[Drama 2019] The Fiery Priest, 열혈사제 - "WE WILL BE BACK !"

Admin

2 hours ago, triplem said:

Protestants would use "Hananim", Catholics would address Him as "Haneunim". [t/n: not sure if there's a difference in English? :') ] Please take note of that and write it properly. [t/n: talking about the article title.]

sure @triplem; will check it out... haven't seen it but am wondering if they are referring to how the job title is referred? like among catholics, they say priest and would address him as "father" while protestants say pastor.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, triplem said:

I’m not sure if there’s a difference in Korean but I’m assuming there is . Maybe @stroppyse , if you don’t mind you can enlighten us if there’s difference in how they address a catholic priest vs a Protestant pastor in Korean? 

based on the netizen comments, am assuming there is... just based on that comment, am wondering if there would be lots of liberties taken and so will have to close my eyes to any funny doxology/rituals that might pop up. :sweatingbullets:...

just an aside, the idea of priest trying to correct wrong isn't that far stretched in korea as they have a kind of history. this was referred to in the drama "giant" if folks ever saw that...

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/656444.html

• Like 1

SBS’s 1st Friday-Saturday Drama “The Fiery Priest” Premieres To Impressive Ratings

by E. Cha
8ddf659b8ca6498fabd6f3fb259b7acb.jpeg?s=

SBS’s new drama “The Fiery Priest” is off to a strong start!

According to Nielsen Korea, “The Fiery Priest” enjoyed a successful premiere on February 15. The drama’s first broadcast scored average nationwide viewership ratings of 10.4 percent during its first half and 13.8 percent during its second.

The premiere’s ratings are particularly noteworthy because “The Fiery Priest” marks SBS’s first-ever Friday-Saturday drama—the broadcast network even changed the time slot of its long-running variety show “Law of the Jungle” in order to accommodate the new drama.

“The Fiery Priest” is a unique new mystery-comedy about a hot-tempered Catholic priest and a bumbling detective who join forces to solve a murder.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1304150wpp/sbss-1st-friday-saturday-drama-the-fiery-priest-premieres-to-impressive-ratings

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Finally I finished my work and managed to catch Ep 1! It was a fun first episode and I was laughing at how Prosecutor Park (Honey Lee) kept saying how handsome Priest Kim was. Is there not going to be a possible love line? Anyway I was really appalled at the level of corruption in the town where Priest Kim was sent to stay temporarily with his mentor. The police just left and let the thugs beat up the protestors??? And how that business man CEO Hwang just bullied and beat his way to getting what he wants? And I’m wondering about the detective (sorry I don’t remember his name yet) and if he is also as corrupted as his team members? It doesn’t seem so. He kept getting sent away by his team leader to do other things. It’s interesting to see how these two will team up. I’m predicting a lot of beating up from the Priest. :joy:

• Like 3

If it is KNG then we have to watch!! I am still coming to terms with his role of a Priest (no love lines. Let me get that into my brain!) Unless he is not a priest! :w00t:  The man lights up the screen. :heart:

Kim Sung Kyung seems wasted in ep 1. He deserves a stronger role even if it is of a comic relief. Lee Ha Nui is perfect! :lol:Her voice modulation itself is hilarious.

I am not looking forward to ep 2 simply because something bad might happen to the old priest.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

13 hours ago, joonminfan said:

I was laughing at how Prosecutor Park (Honey Lee) kept saying how handsome Priest Kim was. Is there not going to be a possible love line? Anyway I was really appalled at the level of corruption in the town where Priest Kim was sent to stay temporarily with his mentor. The police just left and let the thugs beat up the protestors???

The girl got taste ;)

And yeah, I was shocked to see the police just left like that... Nobody thought about recording it? Although maybe that will be of no help because even the prosecution office is probably as corrupted. Bring it to the national media, I'd say.

12 hours ago, triplem said:

I was so tickled at her admiration for Father Kim. I can’t believe she confronted him over the way he handled the confession. :joy: But Father Kim is so right though , even his sermon was spot on .

I think what I also really like is that  the characters here are a little rough around the edges even Lee Honey’s tough as nails Prosecutor Park a.k.a as Sister Angela. @LyraYoo I love how she won’t take any bullying lying down. Take for instance when she confronted that younger lawyer who talked down to her  during the dinner with the Chief Prosecutor. I am looking forward to when she works with Father Kim to take down the bad guys 

based on the synopsis I read , I have a bad feeling about Father Lee. Spoiler ahead 

Yes, I thought his sermon was spot on too. In fact, there is a passage in the Bible that talks about that exact point. And loving Park's attitude. I am pretty sure the Chief Prosecutor is another corrupt person whom Park will fight against....

I'd rather not have any death involved, but yeah, it seems that the person referred to is Father Lee :(

12 hours ago, triplem said:

It’s obvious Kim is well loved by the community that he was serving in before this . It was so cute & hilarious to see a Protestant pastor , a Buddhist monk & a fellow priest work to secure his freedom at the beginning of the episode.

