Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Live or Die aka What’s the Problem, Poong Sang?, 왜그래 풍상씨

I saw the last 20 minutes or so live. I'll probably post more after I watch the whole episode subbed, but I will say I'm happy with how the donor situation turned out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like I said above, I was happy with how the donor situation turned out. I'm glad the twins ended up donating instead of BS. I have a soft spot for HS, but she's been the most consistently selfish sibling and the one with the most resentment toward PS as well Jeong Sang, so I was glad to see her not only secretly donate her liver but also come together with Jeong Sang. The scene of them looking at each other's scars was nice. 

I liked the scene with Chil bok and his mom too. 

• Like 3

This is a feel good episode.... The twins reconciled, PS got their livers, JiS ran away for shame he could not donate his liver, PS and HS found out about the comatose WS.

JS and husband had happy moments.

The rapist and JS' good friend were told to stay away from WS by JS. I won't be happy if they paired up WS with the girl. Staying with someone out of a sense of duty... not good. We will find that out tomorrow.... or he might die.

The mother rat is still gambling and latching on to men. CB and HS may end up together.

• Like 3

It was the most satisfying episode to date. Hwa Sang shined in this episode, but the twins shined brightest together. Lots of sentimental moments. I teared up several times, especially with Jeong Sang and Hwa Sang and Hwa Sang and Wi Sang (@qynn I, too, have a soft spot for Hwa Sang).. I have to say that I genuinely enjoyed every scene with the exception of Jeong Sang's mother-in-law and, of course, their undeserving mother (which I am glad Hwa Sang had her say with). How sweet it is of Wi Sang to thank Hwa Sang on Parent's Day.

Jin Sang will eventually make his way back to his siblings, but not until he finds success in his own way, I suppose. A time  jump, perhaps? Now that the liver issue has found resolution (I think Poong Sang should find out sooner or later who the donors are), the other major issue left is Wi Sang... whether he'll wake up and the women waiting beside him. According to the text preview, Hwa Sang cleans the box of his belongings and finds the key... the wording has me nervous. Not sure how losing Wi Sang will do any good or make any sense to the story (not that the writing hasn't been senseless at many times XD )... All my prayers are for Wi Sang today. ㅠㅠ

Finally, it's come to the final episode. It's been a rough 2+ months, but I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. (There would be less chance of me thoroughly watching this drama if I were to marathon it in one go, thus I probably wouldn't appreciate the outcomes as much (whatever they may be).) No matter how frustrating it was at times, there were so many poignant moments that made the rest worthwhile. I hope we all will feel a sense of that after tonight's final episode.

To the 5 siblings~~ fighting!

• Like 3

Twins reconciled. It was nice to not see them at each other's throats.

Right before Hwa-Sang goes under, she learned that her liver is actually big enough, but Jeong-Sang insisted on contributing her liver anyway, to help Hwa-Sang feel less lonely, and so that they cut less of her liver out.

Nothing really dramatic except Yeol-Han's WITCH mother shows up to scream and be a WITCH to Jeong-Sang. How random.

NO YANG-SHIM makes an appearance just to remind all of us that she is still TRASH. Hwa-Sang gets to tell her off but it won't make any difference to TRASH.

These two crappy moms can go jump in that shallow river any time.

Jin-Sang feels guilty that he was not the liver donor and gets on a bus. Uhhh, whatever. Maybe he should stick around and help nurse his THREE siblings recover from surgery? No? That makes too much sense?

I'm sure it will all turn out fine. Everyone will be happy by the end, break the fourth wall and smile and wave at the audience.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, songielove said:

beside him. According to the text preview, Hwa Sang cleans the box of his belongings and finds the key... the wording has me nervous. Not sure how losing Wi Sang

There was a scene in this episode which had JS handing over a box with WS' belongings to HS. That could the scene too tonight. WS deposited a fat envelop into a safety box and I think it is money that he got for doing the chief gangster's job. If he lives and they have money, it would mean a new start for the family. Things tied nicely.

I hope CB and HS end up together. He adores her and she seems to need ego boosting - a lot.

HS said to CB that they had kissed (which I saw) and had gone to a motel ( I did not see it). Was this a naughty moment or just CB providing a room for her?

• Like 1

Just finished the raw episode. That ending was kind of amusing, but I'll have to re-watch it with subs to see if I actually like it. Except for one thing I can't quite sit well with yet, the episode itself felt wholesome. Will have to return for a proper "review". :)

@nohamahamoud2002 I agree. Yoo Jun Sang and Shin Dong Mi both deserve best actor and actress awards here. I'll be looking forward to the year-end awards for them!

• Like 2

Finale.

Everyone is fine.

Hwa-Sang gets together with Chil-Bok. After a time jump you see that she is pregnant. His pants split one last time.

Jeong-Sang and husband are happy. Pregnant at the same time as Hwa-Sang.

Poong-Sang finds out his two sisters gave him their liver. He's grateful. Everyone decides to pretend not to know about this secret, which is SO KOREAN of them. :lol:

Wae-Sang left his family about $300,000 after almost dying, but wakes up. Perfectly fine. Gets with that woman he likes (Jeong-Sang's friend). The Rapist has the baby and leaves the baby at their door. Runs away crying, never seen again. (I guess the baby was Wae-Sang's, despite our assumptions.)

Time jump.

Jin-Sang gets a job as a used car salesman. Seems pretty good at it because he is handsome and good at buttering people up. Apparently stopped gambling. Gets revenge on Mi-Ryun after he gets beat up by someone and is lying in the hospital in a full body cast. Eats jja-jang-myun in front of him to make him salivate, then throws $1000 in his face.

