[Drama 2019] Love in Sadness, 슬플 때 사랑한다

0ly40

2 hours ago, juli® said:

But @bebebisous33 @zenya22 @MidnightRaindo not you think that's strange? How does a man take a woman who has the same face of his mother as his wife? Did he think of his mother sexually? Because wife is one thing, mother is another. No one thinks of the mother sexually. Except Oedipus. In fact, SJW tried to protect her after his wife died. It's as if he wants to revive his wife and get a second chance. In fact, he confessed that, he wants a second chance. Bizarre.

I don't make sense to me, the YMR of the 2nd phase, so to speak, is fearful, paralyzed with fear ... The YMR of the first phase had more courage, in fact, it was this courage that made her run away from her husband innumerable times. This new YMR doesn't really match the IW. Also, guys, she and the HR were friends and now they treat themselves as strange because they are weird, just the IW pay attention to what he will notice right away. And as the IW is a mysterious man if he lived chasing after the fujona wife. In an ep. he was picking her up at what looked like an airport! And there were a lot of people watching. And SJW still uses alliance.

I think the feelings that In-Wook holds for Ma-Ri are a bit more complex than just thinking of his mother sexually. Remember, he witnessed his father abuse her for years, she loved him enough to come back because he called for her, and then he saw her commit suicide. In-Wook is also a victim of his father's abuse and lives with the guilt that he "caused" his mother's death because he wasn't strong enough to stand up to his father to protect her. Now comes Ma-Ri with the same face as his mother, Ma-Ri who is a poor artist trying to support her ailing mother, Ma-Ri who seemingly has the same disposition as his mother -- this is his second chance to right what he couldn't do when he was young. Hence why In-Wook tries to keep Ma-Ri locked in his little cage that he created, where there's no worries for her and she's well taken care of. Yet at the same time, he is so insecure about her eventually going to escape and run away like his mother that he doesn't allow anything to enter her world either, so he purposely sabotages her career and keep her under tight control. Like someone else had mentioned already earlier on, if Ma-Ri had In-Wook's child, it would not be a child that's born of love, but just another hostage that In-Wook can hold over Ma-Ri's head to keep her staying by his side. 

As for the new Yoon Ma-Ri being different, I think it's just Park Han-Byul's acting to be honest. I don't think she studied how Park Ha-Na portrayed Ma-Ri and just went with her own interpretation. She's so distracting, like I would be so immersed in the show, but anything I feel just dies out once she shows up onscreen. Her acting is so flat, and has none of the back and forth energy that Park Ha-Na shared with both Ji Hyun-Woo and Ryu Soo-Young. -_-

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@zenya22 @ktcjdrama @MidnightRain 

But now let’s take a closer look to the flowers which are used in each episode:

• episode 1: the cistus “I will die tomorrow”
  • episode 2: the daisy “You are my hope”
  • episode 3: Rosemary “You bring me back to life”
  • episode 4: Lavender “Tell me”
  • episode 5: Purple Lilac “Fear comes for me”
  • episode 6: Petunia “If you stay by my side”

Striking is that YMR is associated to different flowers. First she appeared in her painting

lis-painting-ymr-and-glaieul.png?w=660
YMR holding a purple gladiolus/ sword lily

First, this is the only painting where YMR drew a person. Notice the contrast to her painting called A self-portray

Spoiler

image-4.png?w=431

Episode 2: the painting here is called A self-portray. The represented flower is a cistus

Secondly, the colors are bright and she is surrounded by a beautiful countryside. The green is associated to life, whereas the gloomy and dark colors in the second painting illustrates the dying nature. The cistus is living next to a dead wood which can only bring death to the flower. Moreover, the flower is burning indicating that its death is imminent. The two portraits represent YMR and the comparison outlines how YMR has not only lost her face but also her personality and identity. YMR is no longer a sword lily but she has become a cistus. A sword lily is linked to

• Strength of character
  • Faithfulness, sincerity and integrity
  • Infatuation
  • Never giving up

Just like the name says it, the gladiolus shows a certain fighting spirit. This strength disappeared due to the constant abuse.

