[Drama 2019] Love in Sadness, 슬플 때 사랑한다

0ly40

On 4/15/2019 at 12:14 PM, bebebisous33 said:

@zenya22 That’s why it is clear that doctor Ha never loved WHK in reality. He abandoned her, when she was hurt and he didn’t even help SJW for the surgery on WHK. He betrayed his friend out of jealousy. I hope, he will suffer the most due to his misdeeds.

Dr. Ha is disgusting. 

Hey, guys, did you see? KIW does have a picture of his mother, his father didn't throw them all away. I still doubt that he did it, I think the photos are stored somewhere that only he, the father, knows.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, @zenya22 you're not going to do your review eps. 29-32? Please, do it! 

I think KIW suffers from the Oedipus Complex, which only manifested himself when he became an adult. How can he think in YMR sexually if he sees his mother when he looks at her? It doesn't go into my mind.

On 4/14/2019 at 5:35 AM, bebebisous33 said:

In my opinion, KIW's father is abusing his son mentally because he is actually covering up his crime. From my point of view, KIW has been brainwashed by his own father who told him that his mother abandoned him by committing suicide. However, I suspect that in reality his mother tried to protect her son, she came back to take him and her husband shot her. She was killed by him. And his own son could have realized that hence he told KIW these lies. He knew what his mother meant to him. By telling him that she committed suicide therefore she abandoned him, the chairman hurt KIW so much so that he wouldn't pay attention to the details and his own memories. That's why the father can insult KIW as weak. He expected, KIW would come to resent his mother for leaving him behind. 

The reason why I suspect that his mother was killed is this:

On 4/14/2019 at 5:35 AM, bebebisous33 said:

Notice that her wound is on her chest and not on her head. Secondly the way she is holding her gun. In an earlier episode, I had seen the blood on the chest but I thought, this could have been a mistake. However, this time the scene was much longer. KIW never saw his mother's suicide, he only heard the gun shot. And notice that in the preview, he is trying to act like "his mother", point the gun to his head....

The reasons why I suspect the father for killing his wife are the following:

- He was bothered that YMR looked like his wife... he was afraid that this might trigger KIW's memory of this night

- Secondly, he was happy that his son would treat YMR like he did with his wife. Her running away revealed that the lies he had told KIW had worked. 

- Furthermore he talked about betrayal to KIW once while he was hunting. In my opinion, he was talking about betrayal as if he had experienced it himself. So the mother came back to take her son... and she would leave him for real. 

- Finally, he shows so much concern for YMR. Why? Because she could trigger something KIW which would make him realize that he had been manipulated by his father all along.

Therefore I come to the conclusion that KIW could be shot by his father, as the latter is trying to kill YMR. that's how he will realize what happened back then. Now, we know where KIW went in the first episode. The villa looked a lot like the villa YMR was sent after KIW took her from the hospital. The secretary told him that this villa is used by the chairman. That's how KIW will realize what true love is. His mother loved him so much that she risked her own life to take him away from his father.

episode 29 to 32 even though I looked at these as fillers after re-reading @bebebisous33review, I just realized the significance of these episodes. My expectations of these as psychological thriller/suspense drama were based on my comparison of these drama to the original J drama and the movie Sleeping With the Enemy. The movie was a 2 hour watch and the J drama a short 10 episodes. And the emphasis of both movie and J drama was the suspense of the chase of the runaway wife from the psycho husband and the eventual triumph of the wife in freeing herself from the psycho husband and the tragic endings of husbands. But in both the movie and the J drama, the story or the beginnings of social conditioning of both husbands were never explored since the force of both movie and J drama was suspense/psycho thriller. However, from the start of this 40 episode drama the abusive family relationships of the "bad guy", KIW has been delved into and therefore KIW is not just that scary man trying to kill the wife but he is given a face of a piteous child abandoned and abused. The writers managed to arouse understanding compassion and pity for the child but not condone the actions of the adult who abuses and imprisons his wife prompted by the childhood conditioning of his mind and knows no other way to behave or act. All through the drama, KIW's story is revisited. As a viewer, I wish that someone will knock him down and take him to therapy at a mental facility, but as the finale draws closer it appears that his ending is looking bleaker. That is why I am hoping that he will be saved by the 3 friends who seem to care about him, the dog, the secretary and the detective other wise he will end tragically or behind bars and for KIW that will be worse than death. 

to be continued @juli®... I have to see the doc and I  will finish review when I come back

continuing: Like I said the fact that the drama made an exceptional effort to humanize  IW, tells me that there is a hopeful ending for him just like the ending in LMIH and the abusive husband there was worse than IW. So even though the last episodes show the ending as bleak, I am placing my bet that the ending will be well for all. 

