Quantcast
jadecloud

[Current Mainland WebDrama 2019] The Legend of Hao Lan / Beauty Hao Lan 皓镧传

4 hours ago, therewillbeddl said:

The preview where YR died is up and it is soooo angsty and sad. YR let everyone else including LBW see him on his deathbed, but refused to let HL see him even for one last time and ordered to burn all his gifts he’s given to her, which is how she says she would never forgive him in this lifetime (we guessed that right). I feel like there are two ways to interpret his intentions. Either he doesn’t want HL to be sadder than she would’ve been (had she seen him one last time), or he intends for HL to think about him more than she would have and to never forget about him for the rest of her life. If it’s the latter, it might’ve been the smartest yet most manipulative thing he’s done, even at the time of his death lmaooo

@therewillbeddl  I just finished watching Episode 46 and have been following various preview clips over the internet: My personal take on YR's death (besides the angst, sadness, loneliness of a King who puts duty above all else, failed defiance against fate, ...) is that YR is/was thinking that HaoLan needs to keep moving forward and not become a victim of her grief for him --Sad memories/items/gifts can trap someone in grief and they may live in their past memories --Their son is still very young and needs all the help being King. It is understandable that HaoLan is mad/angry-in-grief at YR's decision: 1) b/c she didn't have a choice in the matter and had no say in YR's decision; 2) Do you remember what YR said to HL when they were trapped on the Zhao city gate when HL went into labor suddenly? YR said that "if you/HL died during childbirth, he/YR would be left alone and he/YR would never forgive her/HL." So, to echo the same sentiment here,  HL is feeling left alone (upon YR's death) and is full of grief and angst that she is "abandoned" by YR...and consequently says that she cannot ever forgive him for "leaving without saying good-bye"...

I look forward to watching the rest of Legend of Hao Lan (Episode 47--end). I have watched Yanxi Palace (in full), and so far, I like the Legend of Hao Lan more: storyline, costume, characters, and other aspects are more complicated, nuanced, and diverse. I'm especially impressed by the actor who portrays YR (Mao Zijun). 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2019 at 10:43 PM, therewillbeddl said:

Personally I don’t think it’d be a good idea to include that scandalous aspect into this drama. Female lead will get slandered left and right by viewers and it’s not a good idea for both the actress and the drama as a whole if everyone ends up hating the main lead. People were already looking down on this drama in the beginning as many people do not like Zhao Ji. 

Tbh, I’m already satisfied by the history accuracy part of the drama. The fact that they accurately depicted the ongoing conflicts between Zhao and Qin and other states, especially the Battle of Changping, LBW’s methods to make YR crown prince, the years of suffering HL went through in Zhao with Ying Zheng and even not following Sima Qian’s illogical story about Qin Shihuang’s birth pleasantly surprised me. 

@therewillbeddl

@lyserose

Has anyone thought about whether the historical accounts of Zhao Ji (aka Hao Lan) are actually correct?? To my knowledge, the historical facts were reported by a court historian (Sima Qian who was alive around 135BC-86BC, much after Qin Shi Huang); it is known that he really hated Qin Shi Huang and wanted to show that his birth was illegitimate. We know now that Sima Qian is/was an unreliable historian on this matter.

Why can't we enjoy the creation of Hao Lan's story (circa 2019)? I applaud the creators/producers/directors/actors/team of Legend of Hao Lan for telling a story we can enjoy...

My two cents only!

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 10:05 PM, lyserose said:

@kyoko22  I wouldn't really brand LBW and Zhao Ji (Haolan in this drama) as villains. It depends on how you view them. Plus most accounts are based on the record by Sima Qian who harbored great resentment towards LBW and Qin Shi Huang, thus some accounts of his could be discounted.

While some historical accounts are arguable and I do know that we are watching a drama and not a documentary, I would prefer if they stick to the consistent facts that are LBW reluctantly gave Zhao Ji to Yingren, thus speaks volume of how his desire for power surpass everything and the continuous affiliation between LBW and Zhao Ji, despite that he gifted her away and then, gave her an impostor eunuch to replace him.