Then in the episode from this week, our heroine paints a red petunia.

image-5.png?w=660
Red petunias under an umbrella

This painting indicates the change in YMR’s mentality. The light outlines that she has hope now. The umbrella is protecting the flower from the rain. In this painting, the umbrella embodies SJW, while the red petunia is our female protagonist. YMR is very well aware that SJW has been protecting her. She is starting gathering some courage and strength. The choice of the color, red, seems to point out the return of life and passion. She paints with more enthusiasm than before.

But YMR is not only associated to flowers due the paintings, her name reminds SJW of Rosemary. Actually, WHK was associated to this plant. She liked the scent of Rosemary and the color (purple) and this explains why WHK and YMR’s fate are intertwined. Their path crossed 5 years ago… WHK made the decision to go to her lover, while YMR gave in and accepted WIK’s proposal. When both made that decision, they didn’t know that they would lose their life and identity. Finally, WIK associates YMR to the purple lilac, when he visits YHR at the gallery.

image-6.png?w=660
WIK’s hand at the end of the episode 5: purple lilac

With his bare hands, he takes a petal from the purple lilac and even crushes it, while saying that he will find her. So this scene is meaningful as it shows his determination to find her. Then even if she has changed, he will recognize her. YMR was never linked to the purple lilac before. Finally, this scene reveals what will happen, once he catches YMR. She will get beaten up. To conclude, the plastic surgery will only delay his discovery, he is already able to see YMR in a different form and shape.

To conclude, all the flowers (purple lilac, petunia, sword lily, cistus, daisy, lavender and Rosemary) were embodying our heroine which indicates that YMR is always changing. She could be perceived as nature itself. It was as if she was the queen of all the flowers which explains why SJW is fascinated by her. SJW loves flowers above anything hence he has a small garden in his house.   

56 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@ktcjdrama@MidnightRain

Then in the episode from this week, our heroine paints a red petunia.

Red petunias under an umbrella

This painting indicates the change in YMR’s mentality. The light outlines that she has hope now. The umbrella is protecting the flower from the rain. In this painting, the umbrella embodies SJW, while the red petunia is our female protagonist. YMR is very well aware that SJW has been protecting her. She is starting gathering some courage and strength. The choice of the color, red, seems to point out the return of life and passion. She paints with more enthusiasm than before.

. . . . .

To conclude, all the flowers (purple lilac, petunia, sword lily, cistus, daisy, lavender and Rosemary) were embodying our heroine which indicates that YMR is always changing. She could be perceived as nature itself. It was as if she was the queen of all the flowers which explains why SJW is fascinated by her. SJW loves flowers above anything hence he has a small garden in his house.  

I love their house, with the garden inside!

I noticed the new painting of petunias too, and interpreted it similar to what you've shared above. I can't wait to see her taking the identity of HK. Let me confess first that I'm watching with fast-forwarding, so I might miss some nuances. Still not in the mood for a melo but the story intrigues me so much that I want to follow it through. I did try to watch it properly, but argh.., there are parts that frustrates me so much... eg.when IW barged into the house of JW. So he has a police officer with him, but he has no warrant to search the house. He has no right to barge into someone's house like that, opening doors to rooms, even to a bathroom! Geeez... JW was just too kind with him. I would have pulled him back and shoved him out of the house.

I've enjoyed reading the discussions here, btw.

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I love their house, with the garden inside!

I noticed the new painting of petunias too, and interpreted it similar to what you've shared above. I can't wait to see her taking the identity of HK. Let me confess first that I'm watching with fast-forwarding, so I might miss some nuances. Still not in the mood for a melo but the story intrigues me so much that I want to follow it through. I did try to watch it properly, but argh.., there are parts that frustrates me so much... eg.when IW barged into the house of JW. So he has a police officer with him, but he has no warrant to search the house. He has no right to barge into someone's house like that, opening doors to rooms, even to a bathroom! Geeez... JW was just too kind with him. I would have pulled him back and shoved him out of the house.

I've enjoyed reading the discussions here, btw.

But SJW's behavior didn't surprise me at all. He definitely has his flaws, since he lets people push him around or manipulate him. But this is where YMR/WHK will help him. He has become her mentor and protector, the one who supports her in everything she does. The more WIK meddles, the more SJW will be forced to become proactive and will behave differently. By giving her freedom and independence, YMR will become the sword lily again and as such, she will become a weapon. The name gladialus comes from latin and means sword. She will do anything to protect him. While WIK used strength in order to have YMR remained by his side, YMR will be willing to stay by SJW's side because she is showered by kindness and even love. WIK was never able to love her. Even if YMR thinks that SJW's affection might be for his deceased wife, she is grateful because she knows that he really loved his wife. She can perceive the deepness of his feelings. 

