[Drama 2019] Love in Sadness, 슬플 때 사랑한다

0ly40

34 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

In Wook is about to realize that Ma Ri changed her face to become Ha Kyung. I can't wait to see his crazy self go nuts. HR is a jealous witch yes, but she is upfront about her feelings. She does not play nice with Ma Ri and then stab her in the back. She does it face to face, she does not hide her feelingsThese episodes were a bit slow but it did emphasize the intensity of the hound's determination to find his wife. 

HR was right when she said that they entered into the trap of IW actually it was Jung Won who did, the moment he decided to change Ma Ri's face into his dead wife's. Yet he walks around as if life is just as usual. But then he also was someone who said nothing, as Hae Ra said, when his bestfriend/business partner was cheating with his wife. And JW does not remember when he realized that the "Self Portrait" was drawn by YMR, that IW picked up the same painting at the gallery earlier in the day and asked him who the artist was who created it and put 2 and 2 together then that IW knows and recognizes his wife's paintings, that IW knew who the painter of the "Self Portrait" was? And that is why IW can't just leave it alone? Come on JW, you do realize that the man is deranged, determined and dangerous don't you?  And Mari???? Sometimes the place where people are not likely to look for someone who is hiding from them, is to live right under the noses of the people looking, but not in this case. She changes her face but does not change her name? She goes to contact her friend and that friend recognizes her then lets her call her name Mari? And who does she say she is when she goes around showing her painting? This is a horribly abused woman who trembles at the voice, the shadow, the memory of the man whom she is hiding from and she is making it so easy for him to find her? 

@zenya22 I agree. Maybe that's why I like her so much. It is only natural that she would be annoyed by the YMR's interest in SJW after dedicating herself to a person who betrayed him for years, while she always loved him and was there beside him. They are human feelings.

KIW knows all the paintings because either he or the company bought them all.

About the contract, how will "WHK" do to sign? The trap is this, make her sign and then compare the signatures. Not to mention that KIW must know the letter and the signature of his wife.

And did you see the eps 16 - 20 preview? Does KIW finally discover the YMR and get her to take her back home or was it a dream? Or rather, her nightmare?

26 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Yes and no... JHR told him that SJW was interested in a woman who looked like WHK. So he knows but since he hasn't met her yet, he is not aware of the real resemblance. The friend is a doctor... but you are right that he is a womanizer. In my opinion, he didn't love WHK that much because he said that she was mean and pretty which didn't sound like a compliment. In my opinion, he seduced her because he couldn't bare to lose to his friend. The staff definitely prefers SJW over him, despite the number of surgeries he does... the staff perceives SJW as the better doctor and surgeon. Why? Because his goal is totally different from Han's goal: he wants to help people, while the other wants to make money in the first place. He will do anything for money, even if it is a risky surgery.

I doubt that KIW will be able to get YMR so soon because due to JHR's maneuver, YMR is now forced to act as his wife. JHR thought, YMR only had to act just for one meeting but this won't go the way she wants it. WHK will be pushed to keep acting as SJW's wife. Remember that she was the one who asked YMR to keep her distance from SJW which YMR did and now she is the one who asks the opposite. At the end, SJW and wHK will explain why she lived in that flat. It is her studio where she paints... the shoes/ the paintings so YMR will claim that she is painting in order to prepare a huge exhibition. This will save the gallery. YMR wants to help SJW as she feels indebted towards the plastic surgeon. Moreover, she likes him as he acts the opposite to her husband

But KIW knows WHK was not good at arts, he knows she had no talent for paintings ...

25 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

This part, I found it so bewildering as well... If I were her, after I changed my face, I would have gone to a far-away city, change my name and start anew, hoping and praying he doesn't find me. No matter how much I love painting, I would leave that career and think of something else to make a living. If I saved enough money, I would even get a fake passport and get out of the country to another country.

But she had no choice, the money she'd set aside, she'd lost running away in the woods. Besides, there's her mother.

And I wonder how KIW was foolish enough to allow the wife to have access to money so easily ... Because she had money to run away (lots of money) and in another attempt to escape at the airport she promised to pay for people's in Shanghai!