KIK, IW's dad treats IW as his possession and even though KIK is verbally and emotionally abusive towards IW, he does not let or tolerate anyone else disrespecting or treating IW the way he does because IW is his son, his possesion. He can do what he wants with IW but no one else is permitted to lay a hand on IW his precious possesion. So, if KIK sees that Ma Ri changed her face, KIK will consider it the worse betrayal and disloyalty more than IW, (my thinking). The question is what will the father do to the people whom he will blame for betraying his son? Dr. Ha will be exposed and will lose his MD license for neglect and abandonment and may even end in prison. Ha can blame IW, HK, JW or the devil but it won't matter because (karma) does not care. Ha will reap the consequences of his actions. What I am curious about is what KIk will do or what will happen to KIK when IW gets shot. Psychologically and emotionally he is very much connected to IW his son, his possesion. I hope we get to the swimming pool scene soon.

As for JW and Ma Ri, my feelings about their sudden romance, I was wishing that there romance would have happened more gradually. That they had made JW more human or given him more emotional depth. After his wife died, the woman he was so devoted to and whom he was hoping to revive died, there was no passion in him, no expression of self examination, no expression of grief as if he were a robot. Then he developed feelings for Ma Ri whom he calls HK and when he realized HK's betrayal he had a breakdown and then nothing. I would have understood his character more if he had let Ma Ri leave while he goes through self examination, recrimination and settle scores with his wife especially when he found out whom his wife was having an affair with before he moved on. I would have wished Ma Ri would have told JW that she would give him time to sort out his feelings with his past and that she had some sorting out to do herself, move out of his house and accepted the officetel JW offered. That way she would have developed independent, wiser, stronger mindset. JW is a doctor who in his hospital rotations and exposed to patients in abusive/obsessive relationships and would have known that confronting IW will only lead to more abuse for the partner being abused. So he would have surmised that confronting IW by himself especially when he is known to be the lover of Ma Ri will only bring harm to himself but mostly to Ma Ri. Going about confronting IW and confessing his love and concern and being beaten, knowing that he can't go to the police because his changing the face of Ma Ri into his wife's face and letting her pretend to be his wife could be a cause to suspend his MD license was unwise. And Ma Ri, well I thought she would have been wiser this time around...

1 hour ago, zenya22 said:

episode 29 to 32 even though I looked at these as fillers after re-reading @bebebisous33review, I just realized the significance of these episodes. My expectations of these as psychological thriller/suspense drama were based on my comparison of these drama to the original J drama and the movie Sleeping With the Enemy. The movie was a 2 hour watch and the J drama a short 10 episodes. And the emphasis of both movie and J drama was the suspense of the chase of the runaway wife from the psycho husband and the eventual triumph of the wife in freeing herself from the psycho husband and the tragic endings of husbands. But in both the movie and the J drama, the story or the beginnings of social conditioning of both husbands were never explored since the force of both movie and J drama was suspense/psycho thriller. However, from the start of this 40 episode drama the abusive family relationships of the "bad guy", KIW has been delved into and therefore KIW is not just that scary man trying to kill the wife but he is given a face of a piteous child abandoned and abused. The writers managed to arouse understanding compassion and pity for the child but not condone the actions of the adult who abuses and imprisons his wife prompted by the childhood conditioning of his mind and knows no other way to behave or act. All through the drama, KIW's story is revisited. As a viewer, I wish that someone will knock him down and take him to therapy at a mental facility, but as the finale draws closer it appears that his ending is looking bleaker. That is why I am hoping that he will be saved by the 3 friends who seem to care about him, the dog, the secretary and the detective other wise he will end tragically or behind bars and for KIW that will be worse than death. 

to be continued @juli®... I have to see the doc and I  will finish review when I come back

I agree KIW needs help asap. Who wants to help him is the 64 million dollar question. Other than that I cant see anything but tragedy for him.

