[Current Mainland WebDrama 2019] The Legend of Hao Lan / Beauty Hao Lan 皓镧传

-jade-

I find xiaochun and bai zhong relationship quite intriguing. The spent episodes building them up and even till the last episode they have to have a moment together. I wonder what happened to them.

14 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

@bLaZe2 I was intrigued too. The transitions in their relationship can be a little abrupt at times. I wonder if any of their scenes were cut because of the adjustments they made to Hao Lan and Lu Buwei's storyline.

14 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

@bLaZe2 I was intrigued too. The transitions in their relationship can be a little abrupt at times. I wonder if any of their scenes were cut because of the adjustments they made to Hao Lan and Lu Buwei's storyline.

Maybe.  The whole drama highlight was HL-BW or HL-YR.  However, I don't know why they bother to build up XC-BZ relationship when there is no ending for them.  They started out really hating each other but over time they grow close together.  BZ made it clear he has a thing for XC.  As for XC, had he not been on the wrong path or not so arrogant she may have been with him too.  I think she does not realise she also has affections for him as she's a strong woman with no intention of marrying and her lifelong pursuit is to heal many people.  If there is nothing, their relationship should have ended when he rebelled, but the show continued to tease with him confessing his longing for her, turning over a new leaf and aiding HL, plus their last scene together they also have longing looks with some backgroud music. And after that no ending.  XC is a strong supporting characters, there should be a storyline closure for her.  They even bothered with story closure for the dowagers, but not her.   What's your thoughts?

50 minutes ago, bLaZe2 said:

XC is a strong supporting characters, there should be a storyline closure for her.  They even bothered with story closure for the dowagers, but not her.   What's your thoughts?

@bLaZe2

Hi (hand-wave)!

My personal interpretation is that an open-ended story line for XiaoChun says that she doesn't have "emotional closures" with BZ, mainly, because she doesn't need it and has moved passed the situation with BZ. 

On 2/19/2019 at 2:32 PM, insertusernamehere said:

Yeah of course! I think they're all fun to talk about in their own way.

1) Dowager Xia: I agree, she's very biased by her own misery in the past. I think she relates to Siluo because she herself used to be the underdog, and in her eyes Hao Lan is just like Huayang. It makes sense in a way...I think in the end she's also not very smart, and thus put her trust in the wrong person. In this show, the most evil people are the smarter ones lol Huayang is much much smarter than Xia. The queen of Zhao, evil as she was, knew right away that Hao Lan was someone that she could trust (even if she tried to kill Hao Lan a few times for her own agenda), because she was the smartest in that palace. I'd attribute Dowager Xia's actions to being biased by her own experience, and being not very smart.

2) I'm guessing you haven't seen the next scene (I forgot if it was ep 47 or before), but she showed them her scars for a purpose. She is at once a victim, and an instigator. That's what I love about a lot of the female characters here - you can't characterize them in one way or another. They are victims of the era, of men, of each other, but they are also trying their hardest to drive their fate the ways each of them knows how to(Huayang will discuss how she uses her own weapons with Hao Lan right after the scene where she showed them her scars, it's an interesting debate!)

3) Xiaochun is equally complex! I honestly cannot care less about that boring prince she used to love in Zhao, but by ep 58 you will see her very interesting development when she's in Qin. I love her friendship with Hao Lan. Even though she did betray Hao Lan (unwillingly) that one time in Zhao, I think the person Hao Lan can trust the most to always be on her side is not LBW, nor Yiren, but Xiaochun. It paints a really strong message of female friendship against all these love triangles!

4) I really like her character! She's not a simple concubine trying to win favors, but a princess in her own right trying to do what she can for her country. I remember Yiren in a previous ep (and HL too in some other ep) told Princess Ya that she as a princess has never tried to do anything for her country, and it's really true. QioungHua, in her own ways afforded to her by her circumstances, wants to have her own purposes and impact, and I like that a lot.

@lyserose Now that I'm caught up, I don't think what Yiren did was noble idiocy at all, it was through and through a manipulative move lol (I already know his character is like this from the start, so it doesn't surprise me). Like LBW explains, it's not that YR doesn't trust her; it's definitely not because he thinks she'd be put in danger. I also don't think he wants her to feel guilty. He wants her to *hate* him LOL this guy....seriously! Remember how Yiren saw Hao Lan cry when LBW failed his promise with her? He said he had never seen her cry before, she must be really heartbroken, but she said no, she was angry! Hao Lan can get angry like no other, so he knows the surefire way to him to "win" over LBW is to make her even angrier than LBW made her. Like Xichuan said, it's been 5 years after Yiren died, and Hao Lan was still angry with him every day, he must be dancing in his grave knowing that she misses him even in this way! It's no doubt a twisted manipulative move, but it really conveys all the complexity of these characters.

I come late to join the discussion. 

I agree wholeheartedly with you. YR is an interesting character. I watched countless drama where the main lead is romantic and helpless for love yet incapable on everything except for love. YR may be not an usual gentleman people can expect him to be but we need to remember that the one who want to use him at first is no other than LBW. It will be stupid if YR not scheme for himself whether in term of love and power. It’s a fair game between YR-LBW where you use me and I will use you as well.

About HL, in the end YR calculation is better than LBW because YR knows HL better than LBW and YR has better ability to utilize every little opportunity to the greatest benefit for him. I was in an awe with YR when in the final conversation with LBW, he subtly said to LBW, “whatever scheme you will do after I die, no other space in HL’s heart for you, even after she dies, she will accompany me as well” meaning no chance at all  for LBW whether when HL still alive or die and it turns out become reality, LOL.

If we want to count fairly: (1) YR got the power and love but shorter life. It’s understandable because his bet is higher than both HL and LBW and YR never expect himself to live a long life so..2) LBW got the power but not the love. From the start, his goal is power. Love is not in his dictionary. That’s why, every time he needs to choose between love and power, he will certainly choose power first. He said that he wants both, but he act otherwise in the last moment. In the case of YR, he wants both from the start, not in the middle of the game, no wonder YR calculation is better than LBW. At least LBW get the power he wants. It’s not a total loss for him. (3) HL got all, power, love and live a longer life. Big winner in this game. She deserves it. She doesn’t disappoint me through the whole story. When HL with LBW, she never flirts with YR  or any other men and when HL ends up with YR, even after YR dies, She is still true to her heart.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 2:21 PM, bluehibiscus said:

I think after BZ found XC and the two children, they ended up together. After all, he had been assisting Haolan in helping YZ achieve the full power of a King so I think XC would forgive him. 

Yeah i think so too they ended up together.  He would have pursued her or last resort kidnap her again.  Anyway, if he did not have a downfall, don't think XC will be with him at all for all that arrogance and domineering personality.  After his redemption, there is at least worth in him for her to be with him. 

On a side note, do think that she is a bit contradicting at the earlier stages.  For all her hatred of BZ,  but somehow she no longer has intent to kill him and have been following him around, taking care of his sis and staying at his house (weird how she can tolerate living there) and allowing him to boss her around.  If her mission is to save more patients, there are many other ways to go about.  She doesn't need to live with him.  And when HL asked her about him she said there's nothing to mention, but she's ok for all the gossips to go about.  

Do you guys think she has feelings for him before?  When he confronted her she did not directly say no but just brush it off.  Of cos her love for HL is greater than anyone, but did she?

I don't know how I ended up in this forum after few months. Maybe cause I just log in soompi again and saw few notifications coming from this forum. 

I won't elaborate more. Bottom line is, I really dislike this drama wholeheartedly. I regret ever watching it. The only good thing I take from it is Nie Yuan's fantastic acting and LBW being my favourite character. Haolan is annoying. I just couldn't buy her story arc at all. 

2 hours ago, danielassny said:

I don't know how I ended up in this forum after few months. Maybe cause I just log in soompi again and saw few notifications coming from this forum. 

I won't elaborate more. Bottom line is, I really dislike this drama wholeheartedly. I regret ever watching it. The only good thing I take from it is Nie Yuan's fantastic acting and LBW being my favourite character. Haolan is annoying. I just couldn't buy her story arc at all. 

LOL.  I like the series mainly becuase LBW, YR, XC, BZ and some other of the supporting casts carried the drama well.    However, I do agree Haolan was weakly written.  Supposedly smart but not so smart at times.  Annoying .... yes at times but not as much as Princess Ya.  She's like a fly, you keep swatting her and she's still around.  She's even more annoying than HL and she has so much screen time. 

I like the entire story arc and concept, just that plot lines and characters are not that well written and inconsistent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 3:57 PM, Sobayaki said:

Thank you for sharing the original script ending! It does make more sense than the drama ending. But I don't blame the film crew for this because the original ending was apparently removed due to censorship.

This drama felt dragged especially in the beginning in Zhao. It got mildly better when they were in Qin but by the last few episodes, I already lost interest in all the characters. Sad to say but I grew more and more annoyed at Hao Lan and she got less and less screen time. Her son also made me irritable because of his unstable personality. I am not alone when I read Youtube comments in thinking that the actor's exaggerated facial expressions was a bit overdone and made him seem psychotic. Same for Lao Ai.

But the good part of this drama is it made me research about the real history of the characters. Reading about Qin Shi Huang made me think maybe his crazy personality was justified as he was noted for being cruel... I also like the creative liberty that the screenwriter took regarding the scandals and rumors in history. As regular commoners, rumors are circulated and we still don't know today as to what really happened behind close doors due to a lack of written records. So it was nice to see what really "could've" happened in regards to Hao Lan and Lao Ai.

yeah after YR dies, the script went down the drain.  Plus the actor who potrayed Qin Shi Huang did a bad job