Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] Haechi, 해치

5 hours ago, spark101 said:

I hope I don't sound rude but, what do you even mean by unrealistic? In those days, it's simply not realistic for couples to hug and kiss, unless they are married and within the confines of their room. It's just a drama but the distance and any awkwardness makes more sense. Also, the writer and PD have made it clear the focus is on the politics/yeongjo's rule, so this isn't the drama to be watching for the romance. 

Hello @spark101 :) To put "unrealistic" into context,  i will take the specific example of a scene in "Dong Yi" wherein it was just King Sukjong and Dong Yi together. By the way,  I'm using Dong Yi because it's by the same writer. Anyway,  the scene was Sukjong and Dong Yi had just been reunited after a long time of separation wherein she gave birth to their son, who incidentally happened to be Yi Geum. She and their son had also almost died in a fire where she was hurt.  The scene is highly charged emotionally. Given the situation and the fact that it was just the two of them in a private place, Sukjong could have hugged her. Instead,  he was just made to take her hand. Then another scene was when they were finally back in the palace and Sukjong was in Yi Geum's room,  watching his son sleeping. Dong Yi had come in and sat beside him. They started bantering about who Yi Geum looked like,  until finally Dong Yi said that their son did take after his father. It was the reason why she was able to go on despite being separated from Sukjong,  because when she looked at Yi Geum,  she saw his father in him. Sukjong was so moved that he promised that he will never let them go again. Then he hugged her tightly (at least they hugged). In this scene,  I don't think it would have been quite inappropriate if he had kissed her on the forehead,   or even a kiss on her lips. They were in the privacy of Yi Geum's room and the boy was asleep. 

I'm not saying the characters should be shown doing public displays of affection, nor do I ask that the drama show highly intimate scenes at the level of dramas like "Game of Thrones" for example. But romance can be portrayed in the proper context,  at the proper time and place in the drama. 

Yes, Haechi isn't a romance drama but it does include that story arc for Yeongjo and Yeo Ji. It should at least portray how and why they (especially Yeo Ji) fall in love and have them express that love in ways within context without becoming a romantic sageuk and violating the norms of the Confucian values of that society. 

Thanks for the clarification. :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@akhenatenI just don't see the point of fussing over it so much when any scenes of affection are minimal in screen time and very background to the plot in general. It would be a different story if the actual premise of the drama was romance - but it's not, and they don't show a lot of it, hence I don't really care- it doesn't get in my way of enjoying the drama and its purpose. I'll watch something like 100 days my prince if I'm feeling up for a good sageuk romance. *shrug emoji*

• Like 2

@spark101 don't get me wrong. I do enjoy the drama very much,  despite things like what I mentioned.  But I guess I'm just one of those viewers who prefer to have loose ends tied,  so to speak,  especially loose ends involving a major character's story arc. But then,  in the case of "Haechi",  Yeo Ji is a fictional character after all so maybe that's the reason why the writer made this choice. It doesn't get in the way of the drama being a very compelling watch, but it would help make the storytelling a bit more well-rounded if we get to see that her romance with Yeongjo makes sense. :)

In any case, we've only got 3 weeks left to this drama. Regardless of how this angle of Yeongjo's story is handled,  I'm still looking forward to watching him become one of Joseon's greatest kings. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@akhenatenWell, they involve the major characters, yes, but the the story arc itself isn't major. The romance feels very much just a "oh, yeah, by the way, that's kind of a thing, but anyways..." *cue main story line*.  And we haven't seen them really confess anything more than the fact that they just want to protect each other, so... 

Well, enough back and forth on that. :D 39-40 was a great episode. And a most riveting ending. 

Spoiler

I really liked the scene between minister min and jo(head of sorons). It shows just how amazingly brilliant yeongjo was/is, and the impression it's made on the head officials. Another thing I also love about this is how it shows that the antagonists can put aside petty differences/feelings they have with yeongjo and work with him for a more important cause. History plays a part in this, but once again, I'd like to see more of this less-one-dimensional relationship between two [supposedly] opposing sides in other dramas as well. 

And when yeongjo's prescription/treatment order worked, we see his wits again. Seriously people, search up yeongjo; he was a smart dude.

That scene near the end where the rebel forces took the fortress in cheongju was great. This reminds me- I miss KBS1 doing epic sageuks. They had the best battle scenes. SBS is really bringing the sageuks this year, i guess. 

