[Drama 2019] Love in Sadness, 슬플 때 사랑한다

0ly40

1 hour ago, zenya22 said:

@bebebisous33This made me think of the WHK and SJW that they seemed to be having marital problems. SJW has the soul of a poet, he is an artist by heart. He is a fan of the great works of literature including the Greek and Roman tragedies, and appreciates beauty in art. He became a doctor and selected his practice to be a reconstructive surgeon closely related to art as he repairs broken body parts to wholeness and beauty.  WHK on the other hand is an artist who seem to be struggling with espressing her talent as an artist and maybe feeling insecure with SJW. And SJW in turn tries to woo his wife the only way he knows how, through the what he loves as in taking her to an opera and giving her a gallery and communicating himself through the characters in the stories he read. So there seems to be a communication and compatibility gap between them which is not insurmountable except that both did not address the problem especially SJW who acknowledges that he failed to say or do what was necessary. WHK may have felt intimidated and those feelings may have been exacerbated by He Ra the mantis and Ha the cicada. He Ra told MR it was safe for her to go to the gallery and pose as HK because none of the employees know HK's face except Ha and JW and both will be busy that day and won't see MR posing as HK. Which means HK never went to visit her husband in his office even when they worked in the same building yet He Ra prances in and out of JW's office like nobody's business and the employees know her. HK may have gone to the cicada for some advise or to unburden herself and the cicada took advantage. Instead of helping his friends, the butterfly and the flower to mend their misunderstanding he started singing to the flower who could not help but listen which then turned into more than listening. When JW realized that he had to do something, it was way too late as HK seemed to not even want to have anything to do with him. I think by then she was already falling in love with the cicada. IW has his eye on Ha as IW said that he was waiting for the break in the partnership of Ha and JW which will allow IW to "peep in" and take advantage. Ha also has a brother who was always in trouble and relied on Ha to bail him out of trouble. IW may take advantage of that and use the brother to get Ha to cooperate just like he used MR's mom. Everytime I think of IW as a pitiful boy who needs help, he does something so scary that I am afraid of what he will do and I think he should be in a strait jacket. 

You are right, I re-watched and I realized that I did not read fully the interpretation of what he said. I also liked his interpretation. It is very appropriate to his character. He is a happy person who also knew sadness but not able to express the sadness and wanted to start over and love again. I apologize to JHW. :smile:

Exactly! 

39 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@zenya22 Well, your last analysis confirmed my theory about Hae Ra's involvement in creating a riff between WHK and SJW. So far, SJW has not realized it yet. Now, we know that HR didn't know about the identity of the lover. However, I am quite sure that HR gave a worse picture of WHK than she was in reality. I also would like to say that I will write more about KIW and HR tomorrow. I have a different perception of their scene together...

@bebebisous33 Only tomorrow? Why? :pensive:

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Love in Sadness: An analysis of Self-portraits

Striking is that in this drama, we can witness the birth of a painting. The beholder usually only gets to see the start or the end product but not a work in progress. Nevertheless, we saw here two paintings that were not finished and each time, the finished work revealed the real state of mind of our heroine YMR, as both creations were named as a self-portrait. The difference between the paintings underlined that something had happened to our painter. But now, let’s take a closer look to these paintings. The first “Self-Portrait” was used in the first episode.

Reveal hidden contents

A cistus: episode 1 (the painting is unfinished, right after this taking, due to KIW’s remark, YMR gives the picture a name: ” A self-portrait”

The painting “A self-portrait” is now finished. We learn here the meaning of the cistus: I’ll die tomorrow.

Looking at the first picture, we can observe two things:

• the darkness of the picture: we see a dead wood, she even used a lot of black and brown
  • First, we have two flowers. Furthermore their white color contrast so much to the surrounding. Since the flowers are blossomed, they indicate that their withering is about to happen, especially due to the environment.

So since it is a self-portrait, it actually symbolizes her actual situation: she is in a terrible situation. Her husband is embodied by the dead wood, he can not bring her happiness and life, actually he is the reason why she is perishing. Her world is cold and she feels lonely. There is no light, so there is no hope. The choice of a white flower and the number of cistus caught my attention because in the episode 12, she said that the flowers represent her heart and tears. It looks like back then YMR had lost all her energy hence there are only two flowers. Due to her desperate situation, she can not even cry. She is withering like a flower… 
So the first version wasn’t just depressing because of the dark colors and the environment. Even the choice of the flower was pessimistic: I’ll die tomorrow. However, in the finale version, the beholder observes a huge difference: the flowers are burning. This indicates that not only her situation has even worsened but also her despair has increased. She is literally screaming for help and if no one can see this, then she will die. Moreover, the fire could be perceived as a final attempt from her part. She will leave her husband and if she doesn’t succeed, then she is even willing to die, to get burned. So she is well aware of her husband’s outburst, if she leaves him again.

