[Drama 2018-2019] Gangnam Scandal, 강남 스캔들

0ly40

On 3/20/2019 at 1:36 AM, dondon binay said:

This drama does not seem to be governed by the laws of the real world.

Yes , the laws seem to belong to a different universe.

For example, in many 120-episode serials, the plot is such that good leads often suffer until the second last episode and enjoy true happiness only in a few scenes in the last episodes. Good lovers sometimes are only reunited at the last minute of the last episode.

By contrast, bad leads often have a field day until the second last episode. Sometimes, they got few scenes of prison times in the last two episodes. At other times, they are just shown to enter a prison at one scene and then, after time break, they are shown to be released at the next scene. At still other times, they are not punished at all: Just a few sentences of apology absolve them from any consequence of their wrong doings in the 117+ episodes.

There is an impression that in many of these shows: 

-  It's OK to show quite a lot of suffering of good leads.

-  It's not OK to show the suffering of bad leads. 

What perplexes me is the fact that most commenters, in this forum and other forums, are not happy at this unnatural plot. Yet, in serial after serial, such annoying plot keeps appearing. 

These serials are produced for audience.

- If the audience in these forums do not like such a plot, are there any other audience groups that like such a plot?

- If these other audience groups do not like it, either, then for whom are these serials produced? 

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jasmine19, you gave me insight on how they make a 120 episode Korean drama. The audience will be tormented until the second to the last episode and only get closure in the last 120th episode. Honestly, I like it, that why I watch Korean drama. In Japanese movie, there is always closure like when they say I'm sorry in the movie, Japanese writer always asks the character to cut his finger to show sincerity on top of the apology. Saying I,m sorry is insufficient because it is easy to say words. I don't watch Japanese movie anymore because they preach to much. I like being entertained by improbable scenarios in gangnam scandal.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:22 PM, dramaninja said:

EP 85 preview

Reveal hidden contents

Oops! Must have been too excited by the fact. Now that Ms. Hong is going to forge a certificate, it's going to be up to SJ to tell SH about his illness and how in depth it's going to be. I bet Ms. Hong is going to be like, "Oh, don't listen to SJ. I told you first but he's going to be okay. This is the medical certificate saying that his illness is curable." Ms. Hong knows that her son isn't COMPLETELY on her side yet, and that he has a good heart, especially a soft spot for SJ and SY as well because they've known for so long.

I hope that Chairman Choi proposes to Mi-Ri, I think it'll actually do him good and convince him to listen to SK for once. SK was so close to having her dad listen to her but he just left in the middle of what she was saying.

I know that this is completely wrong to think (since Seo-hyung and MTW is married) but does anyone think that TW and SD will look good together? Since TW already said that she abuses him and hits him and beats him up... That's domestic abuse right there. I think TW isn't divorcing because he knows how much his wife will torture SD.

Alright, SJ... Let's step it up and tell SY too? I bet that there will be some barrier involved so that SY doesn't have to go to the States though. The main character can't be missing for ages.

Spoiler

Looking at next episode, I LOVE that Hong is getting a slap to her face by her son! Clearly SH may know that she's been doing a lot behind the chairman. I don't think that SY will get sent off, but I worry about SJ's condition. I think that SH might tell SY at the airport, and start to believe what they're saying about his mom. Oof, at least the chairman and Miri are finally together- notice how Seo-hyung didn't show up for the family gathering? Bet she didn't like the idea!

yES i NOTICED THE DAugther who served miri tea was not with them on the table.  There has to be a reason. Maybe she felt she was not important enough to be there. remember his dad ask for a suit to wear but never bbothered to tell her that hes proposing to Miri. I think I like an ending wherein SJ dies in the end and So Yu and SH elopes and live a normal chaotic life somewhere where nobady knows them. With regards to LX company, it does not matter what happens because its a corporation anyway. Stakeholder rights are proporpional to their shares and the officers ,board of directors are expendable anyway. Whoever delivers for the company is what matters in this case it could be Hong.

