[Drama 2019] Love in Sadness, 슬플 때 사랑한다

0ly40

On 4/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, zenya22 said:

Obsessive/abusive people's thoughts are not reasonable, and don't make sense,  it is twisted it is more in line with "if I can't have you, no one else can" and realistically as per study done worldwide, 85% of those who try to leave their abusive/obsessive partners die and most are women. And you say "but this is not real" ... sure this is drama but the way it is written, interpreted by actors and presented by the PD is realistic. You think that you know the ending that IW dies but you don't know that, you just think you know, no one knows how the drama will end. Now that I think about it, the ending or the original version is more appropriate. 

@zenya22 I didn't see the original, nor do I know anything about it. True, I don't know if KIW dies in the end, but I'm evaluating that he dies. That scene doesn't get out of my head every time I think in the end.

I really like reading your reviews, and I don't care if they're long, I really enjoyed it. Thank you!

On 4/2/2019 at 5:55 AM, zenya22 said:

Actually, his violence towards MR will worsen, he said, "I will  kill them both." he did not say, "I will kill him". My tweaked version of the ending for KIW actually is much more compassionate ending for KIW compared to the ending of the original. His "weakness is  Ma Ri" is blaming Ma Ri for KIW's obsessive behavior but instead to state that KIW's weakness is his "obssesive behavior" puts the responsibility right smack where it belongs, on KIW and when he realizes that he is responsible for his behavior, will be the start of his desire to change in my opinion. 

I think he's going to kill YMR if he finds out that she and SJW had a romantic engagement. For now, they are only in the "almost".

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, juli® said:

@zenya22 I didn't see the original, nor do I know anything about it. True, I don't know if KIW dies in the end, but I'm evaluating that he dies. That scene doesn't get out of my head every time I think in the end.

I really like reading your reviews, and I don't care if they're long, I really enjoyed it. Thank you!

I think he's going to kill YMR if he finds out that they've had a romantic engagement. For now, they are only in the "almost".

Which ever way I figure it , I cant see a happy ending in this drama.

On 4/1/2019 at 4:12 AM, bebebisous33 said:

Finally, the writer used the aspect of jealousy in both stories which explains why he made a mistake with the name because he mixed Roman tradition with Greek mythology. And now, if we take a close look, we will notice that our main characters (KIW, YMR, WHK and SJW) share the same experience. YMR fakes her death in order to escape from her abusive husband, WHK got involved in an accident and got killed which affected her husband SJW a lot. SJW gave YMR his wife’s face which could be compared to the gesture of the god: SJW created a flower, just like Aphrodite and Apollo did. On the other hand, KIW has not created anything yet, he is still living in his memories: he has distorted version of his marriage with YMR. Maybe, the beholder should perceive KIW as the jealous person and not the lover, if we had to compare him to characters from the legends as he is really jealous. YMR loved painting more than anything and he knew that, hence he allowed her to paint but only at her studio and she was not allowed to show any creation to others. Concerning WHK, SJW and doctor Ha, the latter embodies definitely the jealous one who destroyed WHK in the end due to his jealousy and negligence. As conclusion, we understand better why this drama was called love in sadness because all these legends and our drama deal with tragic love, death, pain and sadness.

@bebebisous33 sorry for cutting your post, very well told and insightful interpretation, thank you. 