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am absolutely enthralled and gripped by this drama. It's like watching a fly buzzing around a venus fly trap. Admittedly, the most appealing is the antagonist. I am so conflicted. On one hand, I want Mar-Ri to be free from his abuse and controlling behaviour. He is definitely a tyrant. However, at the same time, I want him to find her. I'm glad they made the whole situation believable. He is relentless but you understand all the crazy and psychotic reasons behind it. Ru Soo Young is hitting every nail in the coffin with his acting. I dislike him intensely for the hurt and abuse he has subjected Ma-Ri but yet I feel compelled to feel compassion because he genuinely loves his wife - as warped as it is. Something I never can condone! I think it is the actor because as much as I hate the behaviour and I can never accept it I can't help but feel sorry for him.

What can I say about the male lead - he's simply boring. I don't know if the director is trying to showcase the contrast with RSY obsessive love for his wife versus the gentle doctor but seriously it like watching paint dry whenever he appears. I know he's hurt by his wife's betrayal but why does he manage to look pathetic with this constant pained-looked on this face. I feel zero chemistry between him and Ma-Ri.

You can't have a villain more compelling than the hero, in this case, the gap is just too wide.

However, I am riveted and I can't wait for the next episode.

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

This part, I found it so bewildering as well... If I were her, after I changed my face, I would have gone to a far-away city, change my name and start anew, hoping and praying he doesn't find me. No matter how much I love painting, I would leave that career and think of something else to make a living. If I saved enough money, I would even get a fake passport and get out of the country to another country.

yeah ! exactly what I think

1 hour ago, thundergirl3 said:

I am absolutely enthralled and gripped by this drama. It's like watching a fly buzzing around a venus fly trap. Admittedly, the most appealing is the antagonist. I am so conflicted. On one hand, I want Mar-Ri to be free from his abuse and controlling behaviour. He is definitely a tyrant. However, at the same time, I want him to find her. I'm glad they made the whole situation believable. He is relentless but you understand all the crazy and psychotic reasons behind it. Ru Soo Young is hitting every nail in the coffin with his acting. I dislike him intensely for the hurt and abuse he has subjected Ma-Ri but yet I feel compelled to feel compassion because he genuinely loves his wife - as warped as it is. Something I never can condone! I think it is the actor because as much as I hate the behaviour and I can never accept it I can't help but feel sorry for him.

What can I say about the male lead - he's simply boring. I don't know if the director is trying to showcase the contrast with RSY obsessive love for his wife versus the gentle doctor but seriously it like watching paint dry whenever he appears. I know he's hurt by his wife's betrayal but why does he manage to look pathetic with this constant pained-looked on this face. I feel zero chemistry between him and Ma-Ri.

You can't have a villain more compelling than the hero, in this case, the gap is just too wide.

I also want KIW find her. And I also feel the same about his obsessive behavior because every time he acts like this I remember him little boy, living with his father's abuses towards his mother and the threats to him. I want to keep that child in a pot and protect him. :cry: I can't help myself! 

I agree about SJW. In Brazil we call it "popsicle of chayote", that is, difficult to swallow ... This character is too boring! And the YMR of Han-byul follows the same line, that couple "popsicle of chayote"! I just keep seeing this show because of WBN and RSY.

If they had chosen Song Seung-heon for the role of the doctor ...

Oh.dont understand why the script is so unrealistic. YMR should know that her husband is too clever and beyon that, he is powerful. She should leave Seoul to another city, give up all the relations at least in 2 years.We know that she must make money but many jobs are out there, why does she insist on painting?

I also dont get the doctor. How could he hide the fact that his wife has died. Her grave could be found! And how come he did not live with his wife after her recover from the more dead that alive.? As soon as he knew that the  sickned-husband is a looking for her, they should come back together...

The drama reminds me of Sleep with enemy of Julia Roberts but it is too.....ridiculous. I dont understand why they could act like that...

Anyway, Ji Huyn Woo is so handsome. Cannot breathe looking at him...

2 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I doubt that she told her that the surgeon gave her the face of his deceased wife hence it is normal that her friend would call her YMR. However, it disturbed me that the friend would scream her name... That was too unrealistic. 

I have to disagree with you on this  point but I don't see it as normal when one wants to live as a new person, changed face to escape the abusive husband and to not change her name especially when she already saw her abusive husband following her friend whom she knows is excitable and loud, she could tweet like a bird. She did not have to use HK's name, but pick anyname. She wants to be unknown to her husband does she not? 

