there's enough love between them to smooth over any conflicts what come may.

Unlike HwiYoung and his abusive father. I kinda just pity him.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LoL I'm smiling with glee over how dismissive Jun-Woo was when Ro-Mi showed interest!:P Her dad seem like a sweet man. Normally sweet parents have well mannered kids, this doesn't apply to Ro-Mi-_- It look like Ro-Mi could've said somethin' disparaging(?) not sure need subs to confirm. And that sort of what set Soo-Bin's mom off which resulted in their confrontation at school. 

In ep. 06, Hwi-Young's dad is shown to not just be abusive toward his wife but to Hwi-Young as well... and this sets off his skin atrophy again. 

WooHoo:heart: Love is in the air for Soo-Bin & Jun-Woo!! He finally reciprocates & tells her he likes her too:love::kiss_wink: 

@xxPeepsxx

That may be the case. Still I think Soo-Bin's mom should cut her some slack. We all know what happens when you push too hard, case in point Sky Castle. Soo-Bin despite her not being academically brilliant, she's responsible & kind. For any parent that's plentiful. 

Interesting.

Catching this drama casually.

I love Kim Hyang Gi and so I am here.

What is happening to Jun Woo is quite realistic. And there are students like Hwi Young out there too. But each have their own backstory to their behaviour.

I can see that it would be difficult for Hwi Young under any circumstances, with a father like that and a mother who keeps protecting him/covering up for all his misdeeds.

As for Jun Woo, I hope he remains optimistic with the friends he does have (like Soo Bin and Oh Jae (I like how he could see through the hierarchy in the school)

OMG Ro-Mi is delusional!:crazy: The audacity , she dared ask Jun-Woo whether he liked her (when has he EVER shown interest LoL!?) or Soo-Bin .. what a joke:P:rolleyes:

I'm glad there's still Sang-Hoon to bug the heck out of Hwi-Young. Still don't like him. 

Soo-Bin/Jun-Woo are sosososo c-u-t-e:wub:

Did not like the way Soo-Bin's mom looked at Jun-Woo:angry: How did Soo-Bin end up with a mom like that!? 

I love how resilient JW is.  He sticks to his morals and approaches obstacles in a rational, logical manner.  He doesn’t get overly emotional or despondent.  It’s not that he doesn’t feel it, he does, but he never lets the emotion dictate his reasoning.  He gets knocked down and gets right back up again.  Back on his beloved Bumbi.  It’s refreshing.  It’s hopeful.  I think that’s what sets this drama apart from a lot of other high school dramas.  It delivers a message of hope. Not in a saccharine sweet overdone way, just in a very ordinary mundane matter of factly way.  It doesn’t seem to deflect from the major stressors of teenagers, unrealistic expectations from parents, the school system, society in general.  It meets them head on and attempts to deliver a realistic but hopeful take on how 18YOs can deal with it.  And not just deal, but flourish. It’s giving me Misaeng vibes set in high school.  And it helps that OSW is brilliant in his poignant portrayal of JW.

It kind of looks like Oh Je's Dad likes Jun-Woo's Mom??:w00t: And then the teacher with Jun-Woo's co-worker from the convenience store eheheh:kiss_wink:

Ro-Mi just makes me want to throw something at my laptop screen everytime she appears!! URGRGGHHHHH:angry::angry::angry:

SO glad Soo-Bin has friends who support her. 

OMG Soo-Bin out on a date (AT LAST) with Jun-Woo. Although their happiness was cut short by a text that made Soo-Bin cry. In next ep. preview it looks like Soo-Bin distances herself from Jun-Woo (WHY) and spend time with Hwi-Young (WHY):P

Unpopular opinion coming:

After today's episode of Soo-Bin ashamedly hiding Jun-Woo from her mom and the previews for the next episode of Soo-Bin stupidly believing lies about Jun-Woo without even talking to him about it (after she should know that Hwi-Young was involved with the stolen watch and the locker incident), I would almost prefer shipping Jun-Woo with Ro-Mi. While conniving and entirely selfish, Ro-Mi has at least gone after Jun-Woo after deciding she wanted him and wouldn't take crap from anyone and would raise hell in protecting Jun-Woo while Jun-Woo would have a great relationship with Ro-Mi's father and ideally help Ro-Mi in becoming a better person.

Soo-Bin, on the other hand, is entirely too weak and naive (often eye-rollingly stupid).

