[Drama 2019] Moment of Eighteen / 18, 열여덟의 순간

0ly40

Hi there @KawaiiOnge

Welcome. Hope more would join but it's OK it's only been 2 ep. (shrug) 

Oh so the OST is sung by a Danish artist? I thought it was Sam Kim LoL.:D And don't worry 'bout the long post. 

I don't understand what Hwi-Young's dad meant by it's useless to have brains like Sang-Hoon?! Huh LoL. Or did he mean you need to have "connections" i.e people who can elevate your status? Idk. 

Right now I just have a lot more questions which I hope the drama will address in future ep. Like did Jun-Woo's dad abandoned him??:( 'Cause Jun-Woo mentioned his mom had him when she was very young~

Anyway I'd like to read more of your thoughts on the drama so far. Also I sense a bit of jealousy from Soo-Bin's friend, Ro-Mi. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @Latte_Anyday

Sanghoon's father works at Hwiyoung dad's company.  So i think his dad is looking down on Sanghoon's dad.

It is not actually useless but scariest...

Hwiyoung dad asked him to become beware of smart kids like Sanghoon who only got good brains because they are the scariest...just like him. He only got the brain to rely on while struggling to get up high..btw, Hwiyoung's dad is into real estate..

Junwoo's mom got pregnant when they were young...around 18 years old. His father is a coward so he abandoned them. 

Romi, i think will be the mean girl later on...According to character descriptions, she like whatever Subin has..and in the released relationship line, Romi will like Junwoo. 

Also i want to add..this drama tackled some issues subtly as expressed in dialogue like the ones below without appearing to preachy..

Junwoo about his Mom
My mom is immature and young (when she had Junwoo unplanned), but she didn't run away from me, even back then when she is much younger.

Subin's Mom
Subin, do you have idea what a difficult place is this society for women? Do you think you can start the same starting line as men? (Sad reality, but it is true in Asian countries)

@KawaiiOnge

Thanks for replying.

Still..why scary though LoL? I mean isn't it better to have smarts anyway? Or is he talking it's better to have both book & street smarts to survive?

I think that's (his mom didn't abandoned him, Soo-Bin & the assistant teacher's words of encouragement) the push Jun-Woo needed to stay at school. Also to prove Hwi-Young wrong of course:P

I think us, women just have it worse worldwide<_< regardless wherever we may be. Whether it be safety, work, love etc. It's never easy for women. It sucks-_-

It is unfortunately pretty generic at the moment with the character set up but I've been itching for a serious coming of age drama for a while. Feels like the genre is going through a bit of a lull at the moment

Despite the generic characters though, so far I enjoyed it enough. Looking like there could be another good OST here as well which also helps so will stick around.

Assuming the kid we see in pictures with the ML and in that short flashback was a friend that died young which has resulted in the ML being the way he is. They've set up quite a few mysteries that I hope they don't drag out too much (mainly why he had to transfer from his last school and the significance of the friend)

Never finished the show but the rich kids all giving me Sky Castle vibes from the little that I saw of that show.

Already not looking forward to the second ML being incredibly douchey whilst the writer tries to make him sympathetic because the guy is already too much of a richard simmons for me to sympathise with.

Anyhow looking forward to next week.

@anony12345 said:-

Never finished the show but the rich kids all giving me Sky Castle vibes from the little that I saw of that show.

Already not looking forward to the second ML being incredibly douchey whilst the writer tries to make him sympathetic because the guy is already too much of a richard simmons for me to sympathise with.

Everyone except for Soo-Bin that is;)

Despite comin' from a single parent household, she remains level-headed. Maybe that's why she relates to Jun-Woo..? She comes from a pretty middle-class background but still has principles. She's also so tiny I can't mention that enough:lol:

I don't like him either, he's such a hypocrite too<_< And the skin atrophy with his parent's pressure - I don't sympathize with him as well. As Jun-Woo says, he wears a mask which makes him even more unlikable.