I  am thinking, my pov, that the writer intentionally mixed the the Greek/Roman legends because he/she was telling the stories as per JW's slant of the stories based on JW's mindset or perception. It was JW who narrated this stories to himself (the hyacinth story) and to YMR, the anemone story. In the hyacinth story, there were also two versions, that Apollo threw the discus and his lover got hit accidentally, the 2nd version had the jealous god of wind blow the discus on the poor mortal lover of Apollo. This was the version that SJW narrated to himself. In the anemone story, SJW's narration again pointed to a jealous god of war Ares who made himself into a boar and gored the lover of Venus to death out of jealousy. JW holds a lot of guilt and blames himself for not communicating with his wife, for not directly confronting her and for not stopping his wife from going to that fateful trip to Paris. Unlike the bee who buzzes his way with the flower, he is the butterfly, like you said, who gently taps the flower. He also communicates his feeling very indirectly and in a way that his wife does not understand. For instance, when he was helping WHK pack for her trip to Paris for a "business trip" and JW said, "I am jealous of Paris" and that went over HK's head like it would have on any other wife. She said, "how can you be jealous of the city Paris?" He was speaking Greek and she Korean. Here again, I think JW was talking about Paris who stole the beautiful Helen from her husband Menalaus, King of Sparta and Helen fell in love with Paris and eloped with him. While visiting the comatose wife, SJW reads to her the classics', Wuthering Heights and plays opera music in the background again whose stories are of love betrayal and heartbreak. He communicates indirectly and why he expresses guilt later while visiting HK's grave, "I should have asked who was on the phone with you, I should have stopped you from making that trip". He had wanted to start over with WHK. He went to that conference with the doctor who successfully revived a comatose patient. He wanted to revive his wife so he can undo the past. WHK chose to die on the day SJW returned to SK from the conference. On the day he buried his wife, JW again cried and blamed himself for not protecting his wife. On his way back from the burying his wife, he meets Ma Ri and made a fateful decision that would bring the wrath of the jealous gods to make havoc on himself and the woman whose face he changed into the face of his wife. 

On 3/25/2019 at 10:44 PM, MidnightRain said:

I am really not impressed with current Ma-Ri's acting. Does she get any better? :huh:

I watched an interview of the actors in you tube of how they interpret their characters. As usual, the most befitting and relevant interpretation was by RSY and WBN. JHW's interpretation of his character was dispassionate and it shows while PHB's interpretation was way off. She said she was overwhelmed in the first reading of first part of the drama because IW did a lot of bad things to her character. She was not even in it. But it would have served her well to see the character or study how the first Ma Ri (PHN) interpreted the character then she said on the 2nd reading of the parts where she was in, she interpreted herself as being a "robot." ... SMH no wonder... girl it shows, it really shows 

4 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I watched an interview of the actors in you tube of how they interpret their characters. As usual, the most befitting and relevant interpretation was by RSY and WBN. JHW's interpretation of his character was dispassionate and it shows while PHB's interpretation was way off. She said she was overwhelmed in the first reading of first part of the drama because IW did a lot of bad things to her character. She was not even in it. But it would have served her well to see the character or study how the first Ma Ri (PHN) interpreted the character then she said on the 2nd reading of the parts where she was in, she interpreted herself as being a "robot." ... SMH no wonder... girl it shows, it really shows 

@zenya22 It was in English? Link here, please! 

I even liked the interpretation of JHW, but I think it's the character who is boring.

sadness.png

In DRAMA

[Love in Sadness] PILOT Eps 1-24, Ji Hyun Woo & Park Han Byul x Ryu Soo Young

Posted on Thursday, April 4, 2019

Article: Naver 'Love in Sadness' Park Ha Na, a special appearance.. Her great acting makes it a pity that it is [Eps 1-4]

1. [+157,-1]
Ryu Soo Young and Park Ha Na-ssi's acting are so goosebump-inducing. Respect. 

2. [+124,-4]
She'll exchange her role with Park Han Byul. ㅡㅡㅋㅋ

3. [+62,-2]
Please appear in another drama quickly. She's so pretty and her acting is good!!

4. [+36,-5]
This is so interesting. Park Han Byul in the preview.... ㅠ 

5. [+22,-0]
It's such a pity that Park Ha Na's just making a special appearance.. She has to change with Park Han Byul, right..?? 

6. [+19,-0]
I thought she was the female lead... but she's just making a special appearance... 

7. [+18,-0]
It's a role that needs skills to be able to express even the mildest emotions well. Park Ha Na did so well. I'm sure Park Han Byul feels the pressure. 

8. [+18,-2]
Both Ryu Soo Young and Park Ha Na acting so well yesterday.. It'd be good if the two are the leads. What a pity. 