Having watched Yanxi, tbh, I don't really find Haolan as smart as Yingluo lol. While Yingluo is about survival, Haolan is driven by love. Half of her actions are anything but calculated. She is what I would consider only half-smart but fortunate. And to be fair, the reasons why the women in here appear so smart is because they made the men so stupid. The King of Zhao is useless, same goes to Lord Anguo which baffled me on how these men can become the head of a country, Haolan's dad is spineless, Prince Yao is pretty much the male version of his wife, General Gao is more of a brunt than a brain person. So, there you have it. Except for Lu Bu Wei and teeny bit of potential in Yingren, I would say the rest of the men have brains up there for decorations purpose only. Perhaps, I would appreciate the feminist aspect if only they made the male characters of compatible wits. It's similar to my feeling towards K-dramas where they always downgrade the female intellects just to make the male characters far superior and in here, it's the opposite.

If you read thru this thread and comment sections on most drama streaming portals.... Most are shippers of Hao Lan and Yingren. As for myself, I am still Team Lu Bu Wei all the way. Perhaps I am not the kind who like the puppy type but as always, it comes down to one's preference :-)

On 2/11/2019 at 10:43 PM, therewillbeddl said:

Personally I don’t think it’d be a good idea to include that scandalous aspect into this drama. Female lead will get slandered left and right by viewers and it’s not a good idea for both the actress and the drama as a whole if everyone ends up hating the main lead. People were already looking down on this drama in the beginning as many people do not like Zhao Ji. 

Tbh, I’m already satisfied by the history accuracy part of the drama. The fact that they accurately depicted the ongoing conflicts between Zhao and Qin and other states, especially the Battle of Changping, LBW’s methods to make YR crown prince, the years of suffering HL went through in Zhao with Ying Zheng and even not following Sima Qian’s illogical story about Qin Shihuang’s birth pleasantly surprised me. 

Too bad. No matter how scandalous this would be, I still prefer they stick closer to history :-(. One of my biggest problems with this drama is that almost all men are infatuated of Haolan and almost all women are jealous of her, thus her endless tortures and sufferings. Sighs.

@kyoko22: I'm glad the producers/directors left out Lao Ai and scandals. The story about Lao Ai being smuggled by LBW into court just seems completely outlandish to me. What are the facts?  

On 2/15/2019 at 11:54 PM, peanutbutterjellytime said:

This drama isn't exactly as talked about or followed compared to other running shows yet the production is one of the best I've seen. Everything from the cinematography, costumes, soundtrack to the subtle undertones makes it such an enjoyable experience. I especially  like the mens costumes here, particularly royal Qin outfits. But is it just me or almost everyone has better outfits or hairstyle than Hao Lan? 

Anywho with 10 eps left to go and grown up Ying Zheng...all loose ends should be wrapping up pretty soon. And to the surprise of no one really, grown up Zheng Er isn't exactly a charming young man on first impressions lol. 

At this point of the drama, there are still a few burning questions ... like where are they going with Xiaochun's storyline? Bailing Er? Hao Lan and LBW? Lao Ai?  

Ps. Actor for grown up Lao Ai kinda reminds me of a poor man's Eddie Peng ?? 

Thoughts on Xiaochun etc as of ep52:

Reveal hidden contents

Tease us with a budding potential "love/hate" romance between XC and General Bai (a strangely hot ship I'm all) over last couple eps then throw a wrench into any hopes for that, when Gen Bai pretty much had Prince Yi brutally killed right in front of her. Mainly because he's enemy, with a slither of jealousy? :P  But XC recovering quickly with no grudges and a complete different attitude towards the gen is suspicious.

Looking around online comments... interesting enough many ppl ship Xiao Chun with either generals but Yi.  Maybe it's the way they handled Yi-XC romance, but Yi is too pouty to be likable imo. Consensus had it out for Gao Hao Yang aka. Hot general with lil boy crush on our doctress, too bad we all know what happened with that one :anguished:

A XC-Gen Bai romance is very unlikely BUT crazier things have happened in this drama so hey. Plus our girl Xiaochun deserves some love after all the blood, guts, and twisted royal family shenanigans she never asked to be part of all these years. All she wanted was to heal people, grind some herbs and for sake of her sanity give people a much deserved earful once in awhile

As for Bailing Er...I just feel really sorry for her at this point. Annoying yes, but prob one of the few or only wholesome characters in the drama. She doesnt deserve what she is going thru atm.

