[Current Mainland WebDrama 2019] The Legend of Hao Lan / Beauty Hao Lan 皓镧传

-jade-

5 hours ago, therewillbeddl said:

@SailBeneteau agree with your observations especially about Han Qionghua, I think she has one of the most pleasantly memorable scenes in the drama. As for Princess Ya, she is a lost cause. I feel like she might be unhinged. She is so mentally deranged that she cannot see how toxic her one sided “love” for YR is, despite numerous instances where she has suffered the consequences, where she should have learned her lesson. Everyone else tried to reason with her, she has been giving many chances, but she sacrificed everything precious to her (her country, her family, her dignity, her morals, her self) for the sake of something she knows damn well will never come true. 

@therewillbeddl

interesting recollection:

QiongHua laughingly said that "Princess Ya became insane b/c of her love".

Do you remember the scene? Episode?

Oh my god. I watched the snippets of the finale on weibo. Goodness, it is terrible. The Qin Shi Huang is portrayed as a lunatic tyrant and violent young king (idk where's his resemblance with either YR or LBW or even HL), Lao Ai, a mere guard can simply desecrated the Dowager's plants just because he is angry of her and the two infamous illegitimate children in history are actually adopted by HL. And HL just dissappeared like that and that's it? The story seems to serve no purpose after Yingren's death. It's like watching a totally different drama. While Yingren was given complexity and perfect conclusion to his char, the rest are just redundant. LBW? Xiaochun? Already they whitewashed Zhao Ji (understandable) and then veered so far away from history but I didn't expect it would be this bad. Read that the ending was so rushed and that 63eps were cut down to 62eps. *Headdesk* Should have expected this from a Yu Zheng's drama. Yanxi was just a lucky fluke from him. I am going to watch the full eps of the finale to have some good laugh. 

• Like 1

@SailBeneteau yes, ep 29 I think? When Zhao lost in the Changping battle and decided to execute YR as revenge.

@danielassny I had been looking forward to Ying Zheng’s portrayal but this is disappointing. Not sure if it’s the actor (the younger one was SO much better) or more the writing, but he is so awkward, I’m actually embarrassed for the historical Qin

Shihuang.

After Zhao Ji was imprisoned, many officials were killed by Qin Shihuang for begging to release her. One last person tried and succeeded by mentioning filial piety being an essential criteria to rule a unified country in the eyes of the public. They tried to insert this major event in a scene in the drama but it was poorly executed because of how Qin Shihuang was written there. 

The ending was bizarre, it was going nowhere for everyone else after YR’s death but YR’s character was well portrayed as a whole so at least there’s that. 

This drama had so much potential given the time period with 3 interesting characters that shaped the Qin empire, but the potential was not met. However, there were plenty of scenes that I found enjoyable and made this redeemable imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, therewillbeddl said:

@SailBeneteau yes, ep 29 I think? When Zhao lost in the Changping battle and decided to execute YR as revenge.

@danielassny I had been looking forward to Ying Zheng’s portrayal but this is disappointing. Not sure if it’s the actor (the younger one was SO much better) or more the writing, but he is so awkward, I’m actually embarrassed for the historical Qin

Shihuang.

After Zhao Ji was imprisoned, many officials were killed by Qin Shihuang for begging to release her. One last person tried and succeeded by mentioning filial piety being an essential criteria to rule a unified country in the eyes of the public. They tried to insert this major event in a scene in the drama but it was poorly executed because of how Qin Shihuang was written there. 

The ending was bizarre, it was going nowhere for everyone else after YR’s death but YR’s character was well portrayed as a whole so at least there’s that. 

This drama had so much potential given the time period with 3 interesting characters that shaped the Qin empire, but the potential was not met. However, there were plenty of scenes that I found enjoyable and made this redeemable imo. 

@therewillbeddl

Did you enjoy watching the historical aspects (such as the Changping battle, Qin's expansion plans, etc)? 

Although I haven't gotten past Episode 52 yet, the older Zheng'er has already replaced the "little one" (Agreed! The little Zheng'er was portrayed quite well.)

You guys are making me think that this drama without YR's character and story line falls apart.....Not too surprised perhaps. In a way, HL's voice was stronger in the first part of the story (Zhao) and, for the 2nd part of the story (including the 8yrs in hiding), there is something "missing" about Hao Lan....

13 hours ago, therewillbeddl said:

Bizarre indeed. The drama is called "The Legend of Haolan" not legend of Yingren, yet her char just vanished into thin air. Other than Bai Zhong delivering her last message for her son to understand her intention, we don't know what kind of conclusion there is for her. Same goes with LBW. No proper closure to his char. These two main chars were given the journeys but not the closures. 

While Qin Shi Huang maybe known as a tyrant, he was an able ruler and a great military strategist. In here, he was portrayed as simply a brat with anger management issue and inclination for violence. The actors who played him and Lao Ai went OTT, I cringed watching their scenes.

