Quantcast
jadecloud

[Current Mainland WebDrama 2019] The Legend of Hao Lan / Beauty Hao Lan 皓镧传

This drama isn't exactly as talked about or followed compared to other running shows yet the production is one of the best I've seen. Everything from the cinematography, costumes, soundtrack to the subtle undertones makes it such an enjoyable experience. I especially  like the mens costumes here, particularly royal Qin outfits. But is it just me or almost everyone has better outfits or hairstyle than Hao Lan? 

Anywho with 10 eps left to go and grown up Ying Zheng...all loose ends should be wrapping up pretty soon. And to the surprise of no one really, grown up Zheng Er isn't exactly a charming young man on first impressions lol. 

At this point of the drama, there are still a few burning questions ... like where are they going with Xiaochun's storyline? Bailing Er? Hao Lan and LBW? Lao Ai?  

Ps. Actor for grown up Lao Ai kinda reminds me of a poor man's Eddie Peng ?? 

Thoughts on Xiaochun etc as of ep52:

Spoiler

Tease us with a budding potential "love/hate" romance between XC and General Bai (a strangely hot ship I'm all) over last couple eps then throw a wrench into any hopes for that, when Gen Bai pretty much had Prince Yi brutally killed right in front of her. Mainly because he's enemy, with a slither of jealousy? :P  But XC recovering quickly with no grudges and a complete different attitude towards the gen is suspicious.

Looking around online comments... interesting enough many ppl ship Xiao Chun with either generals but Yi.  Maybe it's the way they handled Yi-XC romance, but Yi is too pouty to be likable imo. Consensus had it out for Gao Hao Yang aka. Hot general with lil boy crush on our doctress, too bad we all know what happened with that one :anguished:

A XC-Gen Bai romance is very unlikely BUT crazier things have happened in this drama so hey. Plus our girl Xiaochun deserves some love after all the blood, guts, and twisted royal family shenanigans she never asked to be part of all these years. All she wanted was to heal people, grind some herbs and for sake of her sanity give people a much deserved earful once in awhile

As for Bailing Er...I just feel really sorry for her at this point. Annoying yes, but prob one of the few or only wholesome characters in the drama. She doesnt deserve what she is going thru atm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@peanutbutterjellytime I really love the Royal Qin costume. The dark material cloth really makes the embroidary stand out. Especially the black and red costume. 

As for Bailing... Haih... This girl is so pitiful. If only she did not fall in live a complicated man like LBW. And if only she knows how to step back when LBW rejected her again and again. 

• Like 1

@peanutbutterjellytime @kyoko22

Hmm... None of the current running shows are much talked about either. The best performing is perhaps Minglan but I read a lot of complaints that the show is boring. And despite the most talked about among the running shows, it isn't really trending on weibo either. 

Am I the only one getting tired of LBW pestering on Haolan? Honestly, I don't feel sorry for Yingren (well, he deserves to feel threatened since he stole her from him) when LBW making advances on HL but I just want him to focus on his main goal that is power and wealth. 

Well, I prefer the costumes in Qin. Looking more regal except I hate almost all of the headdress on the women. They either looked like cleopatra wannabes or some kind of a gear attached to people with cervical injury. But then, I like that now the men has grown mustauche and beard. They all look better. 

And what's with this ambiguity with the relationship? I agree, idk where they are going with the love triangles between LBW-HL-YR and GB-XC-Yi. 

If they are to follow history, HL is to pursue LBW after YR's death but I doubt they will go this route, they will likely make LBW chasing the widowed HL but she will choose to stay noble and widowed for the sake of her son. Again, where's Lao Ai in this? 

• Like 1

@danielassny If I'm not mistaken (due to language barrier) I saw a short clip where few young boys brought up to Mrs Huayang's palace and got whip in front of her. One of the boys is Lao Ai. If this is true, looks like Lao Ai is Mrs Huayang's people. And tonight's episodes, Haolan confessed her love for LBW straight to YR's face. So, it is impossoble for Lao Ai to be her secret lover.

1 hour ago, kyoko22 said:

@danielassny If I'm not mistaken (due to language barrier) I saw a short clip where few young boys brought up to Mrs Huayang's palace and got whip in front of her. One of the boys is Lao Ai. If this is true, looks like Lao Ai is Mrs Huayang's people. And tonight's episodes, Haolan confessed her love for LBW straight to YR's face. So, it is impossoble for Lao Ai to be her secret lover.