Moments of Eighteen/AtEighteen (English title ) is not your usual high school romance drama it discusses the piece of the life of an 18years old students. That's why I really anticipate this drama. By the way Ong Seongwu here is really good in acting despite being a rookie. Good job! 

i like this drama! its really beautiful in terms of the cinematography and the OSTs~ 

so far, they showed how junwoo, who had issues in his prev sch is also struggling in his new sch (thanks to hwiyoung <_<). it seems that the solution he has is to leave, go to some other place again and move on (reference to the 1st line he said in ep 1). but at last, he decided to not give in and still remain in the sch (he did nothing wrong anyways). also, we know now that his dad abandoned him since young and his dad has a new family... that scene was heartbreaking to watch :tears: + i am curious abt his background! was it a misunderstanding that he was involved in theft and assault because he tried to explain in ep.1 but didnt get to continue?.. 

meanwhile, hwiyoung was stuck in a situation where he could be exposed (for not returning the watch) and eventually end up dumping the blame to junwoo. he sees junwoo as an easy target since 1) transferred student 2) theft and assault incident. he thinks he can get away with everything but now that junwoo decided to stay, he shouldnt make any more mess (but looking at the preview for ep. 3, he is still at it). i do want to pity him because of his parents but still it doesnt make it right for him to ruin someone's else life 

subin's situation seems to be the best (among the main characters) except her mom.. subin is doing well in sch but her mom wants her to be at the top so she is pushing subin. but there is a limit and subin eventually won't take it anymore. the scene when she had to listen to her mom nagging in ep 2, she was about to cry & i want to hug her :tears:

waiting for ep 3 where we can see more of their school life now that junwoo is staying~

These kids...Junwoo, Subin, Hwiyoung

They have so much to say...if only adults would atleast hear them out...

They are all struggling inside, with different issues, but decided to brush if off and pretend to be fine though they are hurting...though they don't agree...

If only adults could see through them...

This drama seems light and calm, but actually it isn't. 

New behind the scene cuts

At Eighteen Behind the Scenes Cut

On 7/25/2019 at 1:44 AM, Latte_Anyday said:

@KawaiiOnge

Thanks for replying.

Still..why scary though LoL? I mean isn't it better to have smarts anyway? Or is he talking it's better to have both book & street smarts to survive?

That is one thing that they have to address in the next episodes. I've seen some photos and infos from some fans who saw some parts of the shooting regarding Hwiyoung and his dad...but i can't say it right now to avoid spoilers.

:)

Not sure..need subs but it looks like Hwi-Young's Dad abuses his Mom(?)

I really like Jun-Woo's relationship with his Mom - it's really sweet. Soo-Bin's Mom thinks Jun-Woo's a hottie LoL! Slightly awkward as both Soo-Bin's & Jun-Woo's Mom had the exact same purse. 

Find the end scene of ep. 03 hilarious where Jun-Woo shield Soo-Bin from the rain with just his hands ha-ha. If ya ask me it's kind of pointless as she's drenched already! 

14 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Not sure..need subs but it looks like Hwi-Young's Dad abuses his Mom(?)

I really like Jun-Woo's relationship with his Mom - it's really sweet. Soo-Bin's Mom thinks Jun-Woo's a hottie LoL! Slightly awkward as both Soo-Bin's & Jun-Woo's Mom had the exact same purse. 

Find the end scene of ep. 03 hilarious where Jun-Woo shield Soo-Bin from the rain with just his hands ha-ha. If ya ask me it's kind of pointless as she's drenched already! 

If i be the director-nim, i made jun wo hug soo bin in the rain on end of episode 3.haha..

But they only 18th, its legal to do that?

Hey there! @glass_shoe15 I was sort of expecting him to use his cardigan to put it over her head but that's kind of useless too:w00t:

I just feel this is a K-Drama moment that just failed IMO LoL. I never understood these moments like when the guy puts his hand to stop the girl's head from hitting the table, then what of his hand??:lol: Or to block the sun from her face when she sleeps, what if she sleeps for too long y'know things like that LoL?!!?:rolleyes::P:lol:

I think the PD wanted to keep it PG as Seong-Woo have many fans??

I wasn’t expecting much from this drama.  I started because of the female lead.  I adore her.  She’s pretty much the only reason I watched Along With The Gods  (she and Do KyungSoo).  Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised.  I was expecting fluffy but it’s not that at all.  The characters have depth and for rookies, the male leads are holding their own.  The actor playing JunWoo is someone to watch in the future for sure.  I will stay but may lag watching coz my drama plate is already full. :)

Archived