Reveal hidden contents

episode 10: 
The painting is called “A Self-Portrait Part Two” the first and unfinished version

In the second self-portrait, we also saw a first version (third picture above). Striking is the presence of wood, just like in the first self-portrait. Nevertheless, the wood is different. Here YMR used a table, unlike in the first painting where it looks more like a dead wood. Moreover, there is a presence of a human being in this picture due to the cup of tea and the letter envelope indicating that there is life in this picture. Finally, our painter chose to draw anemones in her painting. She even drew more anemones than cistus. Since the flower is red and the color red is associated to blood and life, I come to the conclusion that YMR’s state of mind has already changed. She has been brought back to life, since the painting is already oozing more life. The first version is still dark, although the beholder can see a ray of sunshine on the table. Yet the light is barely visible. Furthermore the message behind the anemone is “May I confess my love for you?” which illustrates that her heart has started beating again. She is no longer lifeless and loveless. Like she said to SJW, the flowers symbolizes her tears and heart. She can cry now. She has started caring for SJW. Due to the presence of wood in this self-portrait, we can come to the conclusion that YMR hasn’t been able to cut ties entirely with KIW, he is still affecting her life. The wood reveals that she is still suffering from a trauma.

episode 11: “A Self-Portrait Part Two”, the final version

The final version mirrors the evolution of her mental health. It looks like the flowers are actually growing from the table. YMR is able to remove little by little her bad memories, recover these with new good memories. Notice that this time, the flowers are painted with green leaves indicating that the flowers are not cut or put on the table, they look as if they were really alive. Then the ray of sunshine is much more pronounced this time. The dark and gloomy atmosphere has entirely disappeared. There is now more hope. YMR is not back to her old self, yet she has changed a lot. She is alive, feeling many emotions. The presence of a living person is also more visible than in the first version. Now, we see a letter with a feather. It was as if YMR had just left the table. Since YMR is not able to paint herself, this shows how much YMR suffered under KIW. She had lost her identity and her own personality, yet this time, YMR has found the courage to show to the world that she exists with different items: the envelopes, the letter and the feather. Naturally, she has another reason now, not to draw her face, since she has received the face of WHK. This second self-portrait still outlines her identity loss but unlike in the first self-portrait, the beholder can realize that YMR is searching for her own identity. She is trying with all her might to find her own place that’s what the growing flowers are representing. The flowers are trying to find their place in that table, it looks like the flowers want to cover the table, a symbol for her attempt to forget her painful experience and memories. As conclusion, YMR is no longer pessimistic and desperate. She is alive, feeling many positive emotions and she is hoping that she can leave her past behind.

When YMR offered SJW her self-portrait, SJW could connect her painting to the famous painting of Frida Kahlo, a famous Mexican painter. Both characters were referring to that following picture, the wounded deer:

Frida Kahlo: wounded deer, 1946

Back then, Frida Kahlo had just been surged on her spine but her surgery had not been successful. Unlike in YMR’s self-portraits, Frida used an animal in order to represent herself. However, the deer has her face. Notice how the surroundings can give us a clue about Frida Kahlo’s state of mind. The forest looks lifeless, the trees are leafless, even one tree has lost a branch which lies on the ground. The dead nature embodies broken body of the painter. Furthermore, the colors (brown and beige) give a gloomy and pessimistic impression. The sun is not visible, just like there is no wave in the sea. All these elements put together make the beholder feel that there is no life and no energy. Frida Kahlo is heartbroken and broken physically. Moreover, the painter used an unreal perspective for the wounded deer. It doesn’t look like it is standing on its feet, but it doesn’t look like it is lying on the ground either. In my opinion, Frida wants to underline how terrible her physical situation is: she is not really paralyzed but she can not move freely either. She can not rest in the end. The arrows symbolize the surgery and the pain in her spine due to the surgery as the arrows are situated all around her spine. As you can see, the deer mirrors Frida Kahlo’s situation and feelings as the deer has Frida’s face. The Mexican painter is feeling powerless and she is showing her pain and despair to the world through her painting. YMR is in a different situation as she has lost her identity, unlike Frida Kahlo, that’s why the flowers have no face at all or there is no human being represented among her flowers. However, I am expecting YMR to be capable to drew a third self-portrait later which will be similar to her first painting that KIW saw in the beginning.

Reveal hidden contents

A woman holding a sword lily

We know that this week, YMR will leave SJW’s side as she will use WHK’s death to her advantage. By forcing SJW to declare WHK dead, KIW will be cornered. WHK was the only link to his wife’s whereabouts. For her, this departure will have a huge impact as she will be able to free herself completely from KIW.

@zenya22 @avondale16 @MidnightRain @ktcjdrama@lolly84

@bebebisous33Wow beautiful. I am also expecting that Ma Ri will find her own strength and no longer look to depend on another, and that is how she will have the strength to face her demons and the demon and win over both her demons and the demon himself. I am anticipating when this happens, as I think this will push KIW's fall to uncontrollable madness. (it will also up the suspense)

Love how you describe her paintings as showing Ma Ri's growth in strength and independence. I could read this and see Ma Ri as you described through her paintings, in my mind. For some reason, (maybe am prejudiced), I could not connect your insightful analysis to the present Ma Ri (PHB). But now that I read what you wrote about the flowers, I could imagine and therefore appreciate the character through your eyes. 