3 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Okay. Doc? I hope everything is alright to you. And thank you!

2 hours ago, dolorisbrady said:

I agree KIW needs help asap. Who wants to help him is the 64 million dollar question. Other than that I cant see anything but tragedy for him.

At this point in the drama, I only accept two endings: YMR ends alone or they all die. I don't buy her with the doctor who changed her face to WHK's to take another chance on the woman he loved, shaping WHK's personality that fits with himself.

But I confess I cannot imagine a different end for KIW other than what appears at the beginning of ep 1. 

Now, everyone, KIW comes from a Chaebol family, they are like that, they are created that way because they have to be like that, otherwise they wouldn't be the 3rd largest conglomerate of the country. They need to be strong. The way he deals with situations is perfectly understandable, considering the means from which he comes. Of course, I am not referring to violence against YMR, but to everything else. I think his dad knows there's something wrong with that YMR's comeback and he's pushing his son to tell him right away (by showing YMR). I also cannot believe that Dad threw away all the photos of his late wife. The expressions the old man makes when he hears the KIW's lies are priceless, if he gives them good laughs. I don't think KIW will be able to get YMR face surgery before his father finds out the whole truth. I think if KIW had seduced JHR, he would have discovered the truth soon enough. JHR was angry at SJW on the fourth occasion and still lacking affection. It was going to be easy for someone like him. Impressed by KIW's instincts, he didn't even turn around, but he already knew the YMR was behind him in Gallery. 

Impressed, too, with Soo Young's acting on the scene when he returns home after another pressure from his father, and takes the picture of YMR and his mother from the jacket . He even sweated in this scene! :scream: I don't know if it's just Soo Young merit is only his or the production warmed the air so that it was sweaty! And we have another new song, plus one from KIW.

Spoiler

The answer to the question that KIW made to YMR on the lake before YMR change her face was finally answered. He asked her if she couldn't live the way he wanted, for his sake, at least for a while? He replied in ep. 36. He hoped to take over the GH Group and make it, and himself, the most powerful corporation/man of the world. Then, according to him, she could have what she wanted, ask whatever she wanted, that he would protect her against everything, nobody could reach her.

15 minutes ago, juli® said:

The answer to the question that KIW made to YMR on the lake before YMR change her face was finally answered. He asked her if she couldn't live the way he wanted, for his sake, at least for a while? He replied in ep. 36. He hoped to take over the GH Group and make it, and himself, the most powerful corporation/man of the world. Then, according to him, she could have what she wanted, ask whatever she wanted, that he would protect her against everything, nobody could reach her.

problem is she needed protection from him the most not from anyone out there that is how convoluted IW's mind is he can't distinguish reality 

1 hour ago, zenya22 said:

problem is she needed protection from him the most not from anyone out there that is how convoluted IW's mind is he can't distinguish reality 

But seriously, after all, I feel sorry for KIW. He begs YMR love, but cannot have love in return because he doesn't know how to love, he was very cruel to her. I imagine a more spiritual side, his mother seeing it and sad to see his son suffer, and die, unable to love and be loved.

Girl, I'm waiting for your and @bebebisous33 reviews on these eps.

1 hour ago, juli® said:

Girl, I'm waiting for your and @bebebisous33 review on these eps.

Honestly, this weekend's eps for me is a repetition of last weekend's episode. I wish that they had put the swimming pool scene this weekend so there will be something new to review. 