The moment doctor Han gets aware of the existence as YMR as WHK, he will start wooing her again but he will fail. That's how SJW will discover the betrayal. However, I believe that SJW will resent his best friend even more who abandoned WHK in the car in order to protect himself. If she had been discovered in time, WHK could have been saved. If this theory is true, Doctor Han was and is a coward and a hypocrite. SJW might be gentle and kind but he has never been a coward. He knew about the affair but preferred protecting his wife than his own pain. In my opinion, YHR encouraged doctor Han to go after WHK in the past, just like doctor Han revealed HR's affection for SJW in front of SJW. Since she had helped him the past, Han wanted to return the favor. WHK had already died.    

5 hours ago, MidnightRain said:

As for the new Yoon Ma-Ri being different, I think it's just Park Han-Byul's acting to be honest. I don't think she studied how Park Ha-Na portrayed Ma-Ri and just went with her own interpretation. She's so distracting, like I would be so immersed in the show, but anything I feel just dies out once she shows up onscreen. Her acting is so flat, and has none of the back and forth energy that Park Ha-Na shared with both Ji Hyun-Woo and Ryu Soo-Young. -_-

I agree. PHN and RSY's delivery of KIW and YMR had mesmerizing and stirring energy, it is hard to look away. I would even say it is consuming, there is fire, ravaging energy from IW and waning yet resolutley fighting for survival energy from PHN. Both actors really nailed it for me. While PHN with JHW as YMR and SJW had this haunting energy of mutual unspoken pain and healing energy of compassion, understanding, acceptance and salvation. I love the scene when PHN as YMR went to JW's house, she was soaked with rain and inside the house, she bared herself, her bruises and scars to JW. Outside was lightning and rain. JW's expression when he saw her marred body was one that was deeply moved and it was at that moment that he decided to change Mari's face. There was calming and resolute chemistry between PHN and JHW as MR and JW. Dr. Seo is like the silent water that runs deep. I always go to that scene to remind me of MR of the past first episodes whenever I get distracted by the "new Mari".  Maybe that is why I re watch the first four episodes to remind me of the Mari as interpreted by Park Ha Na.

It would help Park Han Byul to study Park Ha Na's interpretation of Mari. 

I didn't know Park Hyun Byul was in "I Have A Lover". I came across the drama before but for anyone that has seen it, would you recommended it? I think the only other person I know is Ji Jin Hee. I'm not really a fan of those types of stories but I might be willing to it a try. The reason is I didn't know either female lead before this drama aired but I do know both the male leads, JHW from Wanted and RSY from Two Weeks.

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

But SJW's behavior didn't surprise me at all. He definitely has his flaws, since he lets people push him around or manipulate him. But this is where YMR/WHK will help him. He has become her mentor and protector, the one who supports her in everything she does. The more WIK meddles, the more SJW will be forced to become proactive and will behave differently.

Yes, I'm hoping that the more he interacts with her, SJW will become less passive and more active/aggressive in protecting YMR from WIK .

4 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Yes, I'm hoping that the more he interacts with her, SJW will become less passive and more active/aggressive in protecting YMR from WIK .

But I have the impression that KIW's younger brother might become another protector of YMR. KIW is nothing without the company, so if he doesn't become the heir, KIW can no longer search for YMR and even will have trouble to buy people. In the beginning, we saw a person in white with two bodyguards living in a huge villa and KIW drove his car there. Later he got shot... so what if the bodyguards were hired by his brother and they had received the order to protect YMR at any cost.

