[Drama 2019] The Fiery Priest, 열혈사제 - "WE WILL BE BACK !"

Admin

This IG account has subbed the recent e news . It has 10 cuts subbed

Spoiler

Cut 4 - focus on the hottest priest KNG

Spoiler

Cut 5 - Honey :heart:

Spoiler

Cut 6 Audience came to love our the young & upcoming casts -  Seo, Bobby , SS & Yohan 

Spoiler

Cut 7 Ameera’s hubby was a favourite 

Cut 8 woot woot sis Kim 

Spoiler

Cut 9 they really love Bobby - they say he’s the rising star , he showed them how to do the capoeira :D 

Spoiler

Finally director & the possibility of S2 ,  they will look into it. Big love for him 

Spoiler

I Google Translated the link to Kim Nam Gil’s interview. Its definitely not the best translation but i hope the link works.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ko&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://m.entertain.naver.com/read%3Foid%3D421%26aid%3D0003963944&xid=17259,15700021,15700186,15700190,15700253,15700256,15700259&usg=ALkJrhixfFfSxqQuKPwvG1FPwDxWgkPEiw

Hopefully it gets properly translated at some point:blush:

Edited by Wonkee
  • Like 1

Kim Nam Gil Shares His Hopes For “The Fiery Priest” Season 2 + Why He Turned Down “The Pirates” Sequel

Kim Nam Gil Shares His Hopes For “The Fiery Priest” Season 2 + Why He Turned Down “The Pirates” Sequel

Apr 29, 2019
by C. Hong

On April 29, Kim Nam Gil sat down for an interview to talk about his recently ended drama, “The Fiery Priest.”

The production staff of “The Fiery Priest” released a statementnot long after the drama’s finale that they were currently in talks for a second season.

Kim Nam Gil said, “The crew were talking about Season 2 from about Episode 17 or 18. It wasn’t a drama that we made with seasons in mind. When we went on our reward vacation, the actors talked about it among ourselves and the response was positive. We said that we wanted to move forward without any of us leaving and without adding someone else to the cast.”

He continued, “It’s true that I have a lot of concerns about what I can show and what we can bring to a second season. We didn’t really have a lot of expectations for the ratings in ‘The Fiery Priest,’ but it did well. I think Season 2 will be about properly telling the stories that we want to tell. We mentioned that we didn’t want to wait too long. But that’s not something that we can control…”

Kim Nam Gil also recently turned down the offer to star in the sequel to the movie “The Pirates.” He said, “I thought about it for a very long time,” he said. “I thought I was really lucky to be offered a lead role in the second part of the series. But lately I have been overworking my body. They said that filming would begin in June, and I didn’t have confidence in my ability to rest properly before then.”

He added, “When I was injured, it affected a lot of people around me. The other actors couldn’t be easy around me, and the production crew were also hyper-aware of the situation. I think that it would have been adding unnecessary pressure on the cast and crew, so although my relationship with ‘The Pirates’ remains good, I decided I couldn’t do the sequel. An action movie has to be done right, after all.”

Kim Nam Gil injured his wrists and ribs while filming action scenes for “The Fiery Priest.”

kim-nam-gil-1.jpg

• Like 4

Omomo. Aparrently Honey Lee also fractured her finger too :o. KMG said Honey Lee was like his mum, she scolded him a lot. Its good to see how deep the whole cast bond is, a 2nd season will not happen even if one actor is unable to join.

Spoiler

Kim Nam Gil Discusses The Burning Sun Controversy Reference In “The Fiery Priest”

Kim Nam Gil Discusses The Burning Sun Controversy Reference In “The Fiery Priest”

Apr 30, 2019
by S. Park

Kim Nam Gil shared his thoughts on referencing the Burning Sun issue in “The Fiery Priest.”

On April 29, the actor participated in an interview after the conclusion of his latest drama. “The Fiery Priest,” which centered around the topic of justice, was loved by viewers and ended with high viewership ratings of 22 percent.

