[Movie 2020] The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들

rubie

Art by hso0913

Source: The New Paper

THE MAN STANDING NEXT (NC16)

4/5 checked2.jpgchecked2.jpgchecked2.jpgchecked2.jpg

You will be kept on the edge of your seat throughout this South Korean historical suspense thriller, which depicts the complex web of emotions going through Kim Gyu-pyeong (Lee Byung-hun), the director of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA).

It revolves around the intense power struggle between Kim and chief presidential bodyguard Kwak Sang-cheon (Lee Hee-joon) that reaches its peak during the last 40 days of the President's (Lee Sung-min) regime before the latter is assassinated by Kim in 1979.

The two men also compete to prevent a former KCIA director (Kwak Do-won), who is exiled to the US where Koreagate investigations are under way and knows all about the government's operations, from publishing his memoir.

While The Man Standing Next tries to incorporate all viewpoints of why the assassination happened, it takes a slightly sympathetic stance towards Kim.

Lee's portrayal of Kim is excellent as it fully encapsulates the woes of any person bounded by circumstances such as his.

Definitely an interesting watch for history junkies. - ELAINE LEE

• Like 2

Review by junhohwang10 (disclaimer: Google-translate)

"I do what I want to do. I'm next to him."
This is a true story based on the disappearance of the former government chief Kim Hyung-wook in 1979 and a poem of the October 26 incident.
It's a shame because it's not politically beautiful. However, the feelings and tensions that followed when I was empathized were the best, and I was very interested in Korean modern and contemporary history, which was so volatile that I could not feel bored all the time. In addition, the actors acting skills were also very immersed was high. There is no history in history, but if Kim Jae-kyu went directly to the Namsan court headquarters instead of driving with the army chief of staff who had accompanied the president's report, would the history of Korea change today? The bite just bites the tail. Is it all true? Or is it because the truth is still unknown.
Anyway, it is one of the most painful tragedies in modern Korean history, including the Korean War and the Korean War. I just hope it won't happen again. .
There are also rumors that Kim Jae-kyu is alive in the United States. The US CIA intervened and sneaked him out, and he still lives well in the United States. The irony is that both Kim Jae-gyu and President Park are from Gumi; 

• Like 2

February 27, 2020

The Man Standing Next Review: Lee Byung-Hun Shines In Intense & Intriguing Korean Political Thriller

By TAY YEK KEAK TODAY Online

tmsn_2.jpg
It’s about the assassination of South Korean President Park Chung-Hee in 1979.

The Man Standing Next (NC16)

Starring Lee Byung-Hun, Kwak Do-Won, Lee Sung-Min

Directed by Woo Min-Ho

The Man Standing Next. Strange title. Next to what? The toilet? The smoking bin? The water cooler?

Okay, I'm being a wisea**. The man, a top intelligence chief played by pretty boy Lee Byung-Hun, is standing next in line to be the president of South Korea. But he's a patriot so good and decent in the cesspool here, he doesn't want the job while others worship and besmirch it.

Boy, when you see this intense and intriguing snake pit of a political drama-thriller, you'd think that Korean government leaders and military top brass are all ruthless, murderous crooks. Not just mere wrongdoers. But outright despicable and corrupt criminals.

Imagine the head of the supreme intelligence agency of the nation assassinating the president of the country. The incredible thing is that this really happened in 1979 during the fearful dictatorial rule of President Park Chung-Hee (Lee Sung-Min from The Spy Gone North).

This tale recounts the tense 40 days of in-house skullduggery and international espionage which escalated out of control right up to the assassination carried out personally by the president's own spy chief.

I'm nominating this shooting-off-the-snake's-head-at-a-private-dinner sequence here for Best Assassination Scene Ever because it's simply riveting and utterly jaw-dropping for being an actual event. “When the nation goes haywire, we all die. We kill him tonight,” goes the cryptic order.

You've got to be ideally Korean, a conspiracy theorist, army buff or a sick coup d'etat enthusiast to fully soak in this film without being confused. It just goes straight into the proceedings as if everybody watching it knows Korean history by heart. But if you're shallow enough to see this crazy true story — well, more or less true — because this is the place where BTS hails from, this very serious flick is still pretty gripping.

You just need to pay attention. Because the devious manoeuvring, jostling and backstabbing are breathtakingly Machiavellian and quite hard to follow. Even shadows chase their own shadows here and competing factions actually have their own sneaky spies and loyal hitmen to eliminate their Korean rivals in elaborate kill-capades staged in even as far away as France.

Which means things are so murky you'll need to know this crucial pointer to wade through the convoluted power play. Among the inglorious bastards assembled, only Lee playing Kim Gyu Pyeong, the director of the formidable KCIA (Korean Central Intelligence Agency), has some morals and principles. Although even he isn't opposed to terminating someone he knows well when the need arises.

Back in the tumultuous 1970s, Kim's good friend, Park Yong Gak (Kwak Do-Won from The Wailing), an ex-KCIA director himself, flees to America and threatens to expose all the shady dealings of the Park government in a tell-all book, a move which turns the president demented with vengeful rage.

It puts current director Kim in a tough dilemma as he micro-manages this national-security problem to go away. He talks to his exiled colleague face-to-face in the US in deep stealth as a go-between, ala in a John le Carre novel.

Of course, things are simply too dirty and people too nefarious for treason to be resolved so easily. Wearing solemn spectacles and a sharp suit, Lee's Kim is the conflicted shining light amid the overall darkness.

Depicted in a very sympathetic manner here, he's the last honest powerful man in Korea who still naively believes in serving his country while the vile roosters are raiding the farm.

You know this because he becomes visibly sick when, after climbing like a monkey into a safehouse to personally eavesdrop on the president, he finds out that the man he's sworn utmost loyalty to wants him out of the way too. “I will always stand by you,” Kim vows to his big boss, a close friend and former comrade in arms who, drunk with greed and power, doesn't think twice about betraying that trust.

Every time the cruelly callous president says “You have my full support; do as you please”, he's giving the green light for someone to be tortured brutally or bumped off secretly.

Disposal methods include shoving a dead dude into a wood-cutting machine.

By the way, although President Park portrayed here is a real person, the other main characters are fictional names based on real officials.

Fortunately, the movie tells you who's who in what position since so many different Kims, Parks and Lees swirl in this unholy mess you'd likely to be confused all the way to the next coup.

Now, this film's director Woo Min Ho previously helmed another dirty-politics pic, 2015’s Inside Men. I'm actually concerned for his safety due to the plot's stark and unrelenting portrayal of pure chief executive evil with zero redeeming features.

Basically, the president is depicted as a traitorous SOB to the revolutionary cause.

