[Drama 2019] Moment of Eighteen / 18, 열여덟의 순간

0ly40

19 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

It might not happen but I hope Soo Bin calls out on her mom.

I would hope it would be something along the lines of, "Look at you Oma. You went to Seoul University, you have a good job that pays lots of money. However, your husband left you. And deep down inside you're a miserable person. Why would I want that for myself?!"

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, rolisrntex said:

I would hope it would be something along the lines of, "Look at you Oma. You went to Seoul University, you have a good job that pays lots of money. However, your husband left you. And deep down inside you're a miserable person. Why would I want that for myself?!"

And then subin got slap again

Their chemistry on or off screen are good. Hope they remind be friend

Am I the only one who feels sorry for Hwi Young?  Sure he isnt the most charming of characters and has done alot of things wrong but he appears to be in an extremely bad situation right now.  You cant deal with friends or school mates if you cant cope at home and he like a ticking time bomb right now not sure how much more he can take.  His mother drinking and father beating him.

Teacher seems to know that hwi young had nothing to do with the grade change yet he is taking all the blame for it.

Am I missing something here???  From episode 10 onwards unless I have missed something he really is ready to self destruct, he has already distanced himself off from all those around him, he is frustrated, he is now provoking his father intentionally, im not sure how much more he can cope with......

I read back on the comment so far and a lot of people are critical of HW and its sad really.  Sure I dont condone his actions but he has no where to go  You are influenced by your parents at an early age, i mean his mother drinks and father has such high goals for him, to protect his mother he has to be strong and to avoid his father he has to get good grades, even one wrong and look how his dad reacts.

Anyone at school who threatens that possibility threatens HW family situation he would be extremely on edge, angry and aggressive.

I am not sure where they are turning with this storyline but for me it would be for JW to embrace him, he knows something is not right, despite their tension, he needs someone genuine to stand in his corner and not have a motive and protect him.  Only when he is not being threatened by his family situation do i think he will come clean about everything else.

Home is for a lot of people their foundations, if its rocky you unravel and dont know which direction to turn first.  I think HW is like that too, reminds me of Cheer Up (Sassy go go).    Only after unquestionable support from his friend even when in conflict over a girl then he stood up to his father and eventually his father got help.

You want someone to care about you, no matter how ugly you appear to everyone or even how much you hate yourself.  He was hoping for that in SB I think.  She would be pure in his eyes, but she only cares about JW,  which he cant handle as he has no one sincere around him.  Sincere in the fact that he can tell his family life too.  He has people who care and he doesnt appreciate those but they also dont know his family situation and ashamed his is of that.

Its strange for this drama I am not even noticjng the main lead, I feel way to much compassion for the second lead.  Something obviously blows next episode as it appears both SB & JW are going to try to reach out to him.

7 hours ago, fragglerock said:

I read back on the comment so far and a lot of people are critical of HW and its sad really

I don’t feel any animosity towards him at all. I am with you. He is a victim of his circumstance.  He has zero control over the situation at home so he builds a safe haven for himself at the school.  He carefully crafts being the model student and friend.  He has a deep self loathing. JW (and to s certain extent SB and even OhJe) and the Teacher are the only ones who see through his facade.  They have tried multiple times to try to reach out to him but he hasn’t accepted their help. I pity HY.  He has an abusive tyrant for a father.  Yes it doesn’t justify him extrapolating that and being a tyrant himself at school but he knows no other way out.  

@nrllee  Glad someone else see's it like me.  I think i can empathise through real life.  People try to help and they get frustrated with me because I dont accept it.  But their is a reason I dont accept it, there are other things they dont know about, things i cant tell them that impact my decisions big time.  Regardless if its pride, fear of myself or disappointing them.

So I can relate to the script on this, I appreciate they feel frustrated and helpless around him even if they are trying to be gentuine.  But there are things outside of his control in his world, he is cracking.  I want to say scream and say that JW saw the bruises on him in the locker room and still didnt say anything.

But then again how could he, he isnt close to him and it would only get denied anyhow.  The acting for him is very deep to the point I want to reach through the screen and comfort him and know I cant.

But on the plus side in a few hours we will have another episode, and by the previews it appears that both SB & JW try to reach out to him.   Even if he doesnt accept they need to persist, only if they do force themselves by his side will he crumble and eventually let them in then they will get the apology they want. 

I mean honestly why would he go through the pains of trusting just anyone if he has to endure that day after day and there is a risk of them not being able to help or better still leaving him.  To him at the moment JW has this pristine perfect life in his image including with SB that he feels he cant have.  Its hard not to have empathy for him........

God my heart breaks for Jun-Woo toward the end of ep.15...:tears: Dude can't catch a break! He's like cursed or somethin', everytime he hits a stride in life, he gets knocked down again a few notches.. WHY DRAMA YOU SO CRUEL TO JUN-WOO?!:( 

I want to feel for Hwi-Young but he just keep letting me down :P I understand he's between a rock & a hard place but damn (sighs) I don't know either LoL-_- Just hoping that it'd end amicably...at the very least for these 2.

