[Current Mainland WebDrama 2019] The Legend of Hao Lan / Beauty Hao Lan 皓镧传

-jade-

I have been following Haolan daily at icdrama. But with my 1% mandarin capacity, I am frustrated to why Yiren has to marry another girl (episode 39-44) and has another boy with that girl during that 8 years he was apart with Haolan. Did he ever try to visit Haolan and his son? I love how he treated Haolan at first but somehow I felt so betrayed when he married the girl and consummated that very night! That really made my heart hurts! Instead of protecting Haolan not to create another variable, now he is created another heartache for his own family, his sons fighting for his attention, sad history repeated itself by one who cannot zip his pants up.

Fast forward, 8 years later, it is not him who find ways to pick up Haolan and his son. It was Haolan came to the city to find him. Hey Yiren, what happen my sweet King? look at LBW, he is still waiting for Haolan...

I am also watching I will never let you go, the main actor (Zhang bin bin) loves Ariel and always on the look for her and protect her even they are apart. And keep himself. Just like 10 miles peach blossoms main actor faithfulness.

Oh, help me to get over my disappointment over Yiren. I don't know if my weak heart if can finish this unending drama.

Also that evil zhao princess, why now after all the bad things she did, even killed the other kind princess that was supposed to be in her position now, she has the high position even pregnant with Yiren"s brother's baby and that prince loves her pieces. Oh my ...I don't know how far I can stand all these unjust plots and unending bad things happening to good people. 

• Like 2

@luv2munch I can't believe I am defending Yingren since it has been clear that my preference is towards Lu Bu Wei but I still think I need to justify his part.

As in my earlier reply post, he married Siluo (the concubine of Lady Huayang's choice) out of political reason. He needs to be in her good grace and needs to convince her that he is filial enough for her to adopt him. And she is Lord Anguo's primary consort and becoming her official son, means the throne is going to be his upon his father's passing. Please bear in mind, Lord Anguo has more than 20 sons and Yingren actually didn't stand a chance if not for not schemes of LBW.

Secondly, I know it's a bit messed up when watching historical dramas with modern perspective (Just like how difficult it was to digest marriage between siblings in K-dramas Moon Lovers and Hwarang). "I Never Let You Go" is a fusion-historical, thus they can romanticize the leads. Whereas in here, they based on real life figures. Men those days married and reproduced for various reasons. I don't believe that LBW didn't take in any concubines during that period. He may be did, but his love is for Haolan. The same goes with Yingren. This is my complaint on this drama where the writers not playing fair cards on the love interests. In order to elevate the other's love, another one has to be downgraded (The same happened in Yanxi where Fuheng was portrayed as a virgin until he died whereas Qianlong bedding many women).

Also, it is impossible for Yingren to visit Haolan in Zhao. Please remember, in Zhao, he is a hostage prince. LBW made several attempts to get him out of Zhao and return to Qin and that also, he barely escaped Zhao. The plan was to get Yingren out of Zhao first and then only retrieve Haolan and his son. Just that in comparison, the effort to get Haolan and son to Qin came more from LBW even when Yingren is in better power position in Qin. 

• Like 9

My fellow Buwei- Haolan shippers :bawling: sooo good to see some of us still there!! Yes Lu Buwei has been hard on poor HL's heart but I think he has redeemed himself more than one instance. He never hid who he is and his intentions, and though ambition and pursuits of wealth/power are all that's on his mind, instinctively Hao Lan has become his true weakness and he knows. 

Seeing the other layer of Yiren come out in Qin is surprising but not shocking. Personally it adds more intrigue to the character, otherwise he'd just be another mild tempered intelligent scholar type. Even as a BW-HL shipper, his

Spoiler

early sweet as honey married life in Zhao, was probably one of my most favorite parts of this drama so far. And just oh so wholesome. If it were up to Hao Lan, she would choose that kind of simple happy life for rest of her days. Though she understood Yiren's actions in Qin, she couldn't fully accept it. But what Yiren thinks is her being mad at him, her distance is just a tool to keep him interested. As HL had witnessed or lived and learned, there is no certainty with love. 

• Like 1

Hi all.

Glad to find this new safe heaven. 

My interest on this drama stemming from the hangover of Yanxi palace where my fave CP is Qianlong and Yingluo. Their chemistry in Yanxi is just so lit and I am happy that the demonstrated the same level of amazing chemistry. Thus, this naturally make me a Bu Wei x Hao Lan shipper. 

