Quantcast
jadecloud

[Current Mainland WebDrama 2019] The Legend of Hao Lan / Beauty Hao Lan 皓镧传

@lyserose

Spoiler

High probability the baby is LBW's. He was away for two months and HL thought he died. When he returned, HL got pregnant. And HL slept separate from the Prince.

4 hours ago, kyoko22 said:

@lyserose

Reveal hidden contents

High probability the baby is LBW's. He was away for two months and HL thought he died. When he returned, HL got pregnant. And HL slept separate from the Prince.

Hey, thanks. 

But someone said that HL experienced menstrual shortly after the wedding, hence implying she couldn't be pregnant with LBW's child. And though initially Haolan and YR have seperate sleeping arrangement, they eventually consummated their marriage not long after they got married. Plus, when Haolan told LBW about her pregnancy, he appeared shocked. 

Spoiler

@lyserose Really? Crap! I follow LBW-HL CP group on Weibo. Not many really bother about this baby. So I thought it was LBW's. Looks like we need to wait for the sub. Relying on Google Translate is really suck.

@kyoko22  Ahhhh.... the same problem and gosh, the subtitles is seriously on tortoise mode. Seriously, I couldn't be sure whose baby that is. But I still am baffled why HL so easily moved on. So, she thought LBW is dead and went on to marry Yingren immediately? Apart from Yingren's proposal saving her being implicated, I don't understand why she still want to proceed with that marriage. 

New to this thread, coming from Legend of Dugu and YanXi and currently watching Story of Ming Lan. I'm excited about this one because of the cast, but I have to say the first few episodes almost did me in. Each drama is so different from the other that I spend a lot of time comparing one to the other. But I will stick with this one, if for no other reason than the cast. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lyserose said:

@kyoko22  Ahhhh.... the same problem and gosh, the subtitles is seriously on tortoise mode. Seriously, I couldn't be sure whose baby that is. But I still am baffled why HL so easily moved on. So, she thought LBW is dead and went on to marry Yingren immediately? Apart from Yingren's proposal saving her being implicated, I don't understand why she still want to proceed with that marriage. 

@lyserose 

Spoiler

LBW got attack. I think it has something to do with the palace. HL thought he died but he just fabricate his death. So, HL wanted to revenge for LBW. I think YR proposed for fake marriage. By marrying him, HL can stay in the palace and execute her revenge. It was a fake marriage in the first place. That's why i dont believe the baby is YR because she opposed any kind of intimacy with YR after they got married. But then, this is what i understand from LBW-HL shipper group at Weibo. Not that i truly understand the episode anyway.

p/s: something to ponder about. From tonight's episode, Xiaochun said the baby will be born two months early. 

New schedule if you're catching the raw version. Now 2 eps daily, everyday. Still 8 eps behind the IQIYI VIPs.

cny-new-daily-2-eps.jpg

Original schedule. Sat to Tues. 2 episodes per day, after first 10 eps (premiere).

Spoiler

calendar.jpg

Despite the seemingly dark edges, this show is rather a lot of fun. It's one that I find surprisingly enjoyable despite all the usual palace scheming and backstabbing especially among the ladies. Evidently it's unabashedly a palace melodrama through and through.

There's no OTP for me at this stage although I like the three key conspirators. I suppose we're meant to think that HL could end up one way or another with either men although I'm rather inclined to think that her relationship with LBW has echoes of dysfunctionality in it. Make no mistake, he's an interesting anti-hero. He's a self-styled Machiavellian or at least he tries to convince himself and everyone around him that he is. The whole "I'm a business man so I make use of people..." is beginning to sound like a broken record. I like that he has plenty of get up and go... very quick on his feet but the way he treats HL is disturbing even if it's mainly to keep her at arm's length. Sure there's push back... thankfully... from her but he is incorrigible. Even if it's for show.

I guess I'm odd in that I find Ying Yiren more intriguing because I want to know what he's truly capable of. He seems so accomplished and it seems a waste that he's always under house arrest, playing his zither having to hide his true feelings. A crouching tiger hidden dragon as it were. Earlier on he would serenely go through the motions accept his lot in life, resigned to his fate but lately, on associating with HL and LBW, he's become more animated.

