[Drama 2019] Haechi, 해치

0ly40

SBS is so annoying!  They have an English channel on YT with clips from their dramas but it's not available in my country. Huh??? :huh:

Anyway,  if anyone's interested,  the preview for the final episode is already up on YT. (whoa. Record-breaking for SBS as far as uploads go.)  

Watch at your own risk,  is all I can say.  :mellow:

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wont get around to watching the actual episodes until later this week but...

Spoiler

I saw the teaser and AHHH go ara threw herself in the way to save jung ilwoo- possibly the death we were dreading/predicting??

I'm conflicted as to whether go ara will really die, mostly because of the teaser title- if she were to really die, it feels a bit spoilerish to say "go ara chooses death?" in the title. It feels kind of like a teaser title that dramas torment the viewers with until the episode actually airs, where the character survives at the end. Maybe hopeful thinking on my part. Because if they are going to really have her die, I would've used a more vague title for the teaser, like "what will be go ara's fate?" or something.  

Writer-nim, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not rip YG's heart to million pieces... how can he live with the fact that the one he loves so dearly and wants to protect, gives her life to protect him? :tears:     NO NO NO :blink: ..  Please let that just be a teaser.. YJ will live ... 

On 4/28/2019 at 8:45 PM, akhenaten said:

I hope Jung Il Woo and Go Ara work together again in the future. Maybe on an art film project coz that often gives more freedom in terms of acting. The thing with mainstream network dramas is that there are often a lot of restrictions,  acting-wise. I would love to see them in a film similar to "Lost In Translation" or "Me Before You".  Both were heartbreaking but beautiful. :rolleyes:

Jung Il Woo is a talented actor and I'm sure if he keeps partnering with brilliant directors and writers,  he will become even better and may turn out to be one of the industry's best actors. He can act in a very understated way and yet still manage to convey a lot of complex emotions. 

Go Ara,  on the other hand,  is more of a work in progress. I think in the hands of a good director,  she can do so much more. Her role as Yeo Ji was suited to her because she seems to be better at strong female character types than candy heroines. It was just too bad that she got injured midway into the drama. I can only imagine how Yeo Ji's character might have developed if Ara were healthy.  But I do like her and I'd love to see her in more projects,  working with excellent directors and writers and partnering with good actors. 

Unlike others,  I do think Il Woo and Ara had chemistry as Yeoning and Yeo Ji.  It's just's that there were times when I felt that Il Woo was pushing all the emotions forward but Ara was not reciprocating. But I think this might have a lot to do with the acting directions that were given. Yeo Ji's obliviousness was dragged on for far too long so that Yeoning was made to shuffle his feet from holding back his feelings. But then,  they were probably planning on more scenes with her and Yeoning during those episodes when Ara was sidelined that would have developed their relationship more. I'm sure that kiss would have come a lot sooner. 

Nothing we can do about that now. We're down to the last two episodes. I hope the writer and director will give us an ending worthy of the way they developed Yeoning's story so far. :)

This was my first series with him and I'm NOT disappointed. His portrayal as Yeoning and eventually King Yeongjo and the path to seeking not only himself but sort of, the truth of the kingdom is really brilliantly played and acted. I felt almost every heartbreak and every single opposition from Norons and Sorons and now the Namins. I agree that Go Ara's character was likely changed as we see now because of her injury; she had such a great run as Yeo Ji as the female investigator but turned court lady. The kiss would have definitely come a LOT sooner if Ara was healthy, but I'm glad it turned out the way it did, honestly. I actually stuck around because of the politics and I'm glad they gave us so much of that in there. I actually barely noticed that Ara was gone, truthfully... I was so involved and absorbed by the character development, I forgot about Yeo Ji... (In those 6 episodes.)

I definitely also agree that Yeo Ji's obliviousness made Yeongjo hold his feelings back. I mean, poor guy had Yeo Ji ask him if he wanted to fight her... Meanwhile he wanted to kiss her... In that kiss scene, I feel like JIW was doing his best to portray the true emotions of Yeongjo at that spur of the moment, but I didn't feel like from Go Ara for some reason - not sure if that was the preset of their characters either. Either way, I was very happy with the way that JIW decided to take it. But it's true that many times Go Ara didn't reciprocate in the manner that I thought she would.

Many times when JIW cried or shed tears, I would too. I kind of felt like I was there listening to the ministers knock his proposal down. His ability to kill complex emotions is a big factor for me that made me stay also, especially during the scene when Yeoning cut his hand to feed blood to try and resurrect his brother. He made me cry. I look forward to his projects in the future because I am most definitely tuning in now.

