[Drama 2019] Haechi, 해치

0ly40

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@hahanzyy i feel you. I'm still checking out IG and Twitter for the regular updates. I wish the series were longer so there would have been time to tell all the stories that needed to be told. :(

There are bits and pieces of behind-the-scenes clips on IG but most of them have no subtitles and they're only parts. Here's one that I found:

It's been a week since this drama ended and I'm going through withdrawal. Decided to rewatch my favorite clips from different episodes to help me get over it. 

I'm planning to do a rewatch coz I'm discovering nuances to the storytelling that I failed to notice the first time as I was too busy taking everything in. :)

On 5/5/2019 at 5:28 PM, akhenaten said:

@hulya.23_d801  Those GIFs are beautiful!  I love the overall theme of those last scenes.  Cherry blossoms and Yeongjo and Yeo Ji's clothes echoing the color of the blossoms.  It seems to speak of hope and a new springtime, both for the kingdom of Joseon and for the two of them in particular.   Of course, I love the way they smiled at each other.  They just seemed so happy. :wub:

@ross27  @hahanzyy  I was actually quite surprised by Yeo Ji's confession.  I wasn't expecting it at all. But I loved the way she did it.  It was so in keeping with her character and personality:  straightforward, no embellishments.  She said how she felt and meant exactly what she said.  If you think about it, that confession was hard-won. As compared to Moon Su and even Yeongjo, Yeo Ji isn't the emotional type.  She doesn't look very comfortable expressing her feelings.  So for her to admit to him that she loves him is really an indication of just how much she trusts him.  So much so that she is willing to be emotionally vulnerable in front of him.  And I also loved how Yeongjo reacted to her confession.  He looked so humbled and grateful to her for loving him.   I just wish he hugged her a bit tighter.  He looked almost afraid to hold her that time.

It was a surprise but such a lovely surprise. Yeongjo was opening up to her about his fear and how scared he was that as King, he would be called upon to judge and make decisions to punish or even kill people. What if he made a wrong decision, how could he avoid that? He questioned his qualification to be King. It was a scary responsibility to decide on the life and death of a human being. Yeo Ji sensed his pain and was touched by his sincere openness to her about his fear and doubt. Hence, she reassured him that by his self-reflection on his decisions, he definitely qualified to be King and that she trusted and respected him and loved him. I also wish that the hug could be tighter..haha.  And the reassurance and admittance of love from a loved one worked very well indeed. Didn't we see a highly energetic, smiling King who had slept less than 2 hours all ready to do his day work the next morning? 

i saw an interview of JIW posted by a fan on instagram. He said the script was changed a lot bcos of Ara's injury. I'm not sure whether there is any translation error since i don't read korean. Made me very curious what the scriptwriter's original storyline was.

anyway our king is now on pilgrimage at Santiago Camino ... inspired by Korean Hostel in Spain? :D

@hahanzyy wouldn't be surprised if they had to do that.  You could see that there were changes because the continuity and flow of the Yeongjo - Yeo Ji arc suffered. I felt like they just arrived at the destination (i.e. already being in love)  without having gone through the journey (i.e. falling in love). I would have loved to see those moments between them. 

I'm pretty sure if Ara had been healthy,  Yeo Ji could've still been a court lady,  but she would definitely act more like a king's guard than a court lady,  perhaps to Yeongjo's frustration. And she would have probably joined him whenever he stepped out of the palace, especially when he visited the Hwalinseo,  to always protect him like she promised and  make sure he's alright. That would have been really nice!  But then,  maybe if she had been healthy, her character might have been killed off in the end because they would have already spent time together as lovers. I mean,  the songs were all pointing to that direction until Ara got injured. So  it was probably a good thing too because they kept her character alive until the end of the drama :)

• 2 weeks later...

Because of Haechi , I finaly watched Jang Ok Jung. Dong Yi I watched several times , it is an all-time Favorite

They are not written as a trilogy, but together they make very clear what really happened .

King Yeongjo in Haechi talks a lot about his mother  ,  who is Dong Yi /   Choi Sook-Bin.  And her  low background in his roots, which he is not ashamed of.

In the Dong yi-drama , she is praised as a friendly lovely person to all people , high or low ranks. King Sukjong , King Yeongjo 's father,  loves her a lot. Also in articles on the net this is explained.