The characters in the drama took on a case called the Rising Moon, a nod to the currently ongoing Burning Sun controversy. In his interview, Kim Nam Gil said, “I think the Burning Sun controversy became a bigger problem because societal issues and celebrities were connected. I did think that it might be a bit uncomfortable to deal with a case that has not yet been resolved.”

He continued, “Writer [Park Jae Bum] had thought about similar cases before the Burning Sun controversy came up. He did incorporate elements from the Burning Sun issue, but I think it was the incorporation of unjust things that are likely to happen in reality that fit well with the state of our current society.”

“At first, I worried a lot about what direction I should go with, but the writer wanted to be straightforward,” said Kim Nam Gil. “Contrary to my concerns, I was relieved that the viewers felt liberated by that part.”

Kim-Nam-Gil11.jpg

Mentioning the scene where he had a conversation with Kim Sung Kyun while wearing a dog mask, Kim Nam Gil explained, “In the car, Kim Sung Kyun asked, ‘Why are you being so nice to Park Kyung Sun (Honey Lee)?’ and Kim Hae Il (Kim Nam Gil) said, ‘Saints have a past and sinners have a future.’ I thought that this was the ultimate message of the drama. There were many lines and scenes, but this was my favorite.”

He continued, “The part where Ssong Sak (played by Ahn Chang Hwan) awakens was also so good that I got chills. A strength of this drama is that every small role is used well and doesn’t go to waste. I really liked that every character’s story and emotions were portrayed.”

Kim Nam Gil sustained multiple injuries while filming “The Fiery Priest” including fractured wrists and a fractured rib, but returned to the set to fulfill his role. “A person who’s good at it doesn’t get hurt, and I got hurt because my drive got ahead of me,” said the actor. “In the past, if I was I was admitted to the hospital, I would’ve wanted to rest since I was hurt, but I got mad at myself this time. That happened around episode nine or 10, and I felt like I was going to cause harm to a drama that was smooth sailing. The broadcasting company (SBS) was so considerate and first thought of canceling episodes, but at a time when there were so many factors that could raise viewership ratings, I didn’t want to be the reason for the drama to miss that timing. That would have negatively affected the drama as well as actors who just started gaining attention.”

He shared with a laugh, “I said that I would come out and film, but that was also causing a nuisance. Honey Lee scolded me a lot. I thought she was my mom because she scolded me so much. Because I was scolded so much, I wondered if I should’ve returned after my body was completely healed. Actually, Honey Lee also had a finger fracture, but she  filmed while repeatedly removing and putting on the cast.”

Kim-Nam-Gil31.jpg

Because it’s difficult for major network dramas to achieve 10 percent in viewership ratings these days, the 20-percent range achieved by “The Fiery Priest” holds even more meaning. As the beloved drama came to an end, many viewers requested for a second season.

“Assuming this is season one, we don’t know if season two will get the same reaction as now, and it would be a concern as to how to satisfy the high expectations,” stated Kim Nam Gil. “We’ve agreed between the actors that we would not do season two if even one actor leaves.”

The actor doesn’t have a follow-up project as of yet and wants to focus on treatment for both of his wrists for now. “My bones healed quickly in my 20s, but I get scared now that I’m aging. I want to take care of my health first and then try whatever is good without limiting myself to a type of media whether that’s a drama or a film. I don’t really want to rest, but I think treatment should come first.”

Kim-Nam-Gil21.jpg

• Like 6

One of the key success to TFP was that everyone had their moment to shine as mentioned by KNG in his latest interview extract. 

A strength of this drama is that every small role is used well and doesn’t go to waste. I really liked that every character’s story and emotions were portrayed.”

Every character had an important part to play in conveying the message the drama wanted to express. A favourite quote of KNG was ‘Saints have a past and sinners have a future.’ No one is perfect but as long as one is willing to acknowledge their past and turn over a new leaf, people around them should embrace them. This is so fitting in this time of age where the society is becoming more judgemental, superficial and unforgiving.