9. [+16,-0]
Park Han Byul lacks charisma. No matter how bad her acting is, this is something even Kim Tae Hee can do. To be honest, I'm not even sure if she's pretty too. 

10. [+15,-0]
I hope Park Han Na gets a lead role the next time~~ Fighting.

love.png
Article: Naver 'Love in Sadness' Park Ha Na  Park Han Byul appears, close face-offs[Eps 5-8]

1. [+562,-20]
Someone who is good at acting went to do plastic surgery and became someone who is bad at acting... 

2. [+321,-15]
Can't Park Ha Na come back?

3. [+167,-20]
The immersion went down so much suddenly~~ Guess she's reading a Korean textbook again. 

4. [+107,-19]
Why are kids like her coming out? Seriously. 

5. [+86,-3]
It'd be better if Park Han Byul makes a special appearance and Park Han Na is the female lead..... Sigh... A... miscast. 

6. [+73,-1]
Park Han Na even cut her own hair, but Park Han Byul even wore makeup when she was removing the bandage. I was surprised to see her lips red. 

7. [+67,-5]
They are going to use Park Han Byul for the rest of the 40 episodes? I miss Park Ha Na.. She's so pretty and her acting is good. 

8. [+56,-5]
Bring back Park Ha Na. Park Ha Na is better at acting and she is charismatic. That's why I was able to get immersed in the show, but you're putting Park Han Byul there? 

9. [+53,-4]
Ha..... The story is nice, I like Park Ha Na and Wang Bit Na.... But Park Han Byul just isn't it. She should have done a robot drama. Park Han Byul's acting is really bad and her expressions are the same. 

10. [+55,-8]
Her husband is going around committing crimes, but she's so brazenly appearing in a drama?

Spoiler

love%2Bin%2B.png

Article: Naver 'Love in Sadness' Ryu Soo Young begins suspecting Ji Hyun Woo x Park Han Byul [Eps 9-12] 

1. [+35,-1]
Ryu Soo Young was so scary. 

2. [+26,-0]
My heart fluttered while there was tension. Ji Hyun Woo was so cool. 

3. [+29,-6]
If you sing the song 'I'm here', who wouldn't be able to find you? Ha.. 

4. [+21,-1]
The two actors' acting so handsome and cool. The drama is interesting. 

5. [+12,-0]
The acting is the same, it's so bad. They should've used Park Ha Na. Park Han Byul is frustrating. 

6. [+18,-7]
I miss Park Ha Na. 

7. [+11,-0]
Love you, Ji Hyun Woo-nim. 

Spoiler

lovein.png

Article: Naver 'Love in Sadness' Wang Bit Na makes a dangerous proposal "Please meet Ryu Soo Young" [Eps 13-16]

1. [+99,-8]
She used to be someone who hasn't done a drama, then somehow became someone's girlfriend, and now she is a female lead. I thought it was strange. Looks like she has someone backing her up. 

2. [+71,-7]
Why is she so nasty? Does she not know that she's burdensome? She got married without even knowing what her husband is doing? She said he's doing business, right? She's been eating and living well because of that and now she claims she doesn't know, cosplaying as the victim. Disgusting. 

3. [+53,-5]
I was enjoying this show, but because of the scandal..... I don't want to watch it.... Am I the only one... 

4. [+17,-0]
Park Ha Na acted really well in the beginning, so it's such a pity now~ It makes me dislike watching this drama. 

5. [+13,-0]
She married a trash~~ Would he have uploaded his sex videos with his wife too? 

6. [+10,-0]
Why is Byul's husband keeping quiet? He's more trashy than Jung Jun Young and Seung Ri... 

7. [+6,-0]
Alright, let's forget about everything else. But Park Han Byul's acting is so bad.... I can't get immersed in it. 

Spoiler

sadess.png

Article: Naver 'Love in Sadness' Ryu Soo Young trespasses Park Han Byul's house, fights with Ji Hyun Woo [Eps 16-20] 

1. [+547,-24]
Ryu Soo Young may be the villain, but he's a scene stealer and I get so absorbed in the drama because of him. I'm thankful that I could see such outstanding acting skills in the small screen~

2. [+380,-22]
Ji Hyun Woo is cool. If only I could live with a guy like him for just a day..