2 hours ago, juli® said:

I agree. Maybe that's why I like her so much. It is only natural that she would be annoyed by the YMR's interest in SJW after dedicating herself to a person who betrayed him for years, while she always loved him and was there beside him. They are human feelings.

@juli® I still don't like her, she has an unreciprocated love for years since who knows when on her friend's husband and she has never moved on. Instead she did her best to sabotage her friends marriage, although the drama did not show how she did it,  and tries to get Ma Ri back to the monster of a husband knowing how Mari was abused and could be killed. I do appreciate that the writers did not make her into the usual and common second lead girl who is nice face to face then sell them down their friend down the river while no one is looking. HR is upfront with Ma Ri but she went against JW's wishes. She will have a lot of explaining with JW and maybe sabotage her relationship to JW herself

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

@ktcjdramaI guess the objective is for the husband to find her otherwise there will be no thriller. That will be so terrifying especially when he realizes or suspects that she changed her face and maybe living as the wife of the surgeon. When IW was in his office and asked himself "they live as a married couple?", I was like, he knows...

7 minutes ago, Kỳ Thần Đỗ said:

Oh.dont understand why the script is so unrealistic. YMR should know that her husband is too clever and beyoung that, he is powerful. She should leave Seoul to another city, give up all the relations at least in 2 years.We know that she must make money but many jobs are out there, why does she insist on painting?

I agree it's unrealistic... and yet, I cannot turn away from this drama :P How about you?

Yes, new face = new identity = new life... Agree that she needs to give up all relations, except with her mom though, and go somewhere quiet and start anew there, just work odd jobs to make money.

4 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

I guess the objective is for the husband to find her otherwise there will be no thriller.

But of course... ;) otherwise we'll have no drama to watch.

@zenya22 @ktcjdrama Well, I know, from a rational perspective it does looks stupid to ask her friend to call her YMR and not use another name. But since she has changed her face, I suspect that hearing her name from her friend is the only way for her not to lose her identity entirely. I mean, she looks completely different hence we shouldn't underestimate the impact of the plastic surgery on her mental disposition. Keeping her name means that she is still herself. If she loses her face, her name and her passion... then it would mean her death literally. 

Don't forget that during her 5 years of torment, YMR's psyche had been so much scared that she was on the verge of losing herself. What we are all talking about is YMR's personality. From a gladiolus she turned into a cistus. Now, through her paintings, we are seeing her transformation. YMR is actually trying to find herself again through her paintings. However, she can not sell her pictures under her name which underlines how important her name is to her. Don't forget that she wanted to sell her paintings before and made her name famous. Besides, she can no longer act as the daughter at the institute. So officially she has already become the friend of the daughter. So the surgery had an impact on her life:

- She is no longer recognized as the daughter

- her friend wouldn't have recognized her, if she hadn't mentioned her name....using her name had a function: it created a new bound between her friend and herself because now she looked so different. If she had used another name, I doubt that the friend would have felt so close to her.... it would have been as if she was talking to a stranger.  

I hope, my explanation is understandable. Actually, she can not create a new identity with a new name because it would mean that she would have to pay for fake ID. Fake ID would be a way to discover her whereabouts as WIK has always been able to track her through fake ID. Right now, she is living without any ID at all.  She has no real identity. 

17 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I agree it's unrealistic... and yet, I cannot turn away from this drama :P How about you?

Yeah..I also cannot turn away. So I convince myself that she is too innocent and we have this drama to watch due to their mindless. :P.Looking forward to watching the next episodes.

1 hour ago, thundergirl3 said:

Big fan of Ji Hyun Woo and want to explain for him. I think the sad look in his face is reasonable. He loved his wife that much. Once again, he could see her -alive- after 5 years. A lot emotions should come up. And also a lot of confusion. I also still did not feel the "love" between him and Mary as he does not love her but sympathize now. It will be interesting to see how it could grow as love...not the love for the deceased betrayal wife or the woman with the face of his wife but the woman named Yoon Mari. I am very curious to learn how they will fall for each other, and defeat the crazy husband.  I feel sorry for the pervert but I dont see his love for MR. Those things included physical and mental tortures, isolation from friends and etc..,  should not be defined as love. He should be hospitalized for medical treatment. I guest he has OCD.!

