Quantcast
0ly40

[Current Drama 2019] Haechi, 해치 - Mon & Tue @ 22:00 KST

I cannot comment yet about eps 21-24 since I still don't have the time, but I am just glad that more people decided to join here and talk about this drama. I was quite sad at first because I only see the same names commenting on this and having discussions with, so I'm delighted to see new names :D. And my greetings may be late, but hello to y'all, chingus :kiss_wink:.

But if I may just comment regarding those who doesn't feel the chemistry bw YN and YJ, I won't disagree with you because we all have different perceptions. But I was very open from the beginning that I am team "YeoYeo" ^^. Cannot really explain it in details (blame English as a second language^^), but I know there wasn't much heart-pounding moments that we usually feel, however idk, I think it's just refreshing for me to see this type of a romance once again, this FL-who-is-oblivous-to-ML's-feelings and ML-who-doesn't-just-come-outright-and-confess-his-feelings-so-the-FL-will-understand. It's more of like a first-love concept. And Il Woo and Go Ara are doing a wonderful job in portraying that. So I do not think it's forced because we have seen the slow buildup of their relationship. We are halfway through and it is still sooo slooow. But that's just my opinion :D..so.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

Ep 12 is a bit slower than 11, but it s still good.

Now YN has the support of Soron, but in history, Noron would support him. Thus i do not know how the drama would address this.

Regarding YN and YJ's relationship, i think that YJ has a strong feeling for YN. However she has not recognized that feeling as love.

YJ told YN that "she would go to the palace and protect him." We usually hear it from ML to FL and not another way around. It s very refreshing and interesting. Also, it can be YJ's fate at the end. She would die in protecting him.

YJ, MS and YN treasure their relationship. Thus, i do not think one of them would do any thing to change the current status unless they are sure about other's feeling.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

You're not alone chingu. I like this kind of romance. First reason is that this drama is a saguk one. The second, YN is the Crown Prince. He really knows where their (he and YJ) road ends. YJ is not fool too. She says, "I thought that you have feeling for me, but it's imposible". I think she hopes but deep down, she understands that it can't be. I like the way she's straightforward in this conversation. So, because I'm not a fan of passionate romance with tears and all, ML and FL always are immersed in loves and do nothing else, I'm at YeoYeo side.

These lines are so good: "What if I'm a man before I'm a Crown Prince?" and "I like facing the same wind with you, even if you don't feel the same way I do".
And this is a symbol of feminism "I'm a female inspector before I'm a woman". Wow. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

Anyoung Chingus! It has been a while since I have been part of any thread :ph34r:.

I rarely watch Sageuks, but I am thoroughly enjoying Haechi! It is disappointing that the ratings are "low", however I think this drama is a great come back for Jung Il Woo. His last few projects had not been so great :mellow: (at least in my opinion)  however he has been outstanding here. I keep on admiring his stature when he is wearing those robes, he certainly commands a presence :D

I feel like the drama does a good job of allowing each and every character to be in the "spotlight". I enjoy how the show does not just place importance on just Yi Geum, and his ascension to the throne, but also gives credit to those around, good and bad, who helped him on this journey. I am no Korean-history buff, so I do not know how much of this reaslt happened, but purely from a drama point of view it is quite satisfying to watch.

I know Go Ara receives a lot of criticism for acting, whichever drama she acts in. I am not her greatest fan, but I always enjoy watching her. Even in Haechi she has short comings, however I do not think any other actress would be as convincing as a Damo (except for Ha Ji Won :D). 

Kwon Yul, how refreshing to see a more comical side to him :). Although I will be honest, his screaming has left me a bit frazzled :lol:, everytime I see his face turn red and veins popping. However his acting abilities were most poignant in those scenes where he comes almost "interrupted" Yi Geum and Yeo Ji and when he wonders about their relationship. It is very hard to read what he is thinking; is it concern, sadness, I guess we will find out soon enough!

Park Hoon, this is only the second drama I am seeing him in, why does he always have to be a tragic lover? :sweatingbullets: I hope he comes to his senses soon, before it's too late.

The main reason I wanted to be on the thread was to comment on Yeo Ji and Yi Geum's relationship. I am also, like some of you, enjoying it and I find it quite apt! 