@peanutbutterjellytime Thanks for your comment here! Agree with you on the high-quality production. Definitely enjoyable! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SailBeneteau said:

@therewillbeddl  I just finished watching Episode 46 and have been following various preview clips over the internet: My personal take on YR's death (besides the angst, sadness, loneliness of a King who puts duty above all else, failed defiance against fate, ...) is that YR is/was thinking that HaoLan needs to keep moving forward and not become a victim of her grief for him --Sad memories/items/gifts can trap someone in grief and they may live in their past memories --Their son is still very young and needs all the help being King. It is understandable that HaoLan is mad/angry-in-grief at YR's decision: 1) b/c she didn't have a choice in the matter and had no say in YR's decision; 2) Do you remember what YR said to HL when they were trapped on the Zhao city gate when HL went into labor suddenly? YR said that "if you/HL died during childbirth, he/YR would be left alone and he/YR would never forgive her/HL." So, to echo the same sentiment here,  HL is feeling left alone (upon YR's death) and is full of grief and angst that she is "abandoned" by YR...and consequently says that she cannot ever forgive him for "leaving without saying good-bye"...

I look forward to watching the rest of Legend of Hao Lan (Episode 47--end). I have watched Yanxi Palace (in full), and so far, I like the Legend of Hao Lan more: storyline, costume, characters, and other aspects are more complicated, nuanced, and diverse. I'm especially impressed by the actor who portrays YR (Mao Zijun). 

I still feel like YR's decision on this matter was too cruel for HL. :( And yes, the part where YR said he'd never forgive her for leaving him alone if she died during labor makes a great parallel to HL never forgiving him for abandoning her like that. 

Tbh, I enjoy Legend of Hao Lan more than Yanxi because I dislike Qing dynasty dramas. I feel like 80% of the palace dramas, at least the popular ones, all took place during the early Qing dynasty which has become really repetitive and boring, even to the point that I'm now more familiar with that era than other Chinese dynasties lol. Also, I dislike Qing clothing. We rarely get to have historical dramas surrounding the Qin / Warring States Period so this is a nice change. 

Actually, a lot of "pseudohistory" come from Sima Qian. He was an important figure amongst Chinese historians and greatly helped the recollection of Chinese history, but for Qin dynasty and stuff about Qin Shihuang, I would take what he said as a grain of salt. Back then, there was no concept of autobiography or historical FACTS, and historians used to change actual historical events in a way to make things more interesting, to spice things up, like a fictional autobiography. Which is how Qin Shihuang's illegitimate birth came to be. Merchants were considered the lowest in terms of status at that time, so what better way to tarnish the first emperor's name by making them related. I can't say for sure how accurate Zhao Ji is historically based on what Sima Qian said, but it is agreed that she was a messy and thoughtless/careless woman. She was left alone for years with her child in Zhao and then brought back to Qin only for her husband to die a few years later. She was a lonely person who craved to have someone by her side. I pity what she has gone through. As per Qin's rules, there was nothing wrong for a Queen Dowager to have a male consort (Lao Ai), but they cannot have any power. Zhao Ji was careless and gave him so much power which got Lao Ai to rebel against Qin Shihuang and wanting to murder him. This was what went wrong with her. Had she only made Lao Ai a simple male consort without any power, maybe everything would've turned out differently and her image would not have been tarnished or bashed amongst historians. Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

How is this drama now people were disliking it at the start but did it get better?? 

Also is it following history alot or more fiction?? 

I dont understand the hate, this drama is consistently good and entertaining despite the length. Never once have I felt like dropping or skipping.

The political intrigue and love storylines are tied well together and dont take any momentum away from each other unlike most historical romances. Secondary characters and storylines are given appropriate spotlight but never more than it should. Yes cliche tropes exist but that's almost to be expected with palace setting dramas. 

It follows history in the political context of events, but the characters and their stories are very much romanticized. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, peanutbutterjellytime said:

I dont understand the hate, this drama is consistently good and entertaining despite the length. Never once have I felt like dropping or skipping.

The political intrigue and love storylines are tied well together and dont take any momentum away from each other unlike most historical romances. Secondary characters and storylines are given appropriate spotlight but never more than it should. Yes cliche tropes exist but that's almost to be expected with palace setting dramas. 

It follows history in the political context of events, but the characters and their stories are very much romanticized. 

@peanutbutterjellytime I agree with you that the stories (politics and love) are tied together pretty well. If you watch interviews with the actors, you'd see that they agree with you -- script is really good and costumes/settings/etc help them get "in character".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, therewillbeddl said:

I still feel like YR's decision on this matter was too cruel for HL. :( And yes, the part where YR said he'd never forgive her for leaving him alone if she died during labor makes a great parallel to HL never forgiving him for abandoning her like that. 