16 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Keeping her name means that she is still herself. If she loses her face, her name and her passion... then it would mean her death literally. 

I do agree, keeping her name would mean her death literally, as she is making it easy for the husband to find her and it was her objective to change her face so she can change her life and identity. That is what it means sometimes to not ever be found again. You have to die inorder to live. What is in a name anyway, she is who she still is or whom she thinks still thinks she is no matter what the name is.  I think that scene was unnecessary.

20 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@zenya22 @ktcjdrama 

Don't forget that during her 5 years of torment, YMR's psyche had been so much scared that she was on the verge of losing herself. What we are all talking about is YMR's personality. From a gladiolus she turned into a cistus. Now, through her paintings, we are seeing her transformation. YMR is actually trying to find herself again through her paintings. However, she can not sell her pictures under her name which underlines how important her name is to her. 

Agreed. Your comment is reasonable to some extend. I could get her action in normal case. Just a woman did plastic surgery and wanted to keep her name, her dream. But she is not the case. She is in danger. An extremely danger. And she will lost everything if she was found. So...it does not really make sense to me.

7 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

I do agree, keeping her name would mean her death literally, as she is making it easy for the husband to find her and it was her objective to change her face so she can change her life and identity. That is what it means sometimes to not ever be found again. You have to die inorder to live. What is in a name anyway, she is who she still is or whom she thinks still thinks she is no matter what the name is.  I think that scene was unnecessary.

Like I said, it is easier for outsiders to say that but for someone who was never able to live as YMR for so long, giving up her name and everything... is a heavy burden, especially due to her new face. No, she is not the woman she used to be due to the abuse ... she has never been able to live with her own name for so long: she was just WIK's wife.

Well, for the husband it won't be that easy to claim his wife because she has a new face and the moment she starts living as WHK, it will be difficult to prove that YMR was his wife. Moreover, the moment YMR sells her paintings through the gallery, she can get what she wants. 

1 hour ago, zenya22 said:

I have to disagree with you on this  point but I don't see it as normal when one wants to live as a new person, changed face to escape the abusive husband and to not change her name especially when she already saw her abusive husband following her friend whom she knows is excitable and loud, she could tweet like a bird. She did not have to use HK's name, but pick anyname. She wants to be unknown to her husband does she not? 

@juli® I still don't like her, she has an unreciprocated love for years since who knows when on her friend's husband and she has never moved on. Instead she did her best to sabotage her friends marriage, although the drama did not show how she did it,  and tries to get Ma Ri back to the monster of a husband knowing how Mari was abused and could be killed. I do appreciate that the writers did not make her into the usual and common second lead girl who is nice face to face then sell them down their friend down the river while no one is looking. HR is upfront with Ma Ri but she went against JW's wishes. She will have a lot of explaining with JW and maybe sabotage her relationship to JW herself

@ktcjdramaI guess the objective is for the husband to find her otherwise there will be no thriller. That will be so terrifying especially when he realizes or suspects that she changed her face and maybe living as the wife of the surgeon. When IW was in his office and asked himself "they live as a married couple?", I was like, he knows...

@zenya22 Like I said, it's human feelings. Come to think of it, she controlled herself for five years because she knew SJW had eyes only for WHK. When the friend finally died and she thought she would have a chance, YMR appears. Worse, he gives the wife's face to the YMR to get a fresh chance. That is, the dead wife is still present in his life, not someone he wants to forget.

I thought the same. 

22 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Like I said, it is easier for outsiders to say that but for someone who was never able to live as YMR for so long, giving up her name and everything... is a heavy burden, especially due to her new face. No, she is not the woman she used to be due to the abuse ... she has never been able to live with her own name for so long: she was just WIK's wife.

Well, for the husband it won't be that easy to claim his wife because she has a new face and the moment she starts living as WHK, it will be difficult to prove that YMR was his wife. Moreover, the moment YMR sells her paintings through the gallery, she can get what she wants. 

It seemed to me that she was ready to die as YMR when she stage the seaside suicide. So I do wonder why she would want to keep the same name. True that she hasn't taken any new identity yet, thus still going by her original name. I believe starting next week she will assume WHK's identity more personally. Probably even moving back into the house with SJW since they have been making the point that she doesn't live there a big deal in the latest episode.

