[Current Mainland WebDrama 2019] The Legend of Hao Lan / Beauty Hao Lan 皓镧传

-jade-

I think this movie was supposed to have a hapoy ending for HL and LBW.  It gave us hint from the moment HL saw LBW the first time after 8 yrs, she wanted to run to him.  When he came and hug her twice. She went to help him when he was sick.  When she said he never change after all these years but people like him is even more attractive. The way she looked at him after eveytime he left.  When he called her exlover she said it ache her heart.  She did not answer his question if she does love yiren.  And on ber bd the show the same kind of entertainment she enjoyed with LBW. She saw him, she thoight of him and the sign of apilling water is a sign of guilt she feel. She know she has to restrAin herself from thinking about him.  Her eye clearly show she was following him. NoT thinking about Yiren or missed her last bd with him. 

She know what he wants is power, but power can only be given thru royalty therefore she sacrificed her love to be with Yiren to be able to fullfill that power for LBW.  When her son become king, she diesnt want to be in the middle of them therefore she decided to break them apart not as a resentment of LBW but as a protection for him from her son.  Their fate is destine together like LBw said and they are each other soul mate. 

Just sad that the difector didnt at least keep the happy ending scene.  Gave us all the hint and hope and LBW loyal love for HL after all these year didnt even deserve a happy ending???? 

Why the director worry about history??? He already made HL character not like history.   So dissappointed

Edited by Lbw fan
  • Like 2

@Lbw fan

Everyone interprets the scenes differently:

1) HL didn't answer LBW's question when she travelled south to save people and LBW b/c she was in the middle of various struggles in the imperial court (= she was experiencing pain and misunderstandings). Then, she found out in Episode 56 what was really happening. 

2) HL was portrayed as a person who cherished past memories. So, if she saw someone after 8 yrs, there was probably mixed emotions at first. But, it does not mean anything else...

3) To oust LBW from his position as Chancellor is HL's way of honoring her son and the legacy of the throne. HL knew that as long as LBW was in power, her son (the King) would not be able to execute what Zheng'er wants to do. It was a clear conflict. In this case, HL decided to side with the King.

My two cents.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 12:53 AM, SailBeneteau said:

Personally, I can appreciate the reasons behind why the writers/producers veered away from Zhao Ji's historical accounts about her life (possibly, just rumors and slanders). I am glad this drama did not stick to "history", especially if there is some historical evidence (yet un-explained or unknown to the general public) that would argue against the slander.

In a statement, Yu Zheng (the executive producer) said that what attracted him to the script 6 years ago were:

1) a woman (Hao Lan/Zhao Ji) could endure years as a hostage in Zhao with a son, become the Consort to the King of Qin, and then the first officially recognized Dowager Empress (Qin Shi Huang named himself the first Emperorf a unified China).

2) questions regarding what she was like as a person to be able to survive and thrive under life's circumstances.

3) what can HaoLan's life show or teach people of today about life's purpose, etc. And, in addition, what can the other main characters (YiRen and LBW) tell everyone about life and its journey...

For >10 episodes, I wondered why Legend of Hao Lan was the title. Now, I understand why.

Yu Zheng said one of this friends/collegues who normally wouldn't watch his productions thought this is a good drama and she cautioned that people who like The Legend of Hao Lan may not like his other works, and vice versa. Yu Zheng said that's too bad, but he cannot let it stop him from making future productions he believes are good stories.

This drama is a success, although some of the supporting roles ended too abruptly (ex: XiaoChun and others) and some of the scenes "wandered off" a bit (ex: Ep 59/60). The main story and its deeper meanings are clear for everyone in the audience to interpret in their own way.

@SailBeneteau
Hello. I haven't watched this drama yet but was checking to see the comments about it.
I am very interested in what you wrote here especially #3.

3) what can HaoLan's life show or teach people of today about life's purpose, etc. And, in addition, what can the other main characters (YiRen and LBW) tell everyone about life and its journey...

Would you mind summarizing in your own words what you learned from this show?  I am curious to hear about it.  Thank you in advance :)

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 2:44 AM, dancingbee said:

Hello. I haven't watched this drama yet but was checking to see the comments about it.
I am very interested in what you wrote here especially #3.

Would you mind summarizing in your own words what you learned from this show?  I am curious to hear about it.  Thank you in advance

@dancingbee

Hello! And thanks for your note above. After watching the drama, I also read some notes from the production team on the characters. This drama has several complex hidden messages for the viewers. Each main and supporting character has their own lessons to share.

Without revealing the plot (no spoilers from me!!), here are some thoughts to share:

Hao Lan is portrayed as a strong independent woman who survives life's circumstances (= tragic, dangerous, political, etc). She strives to thrive in every situation and does her utmost. She is a person who lives life to its fullest in her own way. She has a strong sense of commitment (in the good sense and sometimes she is quite stubborn); she is very loyal to loved ones around her. The executive producer mentioned that a key characteristic of Hao Lan is that she cherishes life and herself (portrayed with the underlying message that "one cannot love others if one cannot love oneself"). This is somewhat of an over-simplification for me...I think HaoLan's "sense of commitment (to life, love, family, duty, country, etc)" and her "sense of responsibility (--always doing what she believes is the right thing to do or say)" is the highlight for me.