He abandons the wisdom of his formerly trusted KCIA chief and instead embraces his shamelessly boot-licking head of security, Lieutenant-Colonel Gwak (Lee Hee Joon), who's a crass, scheming bully willing to massacre even his own citizens just to appease his boss.

“Killing one or two million people with tanks is nothing,” he brags about putting down a people's revolt brewing in the opposition stronghold of Busan. Man, I haven't seen very senior officials fight like schoolkids — Kim and Gwak literally draw guns — in a government building since John Bolton butted heads in the White House.

Anyway, I'm scared because what if diehard Park fanatics still lurk in the shadows today? It isn't too far-fetched since the assassinated prez was the father of the also-deposed former female president, Park Geun Hye. FYI, she herself is currently languishing in prison in a kinda traditional Korean fall-of-the-mighty merry-go-round.

The Man Standing Next suggests that the late Park was so rotten to the core that even the American CIA bugged him right in his office. Which gives Lee an opportunity to speak really good English with a lot of heft.

All the leads are spot-on good here. But Lee — recently seen in volcano-disaster flick, Ashfall — truly exudes star power alongside his authority despite being as glum as a funeral all through the film.

Just to see him cling on to futile hope in the goodness of man while everything conspires against this notion is an ironic thrill. “He'll step down slowly. I'll be helping him,” he proffers as the Last Great Fool about his gone-case heinous boss even as his own influence wanes.

The Man Standing Next may be too steeped in incomprehensible Korean history to truly connect with local viewers. But, luckily, The Man Standing Here is Lee Byung Hun.(***1/2)

• Like 2

February 18, 2020

THE MAN STANDING NEXT review thread on twitter typewriter.gif

Thanks to Beyond the Screen@btsarmycinema
·

Description: In the 1970s, South Korea is under the absolute control of President Park, who controls the KCIA. The organization with an edge over any branch of government.

SUMMARY

This film was one of my most anticipated Korean releases of 2020, and it more then delivered. This thriller follows the last 40 days of President Park Chung-hee, the military dictator of the 60s and 70s.

For those not as familiar with Korean history, this film does a phenomenal job at using creative liberties to condense and explain the gradual fall of Park’s regime.

It covers both Koreagate and the assassination, with gripping espionage and political power moves. Though names are changed and dates of certain events altered, it is a very serious adaptation of the events covered in the non-fiction novel of the same name.

CHARACTERS

Kim Gyu-pyeong/Kim Jae-gyu:

Played by Lee Byung-hun, this is a very nuanced portrayal. The character comes across very stoic to begin with, a very measured restrained being a defining part of his role.

tmsn_62.jpg

However slowly you see that restrained begin to wither away, and Lee Byung-hun’s performance of Kim’s paranoia and conflict left quiet an impression. The moments where his walls begin to crack are so well placed in the narrative.

Lee Byung-hun does a great job at communicating his emotion though his eyes, and small bits of body language such as fixing his hair. I would have to go back and watch this again before I say anything for certain. But I think this is may be one of his best performances.

He does an incredible job, and the ending when he was looking at his hands in the car, gave me chills. I think perhaps the reason some might question this, is comparing this to his roles in I Saw the Devil and A Bittersweet Life for example (or even The Good, The Bad, The Weird),

The Man Standing Next is a much more restrained and nuanced performance. To me this shows he has a great range.

Park Yong-gak/Kim Hyong-uk:

I didn’t expect this, but I actually think Kwak Do-won’s performance is my favourite. Or at least as memorable as Lee Byung-hun. He was so good at expressing the different facets of the character, the emotions were particularly a driving force.

tmsn_63.jpg

I think my favourite moments are when he is in a heated discussion with the character of Deborah Shim, and that last moment in Paris. Something about his portrayal felt so very human and I enjoyed watching him every moment he was on screen.

President Park/Park Chung-hee:
Aside from the great job done to make him look like Park Chung-hee, Lee Sung-min does a great job in this role. He is similar to Lee Byung-hun’s portrayal in that both are very restrained and nuanced, but there are defining differences.

tmsn_64.jpg

Lee Sung-min puts malice and an air of superiority to the forefront, to show a ruthless man now just trying to hold onto power. This as a result has President Park less restrained then Kim, this slight juxtaposition enforcing their tension.

Lee Sung-min and Lee Byung-hun played really well off of each other, the chemistry was very strong. You could feel the complex dynamic through even the simplest of gestures. Such as Kim watching the President whisper to someone else, or a lingering exchanged look.

Kwak Sang-Cheon/Cha Ji-chul:
This may not have been my favourite performance but Lee Hee-jun does a solid job to the very end. The rivalry and dynamic between his character and Lee Byung-hun’s, is very well developed.

Spoiler

tmsn_65.jpg

So much so that you can see the release of frustration from Kim very clearly at the end. Another powerful aspect to this portrayal is just how much you can tell Kwak believes in President Park.

It’s also really cool to know Lee Hee-jun put on weight, 25 kilos, for this role. It proves just how much each of these actors took their roles seriously, and wished to do justice to this period in history and the real people they were portraying.

ANALYSIS

By starting this film at the end, and winding back the clock, the feeling of time ticking away is further enhanced. Pared with Lee Byung-hun’s performance, this really has you on the edge of your seat leading up to the finale.

The framing and lighting of characters is always done with great purpose, highlighting the emotion and mental state of each of the characters. The way the film is shot is most certainly done to emphasis the gradual collapse within President Park’s inner circle.

There are lingering shots of characters observing one another, or simply sitting alone, which are used to stoke the growing paranoia and communicate the psychological hurdles each of the characters face.

The extent of this technique is best paired with Lee Byung-hun’s performance, because each shot helps translate to the audience the way his final choice begins to build in his mind. Kim must choose between his country or his president.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

If you are interested in history or political thrillers, I highly suggest you look to see if this film is currently showing somewhere near you, and go see it. The times I’ve been lucky to see a Korean film in theatres, have always been memorable experiences.

• Like 2

This article could not be more spot-on about THE MAN STANDING NEXT. It was a bit of consolation that the movie had accumulated so much and so fast in the first week of screening, going at an incredible rate daily till it surpassed 4 million and counting. It's just too bad that the high momentum was cut short by the outbreak. 

TMSN may not reach 10 or 5 million it deserved but the strong critical acclaim & recognition will make up for it.

March 10, 2020

Bleak future for post-virus cinema

Shortened summer break, Olympics cast shadow on Chungmuro

People in masks pass movie posters at a theater in Seoul on Feb. 11. Korea Times file

People in masks pass movie posters at a theater in Seoul on Feb. 11. Korea Times file

By Park Ji-won The Korea Times

Director Woo Min-ho's "The Man Standing Next" was unstoppable at the local box office.