3. [+244,-13]
It may be acting, but Ryu Soo Young's role is goosebump-inducingly scary. I think it will be fine once Park Han Byul and Ji Hyun Woo live together... 

4. [+146,-13]
Ji Hyun Woo is so cool. 

5. [+127,-17]
I was wondering why is Park Han Byul's acting good this time, looks like it's because her life is similar to the character's situation. That's why she could get into character.. When she said, "It's my fault for picking the wrong husband too." while crying, the immersion wass daebak. 

6. [+78,-3]
This is kind of interesting. Ryu Soo Young-ssi obsessive acting gave me goosebumps. 

7. [+75,-0]
Why is Ryu Soo Young so good at acting as the villain? It's scary.

8. [+75,-3]
Ji Hyun Woo is cool. He matches his Seo Jung Won character so well. A man that's like watercolors. Gentle and strong. 

9. [+105,-40]
I was nervous the whole time. Ryu Soo Young-ssi, Park Han Byul-ssi, their acting seemed so real. 

sadnesslove.png

Article: Naver 'Love in Sadness' Ji Hyun Woo finds out about Park Han Byul and Go Ju Won's affair [Eps 21-24]

1. [+465,-26]
Is Park Han Byul still appearing? 

2. [+272,-10]
A drama that makes Ji Hyun Woo's acting go to waste. 
- [+19,-0]
I really think that Ji Hyun Woo doesn't have luck with his female leads. 

3. [+244,-6]
Alright, let's just make it that he doesn't want to see his wife's face who had committed adultery anymore and change her face once more... 

4. [+89,-9]
Ji Hyun Woo's acting is so good. 

5. [+67,-7]
Ji Hyun Woo is really sweet~~~ ♡

6. [+24,-4]
I get angry seeing Park Han Byul's face.. Ha.. I didn't watch the drama on purpose for that reason. Don't write articles of it. It stresses me out. 

7. [+16,-1]
I'm watching the rerun now, Ji Hyun Woo is so cool. To think I only found out about that now. The drama is fun~~

8. [+16,-1]
Ji Hyun Woo's acting is so good... 

9. [+26,-2]
The two were in the car together, but why did only Park Han Byul become a vegetarian, and Go Ju Won is alive? 

10. [+14,-0]
Ji Hyun Woo's acting is outstanding. He has suffered. I'd like to cheer for him. 

https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/04/love-in-sadness-pilot-eps-1-24-ji-hyun.html

Love in Sadness: An analysis of Self-portraits

Striking is that in this drama, we can witness the birth of a painting. The beholder usually only gets to see the start or the end product but not a work in progress. Nevertheless, we saw here two paintings that were not finished and each time, the finished work revealed the real state of mind of our heroine YMR, as both creations were named as a self-portrait. The difference between the paintings underlined that something had happened to our painter. But now, let’s take a closer look to these paintings. The first “Self-Portrait” was used in the first episode.

Spoiler

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-1.png

A cistus: episode 1 (the painting is unfinished, right after this taking, due to KIW’s remark, YMR gives the picture a name: ” A self-portrait”
image-4.png?w=431
The painting “A self-portrait” is now finished. We learn here the meaning of the cistus: I’ll die tomorrow.

Looking at the first picture, we can observe two things:

• the darkness of the picture: we see a dead wood, she even used a lot of black and brown
  • First, we have two flowers. Furthermore their white color contrast so much to the surrounding. Since the flowers are blossomed, they indicate that their withering is about to happen, especially due to the environment.