I really love this part too! :lol:

But actually, ep.1 didn't really catch my attention as I'd expected. Staying on purely for the love of KNG. Maybe the show will be more interesting when our trio finally join forces.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, triplem said:

@staygold yippee ! You’re watching too . I’m hoping he’ll quit since it may not really be the right vocation for him . So that we can hv some romance  :lol: ( dear Lord , forgive me ) Think he’s just using this to deal with his PTSD or something like tha

@triplem       Thats the road i am taking with this drama .:innocent:...since he admits that she pushes his buttons (after the confession) i am rooting for good romance here ...he is good at drastic change of careers so we will encourage him to form divine partnership with our female Goddess lol 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Dropped by to see if anyone posted any short clips of Ep 2. Thanks loads @triplem! Loved that kick from Detective Seo, and it was so funny how the bad guy just stood there smiling. For a moment, I thought he didn't feel anything and was quite worried for her, but then he just keeled over. :lol: And Detective Koo's reaction and final morphing into the famous painting The Scream. Hilarious!

I hope that Detective Seo will join forces with Detective Koo, Father Kim and Prosecutor Park. Yay for strong women!

• Like 5

Injustice issues should trigger everyone's anger meter ..it seems that KNG somehow escaped selling his soul to the devil=human degradation of love , honour and protect  even though he was cooked in war machine oven in his previous job . Still rooting for him and Honey :)  and the new police sister that i am proud to see helping him . 

Wow limp d**k  police here ... he gets to serve last rites for them .  

• Like 4

Hello, fellow Believers

I also love crime procedurals and comedies and so this fits the bill. The other priest is called Father Matteo haha

I was laughing my head off at Ep 1 preview. She's so attracted to him and the show is milking it.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

I just finished Ep 3-4. It seems to me that Detective Koo has been so beaten by the corruption in the police department that he has no choice but to just follow his team leader’s instructions to deal lightly with the gangsters and to close cases like Father Lee’s murder quickly without really doing any real investigative work. Despite that, he’s still been given crappy work, passed up for promotions and being made the scapegoat should anything go wrong. I know that there is no excuse for him to behave his way. He’s an officer sworn to uphold law and order, and it’s sad that he has become someone like that. So I’m hoping for redemption. I want to see who is the one who finally convinces him to work against the gangsters AND the police department, and how he is convinced. 

I’m a little confused by Prosecutor Park though. Is she also corrupted? Maybe I need to rewatch the first 4 eps again to get a better grasp of her character. Is she good? Or evil?

I cried together with the characters when they were mourning for Father Lee. Although he only appeared for 4 eps, but I could tell that he was a kind, sincere man who cares deeply for everyone, even the bad guys, and wants to do a little good in the world. He has a big heart, and it’s sad that he died in such a brutal, unfair way.

From the preview at the end of Ep 4, does it mean that Father Kim may give up his ordainship so that he can investigate Father Lee’s death? If so, maybe a love line isn’t impossible. 

PS/ I apologise if I misused any religious words or terms here. I’m not a Catholic or a Christian, so if I said anything wrong, please feel free to correct me. 

• Like 6

Just watched Ep2 and I wished I had waited until 4 episodes in!

Father Lee is the catalyst to get our team together and start removing corruption which looks to have reached the highest level in the prosecutor's office.

At this stage I think Prosecutor Park is balanced on the knife edge. She received the box with the money but did she keep it? Hmmm..

She is also not delving deeply into Father Lee's death unless our fiery priest has solid evidence.

So far, our team is still not together but it does seem like he removed his priest's robes and is somehow back in service with the military?

I am sure he will begin investigating. However, not too sure if he has left the church permanently.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

:scream: --> was literally my reaction 12 minutes into ep.3.... Gosh, I cannot imagine the trauma Kim had to go through witnessing the children in the room. It might be easier if it's just one child, but a roomful of children??? :scream:

*continue watching

And then :joy: --> was my reaction when Gu made the :scream: expression...

How corrupted is that area?? How are our trio (or is it quartet?) going to win against them??

ETA: just finished watching... so are they going to work together as a team, or just work together on the case but for separate reason? I'm still not clear on that... Anyway, really really can't wait for Friday to come so we can watch the next episode already!! Ep.2 is so much more engaging. I am rooting for Kim to get all those bad guys!! Echoing @joonminfan : YAAAYY for strong women!!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

At this stage I think Prosecutor Park is balanced on the knife edge. She received the box with the money but did she keep it? Hmmm..

She is also not delving deeply into Father Lee's death unless our fiery priest has solid evidence.

So far, our team is still not together but it does seem like he removed his priest's robes and is somehow back in service with the military?

I am sure he will begin investigating. However, not too sure if he has left the church permanently.

Since i am rooting for the romance between KNG and Honey :blush:  (   i sincerely hope that she donates the money to the church LOL ...poetic justice she got the money to get  rid of the church haha )  she is one smart cookie , and she is already seeing the picture when after watching the tv monkeys repeating the spiel  that they were fed without questioning or explaining where were all those accusations up till now against the old priest, she said something like oh come on . 

• Like 5