Ya. I know that he is Lao Ai. What I meant is what role would he play in this saga? My suspect is that he will be the one that driven the wedge between Haolan+LBW and ZhengEr and led to their downfalls. 

ZhengEr saw his mom's secret tryst with LBW tonight (though nothing happened but just a misunderstanding) and this already set the motion for him to get rid of LBW. 

Haolan confessed her love to LBW directly to YR? Wow... That's huge since she always act indifferent around LBW. I haven't watch that part yet since my internet line sucks at the wrong time. 

• Like 1

@danielassny oh, HL didn't confess when LBW was there. HL and YR argued about something which led to YR's jealousy to LBW (i guess). So, HL admitted that she always remember LBW in her heart. Well, YR vomitted blood because of this argument. He knows HL loves LBW. Still dare to steal her using trick. Now, he must face the real truth. All this time HL never love him.

About Lao Ai, I also wonder what the writers prepare for him. The Queen Mother era is about 5 to 6 episodes. Just how his appearence going to affect LBW and HL. The episodes are not that long for him to create something really big.

i'm on episode 52 there are about 60 some episodes. i'm addicted to this show! i just want to know what will happen in the end. cause i was really rooting for Hao Lan and her story but her and Yiren the 4th prince son heir to the Qing throne just literally killed his horse after the arrow fight with that Bai military guy who was just testing him. The wicked Princess Ya made the false rumor that the son is not really Yirens but if you look at Yirens dad his son takes after his own father who was ruthless and sent I mean FORCED his military general (Bais Dad) to die because he wanted I mean craved for more power. At first he didn't want his Yiren to get hurt but towards the second half of the battle he really didn't care if his son lived or died. Sorry this is extremely long. Half of me wants to believe Yiren and Hao Lans son became this way because he was picked on by other kids, lived in isolation, groomed to be the king by his father who knows he doesn't have long to live - did you all see his preteen son sitting in the court room while the king gave out orders to imprison or execute some guy. Maybe it has to do with Yirens son having to defend himself when that guy tried to drown him in the water before he arrived at Qing he learned how to stab someone in the neck the same way he stabbed his horse. Maybe it's his nature since his grandfather didn't care who lived or died as long as his kingdom expanded. Maybe it's both nature and nuture. But I don't foresee a benelovent king in this boy the writers are already planting seeds of doubt dropping these clues. I'm curious to see what will happen. I'm just curious why like someone said Yiren didn't act sooner to bring his wife and son back why did he marry another woman and left Hao Lan and their son alone for 8+ years! 5 years at most for me. Maybe he wanted to wait till he was in power so he never had to be at the mercy or submission of others vying for the throne. One thing is for sure I wish Princess Ya would just fcking perish to dust already she gives the MOST trouble all the trouble stem from her crazy jealous vindictive and evil plans. She should've like a commenter said be killed off already. How does she keep coming back around doing what she does Christ Almighty I'm so sick of her she's the one who ruins everything. When she said Yirens mom was lonely and miserable lmaoo I was like Princess Ya is talking about herself!!! 

To be fair, you can’t really say YR “stole” HL from LBW. 1) Everyone thought LBW was dead, 2) HL herself consented to marrying YR without regrets in Ep 31. Plus, it’s kind of wrong to call it as such since it somewhat implies that HL was merely an object that belonged to someone when she’s her own person who has freedom of making decisions for herself. 

Now, Idk where they’re going with this love triangle. I’m in the latest eps and watched the previews and they’re making HL/YR more and more 虐 only for the sake of it, which is lazy writing and something Chinese dramas LOVE to do. They fight like a married couple (albeit the good chemistry), making each other mad and jealous, one using LBW, the other using his concubines while YR refuses to be honest with her when it comes to his health. Like everyone else on Weibo, I guess they’re going to drag it till he dies until HL finds out about it and realizes her feelings for him when it’s too late, while also hating him for not telling him. I hate misunderstandings that drag for a lot of episodes before being cleared. Then, there’s LBW not leaving her alone while she pushes him away and Ying Zheng growing more suspicious and developing hatred for LBW. I wonder how Lao Ai will fit in all of this. 

• Like 2

If you take the word "stole" directly at face value, hence you interpreted it that way. He was taking advantage in making her marrying him in the first place. Ofc HL will say she has no regret, being a prideful person that she is. And the term "stolen" is always used when referred to someone (taken away) that is still in a relationship, it doesn't mean she is his property though rightfully she is since LBW bought her with 20k of gold. 