Watching up to the latest episode... I may say that I am jumping ship now. I am currently shipping LBW with Bailing Er. She is so adorable and despite how childish she is, she really provides a good shoulder for him and I hope LBW will appreciate her. 

I also hope LBW will be done with HL. There's no point chasing a woman whom is happily married and she has made it clear to him that she wants to become an empress. It breaks my heart how she wants to discard him when he has been a great force behind her rise, despite that his initial intention was to simply exploit her. He has paid his debt to her - whatever his manipulation already offset by her betrayal by marrying YR. 

LBW should just focus on his ambition and create a happy personal life with Bailing Er. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, danielassny said:

LBW should just focus on his ambition and create a happy personal life with Bailing Er. 

It's interesting that you should say that... I was watching/re-watching... was it 29 or 30 last night and wondered if Bailing Er would become a romantic interest for LBW down the line. Haha... I loved how he gave her a good spanking until she admitted that she was wrong. And then like a normal kid who has been properly disciplined, she became intrigued. The shrew's been tamed. ;)

The notion that he might end up with her would be weird and wonderful.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It's interesting that you should say that... I was watching/re-watching... was it 29 or 30 last night and wondered if Bailing Er would become a romantic interest for LBW down the line. Haha... I loved how he gave her a good spanking until she admitted that she was wrong. And then like a normal kid who has been properly disciplined, she became intrigued. The shrew's been tamed. ;)

The notion that he might end up with her would be weird and wonderful.

Spoiler

Yes. She is persistent to chase LBW though LBW never returned het feeling. They got married later. Bailing presented herself in front of Lord Angou (nudged by Princess Ya) and requested to be married to LBW. LBW tried to object but Yingren also persuade Lord Angou. So, Lord Angou bestowed the marriage to LBW with Bailing. And another woman who suffered of one sided love. Whatever she do, LBW never fall for her. It is sad because LBW didn't appreciate her love. But then, it is also not fully LBW's fault. He never entertained her feeling. And she was the one who force for the marriage. In the end, she herself who fell into sadness because LBW will never love her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol. Now they bring up the paternity of Yingzheng but Xiaochun proven that the child belongs to Yingren. Idk but i read some discussions on weibo that the child was of pre-mature birth. So, again....  that child's paternity becomes the subject of argument. 

LBW kinda detests Bailing Er but she is persistent. He doesn't t treat her well but I hope he will come to appreciate her eventually. Situ Que actually likes Bailing Er, too bad she is married to his master. 

@kyoko22 Yingren has a hand at marrying LBW to Bailing Er. Even after all those years, he still feel challenged by his presence in Haolan's life. LBW initially keeps a distance from Haolan when she first arrived in Qin. That is until he got pissed off by Yingren's scheming his marriage and drunkenly confessed his love for Haolan. The reunion scene between them after not meeting for 8years and the drunken scene really broke my heart. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danielassny said:

Lol. Now they bring up the paternity of Yingzheng but Xiaochun proven that the child belongs to Yingren. Idk but i read some discussions on weibo that the child was of pre-mature birth. So, again....  that child's paternity becomes the subject of argument. 

LBW kinda detests Bailing Er but she is persistent. He doesn't t treat her well but I hope he will come to appreciate her eventually. Situ Que actually likes Bailing Er, too bad she is married to his master. 

@kyoko22 Yingren has a hand at marrying LBW to Bailing Er. Even after all those years, he still feel challenged by his presence in Haolan's life. LBW initially keeps a distance from Haolan when she first arrived in Qin. That is until he got pissed off by Yingren's scheming his marriage and drunkenly confessed his love for Haolan. The reunion scene between them after not meeting for 8years and the drunken scene really broke my heart. 

Yes, Zheng Er borned two months early. I guess the writer try to bring the question of the father's real identity since that is one if the real mistery until now. But on LBW-HL weibo group shipper, they are more bothered whether both of them slept together or not in ep 25:tounge_xd:

During the confession scene, he must be so pissed of to drink that much. Though i still wonder how he can get to the inner palace (HL's palace) without any detection from the servants.

3 hours ago, kyoko22 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yes. She is persistent to chase LBW though LBW never returned het feeling. They got married later. Bailing presented herself in front of Lord Angou (nudged by Princess Ya) and requested to be married to LBW. LBW tried to object but Yingren also persuade Lord Angou. So, Lord Angou bestowed the marriage to LBW with Bailing. And another woman who suffered of one sided love. Whatever she do, LBW never fall for her. It is sad because LBW didn't appreciate her love. But then, it is also not fully LBW's fault. He never entertained her feeling. And she was the one who force for the marriage. In the end, she herself who fell into sadness because LBW will never love her.