12 hours ago, MidnightRain said:

I think the feelings that In-Wook holds for Ma-Ri are a bit more complex than just thinking of his mother sexually. Remember, he witnessed his father abuse her for years, she loved him enough to come back because he called for her, and then he saw her commit suicide. In-Wook is also a victim of his father's abuse and lives with the guilt that he "caused" his mother's death because he wasn't strong enough to stand up to his father to protect her. Now comes Ma-Ri with the same face as his mother, Ma-Ri who is a poor artist trying to support her ailing mother, Ma-Ri who seemingly has the same disposition as his mother -- this is his second chance to right what he couldn't do when he was young. Hence why In-Wook tries to keep Ma-Ri locked in his little cage that he created, where there's no worries for her and she's well taken care of. Yet at the same time, he is so insecure about her eventually going to escape and run away like his mother that he doesn't allow anything to enter her world either, so he purposely sabotages her career and keep her under tight control. Like someone else had mentioned already earlier on, if Ma-Ri had In-Wook's child, it would not be a child that's born of love, but just another hostage that In-Wook can hold over Ma-Ri's head to keep her staying by his side. 

He was just a kid, what could he do? He was just a kid at the time, what could he do?

Would he repeat his father's behavior toward the child?

13 minutes ago, juli® said:

He was just a kid, what could he do? He was just a kid at the time, what could he do?

Some repeat the abusive behavior, some don't. In KIW's case, he is already behaving like his father. He doesn't know what love is. I do think that KIW feels guilty because his mother always returned to his side and even killed herself in the end.

KIW has finally understood that his father used him in order to keep his wife by his side and he actually agreed at the end that he would do the same with YMR. The child would be used as leverage.... notice that he has already started using this method with YMR's mother. The latter was the reason why YMR returned to his side. 

KIW is no longer a child, he is a grown-up and his past can not serve as excuse for his violent and possessive behavior. 

1 hour ago, 0ly40 said:

Which one juli®?

The music they released ... :cry:

49 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Some repeat the abusive behavior, some don't. In KIW's case, he is already behaving like his father. He doesn't know what love is. I do think that KIW feels guilty because his mother always returned to his side and even killed herself in the end.

KIW has finally understood that his father used him in order to keep his wife by his side and he actually agreed at the end that he would do the same with YMR. The child would be used as leverage.... notice that he has already started using this method with YMR's mother. The latter was the reason why YMR returned to his side. 

KIW is no longer a child, he is a grown-up and his past can not serve as excuse for his violent and possessive behavior. 

Yes I agree! 

For me, this 2nd phase is being difficult, I do not like the performance of the actors who play SJW and YMR. I miss the scenes between PHN and RSY ...

16 minutes ago, juli® said:

Hey, guys, why did KIW say he hired bodyguards to protect MR? Protect her from whom and from what? Only if it's from him, right?

Don't take KIW's words too seriously. He is just delusional. He hired bodyguards in order to stop her from running away with the excuse that he only wants to protect her. KIW is dangerous as he has become crazy and he can not be reasoned. 

24 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Don't take KIW's words too seriously. He is just delusional. He hired bodyguards in order to stop her from running away with the excuse that he only wants to protect her. KIW is dangerous as he has become crazy and he can not be reasoned. 

It doesn't appear on the show how KIW's dad feels about having MR as his daughter-in-law since she looks like the woman he said he loves ... 

I think they are still going to show more things that KIW did with MR... That cobra-King 

11 hours ago, juli® said:

There was absolutely nothing that he could have done when his father threatened him with a golf club forcing him to call his mother home. Nothing. But that doesn't stop him from feeling guilt and all sorts of other emotions that are eating at him and still affects him till this day. 

Sadly, he would repeat his father's behavior. Like his father said, he raised In-Wook up to be completely like him, and even when other people are uncertain about his motives and reasonings, his father understands him. I don't think In-Wook wants to follow his father's footsteps, but I don't think he can help or stop or control himself either. 

14 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

But I have the impression that KIW's younger brother might become another protector of YMR. KIW is nothing without the company, so if he doesn't become the heir, KIW can no longer search for YMR and even will have trouble to buy people. In the beginning, we saw a person in white with two bodyguards living in a huge villa and KIW drove his car there. Later he got shot... so what if the bodyguards were hired by his brother and they had received the order to protect YMR at any cost.

I hope so. Besides needing more supporters on YMR's side, we really do need someone who can rein KIW in. But at this point, I can't see any fangs from the younger brother yet. He seems to be rather weak and helpless for now. It will take some time before he would find out that YMR has a new face now. And even then, will he have the same feelings of closeness as with the YMR with old face? We haven't been shown enough to determine how close is the bond between them...

Archived