[Drama 2019] Haechi, 해치

0ly40

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/20/2019 at 8:33 PM, gerrytan8063 said:

Yi San is a drama of 77 episodes. Yi San's love interest Seong Seon Yeon is based on a historical figure, Royal Noble Consort Uibin of Changnyeong Seong clan & mother of Crown Prince Munhyo, so you have history "spoiler alert". It is the same applies to "Dong Yi" as you sort of know where it is leading to in history timeline.

Thanks @gerrytan8063 :) Now I know, Yi San's love story is based in history just like Dong Yi. So maybe Yeoji's end will not be tragic. Tho I have no idea about Horse Doctor's story.

It's ok if YN and YJ will not end like YeoYeo shippers want, but I'm hoping it won't lead to her death. I am not worrying about YN or MS because they are based in real figures. But YJ? There's possibility. But well, also depends on the execution of the story. I'll stop asking and just trust the writer. Lol. 

15 hours ago, Few said:

And the other romance here is about DM and MP's woman, right? So she is DM's past love? 

Theirs is also quite interesting.

btw, after watching the latest episodes, I find the plot never cease to impress. Just want to point out some development on our lead characters:

1. Prince YN: from powerless prince to crown prince

2. Park Moon Soo - from aspiring civil examiner to Saheonbu inspector

3. Dal Moon - from mysterious and backgroundless street guy to YN's trusted man and Milpoong's target to be an ally. 

4. Cheon Yeo-Ji - Saheonbu damo/lady inspector "human weapon" to YN's love interest and "wanna-be-protector"

And why do I feel YJ's role is moving backwards? I am seeking for her deeper connection to the plot, but while Park Moon Soo and DM's story develops, hers is becoming just a love interest who wants to protect the prince. Seems like her character is left behind. And then Ara will be out for 6 episodes... what will happen to YJ's character? 

2 hours ago, yoo1 said:

And why do I feel YJ's role is moving backwards? I am seeking for her deeper connection to the plot, but while Park Moon Soo and DM's story develops, hers is becoming just a love interest who wants to protect the prince. Seems like her character is left behind. And then Ara will be out for 6 episodes... what will happen to YJ's character? 

I feel the same too.. YJ's character n stories now just seems play around in romance thing beetwen her n YN.. Is it perhaps because ara's injury that her role is like postpone for a while? So its kinda make her slowly one step behind? Oh.. I miss yeoji's action as saheonbo together with the others...

Just watched episode 17 and 18..because my working say my name a lot... Lol.. So its time after one month my hero become crown prince.. I love the scripwriter show the struggle of all characters especially mun so.. This episode I want more politics more than love line.. Its unique of Haechi drama and need to be consistent.. 

Hi @Few.  i surely hope not. I think Yeo Ji's character is an interesting one to explore. She's a woman doing a man's work in the highly discriminatory society of Joseon,  yet she excels in it and is well-respected among her peers. I wonder how she became the way she is,  what her family circumstances were. Was she the daughter of a former Saheonbu inspector as well,  perhaps the mentor of her own mentor,  Han Jung-seok? Was her family killed during the height of the slave movement to murder their yangban masters? Is she truly lowborn or could she be the orphaned daughter of a noble family who found themselves on the wrong side of politics? 

Yeo Ji seems very well-educated for a woman,  much less a woman from the common folk. It's surprising enough that she can read and write in their language but she's also fluent in two other languages. She can't be just an ordinary woman. 

I hope the drama manages to squeeze in her background story between now and the end. I don't how it'll be managed,  though,  given that Go A Ra is sidelined for the next 6 episodes. 

11 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Hi @Few.  i surely hope not. I think Yeo Ji's character is an interesting one to explore. She's a woman doing a man's work in the highly discriminatory society of Joseon,  yet she excels in it and is well-respected among her peers. I wonder how she became the way she is,  what her family circumstances were. Was she the daughter of a former Saheonbu inspector as well,  perhaps the mentor of her own mentor,  Han Jung-seok? Was her family killed during the height of the slave movement to murder their yangban masters? Is she truly lowborn or could she be the orphaned daughter of a noble family who found themselves on the wrong side of politics? 

Yeo Ji seems very well-educated for a woman,  much less a woman from the common folk. It's surprising enough that she can read and write in their language but she's also fluent in two other languages. She can't be just an ordinary woman. 