So since it is a self-portrait, it actually symbolizes her actual situation: she is in a terrible situation. Her husband is embodied by the dead wood, he can not bring her happiness and life, actually he is the reason why she is perishing. Her world is cold and she feels lonely. There is no light, so there is no hope. The choice of a white flower and the number of cistus caught my attention because in the episode 12, she said that the flowers represent her heart and tears. It looks like back then YMR had lost all her energy hence there are only two flowers. Due to her desperate situation, she can not even cry. She is withering like a flower… 
So the first version wasn’t just depressing because of the dark colors and the environment. Even the choice of the flower was pessimistic: I’ll die tomorrow. However, in the finale version, the beholder observes a huge difference: the flowers are burning. This indicates that not only her situation has even worsened but also her despair has increased. She is literally screaming for help and if no one can see this, then she will die. Moreover, the fire could be perceived as a final attempt from her part. She will leave her husband and if she doesn’t succeed, then she is even willing to die, to get burned. So she is well aware of her husband’s outburst, if she leaves him again.

Spoiler

image.png

episode 10: 
The painting is called “A Self-Portrait Part Two” the first and unfinished version

In the second self-portrait, we also saw a first version (third picture above). Striking is the presence of wood, just like in the first self-portrait. Nevertheless, the wood is different. Here YMR used a table, unlike in the first painting where it looks more like a dead wood. Moreover, there is a presence of a human being in this picture due to the cup of tea and the letter envelope indicating that there is life in this picture. Finally, our painter chose to draw anemones in her painting. She even drew more anemones than cistus. Since the flower is red and the color red is associated to blood and life, I come to the conclusion that YMR’s state of mind has already changed. She has been brought back to life, since the painting is already oozing more life. The first version is still dark, although the beholder can see a ray of sunshine on the table. Yet the light is barely visible. Furthermore the message behind the anemone is “May I confess my love for you?” which illustrates that her heart has started beating again. She is no longer lifeless and loveless. Like she said to SJW, the flowers symbolizes her tears and heart. She can cry now. She has started caring for SJW. Due to the presence of wood in this self-portrait, we can come to the conclusion that YMR hasn’t been able to cut ties entirely with KIW, he is still affecting her life. The wood reveals that she is still suffering from a trauma.

image-1.png?w=660
episode 11: “A Self-Portrait Part Two”, the final version

The final version mirrors the evolution of her mental health. It looks like the flowers are actually growing from the table. YMR is able to remove little by little her bad memories, recover these with new good memories. Notice that this time, the flowers are painted with green leaves indicating that the flowers are not cut or put on the table, they look as if they were really alive. Then the ray of sunshine is much more pronounced this time. The dark and gloomy atmosphere has entirely disappeared. There is now more hope. YMR is not back to her old self, yet she has changed a lot. She is alive, feeling many emotions. The presence of a living person is also more visible than in the first version. Now, we see a letter with a feather. It was as if YMR had just left the table. Since YMR is not able to paint herself, this shows how much YMR suffered under KIW. She had lost her identity and her own personality, yet this time, YMR has found the courage to show to the world that she exists with different items: the envelopes, the letter and the feather. Naturally, she has another reason now, not to draw her face, since she has received the face of WHK. This second self-portrait still outlines her identity loss but unlike in the first self-portrait, the beholder can realize that YMR is searching for her own identity. She is trying with all her might to find her own place that’s what the growing flowers are representing. The flowers are trying to find their place in that table, it looks like the flowers want to cover the table, a symbol for her attempt to forget her painful experience and memories. As conclusion, YMR is no longer pessimistic and desperate. She is alive, feeling many positive emotions and she is hoping that she can leave her past behind.

When YMR offered SJW her self-portrait, SJW could connect her painting to the famous painting of Frida Kahlo, a famous Mexican painter. Both characters were referring to that following picture, the wounded deer:

Image result for frida kahlo wounded deer
Frida Kahlo: wounded deer, 1946

Back then, Frida Kahlo had just been surged on her spine but her surgery had not been successful. Unlike in YMR’s self-portraits, Frida used an animal in order to represent herself. However, the deer has her face. Notice how the surroundings can give us a clue about Frida Kahlo’s state of mind. The forest looks lifeless, the trees are leafless, even one tree has lost a branch which lies on the ground. The dead nature embodies broken body of the painter. Furthermore, the colors (brown and beige) give a gloomy and pessimistic impression. The sun is not visible, just like there is no wave in the sea. All these elements put together make the beholder feel that there is no life and no energy. Frida Kahlo is heartbroken and broken physically. Moreover, the painter used an unreal perspective for the wounded deer. It doesn’t look like it is standing on its feet, but it doesn’t look like it is lying on the ground either. In my opinion, Frida wants to underline how terrible her physical situation is: she is not really paralyzed but she can not move freely either. She can not rest in the end. The arrows symbolize the surgery and the pain in her spine due to the surgery as the arrows are situated all around her spine. As you can see, the deer mirrors Frida Kahlo’s situation and feelings as the deer has Frida’s face. The Mexican painter is feeling powerless and she is showing her pain and despair to the world through her painting. YMR is in a different situation as she has lost her identity, unlike Frida Kahlo, that’s why the flowers have no face at all or there is no human being represented among her flowers. However, I am expecting YMR to be capable to drew a third self-portrait later which will be similar to her first painting that KIW saw in the beginning.

Spoiler

lis-painting-ymr-and-glaieul.png?w=660

A woman holding a sword lily

We know that this week, YMR will leave SJW’s side as she will use WHK’s death to her advantage. By forcing SJW to declare WHK dead, KIW will be cornered. WHK was the only link to his wife’s whereabouts. For her, this departure will have a huge impact as she will be able to free herself completely from KIW.

@zenya22 @avondale16 @MidnightRain @ktcjdrama@lolly84

40 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Love in Sadness: An analysis of Self-portraits

Striking is that in this drama, we can witness the birth of a painting. The beholder usually only gets to see the start or the end product but not a work in progress. Nevertheless, we saw here two paintings that were not finished and each time, the finished work revealed the real state of mind of our heroine YMR, as both creations were named as a self-portrait. The difference between the paintings underlined that something had happened to our painter. But now, let’s take a closer look to these paintings. The first “Self-Portrait” was used in the first episode.

Reveal hidden contents

A cistus: episode 1 (the painting is unfinished, right after this taking, due to KIW’s remark, YMR gives the picture a name: ” A self-portrait”
 The painting “A self-portrait” is now finished. We learn here the meaning of the cistus: I’ll die tomorrow.

Looking at the first picture, we can observe two things:

• the darkness of the picture: we see a dead wood, she even used a lot of black and brown
  • First, we have two flowers. Furthermore their white color contrast so much to the surrounding. Since the flowers are blossomed, they indicate that their withering is about to happen, especially due to the environment.

So since it is a self-portrait, it actually symbolizes her actual situation: she is in a terrible situation. Her husband is embodied by the dead wood, he can not bring her happiness and life, actually he is the reason why she is perishing. Her world is cold and she feels lonely. There is no light, so there is no hope. The choice of a white flower and the number of cistus caught my attention because in the episode 12, she said that the flowers represent her heart and tears. It looks like back then YMR had lost all her energy hence there are only two flowers. Due to her desperate situation, she can not even cry. She is withering like a flower… 
So the first version wasn’t just depressing because of the dark colors and the environment. Even the choice of the flower was pessimistic: I’ll die tomorrow. However, in the finale version, the beholder observes a huge difference: the flowers are burning. This indicates that not only her situation has even worsened but also her despair has increased. She is literally screaming for help and if no one can see this, then she will die. Moreover, the fire could be perceived as a final attempt from her part. She will leave her husband and if she doesn’t succeed, then she is even willing to die, to get burned. So she is well aware of her husband’s outburst, if she leaves him again.

Reveal hidden contents

episode 10: 
The painting is called “A Self-Portrait Part Two” the first and unfinished version