Tbh, I enjoy Legend of Hao Lan more than Yanxi because I dislike Qing dynasty dramas. I feel like 80% of the palace dramas, at least the popular ones, all took place during the early Qing dynasty which has become really repetitive and boring, even to the point that I'm now more familiar with that era than other Chinese dynasties lol. Also, I dislike Qing clothing. We rarely get to have historical dramas surrounding the Qin / Warring States Period so this is a nice change. 

Actually, a lot of "pseudohistory" come from Sima Qian. He was an important figure amongst Chinese historians and greatly helped the recollection of Chinese history, but for Qin dynasty and stuff about Qin Shihuang, I would take what he said as a grain of salt. Back then, there was no concept of autobiography or historical FACTS, and historians used to change actual historical events in a way to make things more interesting, to spice things up, like a fictional autobiography. Which is how Qin Shihuang's illegitimate birth came to be. Merchants were considered the lowest in terms of status at that time, so what better way to tarnish the first emperor's name by making them related. I can't say for sure how accurate Zhao Ji is historically based on what Sima Qian said, but it is agreed that she was a messy and thoughtless/careless woman. She was left alone for years with her child in Zhao and then brought back to Qin only for her husband to die a few years later. She was a lonely person who craved to have someone by her side. I pity what she has gone through. As per Qin's rules, there was nothing wrong for a Queen Dowager have a male consort (Lao Ai), but they cannot have any power. Zhao Ji was careless and gave him so much power which got Lao Ai to rebel against Qin Shihuang and wanting to murder him. This was what went wrong with her. Had she only made Lao Ai a simple male consort without any power, maybe everything would've turned out differently and her image would not have been tarnished or bashed amongst historians. Just my two cents. 

@therewillbeddl "I still feel like YR's decision on this matter was too cruel for HL. :( And yes, the part where YR said he'd never forgive her for leaving him alone if she died during labor makes a great parallel to HL never forgiving him for abandoning her like that. "

Yes, YR's decision is not an easy one for HL...or for himself. But, if you remember their scene together earlier in the story (== YR and HL were in the rain after they just heard that LBW "died"), YR's decision reminds me of that scene. In the rain, YR yelled at HL that she cannot just forget everything else, in order to grieve...Anther thought I had about YR's decision is that YR couldn't face HL at the end -- physically or emotionally. It was too difficult and painful.

Now, I really have to keep watching (episodes 47 - end)...heehee

• Like 1

I find it weird when people can justify YR's action in denying HL everything with regards to his death. To me, his action just simply meant that he is a jerk. People would be harsh if this happened in K-dramas, the infamous troupe of NOBLE IDIOCY.... but any action of ROBBING the other party's (in a relationship) involvement isn't fair at all and unacceptable. 

He has been a jerk after all. He hides his sickness from her, listening too much to the poking of his mom, Siluo and even Princess Ya, driving her further away from him which obviously meant he never trusted her, and then angry with her when she couldn't understand his true intention (which ofc for the so-called most noble reasons). He has been denying her every chances in making decision with regards to the life that they shared and their relationship. If this action coming from LBW, I am sure a lot would called him whatever sick names they could come up with. Guess, I don't feel bad that I dislike YR from the get go. I really still dislike YR until the end.

Even then, I still find it's weird that HL doesn't know that he has been sick all along. I mean you share the same bed with that man and you couldn't tell that he is sick? If she cares enough, she could have known even without being told. This, I blame on the lousy writing.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

How is this drama now people were disliking it at the start but did it get better?? 

Also is it following history alot or more fiction?? 

Don't expect the show to follow history because that would be controversial. Zhao Ji is not a figure the Chinese have high regards on. At the rate they are going now, I am expecting they will turn LBW into the stalker of Haolan once YR is dead and there's Lao Ai who will have obsessive love for her. Honestly, even LBW is on the borderline of being obsessed of her. Almost all men are obsessed of her and almost all women are envious of her. That is why she is the LEGEND here.

It does get better but again, don't expect any kind of Yanxi level. Personally, I don't really like the female lead. She doesn't have the kind of compassion and gratefulness that Yingluo has despite being also smart and cunning. She always have a predetermined mindset on people without care to understand the motivation behind certain action and that's why I couldn't really take a liking on her.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SailBeneteau said:

@therewillbeddl

@lyserose

Has anyone thought about whether the historical accounts of Zhao Ji (aka Hao Lan) are actually correct?? To my knowledge, the historical facts were reported by a court historian (Sima Qian who was alive around 135BC-86BC, much after Qin Shi Huang); it is known that he really hated Qin Shi Huang and wanted to show that his birth was illegitimate. We know now that Sima Qian is/was an unreliable historian on this matter.

