[Movie 2020] The Man Standing Next 남산의 부장들

rubie

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Movie 2020] The Man Standing Next / Chiefs of Namsan 남산의 부장들 - Lee Byung Hun, Lee Sung Min, Kwak Do Won, Lee Hee Jun - Premieres on January 22nd

January 15, 2020

Press Preview: New movie 'The Man Standing Next'

New movie 'The Man Standing Next'

Cast members of the new movie "The Man Standing Next" pose for a photo during a press preview at a Seoul theater on Jan. 15, 2020. From left are Kwak Do-won, Lee Sung-min, Lee Byung-hun and Lee Hee-joon. The flick, which is about plots between former and incumbent spy agency chiefs during the 1970s in South Korea, will hit local screens on Jan. 22. (Yonhap)

0926743a-201d-476a-aa65-dcac7cb7bf1d.jpg

99241047.4.jpg

Sports Donga

• Like 3

Watch the clip at Park Kyungrim Official

A DAY WITH Park Kyung Rim: THE MAN STANDING NEXT

“The Man Standing Next” will be released on January 22, 2020.
The Chiefs of Namsan is about the 40 days before the assassination of the president of South Korea in 1979.
Thank you for your attention and support ~

• Like 3

January 15, 2020

Lee Byung Hun, Kwak Do-won and Lee Hee-joon were interviewed by an Australian journalist in Korean for the movie "The Man Standing Next".  

This is one of the funniest you tube clips that I have ever seen.  LOL

Source:   A LBH fan in Hong Kong sent it to me.

•  
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

January 16, 2020

A short excerpt from the Press Preview (A translation) 

99241077.4.jpg

LBH = Lee Byung Hun 

LSH = Lee Sung Min

Q:  What are the box office expectations for the movie to be released before the New Year holidays? 

LBH:  I think the film is suitable for all ages, whether the people who know the events at that time, or the younger generation who has heard the story but seemed very distant to them.  After seeing the movie, there are  plenty of topics to discuss.  In respect of the box office, “The closet” will be released at the same time.  Ah, will that be the biggest “Obstacle”? 

LSM:  Well... Movies have to be varied... Fortunately, the two films are completely different in genre, and both will be good    I watched “The Man Standing Next”   for the first time today.  It is very interesting and a Well-Made movie.  Although the story is old, for those who remembered the story, they will find it very interesting.  This movie has a completely different point of view from previous movies and TV dramas;  it has a unique perspective.  It will generate all kinds of dialogue and is a very interesting movie.  I think a lot of people will see it. 

Source:   https://www.weibo.com/tv/v/IpDDJubSa?fid=1034:4461105238441995

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

January 16, 2020

Another short excerpt from the Press Preview (A translation) 

20200116.jpg

WMH = Director Woo MIn Ho
LBH = Lee Byung Hun

WMH:  This is the second work that I have collaborated with Lee Byung Hun Sunbae.  Compare to the first work, this is more comfortable.  However, in contrast to “Inside Men”  the shooting is more intense.   I also communicated a lot with Sunbae.  I did not see this type of facial expression on his face in ”Inside Men”;  he has mastered the role of Kim Kyu Pyeong.  I feel so blessed.  

LBH:  This time,  there is no need to have a mutual adaptation process with the director.   It is more comfortable than shooting “Inside Men.”  The director was originally a passionate person.   When the time of shooting “Inside Men” the director expressed his emotions of happiness and anger.  This time the director was very calm. The shooting coincided wiith the release of “Drug King”.  Was it because it was not so perfect that he became calm.  Haha haha,  the director's personality changed a lot.

Source:  https://www.weibo.com/tv/v/IpDda9ahJ?fid=1034:4461088549306373

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Source: SHOWBOX

That's what true believers gather for.
#You can see the energy just by looking at the name

tmsn20200114.jpg

Watch the special talks on 
Lotte Cinema #Live Chat 

Special SNS #Event 
After watching the premiere of THE MAN STANDING NEXT
Mandatory hashtags #남산의부장들 #Released on January 22
And upload your certified photo to your personal SNS!
Winners will receive the Namsan Package including Banyan Tree Club & Spa Hotel Vouchers through the lottery!

• Like 3

They had a preview recently, reviews from press and people are so great. Really so far I can get from usual movie review site and all, most of them like this movie. They're saying WMH hit farther than the Inside men. This move comes out very dry, editing got much better than the last closed viewing.

This review clip is in english, with a US professor who lived in Korea during 60-70s. He's providing some background information for this movie. 