SY did right telling off the father the way she did, he thinks he has to rush to get grandchild to replace his son and keep is defected bloodline going on instead of looking out more for SJ, intrusting Ms. Hong with his own son life is not what a loving parent does. Thinking he can buy a grandson because SY is a golddigger so it is ok is dumb, for SJ dad to get mad at SY for saying what is in everyone's else mind is wrong. How come Ms. Hong is still playing the part of the loyal servant?

SH is disgusting he said to SY and SJ that they will regret it but it seems he is still hanging on SY and no wonder since Ms. Hong is his mother then his mind has to be sick and his soul too, they all are acting as if SJ is dead and they are planning what to benefit from his death, that is so sick.

I think after watching today, SY and SJ will be together in the end. There was someone here who said SJ would get better on the power of love. It seems that the story is headed in that direction so she was right and I was wrong on my predictions on that part. I did get some right because the storyline seems to be suggesting that Hong is convicted of embezzlement in the end. SH could provide some evidence that might incriminate her mother. SH is not hopeless. It's SY that is making them like that because she is so beautiful.

32 minutes ago, chdom said:
  Hide contents

Let me get this right... SH believes SY will return to him if SJ passes? If it were that easy. It will never be you boo. You can thank your crazy mom for that. You got issues.

Yeah he is quite delusional.

44 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Yeah he is quite delusional.

Spoiler

I do like the fact that SH is thinking about SJ and SY right now.  He may have an ulterior motive and think once SJ is gone he can have SY but for now he seems to be on SJ/SY's side and that is a good thing.  

Sp happy that SY has started to realize she will also have to scheme to beat Hong at her game.  Taking a tape recorder with her to record their conversation was great.  

There's nothing incriminating inside the tape Soyu got, its just mostly empty talk that could be interpreted in a lot of benign ways.  SY needs harder evidence to beat Hong. She getting better though in obtaining evidence. That tape together with some other acts or omissions of Hong could become useful in the future.

5 hours ago, dondon binay said:

There's nothing incriminating inside the tape Soyu got, its just mostly empty talk that could be interpreted in a lot of benign ways.  SY needs harder evidence to beat Hong. She getting better though in obtaining evidence. That tape together with some other acts or omissions of Hong could become useful in the future.

Yeah, it's definitely empty talk and no evidence, but I think one of SY's main objectives was not to expose Ms. Hong using that tape recording, but to show SH who his mom really is. She's getting better and not dumber with every episode (thank goodness.) I guess she learned after having that phone tossed like a french fry in the parking lot. Hopefully SH will realize what a monster his mom is and help SJ and SY. 

What I actually don't get is- So is developing a new medicine a fake as well? Was that because Ms. Hong needed access to Chairman Choi's safe so she lied about the medicine development in Switzerland?

12 hours ago, Pam_Van Fossen said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I do like the fact that SH is thinking about SJ and SY right now.  He may have an ulterior motive and think once SJ is gone he can have SY but for now he seems to be on SJ/SY's side and that is a good thing.  

Sp happy that SY has started to realize she will also have to scheme to beat Hong at her game.  Taking a tape recorder with her to record their conversation was great.  

I agree that SH is delusion as well, for believing SY would return to him if SJ dies. It doesn't work like that... But I like it that it seems that SY is exposing Ms. Hong to SH so that he gets a real glimpse as to who his mom really is (which he believes she's an angel still.) 

10 hours ago, dondon binay said:

5 hours ago, xprosperity said:

What I actually don't get is- So is developing a new medicine a fake as well? Was that because Ms. Hong needed access to Chairman Choi's safe so she lied about the medicine development in Switzerland?

I believe it is a scam in order to get their money and ruin them. She wants the Chairman to think that she is working hard to save SJ but we know she cares nothing about SJ or anyone in that family.  She wants and feels she and SH deserve the company.  

Archived