After premiering on Jan. 22, rosy prospects for the movie dominated.

During four days of the Lunar New Year Holidays from Jan. 24 to 27, the movie, which fictionalizes the death of President Park Chung-hee ― who was assassinated by his security chief on Oct. 26, 1979 ― traces the spy agency chief's whereabouts for 40 days before the tragic day. The movie has attracted 2.8 million viewers.

It appeared just a matter of time before the thriller joined the 10-million club.

But such optimism crashed abruptly in early February when the movie, like many others in cinemas at the time, was hit hard by the coronavirus outbreak. Since then, moviegoers have deserted theaters, wreaking havoc on filmmakers, investors and distributors.

"The Man Standing Next" strove to hang in there but distributors eventually gave in. It disappeared from theaters while failing to reach its break-even point of 5 million tickets.

Several blockbuster movies had the same fate. And movies that were to be screened in spring put their schedules back.

People in the film industry are anxiously awaiting the end of the virus outbreak.

Will Chungmuro, Korea's Hollywood, be better off when and if the virus goes? Considering what's next, it is fair to say hard days for movies may continue until summer at the earliest.

The shortened summer break and the Tokyo Olympics add pressure on the film industry as a sharp drop in ticket sales is inevitable.

Since local governments and companies are encouraging workers to stay home to limit the impact of the infectious disease, the situation has led to a surge in demand for online-based entertainment content, especially streaming services like Netflix, Watcha and Wavve. The effect on movie theaters has been huge, with customer numbers decreasing daily.

Spoiler

According to the latest data from the Korean Film Council, only 230,752 people went to movie theaters last weekend, the lowest since 2011. On the previous weekend, from Feb. 29 to March 1, 286,396 people went to the movies.

The opening of over 50 films scheduled for February and March has been delayed due to the virus. That includes the black-and-white version of "Parasite," "Time to Hunt," "No Time to Die," "The Informer" and "Mulan."

The movies are expected to be released in May and July, but could be further delayed depending on the spread of the virus.

The film industry also is worried that it might not have a chance to start promoting the movies, leading to fewer customers during the summer break ― which is one of the most important times for the movie industry.

Normally, film distributers start promotions several months before the release of new movies and production starts about a year earlier. However, for now, most have not decided when to release their new movies.

CJ ENM was originally planning to release "Seobok," starring Gong Yoo and Park Bo Gum, in July and musical film "Hero," starring Jung Sung-wha and Kim Go-eun, in August. But the plan has been suspended. Earlier, it decided to run other films such as "Dambo," starring Kim Yun-jin, in April and "Dogul," starring Lee Je-hoon, in May. But the schedule can be adjusted depending on the situation, according to officials from the distributor.

"Summer breaks and holidays are among the key promotion periods throughout the year," an industry insider said. "But as schools delay the beginning of new semesters due to mass infections from the coronavirus, and thus have shorter breaks than average years, movie theaters may not have the ticket sales as planned.

"It is difficult for low-cost movies compared to blockbusters to find the right timing to make their movies to survive."

The Tokyo Olympics in July and August also may take customers away from theaters.

According to market insiders, the number of moviegoers fell when the Olympic Games were held in neighboring countries China and Russia.

Analyst Kim Hyung-oh told Yonhap that there were 10 million moviegoers when the Beijing Olympics were held between Aug. 8 and 24, 2008, down 1 million from 2007.

When the 2014 Winter Olympics were held in Sochi, Russia, the number of moviegoers decreased by about 3 million.

jwpark@koreatimes.co.kr 

Art by SOLKETCHBOOK

• Like 1

March 14, 2020

[Recommended] “The Man Standing Next” Restore the Truth!  Lee Byung Hun’s obsession with serving the President in exchange for this end?  (A Translation) 

0312_1.jpg

Adapted from the real events in the novel "The Chiefs of Nanshan", starring Lee Byung Hun “Ashfall”, Lee Sung Min” The Spy Gone North”, Gwak Do Won “The Wailing”, Lee Hee Joon “ 987: When the Day Comes”.  The movie’s cumulative box office has exceeded 41.2 billion Won in South Korea and, and it will be released in Taiwan on March 13.

0312_2.jpg

“ The Chiefs of Namshan “  tells the story taking place 40 days before the chief of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA)  (Lee Byung Hun) who assassinated the President (Lee Sung Min ) in 1979. Although Taiwanese audiences may not be very familiar with the Korean historical background at that time,  it is not hard to find,  in the movie,  that the ministers tried so hard to win the favour of the then president.  The KCIA chief played by Lee Byung Hun was devoted to the President and always looked up to him.  Finally, however, he was provoked and lost rationality and shot the president. 

Spoiler

0312_3.jpg

Director Woo Min Ho believes that this is not only a piece of history in the past, but this event will not end after the movie is aired.  As a director, he would be very happy that whatever the work could not present,  it could be become more complete through these powerful actors.   The actors:  Lee Sung Min, Lee Byung Hun, Gwak Do Won, and Lee Hee Joon all showed superb acting skills which will definitely made the audience absolutely delighted. 

Spoiler

0312_4.jpg

Since this is a historical event, the director of "The Chiefs of Nanshan" hopes to present it faithfully without the political flavor of either side. Gwak Do Won also believes that this is the most difficult role he has encountered. He plays a former KCIA chief in the movie, has on hand the secrets of the president, and is about to reveal them to the United States.  The President cannot afford to sit back and use all sorts of means so that the character portrayed by Gwak cannot hold his own. 

0312_5.jpg

Lee Byung Hun played the role of a loyal intelligence chief, using both hard and soft tactics on Gwak who is about to expose secrets.  He often offered constructive advice to the President hoping he would not use force too often.  However, he was frequently ignored which ignited the rage within his heart.  Finally he had to resort to his best eavesdropping skills to understand the truth. Eventually, he fired a shot, and tried to hide the confusion in his heart.  When he was seated in the black car, his subordinates asked him where to go; his complex expression once again demonstrated his superb acting skills. 

Source:   https://www.koreastardaily.com/sc/news/125038

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

February 10, 2020

The Man Standing Next review | minsider

By jame AminoApps.com

Hello!

Jamie here with another #minsider review. Lee Byung-hun has been killing his game with some new movies with Ashfall and now The Man Standing Next. Today, I got to watch The Man Standing Next in the cinema. It’s honestly pretty good despite me not being a fan of very political movies where foreigners like me don’t really get native politics. Regardless, I have lots to uncover in this film. Let’s get onto the review.