Can't wait to see how the rebellion progresses next week. 

• Like 3

Still not yet we get the romance relationship right.. Its ok.. Get it its political main plot.. Why this drama make me want more of politics.. 

• Like 2

I cannot say this enough, but "Heachi" is a good drama and King Yeongjo is such an interesting historical figure whose life makes for a very good and compelling story: the son of a lowborn woman who, for all intents and purposes,  was a real-life Korean Cinderella; ascended the throne against all odds and became one of Joseon's greatest kings. The ingredients for a great story are all there,  and they're real.  Yet not many people seem to watch this. Maybe coz his era doesn't involve too many battle scenes anymore?  Or maybe coz Yeongjo's battles are more "political" so it's more of a strategy game in court than anything else? 

Oh well. :mellow:

• Like 3

"Lee in jwa's rebellion" is on the naver search rankings right now :D Why 12 hours after the episode aired, I don't know(well, I guess people are awake now, lol), but it's fun to see people take an interest in real historical events after watching something. 

• Like 6

Ah. I have a theory for the not so high ratings. Watching "Haechi" is probably like going through History Class for them all over again. :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

I'm also very touched by the scene between minister Min and Jo... these two very senior and experienced ministers agreeing that they are not friends with each other, that they do not wish to understand the King,  and yet humbly admitting that they learnt something from the young King and were supportive of his actions and plans, for the greater good of the kingdom ... it is so different from the usual pure evil/pure good characters i see in dramas

watching Haechi made me wonder about the real King YeongJo... his life seemed jam packed with trials and difficulties, a rollercoaster rides of ups and downs. it's scary leading his life 

• Like 5

Sorry want to ask how many episodes this drama? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shynaz said:

Sorry want to ask how many episodes this drama? 

48 episodes. This will air until April 30 :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yoo1 said:

I think I'm not yet ready to say goodbye to Haechi

Wait, was that picture shown in the episodes?^^ Coz I know that was the rant on IG for it not being shown in the actual episode :). Sorry, haven't watched eps 19~20 yet :D.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, lightbringer06 said:

Wait, was that picture shown in the episodes?^^ Coz I know that was the rant on IG for it not being shown in the actual episode :). Sorry, haven't watched eps 19~20 yet :D.

@lightbringer06 it wasn't. Not to spoil you or anything. Scene cut to credits right before that one. Maybe they'll use it for future episodes as flashback.  :)

• Sad 2

Just now, akhenaten said:

@lightbringer06 it wasn't. Not to spoil you or anything. Scene cut to credits right before that one. Maybe they'll use it for future episodes as flashback.  :)

Dang, I was still hoping it was shown  funnygifsbox.com-2019-04-06-10-44-32-82.  

• Sad 2

If nothing atleast, the love between the King,  MJH and that

other minister is blooming. :)

They both realised the king wants changes that are good for Joseon.

I like these calm scenes between the King and YJ.

They are together in the palace, but that is enough for a start. :)

• Like 5

10 hours ago, rocher22 said:

If nothing atleast, the love between the King,  MJH and that

other minister is blooming. :)

They both realised the king wants changes that are good for Joseon.

I like these calm scenes between the King and YJ.

They are together in the palace, but that is enough for a start. :)

Yes. Respect is earn. Not given.

So it is really very heartwarming to see the 2 minister finally seeing what makes Yi Gwang-Jwa and another minister (sorry forget his name) follows our King willingly!

With regards to the romance... we all have agreed it's a sinking ship.

So seeing less of it might be good as our heart will break lesser. 

I'm always on the verge of crying whenever I see YJ's teary eyes looking at our King from afar.... so less is better. :lol:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

With regards to the romance... we all have agreed it's a sinking ship.

So seeing less of it might be good as our heart will break lesser. 

I'm always on the verge of crying whenever I see YJ's teary eyes looking at our King from afar.... so less is better. :lol:

Yup, you are right, if it won't developed to anything, it's better this way. So for now, I think I am more dismayed about the lack of Yeoji's development, backstory wise. However, her being there in the palace and her giving courage to YN compensates for that. I am just thankful that despite Go Ara's injury, I admire her dedication to be on the set and film because she knows her fans are waiting for her (me included 12-2.gif  ).  All the best for the remaining episodes! :kiss_wink:

• Like 2
  • Love 1