It is startling though that both men, IW and JW fell in love with the painting first before falling for the painter. IW was touched by the painting of the woman holding the lily and may have reminded him as you said of what he wished his mother could have been and when he turned around, he saw the painter and the face of his mother in the painter and he was so touched he stared for a long time and tears flowed. However, because of who he was, that admiration of the painter turned into "ownership". As for JW, the first time he saw the Cistus painting he was also stirred to empathy and compassion. He knew what the painter was trying to convey in the painting even if he did not know who the painter was. He Ra the curator could not see, but JW did. After MR's surgery, he treated MR as a patient and himself as a doctor and a friend who was protecting MR from danger and help give her a start to a life of freedom. It was after Ma Ri invited him for coffee in her flat and saw her paintings that it dawned on JW, Ma Ri was the painter of the cistus self portrait and their friendship became interesting. They were both finding out, that not only were they able to communicate through the paintings but also through the flowers and their meanings as told through the Greek/Roman tragedies. They shared common interest and enjoyed doing things together. They are starting to fall in love except that they are still very much connected to their past. She is running away from a dangerous husband and he is still mentally and emotionally connected to his damaged marriage. It will be interesting to see how both will help the other and come together at the end or not. 

29 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

@bebebisous33Wow beautiful. I am also expecting that Ma Ri will find her own strength and no longer look to depend on another, and that is how she will have the strength to face her demons and the demon and win over both her demons and the demon himself. I am anticipating when this happens, as I think this will push KIW's fall to uncontrollable madness. (it will also up the suspense)

Love how you describe her paintings as showing Ma Ri's growth in strength and independence. I could read this and see Ma Ri as you described through her paintings, in my mind. For some reason, (maybe am prejudiced), I could not connect your insightful analysis to the present Ma Ri (PHB). But now that I read what you wrote about the flowers, I could imagine and therefore appreciate the character through your eyes. 

It is startling though that both men, IW and JW fell in love with the painting first before falling for the painter. IW was touched by the painting of the woman holding the lily and may have reminded him as you said of what he wished his mother could have been and when he turned around, he saw the painter and the face of his mother in the painter and he was so touched he stared for a long time and tears flowed. However, because of who he was, that admiration of the painter turned into "ownership". As for JW, the first time he saw the Cistus painting he was also stirred to empathy and compassion. He knew what the painter was trying to convey in the painting even if he did not know who the painter was. He Ra the curator could not see, but JW did. After MR's surgery, he treated MR as a patient and himself as a doctor and a friend who was protecting MR from danger and help give her a start to a life of freedom. It was after Ma Ri invited him for coffee in her flat and saw her paintings that it dawned on JW, Ma Ri was the painter of the cistus self portrait and their friendship became interesting. They were both finding out, that not only were they able to communicate through the paintings but also through the flowers and their meanings as told through the Greek/Roman tragedies. They shared common interest and enjoyed doing things together. They are starting to fall in love except that they are still very much connected to their past. She is running away from a dangerous husband and he is still mentally and emotionally connected to his damaged marriage. It will be interesting to see how both will help the other and come together at the end or not. 

Thanks a lot for your compliment. :wub:I actually wrote this analysis with you in my mind, hence the compliment coming from you means a lot to me. 

With your observation, you confirmed my interpretation, but you also added another point. SJW was moved by her painting as well which I had completely forgotten. You are right: YMR's painting moved SJW's heart. However, I see two differences:

- SJW met YMR before seeing the painting.

- SJW didn't know the connection between her and the self-portrait which is different from KIW.

SJW was moved by YMR's presence, when she entered his office. He rejected her first but he felt the need to help her. He already felt compassion for her, although he didn't know her situation. So only after connecting YMr with the cistus painting, SJW got closer to her than before. For me, this marks more the starting point of his love for her than the friendship. Notice that after seeing the painting, he chose anenomes for the bouquet as he knew the meaning of this flower. He definitely wanted to confess his love for her. To me, the revelation underlines why SJW fell in love with YMR and not with the person who looks like his wife. 

7 hours ago, zenya22 said:

@zenya22 Not even KIW fell in love with the painting, he was thrilled because it was the face of his mother in that painting and when he turned and saw such a face in front of him, he only had one thing in mind: he wanted her only for himself, wanted the woman who remembered his mother, wanted to take her only for him, to protect her. He wanted to marry her as soon as he saw her. He lock her out of the world because she was so afraid of losing her, just as her mother did. The problem is that the presence of his father is very strong and because of his childhood traumas, his way of loving is misrepresented, twisted. The fear he has of losing the YMR is so great, so deep, that he is going mad because he cannot find her.

On 4/4/2019 at 11:07 PM, sonequeen01 said:

9. [+26,-2]
The two were in the car together, but why did only Park Han Byul become a vegetarian, and Go Ju Won is alive? 