Why can't we enjoy the creation of Hao Lan's story (circa 2019)? I applaud the creators/producers/directors/actors/team of Legend of Hao Lan for telling a story we can enjoy...

My two cents only!

As I mentioned earlier, I do know that Sima Qian harboured great resentment towards Qin Shi Huang and being a historian of Han Dynasty who succeeded the Qin Dynasty, some details could be fabricated. After all, history are written by winners.

But then, it would be interesting to watch a translation that doesn't veer too far from what is "widely" known despite this being a drama and not a documentary. When you choose to put on spotlight on a controversial figure as in Zhao Ji, some creativity on the scandalous elements would be very much appreciated. Again, I do understand nobody wants to watch a drama where the heroine is of low moral but my point is still the same.... it would be interesting to place Lao Ai in other kind of plot other than an obsessed admirer, or that LBW handed her over instead of being "Fuheng-ed".

I can't really applaud the creative team behind Haolan because it is far from creative. As pointed by @danielassny The "all men are in love with her and all women are jealous of her" troupe is too cliche. As I said earlier, if not for the reunion of NY and WJY and my enthusiasm on history, I probably wouldn't stay watching.

39 minutes ago, danielassny said:

I find it weird when people can justify YR's action in denying HL everything with regards to his death. To me, his action just simply meant that he is a jerk. People would be harsh if this happened in K-dramas, the infamous troupe of NOBLE IDIOCY.... but any action of ROBBING the other party's (in a relationship) involvement isn't fair at all and unacceptable. 

He has been a jerk after all. He hides his sickness from her, listening too much to the poking of his mom, Siluo and even Princess Ya, driving her further away from him which obviously meant he never trusted her, and then angry with her when she couldn't understand his true intention (which ofc for the so-called most noble reasons). He has been denying her every chances in making decision with regards to the life that they shared and their relationship. If this action coming from LBW, I am sure a lot would called him whatever sick names they could come up with. Guess, I don't feel bad that I dislike YR from the get go. I really still dislike YR until the end.

Even then, I still find it's weird that HL doesn't know that he has been sick all along. I mean you share the same bed with that man and you couldn't tell that he is sick? If she cares enough, she could have known even without being told. This, I blame on the lousy writing.

I think we were discussing specifically YR's decision to burn his gifts to Hao Lan, and we pretty much all agree that that was a manipulative move. With regards to his health, yeah I wasn't fond of his decision either. He told her that she should trust him and come to him if his mom made her life difficult, but he didn't do the same for her :\ 

As for listening to the toxic persuasion of others, again, without seeing those eps (and only seeing brief previews and the discussions here), I feel like it was jealousy with LBW more than lack of trust for Hao Lan. He still firmly believed that HL didn't cheat and that Zheng'er is his son, but he was jealous of any remaining affections she has for LBW. It sounded like while he was swayed by others, he still said that as long as he was alive she was his queen. For him to be affected by the words of others after holding steadfast devotion for so long, I think it's pretty realistic and nuanced. I can't wait to find out the full story behind all of this! (And again I think this drama is all the more interesting because everyone here is severely flawed).

I think HL had suspected something is up because in one ep YR's eunuch mentioned that she had been asking him about YR's health a lot and it has become difficult to hide. And note that they might not always sleep together, and can go several days without seeing each other. When YR got really sick, I could imagine that he would just make up some excuse not to see her. And since he had always been sickly since he was young, she probably was concerned (hence the asking the eunuch), but didn't think too much of it.

@SailBeneteau well, from my reading (from few sources only) LBW gave Zhaoji Lao Ai to cover up their scandal. But this piece of info is so contradicting from the flow of drama now... The writer purposely show how hard HL fell for LBW, turned to him when she face any obstacle, longed for him even she already got marry to YR and still have some feeling for LBW after 8 years. If in the last 6 episodes she suddenly become a lusty Zhaoji like the one in histrory, that is a total richard simmons kind of plot writing from writer. The writer also emphasis LBW's obsessiveness over HL especially after time skip. If he suddenly gave HL a male pet just to cover his illicit fair, that writer must be crazy and I want to slap him silly. 