Plot

Based on the real events of President Park Chung-hee’s assassination and also a novel based off of that, it focuses on the assassinator of a right-hand man and KCIA Director, Kim Gyu-pyeong, as he struggles to find the president’s support for his ideology of peace instead of military force. He also was involved in the disappearance of Park Yong-gak as well.

My Thoughts

First off, I would like to mention how great the cinematography looks on this film. I would even say it could be a great art film! Koreans really know what they’re doing when it comes to combining art techniques to unexpected genres. They mastered the art of cinematography with the use of political drama.

My favorite part about the cinematography of the film was the wide shots of landscapes that the characters were in and also the profile shots of when the characters were talking. They even managed to have the US Capital of Washington DC to be very bougie-like as well.

Other than the art film techniques that was used in the movie, they used the political aspect really well with the main character, Kim Gyu-pyeong. Despite me hating the fact that some directors can’t really hit the nail with political films since it gets all over the place with the ensemble cast, this film really does not go there as it pretty much focuses on one storyline, which is the assassinator of Park Chung-hee.

The main character is really well done as well since Kim Gyu-pyeong is not just any ordinary man who shot the president. He is actually the right-hand man of the president who fell out of favor due to his more peaceful negotiation ideas regarding the rioting citizens of Korea. He often struggled with his relationship of the President and the diplomatic relationships of the US mixed in as well due to corruption in the government. Not only that, but he is also a man of justice as he tries to uncover the case behind the Koreagate scandal in the KCIA as well.

This film can manage a Julius Cesar assassination story so well with the constant struggle of a right-hand man killing the president. It also has some pretty inspiring symbolism as well. They really used DC well when Kim Gyu-pyeong and Park Yong-gak were standing to look at the Lincoln memorial, which connects to Lincoln’s assassination — first president to be assassinated in the US.

Other than that, the acting is pretty well done as we get to see some A-listers as well as some actors I’ve never seen before. Overall, I didn’t expect the movie to be so great with the successful combination of art and political film. Although a bit hard to understand at first, I would highly recommend it to some political nerds out there.

My Rating

9/10

I hope you enjoy my review of The Man Standing Next. Until then, see ya later. Buh-bye!

Art by catsenal_movie

• Like 2

March 28, 2020

'Perfect Sync' Renee Zellweger · Rami Malek… An actor who played a real character

Source: MaxMovie.com (disclaimer: Google-translate)

[Max Movie = Reporter Jung Chan-hyuk] An actor is a person who acts as a character in a play. Actors add their own expressions and interpretations to breathe life into characters trapped in text. Actors, who become adult soldiers and sometimes become villains of villain, feel a lot of pressure when acting as poisonous real people. If everyone knows, there are limitations in expressing the character newly because there is an accurate comparison target. Nevertheless, great actors summon characters over the screen across the ages.

20200326_m_jch_100004.jpg

Renee Zellweger from the movie Judy. Photo First Run

Renee Zellweger, who is familiar with 'Jerry McGuire', 'Bridget Jones' Diary', 'Chicago', and 'Cold Mountain', was transformed into a Hollywood legend actor and singer Judy Garland, and was highly praised. The film highlights the last London show that Judy Garland performed six months before she passed away. Renee Zellweger passed the heyday, delicately expressing the feelings of a person full of emptiness, and with the praise of the media, she won the Best Actress Awards, including the 77th Golden Globe and the 92nd Academy.

Spoiler

Renee Zellweger began training with a vocal coach a year before the official rehearsal. Renee Zellweger continued to study and listen to Judy Garland singing and speaking. In addition to singing, Renee Zellweger mastered the distinctive accents and tone and movement of the voices used in the performances. Renee Zellweger was about the same age as Judy Garland performed in London. Renee Zellweger has a look similar to Judy Garland with special makeup and weight loss. The costumes and makeup team investigated Judy Garland's hairstyle and makeup to find out what suited Renee Zellweger. The costumes on the stage and the usual costumes were completely different. From the gorgeous pattern suits worn at London concerts, the costumes worn at Mickey Dunn's wedding ceremony were also reproduced.

From appearance to song and voice tone, Renee Zellweger became a perfect Judy Garland, and she was amazed by her acting as if seeing Judy Garland herself, from small actions to sitting. Director Rupert Gould admires Renee Zellweger's expressiveness, which perfectly describes the appearance of Judy Garland, whose life was bent.

20200326_m_jch_100006.jpg
The movie 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Radic Malek Still Photo 20th Century Fox Korea Co., Ltd.

'Bohemian Rhapsody', which made the Queen fever in South Korea in 2018, was fully transformed into Ramie Malek as Queen Vocal Freddie Mercury. 'Bohemian Rhapsody' tells the story of an immigrant who was working as an airport baggage worker and raised a dream of music, rocking the world with the legendary rock band Queen's vocalist Freddie Mercury. The movie can enjoy more than 20 Queen's masterpieces and various stages. Stages completed with high synchro rates also produced numerous parody.

Spoiler

'Bohemian Rhapsody' attracted attention from the vocalist Freddie Mercury to guitarist Brian May (Gwilym Lee), bassist John Deacon (Joseph Magello), and drummer Roger Taylor (Ben Hardy) as if they were watching real members. Rami Malek was helped by a movement coach to fully represent the actual Freddie Mercury gesture. His usual posture, performance performance, gait, etc. were perfectly realized by referring to various videos on Queen's performance and Freddie Mercury.

"I tried to figure out the subject of Queen's song, put it in my life and get to know him," said Rami Malek. In the film, Rami Malek expressed Freddie Mercury's innate talents and passions, star stars, immigrants, bisexuals, and complexes. Rami Malek, who moved legendary vocals and his performances to the screen, won the 91st Academy Award for Best Actor and the 76th Golden Globe for Best Actor for 'Bohemian Rhapsody'.

Unlike Freddie Mercury, who died, Brian May, who is still active, spoke directly of his feelings for Gwilym Lee. Brian May acknowledged the high sync rate by saying, "I thought I was looking in the mirror the first time I went to the set and watched Gwilym Lee." After watching the Queen's stage in the movie, he admired, "It was amazing to capture the members' unique atmosphere and performance style perfectly."

20200326_m_jch_100005.jpg
Lee Byung-hun still in the movie 'The Directors of Namsan'. Photo Showbox

In Korea, Lee Byung Hun, Lee Sung Min and Lee Hee Jun played the actual figures in the movie 'Chiefs of Namsan' recently. Also known as 'The Man Standing Next' is a film about the 40 days before the assassination of the South Korean President by the Central Intelligence Agency Chief in the late 1970s. Based on the non-fiction of the same name written by Dong-A Ilbo reporter Kim Chung Sik, who wrote about the reality of the Central Intelligence Agency and the October 26 incident at the time of Park Jung Hee's regime.