Now I'm back to wonder, would KIW want to claim her back now that she has a new face... like the question I posted much earlier, his obsession was her face which resembles his mother. Now that it's changed, what would then be the reason he is still obsessed with her?

1 hour ago, zenya22 said:

When IW was in his office and asked himself "they live as a married couple?", I was like, he knows...

Which episode/part was this? Because I don't remember seeing it.

57 minutes ago, juli® said:

Like I said, it's human feelings. Come to think of it, she controlled herself for five years because she knew SJW had eyes only for WHK. When the friend finally died and she thought she would have a chance, YMR appears. Worse, he gives the wife's face to the YMR to get a fresh chance. That is, the dead wife is still present in his life, not someone he wants to forget.

yet she is willing to sacrifice Ma Ri's life knowing her history to the abuser inorder to get her out of her and JW's life, yeah for her "human feelings". How sad for Ma Ri.... looks like fire to the frying pan and back to the fire.

@ktcjdramaepisode 16 12:02 but he said "they are a married couple?" and he was downing liquor too. he is spiraling down to losing his control... can't wait for him to fully realize the impact of what he said 

•  

6 hours ago, zenya22 said:

yet she is willing to sacrifice Ma Ri's life knowing her history to the abuser inorder to get her out of her and JW's life, yeah for her "human feelings". How sad for Ma Ri.... looks like fire to the frying pan and back to the fire.

Yeah, it's sad, but I guess that's what she's going to do.

6 hours ago, zenya22 said:

• episode 16 12:02 but he said "theyare a married couple" and he was downing liquor too. he is spiraling down to losing his control... can't wait for him to fully realize theimpact of what he said

He is drinking heavily, which brings us back to the question of heredity. He needs to get YMR back, too.

2 minutes ago, anony12345 said:

Have to agree

Why anyone would want a physically and mentally abused victim to go back to their abuser or be found by them is beyond me

Does the person have no chance to recover and lead a normal life? KIW only has a chance to recover with YMR next to him. I think the thriller will not go down this path, but I wonder if that would not be possible.

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

It seemed to me that she was ready to die as YMR when she stage the seaside suicide. So I do wonder why she would want to keep the same name. True that she hasn't taken any new identity yet, thus still going by her original name. I believe starting next week she will assume WHK's identity more personally. Probably even moving back into the house with SJW since they have been making the point that she doesn't live there a big deal in the latest episode.

Now I'm back to wonder, would KIW want to claim her back now that she has a new face... like the question I posted much earlier, his obsession was her face which resembles his mother. Now that it's changed, what would then be the reason he is still obsessed with her?

But don't forget that she wasn't supposed to get a plastic surgery after she had called HR. The latter had told her that SJW wanted to help her differently. So when she prepared her escape, she had planned to fake her death so that her husband would stop looking for her, then she would live with her friend's help. But her plan didn't work out because WIK didn't buy her death. Secondly, she met SJW by accident where SJW could reveal her that he would do the surgery. When she had moved her mother to the different institute, she never mentioned the existence of a second daughter: her new face... that's why when she visited her mother later, the staff couldn't recognize her as the daughter. Now, she can no longer claim her mother as the director has already seen the daughter's face. Back then, she could have mentioned the existence of a sister... so that she could have claimed to be the other daughter.

Besides, the reason why YMR wanted to run away from her husband is not just the physical abuse, but also it was about the loss of her own identity. Don't forget that the main problem was YMR's identity. When she realized that she had the face of WIK's mother, she felt that her husband didn't love her. Then WIK also tried to change YMR, to have her turned into his mother's image... that's why he chose her clothes, her hair style, her jewels aso. The moment YMR disagreed with her husband and wanted to act differently, she was beaten therefore she never lived her life as YMR. Her identity was taken away from her, even her face as she had the impression that her face was the reason for her husband's obsession and violence. In fact, he wanted to transform her into a doll. And this explains why she was not allowed to show her paintings to the world... it was as if her voice had been even taken away from her.

Finally, we shouldn't forget that HR was the one who asked her to live under her real name, since she asked her to cut ties from SJW and not to rely on him. The moment, she started living in that flat, she had to live as someone without an identity. 

Like I wrote above, asking help from her friend looked like a stupid move... but she needed a name and number in order to sell her painting. Since she didn't want to rely on SJW more than necessary, she called her friend. JHR had been cleared about that. YMR did respect her wish. 

Archived