Quantcast
jadecloud

[Current Mainland WebDrama 2019] The Legend of Hao Lan / Beauty Hao Lan 皓镧传

Not to defend YR because I too think he should have talked things through with his wife as that is what married couple should be doing, but in response to that, YR said that as a king, there is nothing he couldn’t resolve, hence why he thought he had the duty to make decisions regarding HL and YingZheng’s future by himself. I feel like part of it has to do with his status, being prideful and making all the decisions as he thinks he should as a king holding absolute power, so perhaps things would’ve been different if they were an ordinary married couple. Yu Zheng leaked some dialogues from the original script and I remember one of them being that YR did what he did so HL won’t have the burden to try to outsmart everyone and tire herself out like she did in Zhao. The script was revised and a lot of it was changed, so who knows. 

WJY’s opinion on HL/LBW and HL/YR. She thinks the former has a love/hate relationship, partners with similar direction and interests, but that shouldnt be aligned with love. As for the latter, she thinks they slowly grow closer and closer like loved ones/family. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lyserose said:

As I mentioned earlier, I do know that Sima Qian harboured great resentment towards Qin Shi Huang and being a historian of Han Dynasty who succeeded the Qin Dynasty, some details could be fabricated. After all, history are written by winners.

But then, it would be interesting to watch a translation that doesn't veer too far from what is "widely" known despite this being a drama and not a documentary. When you choose to put on spotlight on a controversial figure as in Zhao Ji, some creativity on the scandalous elements would be very much appreciated. Again, I do understand nobody wants to watch a drama where the heroine is of low moral but my point is still the same.... it would be interesting to place Lao Ai in other kind of plot other than an obsessed admirer, or that LBW handed her over instead of being "Fuheng-ed".

I can't really applaud the creative team behind Haolan because it is far from creative. As pointed by @danielassny The "all men are in love with her and all women are jealous of her" troupe is too cliche. As I said earlier, if not for the reunion of NY and WJY and my enthusiasm on history, I probably wouldn't stay watching.

@lyserose

If this drama stayed closer to the "wider known Sima Qian pseudo stories and claims", I --and others I know -- would not continue to watch.  The reason is simple: a creative scandalous take on a female character in history who may be free-from-scandals is slander. Slander (from Sima Qian's account or otherwise related) is unfair and inhumane. From an entertainment point of view, slander is just cruel.

As a creative story that follows the format of "period drama", some cliche characters would be expected (aka. the palace intrigue types), but there is still much diversity to be found: Xiaochun (the wizard-physician), Situ Yue, Han Qionghua, Gongsun the general, prince Yi of Zhao, Gao Haoyang, etc etc etc!!!!

26 minutes ago, therewillbeddl said:

Not to defend YR because I too think he should have talked things through with his wife as that is what married couple should be doing, but in response to that, YR said that as a king, there is nothing he couldn’t resolve, hence why he thought he had the duty to make decisions regarding HL and YingZheng’s future by himself. I feel like part of it has to do with his status, being prideful and making all the decisions as he thinks he should, so perhaps things would’ve been different if they were an ordinary married couple. Yu Zheng leaked some dialogues from the original script and I remember one of them being that YR did what he did so HL won’t have the burden to try to outsmart everyone and tire herself out like she did in Zhao. The script was revised and a lot of it was changed, so who knows. 

WJY’s opinion on HL/LBW and HL/YR. She thinks the former has a love/hate relationship, partners with similar direction and interests, but that shouldnt be aligned with love. As for the latter, she thinks they slowly grow closer and closer like loved ones/family. 

@therewillbeddl

Glad you found this clip! :)  It is interesting to hear what the actors think/thought of their characters. Refreshing!

• Like 1

http://p.weibo.com/show/channerWbH5/1034:4341025255411668

From the last scene(boat scene) i guess we can pretty much conclude that the writer doesn't follow the history. 

