[Current Mainland WebDrama 2019] The Legend of Hao Lan / Beauty Hao Lan 皓镧传

-jade-

7 hours ago, ices23 said:

First of all, why Lu Buwei got demoted by the King? As far as I am concerned, Lu Buwei helped the King to kill Lao Ai.

I know Bai Zhong said something to Lu Buwei before Lu Buwei got demoted by the King. But I don't get what he said because the english translation is quite off sometimes. I was suffering reading the english translation to be honest. 

One more thing, before the end, Bai Zhong said to the King it was Haolan's 'plan' to get rid of Lu Buwei so that the King will have his own absolute power. Something like that. So, what is her 'plan' actually? To make Lu Buwei killed Lao Ai? If yes, how is killing Lao Ai will make Lu Buwei guilty since the King himself wanted Lao Ai to be killed.

@ices23

Hi! (hand wave)

"spoilers alert"

Lu Buwei craved power. But, his vision for Qin was different from the young King.. While the King was still under age, Lu Bu Wei spread his power (and wealth) and completely ignored the King's desires.  In other words, Lu Bu Wei treated the young King as his puppet. Lu Bu Wei wanted to get rid of Lao Ai for his own purposes only (power, influence, and status in court/government). But, he wanted to use this as a trophy to win the heart of the young King as he becomes of age....But, Lu Bu Wei's strategy failed (as you know from Episode 62). And, subsequently, Lu Bu Wei was demoted. 

Bai Zhong (end scene in Episode 62) was telling the young King that 1) Hao Lan employed Bai Zhong to interfere (secretly) and to resolve this "young King vs Chancellor' conflict; 2) Lao Ai was put into a court position in order to balance the power in court and reduce Lu Bu Wei's power/influence; 3) the young King must rely on himself to accomplish his goals for his kingdom (in other words, he must be an independent ruler and can't rely on his mother/HaoLan/Queen Dowager to help him accomplish his goals and ambitions).

Helpful? I hope so! :-) 

19 hours ago, macaronsandsakuratea said:

It is in regard to episode 45, at its end part or when Zichu took Hao Lan for a birthday surprise with those lovely lanterns. I understand that he was romantically speaking to her through odes. But the translations at around 40.24 mark were cut off or untranslated from the site in which I was watching it. If you could just give me a general idea about their conversation without translating word for word what they said to each other would already make my heart full of gratefulness and glee. Thank you so much! Hugs and Blessings!

@jadecloud

@macaronsandsakuratea

(Please allow me to jump in here and comment...)

This was a such a dreamy scene! Sending lanterns into the sky with poetic imageries.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SailBeneteau said:

@ices23

Hi! (hand wave)

"spoilers alert"

Lu Buwei craved power. But, his vision for Qin was different from the young King.. While the King was still under age, Lu Bu Wei spread his power (and wealth) and completely ignored the King's desires.  In other words, Lu Bu Wei treated the young King as his puppet. Lu Bu Wei wanted to get rid of Lao Ai for his own purposes only (power, influence, and status in court/government). But, he wanted to use this as a trophy to win the heart of the young King as he becomes of age....But, Lu Bu Wei's strategy failed (as you know from Episode 62). And, subsequently, Lu Bu Wei was demoted. 

Bai Zhong (end scene in Episode 62) was telling the young King that 1) Hao Lan employed Bai Zhong to interfere (secretly) and to resolve this "young King vs Chancellor' conflict; 2) Lao Ai was put into a court position in order to balance the power in court and reduce Lu Bu Wei's power/influence; 3) the young King must rely on himself to accomplish his goals for his kingdom (in other words, he must be an independent ruler and can't rely on his mother/HaoLan/Queen Dowager to help him accomplish his goals and ambitions).

Helpful? I hope so! :-) 

Hi @SailBeneteau

Thank you so much for the explanation. I really appreciate it. Your explanation really helps me to understand the ending better.

I still don’t like the King. I prefer Ying Yiren as a King than his son. Unfortunately, he had to die early. Too bad. I love the way Ying Yiren controlled Lu Buwei. He knew what he was doing with Lu Buwei. Unlike his son, Ying Yiren was very calm and knew how to play tricks.