The film deals with real events, but adds a cinematic imagination and does not include the names of real people. Kim Kyu Pyeong, played by Lee Byung Hun, is actually Kim Jae Gyu, the head of the Central Intelligence Agency, former president Park Jung Hee (President Park played by Lee Sung Min), former KCIA Chief Park Hyeong Wook (Park Yong Gak played by Kwak Do Won) and Cha Ji Cheol (Kwak Sang Cheon played by Lee Hee Jun), the security chief officer.

The film embodied much of the atmosphere of real people, such as Kim Jae Gyu, Cha Ji Cheol and former President Park Jung Hee. Lee Byung Hun often turns his bangs in the movie, which is also a habit of a real person.

At the media premiere, Lee Byung Hun said, “I really realized that acting a real person is a more difficult task.” "I tried to show the emotions of the characters based solely on the scenario." Lee Sung Min surprised everyone by utilizing the characteristics of former President Park Jung Hee in a completely different atmosphere. Lee Sung Min even had a silicone ear put on, acting with make-up tooth that could be seen protruding. It was implemented with reference to gait, posture, and hand shape. Lee Hee Jun showed enthusiasm such as gaining weight by 25kg for his work.

Reporter Chan-hyuk Jung hyuck2777@maxmovie.com

• Like 2

• Guest changed the title to [Movie 2020] The Man Standing Next / Chiefs of Namsan, 남산의 부장들
  • 2 weeks later...

Artwork and review by Movie Share (by. Akuk) (Disclaimer: Google-translate)

"Actor Lee Byung-hun, who has no expression, but showed great acting in his emotions. "

October Korea's assassination case in October 1979 ', directed by Woo Min-ho, who directed 'Insiders', would be one of the most important events in the history of the Korean Peninsula.

The film focuses on showing the emotional moments of characters rather than stories.

In other words, rather than highlighting the story of a fight that is valued for right and wrong that the story unfolds as the center, or the historical fact that we did not know, we are concentrating on the emotion that the character of 'Kyu-pyeong Kim' killed the president. .

It would be nice to say that the movie does not show the process of solving a problem, but rather the process of an event. .

Among the roles played by Lee Byung-hun, the story centers on a character named Gyu-pyeong Kim, and other characters appearing in this role play a role in changing the emotions of the character Kim Gyu-pyeong or giving new ideas.

While keeping one's intentions in line with the position of the head of the Central Intelligence Agency, he conveys the anger and various emotions boiling in himself to the audience through subtle movements and facial expressions.

Rather than evaluating history, the movie focuses on what the characters at the time might have, so you might think that anyone can see it. 

And the viewers who watched the movie that evaluates the right and wrong of the person's actions will be their part.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

KoreaTimes: Baeksang Arts Awards to take place on June 5 without audience

The 56th Baeksang Arts Awards [Nominations]

Source:  http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=23771765

The Baeksang Arts Awards, honouring outstanding achievements in South Korean film and TV industries, will be held on June 5th behind closed doors.

Spoiler

The 56th BaekSang Arts Awards 제56회 백상예술대상

8C9B9FEC-12C8-40F2-BB6B-8CF0D43C27A1.jpg

Official SNS: [ homepage | instagram | facebook | youtube ]
Location: KINTEX (Korea International Exhibition Center) at Ilsan, Goyang City, Gyeonggi Province
Date & Time: June 5, 2020 (Friday) at 4:50pm (Korean time)
Broadcast: JTBC | JTBC2 | JTBC4
MCs: Shin Dong-yup, Suzy, Park Bo-gum

=========

TV Section 
=========

Grand Prize 대상

Best Drama 작품상 (드라마)

040FF446-4C82-4BD3-B34F-CB8F2766803D.jpg
When the Camellia Blooms 동백꽃 필 무렵 (KBS2)
Crash Landing on You 사랑의 불시착 (tvN)
Hot Stove League 스토브리그 (SBS)
Kingdom 2  킹덤2 (Netflix)
Hyena 하이에나 (SBS)

Best Entertainment/Variety Program 작품상 (예능)

396A4957-3039-43E7-9AC6-CA59E609AEB0.jpg
MBC 'Where is My Home? 구해줘 홈즈'
MBC 'Hangout with Yoo 놀면 뭐하니?'
SBS 'Delicious Rendezvous 맛남의 광장'
TV Chosun 'Mr. Trot 내일은 미스터트롯'
tvN 'New Journey to the West spin-off 신서유기 외전'

Best Educational/Cultural Show 작품상  (교양)

7E5F3A95-C968-4CC6-84AE-0953A21E0523.jpg
KBS 1TV 'Documentary Insight - Archive Project Modern Korea'
tvN 'The Page Turners 요즘책방 : 책 읽어드립니다'
EBS 'Giant Peng TV | 자이언트펭TV'
MBC 'PD Note 검찰기자단'
SBS 'Special Yohan, Ssi-Dol, Yonghyun -요한 씨돌 용현'

Best PD/Director 연출상

4CEE481C-61C5-4A0D-A151-0FF31F27B46F.jpg
Kim Sung-yoon 김성윤  (Itaewon Class 이태원 클라쓰)
Mo Wan-il 모완일 (The World of the Married 부부의 세계)
Lee Jung-hyo 이정효 (Crash Landing on You 사랑의 불시착)
Jung Dong-yoon 정동윤 (Hot Stove League 스토브리그)
Cha Young-hoon 차영훈 (When the Camellia Blooms 동백꽃 필 무렵) 

Best Script 극본

3859A863-B9C0-4E66-9C62-27C016CED622.jpg
Kim Roo-ri 김루리 (Hyena 하이에나)
Park Ji-eun 박지은 (Crash Landing on You 사랑의 불시착)
Lee Shin-hwa 이신화 (Hot Stove League 스토브리그)
Lee Woo-jung 이우정 (Hospital Playlist 슬기로운 의사생활)
Lim Sang-choon 임상춘 (When the Camellia Blooms 동백꽃 필 무렵)

Technical Award 예술상

81103ED5-F4EA-4B6A-845B-71E22A2738ED.jpg
Kim Nam-sik  김남식 & Ryu Gun-hee 류건희 (Kingdom 2 / visual effects)
Kim Ji-soo 김지수 (Pegasus Market 쌉니다 천리마마트 / art direction 미술)
Park Sung-il 박섬일 (Itaewon Class 이태원 클라쓰 / music 옴악)
Park Ji-hyun 박지현 (You Quiz on the Block 유 퀴즈 온 더 블럭 / VJ . cinematography 촬영)
Jang Yeon-ok 장연옥 (The Great Escape 3 대탈출 3 / art direction 미술)