Anyhow I went to view the last 8 episodes of LMIH and big difference with the doctors actions. I love Dr. Kang Woo in LMIH. He made more practical and wiser decisions, he knew what was safe for the abused wife so he never directly confronted the crazy husband but made plans for the escape from the mansion of the chaebol husband and got the help of the reporters, the psychiatrist who was helping the abused woman, got her into an officetel unknown to the husband and the help of the family. Here, MR is alone and only depended on JW who went around confronting the crazy husband by himself, no other plans of escape, no plans to get help or get a safe place for Ma Ri to hide. He should know that his actions directly affects MR that she will get beaten because of him. And MR is the same, she is dumb enough to provoke the husband. The first Ma Ri made some definite plans to leave the crazy husband and succeeded, this MR with the changed face just walked back in with no plans at all on how to escape with the evidence. To me JW does not care about MR. He just cares about being in a pissing contest with IW. Let us see who can richard simmons the hardest while MR is writhing on the floor. Boys place a bet on her. play Russian roulette in the meantime IW gets the upper hand, MR goes back to him and gets punished. JW does not really care about MR, he cares about his ego which was hurt when he knew that his wife was having an affair in his face and he did nothing, but recite poetry,  so now he tries to be what he was not and play macho guy not really caring about what could happen to MR, but have MR to say she loves him more. But he really never came up with a plan to get Ma Ri out of her prison. MR and JW deserve each other,. Someone, please shoot IW already and get him away from the hell he is in to a facility where he can be treated and come out a better person. 

6 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

Honestly, this weekend's eps for me is a repetition of last weekend's episode. I wish that they had put the swimming pool scene this weekend so there will be something new to review. 

Anyhow I went to view the last 8 episodes of LMIH and big difference with the doctors actions. I love Dr. Kang Woo in LMIH. He made more practical and wiser decisions, he knew what was safe for the abused wife so he never directly confronted the crazy husband but made plans for the escape from the mansion of the chaebol husband and got the help of the reporters, the psychiatrist who was helping the abused woman, got her into an officetel unknown to the husband and the help of the family. Here, MR is alone and only depended on JW who went around confronting the crazy husband by himself, no other plans of escape, no plans to get help or get a safe place for Ma Ri to hide. He should know that his actions directly affects MR that she will get beaten because of him. And MR is the same, she is dumb enough to provoke the husband. The first Ma Ri made some definite plans to leave the crazy husband and succeeded, this MR with the changed face just walked back in with no plans at all on how to escape with the evidence. To me JW does not care about MR. He just cares about being in a pissing contest with IW. Let us see who can richard simmons the hardest while MR is writhing on the floor. Boys place a bet on her. play Russian roulette in the meantime IW gets the upper hand, MR goes back to him and gets punished. JW does not really care about MR, he cares about his ego which was hurt when he knew that his wife was having an affair in his face and he did nothing, but recite poetry,  so now he tries to be what he was not and play macho guy not really caring about what could happen to MR, but have MR to say she loves him more. But he really never came up with a plan to get Ma Ri out of her prison. MR and JW deserve each other,. Someone, please shoot IW already and get him away from the hell he is in to a facility where he can be treated and come out a better person. 

Honestly they all deserve each other , I think they should turn the gun on each other , No one should be left alive at the end due to stupidy. But I'm not the writer so I dont know jack lol. 

Seriously though there is a part of me that feels

for KIW,  He was abused and became the abuser , Thanks to his father its sad.

8 hours ago, dolorisbrady said:

Honestly they all deserve each other , I think they should turn the gun on each other , No one should be left alive at the end due to stupidy. But I'm not the writer so I dont know jack lol. 

My hope is IW gets to a correctional faclilty where they have programs for abusers. I would want his ending to be like in LMIH. 

JW: being, marked by, or displaying behavior characterized by expression of negative feelings, resentment, and aggression in an unassertive way (as through procrastination, stubbornness, and unwillingness to communicate) a passive-aggressive personality, that is who MR will end up with 

The Russian roulette scene was one of the most useless in the drama. YMR said he loved KIW only to go away with SJW. And SJW was dumb enough to do the same thing as KIW, get into his craziness. This type of behavior is expected from KIW, but not from SJW. What the YMR should have done was stay with the KIW until he calmed down and then take the steps she intended to take. I'm sure I'm going to hate the end of this drama, it's going to be full of cliches. For me, everyone would die or the YMR would end alone.

7 hours ago, zenya22 said:

My hope is IW gets to a correctional faclilty where they have programs for abusers. I would want his ending to be like in LMIH. 