I love that the cast are such fun loving and tight knit bunch... can’t wait to catch Long Dragon and SongSac special 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, sushilicious said:

"Don't tell me it's a secret, because your death can be a secret too." @ktcjdrama  Somehow this is so impactful to me...

Yes, I love that and the calm way he delivered it... chilling :D 

Wait, I think it's "Let's not have any secrets between us, because your death can become a secret too" Mwuahaahahahaa...:naughty:

s1.gif 

literally me after reading any article about season two of TFP. 

It all seems so uncertain, and my paranoia is getting the best of me. 

I REALLY HOPE THEY MAKE A SEASON TWO, I CANT FIND ANYTHING TO WATCH BC THIS SHOW IS TOO GOOD.

(also i legit had a dream where they made a season two but replaced KNG with someone else and i was crying lmao help)

:bawling:

• LOL 2

April 29, 2019

Interview

"The Fiery Priest" Kim Nam-gil "Bad Guy to Comedy"

Source: EDaily via HanCinema.net

photo1057885.jpg

"I like B-class comedy movies like "Shaolin Soccer", "The Funny Movie" and "Dachimawa Lee". My comedy comes from Stephen Chow and Im Won-hee. When I first started comedy in "Pirates" (2014), people said that it was truly me. I have a standard when it comes to choosing movies and dramas, and that's if the message is clear and if there is humor behind it. We need laughter in our lives".

The interview was full of laughter. He was a born-storyteller. His jokes lightened up the mood and there was no 'bad guy' to be seen around him. We are talking about actor Kim Nam-gil, who recently starred in the SBS Friday / Saturday miniseries "The Fiery Priest", which ended on the 20th.

Spoiler

photo1057886.jpg

Kim Nam-gil played Kim Hae-il, a former special agent and current priest. His anger management issues are the traumatic result of when he was an agent, so he's always losing it. However, his anger for justice was reasonable. His comedy and hidden parodies such as the satire of the club Rising Sun, which mocks the Burning Sun issue, contributed to the drama's popularity. The final episode of the drama ended with 22.0% (according to Nielsen Korea).

The actor gave credit to his colleagues. Eum Moon-seok in the role of Longde, Ahn Chang-hwan in the role of Ssong-ssak and Ko Kyu-pil in the role of Oh Yo-han were in the limelight. Kim Nam-gil said, "Everyone was perfect. Thanks to that everyone evenly got their share of the spotlight, and I'm most happy about that". This is also a reason why season 2 is in discussion right now. "I wish the members of season 1 can join the next season too", he hopes.

photo1057884.jpg

Another factor of the drama was the dynamic action. There were a lot of action scenes where Kim Nam-gil had to use his long legs, thus the injuries to the wrist and ribs. The production told him to take a break, but Kim Nam-gil had a different approach. He felt responsible for the viewers. He continued to film on painkillers. He said, "Everyone around me paid so much attention to me when I got hurt that it was almost embarrassing".

There was word of concern regarding the fact that he was a 'violent priest'. However, Kim Nam-gil, who is of no religious background, put more weight on the fact that his character was a former special agent. While preparing for the drama, he met priests in person and realized the images of priests and his character are completely different. There were some who actually gave him confidence. Kim Nam-gil said, "Thanks to this opportunity, I became close to one of them. The anger my character portrays is justifiable for the sake of the happiness of others".

Kim Nam-gil debuted in 2003 through MBC and rose to stardom in the MBC drama "Queen Seon-deok" and SBS "Bad Man". Then he suddenly left for National Service right after "Bad Man". "It was a chance for me to force my excitement down", he says. He sends the message of alternating happiness and sadness. He said, "I always commit myself to something thinking this could be my last piece of work". That's what he tells his juniors too.

photo1057883.jpg

We asked about the ordinary Kim Nam-gil. He replied that he's just a part of society. He enjoys hobbies like running and listening to music, he takes the subway from Suwon to Gangnam, and sometimes drives his small car. He also doesn't put weight on evaluation or numbers, but tries to make the most of his days. He claims he doesn't seek prizes, although he's a candidate for the Best Actor in Dramas at the 55th Baeksang Arts Awards.