This is too funny, I was puzzled for awhile until I figured the writer meant PHB or the character of PHB became a vegetable .... as in comatose and not a vegetarian :lol:

5 hours ago, zenya22 said:

This is too funny, I was puzzled for awhile until I figured the writer meant PHB or the character of PHB became a vegetable .... as in comatose and not a vegetarian :lol:

I read that line a few times too.... :joy:

8 hours ago, juli® said:
Spoiler

Guys, take a look at this ^^^^^^. Can you imagine the end of the show based on this information from MBC itself? SJW stays with YMR and KIW learns what true love is. Will it be with JHR?

It does not necessarily mean that IW ends with anyone but could also mean that he learns what love is not about ownership but also of letting go and be at peace with it. 

Ma Ri should have just poisoned her husband, her father-in-law, and called it a day. This drama should at least end in her husband's death because that fool refuses to reform and is hell bent on being crazy to the end! This is the most extreme form of complex trauma/borderline personality disorder I have seen in a character (even more than The Last Empress). I think that 20/40 episodes is pushing the envelope for this drama if we have to endure Mr. Psycho Emotionally Unstable for the next 6 hours.

And damn that detective...her dumb tail is a traitor to women everywhere!

24 minutes ago, foreverempress said:

Ma Ri should have just poisoned her husband, her father-in-law, and called it a day. This drama should at least end in her husband's death because that fool refuses to reform and is hell bent on being crazy to the end! This is the most extreme form of complex trauma/borderline personality disorder I have seen in a character (even more than The Last Empress). I think that 20/40 episodes is pushing the envelope for this drama if we have to endure Mr. Psycho Emotionally Unstable for the next 6 hours.

Honestly after 28 episodes I'm no closer to guessing the end than anyone else. I'm a little confused about plot. So now that the poop has hit the fan whats next? , Please don't tell me I have to endure another 12 episodes of KIW Psychotic episodes or another reference to smelling rosemary . Seriously this train left station too far to turn around now. Only thing I can see and feel is a tragic ending on the horizon.

6 hours ago, dolorisbrady said:

Honestly after 28 episodes I'm no closer to guessing the end than anyone else. I'm a little confused about plot. So now that the poop has hit the fan whats next? , Please don't tell me I have to endure another 12 episodes of KIW Psychotic episodes or another reference to smelling rosemary . Seriously this train left station too far to turn around now. Only thing I can see and feel is a tragic ending on the horizon.

Actually, the last two episodes clearly showed a contrast between SJW and KIW, because the latter chose not to look with his heart. SJW realized his own illusion. He fell in love with WHK because of her face and chose to overlook her personality... that's why he said to YMR, he wasn't able to see with his heart. Sure, he also meant that now he could clearly distinguish YMR from his former wife WHK. He was able to see her for whom she is and her face wouldn't remind him of WHK. However, his words implied too that he had been ignoring WHK's personality in the past as he never tried to confront her.

KIW's obsession is definitely worse because he is not just blind but also deaf. After watching the preview, KIW's reaction doesn't surprise me: he wants YMR's face back. So YMR was right: her face was the reason for his obsession, just like he confessed to JHR that YMR reminded him so much of his mother hence he couldn't breath, when he saw YMR for the first time.   

Love in Sadness : a definition of true love

image-2.png?w=660
SJW’s mother is gardening while talking to Yoon Ma Ri.

In the episode 14, we discover why the writer chose to name this drama “Love in Sadness”. In this episode, YMR visits SJW’s mother, Im Yun Hwa (IYH), as she is the director of a nursing facility. Here, IYH shows YMR her garden with her flowers. YMR is now able to understand why SJW loves flowers so much. He got his passion from his mother. In this scene, the mother chooses to plant a gentian and this is what she says to her guest:

image-3.png?w=660
Notice that the gentian here is purple and not dark blue 
Spoiler

gentian-1437284_1920-700x500.jpg

Most of the species have beautiful blue vivid petals.

These words and her action reveal a lot about SJW’s mother. She doesn’t perceive YMR as a burden because she has WHK’s face. In fact, she views the young woman as a good omen. In my opinion, when she explains the origin of the gentian in her garden, she was making an analogy. YMR is like the gentian that suddenly appeared in her garden. No one expected her appearance but she had an impact on SJW’s life and heart. Then during their conversation, IYH explains the meaning of the gentian, love in sadness. For her, if a person can embrace someone’s sorrow, then it is true love. Then she adds that her son is looking for a love like that. With her words, IYH is trying to covey to YMR that her son truly loves her. In this scene, we can see how much IYH loves her son and she wants to make sure that YMR doesn’t misunderstand SJW because he gave her WHK’s face. The viewer already knows that YMR is well aware of SJW’s deep feelings for her. Due to the former episodes, we had the impression that the writer chose this title because of tragic loves (the story of Hyacinth and Adonis) and had more tragedy in his mind. However with this revelation, I came to realize that the writer had a different intention, as love in Sadness has a different meaning: true love. Notice that all this time, SJW, KIW, HSH and JHR have been struggling due to a loved one. But were they really in love? Was it love or obsession or illusion or self-deception?