I hope the drama manages to squeeze in her background story between now and the end. I don't how it'll be managed,  though,  given that Go A Ra is sidelined for the next 6 episodes. 

Ahhh.. Couldnt more agree than this!! <3 yes.. Deep inside i feel that she just cant only be an ordinary woman. Though her character is just a fiction compare other based on true history, but i know it shouldnt be place her just to be the sweetener scene, right? Cause with such a great crown prince soon king to be, Yeoning, whatever the plot story written, it would be something meaningful, with all of the peoples surrounding him. Include in yeoji in this drama. 

As for yeoji's background, im also wondering where is she came from, what family history she has that make her such a strong independent woman with many quality skill like that. Since on DalMon we start to know a little about his past with MP's woman. Hope as the episode goes by, it all be shown up.

Just for now, dont know what will happen next episode.. Cant even imagine or guess it >o<

@Few @akhenaten Hope they'll show more of YJ background. Her memories of living with low born/slaves were the only ones we know. Maybe the writer will surprise us. *fingers crossed*

Haechi has a very thrilling start, with interesting characters on board, so it deserves an end with an impact that will stay in everyone's heart. 

I'm surprised that there's very little mention of this drama online.  Although it's being recapped at Dramabeans, there are very few comments and reactions, especially for the recent episodes.  Considering that this is Jung Il Woo's comeback drama and he seems to be quite popular, I find it quite strange.  I would have expected a lot of reactions, especially after episodes 21 to 24.  These were powerful episodes and Yeoning's character had to go through so much.  I felt that Jung Il Woo's acting (as well as the other actors) were just brilliant during these last 4 chapters of the drama.  And to think a lot of fans remember Jung Il Woo as a skillful comedic actor, or a teenager in his earlier dramas, you would think they would have watched this and reacted because in all honesty, even though this is the first time I've ever seen him in anything, there is nothing comedic or shallow about his acting as Yeoning.  

Are they so turned off by Go A Ra?  Granted, she may not be the most skillful actress in KDramaland, but she isn't so bad.  I think she's doing quite well as Yeo Ji, (these kinds of roles seem to suit her better) although there are times when I must admit, that her acting seems to be lacking a bit, mostly in those quiet but highly-charged scenes with Jung Il Woo, which often requires more nuanced acting.  Oftentimes, he was already in the zone with his acting but her expression didn't seem to match the moment or how Yeo Ji should have been reacting to him.  Or maybe Yeo Ji is supposed to be stoic.  But I don't think that's enough reason for people not to watch.  The story overall is good and the other actors are simply brilliant in their roles.  

I hope more people watch the next half of the drama.  I think it's going to be more exciting, story-wise, because it will now show Yeoning's fight for the throne.   Hopefully, the next few episodes will also cover the background story of Park Moon-Soo.  Perhaps they can use the episodes without Yeo Ji's character to cover the stories of Moon-Soo and Dal-Moon.  Then they can tackle Yeo Ji's story when Go A Ra comes back.  But I hope this drama will tell the story up until Yeoning becomes king and show us what happens to everyone else after that. :)   

2 hours ago, akhenaten said:

I'm surprised that there's very little 

Are they so turned off by Go A Ra?  Granted, she may not be the most skillful actress in KDramaland, but she isn't so bad.  I think she's doing quite well as Yeo Ji, (these kinds of roles seem to suit her better) although there are times when I must admit, that her acting seems to be lacking a bit, mostly in those quiet but highly-charged scenes with Jung Il Woo, which often requires more nuanced acting.  Oftentimes, he was a ready in the zone with his acting but her expression didn't seem to match the moment or how Yeo Ji should have been reacting to him.  Or maybe Yeo Ji is supposed to be stoic.  But I don't think that's enough reason for people not to watch.  The story overall is good and the other actors are simply brilliant in their roles.  

When the trailers of haechi shown up online, i did read a few comment or reaction about how some peoples upset about go ara as female cast :(:(some of them said why it has to be her pair with jung il woo and other actors like kwon yul and park hoon. Seems they not satisfied with go ara's acting before. So yes, it could be one of a reasons haechi is not mention a lot :(:(

I decided to read up on the known facts about King Yeongjo and it does look like his life was constantly threatened.  And his father, King Sukjong, doted on him and so did his stepmother, Queen Inwon.  I hope the drama shows this, even through flashbacks.  It already hinted at that with Yeoning's scenes with King Sukjong.  And there are scenes of Queen Inwon actually showing her partiality for Yeoning.  In history, she adopted him as her own son when he was about nine years old, which means that during the time of this drama, Yeoning is already the son of King Sukjong and Queen Inwon, by blood and by law, and has every right to inherit the throne in the absence of his brother, the crown prince, having his own son and heir.  However, this didn't stop his enemies (those who are of pure noble or royal blood) from questioning his birthright and trying to get rid of him.