Best Leading Actor 최우수연기상 (남)

3741AD15-DFB9-4229-B32F-A00F0A4E7AB6.jpg
Kang Ha-neul 강하늘 (KBS2 When the Camellia Blooms 동백꽃 필 무렵)
Nam Goong-min 남궁민 (SBS Hot Stove League 스토브리그)
Park Seo-joon 박서준 (JTBC Itaewon Class 이태원 클라쓰)
Joo Ji-hoon 주지훈 (SBS Hyena 하이에나)
Hyun Bin 현빈 (tvN Crash Landing on You 사랑의 불시착)

Best Leading Actress 최우수연기상 (여)

73DBEC3B-FBF2-4833-8342-CCB974747902.jpg
Gong Hyo-jin 공효진 (KBS2 When the Camellia Blooms 동백꽃 필 무렵)
Kim Hye-soo 김혜수 (SBS Hyena 하이에나)
Kim Hee-ae 김희애 (JTBC The World of the Married 부부의 세계)
Son Ye-jin 손예진 (tvN Crash Landing on You 사랑의 불시착)
Lee Ji-eun 이지은 (tvN Hotel del Luna 호텔 델루나)

Best Supporting Actor 조연상 (남)

8C0AC612-1EBE-45BD-B65F-9B47F40B87C6.jpg
Kim Young-min 김영민 (JTBC The World of the Married 부부의 세계)
Yang Kyung-won 양경원 (tvN Crash Landing on You 사랑의 불시착)
Oh Jung-se 오정세 (KBS2 When the Camellia Blooms 동백꽃 필 무렵)
Yoo Jae-myung 유재명 (JTBC Itaewon Class 이태원 클라쓰)
Jeon Seok-ho 전석호 (SBS Hyena 하이에나)

Best Supporting Actress 조연상 (여)

34CC88BC-32D5-4603-8E3E-C7085B43D255.jpg
Kwon Na-ra 권나라 (JTBC Itaewon Class 이태원 클라쓰)
Kim Sun-young 김선영 (tvN Class Landing on You 사랑의 불시착)
Seo Ji-hye 서지혜 (tvN (Crash Landing on You 사랑의 불시착)
Son Dam-bi 손담비 (KBS2 When the Camellia Blooms 동백꽃 필 무렵)
Yum Hye-ran 염혜란 (KBS2 When the Camellia Blooms 동백꽃 필 무렵)

Best New Actor  신인연기상 (남)

EB24E644-2567-4ED2-83AB-7B29E2B9D488.jpg
Kim Kang-hoon 김강훈 (KBS2 When the Camellia Blooms 동백꽃 필 무렵)
Ahn Bo-hyun 안보현 (JTBC Itaewon Class 이태원 클라쓰)
Ahn Hyo-seop 안효섭 (SBS Dr. Romantic 2 낭만닥터 김사부2)
Ong Sung-woo 옹성우 (JTBC At Eighteen 열여덟의 순간)
Lee Jae-wook 이재욱 (MBC Extraordinary You 어쩌다 발견한 하루)

Best New Actress 신인연기상 (여)

5613D1EB-35EE-4C5C-862D-723A4525C994.jpg
Kim Da-mi 김다미 (JTBC Itaewon Class 이태원 클라쓰)
Jeon Mi-do 전미도 (tvN Hospital Playlist 슬기로운 의사생활)
Jeon Yeo-bin 전여빈 (JTBC Melo is My Nature 멜로가 체질)
Jung Ji-so 정지소 (tvN The Cursed 방법)
Han So-hee 한소희 (The World of the Married 부부의 세계)

Best Male Variety Performer  예능상 (남)

CF119B0F-A0A9-4213-BD9B-8A975B62A594.jpg
Kim Sung-joo 김성주 (TV Chosun ‘ Mr. Trot 내일은 미스터트롯')
Kim Hee-chul 김희철 (JTBC 'Knowing Bros 아는 형님')
Moon Se-yoon 문세윤(KBS 2TV '1 Night 2 Days Season 4 | 1박 2일 시즌4')
Yoo Jae-suk 유재석 (MBC 'Hangout with Yoo 놀면 뭐하니?')
Jang Sung-gyu 장성규 (JTBC 'Movie Room 방구석 1열') 

Best Female Variety Performer  예능상 (여)

B9B37670-5D4D-4678-A841-8F1067E852C0.jpg
Kim Min-kyung 김민경 (ComedyTV 'Delicious Guys 맛있는 녀석들')
Park Na-rae 박나래 (MBC 'I Live Alone 나 혼자 산다')
Ahn Young-mi 안영미 (MBC 'Radio Star 라디오스타')
Jang Do-yeon 장도연 (OLIVE 'Bob Bless You 밥블레스유')
Hong Hyun-hee 홍현희 (TV Chosun 'Wife’s Taste 아내의 맛')

===========
FILM Section
===========

Grand Prize 대상

Best Film 작품상

6F68CA1F-DA76-4C2D-9504-6A817583FFCC.jpg
Parasite 기생충
The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들
House of Hummingbird 벌새
Exit 엑시트
Kim Ji-Young: Born 1982 82년생 김지영

Best Director 감독상

FDB22AC6-5001-425F-9D2C-7D676ECCEF0E.jpg
Kim Bora 김보라 (House of Hummingbird 벌새)
Bong Joon-ho 봉준호 (Parasite 기생충)
Woo Min-ho 우민호 (The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들)
Lee Jong-un 이종언 (Birthday 생일)
Jung Ji-young 정지영 (Black Money 블랙머니)

Best Screenplay 시나리오상

434B3192-53A5-4AA5-A29B-FD3C9AB11018.jpg
Bong Joon-ho 봉준호 & Han Jin-won 한진원 (Parasite 기생충)
Woo Min-ho 우민호 & Lee Ji-min 이지민 (The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들)
Lee Sang-geun 이상근 (Exit 엑시트)
Lim Dae-hyung 임대형 (Moonlit Winter 윤희에게)

Technical Award 예술상

77C30DC5-205E-4669-A264-E7E29AE2D231.jpg
Lee Ha-joon 이하준 (Parasite 기생충 / art direction 미술)
Hong Kyung-pyo 홍경표 (Parasite 기생충 / cinematography 촬영)
Kim Seo-hee 김서희 (The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들 / makeup 분장)
Kim Young-ho 김영호 (The Battle: Roar to Victory 봉오동 전투 / cinematography 촬영)
Yoon Jin-yool 윤진율 (Exit 엑시트 / action 액션)

