Quantcast
jadecloud

[Current Mainland WebDrama 2019] The Legend of Hao Lan / Beauty Hao Lan 皓镧传

I CANT BELIEVE YU ZHENG DID THIS TO ME. How can he promotes Legend of Haolan as NieYuanxWuJinYan reunion and then give them a bad ending?!! *TearsforDays*

So im guessing they postponed earlier in November because they had to cut some scenes to make the drama more historically accurated. Im assuming the true ending of this drama is after Haolan receives the golden ball from Lu Bu Wei, she went with him (hence, the boat scene) and her disappearance when her son came to visit her. I mean afterall no one really knows if LBW really poisoned himself or if the empress dowager is really locked in her palace. I

dont know if you all recall but Lu Bu Wei bought that golden ball at the place where he first met Haolan. And he was stating the importance of that golden ball too. So im guessing that with Lu Bu Wei gifting that to Haolan, he is telling her that shes the most important to him. Guess thats why Haolan forgave and went with him in the end? Darn it Yu Zheng, shouldve just gave us the real ending. 

Theres so much discussion about Yingren-Haolan-LuBuWei love triangle. Personally, I would like to think Haolan never really stopped loving Lu Bu Wei (even after marriage and seeing him again after 8 yrs, she still looks/reacts to him however because shes now another persons wife so she restrained herself) btw heard they released an official MV for the LBWxHL using the main theme song “Moon Out”.  

But yeah, I agree with above posts how Haolan doesnt deserve LBW’s love. He stayed loyal to her and prioritized her until the very end but she backstabbed him. Her character was very inconsistent or another word, not well written. I cant really root for her in this drama for some reason. And also super agree with Lao Ai and Ying Zheng’s acting *cringeworthy* 

Time to go rewatch Yanxi because Haolan broke my heart LoL I need my happily ever after T.T

• Like 1

@insertusernamehere

@therewillbeddl

@lyserose

@peanutbutterjellytime

@kyoko22

@danielassny

Just finished Episode 62...

Personally, I can appreciate the reasons behind why the writers/producers veered away from Zhao Ji's historical accounts about her life (possibly, just rumors and slanders). I am glad this drama did not stick to "history", especially if there is some historical evidence (yet un-explained or unknown to the general public) that would argue against the slander.

In a statement, Yu Zheng (the executive producer) said that what attracted him to the script 6 years ago were:

1) a woman (Hao Lan/Zhao Ji) could endure years as a hostage in Zhao with a son, become the Consort to the King of Qin, and then the first officially recognized Dowager Empress (Qin Shi Huang named himself the first Emperorf a unified China).

2) questions regarding what she was like as a person to be able to survive and thrive under life's circumstances.

3) what can HaoLan's life show or teach people of today about life's purpose, etc. And, in addition, what can the other main characters (YiRen and LBW) tell everyone about life and its journey...

For >10 episodes, I wondered why Legend of Hao Lan was the title. Now, I understand why.

Yu Zheng said one of this friends/collegues who normally wouldn't watch his productions thought this is a good drama and she cautioned that people who like The Legend of Hao Lan may not like his other works, and vice versa. Yu Zheng said that's too bad, but he cannot let it stop him from making future productions he believes are good stories.

This drama is a success, although some of the supporting roles ended too abruptly (ex: XiaoChun and others) and some of the scenes "wandered off" a bit (ex: Ep 59/60). The main story and its deeper meanings are clear for everyone in the audience to interpret in their own way.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2019 at 12:29 PM, ChloeR said:

I CANT BELIEVE YU ZHENG DID THIS TO ME. How can he promotes Legend of Haolan as NieYuanxWuJinYan reunion and then give them a bad ending?!! *TearsforDays*

So im guessing they postponed earlier in November because they had to cut some scenes to make the drama more historically accurated. Im assuming the true ending of this drama is after Haolan receives the golden ball from Lu Bu Wei, she went with him (hence, the boat scene) and her disappearance when her son came to visit her. I mean afterall no one really knows if LBW really poisoned himself or if the empress dowager is really locked in her palace. I

dont know if you all recall but Lu Bu Wei bought that golden ball at the place where he first met Haolan. And he was stating the importance of that golden ball too. So im guessing that with Lu Bu Wei gifting that to Haolan, he is telling her that shes the most important to him. Guess thats why Haolan forgave and went with him in the end? Darn it Yu Zheng, shouldve just gave us the real ending. 

