[Drama 2019] Haechi, 해치

0ly40

When I first watched Haechi, I thought I really enjoyed the first half of it. Cute and funny.  Sometimes sad. 

But going into episodes 21 - 22, with the story arc of those children being sold to Qing and that young girl who murdered the nobles (great acting by the way! I hope that girl returns in the story.  The actress who played her also had such great chemistry with Jung Il Woo and their scene when he asked her why she did what she did just broke my heart. :tears:) , I became more emotionally invested in the story.  It was just so intense!  But the intensity kept mounting going into episodes 23 - 24.  And now with episode s 29-30...and going into 31-32...my heart just races with almost every scene.

I miss the budding romance aspect of Haechi, but I must stay I love, love, love seeing Yeoning transforming into the man who who would be king.  :)

(I hope when Go A Ra returns and Yeoning's courtship of Yeo Ji resumes, the writer and PD will give their relationship the same intensity as the rest of the story.:rolleyes:)

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@hahanzyy

History lesson

Contrary to what we seen on this drama regarding Seo ssi, Yi Geum's principal wife, presently Crown Princess (based on Queen Jeongseong)

It is said that Yeongjo made constant visit when Queen Jeongseong was ill, when she became seriously ill, Yeongjo wrote a memoir about Queen Jeongseong titled “大王大妃行状” of the remembrance of their memories, cherish hope & dreams that he had the greatest hope that they were to grow old & grey together in which Yeongjo continues to live his life until he was in his 80s.

Crown Prince Sado mourns in grief for the lost of Queen Jeongseong. He wrote many articles of poetry for her condolences in her funeral oration which was collect in “凌虚关漫稿”

Queen Jeongseong was buried in Hongneung 弘陵. She was given the title Queen Jeongseong in 1759

seems like the Queen was a great lady in her time. unfortunately the drama didn't really portray her in a good light . 

Just wanted to sing my praises to the awesome cast once again:

Jung moon sung is so great. Seriously, he's so versatile, so underrated- get this man a nomination at baeksang for best supporting actor. Anyways, it's thoroughly infuriating and enjoyable to watch him as milpoong. The veteran sageuk actors, lead and supporting, are wonderful to watch as always. Bravo to them as well. And of course, it's been thoroughly satisfying to see jung il woo in a great drama and completely nail it. I've had the pleasure of  discovering kwon yul and park hoon here (haven't seen them in voice 2 or memories of Alhambra, respectively, which they were much praised in), and they're good, period. Even go ara, who, quite frankly is the weak link here acting-wise(no shame in that, everyone else is really, really good), shows probably her best performance since reply '94 and has a great character here. On that note, complete hats off to kim yi young, who has given us another fabulous sageuk after yi san. When she gets it right, she absolutely is a master at that enjoyable fiction+history combo and is notably strong at creating memorable characters, both main and supporting. And kudos to Lee yong suk as well, he's pretty awesome and the dismal script of the great seer did not do him(or the actors...) justice, so nice to see him helm a solid sageuk after iljimae. 

I know we still have 4 weeks' worth of episodes left, but I have confidence that they'll finish strong. And I hope the cast and crew know how much the viewers appreciate this drama, despite the ratings(to which I flip the bird). 

Episode 16

History lesson 

Prince Milpunggun is carted away to his exile under Wi Ri An Chi (위리안치,圍籬安置) awaiting to commute death sentence at a later date

The punishment " Wi Ri An Chi" (위리안치,圍籬安置, literally means enclose i.e. offender in a thorny hedge) which is an exile to a confine quarters with thorny fencing & under guards surveillance, the offender or banisher is closely guarded at all times

32806396533_93e241c78e_n.jpg

32777780214_c8b622929e_n.jpg

Have you guys seen the video for the latest OST?  I can't find the english translation yet but I tried to google-translate it and it looks like the lyrics are sad.  And the video is about Yeoning and Yeo Ji.  Coupled with the lyrics of the first OST "Love To Death", it looks like this couple will have a tragic ending.  I already expect it coz Yeoning was a real person and there wasn't any Yeo Ji in his life, unless her character was based on someone he knew. But it still makes me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoDqlMCLqak

15 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Have you guys seen the video for the latest OST?  I can't find the english translation yet but I tried to google-translate it and it looks like the lyrics are sad.  And the video is about Yeoning and Yeo Ji.  Coupled with the lyrics of the first OST "Love To Death", it looks like this couple will have a tragic ending.  I already expect it coz Yeoning was a real person and there wasn't any Yeo Ji in his life, unless her character was based on someone he knew. But it still makes me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoDqlMCLqak

check it out the lyrics  - 

https://popgasa.com/2019/04/03/jeon-woo-sung-the-wind-tells-us-바람이-전하는-이야기-haechi-ost-part-2/

story of the wind - like yeoning said in the episode 12

Haechi2526-00334.jpg

I have notice & hear that contrary to her character description in the website that her name is Cheon Yun Yeong but in the drama, they have address her by name in various occasion as Chae Yun Yeong. 

I notice the first time that when Dal Mun call her Bok Dan, she correct him that she is now Chae Yun Yeong

On 4/2/2019 at 11:59 PM, hahanzyy said:

seems like the Queen was a great lady in her time. unfortunately the drama didn't really portray her in a good light . 

If she was portrayed as a good person, viewers would think less of Yeoning and Yeo Ji as a couple.  I like the story the way it is.  To me, there's no need to add in the love angle. Plenty going on with the political scene. 