JW: being, marked by, or displaying behavior characterized by expression of negative feelings, resentment, and aggression in an unassertive way (as through procrastination, stubbornness, and unwillingness to communicate) a passive-aggressive personality, that is who MR will end up with 

I always said SJW was a trap. :unamused: It would be best for him to stay with JHR.

Ok, rewatched the episodes and I must say this again. I love RSY, he is the one that makes the drama watchable. He really gets the viewers into what his character is feeling whether it is his psycho self, his lost pitiful self, his protective self, his conflicted self or his rebelious self which he is now showing against his father. Now, I have something to look forward to next weekend, the fight between the father and the son. The cub lion is now fully grown and showing his teeth and snarling challenging the old one who is losing his teeth. I think whoever gets shot in the swimming pool, the father will have something to do with it. Father said, I know the very thing that will bring you down and he is talking about Ma Ri. However, IW I think already suspects that his mother did not kill herself and that the father and the stepmother had something to do with the death of his mother. When he learns about the truth of his mother's death with the help of therapy, maybe it will bring some healing and free him of his guilt. The most healing for IW will be letting go of Ma Ri realizing that he does not need her anymore that he can stand on his own without using another person as a crutch. 

2 hours ago, juli® said:

I always said SJW was a trap. :unamused: It would be best for him to stay with JHR.

I think He Ra deserves better. She also needs to let go of JW and be with someone who truly cares about her, who will fall in love with her. After the last episodes, Ma Ri and JW deserve each other.

IW deserves a long time of healing and someday find a  woman who loves him and whom he can love for who she is and not a substitue of his mother. For that to happen his healing process includes letting go of Ma Ri and realizing that his "love" was false, that he only needed Ma Ri to stay with him because she reminds him of his mother. When he gets it really gets it, I don't think he would even want to be with Ma Ri any longer. 

2 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Ok, rewatched the episodes and I must say this again. 1I love RSY, he is the one that makes the drama watchable. He really gets the viewers into what his character is feeling whether it is his psycho self, his lost pitiful self, his protective self, his conflicted self or his rebelious self 2which he is now showing against his father. Now, I have something to look forward to next weekend, the fight between the father and the son. 4 The cub lion is now fully grown and showing his teeth and snarling challenging the old one who is losing his teeth. I think whoever gets shot in the swimming pool, the father will have something to do with it. Father said, I know the very thing that will bring you down and he is talking about Ma Ri. However, IW I think already suspects that his mother did not kill herself and that the father and the stepmother had something to do with the death of his mother. When he learns about the truth of his mother's death with the help of therapy, maybe it will bring some healing and free him of his guilt. The most healing for IW will be letting go of Ma Ri realizing that he does not need her anymore that he can stand on his own without using another person as a crutch. 

I think He Ra deserves better. She also needs to let go of JW and be with someone who truly cares about her, who will fall in love with her. After the last episodes, Ma Ri and JW deserve each other.

IW deserves a long time of healing and someday find a  woman who loves him and whom he can love for who she is and not a substitue of his mother. For that to happen his healing process includes letting go of Ma Ri and realizing that his "love" was false, that he only needed Ma Ri to stay with him because she reminds him of his mother. When he gets it really gets it, I don't think he would even want to be with Ma Ri any longer. 

@zenya22

1 No doubt that. I have been enjoying Han-byul in these last few eps., It looks like she has joined the YMR and bloomed. Finally! I also like Ji Hyun-woo, is a good actor, the character is that it is annoying. The RSY is the owner of the show, he deserves all awards involving TV in South Korea, he really deserves every one of them. I had never seen any drama he did. I have never seen any, in fact, only "Love in Sadness". The ease with which he changes KIW's facial expressions and mood is impressive. Many experienced actors cannot do this.

It took him too long to rebel. I never believed KIW was afraid of his father. When KIW asked YMR on the lake if she could not live his way for his sake, and only for a while, I imagined he was referring to the day he would take over the GH Group. I just didn't know what he was promising to YMR when he said that.