I don't see HL using LBW to make YR jealous. She keeps pushing him away but he keeps coming to her which annoyed me. YR oth is using Siluo to make her jealous but now HL already knew that he is sick. And again, it is indeed lazy writing. Noble idiocy in any drama is a big no. To convince me that she loves YR, i don believe it. It's more like an obligation. 

I feel Princess Ya's stay is way too long. They just couldn't find a more credible villain, thus making her lingering around in her various hairstyles ala in Paris fashion week spurting her evil plans. And i don't understand why none of these smart people could outwit to get rid of her. So, I am guessing once Lao Ai is in, she will be out. 

@kyoko22 HL confession to YR is actually her way of trying to spite him out of anger, since he doesn't trust her, so she just spurted those hurtful words. Idk if she genuinely mean what she said to him. But the way she cared and still affected by LBW when he was sick is quite telling. 

• Like 3

thank you @danielassny and @zhxzhx for the preview of the coming eps. I saw short preview clips and got SO anxious argh.

I agree with everyone here that Princess Ya, while a compelling character, has really overstayed her welcome. I feel like the writer missed a chance to provide a more complex foe for Hao Lan, a foe that is not motivated by competition for some other man who's into Hao Lan. Yiren's birth mom was an interesting foe as you could argue that from her POV, Hao Lan is a threat in many ways, but too bad her character (the mom) is not very interesting. 

It looks like from eop 50 onwards it'll be angst after angst. Yiren is no angel but the writer made him suffer so much :( I'm a new fan of Mao Zi Jun! He portrayed perfectly Yiren's quiet cunning, devotion to Hao Lan that's parallel with his ambitions. Too bad none of his previous dramas looks that interesting to me, and he was only in supporting roles lol If anyone has watched a previous drama of his that they would like to recommend, I'm all ears!

• Like 1

@insertusernamehere I really enjoyed Mao Zi Juns performance! His eyes and the intensity they long for Hao Lan the character same with Nie Yuan he is also great here as well as the girl who played the servant who watched over Hao Lan back at Zhao palace and the step brother of Hao Lan one of the generals of Zhao it's a shame he got killed off. The third son who was crowned king I'm soo upset he died too he was great. It's so hard to find the actors names besides the emperors and the enemies of the main characters none of the websites have the FULL cast names. Also the actor who played General Bai is also really good looking and so was the woman who played the Han concort she was absolutely stunning. And I'm the same I love THIS period drama soo much I'm watching *Destiny Of The While Snake* Mao Jun is in it. The ensemble cast they hired an insanely talented acting is believable and an amazing script and not to mention great looking cast. I wish Princess Ya had more depth to her she's very immature not like her mom Empress Dowager of Zhao who had depth and you kind of never knew where a person was with were with her always on their toes never know when she will spare someone, kill someone, use someone, or abandon someone. I also think the brother who was supposed to marry to Hao Lan gave the best performance of his life in the scene talking about how he had to fend for himself when his mom passed in the royal palace. Like that shows character depth. 

I think the reason why Yirens mom dislikes Hao Lan so much is because she arrived to Qing too late their son was already went from an infant to a grown child that half a decade and more created a lot of doubt in her mind. If anything Yirens mom is a naive woman. She's so used to Yirens second wife and the fact Hao Lans a Zhao but most importantly because Princess Ya spread malicious rumors saying Hao Lans son wasn't Yirens and that HL has intimate relations with BuWei its like a perfect concoction of disdain and doubt created by Princess Ya like I said all problems stem from her and it's like damn the girl had a husband and she even became pregnant and purposely fell off the stairs to abort her child. Like why did she do that? Not to mention she killed the innocent woman and stole her identity. Why did she kill her baby? Will the baby get in the way of her plans? Or does she just not want to bring a baby into this world... There's no complexity or rhyme or reason for what she does she's driven purely by infatuation, unrequited love, jealousy and rage to me that is so sad she would go to all the extremes to maim to kill to destroy lives over frivolous unrequited love 

@insertusernamehere Same! I’ve seen most of Mao Zijun’s dramas since they’re quite popular but he always played supported roles. I didnt pay attention to him much back then, but I feel like Yi Ren is his breakthrough amongst the general public.  Also, he says that he likes playing heartbreaking/angsty characters so it kinda makes sense with YR lol. 