SJW thought that he loved WHK because he accepted everything from her and never argued with her. He actually fell more in love with her face and lived in an illusion as he never wanted to see WHK for whom she really was. To me, SJW didn’t truly love WHK because he faked happiness. Like IYH said, true love is when a person can embrace his/her partner’s sorrow. Right now, we have the impression that WHK was a selfish and ruthless woman but I believe that WHK might have been hiding a huge secret from SJW and his friends. JHR thinks that WHK had an abortion but just before the accident happened, she had cold hands and she complained about her stomach. I have the feeling that WHK could have been dying. If my theory is correct, she didn’t want to burden her husband’s happiness. Maybe in her own way, she tried to make SJW, HSH and even JHR happy, unaware that SJW had already caught her. She thought that JHR would reveal the abortion to SJW so that it would create a riff between herself and SJW. Maybe she thought that at some point, SJW would turn to JHR and find solace in his friend’s arms. If WHK was really dying, then she feared that SJW wouldn’t be able to overcome her death. As conclusion, it is definitely possible that WHK ruined her reputation on purpose.

Right now, SJW is clearly in love with YMR because he is not afraid of confronting her or risking his own life for her. He knows her trauma and will do anything for her. But now, what about JHR? Does she really love SJW? In my opinion, she is not in love with him. Based on her conversations with KIW, it becomes clear that JHR is longing for love. She has the impression that she has never been loved.

Spoiler

image-4.png?w=660

episode 14

The words she is saying to KIW could be perceived as if she was talking to herself. She thinks that SJW never loved her which is wrong. SJW did love her but as a sister, as a part of his family but for her, it was not love. Furthermore, she blamed her parents because they died so early so that she could never experience love. However, a love coming from the parents is different from the love coming from a man. So SJW with his mother did try to let her experience love but she never saw it as such. She is definitely living in an illusion. She has reduced the meaning of love: love can only be between a man and woman therefore SJW became her obsession. She was loved by SJW but she never viewed it as such because she had a different definition of love. Now, she is trying to woo KIW believing that she is the only one who can fix KIW. She knows what kind of person he is. But does she love KIW? To me, she doesn’t love KIW too. She is just trying to make herself feel better and superior. With her words “YMR who abandoned you” or in an earlier conversation, JHR always implied that YMR had never loved KIW hence he became a monster. By receiving love from her, he will be able to change.

image-5.png?w=660
episode 11

In this scene, JHR implies that YMR never loved her husband sincerely. She thinks that since she knows his true nature (monster, snake-like eyes of yours), she can control and even manipulate him. She thought so because KIW confided a lot to her: he visited her after hurting his fist or when he was too drunk. All this time, JHR thought that she had the upper-hand. Since KIW is a man with strong emotions, she believed that the chaebol would fall for her as she was direct and frank. But her words unveiled her weaknesses: not only her arrogance but also her savior complex. Notice that she did it with SJW once. She also thought that once WHK was dead, she would be able to replace her and become SJW’s wife. Here, she is doing the same with KIW. She is not loving him, she is acting like a psychiatrist. All her attempts unveil that she doesn’t love herself at all in my opinion. She thinks that once a man loves her as a woman, she will feel loved. However, she is deceiving herself. JHR doesn’t know what love is therefore she doesn’t know what true love is. She is not honestly feeling sympathy for KIW’s pain because in reality, she is more talking to herself. She wished, someone would say these words to her. This explains why KIW deceives JHR in the end. He never bought her “sympathy” and her speech for love. Her arrogance made her forget the true personality of KIW: a royal cobra.

As for KIW, it is clear that he has never loved his wife. Like he confessed to JHR in the episode 13, when he saw YMR’s face for the first time, she looked so much like his mother that it took his breath away. KIW is not just suffering from abandonment issues, he doesn’t know what love is. For him, love is possession which he learnt from his father. He treats YMR like an object which he can mistreat, when he feels like it. KIW doesn’t know what true love is as he can not embrace his mother’s sorrow. He resents her for running away all this time and for choosing death over him. For him, love and betrayal are connected to each other that’s why he has always expected that YMR would leave his side. Yet, he has not realized that he was the reason for all this.

Finally, HSH claimed that he loved WHK, however he decided to leave her behind, when she was hurt because he would lose everything: his reputation, his friend aso. Just like IYH said, true love is when someone is loving another in pain and when the partner is having a hard time… HSH was just a selfish person in the end.

@zenya22 @MidnightRain @ktcjdrama@rocher22 @avondale16 @tiMadam @lu09

On 4/5/2019 at 9:59 PM, juli® said:

@zenya22 Not even KIW fell in love with the painting, he was thrilled because it was the face of his mother in that painting and when he turned and saw such a face in front of him, he only had one thing in mind: he wanted her only for himself, wanted the woman who remembered his mother, wanted to take her only for him, to protect her. He wanted to marry her as soon as he saw her. He lock her out of the world because she was so afraid of losing her, just as her mother did. The problem is that the presence of his father is very strong and because of his childhood traumas, his way of loving is misrepresented, twisted. The fear he has of losing the YMR is so great, so deep, that he is going mad because he cannot find her.