In the second self-portrait, we also saw a first version (third picture above). Striking is the presence of wood, just like in the first self-portrait. Nevertheless, the wood is different. Here YMR used a table, unlike in the first painting where it looks more like a dead wood. Moreover, there is a presence of a human being in this picture due to the cup of tea and the letter envelope indicating that there is life in this picture. Finally, our painter chose to draw anemones in her painting. She even drew more anemones than cistus. Since the flower is red and the color red is associated to blood and life, I come to the conclusion that YMR’s state of mind has already changed. She has been brought back to life, since the painting is already oozing more life. The first version is still dark, although the beholder can see a ray of sunshine on the table. Yet the light is barely visible. Furthermore the message behind the anemone is “May I confess my love for you?” which illustrates that her heart has started beating again. She is no longer lifeless and loveless. Like she said to SJW, the flowers symbolizes her tears and heart. She can cry now. She has started caring for SJW. Due to the presence of wood in this self-portrait, we can come to the conclusion that YMR hasn’t been able to cut ties entirely with KIW, he is still affecting her life. The wood reveals that she is still suffering from a trauma.

episode 11: “A Self-Portrait Part Two”, the final version

The final version mirrors the evolution of her mental health. It looks like the flowers are actually growing from the table. YMR is able to remove little by little her bad memories, recover these with new good memories. Notice that this time, the flowers are painted with green leaves indicating that the flowers are not cut or put on the table, they look as if they were really alive. Then the ray of sunshine is much more pronounced this time. The dark and gloomy atmosphere has entirely disappeared. There is now more hope. YMR is not back to her old self, yet she has changed a lot. She is alive, feeling many emotions. The presence of a living person is also more visible than in the first version. Now, we see a letter with a feather. It was as if YMR had just left the table. Since YMR is not able to paint herself, this shows how much YMR suffered under KIW. She had lost her identity and her own personality, yet this time, YMR has found the courage to show to the world that she exists with different items: the envelopes, the letter and the feather. Naturally, she has another reason now, not to draw her face, since she has received the face of WHK. This second self-portrait still outlines her identity loss but unlike in the first self-portrait, the beholder can realize that YMR is searching for her own identity. She is trying with all her might to find her own place that’s what the growing flowers are representing. The flowers are trying to find their place in that table, it looks like the flowers want to cover the table, a symbol for her attempt to forget her painful experience and memories. As conclusion, YMR is no longer pessimistic and desperate. She is alive, feeling many positive emotions and she is hoping that she can leave her past behind.

When YMR offered SJW her self-portrait, SJW could connect her painting to the famous painting of Frida Kahlo, a famous Mexican painter. Both characters were referring to that following picture, the wounded deer:

Frida Kahlo: wounded deer, 1946

Back then, Frida Kahlo had just been surged on her spine but her surgery had not been successful. Unlike in YMR’s self-portraits, Frida used an animal in order to represent herself. However, the deer has her face. Notice how the surroundings can give us a clue about Frida Kahlo’s state of mind. The forest looks lifeless, the trees are leafless, even one tree has lost a branch which lies on the ground. The dead nature embodies broken body of the painter. Furthermore, the colors (brown and beige) give a gloomy and pessimistic impression. The sun is not visible, just like there is no wave in the sea. All these elements put together make the beholder feel that there is no life and no energy. Frida Kahlo is heartbroken and broken physically. Moreover, the painter used an unreal perspective for the wounded deer. It doesn’t look like it is standing on its feet, but it doesn’t look like it is lying on the ground either. In my opinion, Frida wants to underline how terrible her physical situation is: she is not really paralyzed but she can not move freely either. She can not rest in the end. The arrows symbolize the surgery and the pain in her spine due to the surgery as the arrows are situated all around her spine. As you can see, the deer mirrors Frida Kahlo’s situation and feelings as the deer has Frida’s face. The Mexican painter is feeling powerless and she is showing her pain and despair to the world through her painting. YMR is in a different situation as she has lost her identity, unlike Frida Kahlo, that’s why the flowers have no face at all or there is no human being represented among her flowers. However, I am expecting YMR to be capable to drew a third self-portrait later which will be similar to her first painting that KIW saw in the beginning.

Reveal hidden contents

A woman holding a sword lily

We know that this week, YMR will leave SJW’s side as she will use WHK’s death to her advantage. By forcing SJW to declare WHK dead, KIW will be cornered. WHK was the only link to his wife’s whereabouts. For her, this departure will have a huge impact as she will be able to free herself completely from KIW.