@Latte_Anyday your post makes smile.. I feel ya! I want to curl that hair of Ro-mi and tangle it. :lol: I dont like Sang Hoon but I like Ki Tae and Jung Oh Je

So  i watch the latest episodes. 

@nrllee  I agree. The difference in this compared to the other youth dramas, the characters here doesn't despair and be overly despondent. They deal with their probblems as how youth does..like you said.. matter of factly.

Each of  young characters have their onw way of dealing with emotion.

Soo Bin-. She gets flustered whe's with JW (Cute!), she's nonchalant, she gets emotional. She understands her mother and makes a fuss but at the end of the day she knows her mother wants for her to succed.

Joon Woo.  He deals with his emotions head on. He stays true to his morals. Doesn't't make  big deal and go out all emotional. He rationalizs. He checks himself.  But when his childhood friend died. He wanted to explode with anger, of course it's a relfex of wanting to punch and get back at HW ( he knows already what happened). I felt his anger. his frustration, his sadness, his sorrow. The scene  when he was talking to his mother, she asked how he is, and and comfort him and ask how schoo, he said all is okay then but he went out so  his mother wouldn't he buckled down and cried. It's my fav scene of that episode. Ep 5 I think. Say's a lot how his character is

Hwi Young.  He deals with with emotion by by being jerk to everyone.  His father is abusive physically to him and to the mother. If he were to fail,  he's going to bring shame to the father. For the first time, I pitied HY. The pressure to live up to what the father wants and needs him to be. HW needs to be the best. The top one in class  To not make mistakes..or else.. he gets the beating.  It was mentioned in ep 1 or 2 by SB mom that HW mom is not rich.. she was poor one marrying the abusive father. With what's happening with him, it doesn't mean what he did to JW/ doing to JW is right. JW saw (?) the bruises on HW. He knows, but not the extent how abusive the father was. As I've said we always have that one charater who gets abused  in mostly youth dramas. JW needs to set him straight.

Ki-tae  - the minion, the loyal friend ( with a purpose). He sticks to HW because HY can help him. He wants to make it for his mother and father.  He's the only one that can get to good college.. he begged in front of JW. You feel his sincerity. But he needs HW. He knows, what HW has the atophy when he gets stress. I don't think he knows HW abused. by the father.

O-Je. The  smiley one.. just like KT studying to make sure he gets to a good university It's the key to their success. .A good son and hyung to baby bro

Sang Hoon - I'm not sure but  there's that upmanship. The tormentor of HW. Even before JW transferred, in ep 1 he was already taunting  HW.. even more so when he saw what HW did.  I think he hates HW guts. Just like JW said, HW looks down on most of them (cos he's so tall.. ..hahah pun fun . No I mean below his standards.).

Teacher Han Kyul - My fav. Aand they teashers are our second parents. That he is. He knows he's good teacher.  He's only like assistant teacher. I love the way JW encourages him. I like how he sees the inner struggles of JW and is there for him, how he helped HW with bandage. He's going to be the that one teacher where students will be grateful to him.

All young actors  are tall in this drama tho. And I just realize, the actor Shing SeungHo  (Hwi Young..187 cm IRL) is also cast in Love Alarm which has also really tall actors..

8 minutes ago, jongski said:

Hwi Young.  He deals with with emotion by by being jerk to everyone.  His father is abusive physically to him and to the mother. If he were to fail,  he's going to bring shame to the father. For the first time, I pitied HY. The pressure to live up to what the father wants and needs him to be. HW needs to be the best. The top one in class  To not make mistakes..or else.. he gets the beating.  It was mentioned in ep 1 or 2 by SB mom that HW mom is not rich.. she was poor one marrying the abusive father. With what's happening with him, it doesn't mean what he did to JW/ doing to JW is right. JW saw (?) the bruises on HW. He knows, but not the extent how abusive the father was. As I've said we always have that one charater who gets abused  in mostly youth dramas. JW needs to set him straight.