His son was emotionally unstable. He made decisions out of anger all the time. Maybe he was just too young on that time but I just don’t like him. I prefer the combination of Ying Yiren and Lu Buwei. Overall, I love this drama. It’s just the ending I believe there is a lack of impact.

Btw, thanks again for your explanation. Have a nice day!

14 hours ago, ices23 said:

His son was emotionally unstable. He made decisions out of anger all the time. Maybe he was just too young on that time but I just don’t like him. I prefer the combination of Ying Yiren and Lu Buwei.

@ices23

Agreed. The combination of Ying Yi Ren and Lu Bu Wei was really good  as King and Head of Government. Even Empress Dowager Huayang commented in the end that they were a "good pair" (with sarcasm and bitterness, of course). 

In defense for Ying Zheng (Yi Ren's son), he was really young at the time, and he was portrayed as a young king who lived many years (from birth) as a hostage. I sensed that he needed his mother/Dowager almost as a natural instinct and was probably more emotionally insecure than others of the same age. It is too bad we didn't get to see him become a mature ruler!

The ending reminded me that this drama centers around Hao Lan -- her life's stories. Wonder how this drama would be different, if they chose to tell the stories focusing on another character? Or, expanded the timeline?

Glad to hear that you enjoyed watching the drama as much as I did! :-) 

On 3/29/2019 at 12:46 AM, SailBeneteau said:

After I finished the last episode (#62), I was satisfied with the ending. (No spoilers!)

I am among those who found the ending abrupt and disappointing. The ending was changed to get the censors' approval for broadcast so it doesn't really match the rest of the script. The chemistry between NY and WJY wasn't as amazing as in Yanxi. Some of WJY's expressions of a young girl falling in love came across as contrived. I find she excels more in scenes where her character is in full control of the situation and outsmarts her adversaries.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:56 AM, macaronsandsakuratea said:

Edited to add:

To be more specific, the translations were cut off starting at the part after Hao Lan stated:

''There are mountains and mountains. Who thinks about the cloud? Western beauty.'' 

And then there were no translations afterwards on their conversation except for:

''Your Majesty is passionate.''

I am dying to know what were the missing parts from 4.24 up to 4.45.

Apologies for being passionately fastidious. It is one of my most favourite scenes in the drama.

Please reply only at your most convenient time.

Duo xie!!!

Based on my understanding from secondary sources that explain the poem and hence may not be hundred percent accurate, the quote is from a poem about one fine spring day when young men and women were dancing happily under lush green trees as part of a celebration. The protagonist, a guy, saw the girl he admired dancing gracefully and he likened her beauty to that of a flower. She gifted him with a sprig of Chinese red pepper as a sign that she returned his affections.

In this particular scene in the drama, HL notices a lantern with musk mallow flowers painted on it. YR then quotes the last two lines that talk about her being as beautiful as the musk mallow flower and the gift of the Chinese red pepper. Based on HL's playful response, she takes it as he is requesting her for some Chinese red pepper.

• Insightful 1

On 3/29/2019 at 12:37 PM, SailBeneteau said:

@jadecloud

@macaronsandsakuratea

(Please allow me to jump in here and comment...)

This was a such a dreamy scene! Sending lanterns into the sky with poetic imageries.

@jadecloud

@macaronsandsakuratea

@bluehibiscus

I found the Chinese characters from Episode 45's lantern scene. Please see below:

------

First lantern with yellow flowers -- This set comes from Chinese ancient poems 300 -- The general/paraphrase/translation meaning is the image of "scattered yellow floating hearts (a type of plant = 荇菜)" and " a beautiful gentle maiden and someone who admires and desires her."

参差荇菜,

左右流之。

窈窕淑女,

寤寐求之。

Second lantern with peach blossom drawings -- This set comes from a different poem from the Chinese ancient poems 300 -- The general/paraphrase/translation meaning is the image of "luscious vibrant peach blossoms which are metaphorically compared to a beautiful bride. She comes home and brings good things." 

桃之夭夭,

灼灼其华。

之子于归,

宜其室家。

Third set (a group of lanterns) -- The rest here is from the drama's writers (my guess!) --- Each line here is a separate imagery:

1) Fu Ling = a rare herb/plant. 2) mountains with "strength". 3) low marsh land where more herbs are found. 4) clouds who can think/dream. 5) beautiful maiden from the west.