Here is a "guy" who is in a loveless marriage, and as dictated by his position and the customs of the time, has to see and do things from a practical point of view. Like for instance when he explains to Yeo Ji about what a court lady would be expected to do. There was never a question of emotion or feeling. It's a pity we have not seen much interaction between him and his wife, but I guess this is a case of "the lesser said, the better". It would probably have made more sense for him to have fallen for Cho Hong, considering he actually confides in her. However even Cho Hong treats him as per his position, she aspires to "serve him". 

Yeo Ji on the other hand, is someone, so unlike what he is used to. She aspires to help him and "protect him". I am not surprised by her naivety. From what we have seen thus far, she has no female acquaintances, she is pretty much one of the guys and her profession does not allow much indulgence in being feminine. When Yi Geum held her hands, it definitely set her heart-a-flutter. However, unfortunately for her, she is surrounded by people who know no better! :rolleyes: It was quite sweet how she asked Yi Geum if he did not find her capable enough, and he responds with, you are more than capable!

As much as I do not want her to be a palace maid, however I hope it well help her discover herself, she seems so caught up in fighting justice and all, that I don't ever think she has ever stopped and breathed and felt...

Yi Geum was amused by Yeo Ji at first, however along the way amusement turned to attraction. Yeo Ji was cynical of Yi Geum but along the way cynicism turned to admiration. I am well aware historically there was no such love story, and there is a high chance of tragedy awaiting Yeo Ji, however I do hope something develops between these two characters :wub:

• Like 6
  • Love 6

7 hours ago, oceluna said:
You're not alone chingu. I like this kind of romance. First reason is that this drama is a saguk one. The second, YN is the Crown Prince. He really knows where their (he and YJ) road ends. YJ is not fool too. She says, "I thought that you have feeling for me, but it's imposible". I think she hopes but deep down, she understands that it can't be. I like the way she's straightforward in this conversation. So, because I'm not a fan of passionate romance with tears and all, ML and FL always are immersed in loves and do nothing else, I'm at YeoYeo side.

These lines are so good: "What if I'm a man before I'm a Crown Prince?" and "I like facing the same wind with you, even if you don't feel the same way I do".
And this is a symbol of feminism "I'm a female inspector before I'm a woman". Wow. 

Really.. For me its kinda beautiful to see some affection of love like this.. And yes, crown prince yeoning is such a gentle here.. He didnt rush his feeling towards yeoji, instead he is like let his heart growing together with her and give her some room to do things on her own. And on yeoji's side.. Though sometimes it feels annoying how clueless a girl could be ^o^ (plus she ask the wrong person ah bong :D) she aware about her position related to YN.. So its really smooth progress beetwen these two..

And the other romance here is about DM and MP's woman, right? So she is DM's past love? 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

@lexicon agree with you :) haechi is satisfiying to watch even maybe for me as a not korean people who not knows a lot about history is kinda hard to understand. Every plot scenes are worth to watch.

And yes how great those actors immerse their own characters!! Il Woo really has a good act as crown prince (soon to be king of joseon) it fit him well!

For go ara, her acting usually got some critics because her poker face? But dont know why i do love every drama she was in.. <3 

Kwon yul is no doubt is a great actor. He could express his character really all out.. his face, his mimic show it all.. 

But dont you notice in real life kwon yul is a quiet person? Compare to his character as MS :D

The same goes to Ara.. In real life Ara is really cheerfull girl compare to YJ character who always seems serious and stiff XD

• Like 4
  • Love 3

I must say that, after episodes 11 and 12 (21 to 24), I am utterly convinced that this drama might very well be a highly-underrated masterpiece, with unexpectedly brilliant actors in its cast.  

From the time episode 11 began until the end of episode 12, I was going through a rollercoaster of emotions.  I was anxious for Yeoning when Min Jin Hun barged into the court with the young girl, but then my heart soared when he courageously stood his ground and covered the girl with his robe.  I felt for the girl and even felt as genuinely grateful to him as she was.  And I felt very proud of him when the people started to see in him the qualities that his father, King Sukjong, saw:  the kind that would make him a great king for Joseon.  

Of course, I also loved the moments between him and Yeo Ji, but I found them quite sad, especially when taken in the context of what's happening around them.  Yeoning, to me, looks at Yeo Ji as someone he's already lost.  It's like at the back of his mind, he knows that what he feels for Yeo Ji is just a wonderful dream that will never be. 