A lot of scenes didn't make the final cut along with the boating scene which they weirdly released in the BTS. The CP fans are crying foul at weibo. Lol. All and all, the drama is a hot mess. *sigh* 

• Like 3

It was hard to sleep after finishing this drama. And when I woke up, I was still having trouble digesting the ending of this damned drama. Everything was so rushed, left hanging, unresolved. 

It’s not that I wanted a happy ending, but at least show some logic to the resolutions of each character. Where the heck was Hao Lan, did she elope, why didn’t she come out, was she sick, was she dead? Xiao Chun? Hua Yang? Dan? The evil Eunuch?

The acting skills of the three younger guys - Ying Zheng, Dan, Lao Ai - were terrible. It’s like their neck had a problem. And the expressions were unbearably psycho, not even the slightest feel of nobility, intelligence or reason. The entire time Yi Ren/Zi Chu was on screen, you can feel his aura of a royal, whether he was in Zhao or in Qin. Other than the pretty clothes the three boys wore to look the part, not an inch of them hinted at royalty.

Damn. I had hope during the last third of the drama. I’m disappointed. Gonna continue to lose sleep over this damned ending.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh...towards the end of this show, I still couldn't figure out why HL resented LBW so much? While she may has concern over her son's power as the true king of Qin and LBW's carving for power, I still feel that her resentment is too much. She even made a play with Lao Ai just to aggrieved LBW, even when she knows he always and still loves her and no matter how manipulative he is, he is always concern over her well-being. With the boating scene being cut out, her final reaction upon seeing the pearl that LBW left for her is more of a reaction of a woman feeling happily accomplished that LBW finally vanished from her life and stripped off everything. In the end, I agree that the boat scene doesn't need to make in into the final cut. I don't think that HL ever loved LBW at all. She isn't worth his love either. 

• Thanks 1

Some ppl say the boat scene is likely HL trying to assassinate him. 

@SailBeneteau This show is first and foremost a drama, so I didn’t expect it to be historically focused, but aside from HL’s whitewashing, I think the historical aspects were done decently well, at least the most important parts. For example, the dialogues between LBW and YR when they first met and when LBW tried to explain to his father why he wanted to help YR become king actually happened and made an impact in history after Qin. Also the ongoing Zhao-Qin tensions and battles

3 hours ago, danielassny said:

. In the end, I agree that the boat scene doesn't need to make in into the final cut. I don't think that HL ever loved LBW at all. She isn't worth his love either. 

@danielassny 

Though I haven't reached the end-Episodes yet, I can't help but feel that HL isn't worthy of either YR or LBW...It is such a strange feeling towards the main female lead of the story...Something is missing about HL. 

This drama's name/title is misleading...As an audience member, I think that the separate but intertwined stories of LBW's  and YR's outweigh HL's and the two men drive the story. Thus, after YR's death, the story falls apart...

@therewillbeddl

Yes, we agree on the important historical aspects (you described below).

2 hours ago, therewillbeddl said:

I think the historical aspects were done decently well, at least the most important parts. For example, the dialogues between LBW and YR when they first met and when LBW tried to explain to his father why he wanted to help YR become king actually happened and made an impact in history after Qin. Also the ongoing Zhao-Qin tensions and battles

I CANT BELIEVE YU ZHENG DID THIS TO ME. How can he promotes Legend of Haolan as NieYuanxWuJinYan reunion and then give them a bad ending?!! *TearsforDays*

So im guessing they postponed earlier in November because they had to cut some scenes to make the drama more historically accurated. Im assuming the true ending of this drama is after Haolan receives the golden ball from Lu Bu Wei, she went with him (hence, the boat scene) and her disappearance when her son came to visit her. I mean afterall no one really knows if LBW really poisoned himself or if the empress dowager is really locked in her palace. I

dont know if you all recall but Lu Bu Wei bought that golden ball at the place where he first met Haolan. And he was stating the importance of that golden ball too. So im guessing that with Lu Bu Wei gifting that to Haolan, he is telling her that shes the most important to him. Guess thats why Haolan forgave and went with him in the end? Darn it Yu Zheng, shouldve just gave us the real ending. 

Theres so much discussion about Yingren-Haolan-LuBuWei love triangle. Personally, I would like to think Haolan never really stopped loving Lu Bu Wei (even after marriage and seeing him again after 8 yrs, she still looks/reacts to him however because shes now another persons wife so she restrained herself) btw heard they released an official MV for the LBWxHL using the main theme song “Moon Out”.  