Except for the sister, XY, the women are generally very bright. Even the bratty Princess.

The tragedy of XY's life is not so much jealousy but coveting and gaining something she was incapable of holding on to. She was infatuated with a man who was in love with someone else and had no genuine respect for her except her political connections. Furthermore she was not intelligent or ambitious enough to gain his respect or hold his interest. After all she got him not by her own merits but through her mother's machinations. It's one thing to marry a man who doesn't love you but it's another to marry one who doesn't love you and is in love with someone else. On top of that, he's not just a man but a very ambitious prince who wants to rule more than be a husband. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I guess I'm odd in that I find Ying Yiren more intriguing because I want to know what he's truly capable of.

Oh no. You are not odd :) While I love LBW and HL too, I'm really piqued to find out what 's in store for this hostage prince. Also, while I started off really looking forward to HL+BW pairing, mainly because of Yanxi, and still loving this pairing (till now), I'm being drawn toward HL+YR for their fresher chemistry. When YR tells HL (ep 17)  'never to look for me again', I truly felt a squeeze in my heart :wacko:

Can't wait to see YR out of the underground and back in the palace as the king. :P

• Love 1

Spoiler

Before this drama start airing, by reading the history of LBW in Wiki, I thought he is a super jerk guy who is willing to let go his concubine for the sake of power. I'm so ready for the lack of romance between him and HL.

Man... how wrong I was. He loves HL so much. He didn't let HL go to marry YR. It was due misunderstanding and somw dirty trick from YR. During the 8 years transition between Zhao and Qin, it is LBW who left gold so HL and son can survive. He is the one who plan so that HL and son can come to Qin asap. The prince? He pretty much enjoy being the prince in Qin with his new concubine. He somehow forget about HL who is struggling with her son at Zhao. A very gentleman indeed. With how LBW loves HL and HL to LBW, I doubt Lao Ai will be a real lover to HL. Maybe, some smokescreen to cover the affair between HL and LBW. 

• Like 1

I still couldn't like Yinren because even after returning to Qin, he is still useless as ever. He tried to pull the Mei Changsu's card but nope, I don't see any Mei Changsu in him. Yes, I know he is a hostage prince and in a precarious position in the state of Zhao but I would expect him to play more roles (even discreetly to at least give me the impression that his mild demenour is just to mask his true potential) but whenever Haolan faces dangers, he really couldn't come up with anything. He could even barely save himself. 

That's why I prefer Lu Bu Wei. He is smart and resourceful. Yes, he may be a jerk in the ways that he broke his many promises to Haolan but a smart guy is better than a useless guy. At this rate, I am rooting for him to snatch everything that he worked so hard for.  

Regarding love... Well episode 43-44 dropped little hints to where Haolan's heart truly resides. I am still rooting for LBW and HL although I know they are not the end game. Though they couldn't match their Yanxi's chemistry, I still feel that WJY has stronger chemistry with NY than with MZJ. As I said before, the stronger Yanxi's chemistry has got a lot to do with the more solid writing there. 

Regarding Lao Ai... I just have a feeling that Haolan will eventually follow the same path as both Zhao's Queen and Lady Hanyang. It's as if the conducts of both queens secretly sneaking men into their palaces giving us inkling of how Haolan would be once she holds that position. And both queens actually did loved their husbands but somehow their idealism on love failed them, thus turning to lust over love. But then again, idk how they will dress up this scandalous side lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@lyserose After ep 25, we can safely said that LBW truly love HL. And he lost his love once. When YR died, I doubt he will allow HL to take any male pet. And from the early episode, the drama shows how HL loves LBW. Even during 8 years separation, anytime LBW's name was mentioned, there will be some response from her. Now, LBW has power,  nothing can prevent him to have her for himself again. So, I don't see any reason for HL to disappointed again resulting to keep a male pet. Lao Ai is there. We don't know yet what is his role will be but I doubt it a lover to HL

• Like 1

@kyoko22 On one hand, I appreciate they highlight on the deep love LBW has for HL... but on another hand, I am quite dissapointed over the deviation from history. I was actually hoping to see how the relationship, love and conflict between them will play out if only LBW actually "gifted" (though reluctantly) Haolan to YR as in history. And ofc, the presence of Lao Ai whom again given by LBW. They are turning LBW too much into Fuheng (sans the ambition). I guess I was hoping more on the message of how materials glory is not everything and how over-ambition and greed will lead to one's downfall. 