From the synopsis in Baidu, Zhenger get more restless on LBW's power and think his father's death got something to do with LBW. I think this is also the time he know his mother's affair. So he confronts HL and wants to kill LBW but HL begs him. So he exiles LBW to Laoyang and HL follows LBW. Base on some bts photos and the video above, it is pretty consistent with the synopsis

12 minutes ago, kyoko22 said:

From the last scene(boat scene) i guess we can pretty much conclude that the writer doesn't follow the history. 

From the synopsis in Baidu, Zhenger get more restless on LBW's power and think his father's death got something to do with LBW. I think this is also the time he know his mother's affair. So he confronts HL and wants to kill LBW but HL begs him. So he exiles LBW to Laoyang and HL follows LBW. Base on some bts photos and the video above, it is pretty consistent with the synopsis

If that is true, they are deviating a bit too much from history. Which is weird because WJY did say that nobody has a good ending, anyway lets wait and see. 

@therewillbeddl hahaha. That also possible. Could be the boat scene is just HL's or LBW's dream. What I salute about editing team is they always give misleading previews. So as the trailers. I thought when HL said 'In my life, i will never forgive you', it was said to LBW. Never expect it is for YR. Again and again the preview tricks me. 

@SailBeneteau To each of its own. It's good that you can enjoy this creativity but I was expecting a different kind of creativity. While I do understand the lack of actual historical records, this being a drama and not a documentary, and that nobody wants to watch an immoral heroine, I would expect a better twist than the exhausting drama troupe. 

I still enjoy this drama but ofc, having come from Yanxi, I definitely have to lower down my expectation. 

I again agree with @danielassny No matter how I view it, I couldn't find YR's action justifiable regardless that he is a king or what. I have been in this kind of situation placed by my own father. I was robbed into making a decision on our family and life's matters and no matter whatever good intention that he had, I still couldn't accept that I was robbed of my rights. Again, why should I be grateful when I was never asked if this is what I wanted? The one who outlive the other is the one who has to go through the aftermath - either you consented it or not. Tell you, this is not acceptable. Noble idiocy is never acceptable. 

@kyoko22 @therewillbeddl As much as I like LBW and HL together but this is really veering way off history. 

Oh, based on the video.... it seems like this LBW will pursue HL. Since WJY keeps rehearsing the lines to call in guards to take away LBW., he must have sneaked into her bedroom. God, why are they making him into a pervert?

@lyserose The writer can stick to the history which all characters don't have a good ending. Or technically stick to the history but the main couple still have the happy ending. I mean the writer can create a fake death to LBW and HL and they meet in Louyang. Well, cliche. But the way they promote the drama using the fame of Qianlong-Yinglou couple, LBW-HL earn at least an open ending. If not, the writer will be curse to death by the shippers there. Haha.

@lyserose Garghhh... They are trying hard to destroy LBW. Climbing into the bed of dowager queen who obviously has no interest to bed him and still mourning her late husband and I am sure in a matter of time everyone will start calling him a pervert and whatever sick names out there. Idk but I feel like this writer have a thing for forced skinship, she or he must have thought that this is cute instead of sexual harassment which is not ok.

So you see, the writing is pitching hard a noble idiot vs a pervert. You make the bet, which one will emerge as winner? I feel like slapping this writer. All the good merits of LBW with how he schemed his way to the top and even assisted in installing an impossible king could just be crushed because of this silly kindergarten level writings. I am mad. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

10 hours ago, kyoko22 said:

I mean that is a mix of history and fiction from what i know? instead of exiled LBW is killed right ?? but HL does not get killed , not much of a difference really. Wont he question who his father is based on knowing about this affair? 

I could still think its following that route and would end up there. 

18 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I mean that is a mix of history and fiction from what i know? instead of exiled LBW is killed right ?? but HL does not get killed , not much of a difference really. Wont he question who his father is based on knowing about this affair? 

I could still think its following that route and would end up there. 

Don't know whether it will be a sad ending or a happy one since this drama was marketed under the reunion of the Yanxi couple. At weibo, the shippers are hoping for an open ending which is silly in my book. No, just no. 

The boating scene could be just an illusion. Perhaps something that LBW dreams about but never materialized, who knows? 

So far, there has been no affair between HL and LBW unless you count the one before she married YR. Based on the way HL view and treats LBW, i doubt she will entertain his pursuit even after YR death. Then again, there's Lao Ai and i am curious how they will spin the two infamous illegitimate children. Heh. 

Accordingly, LBW should be exiled but eventually commited suicide. HL should be imprisoned by the son but not likely this will happen to her. WJY said that all characters have sad ending.

At this rate, I hope LBW will die of self-destruction. The writers been dishonoring him with crappy writings. 

11 hours ago, lyserose said:

@SailBeneteau To each of its own. It's good that you can enjoy this creativity but I was expecting a different kind of creativity. While I do understand the lack of actual historical records, this being a drama and not a documentary, and that nobody wants to watch an immoral heroine, I would expect a better twist than the exhausting drama troupe. 

I still enjoy this drama but ofc, having come from Yanxi, I definitely have to lower down my expectation. 

I again agree with @danielassny No matter how I view it, I couldn't find YR's action justifiable regardless that he is a king or what. I have been in this kind of situation placed by my own father. I was robbed into making a decision on our family and life's matters and no matter whatever good intention that he had, I still couldn't accept that I was robbed of my rights. Again, why should I be grateful when I was never asked if this is what I wanted? The one who outlive the other is the one who has to go through the aftermath - either you consented it or not. Tell you, this is not acceptable. Noble idiocy is never acceptable. 

@kyoko22 @therewillbeddl As much as I like LBW and HL together but this is really veering way off history. 

Oh, based on the video.... it seems like this LBW will pursue HL. Since WJY keeps rehearsing the lines to call in guards to take away LBW., he must have sneaked into her bedroom. God, why are they making him into a pervert?

@lyserose

I'm sincerely surprised that you seem to prefer Yanxi's story line over Hao Lan's story.  And, of course, I respect your preference as an audience member. 

In terms of production timeline, I read somewhere that Hao Lan was actually filmed months before Yanxi started. 

@kyoko22

@therewillbeddl

Let's wait and see how the plot develops. I've been "tricked" by the preview clips too many times with this drama! LOL 

17 hours ago, SailBeneteau said:

@peanutbutterjellytime I agree with you that the stories (politics and love) are tied together pretty well. If you watch interviews with the actors, you'd see that they agree with you -- script is really good and costumes/settings/etc help them get "in character".

@peanutbutterjellytime

@therewillbeddl

@insertusernamehere

Can we discuss other non-main characters?

1) Are you surprised by how YR's mother's character (Dowager Xia) turned out after YR became King? Dowager Xia is not what I imagined she would be at all. From the Zhao period, I imagined the dowager to be a wise, smart, and worldly person. From the Qin story so far (I'm on Episode 48), she seems to be harboring all the bitterness from her own past (mistreatments by her late-husband/king) and taking them out on HL and HL's son. She shows a lot of fear and resentment, as if HL were the same person as Huayang (Dowager). I suspect her character will turn out to become even more bitter...

2) How do you like Huayang (Dowager)? I like the scene from the episode (45 or 46) when she took off her robe to show LBW and YR her scars. Unlike what everyone thought, she has also lived in torment (despite the outward appearances of being controlling, possessive, arrogant, spoiled, etc etc etc). Also, she explained what her late-husband/King was really like....(the audience never got to see that side of him...)

3) What are your thoughts on XiaoChun? I look forward to seeing her story unfold...

4) What are your thoughts on Han QiongHua? I found her character fascinating...and her story line was so sad (just like her singing)...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

@SailBeneteau Hao Lan was filmed from December 2017 to April 2018, and Yanxi aired July 2018, so I think Yanxi was definitely filmed before that. WJY lost 8kg for Yanxi and it shows; in Hao Lan she looks much less frail and closer to her current appearance. 

@insertusernamehere

Thanks for your correction! I appreciate it.

I would like to emphasize here that I think the production/actors/creatives/etc team would appreciate it if we --the audience-- look at Yanxi and Hao Lan as two separate and independent works, though some of the actors overlap.  My two cents!

15 hours ago, danielassny said:

It was all an act but still noble idiocy is the biggest crime in any drama. I still reiterate my opinion that he robbed her from her rights in making decision. It's like how I always get annoyed with my colleagues. making decision all on her own and claiming credits for it, so will appear like she is the clever one or in this case, YR will emerge as the noble one. What the heck? Secondly, I will consider that person as downgrading my intellect to think that I cannot be trusted in any of life decision or that my mouth is so big that I will leak all his grand planning and finally, he is so full of himself to want her to thank him for his so-called selfless action and lives in regret for how she misunderstood him. Again triple what the heck?????

No. Not really. The way I see it, HL always have a prejudice towards LBW that he loves power more than anything which is partially true. She always thought that he schemed everything.

@danielassny

@kyoko22

@lyserose

Historical and cultural circumstances considered, the so-called "noble idiocy" is very human (aka not really black-and-white). We, in modern times, may or may not agree with the actions/decisions. As a period drama, the actions/decisions reflect the story's timeline and backdrop. And, each member in the audience (now = modern time) will interpret the actions/decisions differently --most likely, according our own life and experiences. Actually, this is what any artistic work should do for its audience! My two cents.

A lot of minor characters impressed me:

Ning Jing did fantastic with her role of Queen of Zhao, Han Qionghua’s was surprisingly good for a rookie actress, but I really enjoyed the actor who played Lord Anguo...very charismatic and funny. The fake YR behaved more like his father than the real one lol. And as dumb as the King of Zhao typically was, he had his moments where he could think with his head, so I wasn’t completely let down by him. 

Unrelated, but princess Ya is one of the most pathetic character I’ve ever seen. She could’ve had a decent life with YR’s brother (good performance by Wang Yu too, he was great in Painted Skin 2), but she has no self-love and I don’t feel bad for her fate at all since she’s been given many chances and warnings/advices by HL.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, therewillbeddl said:

A lot of minor characters impressed me:

Ning Jing did fantastic with her role of Queen of Zhao, Han Qionghua’s was surprisingly good for a rookie actress, but I really enjoyed the actor who played Lord Anguo...very charismatic and funny. The fake YR behaved more like his father than the real one lol. And as dumb as the King of Zhao typically was, he had his moments where he could think with his head, so I wasn’t completely let down by him. 

Unrelated, but princess Ya is one of the most pathetic character I’ve ever seen. She could’ve had a decent life with YR’s brother (good performance by Wang Yu too, he was great in Painted Skin 2), but she has no self-love and I don’t feel bad for her fate at all. 

@therewillbeddl

Totally agree with you on the Queen of Zhao and Lord Anguo! Excellent. That's why I find that Huayang (Dowager) shows a different side of Lord Anguo to be so fascinating and surprising. Also, the King of Zhao's character is in direct contrast to his wife.  I'm reminded of the scene from the early parts, where the King and Queen of Zhao were witnessing the sacrificial burning of Hao Lan and they were stunned when she walked out unharmed. And they reacted differently to Hao Lan afterwards...(very nuanced). 

QiongHua's character is very memorable. Her costumes/hair-pieces help her character tell the character's story. (I didn't know the actress is relatively unknown. Good for her!)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SailBeneteau said:

I'm sincerely surprised that you seem to prefer Yanxi's story line over Hao Lan's story.  And, of course, I respect your preference as an audience member. 

In terms of production timeline, I read somewhere that Hao Lan was actually filmed months before Yanxi started.

It's ok. Different people, different taste. But as always, coming with an expectation from something that you love so much prior to that, the letdowns are unavoidable. I could have enjoyed Haolan so much more if only I have not watched Yanxi and loving it so much.

BTW Yanxi was filmed earlier. Yanxi was between July/August 2017 - October 2017. Hoalan was filmed from December 2017 - April 2018. Initially, Haolan was slated for 48 eps but extended to 63 eps because of Yanxi's popularity.