In the Jang Ok Jung-drama , she is a calculating, shrewd and cold concubinne.

How acurate are any of these drama's ?

On 5/25/2019 at 3:05 AM, hank marvin said:

Because of Haechi , I finaly watched Jang Ok Jung. Dong Yi I watched several times , it is an all-time Favorite

They are not written as a trilogy, but together they make very clear what really happened .

King Yeongjo in Haechi talks a lot about his mother  ,  who is Dong Yi /   Choi Sook-Bin.  And her  low background in his roots, which he is not ashamed of.

In the Dong yi-drama , she is praised as a friendly lovely person to all people , high or low ranks. King Sukjong , King Yeongjo 's father,  loves her a lot. Also in articles on the net this is explained.

In the Jang Ok Jung-drama , she is a calculating, shrewd and cold concubinne.

How acurate are any of these drama's ?

@hank marvin I watched Dong Yi too but not Jang Ok Jung's drama. But from what I've read online, King Sukjong fell in love with the lowly water maid and made her his royal consort. And among all his consorts,  he had the most number of children with her. And Yeoning was his favorite son. 

On 5/26/2019 at 2:07 PM, akhenaten said:

@hank marvin I watched Dong Yi too but not Jang Ok Jung's drama. But from what I've read online, King Sukjong fell in love with the lowly water maid and made her his royal consort. And among all his consorts,  he had the most number of children with her. And Yeoning was his favorite son. 

Indeed, the love of the King for Dong Yi seems to be a historical fact.

Jang Ok Jung is a very good drama , also for the contrast that really fills up some gaps in the Dong Yi drama.

But some comments showed that people never watched Dong Yi ;a  negative idea about her as result.

• 6 months later...

Okay, I'm a Dong Yi, Yi San, and Jewel of the Palace super fan. I've watched each of these dramas so many times that I can't even guess the number. Although I'm just starting this drama, I'm having misgivings. It's written with a 'modern' attitude which is reflected in the behavior of the characters. In the drama I named earlier, there is a certain behavior and servitude that you expect from the characters, in this drama, a lot of that is missing--just a bunch of loud mouths with no appreciation for title. Since it has several of my favorite actors in here  (not a fan of the female lead), I'm going to press forward, but not sure I will last if the whole drama is this way....the plot makes zero sense.

• 1 month later...

Hi @lclarakl

I understand you based your opinion on your personal taste referencing to the dramas that you loved. First of all, this thread is created for Haechi fans. If you feel like this drama didn't pass your personal standard, don't watch it. You don't need to leave hate review here. Besides, how can you have the right to share your review if you only have seen the surface of the drama? And you don't need to make emphasis that you don't like the female lead either, that is irrelevant since you already mentioned "it has several of your favorite actors" ... 

And yes, Haechi has a modern touch. I, too, is a big fan of Jewel in the Palace, I also have watched Dong Yi, and even the legend Jumong. I have never seen Yi San, but the writer is the same as the writer of Dong Yi and Haechi... And I can say, Haechi and Dong Yi have so much differences when it comes to screenplay and direction. Haechi has a modern touch,  and unlike Dong Yi, it is not a fairytale-like love story type. It focuses mainly on the political issues.

The plot actually is written almost accurately based on the Korean history. If that is zero sense, I don't know what makes sense in creating a historical drama for you. 

Hello @yoo1, this thread isn't just for "fans", this thread is for others to share their thoughts on the drama. You either become a fan of the drama as it progresses or your don't as you continue to watch it. The thing that makes historical dramas so wonderful is when they stay within that historical environment/culture of that time, in my opinion. I had this drama on my list to watch because of the fact it was written by Kim Yi Young.  However, what I didn't expect was a modern drama with elements of historical.  The Story of Ming Lan, a Chinese drama, is my all time favorite period drama, however, some people don't like it because of how factually accurate it is when depicting concubines and treatment of slaves. However, it's that real depiction that helps the viewers understand the environment in how decisions were being made. That's why I wish Haechi had stayed true to it's time period.

Both this drama, Dong Yi, and Yi San have elements of factual historical events and are all heavy political more than anything else. However, this drama depicts Yeoning as someone who is always on the verge of crying; almost weak when he was not. The fact that he survived and lived to rule as long as he did speaks to his strength. I finished this drama, but it's not on my rewatch list as the other dramas are by this writer. 

Archived