Honestly I am so excited about this movie. Can't wait to watch it. (Jan-22 is the release date set in Korea)

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

On 1/15/2020 at 10:37 PM, peonie said:

January 15, 2020

Lee Byung Hun, Kwak Do-won and Lee Hee-joon were interviewed by an Australian journalist in Korean for the movie "The Man Standing Next".  

This is one of the funniest you tube clips that I have ever seen.  LOL

Thanks so much for this TMSN vs The Korean Englishman clip link. Totally agree that it's the funniest interview clip we've seen so far. It's strange at first that they let the not-so fluent guy to conduct the interview instead the other one but LBH, KDW and LHJ were really cool and super sporting about it. It's just so funny and the usually serious interview mood is filled with laughter plus we get to see the mukbang we wanted to see.. Byunghun eating the Isaac toast. He was hesitating at first when KDW ate his straightaway.. but could not resist it after that. Everyone do watch the clip at the youtube page and read the comments there.. they're really good & positive about the actors. It's really not the usual movie interview we're so used to seeing, quite the clever promo by Showbox.. Bravo! http://timelesslbh.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/kaoani_whiteball_01.gif

Photo: Korean Englishman

tmsn20200115.jpg

• Like 3

THE MAN STANDING NEXT

Press Preview & Stage Greeting on Wednesday (1/15)

Published on January 15, 2020 by Supervicon Studio

Source: The ChosunIlbo via HanCinema.net

Good to see Lee Sung Min joining the event this time, he was absent from the first press conference.

photo1143090.jpg

Kwak Do-won, Lee Sung-min, Lee Byung-hun and Lee Hee-joon pose at a preview of their new film "The Man Standing Next" in Seoul on Wednesday.

photo1143089.jpg

Director Woo Min-ho, Kwak Do-won, Lee Sung-min, Lee Byung-hun and Lee Hee-joon

photo1143088.jpg

Lee Byung-hun

• Like 2

Watch clip at Showbox, thanks to mistymorning for the message translation

Hello everyone, this is Lee ByungHun who is Kim GyuPyung in the movie <The Man Standing Next>. <The Man Standing Next> is about 40 days before the assassination of President Park on 1979. This will be released on Jan. 22, 2020. Hope all of you can watch this movie.

"The Man Standing Next" is directed by Woo Min Ho, and features Lee Byung Hun, Lee Sung Min, Kwak Do Won, Lee Hee Jun, Kim So Jin, Kim Myung Sun.

Release date in Korea: 2020/01/22.

More Press Preview photos:

photo1143084.jpg

photo1143082.jpg

photo1143086.jpg

• Like 2

January 17, 2020

(Movie Review) 'The Man Standing Next' chronicles 1979 presidential assassination

By Kim Boram

A poster of "The Man Standing Next" provided by Showbox (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

A poster of "The Man Standing Next" provided by Showbox (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Jan. 17 (Yonhap) -- On Oct. 26, 1979, two gunshots changed modern Korean history. President Park Chung-hee, who had been in power for 18 years, was assassinated by Kim Jae-gyu, then director of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA) and considered No. 2 in the regime.

Park, who took the helm through a military coup in 1961, had sought to stay in power for good but lost his life to his most trusted and closest confidant and a key member of the military maneuver 18 years ago.

More than four decades have passed, but there has been a heated debate on Kim's motives. What made the second most powerful figure in the authoritative government pull the trigger on his boss and what was his real goal after the assassination and the power vacuum still remain unanswered.

A scene from "The Man Standing Next" provided by Showbox (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

A scene from "The Man Standing Next" provided by Showbox (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The political film "The Man Standing Next," directed by Woo Min-ho, looks through these unsolved questions by tracking the 40 days leading up to the Oct. 26 incident.

It is based on a nonfiction best-seller, "KCIA Chiefs," published from 1990 to 1992 in the Dong-A Ilbo newspaper. The book covers the beginning and the end of the KCIA, which was established by President Park after the coup in order to engage in pervasive surveillance of politicians, government officials and citizens.

But the movie focuses on the intricate power struggle among second-in-command characters that reaches its peak during the last 40 days of the Park regime.

Incumbent KCIA chief Kim Gyu-pyeong (Lee Byung-hun), who took office in 1976, is in fierce rivalry with chief presidential bodyguard Kwak Sang-cheon (Lee Hee-joon).

Gyu-pyeong increasingly feels that he is sidelined from the core of the political power as Sang-cheon has been winning more confidence of the president as time goes by.