Best New Director 신인 감독상

30859BAC-6573-4099-B420-B68F424A2923.jpg
Kang Sang-woo 강상우 (Kim-Gun 김군)
Kim Do-young 김도영 (Kim Ji-Young: Born 1982 82년생 김지영)
Kim Kyoung-hee 김초희 (Lucky Chan-sil 찬실이는 복도 많지)
Lee Sang-geun 이상근 (Exit 엑시트)

Best Leading Actor 최우수연기상 (남)

FD4E437F-B5C7-441D-AE70-36F4409E0093.jpg
Song Kang-ho 송강호 (Parasite 기생충)
Lee Byung-hun 이병헌 (The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들)
Lee Je-hoon 이제훈 (Time to Hunt 사냥의 시간)
Jo Jung-suk 조정석 (Exit 엑시트)
Han Seok-gyu 한석규 (Forbidden Dream 천문: 하늘에 묻는다)

Best Leading Actress 최우수연기상 (여)

FEE13CBB-DF5F-4FBB-A4B6-60A04C52FBDF.jpg
Kim So-jin 김소진 (Another Child 미성년)
Kim Hee-ae 김희애 (Moonlit Winter 윤희에게)
Jeon Do-yeon 전도연 (Birthday 생일)
Jung Yu-mi 정유미 (Kim Ji-Young: Born 1982 82년생 김지영)
Jo Yeo-jung 조여정 (Parasite 기생충)

Best Supporting Actor 조연상 (남)

372AD712-0895-42D3-84A0-A1FDAEFF654D.jpg
Kim Young-min 김영민 (Lucky Chan-sil 찬실이는 복도 많지)
Park Myung-hoon 박명훈 (Parasite 기생충)
Won Hyun-joon 원현준 (The Divine Move 2: The Wrathful 신의 한 수: 귀수편)
Lee Kwang-soo 이광수 (Inseparable Bros  나의 특별한 형제)
Lee Hee-joon 이희준 (The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들)

Best Supporting Actress 조연상 (여)

5B8BBBC3-F199-41E7-80B1-6A3DB7C0DC3B.jpg
Kim Kook-hee 김국희 (Tune in for Love 유열의 음악앨범)
Kim Mi-kyung 김미경 (Kim Ji-Young: Born 1982 82년생 김지영)
Kim Sae-byuk 김새벽 (House of Hummingbird 벌새)
Park So-dam 박소담 (Parasite 기생충)
Lee Jung-eun 이정은 (Parasite 기생충)

Best New Actor  신인연기상 (남)
F9C768DF-7068-4525-8EF0-50996B88497C.jpg
Park Myung-hoon 박명훈 (Parasite 기생충)
Park Hae-soo 박해수  (Time to Hunt 사냥의 시간)
Park Hyung-sik 박형식 (Juror 8 배심원들)
Ahn Ji-ho 안지호 (A Boy and Sungreen 보희와 녹양)
Jung Hae-in 정해인 (Tune in for Love 유열의 음악앨범)

Best New Actress 신인연기상 (여)

0ED2CF63-739B-4D61-84D5-140DC504CDC8.jpg
Kang Mal-geum 강말금 (Lucky Chan-sil 찬실이는 복도 많지)
Kim So-hye 김소혜 (Moonlit Winter 윤희에게)
Kim Hye-joon 김혜준 (Another Child 미성년)
Park Ji-hoo 박지후 (House of Hummingbird 벌새)
Jang Hye-jin 장혜진 (Parasite 기생충)

==============

THEATER Section
==============

백상 연극상
9C85F419-327C-4663-82D9-7C9C26C95358.jpg
신유청 (그을린 사랑/연출)
스푸트니크 (작품)
이연주 (이게 마지막이야/작가)
휴먼 푸가 (작품)

젊은 연극상
2890B68C-25A5-4D31-8947-C926E1806119.jpg
0set 프로젝트 (사랑 및 우정에서의 차별금지 및 권리구제에 관한 법률/극단)
강훈구 (진짜 진짜 마지막 황군/연출)
송이원 (신토불이 진품명품/연출)
윤혜숙 (우리는 이 도시에 함께 도착했다/연출)
지미 세르 (그을린 사랑/음악,음향)

남자 최우수 연기상

0A1CF574-7146-4532-908B-53E7C877899F.jpg

김원영 (사랑 및 우정에서의 차별금지 및 권리구제에 관한 법률)
백석광 (와이프 WIFE)
임영준 (너에게)

여자 최우수 연기상

6CC89029-FB6F-414D-AB8B-F04D37F6EC25.jpg

김신록 (녹천에는 똥이 많다)
김정 (로테르담)
이리 (7번국도)
이주영 (그을린 사랑)
이지현 (이게 마지막이야)

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————

KoreaHerald: Chunsa Film Art Awards will be held in June

[March 9, 2020] The organizers of the Chunsa Film Art Awards on Monday announced that the festival, originally scheduled to take place in April, will now be held in June....Meanwhile, the Korea Film Directors’ Society also announced the list of nominees for this year’s Chunsa Art Awards on Monday. The list includes 24 Korean films nominated in 10 categories, with action film “Exit” receiving the most nominations with six nods, and “The Man Standing Next,” “Forbidden Dream” and indie film “House of Hummingbird” each nominated in five categories.

The 25th Chunsa Film Arts Awards [Nominations]

Source: http://www.chunsa.or.kr/award2.html?cate=award2

Best Director 감독상
Woo Min-ho 우민호 (The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들)
Jung Ji-young 정지영 (Black Money 블랙머니)
Won Shin-yun 원신연 (The Battle: Roar to Victory 봉오동 전투)
Jung Ji-woo 정지우 (Tune in for Love 유열의 음악앨범)
Lim Dae-hyung 임대형 (Moonlit Winter 윤희에게)
Hur Jin-ho 허진호 (Forbidden Dream 천문)

Best New Director 신인 감독상
Kim Seung-woo 김승우 (Bring Me Home 나를 찾아줘)
Yi Ok-seop 이옥섭 (Maggie 메기)
Kim Bora 김보라 (House of Hummingbird 벌새)
Han Ka-ram 한가람 (Our Body 아워바디)
Lee Sang-geun 이상근 (Exit 엑시트)
Kim Do-young 김도영 (Kim Ji-Young: Born 1982 82년생 김지영)

Best Screenplay 각본상
Kim Bora 김보라 (House of Hummingbird 벌새)
Lee Sang-geun 이상근 (Exit 엑시트)
Yoon Ga-eun 윤가은 (The House of Us 우리집)
Lim Dae-hyung 임대형 (Moonlit Winter 윤희에게)
Jung Bum-shik 정범식 (Forbidden Dream 천문)