KIW was in an art exhibit looking at paintings and his aesthetic sense/cognizance was attracted to the painting of Ma Ri first because of the similarity of the face to the mother and what that painting represents as in what @bebebisous33 had explained about the flowers. There was something in the woman and the lily that touched his heart. If not for his attraction to this particular painting he could have just passed through and not turn around to see Ma Ri. He paused to admire the painting for sometime first because something attracted his attention to the painting before he turned around to see Ma Ri and saw the likeness of his mother's face to Ma Ri. KIW has been buying paintings from galleries and even from the small Kyung gallery as his father's secretary explained, not only of his wife's paintings but of others which (for me) shows his artistic bent. In the ugly hellish and tyrannical world of his father that he lived and still lives in, the one thing that connects him to goodness and beauty which eases his tortured soul are his affinity to the paintings and his attachment to Mari who looks like his mother but also the painter of the art....his one connection to sanity and his one saving grace. When he first saw the cistus painting, he said that the cistus flower is just like Ma Ri and why Ma Ri named it "self portrait". However, what he "loves" and what connects him to the beauty of life are also what drives his obsession and his irrational and abject fear of abandonment= his wife, the painter of the art that he loves, leaving him.  Right now, the one particular painting that draws him is the painting of the tilting ship being battered by savage waves. For IW, he sees the ship as his wife lost and surviving in the stormy seas of the world out there which is different from what, I think, MR was trying to communicate, that the violent waves represents KIW and the tilting ship herself. So, if KIW at the end of the story, learns what true love is all about, is when he sees or interprets the painting of the tilting ship from the painter's point of view. That he, KIW, represents the violent seas destroying and almost capsizing the beautiful ship, Ma Ri. It is only when he sees what the painting really means that he is the cause of his own misery, that maybe the start of a change in his mindset begins and he learns about true love. 

I have a feeling here that KIW's love of art maybe connected to his mother, that his mother may have been an art connoiseur or a painter but was not allowed to practice her art. Which is why Ma Ri is allowed and even encouraged to paint but exclusively for KIW's eyes only. The drama is slowly revealing pieces of information regarding the characters histories and relationships as in WHK, Dr Ha, HR and KIW. Maybe we will know more about KIW's mother. 

I am truly disliking the stepmother of KIW. She reminds me of butler Jang in LMIH who did everything to encourage the battering of the wife and her failed attempt to have the wife killed,  so she could marry the husband herself. Even after the husband promised to marry the butler and then mercilessly beat her, the wealth she thought she was entitled when she becomes the wife, was well worth the beatings, just like KIW's stepmother said, she did not mind, as long as "nobody knows". 

These weekend's episodes show the worsening of KIW's erratic thinking and behavior powered by his obsession for his wife, his fear of losing of his position of power in his father's company, his strained relationship and battles with his father and his dislike of his stepmother. He Ra thinks that she has the upperhand but it is goofy that KIW thinks the same way of her. IW invades her place as if he owns it and rebukes and jeers at He Ra for using JW's favorite cup, listening to KIW's favorite music and asks how she can live the way she does. At the gallery, He Ra started talking about IW's childhood abuse and relationship with his father and KIW acts like he was affected by going into hysterical keening and then turns around laughing and asking if He Ra thought she was a pychiatrist, then in blink of an eye becomes menacing pointing a gun at He Ra. KIW is one patient who can give a psychiatrist/psychologist their worst nightmare and KIW and HR are the character combo that makes this drama more forcefully bonkers. This particular scene at the gallery also was depicted in the J drama but this K drama version is more dramatic as it emphasizes the insanity of IW's mind. My question is how does KIW know about JW's favorite cup and favorite music in Hae Ra's apartment and how does Hae Ra know about IW's childhood trauma and abuse? His public life as a successful business man was well known but no one knew of his private life except that he is "devoted" to his wife. KIW is a very private person who only "socializes" with his wife and his dog whom he seems to love because the dog is loyal. So, Hae Ra may have communicated with someone close to IW to know that much about him. I don't think IW would have told her. I love, love, love Dr Seo Jung Won especially because he is a naturalist doctor and I love his mom. But his love affair with this version of Ma Ri seems passionless and I don't know why I can't get into it. I was more emotionally connected to his "love affair" with his wife when she was alive and when she was comatose. 

13 hours ago, dolorisbrady said:

I think the future and following episodes will show the events that will lead to the shooting in the pool. That is the bigger poop that will hit the fan. Who shot the man falling into the swimming pool and why. Will the man die or will he survive? KIW already found his mother in law. He did not remove the mother in law but he has posted men around the area for Ma Ri to show up but the men don't know that Ma Ri had changed her face. Also, Ma Ri had asked JW to take care of her mother and they had gone to visit JW's mom who said that she is willing to take Ma Ri's mom as her patient in her convalescent home. Will JW be able to move the mother. Will Ma Ri be able to escape IW a second time and end up in the shooting in the swimming pool? Will it be the end of KIW or the beginning of his redemption? 

@zenya22 crazy monkeyThank you so much for analyzing the painting with the rosemary and the ship.  You are definitely correct. admire2 onion headKIW interprets the picture differently from what YMR is actually trying to say. good job onion head Now, I feel the need to complete your analysis of this painting.  image.png 

From YMR's perspective, this painting could be perceived in two different ways:

• She is the lost ship using the bottle with the rosemary as she is sending a SOS. Yes, the sea could symbolize KIW trying to control YMR. The fury of the sea and the storm fits to KIW's rage and violence. She could drown if the power of the sea is too strong illustrating that if she is caught, she might die.
  • The second meaning is different. Since YMR's name resembles the plant rosemary, the bottle could embody YMR leaving KIW, the huge ship. The plant is so small compared to the ship which mirrors KIW's power and wealth. Don't forget that I had already pointed out that SJW and YMR are connected to nature, while KIW is associated through his fortune to civilization. This picture not only represents her last attempt to escape from KIW's claws, it also symbolizes the despair of YMR. She is even willing to risk her own life as she has no idea if she will be found and rescued. The picture illustrates her courage as she entrusts  her destiny to nature and chance.

Concerning our antihero, KIW interprets this painting in the opposite way: KIW is the rosemary in the bottle, while YMR is the ship. In his eyes, the ship is abandoning the rosemary. He doesn't see the struggle of the titling ship. For him, the painting illustrates the abandonment and betrayal of YMR. Like he kept saying before, without her he can not live and this picture illustrates his own thoughts. He still sees himself as a powerless man depending on his wife. The huge waves and the storm represents the world menacing him: his father, his step-mother and his other enemies. Without her guidance, KIW considers himself as lost and he needs her by his side so that he can overcome this dangerous world. But if we see it from his perspective, his interpretation indicates his blindness. He overlooks that the rosemary hasn't been thrown away, but it was put in a bottle as a protection so that it can not drown. Moreover, like I had mentioned it before, he overlooks the problem that the ship is facing. He also ignores the significance of this gesture: titling ship asking for help. As conclusion, KIW's interpretation of that painting outshines KIW's lack of self-awareness. He doesn't see himself as a dangerous and violent man, somehow he seems to be trapped in the past, as if he was a little boy. 

To sum up, the interpretation of a painting is also influenced by the beholder's mentality. Sure, if we know more about the painter, the beholder is able to understand the emotions and the message of the creator, yet the beholder is free to interpret the picture differently, I mean, to add a different meaning/message. In the end, there is no right or wrong, by analyzing a picture.

@ktcjdrama @lolly84 @avondale16 @rocher22@MidnightRain @lu09 @tiMadam  

5 hours ago, zenya22 said:

My question is how does KIW know about JW's favorite cup and favorite music in Hae Ra's apartment and how does Hae Ra know about IW's childhood trauma and abuse?

I wonder the same thing as well.  Who told her the info about IW and who told him about JW's favorite cup.   I assumed that they both shared the info as he visited her often so he can get her to confess or help him piece the puzzle as he mentions to her in ep 26 (ep13).

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Just like IYH said, true love is when someone is loving another in pain and when the partner is having a hard time

Love is kind, patient and long suffering.    

12 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

that's why he said to YMR, he wasn't able to see with his heart.

Loving with what we see vs loving with the heart.  Loving someone through hardships and loving them when they are not really lovable is long suffering and it takes patient to love the person through the pain.  

Enjoyed watching the scene with IW and HR.   The ep today made ask what is love? 

@bebebisous33 loved the analysis of "Love in Sadness" and @zenya22  love the analysis of the painting as well..IW may also view the painting that YMR is his savior so even if his in the shipwrecked she will save him from drowning. 

The importance of camera position

Now let’s take a closer look at the camera position in Love In Sadness. Striking is that the director often uses a duplication of a character. This special effect was first used with YMR.

Spoiler

image-2.png?w=605
image-3.png?w=605

By duplicating Yoon Ma Ri, the director wanted to convey an important message. Notice that the second version is fading away, she is disappearing. And this is no coincidence. YMR is about to lose herself, her soul by remaining by her husband's side. She is not even allowed to choose her own clothes. She lives trapped in a cage hence the window with the bare reflects her actual position: she is a prisoner. She is not even allowed to paint outdoors which explains why her latest painting looks so gloomy and depressing. She can no longer paint as she has run out of energy and inspiration. So this explains why the second YMR is disappearing, she is about to lose her own identity and her soul. 

image-6.png?w=660
SJW in the episode 13

The director had used the same special effect with SJW in an earlier episode so this is the second time that SJW is shown twice. Here, SJW is eating alone in his dining room. YMR wants to keep her distance from him until he knows how to face YMR. She will wait for him until he will solely think of her with this face. This taking should be perceived that way: the old SJW is slowly disappearing, the man who loved WHK but was hurt by her. As time passes on, SJW starts missing YMR more and more. This taking reinforces the loneliness of the surgeon but also his need for YMR’s presence. In this scene, there is no dialogue at all however the director is trying to convey SJW’s inner thoughts and feelings. Just like in the other scene mentioned above, the camera is placed behind a glass so that the viewer can feel that SJW has been living in a prison that he created himself.