2 hours ago, danielassny said:

Spoiler

Sounds like a bit of a mess ;) But definitely not inconsistent with the rest of this show. :D

I feel a little sorry that LBW is saddled with someone he doesn't love and he had very little say in his nuptials. It is also true that the lady in question is a lot younger and probably not exactly a meeting of minds. But there's a part of me... the sadistic side... that takes a bit of pleasure knowing that the master manipulator can be outmaneuvered some of the time. ;)

I don't dislike LBW at all actually. He scheming and plotting are a lot of fun to watch. And sometimes you need someone who will do what it takes, and get their hands dirty. However, it doesn't naturally follow that I should/feel obligated to root for him and HL His manipulative tendencies have nothing to do with why I'm not onboard that ship. 

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this show and watching various characters show their darker... and human sides. Not a Disney Romance that's for sure. ;)

Moreover, I'm so happy to have discovered Mao Zijun who plays Yi Ren.

@kyoko22 ZhengEr is also kind of fond of LBW lol. However, I doubt that he is LBW's son. Because if he is, LBW won't look so surprised when HL told him of her pregnancy and with that child born prematurely, he could have suspected that the child is his IF he indeed did slept with Haolan. So I am guessing that they didn't sleep together that night.

@40somethingahjumma Agree. LBW is not everyone's cup of tea. But guess because my job requires me to be ruthless and as my boss used to lecture us, "He prefers a bad person who can get the job done than a good one who could barely do much". Maybe that's why I am inclined to LBW. Personally, I don't really like Haolan. There's something about her I couldn't exactly point a finger at on why I couldn't really side her. She is as manipulative as LBW just that she failed to see it herself. At least LBW admitted to his shrewdness than Haolan always acting noble. My reason of shipping her with LBW is because of the insane chemistry that Wu Jinyan has with Nie Yuan and personally, I really am impressed by Nie Yuan both in Yanxi and in here. He is the one who kept me glued. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, danielassny said:

@40somethingahjumma Agree. LBW is not everyone's cup of tea. But guess because my job requires me to be ruthless and as my boss used to lecture us, "He prefers a bad person who can get the job done than a good one who could barely do much". Maybe that's why I am inclined to LBW. Personally, I don't really like Haolan. There's something about her I couldn't exactly point a finger at on why I couldn't really side her. She is as manipulative as LBW just that she failed to see it herself. At least LBW admitted to his shrewdness than Haolan always acting noble. My reason of shipping her with LBW is because of the insane chemistry that Wu Jinyan has with Nie Yuan and personally, I really am impressed by Nie Yuan both in Yanxi and in here. He is the one who kept me glued. 

Nie Yuan has developed into quite a reliable performer these days... highly experienced. I still consider his iteration of Zhao Yun my favourite. He is well suited to the role of LBW, capturing all the nuances of that character. I haven't seen Yanxi because on principle I cannot stomach Qing dynasty dramas. ;)

As for his chemistry with WJY...  in Haolan at least... Well, I have a very different take on it. ;) 

I think some degree of ruthlessness is required in life especially with regards to truth-telling but I think Haolan's objections are largely on how he applies it. I think she's fine when it benefits her but when it doesn't... hell hath known no fury... :P

As for Haolan I am mostly sympathetic to her cause because she's trying to navigate through some dark waters in an environment where life is cheap. I think if she had been left well alone at various points in her life to enjoy what little happiness has been granted her, she wouldn't have had to play the game to such a high level. While I can see that she and LBW love each other in their own dysfunctional way, in some ways they are rather probably too much alike. 

This drama isn't exactly as talked about or followed compared to other running shows yet the production is one of the best I've seen. Everything from the cinematography, costumes, soundtrack to the subtle undertones makes it such an enjoyable experience. I especially  like the mens costumes here, particularly royal Qin outfits. But is it just me or almost everyone has better outfits or hairstyle than Hao Lan? 

Anywho with 10 eps left to go and grown up Ying Zheng...all loose ends should be wrapping up pretty soon. And to the surprise of no one really, grown up Zheng Er isn't exactly a charming young man on first impressions lol. 

At this point of the drama, there are still a few burning questions ... like where are they going with Xiaochun's storyline? Bailing Er? Hao Lan and LBW? Lao Ai?  