I was looking forward to it, but since KIW is going to die, what's the point? :bawling:

4 Discovery Channel vibes. 

5 and 7 Everyone knows that I'm praying for KIW, so I'd love for him to recover and get on with his life, but that's only in an alternate ending, which will not happen since the preview has already been released. 

There are abusers and abusers. Not everyone should be treated in the same way because not everyone is equal, there is much more to be found than the human mind can understand. I've always been in sympathy with KIW. Every time I looked at him, I remembered that frightened child, who felt abandoned when his mother killed himself and at the mercy of his father's violence, having to deal with this violence alone, with no one to defend him. And I confess, for me it was very difficult to see these eps., see the KIW beg the love of the YMR and only receive contempt and disgust. Of course he did it in her, he didn't know how to love her, he hurt her a lot in the last five years, I don't blame her for having that attitude, but I was enraged that she promised several times that she would stay with him to save SJW, said he loved him, said he would stay with him, as they were the perfect couple, but come back countless times. She would not allow him to approach her, he would not allow any contact, he would mistreat him... 

In the Russian roulette scene the YMR said he loved KIW so he would give up the idea of killing himself, but soon after, he dumped KIW on his own with the gun there and went with SJW! Seriously, I was very angry! :rage: What a useless scene! Why do all that, then? It only counted on the performance of the actors, especially RSY.

SJW, the boring and insistent guy, who only brings pain to his "beloved". Just like KIW. Insisting on going after the YMR at KIW's house, he only hurt her! This is a couple that I don't want to end up with, so how will it be? She will take over the WHK art gallery. That is, taking the face of WHK, will take over her life! Bizarre, weird, inconceivable to me.

I'm still rooting for KIW since the beginning of the drama. He deserves to be happy.

I always thought JHR was the ideal woman for SJW. They have known each other since childhood, know each other, shared many experiences together. And disappointments. So I still think it's more ideal for SJW than YMR. YMR, by myself, either ended alone, or died.

22 hours ago, dolorisbrady said:

:joy: @dolorisbrady I must agree with that. But this behavior is expected of KIW, not SJW. And the YMR said he loved KIW so he would give up the idea of killing himself, but soon after, he dumped KIW on his own and went with SJW! Seriously, I was very angry. What a useless scene! Why do all that, then? It only counted on the performance of the actors, especially RSY.

44 minutes ago, juli® said:

I was looking forward to it, but since KIW is going to die, what's the point?

Who said IW is going to die, he got shot and jumped into the water from the preview not fall in? Many people get shot and survive. This is the 21st century and medicine is much advanced. I know you think that Ma Ri and IW belong together but they don't. When IW wakes up from his fake obsession and false love, he would not want Ma Ri and neither does Ma Ri. Hae Ra also deserves someone who will love her not someone who can't love her, nor someone who says he does not love her. Why would Hae Ra need that kind of man? You know why MR and JW deserve each other, they have the same mindset and personality. And hey, MR  has the face of HK...his dead wife, so JW can have Ma ri. 

If you look in the preview, IW jumped into the water holding a gun. He did not fall in. That means he did not get shot somewhere vital. 

20 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Who said IW is going to die, he got shot and jumped into the water from the preview not fall in? Many people get shot and survive. This is the 21st century and medicine is much advanced. I know you think that Ma Ri and IW belong together but they don't. When IW wakes up from his fake obsession and false love, he would not want Ma Ri and neither does Ma Ri. Hae Ra also deserves someone who will love her not someone who can't love her, nor someone who says he does not love her. Why would Hae Ra need that kind of man? You know why MR and JW deserve each other, they have the same mindset and personality. And hey, MR  has the face of HK...his dead wife, so JW can have Ma ri. 

If you look in the preview, IW jumped into the water holding a gun. He did not fall in. That means he did not get shot somewhere vital. 

@zenya22 I didn't see this, I saw that he was shot and fell into the water. If he doesn't die from the shot, he will certainly drown. Now, if he doesn't really die, fine, I'll love it, but the YMR will not be free if he doens't die. And it only has 4 more eps. It's a short time for him to recover. I do not want KIW and YMR to stay together anymore. Not after what she did in those 4 eps. :rage:

Archived