@rolisrntex

Very true. Not everyone who is a grad becomes successful. Not everyone who's a dropout is a failure.. I think it's to show off as you've said to have smart kids. Also most of South Korean parents live vicariously through their kids which is awful in itself. They care a lot on keeping up appearances. Even if it's just a facade. 

Yea ditto on Soo-Bin's mom bein' a caricature. Have you watched "Sky Castle"? It's much worse! And well in ep.15, Soo-Bin's mom had a change of heart toward Jun-Woo...she is just upset at how badly her marriage turned out. So she sort of aimed that anger toward Jun-Woo. Unfair but she's acting out of hurt. 

Okay watched episode 15 at this point I am disappointed with the teacher.  Hate to say this but he is watching it all go down and saying little.  He knows about the test and yet hasnt said anything, he also knows that HW knew nothing about it, if he aint going to speak up about it, he could at least offer support or try to tell HW he knows its not his fault.  HW has taken on the blame for everything.

While I understand it I find it frustrating in Kdrama's (not sure if this applies to real life) but if parents or child does something wrong, whole family takes the blame for it.  Grants HW has done wrong, but his whole situation is pitiful,  I get this sad feeling they are going to have a silly ending for him as they havent done him justice so far.

He was a wreck on his knee's before JW and granted he should be, but I think at this point he feels too much damage has been done,   I think he is lost and doesnt know what to do, again no guidance to help him.  He said it at the end of the episode "what should I do".

Your life is a train wreck, your family is already torn apart, your family has torn others apart, you arrogantly lash out and tear others apart in frustration, you feel guilty but cant go back in time, no amount of apologizing takes what you done away, you have lost everyone around you,   Exactly where is he suppose to go from here, there is no where left for him....

52 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

While I understand it I find it frustrating in Kdrama's (not sure if this applies to real life) but if parents or child does something wrong, whole family takes the blame for it.  Grants HW has done wrong, but his whole situation is pitiful,  I get this sad feeling they are going to have a silly ending for him as they havent done him justice so far.

It very much applies to real life in S. Korea, unfortunately. Agree that HW's situation is pitiful. I don't really know what kind of ending they will give him. I just want him to get professional help. 

@qynn  It appears on shows all the time that blame and forgiveness seems to be a family thing so I gathered it was based off real life.  A real potent one for me was Mad Dog, in episode 14 he was saying how everyone blamed him because of what his brother did, he tried to tell himself it wasnt his fault it was his brother but then he felt like more of a monster because of it, and it really ripped me apart watching that scene.  The burdon placed on those in the family who didnt do it can be a huge responsibility.

I like you hope they give him a good ending, i doubt it will be professional help.  While JW hates him and the teacher is doing nothing to protect him, i doubt they will give him a good ending othe than "your forgiven" and then everyone skips along afterwards together.

"I apologise i ripped you off billions of dollars"  your forgiven

"I apologise i stole you child"  your forgiven.

"I apologise i slept with your husband your forgiven

"I apologise for kill ing them"  your forgiven.

In drama land that seems to solve everything.  So I think they will give the main lead a good ending but i dont hold out hopse for the others they aint done anything positive for his role so far.....

Even when he apologised for what his parents did to the other guys family and said can we call this even now"  even if it wasnt accepted did he have to stand there all smug and smirk with satisfaction.  I really wanted to reach through the screen and slap him.   I doubt he will have a guilt trip when he realises his father dobbed in HW for something he didnt even know about..

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] Moment of Eighteen / 18, 열여덟의 순간

This adds on to a bunch of other k-dramas that had sucky endings LoL:P:lol: It just felt like it revolved around Soo-Bin/Jun-Woo's romance a tad too much. Everyone else unfortunately got tossed aside, Hwi-Young included. 

Despite those shortcomings, I liked it I guess ha. If anything it shows the potential Seong-Woo has as an actor. He did good for a newbie & so young at that.. hoping to see him more in better roles hopefully.

Take care everyone & ciao!

So... What happened? I am a few episodes behind and don't want to watch the ending? I mean technically it's the journey of watching the acting right? Spoilers are one thing but one can't see the chemistry or the interactionsv except with watching.

@Latte_Anyday  Agree there is unfinished parts in this drama, i scrolled through the ending on the final episode and was disappointed.

I mean so many people are left behind in order to complete the main characters.

Spoiler

Between the parents, the cheating scandal wasnt resolved properly, HW actually left school - granted it was to find himself and I dont condone bullying, but if you are going to put bullying in a storyline its not just about what damage they cause and how their lives fall apart, its all about psychologically all the parts in between we dont know about, things were hinted at and shown breifly but things could of been more clarified.  Sure others have more to do add to that list, but for main leads there definitely was alot focused on them......

Archived