"I used to put meaning into everything when I was young, and when I wasn't on the list of candidate I would be suspicious. However, from some point on, I realized that was me being rude to my colleagues and the staff that work with me. I decided not to care. I am happy to see senior actors be chosen for awards. It's a place for celebration. I plan on celebrating".

• Like 4
  • Love 2

April 29, 2019

Production Costs Go up and Dramas Become Comprehensive Art

Source: KMIB via HanCinema.net

The background music for "The Fiery Priest" has us excited every once in a while. The lyrics to the title song "Our Neighborhood Hero" by NORAZO, synced with priest Kim Hae-il (Kim Nam-gil), who purified Gudam from evil, and the melody just made the drama that much more exciting.

photo1057868.jpg

Unlike the past, where dramas were focused mainly on the story alone, dramas these days are turning into comprehensive art. The music, the filming techniques, and the art of a drama require more attention than they used to before. The strategy is to secure a comparative advantage in the intense drama competition in order to secure viewers.

How is the background music made? Most go through several meetings and request several songs that fit the atmosphere. When the singer has been decided they go into recording, but the number of songs is quite a few. Someone in charge of OST for "The Fiery Priest" said, "We asked for a song that expresses Kim Hae-il's anger for his creators when we decided on "Our Neighborhood Hero". It was chosen out of 15 songs and 6~7 people. Looking at the whole list of OSTs about 6 songs were chosen out of 100".

Spoiler

photo1057867.jpg

Eye-catching filming techniques are also a differentiating factor from other dramas. A couple of cases in point are the tvN dramas "Secret Forest" and "Confession - Drama" that continue the genealogy of well-made genres. "Confession - Drama" has been receiving favorable feedback with a 5% viewing rate thanks to the excellent performance of Lee Junho and Yoo Jae-myung, as well as the cinematic production.

The delicate sequence of legal scenes and thrillers make you especially immersed. Director of photography Kang Seung-gi said, "When it comes to emphasizing the thriller elements, we used the hand-held camera (which allows you to feel the shaking of the hand) to make blunt moves and save the vividness of the situation. On the other hand, legal scenes were filmed with a moving-camera, to capture the expressions of all the actors, and to try and connect the emotions to make viewers feel like they were in court themselves. While the former color sensitivity was mostly blue tone, the latter was colorless and realistic". "Doctor Prisoner", which cost about 10 billion in production costs, used an anamorphic lens for high-priced wide-screens to create a cinematic feel with excellent color.

The art director played a big role too. The quality of the drama depends on the quality of the set. "Doctor Prisoner" successfully stole the scene with a fresh visual of the prison. CP Hwang Eui-kyung said, "For most of the set except for the outside of the prison, we tried to blend reality and creativity. In order to save the ease of the camera moving and the three-dimensionality of the drama, we designed a double-decker prison that is not common in Korea. The addition of red, not gray, color to the prison walls was also an attempt to differentiate the entire atmosphere from ordinary criminals".

Park Min-young and Kim Jae-wook's "Her Private Life" is a story that takes place in an art museum, hence more attention was paid to the artifacts that were to appear in the drama. Producer Lee Sang-hee said, "We went through various discussions with galleries and artists to pick out 100 art pieces that will be shown throughout the first 8 episodes. We worked hard to make a set-up like a real art museum and select pictures that can make the characters stand out".

Thanks to this, viewers can see quality dramas in their home rooms. Drama critic Gong Hee-jung said, "Due to global OTT such as Netflix, the market has expanded and production technology has developed rapidly. Various backgrounds, including the increase in the number of domestic dramas produced, seem to have served as a catalyst to boost producers' desire to create".

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@triplem thank you sooo much for the twitter subs! They’re a great help! Im also watching My Fellow Citizen now hahaha that icon of yours! 

Kim Nam Gil is gonna be on Entertainment Weekly panel as a host I think. 

Hwang Cheul Beom and Prosecutor Kang will be on Happy Together. The show must be that popular if they are on a KBS show. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1