Technical Award 기술상
Kim Young-ho 김영호 | cinematography 촬영 (The Battle: Roar to Victory 봉오동 전투)
Dexter 덱스터 | special effects 특수 효과 (Ashfall 백두산)
Kang Kook-hyun 강국현 | cinematography 촬영 (House of Hummingbird 벌새)
Kim Il-yeon 김일연 | cinematography 촬영 (Exit 엑시트)
Jo Hwa-sung 조화성 | art direction 미술 (Forbidden Dream 천문)

Best Actor 남우주연상
Song Kang-ho 송강호 (The King’s Letter 나랏말싸미)
Lee Byung-hun 이병헌 (The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들)
Yoo Hae-jin 유해진 (The Battle: Roar to Victory 봉오동 전투)
Jo Jung-suk 조정석 (Exit 엑시트)
Han Seok-gyu 한석규 (Forbidden Dream 천문)

Best Actress 여우주연상
Lee Young-ae 이영애 (Bring Me Home 나를 찾아줘)
Yoona 윤아 (Exit 엑시트)
Kim Go-eun 김고은 (Tune in for Love 유열의 음악앨범)
Kim Hee-ae 김희애 (Moonlit Winter 윤희에게)
Jung Yu-mi 정유미 (Kim Ji-Young: Born 1982 82년생 김지영)

Best Supporting Actor 남우조연상
Kang Ki-young 강기영 (Crazy Romance 가장 보통의 연애)
Lee Sung-min 이성민 (The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들)
Lee Hee-joon 이희준 (The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들)
Shin Goo 신구 (Forbidden Dream 천문)
Woo Hyun 우현 (Tazza: One-Eyed Jacks 타짜)

Best Supporting Actress 여우조연상
Kim So-jin 김소진 (The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들)
Kim Sae-byuk 김새벽 (House of Hummingbird 벌새)
Go Doo-shim 고두심 (Exit 엑시트)
Kim Kook-hee 김국희 (Tune in for Love 유열의 음악앨범)
Kim Mi-kyung 김미경 (Kim Ji-Young: Born 1982 82년생 김지영)

Best New Actor 신인남우상
Yoo Teo 유태오 (Vertigo 버티고)
Woo Do-hwan 우도환 (The Divine Fury 사자)
Kim Sung-cheol 김성철 (The Battle of Jangsari 장사리)
Park Hae-soo 박해수  (By Quantum Physics: A Nightlife Venture 양자물리학)
Jung Hae-in 정해인 (Tune in for Love 유열의 음악앨범)

Best New Actress 신인여우상
Won Jin-a 원진아 (Long Live the King 롱 리브 더 킹)
Jo Yi-hyun 조이현 (Metamorphosis 변신)
Park Ji-hoo 박지후 (House of Hummingbird 벌새)
Choi Sung-eun 최성은 (Start-Up 시동)
Kim Na-yeon 김나연 The House of Us (우리집)
Kim So-hye 김소혜 (Moonlit Winter 윤희에게)

———————

• Like 2

On 2/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, rubie said:

The Real THE MAN STANDING NEXT 

Kim Jae Gyu (Wikipedia)

February 4, 2020

Chief of Namsan Kim Jae Gyu's Bereaved Family

Source: JoongAng Daily, our thanks to mistymorning for the English gist

THE MAN STANDING NEXT depicting Kim Jae Gyu's human anguish.

The first line from his sister after watching the movie, saying "I couldn't look away, as a grandma over 80 year old. Felt pain thinking what was in my brother's heart then... after watching, my legs were trembling, thinking about then."so, his sister (the third sister) and her husband, and their son (his nephew) watched the movie and said "(the movie) had torments of human Kim Jae Gyu, better than we expected." "(we are) thankful that this becomes the chance that people can look back on the case after 40 years "

Caring and calm, the military life was long within him. As in the movie, the habit of sweeping the bangs repeatedly came from the usual neat and tidy personality. As the eldest sibling, he often told us to live right. However, a (sniper) plan has never been detected. Whom do you discuss such a plan with? ”

- truncated - 

I had goosebumps reading this..

I have not seen Man Standing Next.. will try to find a way to see it!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

June 5, 2020

Congratulations to Lee Byung Hun for winning the Best Actor Award  at the 56th Baeksang Arts Awards for his portrayal in "The Man Standing Next"   A very well deserved win!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

June 17, 2020 

The Man Standing Next is one of the selection from South Korea For Far East Film Festival in Udine, Italy. It is one of the most important events promoting Asian cinema in Europe. It focuses mainly on films from East Asia. 

https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/udine-asian-festival-lineup-online-edition-1234625227/

Udine Asian Festival to Open Online Edition With Korea’s ‘Ashfall’

By Patrick Frater

Korean disaster action film has been set as the opening movie of the Far East Film Festival in Udine. Due to coronavirus and social distancing measures still in place in Italy, the festival will be held entirely online this year.

The festival is normally held in late April and early May. This time it will run June 26-July 4 with a slightly reduced selection of 46 films from East Asia.

The festival will be hosted on the MyMovies.it online platform. Organizers explained that some titles will be available worldwide, some only in Europe and some exclusively in Italy. They include 4 world premieres, 12 international premieres, 10 European premieres and 17 Italian premieres.

Organizers have arranged the line up in a loose daily schedule, but say that they have “also left open the possibility of choosing independently when to watchmovies by accessing the on-demand section.” And only 3 of the 46 titles (the previously announced “I WeirDo,” “My Prince Edward” and Derek Kwok’s surprise hit “Better Days”) will be shown exclusively in the time slot indicated in the schedule.

Other titles selected include the previously announced martial arts epic “Ip Man 4: The Finale,” Johnnie To’smusical latest film “Chasing Dream” and Chinese disaster action drama “The Captain.”

Special sections include: a tribute to the late Obayashi Nobuhiko, whose final film, the 180 minute, “Labyrinth of Cinema” the festival pitches as his final eccentric masterpiece: and a four film springboard for Japanese stylist Watanabe Hirobumi.

Nine titles from Japan include the world premiere of sports comedy “#HandballStrive,” “Dance With Me” and sex toy drama “Romance Doll.”

The 10-film Korean presence also includes “The Man Standing Next,” sexy crime thriller “Beasts Clutching atStraws,” and “Crazy Romance.” Released theatrically in December, “Ashfall” follows events that follow the sudden eruption of a volcano. It stars Lee Byung Hun, Ha Jung-woo and Ma Dong-seok, and this week earned Lee a best actor prize at the Golden Bell Awards.

Two films from Indonesia are both directed by Joko Anwar: “Impetigore” and modern superhero saga“Gundala.”

• Like 1