And Park Moon-Soo was a real historical figure whom King Yeongjo appointed as a secret government inspector.  Not sure about Prince Mil-poong Yi Tan, although he seems to be based on the only surviving son of Crown Prince Sohyeon, who was said to have been accused of treason and killed by his own father.   

What I find hard to reconcile, though, is the alleged cruelty of Yeongjo towards his son, Crown Prince Sado, which was said to have caused the prince's mental instability. Yeongjo put his own son to death and made his grandson the next heir.  It doesn't seem to jive with what history also said was Yeongjo's kindness, humility and benevolence.

Anyway, I hope the drama allows us to see all those other important incidents in Yeoning's life before he became King Yeongjo, one of Joseon's greatest monarchs.  It would be wonderful.  :)         

EPISODE 21~22

HIGHLIGHTS

~ IDENTITY ~

20190324-213148.png

"I am the King of this country. Responsibilities can only be taken by a person who has the right to do so."

"A wise man should be ashamed of having nothing to be ashamed of. Politics exist to help the poor. They're not meant to give more riches to the rich."

Such a heartbreaking start of the episode :tears:

Haechi-Episode-21-22-1.gif

This bromance is on another level. Friendship, loyalty, respect, you cry for each other, be hurt for each other -_-

Haechi-Episode-21-22-2.gif

The Limp, The Face with Smallpox Scars, and Nine Fingers.

Spoiler

Haechi-Episode-21-22-3.gif

The People.

Spoiler

20190324-213215.png

Yeoning's speech.

Spoiler

20190324-213247.png

I absolutely love this part!

Spoiler

Haechi-Episode-21-22-5.gif

A new geezer coming through ...jeez, now I have another old geezer to remember :D.

Spoiler

20190324-213312.png

The King and the Crown Prince. I love how stubborn the King in his support of Yeoning. I actually don't know if he is actually doing this because he sees the potential Yeoning has or is it also because they are brothers. The bond between them is so special, that I also want to know how the King feels about  Yeoning, not just as his Crown Prince, but as his brother. I know they care about each other, but I also wanna see how depth their relationship as individuals who share the same blood, politics aside.

Spoiler

Haechi-Episode-21-22-4.gif

And that almost moment :wub:

Spoiler

20190324-213110.png

Oh yeah, I'm quite behind on the episodes. Real life is trying to catch up, so :D. This episode is amazing! In terms of Yeoning trying to show who he is as person, to his subjects, not just as a Crown Prince. The first part of the episode is heartbreaking for me, I was such a crybaby because of this episode. Somehow I feel that the issue here is somewhat near and dear to me, I am a very sympathetic person so the issue here is so much true in this messed-up world we all live in. I was actually quite hoping and wishing that someone like Yeoning will show up in this world... lol. I feel what Moon Soo said "You can't do anything with intentions alone."  However, never get tired and persevere.

The support of the King is very admirable. I didn't expect him to actually put his position on the table and actually sacrifice it just to help Yeoning. I still hope that he remains this kind of a King because the road isn't going to be smooth from now on. When I actually thought from the beginning that the King is a coward, but then he's got more backbone than anyone else. I also believe he is a good king. 

About that karma Yi Tan mentioned, did I actually get it wrong, his definition of it is quite different... ha ha. He should realize that the karma will be on him, not the other way around.

And about Yeoji being a court lady, everyone here including me don't think it would be good for her to be in the palace as we believe it might be limiting her potential from the previous conversations. I also thought that Yeoning would be the first person to offer her to be in the palace, but never expected Yeoji would bring it up, and Yeoning rejecting the idea. But as I was thinking, I think it might also be a good idea for Yeoji to be in the palace. My thoughts on that more after I finished Eps. 23-24 :D.

EPISODE 23-24

HIGHLIGHTS

"Women are supposed to be protected by men."

"I like facing the same wind with you."

I just wanna give Ah Bong the same look he gave this episode...:D..