I don’t think he’s a jerk.  Notice how he masquerades as everyone’s Best Friend?  The star pupil, the helpful one.  He’s Mr Perfect - or at least he wants to be in everyone’s eyes.  He has so little affirmation at home that he relies on the affirmation from school to fill that very human need to be loved/appreciated.  His whole sense of identity is tied up in that structure that he’s built in school.  JW and Teacher Oh unnerve him because they can see right through him.  They know it’s all fake.  So no I have never hated HY.  He’s made bad choices but his circumstances have forced him to do so.  It’s a house of cards that he’s built.  He’s petrified that if he doesn’t keep it going he will be left with nothing but a shell, that people will not love him for who he is.  JW can see that, which is why despite all the injustices levelled against him from HY, he’s never “hated” him.  Or not that I can see anyway.

@jongski

Well I'm glad I made your day 'cause I get the feeling some have these need to school me:rolleyes: or attack on most times LoL:P

I'm OK with Oh Je & Sang-Hoon , definitely not Ki-Tae and of course Hwi-Young (such opposites we are) I mean with people like Hwi-Young & his parents - who needs enemies huh eheheh?!

I also like their teacher, he sort of reminds me of Robin Williams' character from Dead Poets Society (great movie btw) Where he inspired his students to go after their dreams etc.   

Idk it's hard for me to sympathize with Hwi-Young LoL. Like I really want to but eh...NO.:lol: That bit where he smashed his phone 'cause he couldn't accept Sang-Hoon has outsmarted him AGAIN in Math was both scary & funny for me. Funny 'cause it's nice to see him get upstaged:P and scary 'cause he obviously can't accept failure or havin' his non-gf (Soo-Bin) be taken away either. It's like he's an overgrown kid who throws a tantrum whenever his fave toy get snatched:rolleyes: Then he puts this mask & fakes a smile that everything's fine. Creeeppppyyyy~:wacko:

On 8/7/2019 at 3:03 AM, xxPeepsxx said:

Well, I wouldn't say SuBin's mom is pushing SuBin just because of peer pressure. In their fight, it was revealed that Mom herself is a graduate of SNU so she does well academically and her profile pic is "net", like some kind of logo of a company. She seems like a high ranking manager at a corporation and knows how disadvantaged women are in the working world and how much better they have to be compared to the men to even be thought of as competent. I get the feeling that she wants to try and mitigate the effects of gender inequality in her daughter's future even if it means she has to push SuBin now. I get the sense that she doesn't feel like SuBin can't make it. After all, she did, herself. It's that SuBin just doesn't apply herself and strive with her best abilities. As long as SuBin works hard and has the right help, Mom is certain that she will excel academically and so that's what she tries to provide. Also maybe because she wants SuBin to be independent, seeing how her own marriage turned out.

I agree.  You can tell from the conversations the ladies had in the cafe post school visit that they deem their children as an extension of themselves.  It’s common in Asian shame culture.  You are not just your autonomous self (me, myself, I), you are part of a conglomerate whole (family, society, country).  So SooBin’s mom pushes SooBin “for her own good” because she herself has already gleaned the wisdom of a dog-eat-dog world.  She forgets that SooBin is NOT her.  It’s not that SooBin doesn’t understand where her mom is coming from, I think she actually does.  She’s not being defiant or childish.  In fact, one would argue that she’s actually more adult than her mom.  Remember SooBin was the one who apologised and smoothed things over with her mom...one would’ve expected the mom (I thought she was the adult?  :lol:) to have made the first move instead of sulking (which tends to be the prerogative of teens? :lol:).  SooBin’s point is that you don’t have to sell your soul and lose your sense of self respect to get there.  The ends doesn’t justify the means for SooBin. The means is just as important (if not more so) than the ends because it is character building.

I'm enjoying the show and as cute as it is I feel like the show went from being very serious, with the main leads best and oldest friend dying to a romance in the space of an episode or two.

We essentially got a one/two episode fallout from his friend dying? I have no issue with the odd romance parts but it has been over powering in the last few episodes

Hwi Young stays a richard simmons - don't find him sympathetic. 

And I agree with the comment above re the female lead - I like the character and she's portrayed well but looking at those previews Hwi Young will tell her something dumb and she'll be naive enough to fall for it hook, line and sinker giving us classic unnecessary kdrama angst. I find both leads a bit too soft hearted/naive/stupid at the moment to relate much. I get he's a childhood friend of hers but (i'm inferring a lot from the previews) if she's going to start ignoring the main lead and chilling with Hwi Young straight after who she knows he doesn't get along with - if I was the ML i wouldn't be running back and chasing her like he probably will end up doing. I'm not looking forward to that because even as a viewer I'd feel like I'd lost some pride

Archived