14 hours ago, akhenaten said:

But I don't understand a thing!  Though I think Yeongjo is standing firm against the violent opposition of some of the Soron and Noron officials over the appointments of the Namins. Minister Min and Chief Justice Ko are talking to their respective party members now. 

Minister Min and Yeongjo conversations are just my cup of tea. :rolleyes:

He is most definitely standing firm against the oppositions. He's appointing Namins (as he promised) and I think it will aim to even out the power of Norons and Sorons. I'm actually pretty glad that Min Jin Heon is on Yeongjo's side. When he supported him and told him the definition of politics, explaining to him why he helped Yeongjo really made me emotional. Even as Min noted that he has to step out and take a step back in order to move forward, it was such a wise statement on the Minister's part. As someone who studied politics in university, it brightened me to hear that in a drama. I think we always see Ministers in dramas opposing the King but here, through so many hardships, the Ministers are finally.supporting him. I'm so happy.

EDIT: I hope they don't kill Yeo Ji, but I would understand if they do since she never existed... But now that they are "together," why can't anyone let Yeongjo be happy for once?

Hello @xprosperity you know what I think? If Go Ara weren't injured,  it's possible that they could have included this actual part of Yeongjo's history when Mil Poong tried to assassinate him during a fox hunt. Yeo Ji could have possibly joined Yeongjo's hunting party secretly and help protect him. Although she will be endangered and Yeongjo will go crazy over her disregard for her own life just for his sake. 

Or even if she did become a court lady,  it will only be a front for her true intentions,  which is to guard and protect him. And it would have been a constant source of disagreement between her and Yeongjo because,  like he said,  with her he is a man first and he will protect her as a man.  It would have been nice to see a reversal of roles,  in which the one being protected is the prince,  and the protector is the damsel. 

Oh well. They're just wishful thinking now. :mellow:

8 hours ago, xprosperity said:

In that kiss scene, I feel like JIW was doing his best to portray the true emotions of Yeongjo at that spur of the moment, but I didn't feel like from Go Ara for some reason - not sure if that was the preset of their characters either. Either way, I was very happy with the way that JIW decided to take it. But it's true that many times Go Ara didn't reciprocate in the manner that I thought she would.

What's wrong with the kiss? I can say it's Ara's best kiss scene so far. LOL. And when you say she didn't reciprocate, I think she does it by character. Yeoji is supposed to have less emotions, after all. If you will take a closer observation, the main characters have opposite personalities. Yeongjo is too emotional, Yeoji is the opposite, Dal Moon is serious, and Moon Su tend to be funny. 

I only got to stream the last 15 minutes or so but...it was beautiful!  :wub:

Though I'm not sure how I can reconcile that with history.  There were notes on the last screen when they showed King Yeongjo's smiling face but I'm not sure what it is.  Hopefully, the subtitles will translate those notes though they're probably referring to how long he reigned as king.

I can't wait for the subs to come out!  :rolleyes:

I will miss this drama. Thanks to all of you, chingus, for sharing your thoughts about Haechi and for the history pointers too. 

Spoiler

Yay, it's a happy ending. Well... an open ended, but still good to my heart. 

Big hats off to the director, writer(yes, I love you again kim yi young), the production crew, and actors- so good, all of them. 

Thanks for following this drama guys! It was fun hearing everyone's thoughts. Can't wait to catch up with the last two episodes once I'm done with my exams, haha. Hopefully broadcast stations will keep producing more non-fluff sageuks! 

I was hesitant to start Haechi bcos i have always avoided Sageuk. But the cast drew me in, especially after their appearance in Runningman. I'm so glad i watched. Love everything about the show, even character portrayal of the "villains" are so layered.

This is also like the first time i see the Court officials actually seriously working things thru with the king... i remember i was often put off by court officials in other dramas who were just "pure evil" and all i see them do was to shout "Cheon ah! Cheon ah!" during court sessions.

thank you PDnim & Writer-nim for really just teasing us. I was preparing myself for the heartbreak in the end and got a sweet pleasant surprise.

Love this show, the characters and the cast so much :wub::heart:

watching Haechi made me search and read up on the king in history. This king is really amazing, and so well portrayed by JIW. 

Thanks everyone on this thread... Heachi made me interested in sageuk ... thinking of starting nokdu flower. anyone tried already?

Here's the final ratings...

Thanks, chingu-deuls, for sharing all of your insights here. There's not that many of us who watched this drama but I am glad you are one of those who appreciate how brilliant this drama is. People are missing out on this! Enjoyed reading all of your thoughts :D

I've been lurking in the 'Abyss' drama forum as well so to those of you who will be watching that as well, see you there! :kiss_wink:

Archived