@danielassny i hope this is just my misinterpretation. When HL knew YR's sickness, she kinda blame LBW for didn't let her know. Is it true? 

Also interesting to note that even LBW himself discovered YR’s true intentions behind his decisions (framing Siluo, Princess Ya, basically getting rid of everyone considered a threat, and preparing HL and their son’s future after his death), while HL realized much later...considering how smart she usually is. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, therewillbeddl said:

Also interesting to note that even LBW himself discovered YR’s true intentions behind his decisions (framing Siluo, Princess Ya, basically getting rid of everyone considered a threat, and preparing HL and their son’s future after his death), while HL realized much later...considering how smart she usually is. 

Yes! Came back here to say that I just watched ep 56 and now everything is clear! Yiren actually didn't believe his mom and Siluo, it was all an act!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, therewillbeddl said:

@therewillbeddl Thanks for the note! I must keep watching! It is not surprising that YR knows what's "really going on"...

I have found some Youtube/interview clips with the actors. They explain their characters in some insightful ways:

1) Mao Zijun explains Ying Yiren:

<

2) Wu Jinyan explains Hao Lan:

<

3) Hai Lin explains Princess Ya:

<

>

4) Nie Yuan explains Lu Buwei:

<

>

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

Yes! Came back here to say that I just watched ep 56 and now everything is clear! Yiren actually didn't believe his mom and Siluo, it was all an act!

It was all an act but still noble idiocy is the biggest crime in any drama. I still reiterate my opinion that he robbed her from her rights in making decision. It's like how I always get annoyed with my colleagues. making decision all on her own and claiming credits for it, so will appear like she is the clever one or in this case, YR will emerge as the noble one. What the heck? Secondly, I will consider that person as downgrading my intellect to think that I cannot be trusted in any of life decision or that my mouth is so big that I will leak all his grand planning and finally, he is so full of himself to want her to thank him for his so-called selfless action and lives in regret for how she misunderstood him. Again triple what the heck?????

1 hour ago, kyoko22 said:

@danielassny i hope this is just my misinterpretation. When HL knew YR's sickness, she kinda blame LBW for didn't let her know. Is it true? 

No. Not really. The way I see it, HL always have a prejudice towards LBW that he loves power more than anything which is partially true. She always thought that he schemed everything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, insertusernamehere said:

I think HL had suspected something is up because in one ep YR's eunuch mentioned that she had been asking him about YR's health a lot and it has become difficult to hide. And note that they might not always sleep together, and can go several days without seeing each other. When YR got really sick, I could imagine that he would just make up some excuse not to see her. And since he had always been sickly since he was young, she probably was concerned (hence the asking the eunuch), but didn't think too much of it.

When I mentioned they share the same bed, it was just a generic reference. He could be sleeping alone at time and ofc, there's Siluo. Sure she knows he has always been sick since in Zhao but his health apparently deteriorates and his cough is getting worse and still she could not see beyond it. And HL by nature is someone who would investigate should she find something suspicious. She knows about medicines for the epidemic area being tempered and she fights over the issue but she doesn't follow up on anything with regards to Yingren's health despite suspecting something not adding up?

1 hour ago, danielassny said:

When I mentioned they share the same bed, it was just a generic reference. He could be sleeping alone at time and ofc, there's Siluo. Sure she knows he has always been sick since in Zhao but his health apparently deteriorates and his cough is getting worse and still she could not see beyond it. And HL by nature is someone who would investigate should she find something suspicious. She knows about medicines for the epidemic area being tempered and she fights over the issue but she doesn't follow up on anything with regards to Yingren's health despite suspecting something not adding up?

I don't think he sleeps with Siluo after Hao Lan comes back; she mentioned that he didn't visit her for half a year in the ep when HL came back. But yes I agree that was an oversight by the writer, given that HL is smart, so smart that she recognized fake Yiren back when they were in Zhao. I have to say though the whole plot twist was satisfying to watch - I'm only at 56 so all the things you mentioned about him wanting her to live in regret, I haven't seen yet, but if that was true, then that is not a great move by Yiren! And I never disagreed with you about him taking away her decision power - like I mentioned above, he wanted her to share her difficulties with him, but he didn't do the same for her. If he hid the plan from her because he thought she would leak it, I'd be very surprised - that seems out of character for him, given he fully knows how capable she is. He even wanrs Siluo to not mess with Hao Lan for Siluo's own good. I guess I'll have to wait and see!