The two men compete to stop former KCIA director Park Yong-gak (Kwak Do-won) from publishing a memoir to reveal the dirty deals of the Seoul government with U.S. lawmakers to maintain its autocracy.

Gyu-pyeong finally kills Yong-gak, his close friend who also participated in the 1961 coup, in a bid to capture the president's eye. But his action seems to be too late as the president has already turned a cold shoulder to his No. 2 official. There is only so much he can do.

The film closely follows the psychological changes in Gyu-pyeong's decadeslong loyalty to the president and the subtle transition of the balance of power in the presidential office on a daily basis, while the strongman gets more reliant on his rival and thinks of killing millions of democratic demonstrators.

Its emotional and psychological description of the characters and cliff-hanging storytelling make the predictable plot more interesting and entertaining. Even though the audience knows the ending, the movie compels them to sit on the edge of their seats for about two hours.

Moreover, there is no doubt in Lee Byung-hun's acting, whose expressive eyes and even face well portray the faint, subtle changes of Gyu-pyeong's determination.

"This movie doesn't display any political inclination or judge the merits and demerits of the historical figures," director Woo, who made the political crime action film "Inside Men" (2015), said in a press conference. "I just tried to show how the incident took place through the emotional and mental development of the key characters."

"The Man Standing Next" will hit local screens this coming Wednesday.

brk@yna.co.kr

• Like 2

January 17, 2020

'The Man Standing Next' dramatizes assassination of Korean dictator

From left, director Woo Min-ho, actors Kwak Do-won, Lee Sung-min, Lee Byung-hun and Lee Hee-jun pose for a photo during a press conference for new film 'The Man Standing Next' in Seoul, Wednesday. / Yonhap

From left, director Woo Min-ho, actors Kwak Do-won, Lee Sung-min, Lee Byung-hun and Lee Hee-jun pose for a photo during a press conference for new film "The Man Standing Next" in Seoul, Wednesday. / Yonhap

By Kwak Yeon-soo The Korea Times

Political thriller "The Man Standing Next" dramatizes the assassination of former Korean president and dictator Park Chung-hee, sparking a debate on how to interpret Park's legacy.

People remain sharply divided over the legacy of Park, who ruled the country for 18 years after taking power through a military coup in 1961. Some recall him as a brutal dictator who suppressed Korea's democracy, while others give him credit for accelerating the country's economic development.

"It's true that assassination of Park was a major event in the country's modern history, but I don't want politics to get in the way of assessing the film," Director Woo Min-ho said during a press conference for the film in Seoul, Wednesday.

"I want to let the audience decide whether the assassination was an act of high treason or revolution."

Set 40 days before President Park's assassination in 1979, the film unfolds a hidden story of the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA) and its political maneuvering in the 1970s. It also explores relationships and feuds between former and incumbent spy agency chiefs.

The KCIA chief Kim Gyu-pyeong, played by Lee Byung-hun, apparently becomes the second-in-command after former KCIA chief Park Yong-kak, played by Kwak Do-won, flees to the U.S. to testify against the Korean government.

However, Lee faces a power struggle as the chief officer of Presidential Security Service Kwang Sang-cheon, played by Lee Hee-jun, earns President Park's trust and outranks him.

The film was adapted from a journalist-turned-writer Kim Choong-sik's book with the same title.

"I first read the book in 1997 after being discharged from the army. I was amazed by how the author, then a journalist, dissects the story with an investigative mind," Woo said.

"After the film "Inside Men" became a hit, I contacted the author and expressed my desire to adapt this book into a screenplay."

At the press conference, Lee Byung-hun talked about the difficulty of playing a real-life character and filming close-up shots.

"It's pretty overwhelming to play a real-life character, who is so well-known," he said.

"Another challenging part was that there were a lot of close-up shots to allow the audience to focus on my character and emotions."

Lee Sung-min, who plays President Park, has been praised for his performance and many have noted his physical resemblance to former President Park.

"While shooting, I could feel the weight of history. I tried to stick to the authentic character as much as possible through voice, posture, fashion and prosthetic make-up," Lee said.

The film will hit local theaters on Jan. 22.

yeons.kwak@koreatimes.co.kr

• Like 2

January 17, 2020

Herald Interview] Lee Byung-hun talks about film on presidential assassination

By Choi Ji-won

Upcoming film “The Man Standing Next” goes back to the darkest period of Korea’s democracy, actor Lee Byung-hun said at a press event in Seoul on Friday.