Theres so much discussion about Yingren-Haolan-LuBuWei love triangle. Personally, I would like to think Haolan never really stopped loving Lu Bu Wei (even after marriage and seeing him again after 8 yrs, she still looks/reacts to him however because shes now another persons wife so she restrained herself) btw heard they released an official MV for the LBWxHL using the main theme song “Moon Out”.  

But yeah, I agree with above posts how Haolan doesnt deserve LBW’s love. He stayed loyal to her and prioritized her until the very end but she backstabbed him. Her character was very inconsistent or another word, not well written. I cant really root for her in this drama for some reason. And also super agree with Lao Ai and Ying Zheng’s acting *cringeworthy* 

Time to go rewatch Yanxi because Haolan broke my heart LoL I need my happily ever after T.T

The golden ball/pearl was bought the same day he bought Haolan. Tbh, this scene shows bad editing because first and foremost, LBW bought the pearl (actually he paid higher price for the box, not the pearl) before he bought Haolan. No idea if Haolan witnessed the grand scene of LBW showing-off his wealth since she was brought in for sell later on.

I would also like to believe she never stopped loving LBW which actually hinted that way - from how she reacted upon seeing him after 8 years (excited but had to restrain herself), affected upon learning of his marriage to Bai Ling'Er,  she couldn't admit to LBW when he asked her if she loves Yingren and still affected by his touch when he visited the epidemic plague area. But her action shifts 360 degree once she becomes a dowager. To this day, I still don't understand why is she holding so much grudge against LBW?

While I appreciate the feminist theme that they highlighted in this drama, but there's something not right about it. Being a feminist does not mean everything is all about you as a woman, about what you want, about your benefit and all and totally ignoring the sides of the man. That is not feminism, that is selfishness. This is exactly how Haolan is. She keeps repeating the mantra of how a woman should love herself first and more but when comes to the men, she expected them to put her first. LBW indeed loves himself but that does not mean he doesn't love her enough to have her best interest at heart. The same goes with Yingren. I read some comments on twitter and IG and I agree that Haolan's love is cheap. Perhaps that's why I couldn't root for her. And not to mention how she applies different standards on the two men in her life. No matter what LBW does for her, she still choose to refute his sincerity. In contrast, she only choose to see the good in Yingren just because he isn't outright manipulative. Haolan is so inconsistent. And as said earlier, she isn't worthy of any of those men's love esp LBW. She does not even know what she wants. She is a lost character.

And really? There's an official MV for LBW x HL with the theme song? So, that could be said that the official CP is LBW x HL? Probably they want to make up for cutting out the boat scene or to appease the angry shippers of Yanxi's couple. Or I could be mistaken but that song only playing for the scenes involving LBW and HL.

All and all, as most people commented, this drama is a downgrade from Yanxi and I couldn't agree more. 

• Like 1

While the official weibo promoted HL-YR more, I feel like they intended to make HL-LBW the official ship. But then again, Yu Zheng tried to be fair with both, one with that boat scene art and the other posting a long message in regards to HL-YR and admitting she did love him. 

People keep saying this drama has duo first male leads, but screentime wise, Nie Yuan seems like the male lead. Yet, Mao Zijun was always billed first, after WJY, while NY was always the 3rd billed. 

@SailBeneteau I can’t say specifically on top of my head, but definitely any scenes taking place in Zhao state, first half of the show. Most of my fav scenes are from there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, therewillbeddl said:

While the official weibo promoted HL-YR more, I feel like they intended to make HL-LBW the official ship. But then again, Yu Zheng tried to be fair with both, one with that boat scene art and the other posting a long message in regards to HL-YR and admitting she did love him. 

People keep saying this drama has duo first male leads, but screentime wise, Nie Yuan seems like the male lead. Yet, Mao Zijun was always billed first, after WJY, while NY was always the 3rd billed. 

@SailBeneteau I can’t say specifically on top of my head, but I think everyone agrees that any scenes from Zhao > Qin right? 

While I'm not sure what Yu Zheng intended to do with the "boat scene art", my suspicion is that the production team has tried to please everyone in the audience who waited for a "happy ending for HaoLan-LBW" but didn't get that in the ending.