But yeah, I agree with above posts how Haolan doesnt deserve LBW’s love. He stayed loyal to her and prioritized her until the very end but she backstabbed him. Her character was very inconsistent or another word, not well written. I cant really root for her in this drama for some reason. And also super agree with Lao Ai and Ying Zheng’s acting *cringeworthy* 

Time to go rewatch Yanxi because Haolan broke my heart LoL I need my happily ever after T.T

• Like 1

@insertusernamehere

@therewillbeddl

@lyserose

@peanutbutterjellytime

@kyoko22

@danielassny

Just finished Episode 62...

Personally, I can appreciate the reasons behind why the writers/producers veered away from Zhao Ji's historical accounts about her life (possibly, just rumors and slanders). I am glad this drama did not stick to "history", especially if there is some historical evidence (yet un-explained or unknown to the general public) that would argue against the slander.

In a statement, Yu Zheng (the executive producer) said that what attracted him to the script 6 years ago were:

1) a woman (Hao Lan/Zhao Ji) could endure years as a hostage in Zhao with a son, become the Consort to the King of Qin, and then the first officially recognized Dowager Empress (Qin Shi Huang named himself the first Emperorf a unified China).

2) questions regarding what she was like as a person to be able to survive and thrive under life's circumstances.

3) what can HaoLan's life show or teach people of today about life's purpose, etc. And, in addition, what can the other main characters (YiRen and LBW) tell everyone about life and its journey...

For >10 episodes, I wondered why Legend of Hao Lan was the title. Now, I understand why.

Yu Zheng said one of this friends/collegues who normally wouldn't watch his productions thought this is a good drama and she cautioned that people who like The Legend of Hao Lan may not like his other works, and vice versa. Yu Zheng said that's too bad, but he cannot let it stop him from making future productions he believes are good stories.

This drama is a success, although some of the supporting roles ended too abruptly (ex: XiaoChun and others) and some of the scenes "wandered off" a bit (ex: Ep 59/60). The main story and its deeper meanings are clear for everyone in the audience to interpret in their own way.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2019 at 12:29 PM, ChloeR said:

I CANT BELIEVE YU ZHENG DID THIS TO ME. How can he promotes Legend of Haolan as NieYuanxWuJinYan reunion and then give them a bad ending?!! *TearsforDays*

So im guessing they postponed earlier in November because they had to cut some scenes to make the drama more historically accurated. Im assuming the true ending of this drama is after Haolan receives the golden ball from Lu Bu Wei, she went with him (hence, the boat scene) and her disappearance when her son came to visit her. I mean afterall no one really knows if LBW really poisoned himself or if the empress dowager is really locked in her palace. I

dont know if you all recall but Lu Bu Wei bought that golden ball at the place where he first met Haolan. And he was stating the importance of that golden ball too. So im guessing that with Lu Bu Wei gifting that to Haolan, he is telling her that shes the most important to him. Guess thats why Haolan forgave and went with him in the end? Darn it Yu Zheng, shouldve just gave us the real ending. 

Theres so much discussion about Yingren-Haolan-LuBuWei love triangle. Personally, I would like to think Haolan never really stopped loving Lu Bu Wei (even after marriage and seeing him again after 8 yrs, she still looks/reacts to him however because shes now another persons wife so she restrained herself) btw heard they released an official MV for the LBWxHL using the main theme song “Moon Out”.  

But yeah, I agree with above posts how Haolan doesnt deserve LBW’s love. He stayed loyal to her and prioritized her until the very end but she backstabbed him. Her character was very inconsistent or another word, not well written. I cant really root for her in this drama for some reason. And also super agree with Lao Ai and Ying Zheng’s acting *cringeworthy* 

Time to go rewatch Yanxi because Haolan broke my heart LoL I need my happily ever after T.T

The golden ball/pearl was bought the same day he bought Haolan. Tbh, this scene shows bad editing because first and foremost, LBW bought the pearl (actually he paid higher price for the box, not the pearl) before he bought Haolan. No idea if Haolan witnessed the grand scene of LBW showing-off his wealth since she was brought in for sell later on.

I would also like to believe she never stopped loving LBW which actually hinted that way - from how she reacted upon seeing him after 8 years (excited but had to restrain herself), affected upon learning of his marriage to Bai Ling'Er,  she couldn't admit to LBW when he asked her if she loves Yingren and still affected by his touch when he visited the epidemic plague area. But her action shifts 360 degree once she becomes a dowager. To this day, I still don't understand why is she holding so much grudge against LBW?

While I appreciate the feminist theme that they highlighted in this drama, but there's something not right about it. Being a feminist does not mean everything is all about you as a woman, about what you want, about your benefit and all and totally ignoring the sides of the man. That is not feminism, that is selfishness. This is exactly how Haolan is. She keeps repeating the mantra of how a woman should love herself first and more but when comes to the men, she expected them to put her first. LBW indeed loves himself but that does not mean he doesn't love her enough to have her best interest at heart. The same goes with Yingren. I read some comments on twitter and IG and I agree that Haolan's love is cheap. Perhaps that's why I couldn't root for her. And not to mention how she applies different standards on the two men in her life. No matter what LBW does for her, she still choose to refute his sincerity. In contrast, she only choose to see the good in Yingren just because he isn't outright manipulative. Haolan is so inconsistent. And as said earlier, she isn't worthy of any of those men's love esp LBW. She does not even know what she wants. She is a lost character.

