Quantcast
jadecloud

[Current Mainland WebDrama 2019] The Legend of Hao Lan / Beauty Hao Lan 皓镧传

@ForgottenSoulx Which ending are you asking about? The one in the script?

My translation (Pls do not repost without my permission):

LBW's carriage sway to and fro as it crosses the forest. Meng Kuo leading a group of men waylay the carriage and easily kill the servants protecting the carriage and the driver. Flipping up the curtain, he begins, "My Lord..." but his words trail to a stop; the carriage is empty inside. He pales.

---

LP grins and says, "Master, you are indeed clever. You accurately predicted that the King would try to kill you and hatched an escape plan."

LBW says, "YZ thought that by dispersing my houseguests [men of talent of whom he is a sponsor] and banishing me from Luoyang that he would be able to cut off all my options. Once the news gets out, the rulers of the other kingdoms will only flock to have me. It is only a matter of time before I rise to power again. YZ is after all young and arrogant. If it were me, I would never let my enemy leave the city before making an attempt on his life." Finishing his sentence, LBW feels an inexplicable sense of melancholy come over him.

LP says, "Master, please wait here while I fetch some water from up ahead." LBW dismounts from his horse. He suddenly notices a bright light illuminating the river ahead. LBW approaches it and discovers a small boat with the luminous pearl he had gifted to HL sitting at its bow. HL's "dead" maid, Hu Po steps into view and asks the boatman to sail away as they are in a hurry. He can see the familiar silhouette of HL sitting inside the boat cabin.

LBW instantly realises that all the prior events were part of HL's elaborate plan to secure the kingdom for her son and ruin LBW's 20 years of efforts at establishing his position. Both YZ and he had been kept in the dark. As HP urges the boatman to set sail, LBW asks anxiously where they are heading. Hu Po replies they are going to Xinzheng to see peonies.

From afar, his servant returns and calls his name. He looks back, seeming to see the grand destiny that awaits him but cannot help but turn to look at the boat that is about to leave. In that moment, he makes his decision and leaps into the boat. "I have spent 20 years of my life on gaining power; for the next 20 years, I will accompany you to Xinzheng to see the peonies. I, LBW, have never done a loss-making deal. Today with the Luminous Pearl as my betrothal gift, I gain the Empress Dowager of Qin as my betrothed. No matter how I see it, it is a good deal! The Lady In The Cabin, do you need a husband?"

Through the thin barrier of the curtain, HL replies in the negative. He asks if she needs a travelling companion and she replies no. He asks what she needs then and HL simply smiles. Hu Po says they have everything except a man to tow the boat if they hit the shoals/sandbanks. She asks if he is up to the job. He is at first stunned and then gives a shout of laughter. The boat sets sail while LBW's servant chases it on horseback, asking his master to wait for him. 

As night falls, the boat meanders down the river. Birds startled by the ripples take flight and fly past the fading clouds, eventually disappearing into the horizon.

The script ending makes perfect sense.

Firstly, we all know one's first love is hard to forget and LB is HL's first love. She gave him many chances initially after he let her down repeatedly, showing how deeply she loved him. 

She married YYR believing it would be a temporary arrangement as YYR put it. However, she could not forgive LBW when she found out he had chosen not to inform her that he was alive when he had the chance to. Did it occur to him that she could have decided to join him in death? Even though she also grew to love YYR, has been faithful to him after their marriage and fulfilled her role as a wife dutifully, there is a part of her that has never forgotten LBW.

In Qin, women enjoyed a lot of rights. Widows (except the wives of Kings) were allowed to remarry so it is only logical for the drama to allow her to remarry instead of remaining alone till old age. 

After YYR passed away, HL saw a way to clear the political obstacles in her son's path and at the same time give LBW another chance to be with her.

Thank you for sharing the original script ending! It does make more sense than the drama ending. But I don't blame the film crew for this because the original ending was apparently removed due to censorship.

This drama felt dragged especially in the beginning in Zhao. It got mildly better when they were in Qin but by the last few episodes, I already lost interest in all the characters. Sad to say but I grew more and more annoyed at Hao Lan and she got less and less screen time. Her son also made me irritable because of his unstable personality. I am not alone when I read Youtube comments in thinking that the actor's exaggerated facial expressions was a bit overdone and made him seem psychotic. Same for Lao Ai.

But the good part of this drama is it made me research about the real history of the characters. Reading about Qin Shi Huang made me think maybe his crazy personality was justified as he was noted for being cruel... I also like the creative liberty that the screenwriter took regarding the scandals and rumors in history. As regular commoners, rumors are circulated and we still don't know today as to what really happened behind close doors due to a lack of written records. So it was nice to see what really "could've" happened in regards to Hao Lan and Lao Ai.

@Sobayaki You're welcome. Qin Shohuang was known to be very temperamental and cruel so I was interested in seeing how they would show his character development in the drama given his parents are the OTP in the drama and therefore can't be evil. I have to admit I find HL's style of parenting a bit questionable at times.

2 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

@Sobayaki You're welcome. Qin Shohuang was known to be very temperamental and cruel so I was interested in seeing how they would show his character development in the drama given his parents are the OTP in the drama and therefore can't be evil. I have to admit I find HL's style of parenting a bit questionable at times.

Just in general how did this drama end was it satisfying?? 

3 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Just in general how did this drama end was it satisfying?? 

For me, it wasn't satisfying because there was absolutely no closure to any of the character arcs. Well, except for LBW. It's not a bittersweet ending either... It just felt incomplete. Reading the script ending given in this thread has helped me by allowing me to imagine how it could've ended.

Is anyone interested to discuss Yin Xiaochun? I find her relationship with General Bai quite baffling. Did she plan at the very start to toy with his feelings or did she get the idea later on because i)he caused the death of her first love and/or ii)he intended to rebel against the Emperor? Such a plan requires a very long time to execute and she seems to me a forthright person who lacks the kind of guile or callousness to do so.

She started out wanting to join the military because she hated the general and wanted to kill him but then she kept saving him from dying from his wounds even when he caused the death of her first love. She lived at his residence for many years while taking care of his sister and allowed him to gainsay her wishes. Did she develop any feelings for him at any point?

Thanks for posting the un-cut (or, so-called original) ending! It is a creative, if not poetic, extension of the story. But, it leaves an "open ending" also...

On the other hand, I'm satisfied with what viewers got to see officially (in Episode 62). My main reasons are: 1) the ending/Ep62 and the "voice over facts" matched historical accounts that were recorded for the main characters; 2) Episodes 58-62 really focused on HaoLan's character and aimed to enhance her. This goes hand-in-hand with what the executive producer wanted; 3) I personally believe the drama would suffer, if too much "resolution or closure" was inserted into the drama. The main and supporting characters were portrayed as complex people. They have to make difficult (and at times, very challenging or painful) decisions. This means "closures" are unlikely to happen. True in fiction, as well as in real life.

Footnote:

XiaoChun is a brilliant supporting character in this story! Her devotion to Prince Yi of Zhao was unwavering (though, a very difficult situation). She treated General Bai with the dignity of a physician who abided by her professional honor code. The ending implied that she would continue her life as a physician and her commitment to her life's work.  Bravo!!!!!

I find xiaochun and bai zhong relationship quite intriguing. The spent episodes building them up and even till the last episode they have to have a moment together. I wonder what happened to them.

I’m wondering if anyone know what’s the background music played in episode 26 when haolan was crying? 

@bLaZe2 I was intrigued too. The transitions in their relationship can be a little abrupt at times. I wonder if any of their scenes were cut because of the adjustments they made to Hao Lan and Lu Buwei's storyline.

14 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

@bLaZe2 I was intrigued too. The transitions in their relationship can be a little abrupt at times. I wonder if any of their scenes were cut because of the adjustments they made to Hao Lan and Lu Buwei's storyline.

14 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

Maybe.  The whole drama highlight was HL-BW or HL-YR.  However, I don't know why they bother to build up XC-BZ relationship when there is no ending for them.  They started out really hating each other but over time they grow close together.  BZ made it clear he has a thing for XC.  As for XC, had he not been on the wrong path or not so arrogant she may have been with him too.  I think she does not realise she also has affections for him as she's a strong woman with no intention of marrying and her lifelong pursuit is to heal many people.  If there is nothing, their relationship should have ended when he rebelled, but the show continued to tease with him confessing his longing for her, turning over a new leaf and aiding HL, plus their last scene together they also have longing looks with some backgroud music. And after that no ending.  XC is a strong supporting characters, there should be a storyline closure for her.  They even bothered with story closure for the dowagers, but not her.   What's your thoughts?

50 minutes ago, bLaZe2 said:

XC is a strong supporting characters, there should be a storyline closure for her.  They even bothered with story closure for the dowagers, but not her.   What's your thoughts?

@bLaZe2

Hi (hand-wave)!

My personal interpretation is that an open-ended story line for XiaoChun says that she doesn't have "emotional closures" with BZ, mainly, because she doesn't need it and has moved passed the situation with BZ. 

I think after BZ found XC and the two children, they ended up together. After all, he had been assisting Haolan in helping YZ achieve the full power of a King so I think XC would forgive him.