Ps. Actor for grown up Lao Ai kinda reminds me of a poor man's Eddie Peng ?? 

Thoughts on Xiaochun etc as of ep52:

Spoiler

Tease us with a budding potential "love/hate" romance between XC and General Bai (a strangely hot ship I'm all) over last couple eps then throw a wrench into any hopes for that, when Gen Bai pretty much had Prince Yi brutally killed right in front of her. Mainly because he's enemy, with a slither of jealousy? :P  But XC recovering quickly with no grudges and a complete different attitude towards the gen is suspicious.

Looking around online comments... interesting enough many ppl ship Xiao Chun with either generals but Yi.  Maybe it's the way they handled Yi-XC romance, but Yi is too pouty to be likable imo. Consensus had it out for Gao Hao Yang aka. Hot general with lil boy crush on our doctress, too bad we all know what happened with that one :anguished:

A XC-Gen Bai romance is very unlikely BUT crazier things have happened in this drama so hey. Plus our girl Xiaochun deserves some love after all the blood, guts, and twisted royal family shenanigans she never asked to be part of all these years. All she wanted was to heal people, grind some herbs and for sake of her sanity give people a much deserved earful once in awhile

As for Bailing Er...I just feel really sorry for her at this point. Annoying yes, but prob one of the few or only wholesome characters in the drama. She doesnt deserve what she is going thru atm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@peanutbutterjellytime I really love the Royal Qin costume. The dark material cloth really makes the embroidary stand out. Especially the black and red costume. 

As for Bailing... Haih... This girl is so pitiful. If only she did not fall in live a complicated man like LBW. And if only she knows how to step back when LBW rejected her again and again. 

• Like 1

@peanutbutterjellytime @kyoko22

Hmm... None of the current running shows are much talked about either. The best performing is perhaps Minglan but I read a lot of complaints that the show is boring. And despite the most talked about among the running shows, it isn't really trending on weibo either. 

Am I the only one getting tired of LBW pestering on Haolan? Honestly, I don't feel sorry for Yingren (well, he deserves to feel threatened since he stole her from him) when LBW making advances on HL but I just want him to focus on his main goal that is power and wealth. 

Well, I prefer the costumes in Qin. Looking more regal except I hate almost all of the headdress on the women. They either looked like cleopatra wannabes or some kind of a gear attached to people with cervical injury. But then, I like that now the men has grown mustauche and beard. They all look better. 

And what's with this ambiguity with the relationship? I agree, idk where they are going with the love triangles between LBW-HL-YR and GB-XC-Yi. 

If they are to follow history, HL is to pursue LBW after YR's death but I doubt they will go this route, they will likely make LBW chasing the widowed HL but she will choose to stay noble and widowed for the sake of her son. Again, where's Lao Ai in this? 

• Like 1

@danielassny If I'm not mistaken (due to language barrier) I saw a short clip where few young boys brought up to Mrs Huayang's palace and got whip in front of her. One of the boys is Lao Ai. If this is true, looks like Lao Ai is Mrs Huayang's people. And tonight's episodes, Haolan confessed her love for LBW straight to YR's face. So, it is impossoble for Lao Ai to be her secret lover.

1 hour ago, kyoko22 said:

@danielassny If I'm not mistaken (due to language barrier) I saw a short clip where few young boys brought up to Mrs Huayang's palace and got whip in front of her. One of the boys is Lao Ai. If this is true, looks like Lao Ai is Mrs Huayang's people. And tonight's episodes, Haolan confessed her love for LBW straight to YR's face. So, it is impossoble for Lao Ai to be her secret lover.

Ya. I know that he is Lao Ai. What I meant is what role would he play in this saga? My suspect is that he will be the one that driven the wedge between Haolan+LBW and ZhengEr and led to their downfalls. 

ZhengEr saw his mom's secret tryst with LBW tonight (though nothing happened but just a misunderstanding) and this already set the motion for him to get rid of LBW. 

Haolan confessed her love to LBW directly to YR? Wow... That's huge since she always act indifferent around LBW. I haven't watch that part yet since my internet line sucks at the wrong time. 

• Like 1

@danielassny oh, HL didn't confess when LBW was there. HL and YR argued about something which led to YR's jealousy to LBW (i guess). So, HL admitted that she always remember LBW in her heart. Well, YR vomitted blood because of this argument. He knows HL loves LBW. Still dare to steal her using trick. Now, he must face the real truth. All this time HL never love him.