Directed by Woo Min-ho, the movie tells the story of what may be the most shocking event of the 1970s and 1980s -- a presidential assasination. On Oct. 26, 1979, former President Park Chung-hee, who had been in power for 18 years, was killed by one of his closest confidants. 

AEN20200116008900315_01_i_P4.jpg

The film centers on the 40 days leading up to Park’s assassination. It is based on the non-fiction novel “Directors of Namsan” written by journalist Kim Choong-sik, who had covered the former president’s assassination.

Namsan was where the Korean Central Intelligence Agency -- currently the National Intelligence Service -- was located and represented centralized power during the military dictatorship. The journalist released his coverage as a series in a local newspaper in the 1990s.

In the film, actor Lee takes on the role of Kim Kyu-pyeong, a fictional character inspired by Kim Jae-gyu, who was the director of the CIA and the right-hand man of the president before he killed Park.

Although Park’s assassination has been the subject of multiple productions, Lee says “The Man Standing Next” is different in that it focuses not on the event’s political significance but on the relationships between characters and the changes in dynamics between them, telling the human side of the story.

The movie revolves around the period when longtime military dictator Park became obsessed with the loyalty of his staff. 

20200117000567_0.jpg

Kim Kyu-pyeong breaks down after hearing from former CIA Director Park Yong-gak -- played by Gwak Do-won -- that his position as second-in-command has been replaced.

Veteran actor Lee Sung-min stars as President Park, while Lee Hee-Joon takes the role of the head of the president’s security team. Kwak Sang-cheon who stands between the president and Kim Kyu-pyeong, tries to become the new right-hand man.

As Kim Jae-gyu remains a controversial figure, Lee Byung-hun says he tried to stick with the script as much as he could so that he would not distort the audience’s understanding of Kim.

“The public’s opinion on whether Kim had acted for the good of society or out of his personal feelings (against the president) is still very controversial, and the director and I wanted to make sure that this fact does not change even when people leave the cinema after watching the film,” he said.

To that end, Lee invested much time and effort in studying historical documents and information related to the incident, trying to get into character by understanding Kim Jae-gyu’s decisions and behavior.

In the movie, Lee’s emotions and words are restrained, reflecting Kim Kyu-pyeong’s psychology and sense of betrayal -- close to madness -- through tiny hints in facial expressions and behavior.

The conflict peaks at the climactic last scene where Kim is ready to kill the president.

“In the scene, like anyone in his shoes, Kim is not in his right mind, and I wanted the audience to be captivated by his madness,” Lee said. “I tried to show the momentary seconds when Kim comes back to reality in order to maximize the confusion and delusion that he is going through.”

Echoing the words of the film’s director, Lee said the interpretations of both the historical event and the movie are up to the audience.

By Choi Ji-won (jwc@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 3

January 17, 2020

USA: Korean Political Thriller "The Man Standing Next" Hits Theaters Jan. 24 (Buena Park), Jan. 31 (Los Angeles)

Source: HanCinema.net

photo1143965.jpg

Political thriller delves into the untold true story of scandal and intrigue in the Korean government

"The Man Standing Next", a South Korean political drama, will open at CGV Buena Park on January 24th and CGV Los Angeles on January 31st. The film tells the untold story of a 1970 scandal in the KCIA, the Korean Central Intelligence Agency, and is based on the non-fiction hit book "KCIA Chiefs".

In the 1970s, Korea is under absolute control of President PARK (Lee Sung-min) who controls the KCIA, the organization with an edge over any branch of government. The director of KCIA, Kim Gyu-pyeong (Lee Byung-hun), is a shoe-in for second-in-command. In the midst of reign of fear, a former KCIA director, PARK Yong-gak (Kwak Do-won) who knows all about the government's obscure and illegal operations, exiles to the U.S., where he opens the floodgate to the investigation of 'Koreagate'. As tension escalates, stifling political maneuvering by those desiring power collide explosively.

"The Man Standing Next" stars Lee Byung-hun, Lee Sung-min, Kwak Do-won, Lee Hee-joon, and Kim So-jin and is directed by Woo Min-ho. The film is distributed by Capelight Pictures.

Clip: AlatusDeus

• Like 2

1/17 THE MAN STANDING NEXT Stage Greeting: 

Lee Byung Hun, Lee Sung Min, Kwak Do Won, Lee Hee Jun

Published on January 18, 2020 by 채널썬케이 Channel Sun.K // supershinstudio

The Man Standing Next - Fanterview

Published on January 14, 2020 by HanCinema

• Like 2