茯岺

山有棒

隰有苓

云谁之思

西方美人

Fourth set (more lanterns!): -- These are also from the drama's writers (my guess!) --- Each line here is a separate imagery:

1) a type of rare/legendary flower (?Name?). 2) a cage-like box (made of bamboo) that can float on the river. 3) a type of mallow/herb.

舜花

游笼

(Ying Yi Ren tells Hao Lan): Literal meaning is not as interesting as the poetic metaphor and sentiments expressed (at least for me): 

"to see you is like a gift for myself at last ----(they were apart for years and finally were reunited)".

视尔如荍

贻我握椒

(Hao Lan says to Ying Yi Ren): “ My King, you have shown your deep affections and feelings (for me). But I came empty handed today, without any physical gifts for you.”

王山情深...我两手空空

无椒可赠啊 !

(Ying Yi Ren pinches Hao Lan's cheeks.)

---------------

@therewillbeddl

@crispachu

My two cents!! 

Perhaps the other people (= two people are tagged above here) can help with the translations.  Please feel free to add to the comments. 

• Insightful 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ForgottenSoulx Which ending are you asking about? The one in the script?

My translation (Pls do not repost without my permission):

LBW's carriage sways to and fro as it crosses the forest. Meng Kuo leading a group of men waylays the carriage and easily kills the servants protecting the carriage and the driver. Flipping up the curtain, he begins, "My Lord..." but his words trail to a stop; the carriage is empty inside. He pales.

---

LP grins and says, "Master, you are indeed clever. You accurately predicted that the King would try to kill you and hatched an escape plan."

LBW says, "YZ thought that by dispersing my houseguests [men of talent of whom he is a sponsor] and banishing me from Luoyang that he would be able to cut off all my options. Once the news gets out, the rulers of the other kingdoms will only flock to have me. It is only a matter of time before I rise to power again. YZ is after all young and arrogant. If it were me, I would never let my enemy leave the city before making an attempt on his life." Finishing his sentence, LBW feels an inexplicable sense of melancholy come over him.

LP says, "Master, please wait here while I fetch some water from up ahead." LBW dismounts from his horse. He suddenly notices a bright light illuminating the river ahead. LBW approaches it and discovers a small boat with the luminous pearl he had gifted to HL sitting at its bow. HL's "dead" maid, Hu Po steps into view and asks the boatman to sail away as they are in a hurry. He can see the familiar silhouette of HL sitting inside the boat cabin.

LBW instantly realises that all the prior events were part of HL's elaborate plan to secure the kingdom for her son and ruin LBW's 20 years of efforts at establishing his position. Both YZ and he had been kept in the dark. As HP urges the boatman to set sail, LBW asks anxiously where they are heading. Hu Po replies they are going to Xinzheng to see peonies.

From afar, his servant returns and calls his name. He looks back, seeming to see the grand destiny that awaits him but cannot help but turn to look at the boat that is about to leave. In that moment, he makes his decision and leaps into the boat. "I have spent 20 years of my life on gaining power; for the next 20 years, I will accompany you to Xinzheng to see the peonies. I, LBW, have never done a loss-making deal. Today with the Luminous Pearl as my betrothal gift, I gain the Empress Dowager of Qin as my betrothed. No matter how I see it, it is a good deal! The Lady In The Cabin, do you need a husband?"

Through the thin barrier of the curtain, HL replies in the negative. He asks if she needs a travelling companion and she replies no. He asks what she needs then and HL simply smiles. Hu Po says they have everything except a man to tow the boat if they hit the shoals/sandbanks. She asks if he is up to the job. He is at first stunned and then gives a shout of laughter. The boat sets sail while LBW's servant chases it on horseback, asking his master to wait for him. 

As night falls, the boat meanders down the river. Birds startled by the ripples take flight and fly past the fading clouds, eventually disappearing into the horizon.

The script ending makes perfect sense.

Firstly, we all know one's first love is hard to forget and LB is HL's first love. She gave him many chances initially after he let her down repeatedly, showing how deeply she loved him. 

She married YYR believing it would be a temporary arrangement as YYR put it. However, she could not forgive LBW when she found out he had chosen not to inform her that he was alive when he had the chance to. Did it occur to him that she could have decided to join him in death? Even though she also grew to love YYR, has been faithful to him after their marriage and fulfilled her role as a wife dutifully, there is a part of her that has never forgotten LBW.

In Qin, women enjoyed a lot of rights. Widows (except the wives of Kings) were allowed to remarry so it is only logical for the drama to allow her to remarry instead of remaining alone till old age. 

After YYR passed away, HL saw a way to clear the political obstacles in her son's path and at the same time give LBW another chance to be with her.

Thank you for sharing the original script ending! It does make more sense than the drama ending. But I don't blame the film crew for this because the original ending was apparently removed due to censorship.

This drama felt dragged especially in the beginning in Zhao. It got mildly better when they were in Qin but by the last few episodes, I already lost interest in all the characters. Sad to say but I grew more and more annoyed at Hao Lan and she got less and less screen time. Her son also made me irritable because of his unstable personality. I am not alone when I read Youtube comments in thinking that the actor's exaggerated facial expressions was a bit overdone and made him seem psychotic. Same for Lao Ai.

But the good part of this drama is it made me research about the real history of the characters. Reading about Qin Shi Huang made me think maybe his crazy personality was justified as he was noted for being cruel... I also like the creative liberty that the screenwriter took regarding the scandals and rumors in history. As regular commoners, rumors are circulated and we still don't know today as to what really happened behind close doors due to a lack of written records. So it was nice to see what really "could've" happened in regards to Hao Lan and Lao Ai.

@Sobayaki You're welcome. Qin Shohuang was known to be very temperamental and cruel so I was interested in seeing how they would show his character development in the drama given his parents are the OTP in the drama and therefore can't be evil. I have to admit I find HL's style of parenting a bit questionable at times.

2 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

@Sobayaki You're welcome. Qin Shohuang was known to be very temperamental and cruel so I was interested in seeing how they would show his character development in the drama given his parents are the OTP in the drama and therefore can't be evil. I have to admit I find HL's style of parenting a bit questionable at times.

Just in general how did this drama end was it satisfying?? 

3 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Just in general how did this drama end was it satisfying?? 

For me, it wasn't satisfying because there was absolutely no closure to any of the character arcs. Well, except for LBW. It's not a bittersweet ending either... It just felt incomplete. Reading the script ending given in this thread has helped me by allowing me to imagine how it could've ended.

Is anyone interested to discuss Yin Xiaochun? I find her relationship with General Bai quite baffling. Did she plan at the very start to toy with his feelings or did she get the idea later on because i)he caused the death of her first love and/or ii)he intended to rebel against the Emperor? Such a plan requires a very long time to execute and she seems to me a forthright person who lacks the kind of guile or callousness to do so.

She started out wanting to join the military because she hated the general and wanted to kill him but then she kept saving him from dying from his wounds even when he caused the death of her first love. She lived at his residence for many years while taking care of his sister and allowed him to gainsay her wishes. Did she develop any feelings for him at any point?

Thanks for posting the un-cut (or, so-called original) ending! It is a creative, if not poetic, extension of the story. But, it leaves an "open ending" also...

On the other hand, I'm satisfied with what viewers got to see officially (in Episode 62). My main reasons are: 1) the ending/Ep62 and the "voice over facts" matched historical accounts that were recorded for the main characters; 2) Episodes 58-62 really focused on HaoLan's character and aimed to enhance her. This goes hand-in-hand with what the executive producer wanted; 3) I personally believe the drama would suffer, if too much "resolution or closure" was inserted into the drama. The main and supporting characters were portrayed as complex people. They have to make difficult (and at times, very challenging or painful) decisions. This means "closures" are unlikely to happen. True in fiction, as well as in real life.

Footnote:

XiaoChun is a brilliant supporting character in this story! Her devotion to Prince Yi of Zhao was unwavering (though, a very difficult situation). She treated General Bai with the dignity of a physician who abided by her professional honor code. The ending implied that she would continue her life as a physician and her commitment to her life's work.  Bravo!!!!!