Yu Zheng has made it clear that the story is about HaoLan. However (during many/12+ episodes) I have felt strongly that the story is about Ying Yiren (partly due to the actor's excellent performance and interpretation of Yiren). 

@therewillbeddl: Scenes from Zhao > Qin, you mean? Why? 

For me, Zhao = Qin (or, Zhao scenes are just as memorable as the Qin ones). That's probably due to Ying Yiren's story line. The drama after Yiren's death can't measure up at all.  There were many disappointing scenes around Episodes 59-62...until the very end when Zheng'er finally shows up to "beg" his mother to return to the palace and he is received by Bai General only.  

p.s--The story's inserted historical credits --with a voice-over -- were memorable. Enjoyed both inserts. Quite dignified.

• Like 2

@SailBeneteau Actually thinking about it, I agree with you that >>> Ep 59-62. I’d like to forget how things ended because this drama could’ve been good if things were written differently after YR’s death. While I prefer scenes from Zhao because they were less depressing and dark compared to Qin, I thoroughly enjoyed some Qin scenes like Lord Anguo’s and Hua Yang’s. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, therewillbeddl said:

@SailBeneteau Actually thinking about it, I agree with you that >>> Ep 59-62. I’d like to forget how things ended because this drama could’ve been good if things were written differently after YR’s death. While I prefer scenes from Zhao because they were less depressing and dark compared to Qin, I thoroughly enjoyed some Qin scenes like Lord Anguo’s and Hua Yang’s. 

@therewillbeddl

Yes, agreed:  the scenes with Lord Anguo and Huayang --earlier as "FuRen" and later as "Dowager"-- were quite good. Even the very last scene with Dowager Huayang was really memorable (Episode 61/62?) when she confessed her journey in life. 

I miss scenes with XiaoChun, especially in the last episode (Ep 62). Supposedly, what happened to her?

Re: Episodes 59-62 (contains minor spoilers below)

The characters from the younger/next generation didn't really have enough time to develop or mature. Felt rushed and abrupt. But, I understand that the plot had to give an ending to Dowager Huayang and Dowager Xia's stories. Also, they had to find a way to oust LBW from his position/power.

(Need more Episodes?? Why stop at 62?)

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 9:53 AM, SailBeneteau said:

This drama is a success, although some of the supporting roles ended too abruptly (ex: XiaoChun and others) and some of the scenes "wandered off" a bit (ex: Ep 59/60). The main story and its deeper meanings are clear for everyone in the audience to interpret in their own way.

More "stills" (images) of this drama are being released on Twitter. Follow hashtag #LegendOfHaoLan to check them out! 

• Like 1

I think this movie was supposed to have a hapoy ending for HL and LBW.  It gave us hint from the moment HL saw LBW the first time after 8 yrs, she wanted to run to him.  When he came and hug her twice. She went to help him when he was sick.  When she said he never change after all these years but people like him is even more attractive. The way she looked at him after eveytime he left.  When he called her exlover she said it ache her heart.  She did not answer his question if she does love yiren.  And on ber bd the show the same kind of entertainment she enjoyed with LBW. She saw him, she thoight of him and the sign of apilling water is a sign of guilt she feel. She know she has to restrAin herself from thinking about him.  Her eye clearly show she was following him. NoT thinking about Yiren or missed her last bd with him. 

She know what he wants is power, but power can only be given thru royalty therefore she sacrificed her love to be with Yiren to be able to fullfill that power for LBW.  When her son become king, she diesnt want to be in the middle of them therefore she decided to break them apart not as a resentment of LBW but as a protection for him from her son.  Their fate is destine together like LBw said and they are each other soul mate. 

Just sad that the difector didnt at least keep the happy ending scene.  Gave us all the hint and hope and LBW loyal love for HL after all these year didnt even deserve a happy ending???? 

Why the director worry about history??? He already made HL character not like history.   So dissappointed

Edited by Lbw fan
  • Like 2

@Lbw fan

Everyone interprets the scenes differently:

1) HL didn't answer LBW's question when she travelled south to save people and LBW b/c she was in the middle of various struggles in the imperial court (= she was experiencing pain and misunderstandings). Then, she found out in Episode 56 what was really happening. 

2) HL was portrayed as a person who cherished past memories. So, if she saw someone after 8 yrs, there was probably mixed emotions at first. But, it does not mean anything else...