2 hours ago, azahaziz said:

check it out the lyrics  - 

https://popgasa.com/2019/04/03/jeon-woo-sung-the-wind-tells-us-바람이-전하는-이야기-haechi-ost-part-2/

story of the wind - like yeoning said in the episode 13

@azahaziz  ohhhhh no... It is a sad song.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised,  given that Yeoning was a real person and Yeo Ji is fictional and the drama really can't veer too far away from reality. :tears:

All the more that I want to see Yeoning and Yeo Ji's interactions now.  And I hope the writer gives depth to their scenes together.  I want to see them have conversations in between the chaos and the politics. I want them to share sweet, quiet moments together,  where they can be themselves. Give me a passionate embrace or two before it all ends.  In other words,  I want the drama to show me how and why they fall in love,  and not just have it dropped in the story that they are. 

14 minutes ago, O said:

If she was portrayed as a good person, viewers would think less of Yeoning and Yeo Ji as a couple.  I like the story the way it is.  To me, there's no need to add in the love angle. Plenty going on with the political scene. 

I don't think it would have affected the love angle of Yeoning and Yeo Ji much if Lady Seo was portrayed positively. From what I've read, although she had a good relationship with her in-laws,  her relationship with Yeoninh wasn't as good. That's very possible,  to have good relations with your in-laws but not with your spouse. 

1 hour ago, akhenaten said:

All the more that I want to see Yeoning and Yeo Ji's interactions now.  And I hope the writer gives depth to their scenes together.  I want to see them have conversations in between the chaos and the politics. I want them to share sweet, quiet moments together,  where they can be themselves. Give me a passionate embrace or two before it all ends.  In other words,  I want the drama to show me how and why they fall in love,  and not just have it dropped in the story that they are. 

I feel exactly the way you do..

Actually i became the fan of Go Ara since her drama You're all surrounded and keep watching her new drama.. 

I just finished ep 29-32. And i totally did not understand why the prime minister and the other official (sorry don't remember his title) was suddenly prosecuted for treason  committed when the king was still crown prince. 

Like i don't remember the other official committing treason then. He was appointed by the then-king to support Prince Yeoning isn't it? 

The only conclusion i came to was that the writer made them prosecuted for no obvious reason so that she could make her point that choosing politics means choosing to risk your life. (Something along those lines said during a scene where they were speaking with the Soron head, which by the way was q cool, but to me way cooler if they explained what exactly were their crimes, or lack thereof.)

So anyone can enlighten me what treason did they truly comit? 

@ShaNana, I’m not positive, but in an earlier episode, the other official admitted to plotting treason at another time in the past, but gave up the idea because something happened.  So I don’t know if that’s why?  I hear you, some things are very confusing.  But it’s all about how people/politicians interpret things.  I’m guessing that the messages being conveyed is like how you think, that it’s all about the choices you make in life.  This was pointed out in the scene with Park Moon Su and Wi Byung Gi.....PMS pointed out to WBG that if he had chosen to live his life cleanly, he would not be in this situation.  The thirst for power or fame sometimes leads people on the wrong path, and this is clearly illustrated in this drama.

Regarding Prince Mil Poong, he is portrayed as a very evil character.  His expression after killing the guard, and rubbing his face right after with his blood, really creeped me out.  He is ruthless and evil to the core!!! The part that bothers me the most is that he killed so many people, yet got away with it, even if they knew.  He was never arrested for any of those deaths, including the death of Yi Hwon.  And now it seems that he is responsible for poisoning the King.  Ugh!

10 hours ago, auntyem said:

@ShaNana, I’m not positive, but in an earlier episode, the other official admitted to plotting treason at another time in the past, but gave up the idea because something happened.  So I don’t know if that’s why?  I hear you, some things are very confusing.  But it’s all about how people/politicians interpret things.  I’m guessing that the messages being conveyed is like how you think, that it’s all about the choices you make in life.  This was pointed out in the scene with Park Moon Su and Wi Byung Gi.....PMS pointed out to WBG that if he had chosen to live his life cleanly, he would not be in this situation.  The thirst for power or fame sometimes leads people on the wrong path, and this is clearly illustrated in this drama.

Regarding Prince Mil Poong, he is portrayed as a very evil character.  His expression after killing the guard, and rubbing his face right after with his blood, really creeped me out.  He is ruthless and evil to the core!!! The part that bothers me the most is that he killed so many people, yet got away with it, even if they knew.  He was never arrested for any of those deaths, including the death of Yi Hwon.  And now it seems that he is responsible for poisoning the King.  Ugh!

@auntyem @ShaNana maybe someone overheard them discussing King Sukjong's personal wish to make Prince Yeoning the next king. Then,  as is usual with court intrigue,  it was twisted and brought out at the right time to bring them down,  with the hopes of dragging Yeoning down with them. Unfortunately,  their opponents only succeeded in bringing these two ministers and their families down,  but not the main object,  which was Yeoning. 

As for Prince Mil Poong,  Yi Tan, literally getting away with murder,  isn't that one of the main sources of complaints from the people and something Yeoning himself highlighted early on in the drama,  i.e. inequality of the country's justice system,  where nobles and royals can get away with pretty much anything because of their positions,  while the poor and common folk are punished cruelly even for a very slight mistake? 

I would think that's why Yeoning wants to take him down personally,  not just because he wants to avenge Yi Hwon's death,  but because he knows Mil Poong stands for those injustices that he himself wants to correct. :)

Archived