I'm a bit uneasy over Moon Soo's expression when he came upon them in that very intimate moment.  I'm not sure if he's jealous or worried.  I hope the writer and director don't go into the common second-male-lead-suddenly-falling-in-love-with-the-female-lead trope here.  I want Moon Soo to be the brother who's concerned over the emotional well-being of his big brother Yeoning and his little sister Yeo Ji.  For a change, I don't want him to suddenly see Yeo Ji as a woman and suddenly grow romantic feelings for her, just because he saw that Yeoning is in love with her.    I love Moon Soo and Yeo Ji's relationship as it is, and I think Yeo Ji needs him that way, as someone who cares deeply for her without any other motivation.  Someone she can lean on, because I don't see anything between her and Yeoning ending happily.

May I just give a special shoutout to Jung Il Woo, Jung Moon Sung, Park Hoon and Lee Kyoung Young in these last two episodes.  They were just so good!  I was so immersed in their acting that their real-life personas just disappeared.  Jung Il Woo looked really haggard and stressed and conflicted, as how Yeoning should be in these moments.   Jung Moon Sung is batshit insane and the way his eyes glint maniacally is just so real.  Park Hoon has suddenly become fragile and vulnerable.  And Lee Kyoung Young is just so terrifying and disgusting as a man who is utterly convinced of the superiority and righteousness of his position and his power.

I hope this drama continues to develop its characters well and tell a great story until its end.  Please don't drop the ball, writer-nim and PD-nim.  The viewers of Haechi are looking forward to great things from you.  :)   

• Like 8
  • Love 2

On 3/20/2019 at 8:33 PM, gerrytan8063 said:

Yi San is a drama of 77 episodes. Yi San's love interest Seong Seon Yeon is based on a historical figure, Royal Noble Consort Uibin of Changnyeong Seong clan & mother of Crown Prince Munhyo, so you have history "spoiler alert". It is the same applies to "Dong Yi" as you sort of know where it is leading to in history timeline.

Thanks @gerrytan8063 :) Now I know, Yi San's love story is based in history just like Dong Yi. So maybe Yeoji's end will not be tragic. Tho I have no idea about Horse Doctor's story.

It's ok if YN and YJ will not end like YeoYeo shippers want, but I'm hoping it won't lead to her death. I am not worrying about YN or MS because they are based in real figures. But YJ? There's possibility. But well, also depends on the execution of the story. I'll stop asking and just trust the writer. Lol. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Few said:

And the other romance here is about DM and MP's woman, right? So she is DM's past love? 

Theirs is also quite interesting.

btw, after watching the latest episodes, I find the plot never cease to impress. Just want to point out some development on our lead characters:

1. Prince YN: from powerless prince to crown prince

2. Park Moon Soo - from aspiring civil examiner to Saheonbu inspector

3. Dal Moon - from mysterious and backgroundless street guy to YN's trusted man and Milpoong's target to be an ally. 

4. Cheon Yeo-Ji - Saheonbu damo/lady inspector "human weapon" to YN's love interest and "wanna-be-protector"

And why do I feel YJ's role is moving backwards? I am seeking for her deeper connection to the plot, but while Park Moon Soo and DM's story develops, hers is becoming just a love interest who wants to protect the prince. Seems like her character is left behind. And then Ara will be out for 6 episodes... what will happen to YJ's character? 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, yoo1 said:

And why do I feel YJ's role is moving backwards? I am seeking for her deeper connection to the plot, but while Park Moon Soo and DM's story develops, hers is becoming just a love interest who wants to protect the prince. Seems like her character is left behind. And then Ara will be out for 6 episodes... what will happen to YJ's character? 

I feel the same too.. YJ's character n stories now just seems play around in romance thing beetwen her n YN.. Is it perhaps because ara's injury that her role is like postpone for a while? So its kinda make her slowly one step behind? Oh.. I miss yeoji's action as saheonbo together with the others...

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Just watched episode 17 and 18..because my working say my name a lot... Lol.. So its time after one month my hero become crown prince.. I love the scripwriter show the struggle of all characters especially mun so.. This episode I want more politics more than love line.. Its unique of Haechi drama and need to be consistent.. 

• Like 4

Hi @Few.  i surely hope not. I think Yeo Ji's character is an interesting one to explore. She's a woman doing a man's work in the highly discriminatory society of Joseon,  yet she excels in it and is well-respected among her peers. I wonder how she became the way she is,  what her family circumstances were. Was she the daughter of a former Saheonbu inspector as well,  perhaps the mentor of her own mentor,  Han Jung-seok? Was her family killed during the height of the slave movement to murder their yangban masters? Is she truly lowborn or could she be the orphaned daughter of a noble family who found themselves on the wrong side of politics? 