Lǚ Bu Wei is a smart, resourceful, extremely driven, and ambitious guy. Born into a family of merchants, he has ambitions to achieve more in life. His ultimate goal is to achieve power (political and social) and wealth. In doing so, he abandons personal pursuits (love, friendship, etc). And, I believe that Lǚ Bu Wei lives to regret his choices...

Ying Yi Ren is probably my favorite character in this story. Born into Qin's royalty, he is sent to the state of Zhao as a hostage-prince at an early age. Yi Ren is extremely intelligent and knowledgeable, and he is also a skillful politician and diplomat. The drama shows Yi Ren's transformation from hostage-prince to heir-apparent to the King of Qin. The story shows many sides of this character: intelligence, depth, wisdom, humility, love, kindness, anger, sadness, endurance, commitment to duty/country, shrewdness, diplomatic prowess, mission-driven philosophy, etc. [The actor, Mao Zi Jun, was excellent.] The actor commented about his character (paraphrase): "Think of Yi Ren as a calm bottomless lake." 

--This is a high-quality production and a very unique story! Besides the main characters, there are memorable supporting roles and their stories also.

--Hope you will watch the drama and enjoy it as much as I have!!! :) Come back to this forum/thread after you've watched the drama.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Brace yourselves, The Legend of Hao Lan and historical C-drama lovers.

The following (non-contemporary, historical) genres of C-dramas and C-movies are restricted (限古令)  from broadcasting or webcasting from March to June (and more like indefinitely):

1. Wuxia 
  2. Fantasy
  3. Historical
  4. Legend
  5. Time-travel
  6. Biographical
  7. Palace struggle/intrigue

For dramas of above genres, if they haven't been shown, they would be till the finale. But, after that, they would all be wiped off from all (Chinese) internet platforms. Dramas such as 《独孤皇后 Queen Dugu》,《东宫 Goodbye my Princess》,《招摇 The Legends》,《倚天屠龙记 Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre》,,《延禧攻略 The Story of Yanxi Palace》, 《芈月传 The Legend of Mi Yue》,and so on. In particular, dramas of historical, period costumes and palace struggle-related genres would all be restricted across the board.

66134906ly1g02e7kud3rj20v90ku43f.jpg

9iicofk.jpg

8cd81d969e1208803f8683f979e21281da7277e9fca6f70e205c395d8c85f981.jpg

3gasHfy.jpg

VAnFg2M.jpg

For dramas that are waiting for an on-air or live-stream schedule, either via broadcast or webcast, they would have to undergo another round of audit before approval, and before a new schedule of airing would be given. It is reported that most may not be on-air or on live-stream anytime sooner than two years later.

The most recent dramas that are affected:

《新白娘子传奇  The Legend of White Snake 2019》that was originally reported for premiere on 3.27.19 has now been rescheduled. 

Vvsqcuz.png 

《我的波塞冬 My Poseidon》that was originally reported for premiere on 3.24.19 has also been rescheduled.

CACp8Cw.jpg

Also shelved, indefinitely, are:

• 《帝王业 Monarch Industry》now 《江山故人》Zhang Ziyi's debut TV drama

ac3fe67de0.jpg

• 《大明皇妃·若传 The Empress of the Ming》Tang Wei and Zhu Yawe

dN47RLY.jpg

• 《九州斛珠夫人 (lit.) Novoland: Pearl Eclipse》Yang Mi

QFGHiay.png

• 《三生三世枕上 Eternal Love: The Pillow Book》Dilraba Dilmurat and Vengo Gao

00-1532589175.jpg

• 《狼殿下 The Wolf》Darren Wang Dalu, Sweet Li Qin and Sean Xiao Zhan

R3YtSAl.jpg

• 《锦衣之下 Under the Power》Allen Ren Jialun and Seven Tan Songyun

Hkex7qQ.jpg

• 《庶女锦兰 (lit.) Commoner Jin Lan》 Hu Ge and Cecelia Liu Shishi

L2GmiH8.jpg

Historically, this is the strictest across the board restriction ever imposed by the CN authorities. 

So, for those who are watching The Legend of Hao Lan (or any other drama within the genres affected), do complete your watching ASAP, before they are all taken down. While only the Chinese platforms are affected now, one never knows when the hammer will strike other non-Chinese platforms, like Youtube, Viki, etc.

PS: Unfortunately, the unlikely benefactor in this whole scheme of things may end up to be those illegal streaming sites. 

Source:

Excerpted from http://www.epochtimes.com/gb/19/3/22/n11133068.htmhttp://www.epochtimes.com/gb/19/3/24/n11135752.htm

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

General translation of that:

Due to strong reactions they are rolling back the ban. Starting April they can start broadcasting online. But they need online broadcast permissions before they do so. 

Every month before the 15th, they have to notify local authorities what their broadcast plan is.