And really? There's an official MV for LBW x HL with the theme song? So, that could be said that the official CP is LBW x HL? Probably they want to make up for cutting out the boat scene or to appease the angry shippers of Yanxi's couple. Or I could be mistaken but that song only playing for the scenes involving LBW and HL.

All and all, as most people commented, this drama is a downgrade from Yanxi and I couldn't agree more. 

• Like 1

While the official weibo promoted HL-YR more, I feel like they intended to make HL-LBW the official ship. But then again, Yu Zheng tried to be fair with both, one with that boat scene art and the other posting a long message in regards to HL-YR and admitting she did love him. 

People keep saying this drama has duo first male leads, but screentime wise, Nie Yuan seems like the male lead. Yet, Mao Zijun was always billed first, after WJY, while NY was always the 3rd billed. 

@SailBeneteau I can’t say specifically on top of my head, but definitely any scenes taking place in Zhao state, first half of the show. Most of my fav scenes are from there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, therewillbeddl said:

While the official weibo promoted HL-YR more, I feel like they intended to make HL-LBW the official ship. But then again, Yu Zheng tried to be fair with both, one with that boat scene art and the other posting a long message in regards to HL-YR and admitting she did love him. 

People keep saying this drama has duo first male leads, but screentime wise, Nie Yuan seems like the male lead. Yet, Mao Zijun was always billed first, after WJY, while NY was always the 3rd billed. 

@SailBeneteau I can’t say specifically on top of my head, but I think everyone agrees that any scenes from Zhao > Qin right? 

While I'm not sure what Yu Zheng intended to do with the "boat scene art", my suspicion is that the production team has tried to please everyone in the audience who waited for a "happy ending for HaoLan-LBW" but didn't get that in the ending.

Yu Zheng has made it clear that the story is about HaoLan. However (during many/12+ episodes) I have felt strongly that the story is about Ying Yiren (partly due to the actor's excellent performance and interpretation of Yiren). 

@therewillbeddl: Scenes from Zhao > Qin, you mean? Why? 

For me, Zhao = Qin (or, Zhao scenes are just as memorable as the Qin ones). That's probably due to Ying Yiren's story line. The drama after Yiren's death can't measure up at all.  There were many disappointing scenes around Episodes 59-62...until the very end when Zheng'er finally shows up to "beg" his mother to return to the palace and he is received by Bai General only.  

p.s--The story's inserted historical credits --with a voice-over -- were memorable. Enjoyed both inserts. Quite dignified.

• Like 2

@SailBeneteau Actually thinking about it, I agree with you that >>> Ep 59-62. I’d like to forget how things ended because this drama could’ve been good if things were written differently after YR’s death. While I prefer scenes from Zhao because they were less depressing and dark compared to Qin, I thoroughly enjoyed some Qin scenes like Lord Anguo’s and Hua Yang’s. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, therewillbeddl said:

@SailBeneteau Actually thinking about it, I agree with you that >>> Ep 59-62. I’d like to forget how things ended because this drama could’ve been good if things were written differently after YR’s death. While I prefer scenes from Zhao because they were less depressing and dark compared to Qin, I thoroughly enjoyed some Qin scenes like Lord Anguo’s and Hua Yang’s. 

@therewillbeddl

Yes, agreed:  the scenes with Lord Anguo and Huayang --earlier as "FuRen" and later as "Dowager"-- were quite good. Even the very last scene with Dowager Huayang was really memorable (Episode 61/62?) when she confessed her journey in life. 

I miss scenes with XiaoChun, especially in the last episode (Ep 62). Supposedly, what happened to her?

Re: Episodes 59-62 (contains minor spoilers below)

The characters from the younger/next generation didn't really have enough time to develop or mature. Felt rushed and abrupt. But, I understand that the plot had to give an ending to Dowager Huayang and Dowager Xia's stories. Also, they had to find a way to oust LBW from his position/power.

(Need more Episodes?? Why stop at 62?)

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 9:53 AM, SailBeneteau said:

This drama is a success, although some of the supporting roles ended too abruptly (ex: XiaoChun and others) and some of the scenes "wandered off" a bit (ex: Ep 59/60). The main story and its deeper meanings are clear for everyone in the audience to interpret in their own way.

More "stills" (images) of this drama are being released on Twitter. Follow hashtag #LegendOfHaoLan to check them out! 

• Like 1