While LBW is more expressive of his love, I think in between LBW and YR, Haolan still love LBW more. It was obvious from her reaction when she met each man for the first time after 8 years.

And isn't LBW is set to marry Bailing?  

Oh, and I pity Lord Anguo/Yuan Chun Wang. He only tenured as a king for 2eps. Lol... At least YCW gets his wish fulfilled, albeit a short glory. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

@lyserose yes, the writer present the story as LBW even wants power but at the end he wants power to protect HL. It is YR the writer potray to be greedy, who will use any women and discard them at whim for the sake of power. He used Princess Ya's love. He married Silu to please Mrs Huayang, he said he love HL, but kinda forget her for 8 years.

The writer totally flip the story so the villain in the history becomes a hero. And those 3 trailers totally misleading. I thought at the end HL hates LBW so much 

As for Bailing,  I think the king bestowed the marriage (with the help of princess Ya and YR). Well, we don't know whether the marriage will on or not since the ep has not air yet.

Lorn Anguo? Hahaha. At last he became a king. Even just for 3 days... 

Yay a discussion thread on Hao Lan!

I discovered this drama recently, wanting to see more of the Yanxi cast (couldn't finish Yanxi because I was harem-ed out, but it was a great drama!) in a different setting. I got SUPER hooked and binged this over the weekend. I'm caught up with Hao Lan's storyline until ep 44 (**but skimmed any scene without Hao Lan, will need to go back and rewatch properly haha), so let me know if you folks have any questions about spoilers!

As for thoughts, I have SO MANY!

First off, this is a really feminist drama. The women in the show are constantly smarter than the men, and do not hesitate to use their brains and beauty for survival and desires. Even a "bad" character like Princess Ya has real moments of connecting with Hao Lan on the basis of being a woman in a shitty era. Hao Lan constantly asserts her own will in her decision, and always maintains a balanced view on gender equality. To her, being a strong woman doesn't mean you have to lose your femininity or deny real physical differences between male and female. I just love all the discussions between the characters, male and female, about gender roles and the restrictions that women suffer in that era. In a future episode, Hao Lan said (I paraphrased): "The only I decided to love the most is myself. So whether it's Yiren, or Lu Bu Wei, if a man doesn't treat me right, I'd leave." That self-esteem and self-respect! This, in contrast with all the other women in the drama who let themselves ruin their lives for terrible men, is ever the more amazing. Not to say that one shouldn't go all in for love, but a lot of these men really, really didn't deserve it. 

Second, both male leads in this drama are SO flawed (I mean, everyone in this drama is, but considering they're the "main" roles, I find it fascinating that they're so many shades of grey - as in, they're not "good guys" or "bad guys". They are both just men, sometimes terrible, most of the time decent enough, and all the time fight for what they want and are conflicted about it). I think everyone is on the Hao Lan - Lu Bu Wei ship, and it is a very compelling romance, but for some reason I really eat up the Hao Lan - Yiren romance. He's so swoony! And a total puppy for her! Their scenes have that classic fresh romance feel

Spoiler

(if you're not yet at those eps, they are further down the line, around mid-20s eps)

and I have this stupid smile on my face when I watch their scenes, only to become even giddier to find out later that Yiren is no less manipulative and cunning than Lu Bu Wei, even if in a different way. He at times manipulated her (very few!), and at others completely forgot his own selfish desires for her sake. He made certain political choices that he knew would hurt her feelings, and then turned around to abandon everything political just for her

Spoiler

though one might say that he was too late. Hao Lan is just as ruthless as any of the women and men in the drama; if you betray her, you're done.

It's so fascinating! He's like a puppy who could transform into a wolf if needed.

If I have any complaint, it would be...people die so often in this drama -_- don't let yourself get attached to anyone but the three leads, I suppose! There's literally no law and order anywhere, anything and everything is based on hearsay LOL Almost makes me want to write a fantasy palace drama where the from-the-future character brings a recording device to record everything everyone ever says! Maybe it will reduce the number of deaths!

While I enjoy the dialogue, there is a lot of it and 63 eps is much longer than what I'm used to (Kdrama). If the drama follows history, there's nothing but more sadness awaits Hao Lan :( I think the Lao Ai character will have a twist; this show has treated its characters in a very nuanced, complex way, and I believe they will do that for a character that had a big role in history. Remember too that history is written by the victor; lots of modern (&foreign) historians have debated what was written about Hao Lan's kid being Lu Bu Wei's (as in, it's not true and what was written in the history book was fake). I could totally imagine Lao Ai was completely different than what was written about him, so here's the writer's chance to re-imagine history.

P.S.: (not a spoiler but just discussing tangential details)

Spoiler

Bless the sub team but there are things you just can't translate these complicated dialogues with a lot of idioms to English at the scale and speed that they do and still have them make sense. So I switched to another site with sub in my native language, which is a language much closer to Chinese so things were translated much more smoothly, and since I could read some Chinese characters, I could verify the quality of the sub and thankfully it was very accurate.

• Love 1
  • Insightful 1

20 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Despite the seemingly dark edges, this show is rather a lot of fun. It's one that I find surprisingly enjoyable despite all the usual palace scheming and backstabbing especially among the ladies. Evidently it's unabashedly a palace melodrama through and through.

I agree with most of your post and wanted to discuss the specific interesting points you raised! The show is a lot of fun and I appreciate the lighter moments. I still think it's more than a palace drama if we think of palace dramas as featuring only/mainly the harem. I enjoyed learning about all the warring tactics and court politics, and how involved our female characters can be, which is a bit different from the usual harem drama where the women are mostly stuck battling each other in the inner palace.

20 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

There's no OTP for me at this stage although I like the three key conspirators. I suppose we're meant to think that HL could end up one way or another with either men although I'm rather inclined to think that her relationship with LBW has echoes of dysfunctionality in it. Make no mistake, he's an interesting anti-hero. He's a self-styled Machiavellian or at least he tries to convince himself and everyone around him that he is.

I guess I'm odd in that I find Ying Yiren more intriguing because I want to know what he's truly capable of. A crouching tiger hidden dragon as it were. 

Except for the sister, XY, the women are generally very bright. Even the bratty Princess.

I agree with everything! (pretty said the same thing in my previous post above). Love how the men are so dumb in contrast with how capable the women are. Like Princess Ya implied, they probably could run the country better than these men if they let them!

I'd be totally fine if Hao Lan ended up being like, both of these men SUCK I'd rather be alone. Or maybe Lao Ai would be her one true love? Seems unlikely since they set up Lu Bu Wei to be her soulmate, even if not her lifelong lover. Her relationship with Yiren will also be a bit dysfunctional. I think if you're involved in palace politics, there will never be a simple, straightforward relationship. Everyone in this drama has such a tragic life/love :(  

• Love 1

What I do like about this drama is the way they developed YR as a character, considering there is so little info about him historically. His sweet, kind and weakling facade when in reality he’s clever and manipulative when he wants to be. Mao Zijun portrays it so well that I can’t help but find his scenes with HL so sweet lol. 

Things will get more complicated in the last 15 eps for both YR-HL and LBW-HL. I think it’s clear that she loves LBW more but at this point it doesn’t matter anymore. They both don’t see eye to eye when it comes to what they want the most in life and all HL wants is a warm family with someone who cares for her, and LBW cannot give her that.

Also, the part in the trailer where HL says that she will never forgive him in this lifetime is believed to be directed toward YR for dying so soon, as many ppl think it parallels with him telling HL that he’d never forgive her if she died and left him behind (when she was giving birth). 

As for Lao Ai, Yu Zheng said that they will not follow history. It’ll be a one-sided love/obsession. 

Edited by therewillbeddl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

@kyoko22  I wouldn't really brand LBW and Zhao Ji (Haolan in this drama) as villains. It depends on how you view them. Plus most accounts are based on the record by Sima Qian who harbored great resentment towards LBW and Qin Shi Huang, thus some accounts of his could be discounted.

While some historical accounts are arguable and I do know that we are watching a drama and not a documentary, I would prefer if they stick to the consistent facts that are LBW reluctantly gave Zhao Ji to Yingren, thus speaks volume of how his desire for power surpass everything and the continuous affiliation between LBW and Zhao Ji, despite that he gifted her away and then, gave her an impostor eunuch to replace him.

1 hour ago, insertusernamehere said:

First off, this is a really feminist drama. The women in the show are constantly smarter than the men, and do not hesitate to use their brains and beauty for survival and desires. Even a "bad" character like Princess Ya has real moments of connecting with Hao Lan on the basis of being a woman in a shitty era. Hao Lan constantly asserts her own will in her decision, and always maintains a balanced view on gender equality. To her, being a strong woman doesn't mean you have to lose your femininity or deny real physical differences between male and female. I just love all the discussions between the characters, male and female, about gender roles and the restrictions that women suffer in that era. In a future episode, Hao Lan said (I paraphrased): "The only I decided to love the most is myself. So whether it's Yiren, or Lu Bu Wei, if a man doesn't treat me right, I'd leave." That self-esteem and self-respect! This, in contrast with all the other women in the drama who let themselves ruin their lives for terrible men, is ever the more amazing. Not to say that one shouldn't go all in for love, but a lot of these men really, really didn't deserve it. 

Having watched Yanxi, tbh, I don't really find Haolan as smart as Yingluo lol. While Yingluo is about survival, Haolan is driven by love. Half of her actions are anything but calculated. She is what I would consider only half-smart but fortunate. And to be fair, the reasons why the women in here appear so smart is because they made the men so stupid. The King of Zhao is useless, same goes to Lord Anguo which baffled me on how these men can become the head of a country, Haolan's dad is spineless, Prince Yao is pretty much the male version of his wife, General Gao is more of a brunt than a brain person. So, there you have it. Except for Lu Bu Wei and teeny bit of potential in Yingren, I would say the rest of the men have brains up there for decorations purpose only. Perhaps, I would appreciate the feminist aspect if only they made the male characters of compatible wits. It's similar to my feeling towards K-dramas where they always downgrade the female intellects just to make the male characters far superior and in here, it's the opposite.

1 hour ago, insertusernamehere said:

Second, both male leads in this drama are SO flawed (I mean, everyone in this drama is, but considering they're the "main" roles, I find it fascinating that they're so many shades of grey - as in, they're not "good guys" or "bad guys". They are both just men, sometimes terrible, most of the time decent enough, and all the time fight for what they want and are conflicted about it). I think everyone is on the Hao Lan - Lu Bu Wei ship, and it is a very compelling romance, but for some reason I really eat up the Hao Lan - Yiren romance. He's so swoony! And a total puppy for her! Their scenes have that classic fresh romance feel

If you read thru this thread and comment sections on most drama streaming portals.... Most are shippers of Hao Lan and Yingren. As for myself, I am still Team Lu Bu Wei all the way. Perhaps I am not the kind who like the puppy type but as always, it comes down to one's preference :-)

38 minutes ago, therewillbeddl said:

As for Lao Ai, Yu Zheng said that they will not follow history. It’ll be a one-sided love/obsession. 

Too bad. No matter how scandalous this would be, I still prefer they stick closer to history :-(. One of my biggest problems with this drama is that almost all men are infatuated of Haolan and almost all women are jealous of her, thus her endless tortures and sufferings. Sighs.

26 minutes ago, lyserose said:

Too bad. No matter how scandalous this would be, I still prefer they stick closer to history :-(. One of my biggest problems with this drama is that almost all men are infatuated of Haolan and almost all women are jealous of her, thus her endless tortures and sufferings. Sighs.

Personally I don’t think it’d be a good idea to include that scandalous aspect into this drama. Female lead will get slandered left and right by viewers and it’s not a good idea for both the actress and the drama as a whole if everyone ends up hating the main lead. People were already looking down on this drama in the beginning as many people do not like Zhao Ji. 

Tbh, I’m already satisfied by the history accuracy part of the drama. The fact that they accurately depicted the ongoing conflicts between Zhao and Qin and other states, especially the Battle of Changping, LBW’s methods to make YR crown prince, the years of suffering HL went through in Zhao with Ying Zheng and even not following Sima Qian’s illogical story about Qin Shihuang’s birth pleasantly surprised me. 

• Like 1