They have to control historical series quota - contemporary programming should make up 60% of broadcast content.

They need to get all kinds of permissions for doing anything - promotions, etc.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, crispachu said:

General translation of that:

Due to strong reactions they are rolling back the ban. Starting April they can start broadcasting online. But they need online broadcast permissions before they do so. 

Every month before the 15th, they have to notify local authorities what their broadcast plan is.

They have to control historical series quota - contemporary programming should make up 60% of broadcast content.

They need to get all kinds of permissions for doing anything - promotions, etc.

@crispachu

@therewillbeddl

Thanks to you both!

Curious question: what's the underlying reason for all of "these" restrictions on period dramas? Aren't they really popular (just like period dramas in the US/EU, such as Downton Abbey)?? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SailBeneteau said:

@crispachu

@therewillbeddl

Thanks to you both!

Curious question: what's the underlying reason for all of "these" restrictions on period dramas? Aren't they really popular (just like period dramas in the US/EU, such as Downton Abbey)?? 

I have no idea! I'll ask a friend who grew up in China (I'm overseas Chinese).

13 hours ago, crispachu said:

I have no idea! I'll ask a friend who grew up in China (I'm overseas Chinese).

@crispachu

Thanks for asking your friend!

Have you finished watching this drama? If so, how do you like it? I presume you don't need translations/subtitles to be added (some people have to wait for that, it seems...)

13 hours ago, SailBeneteau said:

@crispachu

Thanks for asking your friend!

Have you finished watching this drama? If so, how do you like it? I presume you don't need translations/subtitles to be added (some people have to wait for that, it seems...)

She's out these few days - I'll have to ask tomorrow.

I actually haven't seen this one - I'm in the middle of Zhao Yao (Legends) and HSDS and just slogged through the Destiny of White Snake so I haven't had time for this one yet :) 2018/2019 has been a great year for these dramas, I have to say! 

How is this one for you so far? Do you know if this is a happy ending?

11 hours ago, crispachu said:

I actually haven't seen this one - I'm in the middle of Zhao Yao (Legends) and HSDS and just slogged through the Destiny of White Snake so I haven't had time for this one yet :) 2018/2019 has been a great year for these dramas, I have to say! 

How is this one for you so far? Do you know if this is a happy ending?

@crispachu

2018/2019 has been really good. I'm looking forward to watching several dramas! Hopefully, you will enjoy watching Legend of Hao Lan as much as I have :)  It is a very enjoyable. So good that it is on my "re-watch list" now. The production is very high quality (acting, music, costume, etc). After I finished the last episode (#62), I was satisfied with the ending. (No spoilers!)

• Like 1

@jadecloud

Pengyou, hi! Long time no see! First of all, I want to thank you for making this thread. I don't watch C-dramas that much, but I definitely loved watching this after Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace and The Story of Yanxi Palace. If you have time to spare, I hope you'll indulge my query. Otherwise, please know that it's alright if it's not possible. Thank you so much! It is in regard to episode 45, at its end part or when Zichu took Hao Lan for a birthday surprise with those lovely lanterns. I understand that he was romantically speaking to her through odes. But the translations at around 40.24 mark were cut off or untranslated from the site in which I was watching it. If you could just give me a general idea about their conversation without translating word for word what they said to each other would already make my heart full of gratefulness and glee. Thank you so much! Hugs and Blessings!

Edited to add:

To be more specific, the translations were cut off starting at the part after Hao Lan stated:

''There are mountains and mountains. Who thinks about the cloud? Western beauty.'' 

And then there were no translations afterwards on their conversation except for:

''Your Majesty is passionate.''

I am dying to know what were the missing parts from 4.24 up to 4.45.

Apologies for being passionately fastidious. It is one of my most favourite scenes in the drama.

Please reply only at your most convenient time.

Duo xie!!!

Post-script:

It became more lucid and beautiful now that I understand the said scenes which I re-watched for several times with the detailed explanations you so graciously provided in mind. Thank you so much @bluehibiscus and @SailBeneteau for making my viewing experience more enriching. 

Hello everyone. I'm a new member here. I've already watched the ending episode of Haolan. Can someone please explain to me about the ending? I don't quite get it. 

First of all, why Lu Buwei got demoted by the King? As far as I am concerned, Lu Buwei helped the King to kill Lao Ai.

I know Bai Zhong said something to Lu Buwei before Lu Buwei got demoted by the King. But I don't get what he said because the english translation is quite off sometimes. I was suffering reading the english translation to be honest. 

One more thing, before the end, Bai Zhong said to the King it was Haolan's 'plan' to get rid of Lu Buwei so that the King will have his own absolute power. Something like that. So, what is her 'plan' actually? To make Lu Buwei killed Lao Ai? If yes, how is killing Lao Ai will make Lu Buwei guilty since the King himself wanted Lao Ai to be killed.

I am very frustrated with the ending. Can someone please enlighten me with the ending? Thank you so much! 

Note: I hate the new King (Haolan's son). He was so immature and not qualified to be a King. If I were Lu Buwei, I would definitely dethroned him. :lol: