[Drama 2019] Love in Sadness, 슬플 때 사랑한다

0ly40

54 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Hi all, I haven't really watched the series, because not really in the mood for a melo now, but am very intrigued by the story. 

So, if Mari's face already changed to one that is not resembling the face of Inwook's mother, what's the reason/point of his continued obsession with her then? 

Maybe he's gonna realize that he truly does love her for her and wants her back. Or maybe he's gonna get his own revenge on her because she had the "nerve" to change her face.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Gaia2u said:

Whether the males leads are to be identified with tragic or comic figures of fiction & opera, both males have an obsession. Even if for strategic reasons ( and storyline) doc recreates his wife's face , it's creepy,,,, poor Mari, like the women in opera and the classics, her options depend so much on the whims of the male figures. For both Catherine and Adina, "respectable' marriage was almost the only option,. Imagine no real say on with whom you will spend your intimate life with. To say Catherine rejected Heathcliff because he was beneath her, is not to understand the story. She understood the destruction in that "love", was indeed destroyed by it...all the characters comic & tragic, try to break out of the confines society imposes - the sicker ones do so violently ...

It is hard to see such domestic abuse, it is a matter most serious. LMIH was done, for the most part, well. May LiS do as well 

Well, maybe I didn't express myself very well. However, Catherine decided to marry Edgar Linton because he represented a better party as he came from a higher social status. So she chose to follow the rules set by society. For her, love wasn't enough a good reason to marry Heathcliff. For her, it looked like that was the only option... however, if you compare the novel from her sister Anne Bronte, The tenant of Wildfell Hall, you will notice that the author wanted to criticize such a mindset.  In this novel, the main character Helen Graham left her husband who was abusive and alcoholic, even if she had to suffer gossip and earn her own money. In her marriage, Helen Graham lived in misery, this was the consequence: she had exactly followed the rules set by society. Her husband seems to be a good party on the paper... yet what matters the most is the personality. 

As for the doctor, he recreated his wife's face after YMR had suggested it. He could give her the face of the person he likes... which he did. If he had been obsessed with his wife's face, he wouldn't have been so shocked after taking away the bandage. First, he had problems to see her face.

@zenya22

Hae Ra the curator makes a lot of judgement about situations she knows nothing of. Jung Won told her before he went abroad to attend a conference to look after Ha Kyung and if Mari calls to tell her that he is in a conference and he will be back. Instead Hae Ra tells Ma Ri that she will get Jung Won in trouble and to call the police. She has no idea who the woman is, or what situation she is in and told her that even if she changes her face she still can be traced from her social security etc. The problem is, obsession and domestic abuse is psychologically and emotionally complex and calling the police is sometimes not the proper solution. Many women get killed from trying to leave their abusive partners. Sometimes it takes a whole identity change to get away but it gets more complicated with children. I am not surprised and I understand why she is shocked and maybe angered at why Jung Won chose to change the face of Mari into Ha Kyung's face. Ha Kyung afterall was her best friend, the wife of Jung Won and she just died. She maybe feeling betrayed for Ha Kyung and may even question Jung Won's state of mind. It is understandable. However, I think the more she tries to get Mari away from Jung Won, the more JW will defend and protect Mari. Hae Ra also is right to be concerned about Jung Won's medical license if people will know about what he did. People may defend him and others condemn him for malpractice. 

How will Hae Ra react though, when she realizes the artist she has been looking for is Mari/Ha Kyung? I wonder when In Wook will visit the gallery and see the "Self Portrait" in there. Not to mention Jung Won's mom. How will she react? 

Hae Ra is actually meddling in SJW's life and acts as if she was his wife. Hae Ra is a jealous woman and I am sure that her so called friendship with HK was rather a lie. Hae Ra resented HK for taking SJW away from her. Their meeting at the shop concerning the dress revealed rivalry and tension between them but also a certain hypocrisy. Hae Ra feels threatened, especially when SJW talks for the first time about a woman. All this time, he was dedicated to HK and never paid attention to anyone else. Now all of the sudden, he says that he wants to help a woman, to protect her. Since Hae Ra has already experienced how she lost SJW to HK after one meeting, she is fearing the same.

Doctor Ha knew and knows that Hae Ra loves SJW and even mentioned it in front of SJW, yet the latter didn't even listen to their conversation. Hae Ra will never catch SJW's attention because she is already put in the category "family". SJW hasn't caught yet what Hae Ra has been doing behind his back. She lied to him on many occasions... like promising to look for a lawyer which she never did. At some point, Hae Ra will be the one who reveals the secret to KIW in order to get rid of YMR.

Her advises are dishonest and selfish. She uses the excuse of the possibility of "losing his medical license" in order to put YMR and SJW under pressure. Fact is that if the client doesn't complain or file against the doctor, why should he lose his medical license? It might be ethically wrong but legally it is not. Moreover, there are people who go under plastic surgery in order to try to look like their idol.... In reality, it is not possible to look like the same. The skull is different aso. Hae Ra is bothered by the face for another reason: she feels that she can never get SJW's heart, if there is this surrogate close to SJW.

Besides, I see a huge difference between KIW and SJW. The latter already wanted to help YMR before she looked like his wife. He already felt the need to protect her. Furthermore he had even created a face for her before he changed his mind after hearing from her that he could use a face that he likes. SJW let her leave and wanted her to set her free... his intention was never to live next to her. While the other is trying to put her in a cage, the other did the opposite. Yet, unlike in WIK's case, YMR ran back to SJW as she needed again his help. YMR knows quite early that she looks like his deceased wife but she is not upset because she realizes that she had indirectly suggested it. Now, she feels that his kindness and care are triggered by her face. In my opinion, she is wrong as it started way before.    

@ktcjdrama So far, the drama is good. I can recommend it.  

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Hae Ra is actually meddling in SJW's life and acts as if she was his wife. Hae Ra is a jealous woman and I am sure that her so called friendship with HK was rather a lie. Hae Ra resented HK for taking SJW away from her. Their meeting at the shop concerning the dress revealed rivalry and tension between them but also a certain hypocrisy.

@bebebisous33Yes, I saw that, she chose the same dress Ha Kyung chose at the shop and Ha Kyung was not pleased. I am wondering now if Hae Ra meddled with Jung Won and Ha Kyung's marriage, that her competitiveness wore off on Ha Kyung and may have given Ha Kyung the push to have an affair. Her meeting with new face Mari was also very telling and it worries me. When Mari said that she was grateful to Jung Won for giving her a chance to live, "saving her life", Hae Ra responded with, "Jung Won has no feelings for you" which had nothing to do with what Mari said. Mari said she was grateful, nothing about JW's feelings. Then she told Mari to disappear out of JW's life because he might get in trouble, that JW recreated his wife's face on the day his wife died because he is unhinged mentally.

Yes, it is not easy to accuse any doctor of malpractice with just hearsay and rumors. However, this is a place where reputation/face/honor is most valued and gossip  can stain reputation to destruction. I am concerned about Hae Ra. She told JW's mom that HW did not report HK's death yet. That is concerning. That JW has created the face of his wife on another woman and that woman lives with him and he has not reported the death of his wife. That sounds very spooky and that as Hae Ra said an unstable emotional decision vs professional and yes, malpractice especially when the woman whose face was changed was dependent on him for her life. No matter what JW's intentions were, if he does not heed Hae Ra's warnings, that could destroy him.  Hae Ra is also obsessed with JW and as you said a very jealous woman. She has been in love with him and JW does not even see it but for all her life she could not look at other possibilities for a love partner, her eyes are only glued to JW. The fact that she is the only one yet who knows about Mari is Hae Ra's edge because she could use it to destroy JW and Ma Ri if she does not get what she wants. 

The dress that she bought with Ha Kyung, now Hae Ra questions if JW gave Ha Kyung's dress to "that woman". Now, she has an idea of who Ma Ri's husband is. 

2 hours ago, MidnightRain said:

Ahh, I'm so obsessed with this show. I already cannot wait for next week and also they need to release the ost lol.

@MidnightRain Me too, especially In Wook, can't wait to see next week. I hope we do get more flash backs of Park Hana's character of the abused and terrified Mari. I miss her too. Park Ha Na and RSY are so good together. They really clicked.

21 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

@bebebisous33Yes, I saw that, she chose the same dress Ha Kyung chose at the shop and Ha Kyung was not pleased. I am wondering now if Hae Ra meddled with Jung Won and Ha Kyung's marriage, that her competitiveness wore off on Ha Kyung and may have given Ha Kyung the push to have an affair. Her meeting with new face Mari was also very telling and it worries me. When Mari said that she was grateful to Jung Won for giving her a chance to live, "saving her life", Hae Ra responded with, "Jung Won has no feelings for you" which had nothing to do with what Mari said. Mari said she was grateful, nothing about JW's feelings. Then she told Mari to disappear out of JW's life because he might get in trouble, that JW recreated his wife's face on the day his wife died because he is unhinged mentally.

Yes, it is not easy to accuse any doctor of malpractice with just hearsay and rumors. However, this is a place where reputation/face/honor is most valued and gossip  can stain reputation to destruction. I am concerned about Hae Ra. She told JW's mom that HW did not report HK's death yet. That is concerning. That JW has created the face of his wife on another woman and that woman lives with him and he has not reported the death of his wife. That sounds very spooky and that as Hae Ra said an unstable emotional decision vs professional and yes, malpractice especially when the woman whose face was changed was dependent on him for her life. No matter what JW's intentions were, if he does not heed Hae Ra's warnings, that could destroy him.  Hae Ra is also obsessed with JW and as you said a very jealous woman. She has been in love with him and JW does not even see it but for all her life she could not look at other possibilities for a love partner, her eyes are only glued to JW. The fact that she is the only one yet who knows about Mari is Hae Ra's edge because she could use it to destroy JW and Ma Ri if she does not get what she wants. 

The dress that she bought with Ha Kyung, now Hae Ra questions if JW gave Ha Kyung's dress to "that woman". Now, she has an idea of who Ma Ri's husband is. 

@MidnightRain Me too, especially In Wook, can't wait to see next week. I hope we do get more flash backs of Park Hana's character of the abused and terrified Mari. I miss her too. Park Ha Na and RSY are so good together. They really clicked.

I agree with you. Striking is that Hae Ra is trying so hard to convince YMR that SJW is mentally unhinged so that YMR might get scared and leave SJW. Hae Ra is not different from KIW in my opinion. She is just as obsessed as he is. It is just that she doesn't use physical strength or violence in order to get what she wants. She has no problem to abandon people for her own interest. In reality, she uses her words in order to hurt people, to push them away. She knew that YMR was an abused woman and she knew that calling the police wouldn't help her. She looked down on YMR's solution: a new face. HR is not really different from KIW: "mental abuse". YMR had tears in her eyes while hearing HR. She felt abandoned and betrayed.

So you might be right: Hae Ra might have been the one who pushed HK to have an affair with doctor Ha. She is very manipulative in reality. 

Now, she has leverage over YMR but the problem for her will be SJW. If he keeps meddling in YMR's life, he might become the target of KIW. That's why I believe, she won't betray SJW first. For the curator, it was as if the ghost of HK had appeared in order to torment her. 

5 hours ago, chdom said:

The husband has too much of an upperhand. It seems he catches on real quick that MR is HK. Despite having received the operation she still can’t rest. It’s that darn purple dress!

I come into these shows expecting wacky storylines but I really dislike unnecessary moments of stupidity to try and move the story along quicker.

She has meticulously planned her escape but turns on her phone at the place she was sleeping (which was near the sea) before she got to the "suicide" spot giving her husband a headstart in getting there, for a reason I can't fathom? Why wouldn't you turn it on at the spot just as you're about to leave? This then results in her running in the woods late at night, losing her bag and shoes which is a big indication she's alive. Considering how well she planned her moms escape what was that about. They could have given him a different way into figuring out she was alive.

Show hasn't really grabbed me yet but willing to give it a couple more episodes as intrigued in the storyline. Sort of wish the actress roles were reversed as well, need more Park Ha Na in my life.  

The song that gets played often (was played during his wifes funeral) is a nice song but seems very out of place in sad scenes like that - feel like it's the kind of song I'd be chilling somewhere to. Also can see the second female lead being crazy annoying as she takes on the classic mantle of jealous/crazy second lead syndrome.

The story is moving quickly though 

25 minutes ago, anony12345 said:

She has meticulously planned her escape but turns on her phone at the place she was sleeping (which was near the sea) before she got to the "suicide" spot giving her husband a headstart in getting there, for a reason I can't fathom? Why wouldn't you turn it on at the spot just as you're about to leave? This then results in her running in the woods late at night, losing her bag and shoes which is a big indication she's alive. Considering how well she planned her moms escape what was that about. They could have given him a different way into figuring out she was alive.

I so agree. I questioned that too. Why turn on the phone early and not when she was at sea? Another thing is that she already knows she will be on the run why carry a bag, why not travel light? She has a large coat, why not get a plastic carrier or a purse for her ID and cash that could fit into her coat pockets? Yes they could have given a different way for obsessed husband to find out she was alive. 

1 hour ago, anony12345 said:

I come into these shows expecting wacky storylines but I really dislike unnecessary moments of stupidity to try and move the story along quicker.

Show hasn't really grabbed me yet but willing to give it a couple more episodes as intrigued in the storyline. Sort of wish the actress roles were reversed as well, need more Park Ha Na in my life.  

The song that gets played often (was played during his wifes funeral) is a nice song but seems very out of place in sad scenes like that - feel like it's the kind of song I'd be chilling somewhere to. Also can see the second female lead being crazy annoying as she takes on the classic mantle of jealous/crazy second lead syndrome.

The story is moving quickly though 

Well, I have to agree on one thing: losing her shoes felt weird because she had shoes with shoelaces. On the other hand, I do understand why YMR turned on her phone. Actually, she was using her phone to lure him. @zenya22 She needed him to come to her hence she turned it on earlier. She wanted him to find her really quickly so that he would believe in her suicide. She gave him time to come to her. If her bag and shoes had been found days after, then he would have doubted her death and seen it as staged. But since they were right after her, there was not much time for her to disappear. Her suicide had to look recent and quick. However, KIW noticed the sound in the woods and went after her. 

As for the bag, I would have tried to take it right away but KIW was close to her hence I can understand why she gave it up.

But she made a stupid move, when she went there much later.

Well, I have to agree on one thing: losing her shoes felt weird because she had shoes with shoelaces. On the other hand, I do understand why YMR turned on her phone. Actually, she was using her phone to lure him. @zenya22 She needed him to come to her hence she turned it on earlier. She wanted him to find her really quickly so that he would believe in her suicide. She gave him time to come to her. If her bag and shoes had been found days after, then he would have doubted her death and seen it as staged. But since they were right after her, there was not much time for her to disappear. Her suicide had to look recent and quick. However, KIW noticed the sound in the woods and went after her. 

As for the bag, I would have tried to take it right away but KIW was close to her hence I can understand why she gave it up.

Yes, but she needed the money. My question is, how did she get the money for an escape since he controlled it closely, that kept her under short reins.

Just now, juli® said:

Yes, but she needed the money. My question is, how did she get the money for an escape since he controlled it closely, that kept her under short reins.

I know that she needed the money but honestly she spent weeks at the hospital for her recovery so after all this time, the chance to get the money was very thin. 

On 2/24/2019 at 10:25 AM, anony12345 said:

Jeez, it was Park Ha Na I was talking about, devastated right now :( She's up there with Suzy Bae and Lee Min Jung for me,  can't believe she's 33. She doesn't seem to be in any dramas that aren't dailies but will keep an eye out on her future projects. 

Anyway finished the second episode and there's some intrigue there so will keep on watching despite the lack of Park Ha Na now.

I'm going to assume the guy his wife was driving with is his surgeon buddy, as in these shows it's always someone you know. His sort of sister has a crush on him? 

Also the female lead will be going from one husband seeing her more as his mom and now another seeing her as his comatose wife. I really hope they don't open up too many more crazy storylines and develop the ones they've set out so far and make it into a psychological thriller. As soon as Korean shows continuously start various plot threads I have absolutely zero belief that the show won't go to crap as they struggle to keep it together. 

Also does no-one find the OST a bit off so far? Intermittent classic pieces and then the sort of rock/rap song when the crazy lead is acting abusive hasn't really worked for me. Though I'm probably currently spoilt as I watched Chicago Typewriter before this where the OST and background music is so on point but still, it could be more subtle.

But it was not always like this, just violence, In-Wook remembers the happy moments they had.

Not sure how it would have been days later as it shows her eating, turning her phone on, then leaving to the "suicide" spot. So at most they get there a few hours later which gives her plenty of time to get away without having to run through the forest at night. Which would more than negate all the issues she ended up having.

Don't think there's any logical reasoning for her doing what she did other than the writers wanting to manufacture some suspense when he's in the woods.

There is no doubt that he has severe psychological problems that need proper treatment. Honestly, I feel pity for him, have a father like that, watch his own mother's death, not to mention that he saw his father hit her countless times, it should not be easy and it affects anyone's sanity.

4 minutes ago, anony12345 said:

Not sure how it would have been days later as it shows her eating, turning her phone on, then leaving to the "suicide" spot. So at most they get there a few hours later which gives her plenty of time to get away without having to run through the forest at night. Which would more than negate all the issues she ended up having.

Don't think there's any logical reasoning for her doing what she did other than the writers wanting to manufacture some suspense when he's in the woods.

From my point of view, only one day had passed after her disappearance. She just needed to bring her mother to a different institute, then she moved to a different place close to the sea in order to fake her suicide. Hence she just gave them a few hours, when she switched on her phone. It was already sunset, when KIW reached the coast. The minions arrived much earlier (30 minutes before him).

But you are right about one thing: the timing was weird as KIW was so close to her later in the woods. The writer wanted to create some tension and suspense.    

So I saw episodes 5-6 and I see that him giving her his wife's face was an accident. It makes me feel more sorry for him especially when he doesn't know that his wife was having an affair, most likely with his co-worker who caused the accident.

Does anybody else not like HR? Like as a fellow woman herself, she should be trying to help MR. Reach out to her, something! She's being abused and she's tried everything to get out! The only way out at that point was by try changing her face. Who is HR to judge? Hmm? No for her it's like that's not my problem and I want her away from JW so she can have him to herself. She knows MR's story and instead of helping her escape from this man, you're just pushing her back to him. Just help her change her face and she's gone, you don't have to do anything else! And I feel she would snitch to IW. She would snitch to the abusive husband, I just know it!:rage:

3 minutes ago, scarletlover1 said:

So I saw episodes 5-6 and I see that him giving her his wife's face was an accident. It makes me feel more sorry for him especially when he doesn't know that his wife was having an affair, most likely with his co-worker who caused the accident.

Does anybody else not like HR? Like as a fellow woman herself, she should be trying to help MR. Reach out to her, something! She's being abused and she's tried everything to get out! The only way out at that point was by try changing her face. Who is HR to judge? Hmm? No for her it's like that's not my problem and I want her away from JW so she can have him to herself. She knows MR's story and instead of helping her escape from this man, you're just pushing her back to him. Just help her change her face and she's gone, you don't have to do anything else! And I feel she would snitch to IW. She would snitch to the abusive husband, I just know it!:rage:

I think that too (about snitch to KIW). I also think that she will get involved romantically with him, I don't know why I think that but its a feeling...

28 minutes ago, juli® said:

I think that too (about snitch to KIW). I also think that she will get involved romantically with him, I don't know why I think that but its a feeling...

I doubt it. Her obsession for SJW has become so strong after so many years, especially after HK's car accident. HR cried at the funeral but for me, there were crocodile's tears. I am quite sure, she felt relieved that HK had died because this meant for her that SJW was free again. SJW took care of HK during the weekends... now, he is free during the weekends which she has already used to invite SJW to spend some time with her. To conclude, she was willing to wait for him, she could even accept that SJW would never fall in love with her. Sure, deep down, she is still hoping for a change. She was satisfied with this idea "HK as SJW's only love in his life" because so far, SJW allowed her to act like his wife. Remember that she manages HK's gallery, she even buys him food and can enter his home unannounced, answers his phone calls, when he is absent. She is the one who asked him to help doctor Ha. She has a huge influence in his life and she knows that. So KIW's words mirror a lot of HR's inner thoughts: "just stay by my side" is enough!

Moreover, she knows how violent the man is... I can imagine that she won't just snitch YMR, she might even make a deal with KIW. If she tells him the whereabouts of his wife, he has to leave SJW alone.

13 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

I doubt it. Her obsession for SJW has become so strong after so many years, especially after HK's car accident. HR cried at the funeral but for me, there were crocodile's tears. I am quite sure, she felt relieved that HK had died because this meant for her that SJW was free again. SJW took care of HK during the weekends... no, he is free during the weekend. To conclude, she was willing to wait for him, she could even accept that SJW never fell in love with her. She was satisfied with this idea "HK as SJW's only love in his life" because so far, SJW allowed her to act like his wife. Remember that she manages HK's gallery, she even buys him food and can enter his home unannounced, answers his phone calls, when he is absent. She is the one who asked him to help doctor Ha. She has a huge influence in his life and she knows that. So KIW's words mirror a lot of HR's inner thoughts: "just stay by my side" is enough!

Moreover, she knows how violent the man is... I can imagine that she won't just snitch YMR, she might even make a deal with KIW. If she tells him the whereabouts of his wife, he has to leave SJW alone.

Good point.

49 minutes ago, scarletlover1 said:

And I feel she would snitch to IW. She would snitch to the abusive husband, I just know it!:rage:

I feel the same way. She knows now who the husband is due to the damn dress. 

Archived