3) To oust LBW from his position as Chancellor is HL's way of honoring her son and the legacy of the throne. HL knew that as long as LBW was in power, her son (the King) would not be able to execute what Zheng'er wants to do. It was a clear conflict. In this case, HL decided to side with the King.

My two cents.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 12:53 AM, SailBeneteau said:

Personally, I can appreciate the reasons behind why the writers/producers veered away from Zhao Ji's historical accounts about her life (possibly, just rumors and slanders). I am glad this drama did not stick to "history", especially if there is some historical evidence (yet un-explained or unknown to the general public) that would argue against the slander.

In a statement, Yu Zheng (the executive producer) said that what attracted him to the script 6 years ago were:

1) a woman (Hao Lan/Zhao Ji) could endure years as a hostage in Zhao with a son, become the Consort to the King of Qin, and then the first officially recognized Dowager Empress (Qin Shi Huang named himself the first Emperorf a unified China).

2) questions regarding what she was like as a person to be able to survive and thrive under life's circumstances.

3) what can HaoLan's life show or teach people of today about life's purpose, etc. And, in addition, what can the other main characters (YiRen and LBW) tell everyone about life and its journey...

For >10 episodes, I wondered why Legend of Hao Lan was the title. Now, I understand why.

Yu Zheng said one of this friends/collegues who normally wouldn't watch his productions thought this is a good drama and she cautioned that people who like The Legend of Hao Lan may not like his other works, and vice versa. Yu Zheng said that's too bad, but he cannot let it stop him from making future productions he believes are good stories.

@SailBeneteau
Hello. I haven't watched this drama yet but was checking to see the comments about it.
I am very interested in what you wrote here especially #3.

Would you mind summarizing in your own words what you learned from this show?  I am curious to hear about it.  Thank you in advance :)

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 2:44 AM, dancingbee said:

Hello. I haven't watched this drama yet but was checking to see the comments about it.
I am very interested in what you wrote here especially #3.

Would you mind summarizing in your own words what you learned from this show?  I am curious to hear about it.  Thank you in advance

@dancingbee

Hello! And thanks for your note above. After watching the drama, I also read some notes from the production team on the characters. This drama has several complex hidden messages for the viewers. Each main and supporting character has their own lessons to share.

Without revealing the plot (no spoilers from me!!), here are some thoughts to share:

Hao Lan is portrayed as a strong independent woman who survives life's circumstances (= tragic, dangerous, political, etc). She strives to thrive in every situation and does her utmost. She is a person who lives life to its fullest in her own way. She has a strong sense of commitment (in the good sense and sometimes she is quite stubborn); she is very loyal to loved ones around her. The executive producer mentioned that a key characteristic of Hao Lan is that she cherishes life and herself (portrayed with the underlying message that "one cannot love others if one cannot love oneself"). This is somewhat of an over-simplification for me...I think HaoLan's "sense of commitment (to life, love, family, duty, country, etc)" and her "sense of responsibility (--always doing what she believes is the right thing to do or say)" is the highlight for me.

Lǚ Bu Wei is a smart, resourceful, extremely driven, and ambitious guy. Born into a family of merchants, he has ambitions to achieve more in life. His ultimate goal is to achieve power (political and social) and wealth. In doing so, he abandons personal pursuits (love, friendship, etc). And, I believe that Lǚ Bu Wei lives to regret his choices...

Ying Yi Ren is probably my favorite character in this story. Born into Qin's royalty, he is sent to the state of Zhao as a hostage-prince at an early age. Yi Ren is extremely intelligent and knowledgeable, and he is also a skillful politician and diplomat. The drama shows Yi Ren's transformation from hostage-prince to heir-apparent to the King of Qin. The story shows many sides of this character: intelligence, depth, wisdom, humility, love, kindness, anger, sadness, endurance, commitment to duty/country, shrewdness, diplomatic prowess, mission-driven philosophy, etc. [The actor, Mao Zi Jun, was excellent.] The actor commented about his character (paraphrase): "Think of Yi Ren as a calm bottomless lake." 

--This is a high-quality production and a very unique story! Besides the main characters, there are memorable supporting roles and their stories also.

--Hope you will watch the drama and enjoy it as much as I have!!! :) Come back to this forum/thread after you've watched the drama.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brace yourselves, The Legend of Hao Lan and historical C-drama lovers.