About Lao Ai, I also wonder what the writers prepare for him. The Queen Mother era is about 5 to 6 episodes. Just how his appearence going to affect LBW and HL. The episodes are not that long for him to create something really big.

i'm on episode 52 there are about 60 some episodes. i'm addicted to this show! i just want to know what will happen in the end. cause i was really rooting for Hao Lan and her story but her and Yiren the 4th prince son heir to the Qing throne just literally killed his horse after the arrow fight with that Bai military guy who was just testing him. The wicked Princess Ya made the false rumor that the son is not really Yirens but if you look at Yirens dad his son takes after his own father who was ruthless and sent I mean FORCED his military general (Bais Dad) to die because he wanted I mean craved for more power. At first he didn't want his Yiren to get hurt but towards the second half of the battle he really didn't care if his son lived or died. Sorry this is extremely long. Half of me wants to believe Yiren and Hao Lans son became this way because he was picked on by other kids, lived in isolation, groomed to be the king by his father who knows he doesn't have long to live - did you all see his preteen son sitting in the court room while the king gave out orders to imprison or execute some guy. Maybe it has to do with Yirens son having to defend himself when that guy tried to drown him in the water before he arrived at Qing he learned how to stab someone in the neck the same way he stabbed his horse. Maybe it's his nature since his grandfather didn't care who lived or died as long as his kingdom expanded. Maybe it's both nature and nuture. But I don't foresee a benelovent king in this boy the writers are already planting seeds of doubt dropping these clues. I'm curious to see what will happen. I'm just curious why like someone said Yiren didn't act sooner to bring his wife and son back why did he marry another woman and left Hao Lan and their son alone for 8+ years! 5 years at most for me. Maybe he wanted to wait till he was in power so he never had to be at the mercy or submission of others vying for the throne. One thing is for sure I wish Princess Ya would just fcking perish to dust already she gives the MOST trouble all the trouble stem from her crazy jealous vindictive and evil plans. She should've like a commenter said be killed off already. How does she keep coming back around doing what she does Christ Almighty I'm so sick of her she's the one who ruins everything. When she said Yirens mom was lonely and miserable lmaoo I was like Princess Ya is talking about herself!!! 

To be fair, you can’t really say YR “stole” HL from LBW. 1) Everyone thought LBW was dead, 2) HL herself consented to marrying YR without regrets in Ep 31. Plus, it’s kind of wrong to call it as such since it somewhat implies that HL was merely an object that belonged to someone when she’s her own person who has freedom of making decisions for herself. 

Now, Idk where they’re going with this love triangle. I’m in the latest eps and watched the previews and they’re making HL/YR more and more 虐 only for the sake of it, which is lazy writing and something Chinese dramas LOVE to do. They fight like a married couple (albeit the good chemistry), making each other mad and jealous, one using LBW, the other using his concubines while YR refuses to be honest with her when it comes to his health. Like everyone else on Weibo, I guess they’re going to drag it till he dies until HL finds out about it and realizes her feelings for him when it’s too late, while also hating him for not telling him. I hate misunderstandings that drag for a lot of episodes before being cleared. Then, there’s LBW not leaving her alone while she pushes him away and Ying Zheng growing more suspicious and developing hatred for LBW. I wonder how Lao Ai will fit in all of this. 

• Like 2

If you take the word "stole" directly at face value, hence you interpreted it that way. He was taking advantage in making her marrying him in the first place. Ofc HL will say she has no regret, being a prideful person that she is. And the term "stolen" is always used when referred to someone (taken away) that is still in a relationship, it doesn't mean she is his property though rightfully she is since LBW bought her with 20k of gold. 

I don't see HL using LBW to make YR jealous. She keeps pushing him away but he keeps coming to her which annoyed me. YR oth is using Siluo to make her jealous but now HL already knew that he is sick. And again, it is indeed lazy writing. Noble idiocy in any drama is a big no. To convince me that she loves YR, i don believe it. It's more like an obligation. 

I feel Princess Ya's stay is way too long. They just couldn't find a more credible villain, thus making her lingering around in her various hairstyles ala in Paris fashion week spurting her evil plans. And i don't understand why none of these smart people could outwit to get rid of her. So, I am guessing once Lao Ai is in, she will be out. 

@kyoko22 HL confession to YR is actually her way of trying to spite him out of anger, since he doesn't trust her, so she just spurted those hurtful words. Idk if she genuinely mean what she said to him. But the way she cared and still affected by LBW when he was sick is quite telling. 

• Like 3