@zenya22 @avondale16 @MidnightRain @ktcjdrama@lolly84

Awesome review, very sensitive. :thumbsup:

On 4/1/2019 at 4:12 AM, bebebisous33 said:

They are carefree and even selfish as they let people work for them believing that generosity is a given. In Ha’s eyes, SJW is like an ant forgetting that SJW is working in order to support him and his wife as well. Only after WHK’s car accident, HSH started working like crazy accepting all different kind of patients, even risking the patients’ life. HSH even believes that their office is working so well because he made so many surgeries, but in my opinion, HSH is overestimating himself as he is overlooking SJW’s reputation. SJW was invited to a radio program, he even wrote a book… people from far away are coming to his office. Yet, HSH has never really considered SJW’s work as worthy to be mentioned because he has a different approach: SJW is working for his patients so that the latter can start enjoying their life, while HSH only worked out of guilt and pride. He never cares for his patients in reality. His words can be compared to the singing of the cicada: HSH always tries to praise himself in front of SJW. He is really jealous of SJW and not just because the latter married WHK. HSH could study because of SJW and his family, SJW was definitely the better student. Even after the big revelation, HSH shows his true face: he doesn’t feel sorry that he had an affair with WHK, he just reveals his jealousy and “hatred” for SJW. It would be interesting to see how HSH lives after leaving SJW’s office.

@bebebisous33This made me think of the WHK and SJW that they seemed to be having marital problems. SJW has the soul of a poet, he is an artist by heart. He is a fan of the great works of literature including the Greek and Roman tragedies, and appreciates beauty in art. He became a doctor and selected his practice to be a reconstructive surgeon closely related to art as he repairs broken body parts to wholeness and beauty.  WHK on the other hand is an artist who seem to be struggling with espressing her talent as an artist and maybe feeling insecure with SJW. And SJW in turn tries to woo his wife the only way he knows how, through the what he loves as in taking her to an opera and giving her a gallery and communicating himself through the characters in the stories he read. So there seems to be a communication and compatibility gap between them which is not insurmountable except that both did not address the problem especially SJW who acknowledges that he failed to say or do what was necessary. WHK may have felt intimidated and those feelings may have been exacerbated by He Ra the mantis and Ha the cicada. He Ra told MR it was safe for her to go to the gallery and pose as HK because none of the employees know HK's face except Ha and JW and both will be busy that day and won't see MR posing as HK. Which means HK never went to visit her husband in his office even when they worked in the same building yet He Ra prances in and out of JW's office like nobody's business and the employees know her. HK may have gone to the cicada for some advise or to unburden herself and the cicada took advantage. Instead of helping his friends, the butterfly and the flower to mend their misunderstanding he started singing to the flower who could not help but listen which then turned into more than listening. When JW realized that he had to do something, it was way too late as HK seemed to not even want to have anything to do with him. I think by then she was already falling in love with the cicada. IW has his eye on Ha as IW said that he was waiting for the break in the partnership of Ha and JW which will allow IW to "peep in" and take advantage. Ha also has a brother who was always in trouble and relied on Ha to bail him out of trouble. IW may take advantage of that and use the brother to get Ha to cooperate just like he used MR's mom. Everytime I think of IW as a pitiful boy who needs help, he does something so scary that I am afraid of what he will do and I think he should be in a strait jacket. 

On 4/4/2019 at 10:18 AM, juli® said:

@zenya22 It was in English? Link here, please! 

I even liked the interpretation of JHW, but I think it's the character who is boring.

You are right, I re-watched and I realized that I did not read fully the interpretation of what he said. I also liked his interpretation. It is very appropriate to his character. He is a happy person who also knew sadness but not able to express the sadness and wanted to start over and love again. I apologize to JHW. :smile:

@zenya22 Well, your last analysis confirmed my theory about Hae Ra's involvement in creating a riff between WHK and SJW. So far, SJW has not realized it yet. Now, we know that HR didn't know about the identity of the lover. However, I am quite sure that HR gave a worse picture of WHK than she was in reality. I also would like to say that I will write more about KIW and HR tomorrow. I have a different perception of their scene together...

Archived