Spoiler

This video might interest you 

Edited by therewillbeddl
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

wow i tried to give the other dramas a go but i just don't like how the female characters are always written to be so weak needing of rescue and inevitably sacrificing a man to save them. what's great about Legend of Hao Lan is the female character are all strong full of conviction. Even if they're faced with danger they still keep going they don't cower and hide away. It's so much more refreshing. Seeing weak women is boring and over played 

15 hours ago, kyoko22 said:

@danielassny ahhh... Hahaha. Then it is me who take the situation wrongly. Do you know why HL and YR argue again after she came back from treating LBW?

Actually when they argued after he caught her with LBW, HL only told YR that he should already accepted her past with LBW and brought up about him marrying and having a child with Siluo during her absence. She said that he is still in her heart only because that's what YR wanted to hear, thus admitting her guilt the way he wanted to believe so. Because she said it out of anger, i am not sure if she meant it. Also, she was jealous when she saw Siluo with YR and gave her 30 beatings. Honestly, idk who she actually loves more. I think she only loves herself.

Hmm.... Rethinking over. LBW doesn't really pester her. For that 3 years since she became queen, he doesn't make advances. He came to see her when they got caught was only to clarify why HL been avoiding him. He doesn't seek for her when he was down with illness, instead send her home. I just hope they don't turn him into a stalker of HL once YR is dead. He has been a good schemer to attain his ambition, should not let a woman becoming his main goal now. 

HL and YR argued again after she returned because he overheard HL arguing with his mom who accused HL of staying at the epedemic town under the pretense of aiding with the relief operation but actually there to meet LBW. She nudged YR to strip her off her queen title. YR wanted HL to apologize to his mom, also accusing her of the secret tyrst with LBW and said that she doesn't deserve her queen title. That's why HL threw away her queen' emblem and caused YR to vomit blood. Before he left, he said that as long as he lives, she will always be his queen. 

• Like 1

The preview where YR died is up and it is soooo angsty and sad. YR let everyone else including LBW see him on his deathbed, but refused to let HL see him even for one last time and ordered to burn all his gifts he’s given to her, which is how she says she would never forgive him in this lifetime (we guessed that right). I feel like there are two ways to interpret his intentions. Either he doesn’t want HL to be sadder than she would’ve been (had she seen him one last time), or he intends for HL to think about him more than she would have and to never forget about him for the rest of her life. If it’s the latter, it might’ve been the smartest yet most manipulative thing he’s done, even at the time of his death lmaooo

• Like 1

@therewillbeddl thank you so much for that great clip!! I feel like the role of Yiren came to MZJ at just the right time - looking at his previous roles, he obviously has improved leaps and bounds, and his appearance has also become more mature. And it looks like his previous roles were either "good guy" or "bad guy" types of roles, whereas Yiren is a perfect mix of gray. I'm not ready for the angst from his death that you described :( and lol agree with both interpretations of his actions. We need to see the full ep but I think his action is motivated by all of what you mentioned: sulking about HL & LBW, not wanting her to be reminded of him too much which would make her sad, but at the same time wanted her to remember him forever. All makes sense and is in character for him, at the same time very human (I could imagine anyone who dies before their spouse to have those mixed emotions of "I don't want you to be sad but I also don't want you to forget me").

@danielassny  I agree that she loves herself the most, but not in a selfish way. I really like what she told Princess Ya in the past - that she decided to love herself the most and would leave any man that mistreats her. And I think she loves both men, in different ways, which is why I appreciate that the drama (up until now) doesn't make her declare "forever love" to either. LBW is obviously her soulmate, someone she can't forget but will not abandon her "career"/goals/promise with Yiren for. Yiren is someone she's grateful to, and someone she has developed a familial bond with. This type of complicated affections is very true to life, and probably even more so in the era that they live in. I appreciate that it's not really about "will she or won't she" like in Kdramas (where the female lead can't make up her mind and keep going back and forth between 2 male leads), since we all know she was married to Yiren and at least in this drama had no affair with LBW. It's really about the complicated emotions of a woman who has agency and ambitions, and has the good and bad luck of meeting two very different men who played different but equally important roles in her life. If anything, I wish they could just forever stay as a trio :P they work well together as three and keep each other balanced & functional! (My favorite scenes are always when they used to plot together in Zhao!)

• Love 1

13 hours ago, joy joy 1 said:

@danielassny yup the costumes of this historical drama sold me too they just look absolutely regal and stunning. but the hair they look like they're in either the fifth element or natalie portman in star wars lol 

Yes, the costumes, settings, etc (all of the details of each scene) are very impressive! Do you like the opening/ending songs and images too? They are beautiful and very artistic.