Yeo Ji seems very well-educated for a woman,  much less a woman from the common folk. It's surprising enough that she can read and write in their language but she's also fluent in two other languages. She can't be just an ordinary woman. 

I hope the drama manages to squeeze in her background story between now and the end. I don't how it'll be managed,  though,  given that Go A Ra is sidelined for the next 6 episodes. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

11 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Hi @Few.  i surely hope not. I think Yeo Ji's character is an interesting one to explore. She's a woman doing a man's work in the highly discriminatory society of Joseon,  yet she excels in it and is well-respected among her peers. I wonder how she became the way she is,  what her family circumstances were. Was she the daughter of a former Saheonbu inspector as well,  perhaps the mentor of her own mentor,  Han Jung-seok? Was her family killed during the height of the slave movement to murder their yangban masters? Is she truly lowborn or could she be the orphaned daughter of a noble family who found themselves on the wrong side of politics? 

Yeo Ji seems very well-educated for a woman,  much less a woman from the common folk. It's surprising enough that she can read and write in their language but she's also fluent in two other languages. She can't be just an ordinary woman. 

I hope the drama manages to squeeze in her background story between now and the end. I don't how it'll be managed,  though,  given that Go A Ra is sidelined for the next 6 episodes. 

Ahhh.. Couldnt more agree than this!! <3 yes.. Deep inside i feel that she just cant only be an ordinary woman. Though her character is just a fiction compare other based on true history, but i know it shouldnt be place her just to be the sweetener scene, right? Cause with such a great crown prince soon king to be, Yeoning, whatever the plot story written, it would be something meaningful, with all of the peoples surrounding him. Include in yeoji in this drama. 

As for yeoji's background, im also wondering where is she came from, what family history she has that make her such a strong independent woman with many quality skill like that. Since on DalMon we start to know a little about his past with MP's woman. Hope as the episode goes by, it all be shown up.

Just for now, dont know what will happen next episode.. Cant even imagine or guess it >o<

• Like 6
  • Love 1

@Few @akhenaten Hope they'll show more of YJ background. Her memories of living with low born/slaves were the only ones we know. Maybe the writer will surprise us. *fingers crossed*

Haechi has a very thrilling start, with interesting characters on board, so it deserves an end with an impact that will stay in everyone's heart. 

• Like 7

I'm surprised that there's very little mention of this drama online.  Although it's being recapped at Dramabeans, there are very few comments and reactions, especially for the recent episodes.  Considering that this is Jung Il Woo's comeback drama and he seems to be quite popular, I find it quite strange.  I would have expected a lot of reactions, especially after episodes 21 to 24.  These were powerful episodes and Yeoning's character had to go through so much.  I felt that Jung Il Woo's acting (as well as the other actors) were just brilliant during these last 4 chapters of the drama.  And to think a lot of fans remember Jung Il Woo as a skillful comedic actor, or a teenager in his earlier dramas, you would think they would have watched this and reacted because in all honesty, even though this is the first time I've ever seen him in anything, there is nothing comedic or shallow about his acting as Yeoning.  

Are they so turned off by Go A Ra?  Granted, she may not be the most skillful actress in KDramaland, but she isn't so bad.  I think she's doing quite well as Yeo Ji, (these kinds of roles seem to suit her better) although there are times when I must admit, that her acting seems to be lacking a bit, mostly in those quiet but highly-charged scenes with Jung Il Woo, which often requires more nuanced acting.  Oftentimes, he was already in the zone with his acting but her expression didn't seem to match the moment or how Yeo Ji should have been reacting to him.  Or maybe Yeo Ji is supposed to be stoic.  But I don't think that's enough reason for people not to watch.  The story overall is good and the other actors are simply brilliant in their roles.  

I hope more people watch the next half of the drama.  I think it's going to be more exciting, story-wise, because it will now show Yeoning's fight for the throne.   Hopefully, the next few episodes will also cover the background story of Park Moon-Soo.  Perhaps they can use the episodes without Yeo Ji's character to cover the stories of Moon-Soo and Dal-Moon.  Then they can tackle Yeo Ji's story when Go A Ra comes back.  But I hope this drama will tell the story up until Yeoning becomes king and show us what happens to everyone else after that. :)   

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2