image-9.png?w=660
KIW with his gun: episode 14

Spoiler

image-8.png?w=660
image-10.png?w=660

Before I start analyzing this scene, it is important to put this scene in the context. Finally KIW has been able to locate YMR’s mother. He even heard that YMR had been there just before his arrival and he even missed her for a few minutes. Moreover, he has realized the connection between YMR and the surgeon SJW because YMR’s mother mentioned the presence of her son-in-law. KIW is upset and even jealous that YMR seems to have replaced him with another man, he already suspects the doctor. We shouldn’t forget that KIW had a nightmare a few nights ago (episode 13), where he dreamt, he was running after his bride YMR, only to witness the appearance of another groom. When he is finally able to reach YMR, he identifies the groom as SJW and is surprised to discover that the bride running away was WHK which confused him.

Spoiler

image-11.png?w=660
KIW’s nightmare: he has already perceived the truth unconsciously: YMR has WHK’s face.
image-12.png?w=660
SJW with YMR: they are already in love
image-13.png?w=660
KIW is sure that the bride running away from him is YMR
image-14.png?w=660
KIW is shocked to see WHK’s face.

So now our antihero KIW knows that there is a man around YMR therefore KIW returns home, totally upset and enraged. Even YMR’s mother dared to call the other man her son-in-law. KIW has the impression that his worst nightmare has become true. However, he still doesn’t know that YMR has WHK’s face. Just like in the other duplication scenes, the camera is put behind the window, we can also see the frame reinforcing the idea that KIW lives in his own world, a prison he has created himself. So after his arrival, he takes the gun from the dresser. If you look at the first picture of this scene, KIW is seen twice. However, it changes a little because the two pictures reveals that the duplication is incomplete. It was as if there were three KIW standing, yet the two other reflections are partially visible. This mirrors his own inner conflict: will he use the gun or not? Notice that his gaze is always directed at the gun. So far, KIW has never revealed this side of him in front of other people. Only YMR could see this terrible and dangerous side. But his rage and violence is so huge that at the end, he is resolved to use the gun.

image-7.png?w=660
The final taking of the same scene: KIW with his gun

That’s why the viewer sees this duplication at the end. KIW is determined to use violence in order to catch his wife. To me, the second reflection represents the monster in him which is now visible. The snake that has been hiding behind his charisma and his mysterious aura is now shown to the world. He doesn’t care anymore about his reputation. This explains why KIW wears his leather jacket and threatens HSH and later JHR. He is even more vicious with JHR because he resents her for her manipulation and her arrogance.

Spoiler

image-15.png?w=660

This is when he aims his gun at JHR’s face

Unlike in the former taking, KIW is now aiming his gun at a real person, while before he was just aiming at the window. To conclude, the effect of duplication is often used by this director in order to let the viewers perceive what the characters are thinking and feeling but also to reflect their own situation. All of them are living in a cage, caught by fear and by their own past and emotions. The only difference is that YMR’s cage was not self-created in opposition to SJW and KIW.

@zenya22 @MidnightRain @lolly84 @avondale16 @ktcjdrama @tiMadam @lu09

Another thing that stood out for me is the reaction of KIW's father to Ma Ri posing as HK meeting KIW in his office. At the lobby of the GunHwa Group's building one of the employees walking with Chairman Kang recognized HK/Ma Ri and stopped her adressing her as the Director of the Kyung Gallery and the Chairman turned around to look at Mari and shook her hands. MR said that she was grateful that IW has rated their gallery highly by making a contract with their gallery. The chairman looked at MR saying "your gallery is just one small store, so I am wondering what attracted my son to your gallery." By then IW who was notified that his father was talking to MR at the lobby, ran down to grab Ma Ri's hand and instinctively put her behind him as if protecting her from his father which made the father look at IW surprised. As Ma Ri followed IW to the elevator, the father stared at them with an expression of curiosity. The times that KIW actively tangled or fought against his father was when he was shielding MR from his father's physical or verbal attacks or defending his mother "don't speak about my mother" from his father's disparagement of his mother. IW's reactions I think made the father more curious. I wonder what his father will do when he finds out that the woman HK is MR? 

This drama differs from the original as the original focused on the drama of the main characters but this drama included families such as the chaebol family of IW, the mom of JW, MR's mom and friends and business partners. Since the article posted by @juli®  says that IW will know true love I wonder what his ending will be. I am hoping that he will tell his father to shove his company up his behind and leave. The picture that Ha gave to JW of IW and his mom showed the mother holding the little boy protectively and the boy leaning on his mother's side. Both their faces sullen and the boy's face showed some fear and dependency/trust on the mother's arm holding him protectively. I hope that through therapy he will see his mother not through the eyes of his father but through the eyes of the little boy who was loved by the mother. Maybe he will remember the times when he was alone with mom, what mom taught him about art, playing games with mom, reading books with mom or other caring things that a mom would do for her child. That he was a child and what happened to mom because of his dad was not his fault that he could not protect mom and he was not responsible for what happened to mom. Maybe he finds out what he really wants to do and leave his father's abusive house and influence. 

Archived