Poong-Sang and Wae-Sang work at a nicer car repair shop that Boon-Shil is the owner of. Chil-Bok's mom is running a nicer, upgraded convenience store.

Everyone is pregnant or has a baby. Jin-Sang is with that one woman who liked him before, and they have a baby, too. Everyone gathers for a meal. This is the typical Korean Weekend Drama happy ending - a wedding, or everyone gathered to eat, holding their babies or pregnant bellies.

No Yang-Shim is ruined. She carts around junk to sell and digs through trash. I mean, just desserts I guess, but it's like a cartoon. She even has a bandage over one eye and a scar on her face. Lightning strikes when she curses Poong-Sang, literally. Ridiculous.

Poong-Sang leaves some households goods he bought at her doorstep but does not stop to see her. He says, "I can't forgive you, but I no longer hate you." No redemption.

Poong-Sang breaks the 4th wall and gives finger-heart to the audience. The end.

--

My thoughts. Well, you know what I think! Ultra-formulaic but they really kicked up to cray-cray levels. It did make the stock ending (everyone happy!) feel ... like relief, but still.

There is a korean expression: 병주고 약주고 which means: "Give the disease and offer the remedy" In English, the equivalent phrase is apparently, "carry fire in one hand and water in the other." I feel like that's the best way to describe this show. It made me so irritated and angry by the character's frustrating and stupid, self-defeating behavior - but you felt relief when they finally started behaving like decent human beings.

So, that was a masochistic experience. I think this was in every way a weekend family drama that was strangely morphed into a weeknight drama - a 50-episode drama that was squeezed into 20 (but felt like 100) - and they had to make everyone behave like cartoons instead of human beings in order to compete with idols, zombies, time travel, and other stuff that the weekday dramas have.

And it worked! A ratings hit! And it kept me hate-watching until the end. So, um... yay?

And even those cheesy weekend dramas always have some good tear-jerking scenes and at least teach you some life wisdom, which, even though it feels trite is always true. But the final lesson is that money DOES buy happiness. Geez, this show.

• Like 3

I love the ending. I watched raw and will rewatch on KBS world on TV. It is better than laptop. The drama deserves the high ratings.

@chickfactor do you mean by fourth wall the dramatic term? That a theatre has three walls? (Luckily I studied drama at college :D ). I really wanted to understand the meaning of the last scene. Thank you for explaining.

• Like 2

The final episode was about what I expected. Happy ending and babies for everyone. It really was a 20 episode weekend family drama airing during the weekday, but I watch weekend dramas and I watched this drama so the formula must work on me lol. I about dropped it midway through, but I'm glad I stuck with it. As frustrating as they could be, I did have a soft spot for the characters and the actors and actresses who played them. Despite the craziness, I do know people who careen from crisis to crisis, self-sabotage and then blame everyone else for the problems so that aspect felt frustrating but real.  

The one thing I will never understand is why in the world they made the pregnant girl a rapist instead of just a girl who got pregnant after a consensual ONS with WS. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I love the ending. I watched raw and will rewatch on KBS world on TV. It is better than laptop. The drama deserves the high ratings.

@chickfactor do you mean by fourth wall the dramatic term? That a theatre has three walls? (Luckily I studied drama at college :D ). I really wanted to understand the meaning of the last scene. Thank you for explaining.

Yes, you are correct. "Breaking the 4th wall" is when a character acknowledges the audience directly. The final scene is Poong-Sang looking at the audience and giving us a "finger heart" as if to say, "I love you" to us. (Why is he wearing all white? Is he dead? And why is he at the locker putting an envelope of money in it? To the last moment, this show makes NO SENSE.)

Shows used to do that regularly in the past where the cast gathers and everyone bows to the audience and says "Thanks for watching!"

5 hours ago, qynn said:

The final episode was about what I expected. Happy ending and babies for everyone. It really was a 20 episode weekend family drama airing during the weekday, but I watch weekend dramas and I watched this drama so the formula must work on me lol. I about dropped it midway through, but I'm glad I stuck with it. As frustrating as they could be, I did have a soft spot for the characters and the actors and actresses who played them. Despite the craziness, I do know people who careen from crisis to crisis, self-sabotage and then blame everyone else for the problems so that aspect felt frustrating but real.  

The one thing I will never understand is why in the world they made the pregnant girl a rapist instead of just a girl who got pregnant after a consensual ONS with WS. 

There are so many things that I do not understand. I did have a soft spot for the characters, especially Hwa-Sang. And we do all know people in real life who just can't get their s**t together and you feel anxious for them. It happens. And it was nice to see that everyone is happy in the end.

But I still can't shake this feeling like the entire thing was some sort of sick joke. It's as if the show was written by robots working from a "How to write a weekend Korean drama" guidebook. Like it was written by people who don't actually understand human emotions.

Wae-Sang being raped by that girl is one of those things. It just leaves you scratching your head thinking, "Why?" Or Yeol-Han's mother showing up once in a while just to scream and slap people - but in the end, they just ignore her and that's that. So what was the point of that?

I love the actors. I really love Yoo Joon-Sang (Poong-Sang) and Lee Si-Young (Hwa-Sang). I will always give a chance to any of their projects, and that hasn't changed. But here's to hoping that their next show is more dignified and less WTF.

I also like Lee Bo-Hee (the mother) but her character was so terrible that I will have a hard time getting past it the next time I see her.

4 minutes ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Yes it is so mysterious. I came here to ask you too :)

I think it was their mother.  Anyone else think so?

• Like 1