The following (non-contemporary, historical) genres of C-dramas and C-movies are restricted (限古令)  from broadcasting or webcasting from March to June (and more like indefinitely):

1. Wuxia 
  2. Fantasy
  3. Historical
  4. Legend
  5. Time-travel
  6. Biographical
  7. Palace struggle/intrigue

For dramas of above genres, if they haven't been shown, they would be till the finale. But, after that, they would all be wiped off from all (Chinese) internet platforms. Dramas such as 《独孤皇后 Queen Dugu》,《东宫 Goodbye my Princess》,《招摇 The Legends》,《倚天屠龙记 Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre》,,《延禧攻略 The Story of Yanxi Palace》, 《芈月传 The Legend of Mi Yue》,and so on. In particular, dramas of historical, period costumes and palace struggle-related genres would all be restricted across the board.

66134906ly1g02e7kud3rj20v90ku43f.jpg

9iicofk.jpg

8cd81d969e1208803f8683f979e21281da7277e9fca6f70e205c395d8c85f981.jpg

3gasHfy.jpg

VAnFg2M.jpg

For dramas that are waiting for an on-air or live-stream schedule, either via broadcast or webcast, they would have to undergo another round of audit before approval, and before a new schedule of airing would be given. It is reported that most may not be on-air or on live-stream anytime sooner than two years later.

The most recent dramas that are affected:

《新白娘子传奇  The Legend of White Snake 2019》that was originally reported for premiere on 3.27.19 has now been rescheduled. 

Vvsqcuz.png 

《我的波塞冬 My Poseidon》that was originally reported for premiere on 3.24.19 has also been rescheduled.

CACp8Cw.jpg

Also shelved, indefinitely, are:

• 《帝王业 Monarch Industry》now 《江山故人》Zhang Ziyi's debut TV drama

ac3fe67de0.jpg

• 《大明皇妃·若传 The Empress of the Ming》Tang Wei and Zhu Yawe

dN47RLY.jpg

• 《九州斛珠夫人 (lit.) Novoland: Pearl Eclipse》Yang Mi

QFGHiay.png

• 《三生三世枕上 Eternal Love: The Pillow Book》Dilraba Dilmurat and Vengo Gao

00-1532589175.jpg

• 《狼殿下 The Wolf》Darren Wang Dalu, Sweet Li Qin and Sean Xiao Zhan

R3YtSAl.jpg

• 《锦衣之下 Under the Power》Allen Ren Jialun and Seven Tan Songyun

Hkex7qQ.jpg

• 《庶女锦兰 (lit.) Commoner Jin Lan》 Hu Ge and Cecelia Liu Shishi

L2GmiH8.jpg

Historically, this is the strictest across the board restriction ever imposed by the CN authorities. 

So, for those who are watching The Legend of Hao Lan (or any other drama within the genres affected), do complete your watching ASAP, before they are all taken down. While only the Chinese platforms are affected now, one never knows when the hammer will strike other non-Chinese platforms, like Youtube, Viki, etc.

PS: Unfortunately, the unlikely benefactor in this whole scheme of things may end up to be those illegal streaming sites. 

Source:

Excerpted from http://www.epochtimes.com/gb/19/3/22/n11133068.htmhttp://www.epochtimes.com/gb/19/3/24/n11135752.htm

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

@jadecloud, thanks for the info. Sad:o, I am putting off watching Legend of Haolan cause I am planning to marathon it:lol: when it reaches the finale and with English sub.  Why oh Why???? Need to start Haolan.

...This news is truly upsetting.... I've noticed that they seem to be taking off the playlist for historical dramas on youtube....from the official channel source. ...grrr...

On 22 February 2019 at 12:29 PM, ChloeR said:

So im guessing they postponed earlier in November because they had to cut some scenes to make the drama more historically accurated.

Yeah, they couldn't get past the censors.

General translation of that:

Due to strong reactions they are rolling back the ban. Starting April they can start broadcasting online. But they need online broadcast permissions before they do so. 

Every month before the 15th, they have to notify local authorities what their broadcast plan is.

They have to control historical series quota - contemporary programming should make up 60% of broadcast content.

They need to get all kinds of permissions for doing anything - promotions, etc.

• Like 2