20190325-023457.gif

I know it will eventually result into this but..it's too early yet. Please don't misunderstand, Your Majesty :(

Haechi-Episode-23-24-2.gif

Haechi-Episode-23-24-3.gif

I know Yoon Hyuk is one of the good guys, but seeing him officially join Yeoning is a step up. The more allies Yeoning have, the more people I wish would survive until the end :unsure:.

Spoiler

20190325-023218.png

Huh, so this wench actually has a slight heart <_<.

Spoiler

Haechi-Episode-23-24-6.gif

I miss Yeoji in action...it's been quite a few episodes now -_-

Spoiler

Haechi-Episode-23-24-7.gif

Uri Yeoji too preoccupied because of what happened that apparently she even skipped her meal :wub:

Spoiler

Haechi-Episode-23-24-4.gif

I know, this look from Moon Soo is quite vague....but it could only mean just one thing. 

Spoiler

Haechi-Episode-23-24-1.gif

Haechi-Episode-23-24-8.gif

And we could have gotten a buildup for the romance, if it wasn't for these morons...aigoo-ya :sweatingbullets: I even thought Ah Bong would know better. But, oh, well, it's because he has no idea who the "man" actually is, so he might have been thinking it was just a simple confrontation of Yeoji and a certain man :D.

Haechi-Episode-23-24-9.gif

When Yeoning said, women are supposed to be protected by men, and Yeoji said this...

Spoiler

Haechi-Episode-23-24-10.gif

I was like funnygifsbox-com-2016-06-24-19-40-45.gif..yeah, go girl, tell him! You aren't just a woman. But then when Yeoning said this....

Spoiler

Haechi-Episode-23-24-11.gif

I was funnygifsbox.com_2016-06-14_18-40-07.gif and 08-2.gif ..fine, fine, you win!  funnygifsbox.com_2016-06-23_18-29-13.gif 

Aigoo, can't they just give Yeoning a break? Too many problems arising one at a time, even I feel anxious watching every episode in fear that one of the characters might be in danger. Now, my biggest fear is finally taking its shape. While everything Yeoning does is to ensure everything will be favorable to the King, catching the hearts of the common people, the urge for him to help the King, everything he does will backfire and will be misunderstood by the King. Expressing a desire for the throne, may it be by him or other people, will put him in a bad position which now Mil Poong is taking advantage of. So far, the King has been quite likeable to me, so I hope that that appeal won't actually make him doubt Yeoning. Though, yes, we all know Yeoning wants the throne (and he'll eventually be a king}, but not to the expense of wishing any ill intentions to the King. 

Now, Soron seems to be in support of Yeoning (but in history, it was the Norons, right?..I don't understand why in this drama, it was the Soron}, however enemies are still everywhere. And I don't want to see any betrayal amongst Yeoning's allies. Yes, I'm talking to you, Dal Moon! Please don't disappoint me. Don't let a woman turn you against your principles. You already said that yourself, you have principles. I know you may love her still, but clearly, she is still using you for her own selfish desires. She may also has feelings for you, but she already said it, she's a bad wench, she let her ambitions get the better of her. Associating yourself with her once again will lead you to your doom.

Now, about Moon Soo, I know he's been giving us looks where one might think he is a low-key second lead. However, I believe that since he caught on Yeoning's feelings for Yeoji, he knows it won't be all butterflies and roses between them. And that one or both of them might get hurt in the end. Though I also mentioned before that an ending of Moon Soo and Yeoji is more plausible, if this all goes down according to the history, I am still on YeoYeo ship. I am a sucker sometimes with this kind of romance as long as the lead up to it is well executed. Yes, YN and YJ don't necessarily need to end up together but I wanna see the development where it will be shown how they loved, loves and loving each other, be each other's support and be each other's balance. That's why YJ being a court lady wouldn't be too bad, it doesn't necessarily mean she won't be able to do the things she normally does. While in the palace, she can be by YN's side most of the time and at the same time ensure his safety {and probably we can finally see their romance move once and for all}. I also agree with @akhenaten, their love story is already sad before it even started, YN hasn't even confessed his feelings yet but he knows it's all futile. So just the thought of her being by his side is more than enough..this just tears at my heartstrings :tears:.  The romance develops soooo slowly, while problems strikes concurrently.

I can already feel the emptiness of YJ's absence, even from that preview, she wasn't shown. And I also agree I hope in the episodes she's gone, maybe they could squeeze some background story of our characters, like Moon Soo, for example. And then later of YJ. Her story kind of interests me also because there's so much to explore about her character, and I also don't want to believe she's just there as a love interest. She may not be a historical figure but I hope they give justice to her character.

15 hours ago, akhenaten said:

These were powerful episodes and Yeoning's character had to go through so much.  I felt that Jung Il Woo's acting (as well as the other actors) were just brilliant during these last 4 chapters of the drama.  And to think a lot of fans remember Jung Il Woo as a skillful comedic actor, or a teenager in his earlier dramas, you would think they would have watched this and reacted because in all honesty, even though this is the first time I've ever seen him in anything, there is nothing comedic or shallow about his acting as Yeoning.  

Oh! But I've never seen Jung Il-Woo as comedic or teen actor. He is heartbreaking in Moon Embracing the Sun as well as in 49days. And to tell the truth, his acting is way powerful in there. I guess he is one of those actors who is underrated. His previous dramas where he is the lead were not well received in SK, but internationally, he is popular. 

14 hours ago, Few said:

When the trailers of haechi shown up online, i did read a few comment or reaction about how some peoples upset about go ara as female cast :(:(some of them said why it has to be her pair with jung il woo and other actors like kwon yul and park hoon.

@akhenaten @Few

Those haters are funny. If they don't like her, don't! Do I have to admire them for exerting effort just to talk nonsense about her? To think SBS first announced they offer Go Ara to be the female lead in Haechi while Miss Hammurabi was talk of the town. And then seeing her appear only in the second episode. Now, if the rating fail, those low minded fans blame her? Sorry guys, I can't hide my disappointment. I watched Haechi for Go Ara. And this assumption I can never accept. 

oww! i dont read youtube's comments but i'm surprise she has some haters in this drama.

since it's my first drama with her i'm quiet happy with i'm seeing. in fact, i'm always happy with ppl here and in the dramabeans comments appreciating Yeo-Ji. unfortunately bc of a  injury she'll not be back for 3 eps and my heart broken when i saw no sight of her in the preview. i hope she's recovering well, tho.

i think it must be Jung Il woo hardcore fans. these one are never, ever satisfied with his co-star. they are either too old (ahem Lee Yo won) or have no chemistry at all, too whiney, whatever.

@akhenaten welcome to this thread. i've been quietly reading your posts here. so i'm just gonna say: do watch Return Of Iljimae. for me (and i think for those who admire JIW acting skills) is one of his finest roles. since this one and 49 days he hardly top them. that's why i'm so happy that in Haechi he's showing all his ranges. i've been waiting for a this so long and finally he choose right, let's just hope it continuous.

back to Return of Iljimae, it has a slow pace, but the development of the drama and JIW acting are superb. serious. it's a very underrated sageuk. apologise, i got a little emotional while writing this, haha.

PS: i've been away but not entirely. i'm quietly reading all the thread i just have not much to write.

the drama is still imrpoving and great. the last episodes left with a unease feel. can't wait to tomorrow, tho.

This story of haechi keeps my heart thirsty and races about what will happen next! It really can't imagine any more journey that must be passed by Yeoning to reach the throne. All that forging is what I believe makes a yeoning who has the quality of a king become stronger and shine. No wonder that in the end Yeoning is one of the greatest joseon kings whose names are remembered in history. And the most touching is that he goes through it with people who are sincere and loyal.

For other casual drama fans, haechi stories may indeed feel heavy, boring, especially with the lack of love stories in them. But really this drama is worth watching more!

I don't know what the others are, but here the role of ilwoo as yeoning is enough to make me more than satisfied! He plays the character well! Also the support of other roles cant be aside. 

For his love story that feels slow between yeoji n yeoning, I see it as something very natural. When various problems come to Yeoning, the love he has for Yeoji shows how mature he is. It's not like a burning young love story, but it makes a beautiful picture for me.

GoAra, I am also interested in watching Haechi one of them because of Goara. She may not be the best, but somehow it always makes me curious to watch her drama again and again. As for haters, maybe i noticed since she acted in hwarang. And yes, some of them are fans that dont satisfied their bias paired with his co star. If you go through instagram comments you'll always find those bad comments, not about the story but often about the actors or actresses.. XD ah seems i must spend my time on the other things than waste it to read such unimportant saying.. Haha.. 

Cant wait to watch some spoiler episode tonight <3

Archived